A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default A holy scurge in a heartless night 3.5

The leafless trees sat still, not a sign of life for miles around, but for the dead that walked the streets. All was as it should be in Cadaver Dale. Cadaver Dale was a small village by the riverside, and perhaps the weakest of the well known necropoli in the area. It was hard to find a good place to stay out of the rain these days, and keep our body fresh as can be, and with all that's required to get into the larger cities these days it was hardly surprising that the place was filled with castoffs and weaklings. Runts and half rotten stiffs, many of which were literally on their last leg. After all, where is a necromancer that can't even animate a corpse to go? A church to repent and be smitten? A true necropolis to be turned away? The savage world to be consumed by a larger walking corpse, or worse yet some small animal that manages to kill you (again) anyways?

Cadaver Dale was one of the last havens for such people,and perhaps because of that it was now in the slowly clenching fist of the so called "Righteous Conquerors", a religious outfit that swore to smite all evil, yet still ended up assaulting a backwater town like this. It just wasn't right.

Many imagine that it's because of the cheery name, but lets face it, considering the long dead founder it's not surprising it'd be an odd one out. After all the man was always asking about worthless things like what liches liche, or of ghoul goulash, and word is that frankly you'd be thankful for the name if you heard the other names he had in mind.

Whatever it may be, and whatever it may not be though, Cadaver Dale is your home, and has been. All of you, born of low talent necromancers have shown great skill at the craft, and have been given prominent roles in defending the community.

Spoiler
    Show

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    D&D 3.5
    2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    Homebrewed world, planer cosmology will be different, but for spells and undead ethereal forms and the like assume as material plane in standard cosmology.
    3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    dunno, lets see how many we get.
    4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    GITP Forums.
    5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    Level 10 (45,000 exp), necropolitan is free if you're so inclined
    6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    Tell ya what. I'm stingy with treasure, so hows about starting with 4XWBL (196,000 gp), That's 4k short of level 15 WBL so save some for future minions, and make it count.
    7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    Everyone is a necromancer. No exceptions. Homebrew will be minimal, but if you see this class feature that you want to add to the class you're using since it doesn't seem strong enough in that level range, or some schnazie new necromancy spells, go for it.

if it feels too cheesy, just ask.
    8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    Minimal brew, again if something really tickles your fancy, ask so long as you aren't asking me for something new every day.
    9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    Roll 7d6b4, no rerolls, no point buy
    No traits/flaws, HP can be rolled or average (choose first)
    10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    Yes, everyone is evil. You twist, deform, strip of all will, mutilate, and despise of the souls and bodies of living creatures on a day to day basis. That said evil isn't just black, just as good isn't just white, so if you wanna be the black of caked on blood, or the black of the endless depths of the well water, it's your call.
    11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    Multiclass all you want. No penalties.
    12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    Die rolls will take place on the forums, players will make die rolls for actions they take, I get to roll public or private.
    13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    Like anyone else I have many different interpretations on things, when in doubt ask. XP shenanigans are bound to fail, time shenanigans that go too far end in trouble, get rich quick schemes can bankrupt you, and I don't allow magically crafted items to be used as material components. That said i don't really have any special rules.
    14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    Background is always a good thing.
    15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    Hack&slash: definitely (lots o' combat)
    Roleplay: Plenty (this is a siege, not a single attack, you get down time to spend as you please in town and it's always good to roleplay combat too.)
    Puzzle Solving: Yup (How do I use my minions to kill them)
    Battlefield tactics when you fight (especially when you command an army) are always a good thing.
    16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    3.5 books, when in doubt ask.

{table=head]Player|Character|Race|Class|Status
    Solan|Semmemon Knell|Wizard (Evoker)/Sorcerer/Ultimate Magus|Necropolitan human|?
    porthuous|Dersloc|gravetouched ghoul human|cleric 6/bone knight 2|?
    Raunchel|Urthiline|Silverbrow Human|Bard|?
    Griff_Goodbeard|Ilixxath Wyrmbone|Necropolitan Kolbold |Sorcerer 6/ Sandshaper 4|?
    Ishcumbeebeeda|Lucian Olum'usta|Human|Dread necromancer|?
    Techwarrior|Torke Sventar&pet|Dragonborn Raptoran Wight|Totemist/Incarnate/Necrocarnate|?
    JanusJones|Lexi di Vyth&pet|kobold|master vampire/dragonfire adept|?
    Starbin|Erik of the Spectral Hand|human|C.Clr/D. Necro/M of Shrouds|?
    [/table]
    Last edited by drack; 2014-03-02 at 10:04 AM.
    That mystical swirling of multicolored leaves as they dance in the air, that fresh fall smell, the perfect weather that makes you feel so very alive. You can almost forget that you're watching dead tissue accumulate as winter claims the world and floods it with the calming scent of death.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: A holy scurge in a heartless night 3.5

Necromancy? Yes. I am here.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Nifty.

