A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Default Souledge ACTIVATE (IC)

Today's the day to see if you've made the cut. You've managed to navigate the labyrinthine shanty town and return to the Satellite Office of Interior Affairs where you initially filled out your application for a work visa. The building's mortar and steel make it easy to tell apart from the other homes and shops built from scrap. At the entrance, you see applicants of all stripes being turned away (mostly skinless and thri kreen) by two skinless guards with only a select few allowed into the courtyard beyond, which are mostly obscured by the throng.

Spoiler
    Show
    post character descriptions and actions here. Anything that falls outside that goes in OOC. Game on

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Souledge ACTIVATE (IC)

Even among such a disparate crowd, the presence of a short elven kid with white hair was quite noticable. Especially since his expression was akin to that of a cat who just fell into a pool of milk, and who wasn't quite sure if he should swim to get to safety or take the occasion to lap while he could.

Suzaku had never seen so many people in one place. The monastery had less than forty monks at most, and since then, he only ever entered small settlements. But this town was huge! And dirty, he couldn't help to notice. A part of him was quite excited at the novelty, but right now, he was mostly nervous. Not only was he not used to such huge crowds, but the fact that most of them were skinless did not help. At all. One could have think that travelling with one for weeks would have helped, but while Suzaku was now used to the brash swordman who took him under his wing, he still felt an instinctive sense of dread in the presence of skinless. The way they wore some makeshift skin that often didn't even match, it was just wrong! And now he was surrounded by them.

Instinctively, he moved closer to the towering figure next to him, tugging at his sleeve for reassurance.

"Taro-Nii-san, are you sure we should be here?"
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

The young Okassan moves easily through the crowds, with his size and outward confidence making a path. Overhearing the elf's words he pauses and laughs "Everyone should be here, at least once! This is the greatest city in the world!"

With a better look at the elf's face he exclaims "Suzaku, is that you? We met at that dojo when Mother was trying to find someone to pound some sense into my head. As you can see, no one succeeded!"

4. - Top - End - #4

PaladinGuy

Suzaku's head turned sharply at the new voice.

"Rho... Rhogar?"

He remembered the Okassan well, as well as their sessions at the dojo, a fresh breathe of excitement in an otherwise monotonous life. He had been a bit nervous at first, until he realized those sharp teeth were not meant to eat him. Probably.

"Wow, it's been so long! You..."

The young elf suddenly frowned, as if struck by a sudden realization.

"Hey, no fair! How come you get to be so big, now?!"

Sometimes, he couldn't help but think that being an elf sucked. Big time. Despite this, having another familiar face around here definitely lifted his spirits. He then turned to his companion. Introductions were in order, after all.

"Anyway, this is Taro, he helped me a while back. Taro, this is Rhogar. We trained together for a bit."
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

"Hmm, sorry," Kentaro grunts distractedly before turning around. He had been scanning the crowds for Keb, but the likelyhood of someone the worse groups of the area had gotten a hold of being in the vicinity of the Satellite Office was slim.

The Skinless man's irritation at the situation was clear on his face despite not only the tattered and grotesque appearance of it but also the lack of eyebrows. Even among the other Skinless, his peeling and blackening skin stood out among the odd assortment of bonded skins that was normal for his race. His apparel probably looked a fair bit more worn than the others waiting, his pack already fairly threadbare and the ends of the legs of his pants and hem of his shirt starting to fray.

"Yo," he greets the Okassan rather informally, offering out his left hand with a small smile, "Kentaro Ayasawa, Taro to most, Ayasawa if you're feeling formal. Rhogar, huh," hand being shaken or not Taro takes a moment to look the Okassan over, seemingly gauging the other man's use in a fight, before shrugging, "not that anyone needing sense pounded into them can be all bad."

His introduction done, Taro looks down at Suzaku, ruffling the Elven boys hair with his nearest hand.

"Yeah, sorry to drag you along selfishly,"Taro sighs, getting agitated again at the situation, "if it wasn't for old friends I wouldn't have wanted to come back either."
    Last edited by GranAures; 2014-02-07 at 09:23 PM.
    Character's in Progress: None
    Completed Characters: None
    Characters in Use: Kentaro(Souledge), Dalenbar Uranskor(Death of the Weave), Adalon(Outcast), Gri(Nentir Vale)
    Characters Retired: Davis Grand, Tuk
    Homebrew: Gunmage(v 1.0/Advice welcome)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

As old friends meet new friends, a voice of clear piercing anger cuts through the din.

