A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Skeletons in the Closet IC

Thunder rumbles through the grey Seattle sky, promising another day of rain. It is late October, and once again the city is bracing for Halloween and the Halloweener violence that comes with it. Perhaps in expectation for that night, local news has been slow, with Horizon still broadcasting stories about the apartment massacre three weeks ago. Knight Errant assures the city that the investigation is progressing well, but the shadows whisper. They whisper a lack of DNA evidence, no small feat even in the awakened world. They whisper of a mark left in blood, six feet wide and left in the room of a man with eight bodyguards, two of them mages. They whisper of meetings at the highest level of Knight Errant - it was an Ares apartment complex, and Ares managers who were slaughtered. But most of all, they whisper of the bounty sure to come.

Still, that is of little concern to a new runner, out to make their name. Scattered across the metroplex, six such runners stretch in the morning air, either greeting the day or bidding it a fond farewell. But rest is not on the agenda for the morning, as six commlinks chirp with the same video message.

Your comm displays a bald dwarf, sporting a terrible burn scar on the left side of his face that is interrupted by a yellow cybereye. He flashes a grin at the camera, revealing a mouth of suspiciously perfect teeth, before he begins to speak in a faint Brooklyn accent.

"G'morning, chummer. You don't know me, but I've heard a lot about you. The name's Gareth Hopper. I have a Johnson looking for some capable runners, and I think you'd be perfect for the job. Come to the Fallen Star Club tonight - there's good nuyen in it."
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2014-02-10 at 11:35 PM.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Skeletons in the Closet IC

Karl walked down the street, collar of his long black coat flipped up to prevent the coming rain, which would more than likely be acidic, from getting onto the armor plates he had for a chest and back. Getting them repaired would cost far too much Nuyen, and he really didn't feel like listening to a cyber tech trying to warn him about impending cyber psychosis again. The last had to learn to keep his mouth shut. A lesson Karl enjoyed telling very much.

Karl walked down the street, people instinctively moving away from the man whirring his way down the street. Of course, spotting the guns under his coat, and the hilt of a samurai sword helped move them along too. Thunder rumbled, and Karl quietly queried his commlink for a place to wait out the coming storm.

Then the dwarf appeared. His commlink automatically displayed the thing in front of him, projecting the image through his sim module and into his line of vision. A silent command scaled the dwarf down small enough to cease impeding his gait through the street.

Another rumble of thunder issued from Karl's throat.

A job meant credits. But it also meant working with people. Most of whom probably avoid upgrades like a plague.

If only they knew what it was to be so perfect...

Erika, Karl thought, and a silver skinned nymph appeared before Karl.

Yes, milord?

Give me directions to the Fallen Star club.

It was time to go to work.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sammlerin was laying in her shack, a medley of arcane objects from a variety of traditions scattered around the one-room house. Idly playing with a deer femur, the true drake's yellow eyes were darting back and forth as she correlated the results of the DNA sequencing she had ordered from Telestrian Industries.

Mitochondrial species-specific sequences are consistent with the grey wolf. Hmm, if her genotype is truly that of a conventional wolf...

Before the dark purple dracoform had a chance to finish her thought, a blinking icon denoting a new message appeared in the corner of her vision. A twitch of her right hand opened it, and she listened to the dwarf's message, sighing inwardly afterward. A more thorough analysis of these data and forwarding the findings to her liaison would have to wait. She may not know exactly why her Father had sent her here, but it clearly was not strictly for academic pursuits.

After pulling her goggles and headphones off with a talon she casually transformed into a young female elf. She stretched as she prepared a less-than-satisfying meal and downed a mug of soykaf, wondering for the nth time how humans could tolerate eating nothing but this "food" their whole lives. After getting dressed, she slung a pack over her shoulder and loaded the mapsoft for Seattle on her commlink. Viewing the optimal route to the Fallen Star Club through a pair of eyeglasses, she headed out, feeling a slight tingling sensation as she passed through the barrier surrounding the magical lodge in her home. She headed into the sprawling metroplex before her, ready to get to work.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Tomas plodded through his morning rituals. Last night was good but the aftereffects, well, he wasn't twenty any more. Coffee. Clothes. Clear the spam messages off his commlink, save Kitty's message in case she still means it when she's sober. Recheck the clothes ... wait, was the commlink chirping again?

