New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #943 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    So, people in the know, what is a Chaos Sabre?
    There is only one person in the actual know: Rich. The rest of us can speculate*, but only he could answer that, and I doubt he will.

*From the name, probably an anarchic weapon. Presumably works with Dashing Swordsman class abilities as well as a rapier does. Probably an upgrade from Elan's previous +3 Keen rapier.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Giant is slowing down the narrative structure for a couple of strips now-I bet that in less that 10 strips, the story will start accelerating again to unknown directions.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Firbolg in the Playground

Seems suspiciously like the "death" of Kazumi and Daigo.
    Now we know Daigo's last name: Da-Scoundrel
    Last edited by 137beth; 2014-02-05 at 09:28 AM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Faltenin View Post
    I like how this is a funny strip, but still manages to convey lots of key points for how the dynamic is evolving:
    - Blackwing is "upgraded" to a full speaking-part party member
    - Belkar's new familiar is probably also here for a while (it would be great if he could speak a magic word to Shazam him into full size...)
    - Elan is being forced into that leading man's role, as his father wanted: control of a flying ship, epic weapon... but also needing to rely on his on strength now his mentor is retiring

Great lessons in storytelling
    I noticed about Blackwing too. Pretty cool because now he has input and I love his quippy remarks.

Belkar's Familiar should be easy to return to full size, Dispel Magic (I think). He's small because of Baleful Polymorph only. (I'm too lazy to lookup the link just now).

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

rofl...what a twist!
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

6. - Top - End - #96
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Trillium View Post
    Hm, why would Julio need to go to the bathroom before flying, if he is using flying carpet?
    I mean, c'mon, he's Chaotic...
    Peeing off the side of a Flying carpet can have dire consequences to you, the carpet and anything else in it. Peeing off the back of the carpet... well what kind of Savvy adventurer takes his eyes off the front of his flying vehicle for more than a second? Anything could happen!

So yeah, visit to the loo before embarking on a long trip is a good idea

Edit: And no need to mention if your emergency is number two... unless you plan on bombing someone you dislike
    Last edited by Angralad; 2014-02-05 at 09:37 AM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    There is only one person in the actual know: Rich. The rest of us can speculate*, but only he could answer that, and I doubt he will.

*From the name, probably an anarchic weapon. Presumably works with Dashing Swordsman class abilities as well as a rapier does. Probably an upgrade from Elan's previous +3 Keen rapier.
    But he DID answer, when Julio first used it against Tarquin, and was named in #932. Like I said in my post on the last page, It's called Chaos and not Anarchic so non-roleplayers will have a better idea of what it is

8. - Top - End - #98
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Angralad View Post
    Peeing off the side of a Flying carpet can have dire consequences to you, the carpet and anything else in it. Peeing off the back of the carpet... well what kind of Savvy adventurer takes his eyes off the front of his flying vehicle for more than a second? Anything could happen!

So yeah, visit to the loo before embarking on a long trip is a good idea

Edit: And no need to mention if your emergency is number two... unless you plan on bombing someone you dislike
    I didn't think about number two... you know, Tarquin is still out there in the desert...
    "...As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Quote Originally Posted by Silverionmox View Post
    All the general's dinosaurs
    and all the general's men
    couldn't keep the Order
    from leaving again.
    Thanks to Cuthalion for awesome avatar!

9. - Top - End - #99
    Pixie in the Playground

i kinda just love when anyone gets new equipment..
    also elan with a chaos blade? seriously?
    totally bad-ass..

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Hahahaha!
    Julio is full of awesome-ness!

I still wonder if Elan is smarter than he lets on, just so he can uphold bardic tradition. I mean yeah he is smarter than he lets on, he just has a completely different tool-set than everyone else. Anyway ...

Funny strip Giant!
    Loved Haley's dialogue, too!

