New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Two Worlds Collide IC

Alier grunts. As are you. It comes with surviving the struggle against the wyld. Alier looks to Pillar. From what I understand your kind do somewhat of the same thing.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ifni View Post
    Hmm. If they stick to the wide-open spaces, well enough, but if they build a lead and then cross into trees... mind you, traveling at such speed through the forest would be more than a little dangerous.

Frost considers for a moment, and then beats her membraneous wings harder, trying to close the gap. She wasn't paying that much attention to the skiff during the fight, but any vehicle she is familiar with would have handles and protrusions on the outside, for towing or docking if nothing else. The shard-bat form is well-equipped for hanging from the smallest outcroppings in rock or ice, and if things are really desperate she can grow a tail or tiny hands to help herself hold on. As she closes in, she tucks her wings back and drops into a smooth dive, relying on the absence of rear windows to conceal her approach. There is a certain exhilaration in feeling the wind whistling past her fur, an echo of her time with the Blooded Hawks. Although in those jumps, she didn't have wings to catch herself if she misjudged.
    As she descends into her grab, the skiff picks up speed again; causing her to miss her foothold. Claws scrabble across the smooth surface of its hull, luckily provoking no response from the interior, as she finds herself close enough to make another attempt. She can still keep up with her accelerated pace, but will likely either tire or be outsped for good if she can't pull this off.

Quote Originally Posted by Darian Redrath View Post
    Alier grunts. As are you. It comes with surviving the struggle against the wyld. Alier looks to Pillar. From what I understand your kind do somewhat of the same thing.
    There is a pause before he responds. "Indeed. The Gremlins of the Reaches are formidable foes. Let us hope our allies can come to an agreement so that we need not test each other again." He lapses back into silence, drawing a small hammer out of a pouch and carefully beating the dents out of his shield. Being this close, Alier can see that the Alchemical's sword-blade is of an unfamiliar alloy; clearer than any steel blade he had ever seen and seemingly engraved with a wave-like pattern.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thank you to Ceika for the signature and avatar.

Read Sons of the Fallen here

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Drat. She may only get one more chance at this, and the skiff's smooth hull had offered little purchase to her clutching claws.

An alternate tactic presents itself, inescapably. A keen-eyed observer might surprise an uncharacteristic expression on the bat's narrow face, as if it were trying to wince.

Focusing her Essence, Frost concentrates on the long shards of ichor on her wings, and stimulates the glands that produce the blue liquid. It steams out into the air and freezes instantly, into more long glacial spikes. The weight bears down on her wings, but she grits her teeth and forces her muscles to keep powering her forward. But it's cold enough. Good. (Well, sort of; it means she has no more excuses.)

With one great beat of her wings, she flings herself forward, to strike the back of the skiff with wings spread wide. (Hopefully, her light-boned form will not make an impact audible from within.) The icicles splinter, leaving long weeping trails of ichor which splatter across the smooth surface. Frost presses her wings flat against the skiff and concentrates on making the ichor flow freely, crystallizing and hardening against the cold metal, forming a brilliant spray of blue icicles to criss-cross her wings and bind her against the skiff as surely as a tongue stuck to a frozen surface.

Ow ow ow cold is running through her mind on constant loop, and there's the question of how she's going to detach herself when the time comes (or at least, how to do so unobtrusively: shapeshifting to something heavy will certainly do it, but will be rather obvious), but those are problems for the future.

Spoiler
    Show
    OK, shapeshifting stunts it is, using Hybrid Body Rearrangement. You could implement this as a Quills attack on the skiff, I guess, or something using the Wall Walker mutation? Or I can roll another Athletics + something? And/or Stealth, to do this relatively quietly? I can probably shapeshift Air Adaptation to deal with the cold if necessary.

