A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181

Default Re: Role-Reversal 3.5e KILL THE PCs! Players Wanted.

What skill would be used for trap-maxing? Would if be a Crafting skill?

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

Little girl lost in a dungeon.. "Help! I got kidnapped by this big furry thingy. I though
    Leedle.
    Oh, and I can read his mind..
    Cool.
    Spoiler
    Show

Used to be dumb. Now I'm not. Rock on, everyone!

3. - Top - End - #183
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Theoboldi View Post
    I'm gonna have so much fun doing Instigator work. Sneaking around the party, silently charming one after the other, removing their buffs without them knowing, and then dropping a gigantic AoE effect on them when they're trying to disarm a trap. And that's before I show myself and pretend to be their friend.
    Just be sure to spit on people! AoE Spit attack would also be good.

Kidding, Butnoseriouslyspitonthem, Glad everyone's starting to piece together their roles, I wasnt sure if my attempt at describing roles was making sense earlier, so I figured a brief briefing and examples would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempestfury View Post
    What skill would be used for trap-maxing? Would if be a Crafting skill?
    Correct, Craft Trap is a thing (Pretty sure it is, somewhere, if its not, I'll make it a thing) And make DC's for it, Hell, I'll even let arcane casters Aid another and throw spells into it for release upon activation.
    Spoiler: Crest's just-awesome Club.
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    I think Crestfallen has demonstrated that she is an epic swordsage.
    You are wonderful and deserve a personal unicorn to carry you everywhere you want to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jötunn View Post
    Crest, stop getting me interested in your games!

4. - Top - End - #184

Hmmm... and would I require a roll to turn a low powered attack into a 'string'? You know, something that an adventurer wouldn't think much off?

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

I've gotten enough of the crunch done to call it post-able.

I need to spend my coin, but I might wait to do that until after I know with whom, how and as what I am working.

Let me write up some background, fluff, sample encounter-y junk and such.

Prince Velduvian Witchthorn, aka The Dryad of The Evergreen Sanctuary, aka Vel Martinson, a humble scholar of TheNextTownOver aka The Verdant Lord

Spoiler: Backstory Fluffball
    Show
    Prince Velduvian Witchthorn, son of King Witchthorn of the Kryptgarden wears his title with honor and conceited pride, despite the near meaninglessness of it. He is 517th in line for a throne whose current occupant is immortal, but despite having no chance at a real throne, Velduvian is a nobleman, of high birth. This is also despite that fact that King Witchthorn is a tyrant who claims to be a king, but has no noble blood within him.

But a King who claims a throne is a King nevertheless, and his children are royals! Glory and honor are to be had by all the princes of the Witchthorn line! Velduvian seeks to claim his own throne through the same means as his father: guile, wit, lies, treachery and amassing a horde of loyal peons to do all the heavy lifting. Gifted with powerful magicks, and the ability to command plants to do his bidding, Velduvian believes it is only a matter of time before he claims a large swath of land as his own. For now, he is building himself a lair, and amassing allies and power.

Spoiler: Sample Encounter:
    Show

Prince Velduvian lurks nearby the entrance to his domain, hidden in the foilage as he spies on the adventurers who have entered his domain. He eaves drops on them, knowing a dozen languages, and having the ability to glean information off any gesture, Velduvian discerns the purpose in coming here: these poor fools believe an ancient artifact of great power lies deep in this dungeon.

With dramatic flourish, he dimension doors before them, disguised as a Dryad. Come no closer! He pleads, voice full of fear and doubt, There are many dangers beyond this point, and an artifact that must not fall into wicked hands! Knowing full well that these "savvy" adventurers will insist that they are powerful enough to travel through the dangers and protect the artifact from power, Velduvian has trapped them.

You seek to take the artifact away from here? That is a great boon to me, for I cannot much longer bear the weight of duty that comes with guardianship, I wish only to be free an dance around my tree! I will strike a bargain with you! I will not allow the beasts under my sway to attack you, and they will not impede your safe passage, but in return you must never raise an attack against any of my minions within, and you must promise to always keep the relic safe!

As they accepted, she sings a few bars of a song and vanishes. The Oath has been struck: Velduvian has no beasts under his sway, so he has given them nothing, but in return they have promised not to defend themselves against the horrors that lurk within. The penalty for disobeying will be a sickening, and massive penalty to their health (-6 to attack rolls, skill checks, et al.) and they will quickly be eaten by the plants, or other minions within. The Verdant Prince will appear and aid his minions in his true form during the combat, and never appear to these fools as the dryad who promised them safety again.