"Get back here, you handsy bastard!"

A terrified grimlock shoves his way through the crowd, with source of the angry voice in hot pursuit.

Literally hot. As the shapely young elf with hair like fire and garments of green leaves tries to catch her groper, she appears to be starting to be starting to smolder. Luckily for the grimlock, he vanishes into the crowd, leaving her to fume near our heroes.

"I swear to Sehanine," shouts Sara - and is that smoke trailing out of her mouth? - "If one more person tries to grab my ass, I'm going to start reducing everything around me to charcoal!"
    Last edited by Rokku; 2014-02-07 at 10:08 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

A blonde, bespectacled woman in a thick off-white armor jacket runs back to unite with the elf. Though not much of her grafted flesh shows, it's still pretty clear that the taller and heavier of the two ladies is one of the skinless, which would explain her difficulty keeping up.

"Well, don't do that," Iota says to regarding her traveling companion's commentary. "Though, that is the third one today, so I couldn't blame you. I wouldn't have thought a line for work visas would attract so many perverts."

It was supposed to be a pretty simple trip; they were both going to metropolis from South Glen, and agreed to make the trip together because walking for a whole week alone sucks. Of course, given their clashing personalities, it's a pretty close call as to whether this made it any better.

Iota hears a name that just barely registers as one she's heard before, and catches sight of an order-colored lizard man bearing a striking resemblance to...

"...Rhogar? Excuse me, are you Rhogar Cityborn, by any chance? Rhogar Quartzscale's son?"

The Okassan has absolutely no reason to recognize this woman, but she does identify his dad's name correctly.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2014-02-08 at 01:07 AM.
    Alberta, Amber.
    Nexus Character Pile. Avatar by the Ninja Chocobo.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

"It's the dress," grumbled Sara, tugging at the hem to try and cover more of her backside, "I'll never know why Mother Nature decided it had to be so bloody short."

Sara glanced at the strange group Iota approaches.

"Friends of yours, Io?"
    Last edited by Rokku; 2014-02-08 at 01:53 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

"Sort of. I met his father, a long time ago. He dedicated his life to fighting warforged monsters, and shared his techniques with me. I owe a lot to him."
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2014-02-08 at 03:11 AM.
    Alberta, Amber.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

You find yourselves being funneled through the crowd of applicants faster than expected as they turn away more and more candidates. You can see now the skinless guards are nearly identical, covered in bits of rubble and re-bar. They look more like golems that sprang from the wall than people. Any of you who've been in skinless cities before might that these are 'sentinels', skinless who've bound themselves to a place, usually take a role in protecting that place, and don the very materials of their home as their skin. Once you're within about twenty five feet of them, you start to feel the impact of their souls. It's a peculiar sensation, being washed in the indistinct energies of another being's soul. You've all heard the stories and may have even seen first hand an individual with a layered spirit, but only Rhogar and Kentaro can readily identify their edges due to their extensive magical knowledge.

Spoiler: Rhogar and Kentaro
    Show
    (training in Arcana)

Both guards appear to have five total soul shells* surrounding them. The leftmost feels cold yet whimsical, like a temperate beach at dusk where the first torch has been lit to keep the bugs away (an aqua edge). The one on the right stirs any vulnerable doubts within you, as if everything you couldn't stand about yourself was suddenly cast on a mirror before you (a light edge). You don't know what to make of the sensations they emanate.

*soul shell = level

The two guards seem to recognize Rhogar and let him pass into the courtyard with a somewhat polite nod, though the Okassan doesn't think he's met them personally before. Metropolis is less a city and more an urban nation after all. But, Taro and Suzaku are stopped momentarily as the guards soul energies fluctuate around them. The one on the right scoffs distastefully at Kentaro and produces a list while the left looks down at Suzaku and asks in a fatherly manner."Hey little one, are you sure you're supposed to be here?" He sounds like he's in his early twenties. The one on the right doesn't even have to flip through the packet, apparently your names are near the front. "Well, well... Apparently they'll let anyone join the Dregs." He rudely waves the pair inside.

The ladies fare a bit better. They feel an erratic energy swirl about them as they walk between the guards, concentrated on the left side of the door. The left guard laughs nervously and catches himself staring at Sara, then goes uncomfortably rigid as he collects himself and stares straight ahead. The right guard seems more focused on his actual task, but still makes eye contact with Iota as she passes. The concrete on his face shifts organically as his eyes squint, like he sees something he can't quite explain. He consults his list and whispers to himself, hmm... Light edge? But, whatever concerns him doesn't warrant holding up the line apparently, so they're waved through.

On the other side of the gate, there's only a small group of other applicants. Three thri kreen have claimed the middle of the court yard. One looks normal (as far as the moth people go) with large wings, short mandible structures, and long, spindly limbs on a thin, aerodynamic body. But, the other two have an extra set of arms instead of wings, their mandibles are more menacing, and frames stockier. They all share the same vibrant purple and yellow color scheme. Iota and Sara know a bit more about the thri kreen people due to their knowledge of the natural world.

Spoiler: Iota and Sara
    Show
    (training in nature)
    You both can tell the winged center figure is a female and the two followers are male. The structures and more humanoid shape of her body suggest she is a diplomatic form while her attendants are the rarely seen combat forms. Combat forms are almost never seen outside of the kreen canyon due to their role as hive defenders. If they're here, this diplomat form must be someone important. All of the kreen you saw getting turned away from the gate before were the exploratory forager forms, which make up the second largest fraction of the population after skinless in the bridge slums.

The only other two in the area so far are a black skinned Okassan with his back to you off in the corner (one of maybe three you've seen this week, Rhogar excluded) and an aloof looking skinless staring into the sky while leaning against the wall. Her skin doesn't really have an overall theme, but some of the junk sticking off of her is interesting, like she rolled around in an antiques store. Two more sentinels are standing near the door leading to the interior of the SOIA.
    Last edited by incandescent; 2014-02-08 at 03:19 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Rhogar answers Iota "I scarcely knew my father, Quartzscale. He was very brave, I am told" - this with a twist of the mouth - "but that could not keep him alive when the worst happened. At least he lives on in memory."

"Enough of that! Look at these people we will have on our side. I have talked to a few of the moth people but never for long. Another Okassan, I should find out which clan will record his deeds. And that Skinless. I have never seen such a strange skin, have you?" He heads over to the aloof woman "Ho! Are you here to join these Dregs with us also?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I rolled History in the dice rolling thread to see if the junk on her skin meant anything to me. Rhogar's luck is holding so far, I maxed out & rolled a total of 30. His Diplomacy is +7 but I haven't rolled that yet.
    Last edited by avr; 2014-02-08 at 06:35 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

PaladinGuy

Suzaku tried not to show his confusion when the guard asked him almost exactly the same question he asked Taro earlier. So he wasn't sure either? But how did him being little had anything to do with that? Plus, he had to help Taro looking for his friend, so that was the end of that.

And I'm not little. It's the others who are too big.

He focused on the other people in the room. The thri-kreen, in his opinion, were awesome, and it took him all his concentration not to openly gawk at them. But he often wondered what it would be like to have two more arms. He was always fascinated by the okassan, whose scales seemed to always be different. He guessed it was a bit like an hair color. And the skinless woman... well, he tried not to look at her too much. It was better this way.

Then, there was the other people, who claimed to know Rhogar, even if he didn't know them. He would have liked to talk to the elven girl, which would be practically the first time he did so with another elf near his age ; she seemed a bit angry right now, though, perhaps he should wait a bit. The other one was... strange. She looked like a bit like an elf too, but there was something... wrong with that. And a metal eye? How could you have an eye of metal? Even if he had to admit it was a bit cool.

Right now, though, he felt it was better to stick to the people he knew. Since Rhogar was adressing the skinless woman, he moved closer to Taro instead, before whispering.

"Sooo... are we waiting for someone? Is it going to be long?"

His initial nervousness was mostly gone now, replaced by an irresistible need to do something. Hopefully that wouldn't put him in too much trouble.
    Last edited by Macros; 2014-02-08 at 07:00 AM.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

"Ho! Are you here to join these Dregs with us also?"
    She draws her attention from the sky and you 'feel' her smile at you. This must be because her mouth and nose are wholly obscured by a short ceramic plate that looks like a beak. She reaches to her left shoulder and turns a doorknob, causing a small jewelry box on her hip to open. She takes out two pieces of what appear to be some kind of dried fruit and extends one to you. "I aim to, yes." Her voice is soft, quiet.