I must confess, I do love that I almost always get interest for my games within an hour or so.

Anywho any questions/comments/character ideas?
    That mystical swirling of multicolored leaves as they dance in the air, that fresh fall smell, the perfect weather that makes you feel so very alive. You can almost forget that you're watching dead tissue accumulate as winter claims the world and floods it with the calming scent of death.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

A few ideas rattling around in the old bone-cage, let's see what the dice say:

(7d6b4)[18]
    (7d6b4)[16]
    (7d6b4)[10]
    (7d6b4)[13]
    (7d6b4)[19]
    (7d6b4)[21]

A death knight? Some sort of unholy warrior or gish perhaps? Is ToB okay?
    Last edited by Solan; 2014-02-17 at 07:37 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

7d6b4 only ever says good things.

Hmm, ToB... doesn't sound vary necromancer-ey.
    Last edited by drack; 2014-02-17 at 07:38 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Oh, we're all supposed to be the necromancers, gotcha. I was thinking a deathknight type, evil champion. But! I have a new idea! I'm not necessarily into the crafting side myself, but what about a blaster focusing on Uttercold spells, effectively healing our troops while harming the enemy. Or perhaps a wizard necromancer who focuses on debuffs and draining the life from our enemies. Is incantatrix too much? If I only promise to focus on blasting? Maybe throw a little Fell Animate on there to make things extra interesting ...
    Last edited by Solan; 2014-02-17 at 07:55 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Those ideas all sound like necromancers.

incantrix: Should be fine so long as that one person doesn't fall far behind the party in power. By the way public sheets &undead lists.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Honing in on the Ultimate Magus, moving away from Incantatrix. Two main tactics will be Wall of Fire (Uttercold) which will heal our undead, and Fell Animate Fireballs for new minions. Just need to double check the math. He'll likely be Necropolitan, and will probably be a simple Wizard/Sorcerer, none of those funny UM builds...

Are traits and flaws allowed? How do we determine HP?
    Last edited by Solan; 2014-02-17 at 08:35 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

No traits/flaws, HP can be rolled or average (choose first)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

HP:

(11d12)[54]

11. - Top - End - #11

Urg... I was interested in this, until you restricted it to evil only alighnments.

Sure, go ahead and strip all the fun out of a game like this by forcing everyone to be evil!

As it is, saying everyone has to be a 'necromancer' is a bit vauge... which classes does that restrict you to?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

In which way again does alignment strip the fun? There are plenty of LE philanthropists.

Necromancer is someone with a focus towards elements prevalent in the necromancy school. Primarily undead minions, though draining life and negative energy damage, as mentioned above, are well within those bounds.

So where's the fun stripping come in?

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by drack View Post
    In which way again does alignment strip the fun? There are plenty of LE philanthropists.

Necromancer is someone with a focus towards elements prevalent in the necromancy school. Primarily undead minions, though draining life and negative energy damage, as mentioned above, are well within those bounds.

So where's the fun stripping come in?
    Because your not allowing people to play against the type. I mean hell, the fact that undead and negative energy as a whole is considered evil bothers me, as their just tools to be used by those that wield them. Unscrupulous yes, but not evil.

The fact that your forcing everyone to be evil means you can't have any good or netural characters, you know. Someone who just uses the powers as a means to an end, or someone that has an innate ability of necromantic powers, but is actually use them to do some good, or trying to... that's why it strips half the fun out of the scenario. Playing against the type is partly what such campaigns should be about, but your not letting that happen.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, that's what you mean. Nah, it just happens to be LE when you're willing to jeopardize the good of one side, slowly peeling apart everything they have, and throwing it away (in this case the living), all for the sake of another group. I wasn't kidding about the evil philanthropist. Raising the dead in D&D isn't fluffed akin to healing them a wound or simply tossing their soul back in their body. It messes them up a good bit, and that itself is an act of evil no matter what you're using it for. Now yes you can do good with it. You'd be protecting a whole town of people from a band of crazies, people who can't protect them self. I just happened to decide in this game to equate that to the evil of animate dead. (Forcibly ripping their soul from their desired afterlife, tormenting it beyond recognization until it knows nothing of what it was, and forcing it back into it's body to be slave to your will. Maybe later you give the tormented body a new sentience and let it live as it will, but that deformed soul is still bound there.)

Some games I do allow them to equate, but mechanically I figure you may as well be evil. That means:
    SRD:
    Spoiler
    Show
    " "Good" implies altruism, respect for life, and a concern for the dignity of sentient beings. Good characters make personal sacrifices to help others.