(And yes, I probably could've come up with an alternate plan, but the mental image of this one amused me.)
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

The ice adheres Frost firmly to the side of the skiff just in time, as its constant acceleration brings it up to a speed faster than anything she could hope to manage in any form; approaching the rates attained by the airship that brought her here. With this speed comes increased vibration and noise, especially unpleasant to her sensitive chiropteran ears, as it hurdles its way forward, making her already uncomfortable journey downright painful. If this keeps up for very long she could be in rough shape by the time it finishes. Still, it's better than losing her quarry entirely.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Treat this as an environmental effect, damage 1B/hour with a Trauma of 1 that increases by 1 for every hour.

Meanwhile, the airship arrives back at the site of the Moot. Pillar finishes his maintenance but remains below decks, where he is joined by Razor. Spend the next posting period deciding how you want to handle this, it is assumed that you worked it out on your way and that the Alchemicals will stay hidden unless you specifically ask them to come out.

Spoiler
    Show
    Also, because I promised, take 4 xp each for completing the first session. Frost and Tinia each get 1 bonus point for being the most active party members for the session.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Frost's ears twitch wildly as the craft speeds up. If only she could shapeshift them away, without changing the rest... but Luna meant her Chosen to gain the strengths of their borrowed forms, not their weaknesses.

Luna also meant her Chosen to be survivors. Well enough.

She lays her head against the smooth surface of the skiff and tries to rest. She may need to move fast, later.

Spoiler
    Show
    Heh. Since mutations gained by shapeshifting don't confer their negative aspects, I don't think she can actually make herself deaf.

Here are some Stamina+Resistance rolls, but since she can heal a level of bashing damage for a single mote (and she will do this whenever she gets hurt), this isn't likely to be a serious threat to her. Let me know how long it lasts.

First hour: (7d10)[9][5][3][6][2][6][9](40) vs difficulty 1.
    Second hour: (7d10)[7][5][7][10][4][5][8](46) vs difficulty 2.
    Third hour: (7d10)[6][3][9][5][5][1][7](36) vs difficulty 3.
    Fourth hour: (7d10)[3][6][1][2][6][10][8](36) vs difficulty 4.
    Fifth hour: (7d10)[9][3][5][8][8][7][3](43) vs difficulty 5.
    Sixth hour: (7d10)[10][3][2][7][8][9][7](46) vs difficulty 6.

EDIT: Should cost her 3m in the first six hours (or 0m if it's less than three hours).
    Last edited by Ifni; 2014-07-05 at 11:46 AM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

The trip was quiet for Tempest; he kept his eyes on the horizon, his ears on the humm of the engine, and trusted his miniscule crew to keep the rest of the ship in order. None of his men had failed him yet, and he was sure they wouldn't now either. Of any of the other Lunars needed anything, he figured they wouldn't be bashful about coming up and talking, either; he didn't need all of his concentration to fly, he just liked it that way.

This time, he didn't bother to park the Call off in the forest somewhere; they were in too much of a hurry to bother with that. Instead, when they arrived the captain would fly right up to the edge of the moot and land there. Some of the others may take offense; they'll live.
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Going with Recaiden's plan, even though they didn't post it in IC.

Frost's ears twitch wildly as the craft speeds up. If only she could shapeshift them away, without changing the rest... but Luna meant her Chosen to gain the strengths of their borrowed forms, not their weaknesses.

Luna also meant her Chosen to be survivors. Well enough.

She lays her head against the smooth surface of the skiff and tries to rest. She may need to move fast, later.

Spoiler
    Show
    Heh. Since mutations gained by shapeshifting don't confer their negative aspects, I don't think she can actually make herself deaf.

Here are some Stamina+Resistance rolls, but since she can heal a level of bashing damage for a single mote (and she will do this whenever she gets hurt), this isn't likely to be a serious threat to her. Let me know how long it lasts.

First hour: [roll0] vs difficulty 1.
    Second hour: [roll1] vs difficulty 2.
    Third hour: [roll2] vs difficulty 3.
    Fourth hour: [roll3] vs difficulty 4.
    Fifth hour: [roll4] vs difficulty 5.
    Sixth hour: [roll5] vs difficulty 6.

EDIT: Should cost her 3m in the first six hours (or 0m if it's less than three hours).
    Five hours later, and somewhat battered by the combination of cold metal on exposed skin, vibration, and loud noises, Frost feels it come to a stop. One last jerk, even more painful than the rest, and she's able to peel herself off its hull and take off. The skiff has stopped in front of a squat bunker, built using the same odd alloys as the vehicle, and she sees the last of the crew making their way inside. She may not be able to understand their language, but the tone of their conversation is one familiar to anyone who works with soldiers. They sound subdued but not despondent, although almost everything is muffled by the building's thick walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilorin Lorati View Post
    The trip was quiet for Tempest; he kept his eyes on the horizon, his ears on the humm of the engine, and trusted his miniscule crew to keep the rest of the ship in order. None of his men had failed him yet, and he was sure they wouldn't now either. Of any of the other Lunars needed anything, he figured they wouldn't be bashful about coming up and talking, either; he didn't need all of his concentration to fly, he just liked it that way.

This time, he didn't bother to park the Call off in the forest somewhere; they were in too much of a hurry to bother with that. Instead, when they arrived the captain would fly right up to the edge of the moot and land there. Some of the others may take offense; they'll live.
    Following the plan devised by Tinia, the crew stay behind and the Lunars enter in a square formation, with the Alchemicals in the center. Many of the attendees stop whatever they are doing to gawk, even the beastmen servants, who until this point appeared incapable of independent thought, seem taken aback. Sushem the Lion, who had been standing guard over the elder's grove, enters it for a minute and then waves the group in. The elders have formed into a loose semi-circle with Ingosh at the center, and it is he who begins the meeting. "So, it seems you have decided to take the dramatic approach." Luckily, he sounds more amused than anything. "I sent you out looking for information, and perhaps bodies, and you bring us this. What do we have here and where are Swift Killing Frost and Peleps Matthias Offendson?" It is possible that, as one of the few surviving Lunars who can remember the High First Age, he already has some idea what the Alchemicals are; but may be testing to see how much you know. For his part, Razor is taking this much better than Pillar, who is looking distinctly wary at the prospect of being so surrounded but is keeping his sword sheathed.
    Last edited by Iamyourking; 2014-07-06 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Removing response to Darian's deleted post
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #248
    Firbolg in the Playground

Tinis steps forward, out of the square and into the heart of the semi-cricle, looking proud.

"What we have here are the Exalted of the Great Maker Autochthon, returned after millennia to seek help from the Solars and Sidereals. They are called Unflagging Pillar," a wave behind her, "and Immaculate Razor, no relation of our friends on the Isle." Her voice is dripping with contempt as she introduces them.
    "The object was armor of their construction, and they are scouts, lost and looking."

She here takes a carved bone from her belt and starts scratching clawspeak runes into the dust and snow to finish the explanation.
    Swift-Killing Frost follows their vessel to gather more information, while Matthias fled into the woods when he and I were ambushed.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Tempest blanches at the comment from the Elder; even though it wasn't really an attempt to be flashy, he should have realized that would end up being the perception. Bowing, he replied to Ingosh's comment: "My apologies for any alarm I may have caused, Elder. It was out of a desire to bring these two to you all as quickly as I could, not an attempt to be flashy."
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Tempest blanches at the comment from the Elder; even though it wasn't really an attempt to be flashy, he should have realized that would end up being the perception. Bowing, he replied to Ingosh's comment: "My apologies for any alarm I may have caused, Elder. It was out of a desire to bring these two to you all as quickly as I could, not an attempt to be flashy."
    "Oh, no need to apologize; there wasn't any harm done. Besides, I'm sure people will be talking about this for weeks."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Consider this progress towards being able to increase your Reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    Tinia steps forward, out of the square and into the heart of the semi-cricle, looking proud.

"What we have here are the Exalted of the Great Maker Autochthon, returned after millennia to seek help from the Solars and Sidereals. They are called Unflagging Pillar," a wave behind her, "and Immaculate Razor, no relation of our friends on the Isle." Her voice is dripping with contempt as she introduces them.
    "The object was armor of their construction, and they are scouts, lost and looking."

