New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default [EMPIRE!] The Central Sea Conference, 353

The Central Sea Conference
    -Summer of 353, in the City of Ryazen Bay-

All Guests note - any alliances or trades or betrothals can be merged into your action of attending the conference, so long as you summarize all occurrences in your action post.

The Ryazen region is the breadbasket of all the Northwest, supplying a majority of the grains and breads consumed by the tens of thousands of citizens of the four UN nations: Endless fertile fields of wheat and barley stretch across the treeless coastal lands, while the hardy men and women of Crima work the fields together. Breads are cheap and plentiful, and supplemented by both horsemeat from the more arid steppes and bat meat from the hilly north. How strange are the Cree, that they both respect and consume the same animals, but fail to afford their breads and oats nearly the same reverence!

The territorial waters are craggy and treacherous in places, but one landing upon the coast is both safe and desirable: Ryazen Bay, where a thriving port town has sprung up! While Crima's more watery trades have dried up in more recent years due to tensions between the Union of the North and the Grand Coalition, the city nevertheless remains the grandest in Crima short of Cree itself, and has the finest port in all the Union of the North!

Even if, admittedly, it is the ONLY port in the Union of the North. Ryjin Kha, the city's head, would probably just dismiss this fact as a detail, but the point stands.

The docks are built of fine cedarwood and reinforced with stone, the ships tend toward more lightly-built trading vessels than actual warships, and the buildings are constructed from granite and steel with such skill that they could likely hold up to any conceivable attack. The guards are well-trained in the archer's craft, and any thieves or murderers foolish enough to be caught are quickly disabled and brought in for judgment. Even the citizens here are better-educated and wealthier than most in the other nations, thanks to the public school that sprung up nearly fifteen years ago today!

In the cold air under the sunshine of a cloudless sky, merchants stand at the streetsides offering their wares in trade for coin, caring little for the coinage recieved so long as it is worth anything at all, and Merchant Princes file their accountant scribblings away on the upper floors of the larger buildings. Even the peasants bring their products into an impromptu farmer's market, seeing the potential for some foreign wealth in their own hands. Horses are stabled throughout the city and yet more carry riders and carts through the streets. No less important are the batty couriers flying up above, carrying messages between all manners of people. Most impressive, though, is the palace built at the northern edge of the bay city, with servants scrambling to ready the accomodations and preparations for the conference as quickly as possible!

Built out of only the best granite (and furnished with trimmings of marble and mithril), the palace features a main hall that leads into the Kha's throne room at the end. Many spiralling stairways branch off of the sides, however, leading to upper floors and to many, many fine private rooms furnished with rugs made from horsehide and Bordeux furs. Not all are occupied, and most have space for guests anyway.

The main hall itself is private but not secret: All discussions that take place here are ultimately in the open, with dozens of servants and guards in a position to hear every single word. The peasants may not currently be present and the hall might not be flooded with people, but more romantic conversations and those which should be kept away from the public ear would be best taken to one of the upper rooms instead.

High Chieftain Umajin is present in the main hall, along with a small group of ceremonial guard in their bat-winged helmets and crests of horsehair. Their armor is finely cut from mithril for appearance rather than for battlefield efficacy, but this belies their nature: They are, after all, still some of the finest soldiers in the Khalifate, and are more than able to deal with any problems that are likely to crop up. The Khalif himself is clearly aging, having reached his fifty-seventh summer just a week before, but nevertheless has somehow clung to his strength of will and intimidating presence. He is no longer nearly as strong as he was in his prime, but he remains more than capable of handling a bow or blade with expert skill.

"Welcome, fellow leaders of Men and Women, Dwarves, Lizardmen and Lizardwomen, and all others who find themselves in the hall! As you've no doubt surmised from our somewhat public invitation, this conference has been called in the interest of ensuring fair and safe waters for the purposes of trade among all our nations, and to ensure that the waterways are used for commerce rather than war.

Of course, as pleasant and simple as it sounds, I've no doubt that there will potentially be dozens of small hiccups and issues that would appear were such a treaty enacted, so this is a public table of discussion. As much as I enjoy the sound of my own voice -"

There's a chuckle from most of the courtiers at that one.