"Evil" implies hurting, oppressing, and killing others. Some evil creatures simply have no compassion for others and kill without qualms if doing so is convenient. Others actively pursue evil, killing for sport or out of duty to some evil deity or master.

"Law" implies honor, trustworthiness, obedience to authority, and reliability. On the downside, lawfulness can include close-mindedness, reactionary adherence to tradition, judgmentalness, and a lack of adaptability. Those who consciously promote lawfulness say that only lawful behavior creates a society in which people can depend on each other and make the right decisions in full confidence that others will act as they should.

"Chaos" implies freedom, adaptability, and flexibility. On the downside, chaos can include recklessness, resentment toward legitimate authority, arbitrary actions, and irresponsibility. Those who promote chaotic behavior say that only unfettered personal freedom allows people to express themselves fully and lets society benefit from the potential that its individuals have within them. "

So, LE: You are a trustworthy and honorable person who hurts and kills people with less respect for life (considering that you conspire with necromancers who twist and derange life)
    NE: You lack compassion (or a moral compass), often hurt/kill/oppress people, or you simply don't care about a certain group (be it everyone but yourself, or some type of people)
    CE: You are somewhat while and unpredictable be it emotionally driven, or otherwise incited, and often end up crossing a line somewhere, killing people, watching as the necromancers do those terrible things, ect.

Truth is I love necromancers and understand a good variety of arguments for a good necromancer, but those same personality types can fit as easily into evil, and these being holy zelots I figured it'd be simpler/have more gruesome realism if their abilities actually worked.

Fair enough?

15. - Top - End - #15

... Nyeh, I can understand your reasoning, even if I don't agree with it.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Well glad that's settled... now as an out of game curiosity, which bits ar we in disagreement on?
    Last edited by drack; 2014-02-17 at 10:38 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

...fine. I'll join too. I really need to stop joining games. xD

I may just go with Dread Necromancer 10. Because I haven't played an actual necromancer (as in, uses the Necromancy school) before. Or maybe Wizard + PrC. Or Cleric. Or I'll find some homebrew class thing.

Questions:
    1. I don't suppose I could have a Slaymate? Either by giving up some WBL, or taking it as a cohort (with some DM-assigned LA) with Undead Leadership or something.
    2. For Animate Dead and similar, does the black onyx have to be a single piece, or can we carry around smaller pieces worth 25 gp each to use as needed?
    3. Can I use Knowstones to get a few more spells known?

Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (7d6b4)[15]
    (7d6b4)[17]
    (7d6b4)[17]
    (7d6b4)[22]
    (7d6b4)[16]
    (7d6b4)[16]
    Last edited by Morcleon; 2014-02-17 at 10:39 PM.
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morcleon View Post
    ...fine. I'll join too. I really need to stop joining games. xD
    you know you can't resist.

I may just go with Dread Necromancer 10. Because I haven't played an actual necromancer (as in, uses the Necromancy school) before. Or maybe Wizard + PrC. Or Cleric. Or I'll find some homebrew class thing.
    Well as I said, more open to adding brew class abilities to normal classes at slow levels then pouring through brew classes. Substantially quicker ya know? Anywho necromancy can be fun, you should try it. Though admittedly holy zelots poke some of the fun out of it since holy is often made just to counter necro perks.
    Questions:
    1. I don't suppose I could have a Slaymate? Either by giving up some WBL, or taking it as a cohort (with some DM-assigned LA) with Undead Leadership or something.
    Thinking not to use leadership in this game. As for slaymate there are many easier CL boosters to get in the game, though I'm not going to say it's impossible to find one IC.
    2. For Animate Dead and similar, does the black onyx have to be a single piece, or can we carry around smaller pieces worth 25 gp each to use as needed?
    Nah, carry a bag, pour it on and spell will only use what it needs. I'm not gonna pick on component costs unless someone has the wrong sort of stone or something. (onyx for true res, gold for desecrate, these sorts of things will fail)
    3. Can I use Knowstones to get a few more spells known?
    No, however between a ruinstaff, the extra spells from the class, and an extra spell feat, I can't think of a reason you'd need any more. (Well apart from that the dread necromancer spell list is missing a few cornerstones. We can add desecrate, to it for free if you'd like.)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

Interested in this so hard.

