New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Drunks and Dragons?

Is it known to function, or no? Currently debating with a friend about it (I'm on the side of No).

Have any of you tried it?

Personally, I feel like the campaign will just devolve as the night goes on.
    Thanks to Ceika for the awesome avatar!
    - Current Characters -
    Lurk - Poison Dusk Rogue
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Ursus the Grim View Post
    Everyone's right. Its okay to attempt diplomatic solutions. Its also alright to respond to a Scorching Ray by burying your dagger in his friend's sternum. Twice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeso View Post
    "All praise be to Pelor"
    "Thank Pelor"
    "If it wasn't for Pelor"
    "Have you heard the story of Pelor?"
    "What in Pelors name is this?"
    "Can you give me directions to the temple of Pelor?"

Pelor must be half insane by now

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Drunks and Dragons?

I'm not entirely sure what the question is.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

If you're asking if it's possible to play while getting drunk. Then I can tell from experience it is possible, but it's not as crisp as playing sober.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Don't drink and DM is advice for a reason. I could see GMing while tipsy working for a less serious game, particularly where that intersects with stylistically bizarre. Outside of that, it seems like a bad idea.

For a player, intoxication is probably less of an issue, though this is dependent on character. I'm pretty sure that basically anyone can play a drunk mercenary while mildly drunk - it probably even helps, outside of mechanical iffiness. An eloquent diplomat...less so.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    If you're asking if it's possible to play while getting drunk. Then I can tell from experience it is possible, but it's not as crisp as playing sober.
    Alright, that's what I was looking for.

One of our DM's wants to get drunk and run a session or two. I'm willing to play, but I was just wondering if it was functional.
    Thanks to Ceika for the awesome avatar!
    - Current Characters -
    Lurk - Poison Dusk Rogue
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Ursus the Grim View Post
    Everyone's right. Its okay to attempt diplomatic solutions. Its also alright to respond to a Scorching Ray by burying your dagger in his friend's sternum. Twice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeso View Post
    "All praise be to Pelor"
    "Thank Pelor"
    "If it wasn't for Pelor"
    "Have you heard the story of Pelor?"
    "What in Pelors name is this?"
    "Can you give me directions to the temple of Pelor?"

Pelor must be half insane by now

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Check out Crit Juice. It is awesome, and the focus is "how drunk will the players get throughout the session". Well, sort of

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

I did a drunk D&D session last year, it was a lot of fun, although expect even more time than usual to be lost to jokes and off-topic conversations. It was during one such conversation that I decided to get the game moving by sticking my character's head through a door to scout out the next room (I was playing as an Unbodied, so was incorporeal) only for her to drop dead as she met the gaze of the bodak waiting there. So, yeah, good fun for one-shots, but don't do it with characters you care about.
    Quote Originally Posted by SPoD View Post
    I can't think of anything more thrilling to read than the blow-by-blow specifics of a battle between an ancient black dragon and an apprentice baker.

8. - Top - End - #8

NecromancerGuy

I've once played with the DM and his wife, which has a kinda low alcohol tolerance and got tipsy and tired by cold medicine. It was very funny when she threw hand grenades into a trolls mouth and tried to set them off by punching the troll in the stomach. It got considerably less funny when her well-liked character was eviscerated by an angry troll. We had our first and only retcon of an entire evening and decided unanimously on not playing when drunk or overtired.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Probably not wise to do this as one session of a longer campaign, but it could lead to a grand time of a one-shot.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Don't drink and DM is advice for a reason. I could see GMing while tipsy working for a less serious game, particularly where that intersects with stylistically bizarre.
    I usually have a beer, sometimes two if the game runs long. It's exactly the right amount to loosen my tongue. (It's pretty much the only way to get me to act social with strangers, too...) My players usually drink 2-3 beers each over the evening, while one polishes off about half a bottle of wine instead.

You couldn't really tell anyone's been drinking, if you didn't know us, but that might be because we're all congenital alcoholics and drink like sponges daily. (Not really, no.)

Actually getting drunk seems like a terrible idea, though. People are going to be off the ball, distracted, talking on about whatever, rambling and getting lost. They might get sleepy - drinking heavily while just sitting around and talking can do that.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

People are affected differently.

In my afternoon sessions, by the fifth hour, I'm sometimes on my second beer, and my third coffee. I feel no ill effects, and I'm not tipsy.

(Having said that, I learned in college that I could beat my roommate at chess while tipsy.)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

In my experience, drinking and role-playing do, in fact, go well together.

But two thing must be noted. One is it only works with drinking in moderation. You'd be surprised how much a good buzz opens up players minds to possibilities they normally would see (studies have actually shown a buzz helps problem solving skills). And it opens up even the most introverted players to putting effort into their role-playing. But if everyone chooses to get absolutely snockered, things will devolve quickly. Secondly, don't expect things to go as smoothly, nor for great deals to be accomplished. The party with definitely do things, but it's likely to be slightly less productive than most games as well as slightly more filled with inside jokes and shenanigans. But it will be fun.
    Last edited by BootStrapTommy; 2014-02-08 at 11:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    Kill a PC's father? Well that's just the cost of doing business.
    Steal a PC's boots? Now it's personal.
    Please take everything I say with a grain of salt. Unless we're arguing about alignment. In which case, you're wrong.

Former EMPIRE2! Player: Imperator of the Nihoni Dominion
    Former EMPIRE3! Player: Suzerain of the Phœnīx Estates
    Former EMPIRE4! Player: Margrave of the Margraviate of Rhune
    My Awesome Campaign Setting

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Play Paranoia! and use 6-pack rules. Every time your clone dies, you finish your drink and open another!
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Rhynn View Post
    I usually have a beer, sometimes two if the game runs long. It's exactly the right amount to loosen my tongue. (It's pretty much the only way to get me to act social with strangers, too...) My players usually drink 2-3 beers each over the evening, while one polishes off about half a bottle of wine instead.

You couldn't really tell anyone's been drinking, if you didn't know us, but that might be because we're all congenital alcoholics and drink like sponges daily. (Not really, no.)

Actually getting drunk seems like a terrible idea, though. People are going to be off the ball, distracted, talking on about whatever, rambling and getting lost. They might get sleepy - drinking heavily while just sitting around and talking can do that.
    In my experience this amount is has positive results. It's the sweet spot where your inhibitions start to loosen up, but you're not walking sideways yet :P
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal