Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Two Man Team PF still seeking dm

So, after several months of searching and submitting characters and threads dieing etc ad naseum, I have decided to request for a dm.

What do I have in mind? Your typical adventure in traversing the lands, discovering secrets, helping the local populace, earning wealth, and taking names from defeating the big bad villians.
    More specifically I would like to play the Teleporter class with my partner playing a more martially focused class, though if Sam wants to change his mind last minute, I don't mind.

Starting level would be 6, wbl would be appreciated, very high point buy for stats (somewhere around 25-30), no homebrewed races, and equal mix of hack and slash and role play, and the type of game would obviously be pathfinder (though I wouldn't mind 3.5 epic rules should the game somehow last to that level). Also, the game would not be gestalt for those dms worried about that.

I don't mind if the adventure is an established adventure path as long as the setting isn't very dark (some darkness would be appreciated for realism's sake). I would prefer if the dm has at least some experience dming pbp and dming pathfinder games between levels 6 and 16 (I'll be lucky if the game lasts that long).

I also do not mind if the gm finds two more suitable players for the game after the two beginning players (myself and Samshiir) have earned a few levels.

In essence, I have a bit of a bare-bones idea of what I would like. Because this is fairly bare bones, I'm willing to negotiate on issues and factors to help fill out the game, just ask me if you have questions.

Last but not least: Why did I not put up a 16? Because I don't know the answers to all the questions, and because I would not be the dm. Hopefully once a dm is found all questions will be answered.
    Last edited by Falcon777; 2014-03-10 at 09:45 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Two Man Team PF seeking dm and player

Count me in as a player!
    Last edited by Samshiir; 2014-02-23 at 02:32 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: Two Man Team PF seeking dm

Hey Sam, I was just looking at the teleporter class, and I remembered that they get the bonus feat of dimensional jaunt. I'll be honest, I really don't understand the purpose of the class receiving that feat. Perhaps you could take a look at the feat and the class and get an idea? There's a link to the teleporter class in the original post.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

So you don't understand why a Teleporter would get an essentially at-will teleport ability? Its a short-range, nearly At-Will D-Door without having to burn any resources, with a +1 Caster Level to Teleportation spells to boot.

You'll never have to make a Jump check again!

5. - Top - End - #5

Yeah, but from what I can tell the range is extremely short, as in like, under 50 feet. By the time you get it you already have the spell teleport. I guess at will kind of makes sense, the range of it simply seems....small.

Meh. The class as a whole is pretty much exactly what I've been looking for for a couple years now, so I've been wanting to play it for several months now. Hence, the game request.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Go to 13:48. My point will be made there.

7. - Top - End - #7

I can....sort of see your point. Dimensional door is still faster, but it does use up resources, so there is that I suppose. The +1 to caster level for teleport spells is the obvious nice point to the feat.

Really, as I said before, the class is what I'm looking to play, regardless of whether or not I completely understand how to fully take advantage of everything offered to it. Actually, you could say this game request is an attempt to learn exactly that: how to take advantage of all the class features and spells available to the teleporter. That and just a chance to play it to begin with...lol.

8. - Top - End - #8

Perhaps a big sixteen would make this game request a little bit more....enticing.

Spoiler: Big Sixteen
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

Pathfinder.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

I'm open to suggestions.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

2, me and Sam, though if the dm feels it is appropriate, he can add 2 more after Sam and I have gained a couple of levels.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

Play by post on these forums.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

Level 6

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

Wealth by level would be appreciated.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

I'll be playing the Teleporter while Sam works out what he wants to play, though I believe he is leaning towards multiclassed rogue. Should the dm feel it is appropriate to add players to the game, then I'll leave it up to him whether or not he wants to allow homebrew classes.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

Standard races from core rule book or advanced race guide (i.e. no homebrew, but go wild if you want on races available from official pathfinder sources).

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

30 point buy

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Any non evil.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

Multiclassing is fine.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

Rolls will be done by players and dm as appropriate in spoilers in ic thread unless dm needs to do secret rolls or it is appropriate to do them in the ooc thread.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Hero points would be nice, but are not necessary.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

This probably depends upon the dm, but I personally like to fill out my character sheets with a decent to large amount of background, especially if the game doesn't start at first level.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

Story is important, so plenty of role play. However, as I'm specifically requesting this to learn how to play the teleporter, plenty of hack and slash would be nice as well. Puzzles at the discretion of the dm.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

As I am specifically using a homebrewed class, I think it would only be fair to allow Sam and potential recruits to choose one as well. However, that isn't a demand but rather a suggestion.

Also, it would be nice if we could have the advanced players guide, ultimate equipment, ultimate magic, ultimate combat, and the bestiary as available sources for possible content within the game.

Hopefully that answers any unanswered questions you potential dms are having while you read this thread.

Again, just post your questions if you have them. I don't bite.
    Last edited by Falcon777; 2014-03-12 at 09:11 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Interesting, ill keep my eye on you two. I'm too busy to throw ideas at you today so i will simply make my presence known.

I'm back.

Thanks to my friend flag for making ghost napa into my avatar. Just like Ghost Nappa, I won't ever go away for long.

10. - Top - End - #10

Cool stuff. It's just nice to see a possible dm poke his head in here.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Since i have half a moment to think now: you had mentioned that you had a few barebones ideas, I am most curious about them. I would like to know what kind of game, you said not to dark, I can pull that off, might take a few ideas from APs, but i tend not to like them that much And Sam, have you ideas for a character,?

A few things you can expect if you play in my game. Lots of RP, i use hack and slash as a response to rp situations, there are always times where you end up with an enemy but you can usually avoid them without too many problems.

I'm back.

Thanks to my friend flag for making ghost napa into my avatar. Just like Ghost Nappa, I won't ever go away for long.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

I would most likely play a Magus or Rogue.

13. - Top - End - #13

Well, the teleporter that I had originally built was for a game where there was an empire going to war with some tribes. That scene isn't necessary, however, having the political demographics of an empire seems kind of interesting to me. If there were a few powerful states separated by something (geography, magic, culture, etc), it could add for some very interesting side arcs.

I was thinking that the overall setting would be fairly magic heavy, technology just moving past middle ages (no gunpowder yet, but reason enough to have just about anything from the ultimate equipment book for possible adventuring ideas/goals/means to goals). There would be a magic academy, there is some religious persecution in certain areas of the empire, and the core races from the core rule book form the majority of the worlds population by a significant degree.

I suppose you could say I also have some plot hooks at the bottom of my character page. Here's Darius Keyas. I've got goals and secrets listed within the additional information box (the character sheet is of course on Myth-weavers).

That's what I've got so far.

Edit1: as to rp vs hack-slash, that's pretty much how I think things ought to go. The story needs to make sense (e.g. so living characters that take time to think about the consequences of killing someone in broad daylight, even if it's self defense, would be the norm).
    Last edited by Falcon777; 2014-02-25 at 09:56 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

I have a better opportunity to respond now,

My first choice would be a Magus. Atorian Celehta is a character of mine that I have always wanted to play, but never have had a real chance to. He started out in 3rd Edition as a Fighter/Wizard/Bard/Bladesinger, but his concept is represented a lot more effectively with the single class Magus. I have a low-level version of him built right now, but would like to know more about stat generation and other specifics before I present him.

As far as setting and story, I prefer a focus on story when it comes to PbP games. On the other hand, it isn't D&D without hack-and-slash.

15. - Top - End - #15

It sounds to me like we are in agreement then upon the proper mix of role play and fighting. cool stuff.

Edit1: stat generation? You mean ability points like INT and STR? I'm pretty sure I posted 30 point buy in the 16.... hmmmmm

Edit2: oh, perhaps you meant hp? I just presumed max at first level and then average thereafter (so 4 hp per level for a d6 character, 5 hp per level for a d8, and 6 hp for a d10).
    Last edited by Falcon777; 2014-02-25 at 07:11 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    It sounds to me like we are in agreement then upon the proper mix of role play and fighting. cool stuff.

Edit1: stat generation? You mean ability points like INT and STR? I'm pretty sure I posted 30 point buy in the 16.... hmmmmm

Edit2: oh, perhaps you meant hp? I just presumed max at first level and then average thereafter (so 4 hp per level for a d6 character, 5 hp per level for a d8, and 6 hp for a d10).
    Yes, I meant ability scores. :)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I wouldn't mind 30pb, its a little high for pf, but considering my habits, is probably a decent number.

I'm back.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Atorian Celehta is still a work in progress, but there is what I have so far.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    Well, the teleporter that I had originally built was for a game where there was an empire going to war with some tribes. That scene isn't necessary, however, having the political demographics of an empire seems kind of interesting to me. If there were a few powerful states separated by something (geography, magic, culture, etc), it could add for some very interesting side arcs.