(A month ago)

"Yeah, I might know a guy knows a guy who could clean up your record. Won't hold if you do something dumb like going back to ya old biz, that's just common sense. Starting again somewhere else, maaaybe. But it'll cost ya. How much ya got?"

"That all? Get outta here!"

Tomas stepped out of the cab, dressed to blend in with the neighborhood. He leaned against a wall for a minute and his eyes rolled back as he checked the perimeter of the block astrally. "The Fallen Star Club. The name kind of fits me. For now." He muttered.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

"'Tonight'? Really, just 'tonight'? Sure, I'll dump a whole evening rubbing shoulders with a third of the city just because you can't be bothered to name a time." James Mochre looked miffed. Anticipating his half-formed thought, his agentsoft Brunette put a message onto his right contact lens to inform him that she could only trace the message two nodes back. So this Gareth Hopper chummer must have a decent hacker -- not someone to annoy unnecessarily. Maybe Madame Barghest had sent him a job sight-unseen. It wouldn't be the first time.

"Brunette, ask B what she knows about Hopper. Even if this didn't come through her, she may know the score. Ask if she knows about the meet tonight -- what TIME would be nice. If she doesn't know Hopper, tell her she can expect my usual dummy report 'tonight'. Ugh. And keep an eye on weather and the traffic between here and this Fallen Star joint. I'll drive early if the metahuman soup out there is starting to curdle."

No response from the agent -- perfect, nice and quiet. It may be more entertaining to train a person how to keep their mouth shut, but programs gave better results. Jim's awareness flicked to his mental timefeed, and he got ready for his first client of the day.

Spoiler
    Show
    The "dummy report" is info that the character can gather on an unknown person for Madame Barghest's benefit. Jim has electronically-recordable vision and hearing as well as a couple handheld sensors that can read people in various ways.

Some time later, Brunette flashed a notification to Jim that it would be a good time to prep and leave. With relief he left the metaphorically hip-deep pile of waiting messages, mostly from SASCOA members. He messaged Arges to get in the Shin-Hyung, put printless sheaths on his hands, tossed some specialized equipment into a disposable carrybag, and finally strode to the car himself. He drove underground to the burbclave's controlled exit point -- no paparazzi within 300m, guaranteed! -- and merged into sluggish traffic in the filthy rain. Brunette gave him directions to an ancient parking garage he had used before, not too far from the Fallen Star.

In the echoing garage, he walked to a utility closet, 'bot wheeling along behind. After a radar scan told him there was nobody else nearby, he messaged Arges to pick the lock on the closet door. A few whirs and clicks later, James Mochtre went inside and the bot let itself back into the car. Three minutes later, an aged Caucasian man with a skin condition and a slick suit emerged from the utility closet, bearing a different commlink ID. He shuffled in the direction of the east elevator, heading for the Fallen Star Club.

Spoiler
    Show
    Arges is the name of my utility-bot, based on a Cyclops bike.

Changed my clothes/face/commID to get rid of the Fame. No social bonuses for me, but no nearly-automatic recognition either.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2014-02-11 at 06:37 PM.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

ClericGirl

Fluff woke with an uncomfortable notion, she jumped out of bed letting out a yip.
    Transformed in the night again.

The bed a was a mess thick with white hair and a few rips in the linen.
    Hope I never have to explain why it ends up like this.

She transformed back into her human form and climbed into the shower, as usual putting some retro-rock radio station on as she had her morning shower.
    If there was one part of modern life she enjoyed over her previous life it was warm water on tap.