Spoiler: history check
    Show
    Each object she carries seems to be from a different time and place. But, you find two things of note while scanning her body. On one side of her rib cage, there's a flat chunk of old stone inscribed with the runes of a dead language. You would guess from an old temple of The Forgotten, a race that vanished thousands of years ago leaving ghostly ruins strewn across the center of the north continent. The other is a small, bright red jewel on her neck that looks well cut. The high quality suggests that it's of Grimloki make.

side note: you don't sense the presence of her spirit like you did witht he guards. Either she has a very low spiritual presence or is concealing it. Normally you can at least feel something within five feet of someone.

(reserved for interactions while the candidates arrive, just make not in your post)

Everyone simply has to suffer with their anxiety or anticipation for the next half hour while the remaining ten candidates get sifted through the gate. The final roster includes:

- a surprising five more thri kreen.
    Spoiler: trained in nature
    Show
    two combat forms and three forager forms

- two skinless (a grim looking woman covered in animal bones and an equally disturbing man covered head to toe in plastic googley eyes)
    - one grimlock (a well dressed gentleman. A short, stocky bodybuilder type in a suit)

With everyone present and accounted for, the gate closes and the door to the SOIA opens. A small, thin skinless woman steps out, followed by a male elf wearing glasses. Each of her calculated steps clinks against the ground due to the steel and copper wires wrapped around her feet and all the way up her body. TV and radio antennas are woven into the coils of her skin, protruding like insect hairs or feelers. Her dizzying soul presence can be felt from forty feet away like static on the edge of your hearing.

Spoiler: trained in arcana
    Show
    Her soul is lightning that brings darkness, pulling the very sky to her whim and bringing black strikes of pain across her eight soul shells. (Storm edge)

After everyone adjusts to her presence she launches into a speech. She appears somewhat disconcerting as her jaw moves beneath the wire mummification. There's no opening for her mouth.

"Your records and applications have convinced the many governments of Metropolis to grant you access to a work visa. This places you in a group of bottom tier salvagers known as the Dregs. Time will show you to either be productive workers in this great hierarchy or prove you incompetent."
    She pauses for a second as her scanning eyes pass over Kentaro, but she continues without any mistakes.
    "I am Mokaina Veratroz, field operations manager. This- (she gestures to the elf behind her) -is our book keeper, Berran Yasinth. He will be responsible for giving you low priority salvaging jobs until you get my attention, at which point you'll be brought under my full jurisdiction. You have seven days to bring sustenance or provide service to the nation-city of Metropolis, else you forfeit your work visa and we give it to someone who can. I will remain here if any of you have questions and Berran will take his station inside for those of you ready to accept assignments.

Berran bows sheepishly and walks back into the office and Mokaina takes a position next to the guards by the door.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Iota looks at the guard going over her papers, expecting him to ask a question, but thankfully it seems he was just absentmindedly talking to himself. Her papers contain an accurate account her background and references. Perhaps that detail seemed inconsistent with all of the dark stuff surrounding it.

Iota doesn't feel that way, though.

"I have never seen such a strange skin, have you?"

"Ummm..."

*Yoink!*

...well, that worked out. Iota isn't especially interested in bothering everyone else who is trying to go about their business, even though many of them just seem to be standing around. The one Kreen must be an actual literal diplomat, rather than one of the would-be salvagers, though it could be wrong to stereotype that group based on their subraces. Her gaze does linger on the Okassan Rhogar pointed out, as he is apparently staring at a wall for some reason. Otherwise, she patiently waits in line, passively observing her surroundings... barring any further Sara-related hijinks.

Finally, the Field Ops person arrives. This whole way of organizing things feels like a contradiction. But, the ruins are notoriously dangerous, and if any soul shards are left behind... yes, Iota must do this. It's part of her mission.

She proceeds inside to see how the, "assignments," are doled out. She can't imagine that the assignments are on an individual basis, so maybe she can get herself and Sara in on one with a low pervert count...
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2014-02-08 at 04:40 PM.
    Alberta, Amber.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

"They'll probably do a small intro ceremony when they get us all in one place, officials like to talk after all" Taro grumbles irritably, taking a seat against the wall near the passage in. "I'm going to chill here and see what we have to work with, and I don't want to deal with strangers right now, but I'll keep an eye out if you want to mingle."