I was thinking that the overall setting would be fairly magic heavy, technology just moving past middle ages (no gunpowder yet, but reason enough to have just about anything from the ultimate equipment book for possible adventuring ideas/goals/means to goals). There would be a magic academy, there is some religious persecution in certain areas of the empire, and the core races from the core rule book form the majority of the worlds population by a significant degree.

I suppose you could say I also have some plot hooks at the bottom of my character page. Here's Darius Keyas. I've got goals and secrets listed within the additional information box (the character sheet is of course on Myth-weavers).

That's what I've got so far.

Edit1: as to rp vs hack-slash, that's pretty much how I think things ought to go. The story needs to make sense (e.g. so living characters that take time to think about the consequences of killing someone in broad daylight, even if it's self defense, would be the norm).
    Deimar it is, not half as dark as sylvania, which is weirdconsidering the origin of the name. No matter! Its a huge landmass, there are outerlying islands, but the continent itself is like pangea in that there is only the one. (Something is wrong with my c, it only works some of the time and I've ha to backtrack multiple times to fix it.)
    Also darius is hilarius, but I'm late for work so I will have to look at him later.

I'm back.

20. - Top - End - #20

Hilarious, huh? In what way? Is it perhaps the descriptions of how his body isn't quite perfect? Or is it perhaps his happy go lucky attitude and somewhat obliviousness to interactions with other people? Or maybe it's his penchant for fruity alchohol and juices? Or, just maybe, perhaps how he came to the decision to worship Desna? Take your pick, though I hope you like the character...

Edit1: Just remembered something: would it be all right if we used the Giant's diplomacy fix? It really seems to work better than the older system.
    Last edited by Falcon777; 2014-02-27 at 12:14 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

I had to alter a few things in Darius' sheet:

Given a teleporter's incredibly small spell list and very high UMD skill, I added three wands to his inventory.

I didn't realize that the feat Rapid Displacer Field had a level restriction of 15, so I changed it to area displacer field.

I realized that having the boots of the winterlands was a bit hasty as I honestly don't know where Darius and Atorian will be adventuring. So I changed it out for a mithril buckler.

I added a quick runner's shirt to his inventory.

I changed the length of the rope he had to the full 50 feet instead of 25 feet.

And for all these inventory changes I adjusted the leftover gold he had as appropriate.

On a different note, I've seen you come and go online without posting, so I'm just wondering if you are still interested in dming the game...

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I am still interested, I just don't have time for a few days to start a game so I intend to take that time writing up npcs and orgonizing cities, I don't log onto giant from a computer often so I decide which threads to post in before logging ont my phone.

I'm back.

23. - Top - End - #23

As a point of interest, I just pmed Bladehunter and his schedule is too busy to run this game, so it's open again for any prospective dms.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Two Man Team PF still seeking dm

I could do this.
    You guys have any specific worlds you want? I have a really well developed one that I usually use, but its too dark for this.
    I had a good ol' 'center of all creation' world somewhere around my harddrive... It was on a worldbuilding thread too...
    That sound interesting to you guys? If not, then I'll throw together something else instead.
    Cool avatar by Gurgleflep

Posting Severely Limited. PM me in case of prolonged absence

my page

25. - Top - End - #25

A center of all creation sounds interesting. To be perfectly honest, because of the Teleporter's capability of planeshifting, you don't have to be locked into just the one world. But, in general, I'd like to avoid anything darker than Eberron, and even that is just a bit dark for what I'm looking for in this game as a whole. You can throw dark elements into the game in order to make it more realistic, but yeah, world wide I'd rather it not be too dark. Does that answer your question?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, that 'center of creation one' was a bit darker than Eberron.
    How about a game set mostly in Sigil, city of doors? That could act as a launching point for all kinds of things.

my page

27. - Top - End - #27

City of Doors? That DOES sound intriguing. Give me a sec to look it up...unless it's another homebrewed world, of course.

Edit1: Sure, sounds like a great place to begin the campaign!
    Last edited by Falcon777; 2014-03-12 at 10:28 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

So, I noticed that the Teleporter had a d6 hd in 3.5, and that classes that had d6 in 3.5 had d8 in Pathfinder. Because of this, I had to change the hp of Darius.

Secondly, if you can dm this game, Kreenlover, we probably ought to begin an ooc thread.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, so I've got a bit more planning to do, but if one of you two wants to throw up an OOC thread, then be my guest!

my page

30. - Top - End - #30

Here is the ooc thread.