New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: Call to Brew! [Crossroads]

Awesome Bhu. It does have few issues.

Since this is for Pathfinder, Type should be Humanoid and subtype should be Giant. It can keep the other subtypes.

Because it has the Earth Subtype, it should have tremorsense (500 feet at least).

Its melee missing in the attack lines. I recommend just giving them rock throwing and slams. They're nasty enough without a melee weapon (and with their size it's not gonna be close combat against the PCs in any case).

"Damage from a thrown rock is generally twice the creature's base slam damage plus 1-1/2 its Strength bonus". See Universal rules. 8d8+42. Slam attack is a primary attack. It should be 1-1/2 Strength bonus as well. 66 gives you a bonus of 28 so that bonus should be 42 not 36. 4d8 seems kinda light for such an epic creature.

The other nitpick I have is that they should be able to Handle Magical Beasts without penalty. Normally, there is a -5 penalty to your Handle Animal check if you use it on a Magical Beast instead of an Animal. Just add "without penalty" to the last sentence in Handle Monster.

Obviously it is gong to need many more feats since Pathfinder gives feats at every odd level. It would have 50 feats. Make the bonus feat a normal feat and give it 14 more feats.

The DC for devastating critical is 78. To be within range of that would be CR 100 or so at least. Anything that can survive that has an extremely good chance of defeating this.

Unfortunately, I think it just has too many HD. It would have been a decent foe at 50 HD.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2015-06-15 at 09:21 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

2. - Top - End - #422
    Titan in the Playground

There's another round of edits coming.

They're 100 HD for a reason. The least of them can catch a Bowhead whale singlehanded. Bowheads are up to 20m in length, and weigh 75-100 tonnes. Bowheads are Colossal. The biggest can wade the deepest parts of the ocean with the water only coming up to their waist. They're beyond godzilla sized.

Also found in ancient times according to inuit myth, all beings could change form and speak at will, and words could change reality. In short both humans and animals could use SHapeshift and either Limited Wish or Wish virtually at will. Optionally I'd say they had the abilities of a Truenamer of their Hit Dice if the system for Truenamers wasn't so borked.
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

3. - Top - End - #423
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bump! I can't let this go away.

Also I claim Sinterklaas. I haven't homebrewed for Pathfinder before (but I have played, don't worry; I'm not a total imbecile). I'll try to post it up before... lets say the end of July so I have time to read tons of pathfinder stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    Sometimes it's easy to forget this isn't for 3.5 anymore #Shocking revelation.
    Binders are fun!
    My 5e Vestiges: Amon, Dahlver-Nar, Focalor, Primus, Marchosias, Halphax, and some other non-canon ones.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Troll in the Playground

Oooh, Sinterklaas and the Witte Wieven. I'd almost be tempted to claim the latter. Nice list.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Final version of Jogah, Ohdowa.

Jogah, Ohdowa CR 4
    XP 1,200
    NG Small Fey
    Hit Dice: 6d6+18 (39 hp)
    Initiative: +6 (+2 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
    Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), Burrow 20 ft.
    Armor Class: 21 (+1 size, +2 Dex, + 3 natural +4 armor +1 dodge), touch 14, flat-footed 18
    Base Attack: +3 CMB +4, CMD 16
    Attack: Small +1 aberration-bane copper dagger +7 (+9 vs. aberrations) melee (1d3/19-20 plus 2d6 vs. aberrations)
    Full Attack: Small +1 aberration-bane copper dagger +7 (+9 vs. aberration) melee (1d3/10-20 plus 2d6 vs. aberrations)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Channel Energy 2d6, Spell-Like Abilities
    Special Qualities: Low-light vision, phobia (agoraphobia)
    Saves: Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +6
    Abilities: Str 15, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 11, Cha 17
    Skills: Appraise +11, Craft (armorsmithing) +10, Craft (weaponsmithing) +10 , Knowledge (dungeoneering)+10 , Knowledge (religion)+10, Survival +9
    Feats: Craft Magical Arms & Armor (B), Dodge, Improved Initiative, Power Attack
    Environment: Underground
    Organization: Solitary, pair, or squad (3-10)
    Treasure: Double standard including small 4 +1 copper daggers and +1 white buffalo hide armor.
    Advancement: By character class (favored class cleric)
    Level Adjustment: No idea on this one.