Knowing his wearing patience would cause him to likely pick a fight, Taro just simply waits for whatever introduction there might be, taking mental note of any impressive auras passing through the doorway while keeping an eye on Suzaku if the elven boy wanted to find someone to talk to.

With the introductions from Mokaina starting Kentaro finds himself growing more annoyed. All this official stuff was giving him a headache and the woman's static, more than enough to remind him of his time with Iwata, wasn't helping. Somehow he manages to not scoff when Mokaina mentions their "great hierarchy" but still silently hopes that he can be done with his concerns and be gone again before drawing her attention.

"Well, let' see what we can find," Taro says to Suzaku after the ceremony breaks, pulling himself from against the wall and heading his way inside the SOIA building.
    Characters in Use: Kentaro(Souledge), Dalenbar Uranskor(Death of the Weave), Adalon(Outcast), Gri(Nentir Vale)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

"Finally, I've been waiting forever," groans Sara. She stalks into the office, and strides with purpose up to Berran's desk.

"So mister bookkeeper, what have you got for me?"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Rhogar accepts the fruit and smiles back "I am Rhogar Cityborn, at your service. To judge by your skin I should have thought you experienced at searching ruins, what brings you to be starting in the Dregs like us?"

---------

Rhogar follows Iota in "I must apologise for my shortness earlier. My father is a sore point you see. Maybe though we could get an assignment together and you could tell me more?"
    Last edited by avr; 2014-02-09 at 06:29 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

PaladinGuy

Suzaku was beginning to think this place wasn't so great after all. Seeing an old friend had been nice, but now everyone seemed tense, he could feel Taro's nervousness, even if he was not quite sure of the reasons, there was a lot of scary skinless around, and he constantly felt powerful auras, which was beginning to give him an headache. Plus, now he was bored.

Well, to hell with that. The elven girl in green might seem a bit moody, but it was something new. Right now, she was talking to the elf with glasses - Berran, was it? - who was apparently explaining something about team assignments.

"Oooh, how many persons are in a team? Can we choose with who we are? Because I'd like to stay with Taro-Nii-San, if that's possible. And what do we do? Is it dangerous? Is..."

The elven youth suddenly became quiet as he realized he was beginning to ramble. Worse, he interrupted. The monks hated when he did that. Not sure how those guys felt about it though.

"Eeeer, sorry. I didn't want to interrupt." He turned toward the elf girl, offering her an embarassed smile. "Um... hi? I'm Suzaku. I saw your friend talk to my friend. Oh, is it your friend? It seemed that way, but I'm never sure. Is it your first time in town? It is for me, it's so big! A bit scary though, and... and I'm rambling again. ... Sorry."
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Rhogar accepts the fruit and smiles back "I am Rhogar Cityborn, at your service. To judge by your skin I should have thought you experienced at searching ruins, what brings you to be starting in the Dregs like us?"
    (assuming this happened before the field operator's appearance)

She looks back up to the sky for a moment. "Interesting things come from ruins, yes. This is why I seek to join. I find these baubles and trinkets by chance or through trade, you see. If I were able to come and go as I please, I could find many more things."

"So mister bookkeeper, what have you got for me?"

"Oooh, how many persons are in a team? Can we choose with who we are? Because I'd like to stay with Taro-Nii-San, if that's possible. And what do we do? Is it dangerous? Is..."

"I must apologise for my shortness earlier. My father is a sore point you see. Maybe though we could get an assignment together and you could tell me more?"
    Berran is a bit overwhelmed as the tide of Dregs piles into his office. The thri kreen compete with the black and white Okassan* (and anyone else) for space near the front while the skinless covered in plastic eyes stands in the doorway, giving attention to both everyone inside and his bone covered friend talking to Mokaina outside with the eclectic skinless. Sara is one of the first to speak and Berran tries to respond before Suzaku fires off a series of questions, prompting the big Okassan to shout "Let's GO!" to rush Berran along.

Spoiler: okassan description
    Show
    He wears a tribal loin guard and is his body is studded with polished black jewelry, identifying him as an elemental worshiper of the dark edge.
    Spoiler: Rhogar knowledge about the okassan
    Show
    The coloring of his skin suggests he is from one of the tribes that lives near the top of the great vines, leaping from the spires jutting into the sky onto prey in the canopy below or climbing from the stark shadows cast by the sun onto prey above. They look strange when sen on ground level, but in the sky their counter shade makes for excellent camouflage. Things viewing them from above see their black tops while they're in the shadows and their white bellies against the sun while they're leaping down.