"- It is important that all of our voices are heard so that such an agreement might hold. So, for now I leave conversation in the able hands of all of my guests.

Oh, and it may interest the hungrier of you to know that the table on the far right contains a selection of fine foods from all four nations of the Union of the North, as well as a few additions by those here who have elected to bring their own gifts of food to share among all of us. Bless those people for their foresight and generosity, of course. Servants will bring the dishes around periodically if you do not wish to go to the table yourself and partake.

Now, whomever has an issue that they wish to bring up may do so. I am finished speaking."

Sure enough, there is in fact a snack table.

Spoiler: Rulers in Attendance
    Show
    Umajin Khalif, High Chieftain of the Crimar Khalifate!

The rest of you, you know who you are.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [EMPIRE!] The Central Sea Conference, 353

The city was impressive, even the Khan could not deny this to the Crima builders. Their devout work and steady drudgery had produced something head and shoulders above what could be found in Woodwind and size alone made a mockery of the Enclave of Existence within Aloren, though the craftsmanship also exceeded what could be found there. Still, the opulence spoke to a state of mind the Khan didn't share, one of decadence and over the top grandiose. For the Khan, incorporating people and land into his empire was head and shoulders above decking out his living quarters like some greedy Kobold. He chuckled as he thought of the Draconomicon he had read during their journey here.

When he had first heard of the tome he had dismissed it as the work of the over active imaginations of story tellers, but the details and reports within it had convinced him of the truth of the Kobolds said to live deep within the Aloren woods. Yet, they seemed to be rather seclusive, keeping to themselves for the most part. The tome speculated a population of 1-3 thousand, an insignificant fraction of the Province's population.

The Khan was distracting himself, his purpose, and that of Malyn Shaeldtae who strode beside him, was to secure the waters the Empire needed and to bring up the issue of the Salterri Imperium to the south.

He was sitting at the conference hall now, he hadn't had time to greet and mingle with his allies due to his barely on time arrival but he had spotted their faces, aged as they were. His no doubt looked similarly wizened but he still held himself like a powerful warrior.

As the Kha opened the floor the Khan jumped on the opportunity, "Let's not beat around the bush, there is one thing on the forefront of everyone's mind, the Salterri Imperium. They've killed or captured thousands of men from a variety of nations and offered no explanation or olive branch. I advocate an organization of fleets and armies, unified as neighbors who know each other, and march against them before they seek to invade our lands and destroy our way of life!"

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

The Raaneki procession was hard to miss as it made its way up from the docks. They wore billowing clothes with colors to compliment their dyed skin and many tattoos. They played with stringed instruments and sang with winged voices. They called out to the Cree, asking for names of taverns and places of merriment. A cart in their midst was laden with the foods, goods, and--most importantly--the wines of their culture. In all, two score painted men and women walked in gaiety under the northern sun.

A young man rode at the head of their party upon a proud Crimar stallion. The man's hair fell to his chin in countless blonde braids, contrasting with his pleasant light-brown skin. His tattoos were simple black ink, though a prominent star design radiated from his left eye. He wore purple robes in the northern style, and almost looked comfortable in so much clothing.

At the palace gates, half of the Raaneki procession broke off and tended the cart around a corner. The remainder, clearly the high-born of the Raaneki, gathered around their leader as he dismounted his horse.

Once inside, their leader made his way to the High Chieftan of Crima.

"If it please your grace," said a Raaneki herald to the High Chieftan, "may I present Prince Tikta Satato, first captain of the Raaneki cavalry, son to Aditi, Lady of Raaneka."

Prince Tikta extended a clay pot of wine in greeting. "High Chieftan, please accept this gift, the finest vintage from the royal stores of Raaneka. May it be heartily enjoyed by you and your closest friends."
    Last edited by Zap Dynamic; 2014-02-18 at 08:03 PM.
    Avatar by the wonderful and talented Ceika!
    Playing:

Past Faves: The Blackwood | Raaneka | Cachimba

My DeviantArt.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Bordeusi delegation, having arrived a week earlier to hammer out Union charter details, was waiting in the hall to greet the royal delegations. Seeing the Raaneki delegation arriving, Lord David approaches them.

Prince, it is my pleasure to make your acquaintance. My daughter is here, although she is not pleased about. You two have met each other before, at the Games, yes?
    Lord David had no idea of what had transpired at the Games, as Lady Pauline had prudently decided not to tell him.
    ________

At the Khan's address, Lord David stands.

While, Khan, your concerns are noted, I object to your alleging of them being inherently and vehemently against our way of life. While, yes, they did kill or capture many men, it was not without due cause I expect. Your men, and those of Hrathan-Tuor were, most likely, in their sovereign territory. If you saw ships whose colors you did not recognize sailing past your coast, would you not be alarmed, and react accordingly? Furthermore, while their actions may be in the extreme, it is no worse than your own invasion of the nation of Aloren. In addition, we do not know many things about them. Perhaps, to the south of them, there have been reavers who they have had no luck in pacifying. Thus, they may see your men as much the same, barbarians who seek only to plunder. While that is not the case, I agree that they must be dealt with. However, war should not be the answer. I propose we send an envoy, over land, flying a flag of peace. If, then, they still do not respond with nothing but war, we should revisit the topic.
    Amazing Jaune Arc avatar made by the talented artist Comissar. Thanks a lot!

Playing as the Kingdom of Gleiss in Empire! 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    A ravenous, numberless horde of immortal, undying goats cursed with unceasing hunger would actually be a very disturbing apocalypse.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

This was, plainly put, awkward. The three lizardfolk stood at the main gates, while human after human passed by, gawking at them. The city itself was, of course, magnificent. Although the architecture was unfamiliar, it was still a site to see.

A human boy came closer than the others. "Mama, why do fese guys have taiws?" He was obviously young, as the voice and grammar proved.

"They're just here for the conference, sweetens." This was accompanied by a look that said if you go near him I beat the crap out of you.

Awnli, the leader of the delegation sighed. "Well, we aren't accomplishing anything standing here, let's go in.

And with that, they were off into the city.
    Last edited by moossabi; 2014-02-18 at 08:33 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

More wait and see policies, what an absolutely marvelous start. The Khan was certain the Northern Lord would feel differently had it been his men who had been lost.

"If you assume I would kill and capture any foreign visitor I can only assume this would be your reaction? Then can I also assume you would make no overtures to contact the nation who's men you captured? Or that you would maintain an aggressive silence in the face of revelation there were others out there besides yourself?"

"Your ignorance shows Lord David, Perhaps you were unaware that taking Aloren was bloodless on the part of the native Aloren populace. In fact, I saved the people from a bloody civil war." The Khan turned towards Malyn.

"The only Aloren who was killed was my treacherous cousin Shield Lord Kaldten Maerathyn who would have led a rebellion against me and killed many in his quest for power," the former king replied dutifully.

He was quite a good trophy to have hanging around, the Khan thought, and he knew how to play the game well.

"Perhaps when your diplomat is returned nailed to the mast of his ship and the rest of the envoy dead you'll listen to reason, until then I plan to prepare for the worst, I've come to understand others don't believe in the necessities of preparation, so I will ask no further of deaf ears."

"What then is your grand proposal for these oceans? To use them only for peace? Surely even you are not so naive as to believe that will work. When the Imperium comes north I assure you their ships will not be loaded with furs for trade, we need not stare into optimism so hard that we lose sight of reality. We'll need a fleet of warships, I myself am unwilling to give up my right to build them and I'd prefer, since we're here, we decide how best to handle our military fleets within the Central Sea."
    Last edited by QuintonBeck; 2014-02-18 at 08:29 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

At the opening statement, the three coiled their tails nervously. They had never heard of the Ignatio Empire, the Raaneki, and about half of the other attenders. They hadn't heard of the Salterri Imperium, or why they were such a problem.

The argument between the two kings got hem even more nervous. Why would people want to nail someone to a mast? And who are the Salterri Imperium? Why did the Khan conquer a land if it was already weak? "Kahil, take some notes. We need to figure out what is going on in the east," Awnli whispered to his companion.

"What am I to do?" Dakul, the third one asked.

"Watch the conversation and notice what Kahil misses."

