New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default First Worldbuild for Campaign, PEACH

Heya all, just finished my first worldbuild for the campaign, here is the information I'm giving my players. Just wondering if people had comments, questions, ways to improve in the future? (Also a map.)

JUST TO MAKE CLEAR - This isn't -all- I've got for it, I've got internal ideas as well written down for me, but this is player information. So if there's Lore-based stuff you think people need, but I haven't given, lemme know!

The Lands of Shal (Stuff everyone would know)

Bit of History

500 years ago, most of the land was under the Shal’Malks, the ‘Shadow Empire’. Ruled by Fetchlings from Shal’khar (The island in the Southwest of the map) it covered all of the southlands save for the Frostwall itself, and the northlands save for the Elven lands of Arbor and Xion. Then a revolution started in the west, in a city the Fetchlings called Zynpang, and others ‘Sunrise’. A wave of Humans and Halflings formed an army and managed to liberate the southlands, eventually helped by the Dwarves of the Frostwall, in the first and only time they have ever engaged in the politics of the land. Just as they were coming to the eastern coast, the majority of the Fetchlings died, their bodies simply crumpling into dust, and so the empire fell.

Whenua o te Ora

(Quick Facts – CG, Halflings, Humans, mostly peaceful and farming, Monarchy)

Whenua o te Ora, ‘The Lands of Life”, was the first place to rebel against the Shal’Malks, and was founded by those revolutionaries who wished to revel in their freedom and build a nation where freedom and compassion were first and foremost. It is mostly populated by Humans and Halflings, and has no army. However, all citizens are trained to fight as a militia that can be drawn up should anyone try and crush freedom. This has resulted in a very weak nobility, since villages mostly run their own affairs and refuse to pay tribute to their ‘nobles’, although as descendents of revolutionary heroes, they often make gifts enough to see them in comfort. The Monarch, however, is greatly loved, and sits on the Broken Throne, a reminder of triumphing over power. Their job is to safeguard the freedom of the realm, meaning their focus is largely restricted to external matters.

They have a good relationship with Freehold, the city-state of Limani (whom they gifted land to) and Al’Car. In fact they are the biggest contributer of fighters to the Frostwall outside of Al’Car itself, since anyone who find themselves too enamored of their militia training have little elsewhere to go to find battle and war.
    They have a tense relationship with Whenua o te Mărama, despite their shared origins, and while nominally aligned, the disagreement over slavery means that the relationship is very tense.
    They are ‘officially’ at war with Teneb, although little actual conflict has come to pass, given their distance and separation.

Whenua o te Mărama

(LG, Humans, Halflings, Aasimar, warlike and slaveowning, military dictatorship)

Founded by the part of the revolution who wanted to find and root out every last trace of the Fetchlings, Whenua o te Mărama (Land of Light) is a militaristic state dedicated to crushing all evil and forming a good, orderly society. It is populated mostly by Humans, although some Halflings remain, and a very small enclave of Aasimar in the Capital city of Mara. It has a large, powerful army, headed by Paladins trained in the use of a curious polearm similar to a fauchard, using them to first disarm and then strike down enemies. The ruler is the head of the Paladins, who sits on the Starstone Throne, a crystalline thing made to capture the light of the sun and stars. (It is a running joke in many other nations that this is actually a design flaw, since on most days the thing is so bright they can’t use the throne room without being blinded)

Slavery exists in the land, as punishment for crimes, or as consequence of insolvency. The idea is that some creatures are not immediately able to be good, and therefore have to be controlled. There are many laws around the treatment of slaves, however, and many of them can reach high position in the government or military.

The major focus of the Land of Light in current days is the war with Teneb, and the river between the nations is a constant battle line.
    It has good relations with Al’Car, as good as can be expected while Al’Car refuses any involvement or war beyond the Frostwall.
    It has a very tense relationship with Freehold, for obvious reasons – Freehold often acts as a sanctuary for escaped slaves, as does Ora, but Freehold actively seeks to take them.

Mătakitaki

Mătakitaki is an offshoot of Whenua o te Mărama, focused on a watchful vigil over Shal’khar, and dealing with threats of monsters and creatures both from that isle and from the Shadow plane, since the border is weak in the southwest. It is ruled by council, and while militaristic, is actually quite boring.