They have no chance, and soon Velduvian will loot their corpses. Should any survive the dungeon, he will know where they have fled and he will send his minions out to hunt them down and kill them, lest they reveal the true nature of the Dryad within the Evergreen Sanctuary.
    Last edited by darklink_shadow; 2014-02-07 at 04:40 PM.

6. - Top - End - #186

Hmmm... and would I require a roll to turn a low powered attack into a 'string'? You know, something that an adventurer wouldn't think much off?
    String?

Are we talkin... A trap that doesn't do much damage?

Or are you talking like... Crawling around the ceiling, pegging them with darts and kiting them through the dungeon?

Looks... Good Lmao. Looks like a BBeG to me, Which isn't bad, You're monsters, You're allowed to do that.

You're still beat-able, Just might require some tough PC's to do it.

Just remember... If you're a Model, and PC's do a bit of research about your kind, Don't be surprised if they have Cold Iron weapons, or A cold iron weapon. I'll be making Knowledge rolls for the PCs on the Models to see how prepared they are for the fight.
    Last edited by Crestfallen; 2014-02-07 at 04:49 PM.
    Show
    You are wonderful and deserve a personal unicorn to carry you everywhere you want to go.

7. - Top - End - #187

When will we be starting?
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #188

I'm gonna see how many players start posting finished sheets tonight, Might close it off to new interest soon, and give a 48 hour countdown, and Open the OOC Sunday night, and hopefully get the IC's going shortly after that.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

I'll figure out a way to make Cold Iron less dangerous to me. I'm sure there is a spell.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

It is a weird feeling somewhat similar to shame when you notice that your character's backstory involves being raised by drow, yet cannot speak undercommon.

Also, why don't changelings have 'Bonus Languages: Any'?

At least I fixed that now. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by darklink_shadow View Post
    I'll figure out a way to make Cold Iron less dangerous to me. I'm sure there is a spell.
    It's called shatter.
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2014-02-07 at 05:00 PM.
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

11. - Top - End - #191

Lmao, Find a way to make it DR100/Cold Iron and Adamantium

That, would be just stupid.
    "His DR requires it be made of two metals"
    '...How on earth do you make that?'
    "...Soft Serve Swirl Machine"
    '...on it...'

It is a weird feeling somewhat similar to shame when you notice that your character's backstory involves being raised by drow, yet cannot speak undercommon.

Also, why don't changelings have 'Bonus Languages: Any'?
    Houseruled:
    Changelings now have Bonus Languages: Any except Druidic.

Solid.

New Houserule: Everyone gets Undercommon as a free language, Common is no longer a free language however, You may take it with a high intelligence score though, or skill points.
    Last edited by Crestfallen; 2014-02-07 at 05:01 PM.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #192

Quote Originally Posted by Crestfallen View Post
    String?

Are we talkin... A trap that doesn't do much damage?

Or are you talking like... Crawling around the ceiling, pegging them with darts and kiting them through the dungeon?
    I meant 'Sting'

We are talking about, creeping up to them, stabbing them to steal their spells, then and doing so little damage that they don't think their actually under attack.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

Houseruled:
    Changelings now have Bonus Languages: Any except Druidic.

Solid.

New Houserule: Everyone gets Undercommon as a free language, Common is no longer a free language however, You may take it with a high intelligence score though, or skill points.
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

14. - Top - End - #194

Doesn't he need to be a virigin female for that though?

15. - Top - End - #195

Signature block, Puttin' that one in there too.

Doesn't she need to be a virigin female for that though?
    Fixed it.

I meant 'Sting'

We are talking about, creeping up to them, stabbing them to steal their spells, then and doing so little damage that they don't think their actually under attack.
    Uhm.... I'd have to... See about that one. Perhaps theres a feat or skill trick out there that lets you peg people for 0 damage to make them not notice.

Depends on your damage roll though, because take note. A punch from a person of 10 strength (Thats enough strength to bench ~150 lbs) does 1d4 damage. Even one damage is noticeable, so, It'd be tough.

If I cant find the feat, I'll make it a bluff check, DC 10*damage dealt or something like that, Maybe? I dunno, I'll figure it out.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

Doesn't he need to be a virigin female for that though?
    I am reasonably certain that she has the latter part of those requirements down. Not sure about the former, though I do not really want to know.

Uhm.... I'd have to... See about that one. Perhaps theres a feat or skill trick out there that lets you peg people for 0 damage to make them not notice.

Depends on your damage roll though, because take note. A punch from a person of 10 strength (Thats enough strength to bench ~150 lbs) does 1d4 damage. Even one damage is noticeable, so, It'd be tough.

