A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Default Souledge ACTIVATE (OOC)

link to recruitment in case you need it.

Houserule cheat sheet:

Soul edges and opposed edges:
    order <> chaos
    aqua <> fire
    storm <> earth
    light <> dark

*gain resist 5+1/2 level to your edge type and vulnerability 5+1/2 level to your opposed edge type. All of your attacks deal damage of your edge type, regardless of keywords (which only matter for feats and class abilities)
    *minor action at will power: summon your soul edge (can be used as a free action in conjunction with any feats, abilities, or class features that allow you to draw your weapon as a free action)
    *move action at will power: grant an ally your edge's damage type until the end of the ally's next turn. Has a range in squares equal to your level.

Spoiler: soul charges
    Show
    Then there's soul charges. Basically my version of plot/protagonist/fate points. the short answer is, whenever you spend actions and powers in combat, you gain soul charges based upon the cost of that action along the guidelines in this handy dandy chart.

standard action
    At will=2 encounter=3 daily=4
    move action
    at will=0 encounter=2 daily=3
    minor action
    at will=0 encounter=1 daily=2
    no/free action
    at will=0 encounter=0 daily=1

What you can do with these is very loosely defined. I expect creativity in their use or else it's a dead weight mechanic. Here;s the chart I have, anything with an 'O' by it means official use and anything with a '*' by it means 'open for debate'
    O 1 soulcharge = reroll damage roll (keep either)
    * 2 soulcharge = replicate an at will effect (ex. add a slow to an at will power or something equally mild.)
    * 3 soulcharge = ???
    O 4 soulcharge = reroll an attack roll (keep either)
    * 5 soulcharge = replicate an encounter effect (ex. fly your speed as a move action or something mildy impressive)
    * 6 soulcharge= ???
    * 7 soucharge = replicate a daily effect (ex. punching through a wall with raw power as part of an attack)
    O 10 soulcharge = regain the use of an encounter power

be aware that even if you do not use soul charges, enemies will.

Characters:
    Iota Ferguson Skinless moasic Zealot [scout] (Light edge)
    Rhogar Okassan [warlord] (Order edge)
    Sara Nukumi Elf [Druid] (Fire Edge)
    Suzaku Elf [Monk] (Storm edge)
    Kentaro Ayasawa Skinless [Swordmage] (Earth edge)
    Last edited by incandescent; 2014-02-11 at 11:17 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Souledge ACTIVATE (OOC)

*reserve post, just in case*

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Great, let's get this started, shall we? I'll check the IC thread right away!

So, couple of things first :

- I think I'll take Deep Sky Blue as my speech color, possibly with Royal Blue for the voice in my head (that didn't sound ominous at all).
    - since you asked to warn you about immediate action usage, so you could integrate it yourself if need be... Well, I have the movement technique of Lightning Touch, which is an immediate interrupt (lightning step?), and since right now, I don't have anything else to do with my immediate actions, I guess I'll use it each time I can, unless I have a compelling reason not to (I might want to prioritize against which opponent I want to keep the option open, or remain in contact to provide flanking).

Anyway, let's go!
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Brown seems a good enough color for Taro I suppose.

Typical yes but why mess with an easy to associate color? Immediate will probably be popping my Aegis ability if my main mark slips past me and goes after others, with a priority on lowering damage on the target with the lowest health. Secondary marks are probably only going to be prioritized on attacks against critical allies or if the main mark stays on me.

Main Aegis trigger reduces damage by 8, Sword of Sigils special trigger reduces damage by 3.
    Character's in Progress: None
    Completed Characters: None
    Characters in Use: Kentaro(Souledge), Dalenbar Uranskor(Death of the Weave), Adalon(Outcast), Gri(Nentir Vale)
    Characters Retired: Davis Grand, Tuk
    Homebrew: Gunmage(v 1.0/Advice welcome)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Green as his scales. So far there are no interrupts or reactions to be concerned with for Rhogar.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

all right. I'll be back later today to check on this.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Macros View Post
    Love the title.