Al’Car

Al’car is the Dwarvish nation centered on the Frostwall, and on the neverending battle against the Frost Giants. They take little heed of any of the politics of the land, but often send emissaries into villages and cities to bring volunteers for the war. It is said they have a special magic they use to fight the Giants, but few people know the details. Much of the internal affairs of Al’Car are unknown, even in their rulership. The Lands of Al’Car stretch to all land within sight of the Frostwall on the day the Shal’Malks fell.

Freehold

Freehold is a mercantile state based on the idea that only life and liberty are important, and as such, has no law save against murder and slavery. The only people with real wealth therefore are those with skills in making things. Someone who makes wealth only from others like landowners soon find that wealth stolen. Even so, the system seems to work, as few go truly hungry. It is a centre of commerce, and most of the world’s trade moves through Freehold, hence it’s security – were any nation to invade, then they would loose vast amounts of wealth and trade. A slim majority of Halflings populates, but the rest of the population is made from civilized, but outcast races, Catfolk, Kobolds, Tengu.

Teneb

After the fall of the Shal’Malks, the north became lawless and anarchic, save for the Elven lands. Differing tribes warred against each other, and the grand cities and fortresses of the Shal’malks, including the Jewel of the Fetchling’s crown, the city-fortress of Sha, were overrun by the shadow-realm guardians, claiming the lives of many ‘adventurers’ from the southern lands.
    Until, about twenty years ago, Marwoleath entered Sha, defeating or destroying the creatures within, and taking a seat on the Smokeglass Throne. From there, he has been building a new empire, Teneb, bringing under his thumb the most powerful, the most twisted, and the most ambitious sentients, rapidly expanding its borders through most of the weak northern lands. While it is undoubtedly an absolute autocracy, and none dare (so far as we know) to challenge Marwoleath from within, many individual areas of Teneb come under the rule of specific groups. For example, the borderlands to the south, where the war with Whenua o te Marama continues unabated, the Antipaladin Corps has the law. In the northern, mountainous regions, the goblinoids have been given a good amount of land to rule over human and Halfling slaves. The races of Teneb are truly cosmopolitan, as long as you are strong, and can prove it with force, it doesn’t matter what your race is.

Teneb is officially at war with both te Marama and te Ora, although most of the fighting is focused on the border with te Marama. Freehold is left alone for the most part.

Xion

Xion is one of the Elven Homelands, and a nation ruled strictly by law and magic. The Tower of Mages rules, and personal wealth is dictated by position within the academy. If one gains a promotion, one has to leave what farms and property they own and take up the property that goes with the position. They are at a higher technological level than most.
    They maintain neutrality with all other nations.

Arbor

Arbor is an elvish realm, and a source of food for most of the other nations. The elves use magic here to make the land incredibly, ridiculously abundant, to the point where on the rivers bordering the land, you can dip your fishing line on one bank and catch enough to feed a family within minutes, and on the other, you will catch nothing. Because this would vanish should the elves be attacked, Arbor is safe in its own neutrality – nobody is going to burn their food source down.
    Talon

Settled by pirates, Talon, and the isles of Talon to the north, are a safe haven for the pirates and ner’do’wells of the world. Tentatively protected by Teneb for masses of gold in tribute, Talon is a very villainous and scummy hive of a wretched nature.

GODS

‘Good’ Gods

Dynst, God of Light and Slavery (Good(Archon), Law(Slavery), Sun(Light))
    Dynst is the Lord of Hierarchy, and the God of Slavery in Wheunua o te Marama. His philosophy can be summed up as “Everything has its place in the world, as a result of its nature, its temperaments. When a hound is a danger, we still need its ferality for protection, so we chain it before our house. Likewise, those who cannot obey the law must become as chained beasts. Cared for, but not permitted to run free.”
    His favored weapon is the boomerang (which, DM fiat, does bloody return)
    His sigil is a segmented pyramid with a star at the top.