She here takes a carved bone from her belt and starts scratching clawspeak runes into the dust and snow to finish the explanation.
    Swift-Killing Frost follows their vessel to gather more information, while Matthias fled into the woods when he and I were ambushed.
    Ingosh's eyes dart down to read the clawspeak and his brow furrows. He murmurs "I see" as he leans back, deep in thought. As he ponders, another elder addresses the Alchemicals in Old Realm. "I assume you speak this, if the circle was able to communicate with you. Exactly what help do you seek?" Razor responds "None other than the restoration of the Maker himself. For that, my party and I breached the barriers separating us from you and came looking for anyone who could help us. I have been informed that both my primary and secondary choices are unavailable, but that you may know how I can find them." A third elder, known as a staunch Sun King Seneschal, injects here. "I don't know if we can help, and I'm sure that even if the Sidereals know something they won't lift a finger to aid you, but if you restore the Solars I have no doubt they would help you out of gratitude. If anyone could do it, it would be them." This sends a wave of surprise through the assembly, as most of them start angrily rebuking him, before Ingosh leaves his reverie and calls for quiet. "We need to discuss this. Please leave us, we will summon you again when we have reached a consensus." He gestures to a wizened Lunar sitting on his left. "Razor, please tell Azhar here everything you know about Autochthon's condition. He is among the wisest of our number, if there is anything we can do he will tell you."
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Frost flies high first, to get a good vantage point across the surrounding land and look for other signs of activity. The bunker is worrying; it suggests that the strangers have been present for a while, long enough to build fortified positions, and that they're no longer restricted to a single encampment.

That done, she circles down to land lightly on top of the bunker, listening to the conversation within. She listens in particular for new voices - is this just a way-station, or are they reporting in? The language is strange, even more unfamiliar than the alien Exalts' distorted Old Realm, but it seems to share the same roots. She's hardly a linguist, but if she can infer the direction of the changes from the memory of Pillar and Razor's speech, perhaps she can reconstruct some of what these are saying.

If not... hmm. She studies the construction of the bunker as she listens, wondering how new it is, and how it was built.

Spoiler
    Show
    Int+Linguistics!
    (In Which Ifni Wishes She'd Taken An Intelligence Excellency...)

(5d10)[6][1][8][4][1](20)
    Possible stunt: (3d10)[3][9][5](17)
    EDIT: Yeah, going to guess that doesn't add up to much.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2014-07-09 at 12:20 AM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Frost flies high first, to get a good vantage point across the surrounding land and look for other signs of activity. The bunker is worrying; it suggests that the strangers have been present for a while, long enough to build fortified positions, and that they're no longer restricted to a single encampment.

That done, she circles down to land lightly on top of the bunker, listening to the conversation within. She listens in particular for new voices - is this just a way-station, or are they reporting in? The language is strange, even more unfamiliar than the alien Exalts' distorted Old Realm, but it seems to share the same roots. She's hardly a linguist, but if she can infer the direction of the changes from the memory of Pillar and Razor's speech, perhaps she can reconstruct some of what these are saying.

If not... hmm. She studies the construction of the bunker as she listens, wondering how new it is, and how it was built.
    Unfortunately, not being much of a linguist and hindered by barely being able to hear them, Frost catches little. She hears most of them quiet down until only one is talking, along with a mention of silver monsters, and a second, more resonant, voice briefly respond. A study of the bunker's construction reveals that it shows no sign of rust or weathering, which based on her knowledge of metal construction means that it couldn't have been here longer than a month. It seems to be metal sheets bolted onto a wood framework, an rare design in the North outside of Ironfell due to the difficulty of making and transporting large and even sheets but fairly common in those places that can manage it. Her reverie is interrupted as the bunker begins to vibrate and a porthole slides open to reveal a conical protrusion laced with starmetal and Essence building on its tip.