11. - Top - End - #101

PaladinGuy

Excellent comic. Thank you.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

I love Elan's continued daftness with not noticing Julio & the can. Also, Bloodfeast is co cute

13. - Top - End - #103
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

To me the funny thing is I always say the same thing "Ok let's go... wait, now that I think about it, I should go pee first." So I felt really identified! lol

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Neatly wrapping up the "but Julio can just return and solve all their problems later too!" crowd.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

That was HILARIOUS!

(Cue the first "This stip was lame!" comment in 3... 2... 1...)
    Post, post, post, post an amusing and insightful comment!

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    Neatly wrapping up the "but Julio can just return and solve all their problems later too!" crowd.
    Well, of course Julio will return and solve all their problems!

With his finely tuned dramatic instinct, he will choose just the right moment to check on Elan, using Arborea's epic scrying pool, and will plane shift to save the Order as a lame Deus Ex Arborea. Really, Giant's writing is just SO bad!
    Last edited by HeeJay; 2014-02-05 at 10:08 AM.
    Post, post, post, post an amusing and insightful comment!

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by quasit View Post
    Wow, just wow. I didn't expect julio being the type for retiring.
    Wonder he's been put on a bus for good or if we'd get to see more of him, thought.
    Edit: I didn't got his last sentence either. Does it means "I'll need brain bleach" or something else?
    Julio doesn't to be Obi-Wan Kenobi. He probably knew that one of "his B-list villains" like Taquin wouldn't be the one who could kill Elan's mentor in front of him to make the story more dramatic, but Xykon? Yeah, that sounds more like it.

So he's getting the hell out of dodge.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HeeJay View Post
    Well, of course Julio will return and solve all their problems!

With his finely tuned dramatic instinct, he will choose just the right moment to check on Elan, using Arborea's epic scrying pool, and will plane shift to save the Order as a lame Deus Ex Arborea. Really, Giant's writing is just SO bad!
    Lol.

One question, since I'm new on the forum, is this some etiquette thing? I didn't need the blue color to get that you're just kidding and being sarcastic but is it like a standard thing among the etiquette-minded in the forum? Any other colors I should know about? It's not the first time I've see it (might have been other posts by you, not sure).

19. - Top - End - #109
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dunsparce View Post
    But he DID answer, when Julio first used it against Tarquin, and was named in #932.
    Link?

'Cause if all you have is "I think I remember," I'm afraid I don't play Telephone Game; I don't remember Rich posting what the Chaos Saber was, nor can I find such a post now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angralad View Post
    Lol.

One question, since I'm new on the forum, is this some etiquette thing? I didn't need the blue color to get that you're just kidding and being sarcastic but is it like a standard thing among the etiquette-minded in the forum? Any other colors I should know about? It's not the first time I've see it (might have been other posts by you, not sure).
    No, it's just something some people in the forum do. Put sarcasm in blue text or don't as you see fit; I don't, and the moderators explicitly declined to tacitly or actively support it as a forum standard.
    Last edited by Kish; 2014-02-05 at 10:22 AM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

OK, today's strip is just silly. I guess The Giant needed to get high-level Julio off the ship, and a vacation to Arborea does sound lovely.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

21. - Top - End - #111
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Julio is doing really well, trope-wise. He changes his position from aged Mentor to the Sixth Ranger, which even increases his coolness factor since he's also avoiding as much screen time as possible. Plus, he didn't announce his retirement before actually doing it.
    "A good way to get a decent person to do something horrible is to convince them that they're not responsible for their actions" - Director Cedrik - OOTS #640

"Geez! You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head!''
    _ "Where else would a crown go?"

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

For reference, if the Chaos Sabre is based on an Anarchic weapon, it's enchanted to penalize Lawful characters who try to use it, and to deal extra damage when it hits someone with a Lawful alignment.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

23. - Top - End - #113

Blackwing has no shiny!

NO SHINY!

24. - Top - End - #114
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lexible View Post
    Blackwing has no shiny!

NO SHINY!
    If it's not a permanent fixture around V's head the next time we see vit, I'll be very surprised.

25. - Top - End - #115

PirateGirl

Ok, I know it could just be lack of detail, but I absolutely love that it looks like the letter itself is empty.