Drying off and putting her usual fatigues on she noticed a message on her collar; which was rare since only three people had her address.
    Perturbed that the message was from someone who clearly didn't have it or atleast she hadn't given it to them she presumed it must be a contact of Sammlerin's and decided it would be a good idea to attend.

She headed downstairs to reception; guilt written on her face.
    An elderly, for a troll anyway, woman greeted her with a warm smile.
    Erm... Maggie?
    Destroyed ur bed again luv?
    Ye... Im sorry
    S'no worry it will be fixed by tonight hon.

She had only been staying in the motel a week or so but the troll land lady seemed to treat her very well, it may be because she genuinely liked Fluff or perhaps because Fluff was paying High prices for Medium living... Most likely it was a mix of the two.

Do you know where the Fallen Star is?
    Theres a Fallen Star Club if thats what you are lookin for?
    Fluff nodded with a smile.
    Ill have a route sorted out for you by lunch if thats o'right? Will you be having the special again? Franky has picked you up another nice cut!
    Yes, thank you very much.

Fluff spent the next hour or so before lunch reading and watching the news, she did this most days.
    After she headed down to lunch; the first thing she had made special request of was a nice bit of meat for her meals and Maggie had agreed at a small increase in rent. Since then she had made a good relationship with the cook at the motel, Franky, another troll.

After lunch she decided to do some more sight seeking; the city was so huge and she wanted to know every inch of it encase she ran into anymore trouble on runs.
    She stayed out till the light faded and eventually made her way to the Club.
    Last edited by Jyssika; 2014-02-11 at 07:26 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Saint Dom

Halfway to the club, your comm buzzes a new message from Madame B. It's simple, just a recorded voice with text.

"Hello, dear. Yes, Gareth asked me if I knew any runners looking to make a name for themselves and I passed him your number. He's an old-school runner, lost half his face in a job gone bad and retired. Opened a club from what I hear. He got into the fixing game a few years back, and everything I hear says he's reliable. So you can trust him as much as you can trust any runner. Sadly, I don't know what the job was, but I'm sure you'll do fine. Good luck."

On the way to the Fallen Star...

Directions to the Fallen Star lead deep into downtown, where the skyscrapers crown in close and the sky fades into a neon blur. The rain has started by the time the first of you arrives, sending twinkling motes of color down onto the hunched collars and plastic umbrellas of the people walking the street. Eventually, you find yourself at an alley between a towering apartment complex and a Shiawase office building, where a red neon sign of a shooting star flickers on one concrete wall. In the real world, it is a meager advertisement, but those in AR see a showering curtain of shooting stars draping the alley wall, the arc of each star leading deeper within.

The alley itself is an equally good clue as to the secret within - conspicuously clear of trash or debris, the concrete is scuffed from the passage of numerous metahuman feet. Further inside, the path of stars hangs a left, and you are standing before a staircase leading into the basement of the apartment complex. It would be innocuous, if the stairs were not covered in red carpeting, with a similarly red awning protecting them from the rain.

Down the stairs, the noise of the metroplex fades, and an entirely new atmosphere takes over. Beyond the sight of prying eyes, a set of mahogany double doors waits beneath a warm light, brass handles polished to a mirror sheen. As you approach, a security camera above the doors whirrs up to observe you, before a slight click signals the release of the door lock. They are promptly opened by an imposing orc in a clean grey suit, his scarred face at odds with the quality and care apparent in his clothes.

"Welcome to the Fallen Star."

Inside, it is like something from a pre-Crash holovid, a hardwood dance floor in front of a raised stage, surrounded by a red-carpeted dining room. Red leather booths line the walls, set into mahogany frames, and above you shine yellow fluorescent lamps almost good enough to pass for candlelight. Opposite the stage is a sprawling bar, where an elf woman in a scandalous evening gown is polishing a whiskey tumbler. Seeing you, she gives a playful smile and motions towards a booth in the corner, just at the edge of the light.

"You're here to meet Gareth? He won't be in until later. Take a seat and have a drink on the house."

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

The rain starts to come down. Karl shrugs his shoulders against the falling liquid, keeping it out of his cyberwear.

Servos whir as he rolls his shoulder up, and people instinctively back away from him. Karl smiles. His face is one the few outer fleshy parts he has left. And truth be told, he likes it that way. Gives his looks of disdain a bit more cold reality.

Erika, tune in some Samurai for me would you?

Of course. Radio Underground is broadcasting now. Tuning in.

Seconds later, a rhythm, hard and fast, beats itself out in Karl's skull. The sound goes straight to his brain, brings his cyberware to life. All of him seems better connected. Images get clearer as Johnny Silverhand belts out one of his hits just for him, right there in his skull. If it wouldn't make him sick, Karl might have tried to afford the Samurai simvid, Live in Night City.

But for now, just hearing the tune is enough to get Karl ready for whatever happens in this bar.

Have you ever seen the sunlight
    Screaming fast and mean and low?
    Get yourself illuminated
    Get yourself that cyber glow.

Made of steel and hard emotion
    Give my love and face the day.
    In your face and here to party.
    Never gonna fade away.

Karl reaches the bar as the station launches into another hard fast song, this one from Vitaly Chernobyl, but he quickly shuts his radio down as he approaches the place. Shooting stars guide him down into the place, down past the Ork outside, and into something from an old Beaver* flick.

Hearing the elf tell him where to wait, he asks for the tallest beer on tap, and goes to sit in the booth, casually throwing his coat over the back of the booth revealing some of the extent of his cyberware.

His entire right arm is polished chrome. from his hands all the way up to wear the arm disappears under his t-shirt. His hand lets out a soft whir as he takes his drink when it arrives. Taking a pull from the drink, he then sits back and waits for this Gareth to arrive.

Spoiler
    Show
    *Beaver: A reference to the old show, Leave it to Beaver. A common slang term for the stuff from that time period. Can also be used as a Derogatory for people living in Corp protected suburban style cities. They are small, quiet, idyllic, and a sign you belong to the corps for life.
    Last edited by Lentrax; 2014-02-13 at 07:39 AM.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Madame Barghest View Post
    "So you can trust him as much as you can trust any runner. Sadly, I don't know what the job was, but I'm sure you'll do fine. Good luck."
    "You can trust him as much as you can trust any runner." Runners generally try to accomplish their goals and aren't likely to **** with you if you don't **** with them. Don't know if I'd say 'trust', but that's better than I get from the megas. "I'm sure you'll do fine." I know. An arrogant smirk crosses the altered face of Saint Dominick.

Once inside the Fallen Star, Dominick breathes more deeply, leaves off the affected shuffle and silently goes where the elf directed. Only his long experience with protocol keeps him from pausing when he sees the cyborg in the booth. Remember, Dominick? Runners aren't likely to give you drek if you don't give them drek? He steadies himself with a rarely-needed mental reminder -- I am in control -- while hanging up his dripping coat on a brass hook. After placing a small bag on the floor under the table, he flicks the remaining rain off his plastic-wrapped hand and offers it to the metal man. "I'm Dominick. I do people work."
    Last edited by Dimers; 2014-02-13 at 12:36 PM.

Current games list

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Karl sits at his table. drinking his beer, as a human walks up and offers his hand.

Karl looks up, one eye focusing on the man. Sevos whir and some of the lines hiss as Karl determines his next action. Finally he reaches up, arm glinting in the light above the table. The movement of his arm turns his chest, exposing the hilt of a katana sitting next to him.

Karl. He says taking the hand. I do troubleshooting.

You notice one of his eyes subtly change color as the iris opens and closes, examining you.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

ClericGirl

Fluff looked up at the night sky, it was a bit smoggy but she could barely make out the moon. She had recently seen a film about werewolves, full of inaccuracies in her opinion, they always seemed to howl at the moon for no reason.

She looked around seeing if anyone was in the backally with her, coast was clear, she looked up and let out a big howl... It wasn't a wolf howl, it was a human howl but it wasn't about sounding right... she didn't really know what it was about.

Whatever she did it for it made her feel good, a big smile wrapped her face from ear to ear.

The club was another block away and she quickly made her way there the grin only just beginning to fade as she eyed the strange door. Camera twitching and door opening she stepped inside and without even thinking shook her thick damp white hair dry splattering water across the doorman.

Oh erm... sorry!

The elf approached her, doubling back to pick up a bar towel and passing it to Fluff.

Thank you, sorry again.

Fluff still hadn't gotten used to this manners thing and felt the human world involved too much self restrain and apologizing but she also wanted to fit in.

Heading over to the booth she took a seat with the two men.
    Her mouth hangs wide in shock at the machine man and she stares, she clearly hasn't seen anyone like him before.

Hello... Im Flu-ionu Louf.. erm... Fluff.
    Last edited by Jyssika; 2014-02-13 at 01:10 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

As Karl speaks, his Germanic accent really begins to come throughRelax. Fear ist appropriate ven meeting with a superior lifeform. But do not be alarmed at my upgrades. As long as you do not upset zem, or give me cause, zey vill remain inactive.

Spoiler
    Show
    Uggh. Writing a German accent without making it sound too chessy is hard. Let me know if I go too far.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

13. - Top - End - #13

The virtual meteor shower in the alley verified that Sammlerin had arrived at the Falling Star. She sat down, leaning against the wall of the apartment building, and left her body to astrally reconnoiter the club before entering. Seeing nothing that alarmed her in her quick exploration of the building, she returned to her body and went in physically this time.

Ignoring the well-dressed ork by the door, she approached the bar and took the elven barmaid up on her offer, ordering a neat whiskey. She took the opportunity to examine the indicated booth's occupants more closely.

One had an unusual amount of chrome visible, and his aura showed there was much more not visible to the naked eye. She actually had to shift her perception to focus on the astral to get a good look at it, as it was almost all shadows. The second needed no such focus, and was likely Awakened. The third she already knew, as it was the shapeshifter whose DNA she was studying right before this "Gareth Hopper" contacted her.

Picking up her drink, she approached the booth and sat down, neglecting both her wet jacket and any outstretched hands.

"Greetings, gentlemen, Fluff."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

ClericGirl

Fear... no erm, Fluff smiles a cheeky smile.
    You just look so... uncomfortable.

Fluff feels a bit awkward and doesn't want to be insulting to the shiny man.

So, you are from superior... is that near by?

Luckily the the arrival of Sammerlin interrupts before Karl gets time to answer her naive question.

Sam Erm... Sammerlin, hello!

15. - Top - End - #15

Sammerlin smiled faintly at Fluff's obvious anxiety.

"Care to introduce me to your new 'friends'?" she asked, turning her attention to the other two. She'd spent enough time around humans to know that introductions would need to be dealt with. Before Fluff could stammer out a response, they each gave the perfunctory responses indicating their euphemized specialties withing a shadowrunning team.

"I investigate, among other things," she replied rather cryptically, not prepared to divulge too much about herself yet. Since Karl wore his cyberware so flamboyantly, she figured he'd volunteer the extent of his capabilities if asked. She wasn't so sure about Dominick, so she split her attention between conversation and attempting to assense his aura, curious to accurately determine whether or not he is indeed Awakened and how exactly he goes about manipulating mana. Oddly enough, she thought she saw evidence he was actively doing so, but she could not see indications of any spells in the vicinity.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Comfort is for those who can afford it. Ze rest of us must make do vith vat ve haff.

After Sammerlin sits down, Karl continues.

Und I am German, which is superior to begin vit. But it is novere I vould call nearby.
    Last edited by Lentrax; 2014-02-13 at 05:01 PM.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Dominick appears self-assured, aware and at ease. His voice is thick and deep, and his snappy tailored suit marks him as a man who keeps up with trends. He smiles slightly at the interplay between Karl and Fluff, but doesn't show a lot of emotion otherwise.

