Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: DnD 3.5, Level 11 gestaltngoing through an AP, 1 replacement needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    Gold Wyrmling Wyrm of War 8/Monk 1//Bard 9
    Spoiler: Spells
    Show

3rd level bard spells known: Haste, Cure Serious Wounds, Glibbness
    2nd level bard spells known: Cure Moderate wounds, Suggestion, Detect Thoughts, Darkness
    1st level bard spells known: Alarm, Cure light wounds, Feather fall, Expeditious Retreat

Spoiler: Feats
    Show
    WoW Dragon feat 1: Flyby Attack (SRD)
    WoW Dragon feat 2: Entangling Exhalation (Races of the Dragon)
    Level 1 feat: Still Spell(SRD)
    Level 3 feat: Multiattack(SRD)
    Level 6 feat: Improved Multiattack (SRD)
    Level 9 feat: Wingover(SRD)
    Monk: Improved Unarmed Strike
    Monk: Improved Grapple

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Stats: (after Racial and level up bonuses)
    Strength: 22 (16+6)
    Dex: 14 (14+0)
    Con: 16 (11+4+1)
    Int: 14 (10+4)
    Wis: 17 (13+4)
    Cha: 18 (13+4+1)

8d12 HD and 1d8, plus 27
    Spoiler: Skills
    Show

10 skill points per level.
    Class skills:
    Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Speak Language (None), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis) Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha),

Trained skills: (max ranks)
    Concentration, Appraise, Escapse Artist, Tumble, Sence Motive, Spellcraft, Swim, Use magic device, Spot, Heal

Full attack: Bite, Claw, Claw, Wing, Wing, Unarmed Strike, Unarmed Strike, (plus Flurry of blows)
    BAB +8
    Amulet of health+2, Mithral breastplate+1 (package)
    Hewards Handy haversack w/ everlasting rations, endless waterskin,
    Ring of feather falling, Potions [Lesser restoration, Shield of Faith +3, Cure Moderate (2)] (package)
    Amulet of Mighty Fists +2 (24k)
    9k remaining
    One of the "reccomended dragon items" in the handbook is a ring from Savage species that enlarges the wearer. Is that command word or continious? How much does it cost? (Enlarge person being a 1st level spell, a "Custom magic item" with caster level 1 and continous effect is 2k GP)

If it's under 5k, I'll probably go after Gloves of Dexderity +2, to keep the Bad Touch (attacks) away.
    ----------------
    Temeaire is a golden dragon the size of a large wolf or pony, clad in a mithral breastplate and wearing a backpack and potion belt. Inspired by tales of both hoard collection and noble adventurers, Temeaire set out with the naive objective of being a dragon adventurer, building a hoard and saving the world like the stories say. With a few trinkets from his parents collection to get him started, he set off for a life of excitement and adventure among the humanoids.
    Last edited by Rakaydos; 2014-02-21 at 03:06 PM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: DnD 3.5, Level 11 gestaltngoing through an AP, 1 replacement needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tempestfury View Post

Well to be honest. That's half the point of them, to try and level out the Liner Warriors, Quadratic Wizards to some degree.
    But the problem is that they are then unbalanced against the existing non-spellcaster classes. And that is why I turn down 95% of the homebrew base classes.

To be honest, in all of the higher level games I've ran and been in, especially with organic PCS (so levelled from 2-....) I've never seen a difference in power between the spell casters and the melees. The bulk of the killing is still done by melee types and most spell casters end up buffing them for party unity so any power disparity is diluted between the party
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    But the problem is that they are then unbalanced against the existing non-spellcaster classes. And that is why I turn down 95% of the homebrew base classes.

To be honest, in all of the higher level games I've ran and been in, especially with organic PCS (so levelled from 2-....) I've never seen a difference in power between the spell casters and the melees. The bulk of the killing is still done by melee types and most spell casters end up buffing them for party unity so any power disparity is diluted between the party
    That's fine, if the adventure involves killing. But if the adventure is 6 months of court intriege, for instance, the fighter looks at his 2 skill points per level and pulls out a game boy.

Tier isnt about killing things- a build that can 1-shot a dragon is only tier 4. Tier is about versitility, about having more than a hammer to solve your problems with.