Meanwhile, back at the Moot, the group is swarmed by curious onlookers seeking to know what they found. (I'll just assume you repeated the same things you said to your crew and the Elders unless you have something specific you want to add). Regardless of your responses, they eventually drift off to what they were doing before you got here; although a day of festivities has subdued them somewhat. Eventually, you are summoned back; and can tell already that this was not an amenable agreement. Many of the Elders show varying degrees of anger and the remainder are clearly exhausted. The Alchemicals are brought in from a different area as Ingosh addresses them. "Mr. Razor, based on the information you have provided us, there is little that we can do to help Autochthon that your people have not done already. Furthermore, although the suggestion to restore the Solars has merit; we have been trying for thousands of years without success and do not believe that their restoration would be for the best. We wish you luck with the Sidereals, but warn you that, as the instigators of the Usurpation, it is exceptionally unlikely they will agree to a restoration either." He turns to you and asks you to escort them away.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #253
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alier strides out away from the wall he was leaning upon to come to the side of Unflagging Pillar. I am truly sorry that our knowledge could be of no benefit, warrior. This last is spoken with a rough respect to his once-opponent.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Er...

Frost maneuvers backward a little, eyeing the contraption warily. Is it a weapon, some kind of Essence cannon? Getting in front of it doesn't seem wise. But she studies its construction carefully, trying to memorize it so she can report back. Do those fine lacings of starmetal follow any pattern familiar from her own studies into the channeling of Essence? Form may yet give insight into function.

Spoiler
    Show
    Frost is trying to work out what it might do, but otherwise keeping quiet and staying out of the way. If this is Int+Lore,
    (5d10)[9][5][3][10][6](33)
    If Int+Occult, it's an extra two dice (2d10)[4][3](7)

Possible stunt: (3d10)[7][7][4](18)
    EDIT: 3-5 sux depending on stunt.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2014-07-12 at 10:32 AM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

The archer really didn't have much to say regarding the whole situation, so he kept to the letter of truth when answering the questions for his kin.

Tempest looks between the Elders and the pair of Alchemicals, following after Alier in order to escort the two guests away. "It's unfair to say that it was of no benefit, Alier; I'm sure the meeting with our elders was of some benefit - but it does not appear to have led to any sort of agreement. This, of course, leads to a question: Are you going to go to find the Sidereals? It sounds like a dangerous proposition, even for ones as powerful as you.

"Then again, I suppose you don't have much choice in the matter if you want your lord to live."

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Razor faces the assembled Elders. “Approximately five hundred million people live in Autochthonia. We have thrown everything we have into coming here, and if it is true that neither you nor the Sidereals can help us then all of those hundreds of millions of people are doomed. At the current rate, we would be unable to evacuate more than a few tens of thousands before the Creator dies; and those survivors would be refugees, deprived of their homes and cast into a new world that has no place for them. I bear you no ill will, but ask that you reconsider if the Sidereals will be as little help as you claim.” He turns and leaves, Pillar following behind him.

Alier strides out away from the wall he was leaning upon to come to the side of Unflagging Pillar. I am truly sorry that our knowledge could be of no benefit, warrior. This last is spoken with a rough respect to his once-opponent.
    “Thank you. May we meet under better circumstances next time.”

The archer really didn't have much to say regarding the whole situation, so he kept to the letter of truth when answering the questions for his kin.

Tempest looks between the Elders and the pair of Alchemicals, following after Alier in order to escort the two guests away. "It's unfair to say that it was of no benefit, Alier; I'm sure the meeting with our elders was of some benefit - but it does not appear to have led to any sort of agreement. This, of course, leads to a question: Are you going to go to find the Sidereals? It sounds like a dangerous proposition, even for ones as powerful as you.

"Then again, I suppose you don't have much choice in the matter if you want your lord to live."
    This time it is Razor who responds. “As you say, we have little choice. I will search for the Sidereals until I find them, and if they cannot help I will return home with the information I have collected and allow those who make decisions to determine what happens next. Danger does not bother me as long as my sacrifice is for the good of Autochtonia.

The four reach an open space away from the clearing and Razor nods his head slightly. "May the Creator bless you both." He pulls the silver rectangle off his chest and throws its to the ground, unfolding into the flying disc that he had spotted them from before their first meeting. This time though, it is Pillar who climbs aboard; with Razor nimbly leaping onto his shoulders. It rises into the air and is flies off, albeit much slower than it had been before. Based on comparing its speed to that of his airship, Tempest is able to estimate that it will be back at the site of the battle in slightly less than a day.

Er...
    Frost maneuvers backward a little, eyeing the contraption warily. Is it a weapon, some kind of Essence cannon? Getting in front of it doesn't seem wise. But she studies its construction carefully, trying to memorize it so she can report back. Do those fine lacings of starmetal follow any pattern familiar from her own studies into the channeling of Essence? Form may yet give insight into function.

Spoiler
    Show
    Frost is trying to work out what it might do, but otherwise keeping quiet and staying out of the way. If this is Int+Lore,
    [roll0]
    If Int+Occult, it's an extra two dice [roll1]

Possible stunt: [roll2]
    EDIT: 3-5 sux depending on stunt.
    She is able to recognize them as being similar to those on the gates to Yu-Shan. Of course, she has never actually used said gates; but one of the things that all members of the Pact are taught is what they look like so they can be avoided. Moonsilver tattoos may protect them from being scryed upon, but they aren’t much good if a passing god happens to see a Lunar and report them to the Sidereals. If it fulfills anywhere close to the same purpose it would be a monumental feat of engineering-the gates she knows were the product of decades of work by the greatest Solar artisans. Although, in retrospect, the gates were built before Autochthon left and if anyone could remember how to make them it would be him.
    There is a sound like tearing cloth, and a black circle roughly ten feet in diameter appears a few inches off the ground. The mortals file back into their skiff, which makes its way into the circle and then vanishes. The circle itself follows soon after, disappearing with a loud pop and a smell like that which follows a lightning strike. The protuberance retracts back into the bunker and the sound of a beating hammer, along with other less understandable noises, can be heard from within.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #257

Tinia's eyes widen. That many? Well, they are only humans. But even so, that many humans is worth worrying over. And Autochthon is something greater, probably. She steps up to the elders again.
    "We can't let half a billion people die just on account of those two idiots. What did they need that only the Solars would do for? We're not the Exalted host from the First Age, but if there's a problem this whole moot can't put right, I wouldn't believe it."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Report back, or try to learn more?

Frost hesitates for a long moment. The device - instantaneous transport? - and the presence of the bunkers is important information. But there may be more to learn - and she trusts her own ability to escape, if need be, if things go awry.

And it's going to be a long flight home.

She edges sideways along the roof to the porthole where the protrusion emerged, looking for gaps or cracks in the metal plating where she might be able to see through. Or hear through - if she can find a crack, a whistle above the range of human hearing will map the room and its contents for her.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #259
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alier stares at the disappearing mechanical constructs with a peculiar intensity. We have a hard enough time maintaining the border of creation and avoiding confrontation with the sidereals. But no being should be subject to the chaos of the wyld like that. Still... something makes me uneasy. Alier turns to Tempest. What if those two speak to the sidereals of our locations, numbers and of the moot? And what if, left no other option, the alchemicals attempt to invade or borders before theirs collapse? We cannot afford the bloodshed of either case.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Tempest watches the pair fly off, rubbing his temple and letting out a frustrated sigh. "You're right Alier, but I really don't think we've seen the last of them, either way."