If I cant find the feat, I'll make it a bluff check, DC 10*damage dealt or something like that, Maybe? I dunno, I'll figure it out.
    There is one feat I know of called something along the lines of 'Mosquito's bite'. That gives rogues an ability to have the damage they inflict apply only one round after the attack. Not sure how useful that would be for him, though.
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2014-02-07 at 05:14 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197

There is one feat I know of called something along the lines of 'Mosquito's bite'. That gives rogues an ability to have the damage they inflict apply only one round after the attack. Not sure how useful that would be for him, though.
    True, Forgot about that skill trick.

That's probably what you're gonna have to go with, Stabbing them, and getting out of there before the round. It'll confuse them, and alert them, but the'll have no idea where you are.

The only problems I can see with the bluff nonsense, Is you sitting there full attacking wizards and taking 10 on bluff after dipping factotum and Mountebank and just pumping up your bluff to 40 every take 10, and wizards will run through the level with no idea of you, and just lose all their spells.

Pretty sure the wizard is alerted that the spell is taken from them though, for the record. Not sure. I think that ones at the DM's descretion.

Which, I'll rule One spell wont be noticed, anything more and the wizard will know since they're feeling all their spells just being pulled out of them.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #198
    Orc in the Playground

Kjalgaar will most definitely be some delicious Meat (hmm, frog thighs... wait I'm the frog this time around no eating). He has leader qualities too, such as ambition and confidence. A slaad overlord? He'd definitely enjoy the position. The power to command minions allies to battle! To meet with the bravest and rend their minds through utter victory! And generally being a nasty, unpleasant, smug frog-face.

Still working on my sheet, making updates but now that I'm on week-end I should be able to make significant progress. Yay!

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

Posting interest! So much fun!

Spoiler: Sets o' Stats!
    Show
    (4d6b3)[18]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[18]
    (4d6b3)[14]

(4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[6]
    (4d6b3)[7]

20. - Top - End - #200

Zombie

I imagine that Eli's most fitting position would be as the Meat - the stalwart warrior you see as you reach the end of the dungeon, tired and wounded, and who makes you go "oh crap we still have to get through this." Possibly while she smirks slightly.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Faust shall be the greatest target, yes his own dungeon to gather waiting fools to form his undead minions :3, now doesn't mean faust is the leader, though he thinks he is, this mean faust is the one everyone tries to kill. The actual leader can be someone totes different but I love the idea of him being the face :3

22. - Top - End - #202

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanix View Post
    I imagine that Eli's most fitting position would be as the Meat - the stalwart warrior you see as you reach the end of the dungeon, tired and wounded, and who makes you go "oh crap we still have to get through this." Possibly while she smirks slightly.
    Lmao, That would work, also your ability to absorb spells (Via resistance) would drain a lot of the spellcasters resources trying to push through it, or unless they get smart and just start throwing rocks at you.

Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    Posting interest! So much fun!
    Welcome! If you have any questions just let me know, I'm usually quick to answer.

Also, Awesome set of stats o.o

Someone's got some roastin' scores.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Now how to get a mounted built character to be effective underground in a dungeon....oh I got it! jousting arena as final boss stadium

24. - Top - End - #204

Tbh, doppelgänger bonuses are pretty good when you're in a jam with abilities and such.
    So, any other plot details we need to know about?
    Also, best idea ever..
    Tech's evil Plan
    Spoiler
    Show

Allow the meat to get a KO.
    I pretend to be a small child.
    Party recovering from the fight, immense injuries
    Good Cleric Steve goes to pick me up and get me out of the dungeon...
    Once outside, rip his throat out and hide the corpse.
    Invisible myself back in and head though the next room.
    Last edited by Techmagss; 2014-02-07 at 07:02 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Lovely and delicious, long as you share the cleric bits :3, I have ghouls to feed

26. - Top - End - #206

My character is going to be a planner and lurker... and who knows. Maybe if he's good enough, he might become his own face as he creates a 'trap challenge' dungeon!

27. - Top - End - #207
    Orc in the Playground

Alright! Sheet updated here.
    It's pretty much done and playable now, unless I forgot something (like my armor? no it's okay, too nimble and naturally though and psychic to wear some).
    I guess I have excess money...

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

My character is going to be a planner and lurker... and who knows. Maybe if he's good enough, he might become his own face as he creates a 'trap challenge' dungeon!
    You can plan and lurk in my plant dungeon, if you like. :)

29. - Top - End - #209

You can plan and lurk in my plant dungeon, if you like. :)
    Thanks, but my guy intends to have his own dungeon one day.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Won't we all one day have our own dungeons?