4. - Top - End - #154

Actually, most of them are only around Tier 3. T.G Oskar's retools in praticular, is about bringing classes like Paladin and Monk up to par with Crusader and Unarmed Swordmage. So, they aren't unbalanced against excisting non-spellcaster classes.

Of course its not just about power, but versatility.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

...though I've heard that Oskar's fixes tend toward "High tier3," which implies that while they are incapable of true gamebreakers (safe 15 min workdays, WBL breaking) they are generally more powerful than other tier 3 classes within their specialties.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

That's fine, if the adventure involves killing. But if the adventure is 6 months of court intriege, for instance, the fighter looks at his 2 skill points per level and pulls out a game boy.

Tier isnt about killing things- a build that can 1-shot a dragon is only tier 4. Tier is about versitility, about having more than a hammer to solve your problems with.
    In the games I've run (which span some levels 2-19 a few times) I've never noticed that. Probably as I don't really use the social skills as written and just let people RP things out with possibly a few Cha checks thrown in here and there. It suited our style of play.

Though saying that, most of the "fixes" and the homebrew classes I've seen do not really add more out of combat, more just a list of combat related abilities.

I've read and looked at all the TG Oskar fixes, but I'm not a fan. They are all a little over tweaked for me.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

...speaking of which, did you get a chance to approve/deny Wyrm of War from Dragons of Ebberon?

8. - Top - End - #158
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

This is the second of DrK's game I've played in and I don't recall anyone in either party feeling left out or useless. I wouldn't worry about Tiers or try and use a lot of homebrew classes (fixes or not). My dwarf has 8 levels of Fighter, for goodness sake (though Cleric on the other side).

Oh, that reminds me. I've got one Revivify prepared and enough diamonds for two castings. It'd be nice if everyone set aside 1,000gp for their own casting of Revivify if they need it.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"

9. - Top - End - #159
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

On the other hand, in a gestalt game, fighter is actually quite good.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

10. - Top - End - #160
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Right, it works because of the other side of the gestalt. My point is that you don't need a lot of fancy homebrew fixes. Fighter works fine. ::thumbs up::
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    This is the second of DrK's game I've played in and I don't recall anyone in either party feeling left out or useless. I wouldn't worry about Tiers or try and use a lot of homebrew classes (fixes or not). My dwarf has 8 levels of Fighter, for goodness sake (though Cleric on the other side).

Oh, that reminds me. I've got one Revivify prepared and enough diamonds for two castings. It'd be nice if everyone set aside 1,000gp for their own casting of Revivify if they need it.
    I feel useless ... oh wait, that was someone else. Never mind, I'm good!
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

12. - Top - End - #162

Just saying, that the homebrew fixes are there for a reason. They don't apply for all games, and not for everyone. But they aren't they just because person A wanted Class A to be more powerful.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

...speaking of which, did you get a chance to approve/deny Wyrm of War from Dragons of Ebberon?
    Wyrm of War is ok. Yes. Loredrake would have been a straight no

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

Listen my hatchling,for now you shall hear
    Of the Only Seven Slayers a dragon must fear.
    First beware Pride, lest belief in one's might
    Has you discount the foe who braves your sight.
    Never Envy other dragons their wealth, power or home
    For dark plots and plans will bring death to your own.
    Your Wrath shouldnt win, when spears strike your scale
    Anger kills cunning, which you will need to prevail.
    A dragon must rest, but Sloth you should dread
    Else long years of napping let assasins to your bed.
    'Greed is good', or so foolish dragons will say
    Until piles of treasure bring killing thieves where they lay.
    Hungry is your body, and at times you must feed,
    But Gluttony makes fat dragons, who cant fly at need.
    A hot Lust for glory, gems, gold, or mates
    Leeds recklesss young drakes to the blackest of fates.
    So take heed of this wisdom precius hatchling of mine,
    And the long years of dragonhood are sure to be thine.

-from the novel Dragon Champion
    Last edited by Rakaydos; 2014-02-21 at 05:34 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Barbarian in the Playground

Still waiting to hear yea/nay on those feats I asked for.

Also: are RHD split between sides, or just on one side?