21. - Top - End - #261
    Dwarf in the Playground

Indeed. Alier turns back and stares out at the departing figures.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

Tinia's eyes widen. That many? Well, they are only humans. But even so, that many humans is worth worrying over. And Autochthon is something greater, probably. She steps up to the elders again. "We can't let half a billion people die just on account of those two idiots. What did they need that only the Solars would do for? We're not the Exalted host from the First Age, but if there's a problem this whole moot can't put right, I wouldn't believe it."
    “Do not let your low opinion of them cloud your view of their people. Just as we were created to adapt and endure, they were made to build; and claim to have spent centuries struggling with this problem. They have already tried most of the possible solutions we thought of, and taking the time to devise an innovative solution is not something that could be practically done with them here waiting for an answer. That isn’t to say there is nothing we could do, I’m sure there would be some lesser issues we could do something about Perhaps the whole Pact could do what they asked, but to pull all three hundred Lunars from every corner of Creation, leaving their territories and projects behind, to work on something with no guarantee of success is something that we are very reluctant to do. Just getting this small assembly to agree on something is difficult enough; it would have to be a threat to all of Creation before everyone would come together and sacrifice for the sake of outsiders like that.”
    “Ultimately, we have no guarantee except their words that there even are that many people in Autochthonia or that they would only be able to evacuate a small number. The Realm, the Wyld, the Sidereals; those are threats that we know we face, and we are loath to abandon them to help people of uncertain motive. If the Sidereals and their lackeys are going to usurp the position of Princes of the Earth, let them deal with the responsibilities that come with the title. That is not to mention the fact that we already fought one war against the Primordials, and even if Autochthon was on our side once there’s no telling what millennia of corruption has done to him. We could throw everything we have into restoring him only to find that he holds the excesses of the First Age against us; putting far more people than Razor claims live in Autochthonia in danger. Or what if the Autochthonians turn on us as soon as they are no longer in danger? With any luck, Swift Killing Frost will return soon with information to corroborate what we have been told; but until then there is little we can practically do.”
    All of a sudden he looks very old and tired. “If all else fails, I will put everything I have into evacuating and resettling those people. They don’t deserve to die for the actions of Autochthon and his servants. Now please, leave me. Your group and anyone who wishes to join them will be charged with any further dealings with Autochthonia for the time being and I need to think of what you need to do next.”

Report back, or try to learn more?

Frost hesitates for a long moment. The device - instantaneous transport? - and the presence of the bunkers is important information. But there may be more to learn - and she trusts her own ability to escape, if need be, if things go awry.

And it's going to be a long flight home.

She edges sideways along the roof to the porthole where the protrusion emerged, looking for gaps or cracks in the metal plating where she might be able to see through. Or hear through - if she can find a crack, a whistle above the range of human hearing will map the room and its contents for her.
    Buildings like this tend to be well sealed against the elements, but nonetheless she is able to find a small crack. The whistle reveals a series of bunks, a staircase to a lower level, and a figure bent over the protrusion. There is something subtly off about its proportions, another Alchemical?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry about this taking so long, the speech was a monster to write. Ifni, if you have any questions about the layout I’ll try to oblige you.
    Last edited by Iamyourking; 2014-07-14 at 08:53 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

That lower level might be problematic, if it hides more troops or another of the strange Exalts. But that's a risk she'll have to deal with.

What do you want to learn here?

The function of the strange gates is the only obvious piece of information she might gain, at the cost of letting the strangers know that she knows about them. Is that a worthwhile trade? Hard to judge.

After considering for a long moment, she drops off the building and flies a circle around it, looking for tracks. Boot-marks, normal or too-deep, and the subtler tracks of the floating skiffs. How much activity is there, around this little outpost?

Spoiler
    Show
    She's looking for any humanoid tracks coming from the building apart from the ones between where the skiff landed and the building (e.g. reflecting people who live there going in and out), and any landing marks or tracks for other skiffs.

(5d10)[7][1][4][3][5](20) Perception+Survival I think?

(3d10)[5][10][3](18) possible stunt dice.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

She is unable to find anything other than the tracks left by the men who were just there. However, it is likely that they had passed through there on the way into Creation; so obviously those aren't the only possible tracks that could be there.