As he goes through the standard social niceties, Dominick uses phrases and motions that seem to be unfamiliar to Sammlerin and Fluff and irrelevant to Karl. To draw out some conversation and have a better chance at identifying the right cultural etiquette, Dominick asks, "Have any of you met tonight's host?" As the group talk drink and Dominick fiddles with some little welded electronic toy, probably something communicating with his eyewear (or eyeware) to judge from his eye movements.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using the ultrawideband sensor in its millimeter-wave capacity to scan for cyberware and hidden objects.

"Sammlerin, Fluff -- I see you're both Awakened?" Dominick's out-of-the-blue assessment is surprising, as he had given was no sign he was assensing their magical power.

Spoiler
    Show
    Which is because he didn't. Just an assumption about shadowrunners who don't have lots of cyberware.

Current games list

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

ClericGirl

Comfort is good, I have a nice comfy room at Ms Maggies B&B.

In a strange blurted fashion and in an attempt keep up with the rest of the group Fluff proclaims her skillset.

I can drive! I mean... Well, its what im best at. And tracking.

Fluff looks at Sammlerin, then back to Dominick, confusions on her face.

Should I be asleep?

To those at the table it is clear Fluff is not used to large social events.
    She seems to be getting a bit confused when is her turn to talk and often confuses words with more than one meaning. She doesn't seem un-intelligent just a little bit socially impaired.

19. - Top - End - #19

"Sie sind Deutscher?" Sammlerin said to Karl, upon hearing his statement of German supremacy. She was raised speaking English, mostly, but she had a somewhat decent command of German. Humans seemed to appreciate those similar to them, so it may be of use to her to let Karl believe that was the case. The dull small talk until Dominick startled her.

"Sammlerin, Fluff—I see you're both Awakened?"

She hadn't noticed a shift of his aura to a more concrete astral form, so how would he know that? And even more, he had assensed her and asked whether she and Fluff were Awakened, not why there was a dracoform and a wolf that looked like humans sitting in from of him.

"Should I be asleep?" Fluff asked.

"No, Fluff, he means...how you're different than the rest of your family," Sammlerin clarified, figuring that was the easiest way to explain the concept. Figuring there was no point in hiding it any longer, as she had no idea that Dominick had determined this through mundane means, she did attempt to at least conceal she was a true drake and not a common one.

"Yes, Dominick. I am a drake and a mage. Fluff is a shapeshifter. You must be Awakened yourself, then. What is your magical talent? I have yet to figure that out."
    Last edited by Arilus; 2014-02-13 at 08:13 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arilus View Post
    "Yes, Dominick. I am a drake and a mage. Fluff is a shapeshifter."
    As Sammlerin speaks, Dominicks eyes open wider and wider, and he looks a bit flabbergasted. "I had no idea. I assumed you were mages. A drake? And a lycanthrope? That's heavy information." He shakes his head. "Clearly I'm going to have to start smelling the people I meet, if I keep having company this special."

Quote Originally Posted by Arilus View Post
    "You must be Awakened yourself, then. What is your magical talent? I have yet to figure that out."
    The thin human's voice regains its levelness. "Mm. This is not my face. Not my voice. I change shape as well -- just much less than either of you." He holds his forehead and cheeks out of shape with his fingers, then spouts off a quote from a current ad blitz, sounding and looking notably like the youthful, perky pitchman. "What do you want? NuYou."

When he lets go of his face, Dominick looks much older again. He gets the distant look of a person interacting with a separate world and is silent for a moment. Brunette, see if my olfactory wand recognizes shapeshifters and drakes. If not, fetch an update -- re-spoof first, and don't take anything that would ping my location on a confirmed match. We don't need to be tracked.

Current games list

21. - Top - End - #21

"Impressive, Dominick," Sammlerin responded after he demonstrated his abilities, though she felt a bit envious. He was channeling mana through his body, not through sorcery, which was not something she could do. She made a mental note to tell Father about these abilities. He is always interested in any novel magical techniques.