The Elf sighs and sits down behind his desk, "If you'll turn your attention to this side of the room-" he points to an adjacent wall with a large, blank screen embedded into it "-and quiet down, we'll be able to get down to business. Don't be alarmed, but I must activate my edge to interact with the system."

He pushes up his glasses with one hand and holds out his other to the side. Hear the digital song of the data stream. One-one-Zero-ONE! ALGORITHMIC EDGE! An orb of shimmering water appears in the palm of Berran's hand, then spreads onto his wrist and circles around it before solidifying into a purple bracer that hovers around his forearm. Suddenly, only for a moment, everyone in the room feels as if they're lost in a sea of roiling variables and crashing waves of information in the presence of Berran's aqua edge.

Berran lays his hand flat against a silvery square on his desk. The number '13' burns brightly on his soul edge and the wall screen lights up. The Elf smiles like he's in the middle of some sort of battle lust, as if he's just one being about to take on an army. The images and data on screen fly by too fast to see until everything is already settled in place. Digital images of all the Dreg's faces appear next to a short description of them and their edge type.

Berran's voice changes, the scrawny elf suddenly filled with a warrior's arrogance, "Heh heh. Using my superior computational abilities, I've been able to assign you to teams that best compliment your combined strengths and mitigate your individual weaknesses. You are now as efficient as you can be...

Spoiler: Roster
    Show

Team Alpha: Rank 1
    Kadalka, Hive Iket -- Storm Edge (thri kreen)
    Quoril, Hive Gyth -- Earth Edge (thri kreen)
    Darik, Hive Gyth -- Fire Edge (thri kreen)
    Gitek, Hive Gyth -- Storm Edge (thri kreen)
    Iltid, Hive Gyth -- Aqua Edge (thri kreen)
    Kalak, Hive Gyth -- Earth Edge (thri kreen)

Team Beta: Rank 1
    Iota Ferguson -- Light Edge (skinless)
    Sara Nukumi -- Fire Edge (elf)
    Rhogar Cityborn -- Order Edge (okassan)
    Kentaro Ayasawa -- Earth Edge (skinless)
    Suzaku -- Storm Edge (elf)
    Xandi, Hive Gyth -- Aqua Edge (thri kreen)

Team Gamma: Rank 1
    Ysanc -- Dark Edge (okassan)
    Rakella -- Order Edge (skinless)
    Drentio -- Light Edge (skinless)
    Ju -- Earth Edge (Grimlock)
    Matilda -- Chaos Edge (skinless)
    Inkiss, Hive Gyth -- Storm Edge (thri kreen)

"And now... onto the available missions..." The team information window slides to one side and four assignments pop up. Several of the salvaging missions are already struck out and less straightforward missions are in their place.

Missing Elven Gourds
    Sponsor: Elven Embassy
    Potential Risk: Moderate
    Payout: 2200 Metropolitan credits
    Spoiler
    Show
    A small time elven scientist working within metropolis has decided to expose himself to the authorities rather that losing years of research. She's trying to promote plant growth in the desolate Temple Lands in the center of the northern continent and has been procedurally breeding a hardier species of the elven mainstay crop using her botanical expertise in conjunction with skinless medical facilities. However, her last shipment of specimens never made back to the elven province. The secret nature of her work has caused a minor political scandal, leading to a relatively low reward. Those who select this assignment will be given access to the investigative materials on the land transport's last known whereabouts.

Fishing Vessel Thieves
    Sponsor: Ahk (Grimloki Outreach Program)
    Potential Risk: Low
    Payout: 1300 Metropolitan credits
    Spoiler
    Show
    Grimlock fishing vessels that have agreed to work for the nation-city have had problems with some kind of water borne thieves. The losses have become significant despite crew efforts to prevent the theft and the captain of the small fleet has offered up a reward for anyone that can discover the culprits and put an end to it. Those who select this assignment will be required to spend a measure of time aboard ship.