We can learn from them was the single thought on Awnli's mind. And we will...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Though he appeared to be dozing in an ornate chair he had brought from Ashenia, King Hazael was anything but unaware of what was going on. With the help of a servant and a carved wooden cane, he stood from his chair and walked forward to address the Khan, the High Chief and Lord David. The silver streaks in his once black hair glinted in the light.
    "Calm yourselves gentlemen. There will be plenty of time to discuss the finer points of the situation to the South. You seek to engage them in war Khan of Woodwind and Emperor of Ignato. Foolishness. We know nothing of them or their land, and given the ease they dispatched the exploratory expeditions sent South, I grow concerned as to their full military capabilities.
    "We must know more before we go too far to withdraw. To this end, I suggest sending a delegation under the flag of peace. It may be that this whole matter can be resolved without conflict, if not, we'll at least know some of their capabilities.
    "I understand if you are averse to holding off for fear of acting too late, but acting too soon can have just as many consequences."
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Dyamus waved a dismissive hand towards the foreign leader "You may do what you wish, your envoy does not represent my nation, I care not what you choose to do with it. What does concern me is a Union attempt to control the ships within the Central Sea. I won't stand for the pacification of my waters.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Fortunately, the King of Ashenia's eyesight had begun failing in recent years, so he didn't notice the dismissive hand.
    "Very well then. The Union seeks not to control the ships within the Central Seas, nor do we wish to pacify the waters. We seek merely a guarantee that any and all merchant shipping will be free from attack by any and all ships, whether they fly under the flag of a sovereign nation or their own. Furthermore, we wish for a guarantee that any ship in distress for any reason is assisted whenever practicable. Such guarantees can only stand to increase confidence in shipping and bolster trade as a result.
    "If this is pacifying the waters, I do not see it, particularly as such guarantees are hollow without navies to back them up."
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)

Dragons!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

"What about in times of war? Will you demand merchant ships belonging to the enemy be allowed free reign in such a situation?"

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

This was getting out of hand. Awnli had to act now. "Look, if what you say is, in fact, true, than the Salterri Imperium is either a very powerful military force, or some misunderstood scared people. But there is no point in squabbling about it now! There are people that are peaceful and people that aren't, but the Salterri whatever-it-is isn't that much of a problem, seeing as how far detached they are from our lands."
    Last edited by moossabi; 2014-02-18 at 10:38 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

"Lord David of Bordeux!" Prince Tikta said with a laugh. "I have long wanted to meet you. Here, please!" He called to a Raaneki nearby, who produced an unopened pot of wine. "White wine from the town of Suri. The ancestors say you will hear a gentle chorus of singers if you drink this on a warm afternoon." Absently, the prince touched the star tattoo on his face. "I did have the pleasure of meeting your daughter. In truth, I had hoped I might see her here."
    Last edited by Zap Dynamic; 2014-02-19 at 12:14 AM.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

For the first time, perhaps, the Continentals were given a chance to see a portion of the true might of the Jeweled Cities. Previous trading missions had been a few merchant ships at best, carefully selected to be non-threatening. But when the Jeweled Cities Coalition arrived at Ryzaen Bay, they brought an armada with them.

No less than 40 heavily armed, multiple sailed ships rode in harbor. These were big ships, suitable for travel on the open ocean, not mere coast-travelling cogs. Those who lived along the shores of the Sea of the Golden sun and were old enough to recall more than a few decades back recognized the flags and shapes of the most notorious raiders of old. Above their individual flags, however, flew the united banner of the Jeweled Cities. They were sending a message, clearly.

King Grumby had taken some effort in the last years to prepare for this conference. He managed lecture, teach, and bully his crews into “Crima appropriate” clothing and behavior. Ships’ first mates prowled the marketplaces and inns, keeping an eye out for trouble and handling unruly crew members. Even his wife and daughters were being kept on a short leash. Not literally, of course, much to Ginger’s disappointment. Things went well until the Reneki delegation arrived. After that, they had to go to shore leave for only ¼ of any crew at one time.