But then it dawned on her that she'd volunteered information she didn't have to yet. He was surprised at the revelation.

"But not nearly as impressive as determining Fluff's and mine Awakened status. A simple glance at Fluff on the astral tells you she is not human. Which means you did it through mundane means...how did you do it?"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

"A guess. My sensor tells me either you have no cyberware or it's remarkably well-integrated -- and I know the sensor is working, since I can see the inorganics on Karl and myself. Unless delta-grade went on sale recently, that's not the likely answer. So you're not--" Dominick glances at Karl's arm, then meets his eye for a moment. "--Upgraded. But without magic or improvements, who could have the kind of special influence that would earn them an invitation to this sort of party? It's a dangerous world. So since you're not metal, you're probably magic. More circumstantially, the fact that you two knew each other strengthens the idea that you're both mages rather than both highly-skilled mundanes."

Dominick gestures freely as he speaks, his hands slightly reflective in the dim light of the corner booth. His face doesn't share that quality.

Current games list

23. - Top - End - #23

"Very clever, Dominick," Sammerlin said, smiling. "I still have much to learn about the shadows it seems."

Sammlerin's opinion of Dominick rose quite a bit at this explanation. Utilizing technology and probabilities to determine the truth about something was something she immensely respected. She'd have to keep a close eye on this one, who knows what logical solutions he'd come up with that she could reverse engineer for herself. She still had much difficulty understanding human culture and norms, a weakness this man did not seem to share. Hell, he'd even tricked her, and she isn't even human! She'd have to study him, indeed.

She took another sip of her drink. She was starting to get excited.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

ClericGirl

Fluff catches on slowly whilst others talk;
    Oh... you are superior because you are German!
    Then why replace all your German meat with metal...

Oh I can smell good too, maybe I can smell your company for you!
    She quietens again, not wanting to interrupt their more eloquent and flowing conversation with her wild interjections.

Then looking to Dominick when they are done
    And why are people not made of metal not as good?

She scratches her nose with the back of her hand in a very animal like fashion, not yet used to the idea of using fingernails for scratching.
    I mean... I don't really use my other form for work unless something goes wrong and I need to run away. And my... childhood... only taught me how to hunt and survive in the wild and I don't really use that for work either.
    She looks around the group
    I hope I don't let you all down because I am mundane.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Karl looks at the girl asking such interesting questions.

You haff heard of ze BMW, ja? Ze Volksvagen? Zey are made of German steel. Ve improve upon the mundane und make it better for ze vorld. Und just like zat, I make myself better as vell. Und vit each piece of steel I add, I bring myself zat much closer to becoming ze better soldier.

He then looks over at Sammerlin.

Um für meine fehler büßen.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

As he entered Tomas murmured a spell into a chunky ring on his left hand. Moments later he walks with a more confident stride and a grin on his face. "Better than life? They don't know what life is."
    Spoiler
    Show
    A low force Increase Charisma. I considered taking an addiction to the spell when making the character but I already had 35 points of disadvantages ...

"Beer would be good, thanks" he says to the hostess, as he tosses his fedora on to the counter.

"Saint! You're looking good. Anything I should know before I settle down for a drink?" Without pausing he drops into a seat anyway. "Polish, magician without peer. Sure, that's more to do with my peers in the tradition living far far away, but I like the line."

Polish is tall as dwarfs go, with a neatly trimmed moustache and goatee on his Hispanic face, and just now he's got a confident smile as he waits to see what people say to him.
    Last edited by avr; 2014-02-14 at 08:07 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by avr View Post
    "Saint! You're looking good."
    "Naturally." Dominick seems cheerfully arrogant. After Polish finishes his self-introduction, Dominick adds, "Polish, these are Karl -- troubleshooter ... Fluff, who's in mobility services ... Sammlerin, who you might call a peer. Ladies and gent, this is 'Polish', an expert in appearance alteration and bodily healing. ¿Polish, has visto a Aimee recientemente? ¿Cómo está?"