Temple Land Criminals
    Sponsor: NCDF (Nation City Defense Force)
    Potential Risk: Very High
    Payout: 7500 Metropolital credits
    Spoiler
    Show
    Somehow, a criminal element has managed to set up a base of operations deep in the temple lands with no apparent supply lines aside from seemingly nonrandom attacks. Their targets have included scientific vessels, the occasional food shipment from another team of Dregs, and even police forces that have been sent to root them out. The NCDF requests a highly skilled team to penetrate the compound and remove the criminal element or investigate the threat (for a partial reward based on information give) if unable to remove it. Those who select this assignment will be given access to records of encounters with the criminals and dossiers on suspects. In addition, a rapid extraction vehicle will be provided so the team can strike and leave quickly.

note: This assignment takes place in a different geographical area from the case provided by the elven embassy, so it is unlikely the two are related.

Escort delegation from the Flotilla
    Sponsor: NCDF (Nation City Defense Force)
    Potential Risk: Moderate
    Payout: 3000 Metropolitan Credits
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Thri kreen population explosion in recent years has led to many refugees coming to Mulkay gate (the first tax gate to get onto the bridge) and building a veritable settlement on the other side. With so many clamoring to get in and living with such little resources, they're a volatile crowd. The NCDF fears that asking them to step aside and make way for a political delegation from the Floating City might cause a riot and asks that whoever selects this assignment either be proficient with crowd control or negotiations.

There's a moment's pause before the Dregs start putting their names forth on the different missions.
    Last edited by incandescent; 2014-02-09 at 06:08 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

"Hmm. I would seem so!" Iota says to Rhogar, observing the group listing. She clears her throat. "Team Beta! Over here!"

She discusses the options with the assembled group. "I have some experience with investigation, so I would prefer to be on one of the first three cases. Assuming nobody here is a sailor, we could also rule out the second one. That leaves the two Temple Lands cases."

She gestures at the High Risk investigation as though about to voice her own clear preference, but runs into a twinge of guilt. She looks down at the elven schoolboy and then up at the swordsman who is apparently his adopted big brother.

"...any preference?"
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2014-02-09 at 08:53 PM.
    Alberta, Amber.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Sara looks at the little rambling elf boy. He might be cute, if he could ever stop talking.

"Io's... I guess we're friends? We kind of stumbled into each other and stuck together for the trip."

Sara nodded at her team assignment. Fortunate that she'd at briefly met most of the crew earlier.

"We take the third one, definitely," she says, "I'm supposed to be fighting great evil, and the others are slightly evil at best."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

"Here's one," Kentaro speaks up, his hands stuffed into his poclets as he gazes about their little group, "how about we figure out what we can all do before we go deciding on what we should do?"

Following his own advice, Kentaro pauses for a moment to gather the words he's looking for.

"To start, I'm can extend out some of my aura to hinder and weaken attacks made against others as well as leave a portion in others to give them a few extra reasons to keep on me. Aside from that, Iwa-ji made me learn a bit of history and helped me sharpen my spiritual and empathic senses."

Taro looks over the listings a bit, skimming the details before continuing.

"Likewise, though, the first three seem fine enough, second might be more trouble than it's worth if we can't swim well and the third may well put us against others a bit better organized than we are," a flash of something like a crazed enjoyment of the chances lights in Taro's eyes for a moment, "The fourth doesn't want my form of crowd control control I'm sure."
    Last edited by GranAures; 2014-02-09 at 11:52 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

PaladinGuy

"Woah, amazing!"

To think Taro could do all of those cool stuff... Suddenly realizing his outburst had drawn attention to him, Suzaku scratched the back of his head, feeling a bit self-conscious.

"Well, I'm good at fighting and stuff... Oh, and running and jumping around, too!" An air-propelled elf kid had been a real nightmare to catch when he didn't want to, even for trained monks. "And I can use wind and lightning, they told me that was really hard to deal with in a fight. Never... did it for real, though. Not against people."

It'll be okay, don't worry.

The voice helped Suzaku feel a bit more secure. Perhaps he couldn't do as much as the others, who all seemed to have incredible talents, but he wouldn't be a dead weight! Plus, the girl said there was great evil to be fought. The young elf wasn't sure of what a great evil looked like, but he knew it needed to be kicked in the face. That's how they did it in books, anyway.

"Aaand... I don't really know for those missions, I'll let you decide on that."
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

"I'm a magical warrior of love and justice," Says Sara.

She pauses. Then she sighs.