The idea that Julio wouldn't even write it down, just wait and be ready to voice it over when it got opened cracks me up.
    Last edited by Aasimar; 2014-02-05 at 10:39 AM.
    Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you judge them, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

Denouement is wrapping things up quite nicely, and there's one quick thing I'd like to point out:

I definitely like that Elan didn't turn around to talk to Julio. He's still the guy who believes in the drama of the story, and is still glad to play it up--he's maturing, but he's still the same guy, and the gag at the end emphasized that.

It's a big haystack, but I think this piece is one I really like.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

"So is he also just-"
    "Probably not, no."

Oh, Elan. Never change.

And Elan and Julio are really a match made in... somewhere.

All in all, great fun.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfyre99 View Post
    I just love Elan's need to play tropes straight.
    I flashed back to Nale having a migraine at the willful ignorance it involves. Fortunately, Haley's more accustomed to it, and Julio doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    Until proven otherwise I choose to believe [the Chaos Sabre]'s similar to a Holy Avenger. A +5 Anarchic Rapier at least.
    I read what Anarchic means, but what else does a Holy Avenger do?

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    [Elan]'s one of the two most chaotic characters in the entire comic. And the other one is Xykon.
    Really? I'd have thought Belkar, Ian, or Haley would be up there. I never arranged a top 5 countdown, granted, but I figured chaos was a will to undo forceful nature of law... [thinking] and Elan's always been willing to see people brought to justice... [thinking some more]

Wait, I see it now. I was confusing his thirst for good endings with thirst for justice and thus for law/order, at least to a storytelling extent. That's a faulty conclusion. Elan made all those speeches about people being allowed to choose their own roles, mixing and matching their goals and battles without someone else telling them what they can't think -- Tarquin vs. everybody, Kubota vs. Therkla (though she had her own viewpoint there), etc. That's about the people being able to live and flourish -- Good, but not Lawful.

I still doubt he's at top 2, but I think that's because I haven't seen him manage upheaval on the wide scales of other characters. However, his strategy for Ian could have some vicious fallout. I won't give him a number, but I can appreciate that idea -- the concept that a happy-go-lucky guy with a tendency to say whatever's on his mind (whether that's a lot or a little) would lend itself to his visibility as a champ for Chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by Faltenin View Post
    -Elan is being forced into that leading man's role, as his father wanted: control of a flying ship, epic weapon... but also needing to rely on his on strength now his mentor is retiring
    The weapon's true enough. However, his "control" only extends to temporary steering privileges for the ship, and I doubt the crew would want to tangle with Team Evil, nor would Elan ask them to put their lives on such a perilous line. As for other command, seeing as he didn't even bother Roy with the airship battle, I think he's still willing to let Roy set the pace.

But I agree completely on him finding his own strength, as well as the possibilities of Bloodfeast. (A dispelling would get him back, but how cool would it be if Belkar was able to switch him back and forth from travel-size at will?)
    I have a DeviantArt page! My OotS posts are here, and the rest of my posts are here.

There are, like, tons of possibilities. We just have to pick one and make it happen. [...]
    Elan, I don't think a bunch of... of dreams and good feelings are going to help us defeat an ultra-powerful sorcerer lich.
    Sure they are! It's called "morale," Roy -- Or sometimes? "Hope."

29. - Top - End - #119
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wait, now if Julio comes back a second time he would be a mentor coming out of retirement to save his pupil.....pressing his luck much?

30. - Top - End - #120
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenitor View Post
    If it's not a permanent fixture around V's head the next time we see vit, I'll be very surprised.
    If you mean in the same style Laurin had it, then yes, I'd be VERY surprised too since that would mean V acquired new Psi powers. Might be he uses it as an earring or pendant or as part of the band that holds his hair in a pony tail.

EDIT: He/she, his/her, disregard gender bias please. I think I read somewhere the articles used in gender neutrality (New Frontier series I think) but I can never remember the right ones.
    Last edited by Angralad; 2014-02-05 at 10:58 AM.