Covered in dirt and grime, an ohdowa tunnels under cemeteries and battlefields looking for subterranean creatures to slay.

An ohdowa’s true beauty is rarely recognized under a layer dirt and ore dust that permeates their dirt-colored clothes. They even smell like dirt. When clean, an ohdowa resembles a small, strikingly handsome human with exquisite facial structure and beautiful hair. Members of Humanoid races fairly swoon over them. Naturally, they want nothing to do with such unwanted attention and so they rarely leave the underground and almost never bathe.

Ohdowas spend most of their time hunting subterranean creatures to keep them from invading the surface world. They even invade cemeteries usually from below to ensure no new undead arise.

Because of their intense dislike of the surface world, ohdowas never sell their copper weapons to surface dwellers and only trade with other jogahs on special occasions, usually trading their copper weapons and white buffalo hides.

When the night of the new moon falls on the longest day of the year, the ohdowas gather in large numbers in an secret hallowed place for a wild celebration. This is when they clean up and put on their best finery to impress members of the opposite sex. Other jogahs are frequently invited (especially if they bring food and drink). Few others witnessed this spectacle though many claimed to have heard it.

Combat

Odowahs tend to be single-minded in combat, going after subterranean creatures to the exclusion of all else.

Burrow (Ex): An ohdowa can burrow through solid stone at half its normal burrow speed.

Channel Energy (Su): Ohdowas can channel as a cleric of half its hit dice. This does not stack with any channel energy abilities from other sources.

Spell-Like Abilities (Sp): 3/day—cure light wounds, hide from undead, shatter (DC 15), 1/day—consecrate

Phobia (Agoraphobia) (Ex): An ohdowa is shaken for the first hour whenever he leaves the underground and goes to the surface, taking a -2 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2015-08-09 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Complete
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hey everybody! I've finally returned! At least in some capacity.
    anyways, let's get started.

Gahonga
    Oooh, man, this could actually fit really well with the water-dogs (domesticated dire otters). Perhaps they could even have been the original domesticators... I'll ponder that in the thread.
    Math check: CMB and CMD are off. In PF, small size is only a -1 size mod to those. Also, CMD is a flat number, not a mod, and includes dex mod, too. It should be CMB +6, CMD 17
    Also, I think the sling attack mod is supposed to be a +6 (+3 bab, +1 dex, +1 PBS, +1 enhancement) unless I'm missing something.
    With a strength score like theirs, it seems like a normal sling bullet might be a better option than magic stones. (1d3+4 instead of 1d6+1)

The 'feat' entry seems odd to me. I would say roll the gist of this into the 'rock affinity' header. I could also see throwing an ability in there that would let them treat river rocks as regular sling bullets, which would allow them to drop the magic stone sla and the ammo limit it imposes.

Isn't hold breath normally expressed in multiples of the critter's con mod?

I don't see anything else that jumps out at me. Not bad at all!

Inupasugjuk
    Basically echoing Debihuman here. As is, this would definitely belong in some kinda epic handbook.
    I do like the notable ones, though. Inupaksuksuk's adopted son could possibly be some sort of progenitor to the Tuniit.

Ohdowa
    I think all your numbers are right here.

However, I'm not sure about the 'miner' angle here. There wasn't really much, if anything, in the way of mining in the new world before Europeans arrived. They could have, I suppose, picked up the profession from europeans or european mining fey like kobolds. However, I feel like that kinda steals away some of their uniqueness as new world fey. The same issue would say those weapons and the armor/weapon forging angle don't really fit, either. No metalworking, you know?
    The stories I saw seem to suggest they were more about keeping subterranean monsters, serpents, and earth spirits under control, than anything relating to undead. You know... If new world dragons are snakelike, those stories could be interpreted to indicate that the ohdowas are keeping a population of sleeping dragons in check somehow.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #427
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    Hey everybody! I've finally returned! At least in some capacity.
    anyways, let's get started.
    Yay! Welcome back

Gahonga
    Oooh, man, this could actually fit really well with the water-dogs (domesticated dire otters). Perhaps they could even have been the original domesticators... I'll ponder that in the thread.
    Good that means I was on the right track.