Just wondered, I think your armor check penalties to skills was converted in bonuses.
    Argh, I hate that about these sheets... it's probably just a sign error, I'll see if I can fix it.

If my sheet is confusing, it might be because all of my power descriptions are paraphrased and probably templated wrong the way I wrote them. Otherwise, this particular class is really not that different from a standard one, save for the fact that its at-will powers are structured as buffs to the melee basic attack.

Incandescent, are you sure you're okay with my character's appearance and such? I ask because sometimes, "your character will be heavily persecuted," translates to, "I'd rather not have to deal with having this kind of character in the party."

EDIT: Also also, here's my proposal for how we structure the power that everyone gets:

Share Alignment
    Move action. Range:Close Burst 5. Target: one ally in burst.
    Effect: The targeted ally may treat her attacks as though they had your alignment's damage type until the end of your next turn.

Anyway, repost:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Story time!

Iota Ferguson: Skinless Mosaic Zealot (Human Scout)

Spoiler
    Show
    Iota had a very religious upbringing in the northern Elven lands, and her primary mission is to recover stolen soul shards from warforged bandits and return them to their proper place in the Mosaic of Life.

Though she maintains that her quest is holy, her fervor is partially fueled by a quest of for revenge. A particularly dangerous construct cult master by the name of Ashes once captured her and gradually began stripping away her flesh in an attempt to reach the still-living soul in her squishy organic center. Iota was rescued by an order of elven knights, but Ashes escaped.

Skinless medicine is an advanced business, and her uncle happened to be a particular expert, but Iota was in critical condition. At least she was conscious or in shock for most of the torture, but an eye had already been plucked out, and much of her muscle mass boiled away. Uncle Emmett didn't really have the stuff to deal with that. What he did have was some fresh elf and warforged cadavers and SCIENCE, with all capital letters. You can probably see where this is going.

Itoa has a lot of blond hair, wrangled into a bob cut that may be slightly overdue for a trim. Her right eye has been replaced with a the dusty mechanism of a living construct. It clashes harshly with the rest of her face, which has regained most of its color and is pretty comely as far as skinless go, save for a few remaining stretch marks from the transplant. Her face can otherwise be said to be essentially her own, but she has the skin and bust of her best friend, who died in the battle with the cult of ashes.

The rest of her body was reconstructed based on her uncle's snap judgements regarding difficulty and invasiveness and is a combination of pronounced prosthetics and flesh from fallen elven soldiers: she sports apparently-wooden calves and biceps, pale muscle bulges on the back of her right hand when she makes a tight fist, her left hand is an altered prosthetic stuffed with medico-mechanical SCIENCE, and her abs are reinforced with subcutaneous metal plates. She is now, herself, something of a mosaic.

Naturally, Iota tries to conceal all of this most of the time with warm clothing and large spectacles. She has a preference for light grey and powder blue. She also wears a holy symbol on a necklace. It doesn't have any powers or anything, it's just a nice little design clearly representative of the Church of the Mosaic.

Background/rules connections:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Light Edge: Iota's soul manifests as a two-headed axe that she spins and flips around like a baton. The spinning wheel of light cuts through anything that doesn't get out of the way in a hurry.

Light, propel me forward! SPIN DASH! (Charging Ram stance)

The Light lays the behemoth low! DRAGONSLAYER! (Regal Lion stance)

Maybe... *pulse* is this...? *pulse* BLINDING SEARING FLASH!
    (Fire and Brimstone)

Watchful Rest: That disconcerting robot eye never blinks. She has to clean it off on occasion, and it took a long time to get used to, but at least lets her watch for ambush in her sleep.

Wilderness Tracker: It's hard to recover stolen soul shards if you can't investigate crimes in general!

Background skill bonus: +2 heal. (Because of her experience and growing up with her uncle around)

Skill Set:
    Religion (due to her church connection)
    Nature (as a ranger from Elf Land)
    Perception (as a ranger and investigator)
    Heal (from her heritage and experience)
    Acrobatics (just because it's awesome, I have no other reason)
    Thievery (because of her condition; she has parts that occasionally need to be adjusted or repaired, and she's always had a general knack for mechanical things.)