Edit: I'd also like to ask for the Travel Devotion and Trickery Devotion feats from Complete Champion.
    Last edited by doko239; 2014-02-22 at 12:30 AM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by doko239 View Post
    Still waiting to hear yea/nay on those feats I asked for.

Also: are RHD split between sides, or just on one side?
    Just 1 side- Humanoid is a racial class, as is True Dragon.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Starbin View Post
    I feel useless ... oh wait, that was someone else. Never mind, I'm good!
    Shut it Mr. Two sided caster.

That said remember: GESTALT, where Monk actually looks tempting, fighter adds significantly to your build, and Incarnum makes everything taste better.
    Casters Vs. Everything - Rilril
    DrK's Gestalt - Grillin
    "FR" Shadowdale - Halevel
    The Reflection of Heroes - Palen

18. - Top - End - #168

Having not yet heard from the DM about those feats, and not wanting to be left scrambling later, I went ahead and finished my sheet assuming that my requests would be approved. Vaethal, the shape-shifting warlock assassin, is ready for review, crunch-wise.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

@DrK - this is the explanation for those two feats doko239 was asking about.
    Eldritch Claws lets a Warlock form their Eldritch Blast into two claw attacks instead of a ranged touch.

Beast Strike lets a creature add claw damage to an unarmed strike.
    @doko239 - I think your question got lost in the philosophical debate of home brew vs overpowered. I always recommend reposting your queries when the DM is getting lots of questions.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbin View Post
    @DrK - this is the explanation for those two feats doko239 was asking about.

@doko239 - I think your question got lost in the philosophical debate of home brew vs overpowered. I always recommend reposting your queries when the DM is getting lots of questions.
    Sorry. I had indeed lost the request in the homebrew discussion. Yes to claws no to beast strike.

21. - Top - End - #171

Sorry. I had indeed lost the request in the homebrew discussion. Yes to claws no to beast strike.
    I'd decided to drop beast strike anyway. How about the Domain feats from Complete Champion? Looking at Travel Devotion and Trickery Devotion.

Edit: More requests: Cloistered Cleric and Knowledge Devotion.
    Last edited by doko239; 2014-02-22 at 03:25 AM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

Can I merge the Amulet of Health from the bundle with the Amulet of Mighty Fists I'm buying for myself?

Also, ring of Enlarge Person for 2000gp... approved?

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

What does knowlege devotion do? It was another reccomended choice, but I dont have that splat.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

I'd decided to drop beast strike anyway. How about the Domain feats from Complete Champion? Looking at Travel Devotion and Trickery Devotion.

I will leave it to your conscience to debate the cheese of a one level dip into cloistered cleric for 3 domains to convert them into 3 devotion feats...

@ Rakaydos:- knowledge devotion gives you bonuses to attack/damage based on the results of a knowledge check, DC15 gives you +1, up to ~ DC30 for +4 or 5 (the numbers may be off, I'm going from memory)

The savage species ring costs 18000gp. A ring of standard Enlarge person will not work on a dragon as its not a humanoid so not an eligible target for the spell.

The items from the bundles cannot be altered/ combined or changed in any way.

25. - Top - End - #175

I will leave it to your conscience to debate the cheese of a one level dip into cloistered cleric for 3 domains to convert them into 3 devotion feats...
    You make a persuasive point

I'm happy to drop Trickery Devotion, it's pretty superfluous really, and the Celerity domain power is pretty decent. I do kinda need Travel and Knowledge Devotion though, and I do intend to put more levels into Cleric after filling out Warshaper if that'll set your mind at ease.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

Amulet of health+2, Mithral breastplate+1 (package)
    Hewards Handy haversack w/ everlasting rations, endless waterskin,
    Ring of feather falling, Potions [Lesser restoration, Shield of Faith +3, Cure Moderate (2)] (package)
    Amulet of Mighty Fists +1 (6k)
    Ring of Growth (18k)
    Eyes of the Eagle (2.5k)
    Gloves of Dexterity +2 (4k)
    Boots of Elvenkind. (2.5k)

Should probably go back and train move silently.

Was so tempted to get Boots of Levitation. Noone expects the Celing Dragon.
    Last edited by Rakaydos; 2014-02-22 at 04:41 AM.

27. - Top - End - #177

Was so tempted to get Boots of Levitation. Noone expects the Celing Dragon.
    Ceiling Dragon is watching you... flee in terror, I guess?