Z’arn, God of Righteous Fury (Good(No Sub), Strength(Resolve),Charm(Love))
    Z’arn is the Ruddy Faced, warlike god of passion and fury at all evil. While primarily worshiped by the army of Whenua o te Ora, a small following exists in most of the southern nations, although the inching-towards-chaotic nature of Him means He is frowned upon in te Marama. His philosophy can be summed up as “Let me at the blasted ugly gits! Death to Evil!”
    His favored weapon is simple fists, and has no sigil

Q’Nyg (Kuh-nig) Goddess of Nobility and War (Good(Friendship), Nobility(Leadership),
    Repose(Ancestors))
    Q’nyg is the Goddess of the Nobility, both the leadership in Te Marama, the Monarchy in te Ora, and the Clan Chiefs in Al’Car. “Let us with greater birth and revered ancestors not use that blessing for our own gain, let us use it to benefit others, to raise them to be akin to us. Nobility in deeds can become Nobility in fact, and Ignobility in deeds surely deserves Ignobility in fact”
    Her favored weapon is the Wahaika
    Her Sigil is a gold ring on blue background

Ywis’ir (Yuh-wiss-ir) God of Justice (Pallies main god) (Good(Archon),
    War(Tactics), Protection(Defense))
    Ywis’ir is the God of Justice, and the Paladin of te Marama’s god. His philosophy – “Let evil tremble, or let them charge bravely. Let darkness swirl, or come at us as a tidal wave. Let death sneak to us at night, or seek our hearts in battle. We stand, we fight, and we defeat our enemies with the knowledge we are right, and the conviction to stand for it.”
    Favored weapon – Ranseur
    Sigil – Ranseur before a sun

Pat’r (Patter) Goddess of Freedom (Good(Azata), Freedom(Liberation),
    Chaos(Revelry))
    The only Goddess of Chaos worshipped in the Southern lands, Pat’r is worshipped almost universally in te Ora and Freehold. “Let no lord or sword bind you to slavery again, for it is the will of all creatures to move freely. Lead by example, not by force, argue with passion, not with authority.”
    Favored weapon – Halfling Sling Staff
    Sigil – A silhouette, arms upraised on a green field

“Neutral Gods”

The Elves do not worship gods, per se, but rather Law itself (In the case of Xion) or the land they work on (Arbor). As such, divine spellcasters from Xion MUST take Law(Inevitable) as one domain, and can choose Magic, Knowledge or Void(Stars). Divine Spellcasters from Arbor MUST choose Animal as one domain (subs allowed), and Plant or Weather as their other.

“Evil Gods”

Parr’tur God of Ambition (Evil(Daemon), Any Domain that can be argued to
    Benefit the cleric/antipaladin, and ONLY the cleric/antipaladin (yes, you can swear not to use particular spells.))
    Parr’tur is the Lord of those who seek to strengthen themselves and only themselves. He is entirely the ‘Might makes Right’ God, and looks well only on those who are self-reliant, and don’t let others hold them back. “Power isn’t something you just put on and take off like a jacket. It’s something you ARE. If you can loose it by loosing two will saves, you never had it to begin with. You know what DOES equal power? Power. Power equals Power. The type of power? Doesn’t matter that much”
    Favoured Weapon – Lucerne Hammer
    Sigil – Boot, crushing a face beneath it.

Mwit’syn (Um-whit-sin) Goddess of Torture (Evil(Fear), Destruction(Torture),
    Madness(Insanity))
    Delighting in the torture and cruelty of others, Mwit’syn is a favored deity of Teneb’s inquisitors and Psions, enjoying the slow peeling of a person’s mind until they open all the secrets. “Pain is good. It spurs us on to action. For example, I require your action to be to obey me. I apply pain to your body, you obey me.”
    Favored Weapon – Scorpion Whip
    Sigil – Barbed collar

M’arzt God of the Forced March (Evil(Devil), Travel(Exploration),
    War(Blood))
    M’arzt is the primary god for the Antipaladin Corps, A god of bloody war and discipline. “I don’t know what I’ve been told!/We won’t stop ‘till the body’s cold!/Slice their flesh and spill their blood!/Stamp their face into the mud!”
    Favored weapon – Sabre, Sawtoothed
    Sigil – Sawtoothed Sabre on red field

Shal’tyn Goddess of Shadows (Special Shadow Domains, no you can’t have them… yet )
    No longer worshiped in any land, Shal’tyn was the Goddess of the Fetchling’s empire. Even studying what her worship was like is banned in most places, and even where it isn’t it is rarely touched on.

[[How do I add a picture?]]

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: First Worldbuild for Campaign, PEACH

This should explain what to type to put up a picture on the forums. As for image hosting, I have used tinypic before, but if you already have them up on a different website you can just use that link.

I am enjoying your setting so far, and I look forward to a map so I can better imagine the diplomacy in my head.
    I have returned, and plan on focusing on world-building. Issues are being dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    Thread won! I don't think I have the authority to do that but whatever