First level feat: A variant of Student of Artifice that doesn't grant Arcana, but doesn't require Int 13, either. She learned it from her uncle to help manage her condition. The infusion power is centered in her artificial left hand.

Theme: Devil's Pawn, mainly because the refluffed version of the first-level power seems really cool: nobody can see to attack or defend properly because of the soul-flashbang, and minions are down for the count with sunburns. That said, it could be that the Cult of Ashes' procedure technically worked, bringing another component of her soul close enough to the surface that it sometimes appears as a bright flare as it touches the material plane.

Edit again: Testing, one two. Cool, I think I've found a readable text color. I'll probably have to keep it in bold, though.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2014-02-07 at 08:14 PM.
    Alberta, Amber.
    Nexus Character Pile. Avatar by the Ninja Chocobo.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Incandescent, are you sure you're okay with my character's appearance and such? I ask because sometimes, "your character will be heavily persecuted," translates to, "I'd rather not have to deal with having this kind of character in the party."
    that's not it at all. In fact, i like the flavor you put in, it's something I wouldn't have expected.

The i way interpreted your description (i.e. "pretty comely as far as skinless go") meant you were walking around with your face exposed, giving you persecution on two fronts. people that see your cybernetics will be hesitant and those that see your exposed skin will be uncomfortable as well. I'm not saying you'll be attacked on sight (though there may be a rare instance where someone tries to rough you up in a lawless area). Yours is a unique situation, where your bonded skin is actual skin (traditional skinless use objects and other material things). so there will definitely be questions from people who don't know about your past. Though the 'filled out a questionnaire' bit in the intro is supposed to take care of that from your employers.

Anyway, I'm waiting for everybody to get their first IC post in before I move on.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Red y'all, because duh. Maybe Dark Red with Ember Thorns...

Sara Nukumi.

10. - Top - End - #10

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    If my sheet is confusing, it might be because all of my power descriptions are paraphrased and probably templated wrong the way I wrote them
    Oh, don't mind my confusion, the fault lies entirely with me being used with 2 at-wills, 1 encounter and 1 daily attack powers for everyone who's not a psionic. And then suddenly I see a sheet that actually has no attack power at all, and no daily on top of that (well one, but you got it from multiclassing), my brain needed some processing time.

Also, on the topic of the Share Alignment power (good generic name), might I suggest adding a clause making it not usable on someone of the opposite Edge-alignment? Don't know, I guess a fire-themed warrior suddenly dealing aqua damage would be a bit strange. It doesn't change much, but I think it would be good flavor.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Making more connecting background stuff because why not. If anyone objects... just tell me and I'll fix it!

Emmett Ferguson: Iota's uncle, a wacky old mad doctor who still lives in the elven lands with her parents.

Rhogar Quartzscale: A champion robot-fighting Okassan responsible for some of Iota's martial training. He's dead now, but his City-born baby boy is still around. (Given this, she identifies Rhogar's father's name correctly, even if Dr. Gunforhands doesn't.)

Sara Nukumi: An volatile elf girl Iota hangs around with lately. Why? She wonders herself, sometimes. I guess friendship means not necessarily needing an answer to that question.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2014-02-08 at 01:09 AM.
    Alberta, Amber.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

I'm typing up the next little bit, but I'm wondering if you guys want to continue introductions first. I Don't want to interrupt character establishment stuff.

13. - Top - End - #13

PaladinGuy

Perhaps something from avr and/or Doctor.Gunsforhands? We'll have time to continue our introductions while on the road.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

I would like to poke one fact before shuffling off to bed: I just realized that we can each represent a different genre of work

Rhogar: Historical
    Sara: Magical Girl
    Suzaku: Shounen
    Iota: Paranormal(?)
    Kentaro: Fighting

Line lengths were almost perfect
    Characters in Use: Kentaro(Souledge), Dalenbar Uranskor(Death of the Weave), Adalon(Outcast), Gri(Nentir Vale)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

testing something

Spoiler: adding a name to a spoiler box
    Show
    <><><>

I would like to poke one fact before shuffling off to bed: I just realized that we can each represent a different genre of work