Meanwhile, back at the moot, the festivities are winding down. The attendees are preparing to leave, with those from the West and East carrying word of the Alchemicals to their regional elders, with the exception of those who live nearby, your group, and a handful of others who were either asked to stay or remained of their own accord. Messages have been sent out to those Lunars and spirits who are known to be knowledgeable about Autochthon or possess artifacts relating to him, but until a response is heard from them and Frost returns there is little to be done.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #265

"Those are all valid considerations, but it is easy to hear what they mean."
    Tinia draws up all her height to look the elder in the eyes.
    "You are a coward."

The young Lunar turns sharply and walks away, trying to mingle with the few who have stayed at the moot of their own accord, learning their names and their reasons.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

26. - Top - End - #266
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alier looks to the elder before similarly turning to mingle with the crowd to grab some food and to see if any others of the swords of luna remain.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

"Those are all valid considerations, but it is easy to hear what they mean."
    Tinia draws up all her height to look the elder in the eyes.
    "You are a coward."

The young Lunar turns sharply and walks away, trying to mingle with the few who have stayed at the moot of their own accord, learning their names and their reasons.
    A striking beauty catches her eye, deep in thought and with a sad look on her face.
    Alier looks to the elder before similarly turning to mingle with the crowd to grab some food and to see if any others of the swords of luna remain.
    Bjorn waves him over with a roast salmon, offering it to him once he gets close. “Sounds like I missed a good fight! Come now, let me know how it went!” A couple of others nearby lean in to here.

Elsvet was not at the moot, but not long afterwards received a messenger bird outlining the situation and indicating that her talents would be valuable in such an instance.

(Since there isn’t a backstory or description for Oza I wasn’t comfortable introducing her. She’s at the moot, but what she was doing is up to you, Crumplepunch. Since this was a short post, I'll do an add-on for Frost as soon as Ifni posts; everybody else, this is your chance to meet the new party members and do some interacting.)
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Wait. Could this be the gate to... Autochthonia? The - strangers, Frost decides, she won't label them 'invaders' just yet - their portal to Creation?

If that's the case, this information is too important to risk.

She had been considering knocking on the door, trying to learn more directly. But if there's any chance her guess might be right, the stakes just got considerably higher.

Time to rake in your winnings and leave the table, my girl.

If this redoubt is to be captured, a team will have a better chance than she will alone; if it's to be suborned, there are silver-tongued Lunars aplenty but she is not one of them. And when she is the only Lunar who knows this much - no, you can't risk dying here, or alerting the enemy.

The pale shard-bat circles once more over the redoubt, memorizing the scene, gauging landmarks - the shape of mountains in the distance, a stream of irregular boulders tumbled down by an old glacier, a patchy thicket of trees nearby. She takes a heading from the sun, climbs in altitude until the clouds hide her, and flaps off in her best estimate of the direction to the Moot.

Spoiler
    Show
    Frost is going to head home to report in. I was considering having her do more here, but pretty much everything would've required revealing herself, and (a) I think her reasoning here is sensible, (b) I don't want to make Iamyourking run a totally separate game for Frost for an extended period

I imagine it will take her several days? Depends on the direction of the Moot relative to the point where we met the Alchies.

If her navigational abilities are important, I think it's (some mental ability) + Survival?

(5d10)[2][7][3][9][8](29) Perception or Wits + Survival
    If Int+Survival, (2d10)[2][8](10)

Possible stunt (3d10)[4][5][1](10)

She'll spend 1WP to guarantee a success so she doesn't get completely lost.

EDIT: 4-5 sux.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2014-07-18 at 09:36 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

(It will be a couple of days, but she knows which way to go. She'll arrive back at the moot once everyone is done with their thing.)
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #270
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alier slaps Bjorn on the back in their customary attempt to knock each other over before grabbing the salmon from Bjorn.
    Aye. You missed a fight. In the ice and snow of home against an opponent as large as myself when you really annoy me. Alier smiles. Nothing that could truly dent my hide nor my shield. Here Alier looks down for a second before biting into the salmon and leading Bjorn to a lonely wall.
    Bjorn... the borders may have visitors soon. Of the like we fought. I hope you can keep your head about this. But the other swords should be prepared for action if it comes to it.