He then turns to speak to Fluff more quietly, trusting her obviously keen ears to pick out his words from the buzz of conversation and music in the club. "The metal man is superior in the same way a rotorcraft is superior to a horse. They have the same functions -- for people -- such as mobility and transforming fuel into work. The rotorcraft does such things on a much greater scale, and those strengths are more important -- again, to people -- than the fewer and more overcomeable weaknesses. Who cares that a helicopter can't graze, when it can go several kilometers each minute? Karl and I have gained a lot from the technology in our bodies, with relatively little drawback."

Dominick looks at the young woman intently before continuing. "Don't worry aloud about letting people down. If you were raised in a pack, you should know that you have to be more aggressive if you don't want to be bullied. The key is that acting more bold helps you feel more bold as well. Show no fear, and you'll soon have all the rights of the alpha. I'm a social instructor -- I know."
    Last edited by Dimers; 2014-02-14 at 12:19 PM.

Current games list

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

ClericGirl

Fluff looks confused for a second, like a child being explained to why vegetables are better for them than ice cream.

But fuel doesn't grow on trees... Leaves do.
    And a horse can be eaten when you are hungry...

She licks her lips visibly.

Fluff doesn't really understand much Dominick says, he uses too many obscure words she has yet come to come by.

Yes I was raised in a pack, my family were strong and brave and I was clever and quiet. How did you know?

She looked even more confused at this; a moment ago she believed no one could tell she was a wolf if she hid it well and now people seemed to know her life story.
    Last edited by Jyssika; 2014-02-14 at 01:04 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

As another prospective runner entered the club, Sammlerin habitually began examining his aura as well as the astral form that suddenly appeared around it. He was Awakened, just like he said, and had clearly just cast a weak health spell of some sort on himself. Before posing any questions to the newcomer, she could see Fluff struggling to keep up again.

"Think of the metal in Karl like the metal of your Ares Citymaster, Fluff. Your vehicle can do things that you cannot do on your own. What he has done is put that into his own body, letting him do things he would not be able to do otherwise. If you look carefully at him, you can see he looks far less vibrant and colorful than most people; that's because of the metal inside of him."

Seeing that the analogy seemed to be more salient to the shapeshifter, Sammlerin turned her attention to the dwarf. She was always on the lookout for new traditions to incorporate into her own, and he had implied that his was uncommon.

"And what tradition might that be, Polish?"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

ClericGirl

Fluff looks at Dominick and Sammlerin, then to Karl with a apologetic smile.
    She felt awkward they they kept trying to explain about him asthough he wasn't even there.

Please stop trying to explain over and over, I understand.
    I am simply saying it is perhaps not the best idea to call it perfect.

A horse can swim a river, my car cant.
    A horse can fuel its self, my car cant.
    A horse can have babies, my car cant.

She stops; looking at Karl and feeling really bad.

Hopefully Karl has the best of both a living thing and a computer, not just destroyed all his good qualities in his journey to become different.

She stands up; wiggles gracefully and quickly past people towards the bar growing tired of company once again. It was hard enough she struggled to express herself but even harder when people didn't try to understand and instead just treat her like a child.

It was always like this with new people; and Sammlerin was trying to do her best to look after her but to some extents it just made it worse.

At the bar she orders a glass of milk, the elf gives her a strange look but eventually returns with one from somewhere... She stands for a while drinking and trying to draw out her absence for as long as possible, she didn't really want to go back to more arguments.

In her head she could think so vividly but she had spent 18 years of her life without language; she had lived longer than any of her wolf pack as a wolf, seeing the world as a wolf, knowing; objects, time, creatures, smells, things people didn't even have words for all as a wolf.
    All communication was based on empathy and gesture, body language and eye contact and it was so strange to be speaking words.

She stopped herself, she was starting to want to run but she couldn't.
    In the wild she outlived her whole family and watched them all grow old and die, she needed to be among her own kind if she wanted a pack.
    Last edited by Jyssika; 2014-02-15 at 01:15 AM.