28. - Top - End - #178

Got a background for Gunju... well, a ten-minute background. Is that okay?

Spoiler: Ten Minute Background
    Show
    Step 1: Background/Concept

1. A rough, but kind shifter that slips into a feral bloodlust in battle.

2. Born with an unusually powerful soul, Gunju was able to control and manipulate the energy of the soul. Incarnum. He wasn’t trained in its ways, and had to learn its ins and outs by himself, including its name. Due to his feral nature, his soulmelds reflected animals and nature around him.

3. Gunju is known as a hunter of beasts, to some degree. He doesn’t track them down, but he’s very efficient at killing them. At the same times, he only kills beasts that are threatening/taking lives for one reason or another. Those that leave sentient beings alone are left alone by him.

4. Ironically, what Gunju considered his greatest victory wasn’t a beast, but a plant. A Huge Tendriculos. Infact, Gunju was swallowed by the thing, but managed to kill it from the inside and cut his way out.

5. Although his favourite soulmeld is the Girallon Arms and they give him a strong boost to his ability to grapple. Gunju doesn’t like to grapple/wrestle, seeing it as a means to avoid actual fighting which he fully believes is necessary at times.

Step 2: Goals
    1. To earn a trophy from the strongest beasts of alls: Dragons.

2. To master his rage and abilities as a shifter so there is no difference between his natural state and his fighting state.

Step 3: Secrets
    1. Gunju feels inadequate and weak. Indeed, he feels that despite his skill in combat, he will never be good enough, that those who wield magic could easily subdue him. This is why he prefers fighting beasts.

2. His tales of battle against beasts has inspired quite a few shifters to do the same, through some hunt any beast, and not just those that threaten lives. Gunju does not know this, and if he found out, would personally hunt them down to stop them... one way or another.

Step 4: NPCs:.
    1. A cleric is Balinor is angry at the beast hunters, and seeks to deal retribution to Gunju for the animals deaths, as he was the one that inspired them.

2. Spire, a young shifter that has been inspired by Gunju’s tales. Unlike most however, he doesn’t follow the ways of battle and savagery, but the ways of magic. He isn’t a sorcerer or wizard through, he is a warlock. He has made no pacts to get these powers.

3. Sikara. A young silver dragoness that Gunju saved the life of. Hearing about his tales, she’s curious to learn what drives him, and wants to repay the debt she owes him, and defeat him in combat as well.

Step 5: Memories/mannerisms/quirks
    1. For someone rough and rowdy, Gunju tends to avoid alcohol like a plague.

2. Gunju knows he’s not the smartest bulb, so he doesn’t mind being a follower to a smarter person, as long as they have a good cause.

3. The Mithral Breastplate he wears is a gift from Sikara for saving her life, and through he accepted it, he couldn’t help but shake the feeling that the dragoness wasn’t happy with the gift for one reason or another.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Interest so far...

@Tempest:-
    Barbarian: Are you using the Pathfinder one? The rage in rounds/day? Should be 2/day I think for a level 6. Also no rage powers or DR
    Feats: You seem to have one too many
    Weretouched: Errated alternate form for tiger is Str +2, Con +4
    Languages:?

@ Macros:-
    Any mundane kit or food etc..?

@ Red Moldova
    Starting vestiges but that's all and a language

@ Toliudar
    Where is Imperious command from?

@ Lostbuseeking
    background
    (And its not an issue as its rules legal but a wand chamber on a spiked chain )

@ Medic
    nowt... (apart from mild amusement at him being the 3rd spiked chain wielder. Was there a convention? )

@Infomatic
    Whats the flaw feat? With exalted people in the party I'd recommend against Necromcarnum.
    - What does the "Soulbound +2000gp" mean bythe breastplate. If its a package item they cannot be modified, exchanged or enhanced before the start of play

@ Griff
    You should probably buy some craft tools for self repair
    Last edited by DrK; 2014-02-22 at 08:25 AM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Firbolg in the Playground

I fear I shall officially back out; I've got two full work days ahead of me (beggars can't be choosers when they're working part-time...) and only the skeleton of a backstory (stupid three exams in one week). Best of luck to all!