(7d6b4)[22]
    (7d6b4)[18]
    (7d6b4)[22]
    (7d6b4)[18]
    (7d6b4)[16]
    (7d6b4)[18]

Would it be too cheesy to get free animate dead spells?
    Sir Dan Avatar by Mrgone!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

free animate dead: not entirely sure how you mean. if you mean at will SLA animate dead... yeah, that would be.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

free animate dead: not entirely sure how you mean. if you mean at will SLA animate dead... yeah, that would be.
    Not at will, just without a gp cost.
    Sir Dan Avatar by Mrgone!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Should be alright, after all I already OKed someone considering the fell animate path.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Sounds like fun. I'm thinking a cleric of Nerull/Bone Knight.

Spoiler: stats
    Show
    (7d6b4)[16]
    (7d6b4)[19]
    (7d6b4)[16]
    (7d6b4)[15]
    (7d6b4)[19]
    (7d6b4)[22]

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Both fun. I like that death knights can take other's followers.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

My character concept is that of a body-snatcher sorcerer who managed to transcend mortality by performing a ritual that turned him into an unfettered ghost (he has the freedom to roam, and is not tied to his place of death) . However, unlike the more common lich transformation, the ghost transformation ritual resulted in the loss of most of my character's spellcasting ability. This is to account for the ghost template's +5 level adjustment.

Living as an in corporeal creature can get boring, especially with a drastically reduced spellcasting ability, so my character passes the time by possessing unlucky victims and basically living his life for him. When the body becomes problematic, that is, if it grows old or if it gets mortally wounded or terminally ill, he abandons it in search of a new host.

The host is often a healthy young adult, weak-willed and unlikely to be missed. Perhaps the potential host is a homeless person, or another kind of invisible person like an unskilled laborer with no friends or family. My character takes over the person's life and usually climbs the social ladder through his "newfound" charisma and spellcasting ability. This is the evil aspect of my character, as while he is for the most part a true neutral individual, his body hopping and lifejacking effectively kills an innocent person.

My character retains the Control Undead spell, his sole means of controlling Undead after his depowering. Over the course of the campaign, he will be able to relearn how to cast Animate Dead.

Question: Will I be able to reduce my level adjustment through the Unearthed Arcana rules?

(7d6b4)[18]
    (7d6b4)[14]
    (7d6b4)[17]
    (7d6b4)[12]
    (7d6b4)[23]
    (7d6b4)[19]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Not to throw a kink in that or anything but... You're in a town of undeads... undeads are immune to mind effecting...

That said can always have a controlled undead drop immunity for a time.

(and no, LA will stick with you)
    Last edited by drack; 2014-02-18 at 01:20 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27

you know you can't resist.
    Quiet, you.

Well as I said, more open to adding brew class abilities to normal classes at slow levels then pouring through brew classes. Substantially quicker ya know? Anywho necromancy can be fun, you should try it. Though admittedly holy zelots poke some of the fun out of it since holy is often made just to counter necro perks.
    Ah... I may have a few things to request, but nothing specific right now.

Thinking not to use leadership in this game. As for slaymate there are many easier CL boosters to get in the game, though I'm not going to say it's impossible to find one IC.
    No leadership is fine. Slaymate isn't used for CL boosting. It's used for -1 MM cost on necromancy spells. :3

No, however between a ruinstaff, the extra spells from the class, and an extra spell feat, I can't think of a reason you'd need any more. (Well apart from that the dread necromancer spell list is missing a few cornerstones. We can add desecrate, to it for free if you'd like.)
    Thanks, desecrate is one of the big things I was going for.
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

28. - Top - End - #28

Very, very interesting:

(7d6b4)[21]
    (7d6b4)[22]
    (7d6b4)[14]
    (7d6b4)[19]
    (7d6b4)[23]
    (7d6b4)[20]

I have far too many concepts in my mind. I'll post what I'll do once I have a better idea.
    Last edited by Raunchel; 2014-02-18 at 08:22 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

No leadership is fine. Slaymate isn't used for CL boosting. It's used for -1 MM cost on necromancy spells. :3
    *checks book to see what on earth MM is*
    There are easier ways to reduce metamagic too.

30. - Top - End - #30

I'm thinking about an undead knight of some kind, maybe using Bone Knight or something like that. But I'm not sure yet. If only there was a way to get animate dead on the paladin spell list. And of course the Karnathi skeletons/zombies are rather weak, and it would be nice to have some different undead servants, preferably a small mounted retinue of them. And of course a way to increase the control pool, 20 hd of undead isn't a lot.

Another idea that I have is a bard going into sublime chord to get animate dead. But unfortunately this is blocked by subilme chord's requirements, otherwise I could get animate dead, and therefor become a musical necromancer. Back to the drawing board on this one. And of course the pale master also requires animate dead already, so it won't work either.

My conclusion so far is that nontraditional ways into necromance are nontraditional for a reason, they are hard.
    Last edited by Raunchel; 2014-02-18 at 11:31 AM.