Math check: CMB and CMD are off. In PF, small size is only a -1 size mod to those. Also, CMD is a flat number, not a mod, and includes dex mod, too. It should be CMB +6, CMD 17
    Fixed
    Also, I think the sling attack mod is supposed to be a +6 (+3 bab, +1 dex, +1 PBS, +1 enhancement) unless I'm missing something.
    +1 size bonus.

With a strength score like theirs, it seems like a normal sling bullet might be a better option than magic stones. (1d3+4 instead of 1d6+1)
    I debated this a lot. However, they can transmute up to three stones at a time. Don't forget the stones do 2d6+2 vs. undead.

The 'feat' entry seems odd to me. I would say roll the gist of this into the 'rock affinity' header. I could also see throwing an ability in there that would let them treat river rocks as regular sling bullets, which would allow them to drop the magic stone sla and the ammo limit it imposes.
    Feats fixed. I kinda want to keep the magic stones. It gives the PCs something to find (a cache of magic stones) and I wanted to give all these little folk some ties to each other.

Isn't hold breath normally expressed in multiples of the critter's con mod?
    Usually but the universal monster rules in Pathfinder say this: "Hold Breath (Ex) The creature can hold its breath for a number of minutes equal to 6 times its Constitution score before it risks drowning." Rather than base it on Con score or Con modifier I just gave them the base ability which is apparently 6 minutes. This is one of the times where the universal monster rules really doesn't make a lot of sense.

I don't see anything else that jumps out at me. Not bad at all!
    Whew glad it's okay then.

Ohdowa
    I think all your numbers are right here.

However, I'm not sure about the 'miner' angle here. There wasn't really much, if anything, in the way of mining in the new world before Europeans arrived. They could have, I suppose, picked up the profession from europeans or european mining fey like kobolds. However, I feel like that kinda steals away some of their uniqueness as new world fey. The same issue would say those weapons and the armor/weapon forging angle don't really fit, either. No metalworking, you know?
    Which is why I gave them pretty basic metal working . Chain shirts are easy to make and pickaxes are fairly crude weapons.

The stories I saw seem to suggest they were more about keeping subterranean monsters, serpents, and earth spirits under control, than anything relating to undead. You know... If new world dragons are snakelike, those stories could be interpreted to indicate that the ohdowas are keeping a population of sleeping dragons in check somehow.
    Will ponder this a bit more.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2015-06-30 at 11:01 PM.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

Revised the Giant again, and added the Adopted template. I should note for Debi and others again that I know nothing of Pathfinder, so technically all of the stuff I've done is for 3.5.
    Orcs and Goblins

9. - Top - End - #429
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

I have revised the last Jogah to remove a lot of the mining focus and put it back on their subterranean creature hunting. Let me know what you think.

Debby

10. - Top - End - #430

Hey, this thread again! Still alive, I see. Good on ya.
    I finally went back to the first post and edited it with links to new creations and The_Doctor's claim on Santa.

Right, lets get right back into it! The Ohdowa!
    The numbers still look all right to me.

To be honest, I can't find all that much in the way of detailed myths about the Ohdowa, so it's hard to say what details are right and what details aren't. I'm still not fond of the miner angle, personally. What little I can find in the way of myths describes a world full of forests and plains located deep underground where there's no light. All kinds of creatures live there, from white buffalo to poisonous serpents, and it all wants to go up to the surface. But they're suppose to be content where they are, and the ohdowa are the enforcers that keep them down there, hunting down anything that tries to escape. Apparently they put a red cloud in the sky whenever they go on the hunt, to signal the surface dwellers.