"Or at least that's what Mother Nature told me. Anyway I'm in touch with Nature and my Edge slashes and burns at close and long range. And I'm alert. Very perceptive. Which means YES I CAN HEAR YOU TALKING ABOUT HOW SHORT MY SKIRT IS OVER THERE!""

It's not entirely clear who she's yelling at.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

"Fascinating."

Io's delivery makes her sound bored, but she has been staring at Kentaro and Suzaku attentively for his whole description of their powers. The one unblinking fake eye makes it a little uncomfortable, but bored she clearly isn't. Given Suzaku's shaky background, it may be better to go after the gourds first and see if they can come back for the one with the higher reward...

She's clearly just suffering through Sara's bit, though, and sighs at the end of it. "You know, if it makes you that self-conscious, you can always wear something under it..."

Iota waits for Rhogar or The Other Guy to speak, but apparently it's her turn now.

"Well, as I said, my experience lies mostly in tracking and combat. I can also set up a camp for ambush prevention... and I should probably mention my medical background..."

She sighs and starts counting on her fingers. "Disabling mechanical locks and traps, survival and navigation (although Sara is actually better from what I can tell), and identifying religious texts and relics.

"...but, I would hardly consider myself an expert at anything."
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2014-02-10 at 09:18 PM.
    Alberta, Amber.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

(before the field operator appears)

"Well, perhaps I will find something to trade to you some time. To whom would I be trading treasures?"

---------

(in the current conversation)

"I know many tales of my people and others, and I have a little sense of magic but it is my edge you want to hear about, eh? It is most helpful, protecting others or guiding their hands in a fight." Rhogar raises a fist "Alone, I am not so great a warrior, but with my friends by my side these criminals shall tremble!"

Suddenly self-conscious he shrugs "Gourds or crowds or criminals, I am sure we will do well. But the criminals are the only job that pays even if we do not entirely succeed."

27. - Top - End - #27

PaladinGuy

"You tell them, Rhogar!"

The young monk had still no idea what the deal with those missions was, but hearing the others speaking, he was beginning to feel pumped up. And they all seemed to have awesome tricks. Well, except...

"Wait, what about him?" Suzaku said, quite rudely pointing directly at the thri-kreen. "What about you? You didn't even tell us what you'd like to do."

In fact, he pretty much didn't tell them anything. Suzaku might be young, but he had spent enough time with tigh-lipped monks who used to sprout poetical nonsense when asked any sort of question more sophisticated than "where's the bathroom?" to recognize that kind of behavior on the spot.
    Last edited by Macros; 2014-02-10 at 12:30 PM.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

"Ember Blossom burns up anything else I try to wear," grumbles Sara.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by avr View Post
    (before the field operator appears)

"Well, perhaps I will find something to trade to you some time. To whom would I be trading treasures?"
    "Matilda. Matilda Vyrmseek." She extends a hand covered in everything from bug shells to bottle caps, ready to shake yours, "And you might be?"

--- --- ---

Quote Originally Posted by Macros View Post
    "Wait, what about him?" Suzaku said, quite rudely pointing directly at the thri-kreen. "What about you? You didn't even tell us what you'd like to do."
    Xandi clicks his mandibles several times as if working up the courage to truly speak before bursting with rapid speech. "Your ou-ords are not easy to say for one hatched as nyselth... -as nee *sigh*... -as this one. I an not created to stheak other tongues though I ou-ill try. His lack of lips seems to impede the associated sounds. He tries to emulate them by pressing his raspy tongue against the roof of his mouth. "I use ou-ater like needles. This one's strikes are quickik and he nooves like ou-ater as he attacks. I ou-ould rather not choose the sane nission as tean Alpha, though I thollow the collectithe Beta ith they choose it." He rapidly clicks in frustration, fed up with his inability to speak properly.

Your group still hasn't reached a unanimous descision, though at least you aren't arguing about it like team Gamma. But, while you deliberate, the thri kreen dominated theme approaches Berran's desk. The winged Kadalka's voice is like a song "iI speak for the rest of Team Alphaa. wW choose the criminal lands assignmentt."

Berran looks to the rest of you, holding his hand threateningly above the silver square on his desk like he's about to behead an invisible victim, "Any challengers to this claim?

Team Beta is too busy arguing amongst itself to make a response.
    Last edited by incandescent; 2014-02-10 at 06:11 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Sara immediately swivels to Berran.

"Heck yes we challenge! Lets do this thing!"