Rhogar: Historical
    Sara: Magical Girl
    Suzaku: Shounen
    Iota: Paranormal(?)
    Kentaro: Fighting
    you know more about anime than I do

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

i used black text for both of the guards talking. i hope that didn't confuse anybody.

also, for the arcana thing. in combat you'll be able to see someone's edge and automatically identify their element. arcana lets ou sense an inactive edge.

also, fun fact: since everyone in this world is a potential walking weapon, people do not take kindly to random edge activation without there being a serious threat needing resolution. Shouting an activation phrase is kind of like shouting 'fire' in a theater or 'bomb' on a plane, except this goes for general public areas.
    Last edited by incandescent; 2014-02-08 at 03:31 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Move move move go go go!

Sedation is the death of PBP.

18. - Top - End - #18

PaladinGuy

Damnit, swordsag'd. I'll make some corrections to fit my post better in the timeline.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

anyone who wishes to talk to any of the other candidates before/during the current scene, just phrase so in your IC post. You could even dedicate one half your post for the wait and one half for your current action if you want.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

next post will be up in about 10 hours (was helping a friend all night, so too tired to get the whole thing up).

tiny spoiler for those who want to know the gist of what's going in the next post:

Spoiler
    Show
    you'll have a choice of assignments ranked by difficulty and be grouped into teams based on compatibility. You guys will vote on your assignment (as will the other teams) and be cut loose to accomplish your mission in seven days.

note: i assume those who don't talk between my posts aren't doing anything noteworthy during RP scenes and will try to generally get at least one post out to advance things each day regardless of response levels (tell me if I post at a time that's difficult for you to respond to). But I'll wait until everyone casts their IC vote for the next one.
    Last edited by incandescent; 2014-02-09 at 05:37 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Since I've got my hands of part of a copy of Martial Power (thanks Rokku) I'd like to swap my class encounter and daily powers for Myrmidon Formation and Calculated Assault. Is that OK incandescent?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

perfectly fine

EDIT: post up in a while.
    Last edited by incandescent; 2014-02-09 at 03:35 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

mission post is up.

24. - Top - End - #24

PaladinGuy

Gah! An intruder in our midst! Kill it with Fire! And he's vulnerable to it, to boot!

... Sorry, got carried away, there.

Now, to pick a mission... What to do, what to do.

Oh, and the soul of this elf is... surprisingly high tech.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

another exam coming up this tuesday, so i'll probably only get one post out in the afternoon today and then go quiet until after the exam.

OOC: the NPC groups are voting as well and you'll have to either convince them to step aside and let you take a job if you have your eyes on the same one or compete directly for a job (as in prove who's the better team via combat). Right now, team alpha is unanimously voting for the third mission while team gamma is split in all different direction. The kreen on your team is doing the thri kreen talkative version of silence: saying empty phrases after hearing what each of you says (basically saying "i comprehend that fully." or "This is understandable to me" after each statement).

note: and always feel free to leave questions, comments, criticisms, and concerns here for me.
    Last edited by incandescent; 2014-02-10 at 02:50 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

So, which Kreen build is this Xandi character using?

Maybe I've just played too much Shadowrun, but I'm also seeing distressing parallels between them and insect spirits... Nymphs for diplomats, Soldiers for the, er, soldiers, Drones for the foragers. Do I need to make a nature check to make sure they're not trying to take over the world?
    Alberta, Amber.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Actually, since it's probably going to matter: Whats the GP to Creds conversion or is it virtual money only good here?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Wear something under it? MADNESS!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rokku View Post
    Wear something under it? MADNESS!
    Of course not, you just wouldn't be a proper magical girl otherwise. The position is a mighty gift at the terrible cost of transformation sequences with only scattered flower petals to maintain a minimum viewer guide rating.

30. - Top - End - #30

PaladinGuy

Truly, yours is a terrible burden to carry.

Oh, and about the thri-kreens, of course they are trying to take over the world! I mean, who wouldn't?
    Fluctuat nec mergitur