Hmm... if memory serves, there was some talk in the thread about having the barriers between the mortal and spirit worlds be easier to pass through deep underground and high above it. Perhaps this underground world the myth speaks of is simply the spirit world, naturally connected to caves that go deep enough? They'd be protecting the world from spirits that try to intrude through these portals, and maybe against other slumbering subterranean creatures. Why they would sign themselves up for such a task is the question.
    Again, that mention of poisonous serpents makes me think of new world dragons.
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2015-07-19 at 11:19 AM.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #431
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

The problem is that hunting things underground requires equipment suitable for doing so. I disagree that there was no mining: See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metall...umbian_America.

Debby

12. - Top - End - #432

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    The problem is that hunting things underground requires equipment suitable for doing so. I disagree that there was no mining: See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metall...umbian_America.

Debby
    Oh, trust me, I am fully aware of the state of metallurgy in the new world at the time.
    As the article you linked says, there wasn't really any contemporary evidence of digging for metal, at least not in the northeastern regions, where the Ohdowa myths come from. It does mention a lot of copper use, but the vast majority of that copper could just be found laying out, exposed. And it wasn't smelted or forged, just hammered and/or heated. I could totally see them wielding copper or even sky-iron weapons and armor, though chain might be a bit much. The problem is these little folk having inexplicably European mining techniques and equipment, including pickaxes and hammers. I'm just looking for some more native kind of themes among the native creatures.
    Maybe instead of burrowing, they just use earth glide or a similar substitute? Maybe instead of pickaxe, their weapon of choice could be a war club, or a regular axe?
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #433
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Updated Jogah to remove references to mining and also swapped out armd edit the text.or and weapons. This should finish it.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2015-08-09 at 05:13 AM.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Titan in the Playground

This thing still going? My apologies for my lack of presence, I've had issues offline. I've started the lesser arctic giants here:

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.ph...4516#msg254516
    Orcs and Goblins

15. - Top - End - #435
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Is this thing on?

Axhandle Hound CR 1
    XP 400
    N Medium magical beast
    Init +2; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent; Perception +?

AC 14, touch 12, flat-footed 12 ; (+2 Natural, +2 Dex)
    HP 2d10+4 (15)
    Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +1

Speed 50 ft.
    Melee Bite +7 (1d6+2 plus devour wood)
    Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.

Str 15 (+2), Dex 15 (+2), Con 15 (+2), Int 2 (-4), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 6 (-2)
    Base Atk +5; CMB +7; CMD 19 (23 vs trip)
    Feats Skill Focus (Perception)
    Skills Perception +8, Stealth +6, Survival +1 (+5 scent tracking); Racial Modifiers +4 Survival when tracking by scent

Devour Wood (Su)
    When an axhandle hound hits a wooden or mostly wooden object with its bite attack the object takes half its hp in damage and gains the broken condition, a second hit destroys it. Objects only partualy composed of wood gain the broken condition but are never fully destroyed by this ability. Creatures made of wood (such as a Treant, Wickerman or Twigjack) take 2d6+2 damage from this ability in addition to any they took from the bite. An attended object, any magic object, or a creature made of wood can attempt a DC 15 Reflex save to negate this effect. The save DC is Constitution-based.
    _________
    ECOLOGY

Environment temperate or cold forests
    Organization solitary, pair, or pack (3–12)
    Treasure none

Dog-like creatures with long, low slung bodies and angular heads. They have the ability to devour wooden objects and prefer worked wood. They are said to sneak into logging camps at night and devour the handles of unattended axes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToySoldierCPlus View Post
    Now you're attempting to model physics when arguing your case for armor made by a guy who explicitly tells the laws of physics to sit down and shut up whenever he starts tinkering stacking with regular armor. Stop that.
    Miny city!
    Industrial miny city!
    transportation!
    round one, fight!

16. - Top - End - #436
    Orc in the Playground

Suggested races... You should do a pc Hopi ant man, maybe north American and Chinese version of mantis warriors, you could, if you were to tackle slavery could import it from the bushmen mythology. I think having a south slave rebellion creating a small Nation allied with Haiti.

Also deer women.
    Last edited by Ofmossandmoose; 2016-12-10 at 10:57 AM.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Orc in the Playground

What about keeping the giant native ground sloth and sabre tooth tiger creatures?