Now, he stood with his woman and their children, Pauly Feathers and Black Sam, and a couple of Shamans, listening to the talk. The twins pointed out the members of the Reneki delegation they recognized from attending the games a few years before. The ate heartily from the food, noting the large gift of tropical fruits they donated were well represented.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    "Let's not beat around the bush, there is one thing on the forefront of everyone's mind, the Salterri Imperium. They've killed or captured thousands of men from a variety of nations and offered no explanation or olive branch. I advocate an organization of fleets and armies, unified as neighbors who know each other, and march against them before they seek to invade our lands and destroy our way of life!"
    Black Sam spoke, adding his assent. ”The ONE ship we have lost, we can assume it was them as well.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Burch View Post
    At the Khan's address, Lord David stands....

However, war should not be the answer. I propose we send an envoy, over land, flying a flag of peace. If, then, they still do not respond with nothing but war, we should revisit the topic.
    As Lord David spoke, Grumby and the delegation clapped politely. It was not in their best interest to sound the war drums.

Grumby caught the anxiety of the lizardfolk. He couldn’t tell if they were from Tar or some other region, but he reasoned all lizard folks are the same. He leaned in to the sky Shaman who accompanied them ”Perhaps you should go offer your support to that small delegation?”

The Khan turned towards Malyn.

"What then is your grand proposal for these oceans? To use them only for peace? Surely even you are not so naive as to believe that will work. When the Imperium comes north I assure you their ships will not be loaded with furs for trade, we need not stare into optimism so hard that we lose sight of reality. We'll need a fleet of warships, I myself am unwilling to give up my right to build them and I'd prefer, since we're here, we decide how best to handle our military fleets within the Central Sea."
    The Jeweled Cities Delegation stirred at this. These folks from Woodwind could be a problem. But Jonas motioned for calm, encouraging them to wait for the tide to turn once again.

Grumby spoke only once, adding his comment to the hubub "Reality is built from disbelief. For who would believe a tiny fig seed could call forth such a majestic tree?"
    Last edited by lt_murgen; 2014-02-19 at 09:42 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

Six imposing warships sail into the Ryazen bay harbor. From the salt scars on the sails, the ships have clearly been through a large storm recently, but the hulls look completely solid and the rigging and crew are in perfect order, as are the heavy bows and light catapults mounted all over the decks and spars.

It is not until the ships are halfway into the harbor that the flag of the Nine Guilds is unfurled. On the quarterdeck of the leading warship, Loki Ethmorl smiles to himself.

That ought to make an impression...

Then he notices the jeweled cities armada. So much for that plan...

He turns to his six-year-old son, gesturing at the docks and fortifications of the port.

Look at these dockyards, Nathanias! The architecture is amazing, no?

The little boy is silent; he's watching a fish swimming beside the boat with that half-loving, half-predatory look he sometimes gets. Loki lets out an clearly exaggerated sigh and pats the boy on the head.

Come along now, we have a conference to attend. You remember your etiquette lessons?

He nods, again not speaking. The high Guildmaster rolls his eyes and runs up to the prow, leaping off as soon as the dock is within jumping distance. His retainers and a few soldiers hurry after him, looking not nearly as dignified as they tumble over onto the dock. Nathanias comes last, still staring at something in the water. He steps gracefully down, and takes his place by his father.

After entering the palace, the high guildmaster's party is joined by a grey-clad man that seems to have appeared out of nowhere. He informs them that the conference has already begun, and what has been said so far.

Upon entering the main hall, Loki immediately walks over to the Khan.

Ignato, you old firebrand, trying to start up another war I hear.

Then, in a lower voice:

For Quinton only
    Spoiler
    Show
    Let's wait for the third before we announce it.

Quote Originally Posted by moossabi View Post
    This was getting out of hand. Awnli had to act now. "Look, if what you say is, in fact, true, than the Salterri Imperium is either a very powerful military force, or some misunderstood scared people. But there is no point in squabbling about it now! There are people that are peaceful and people that aren't, but the Salterri whatever-it-is isn't that much of a problem, seeing as how far detached they are from our lands."
    Loki smiles disarmingly when the lizard folk speaks up.

I'm uncertain as to your customs, but when humans are scared, they do not generally disfigure the bodies of what they fear. No, this action by the Salterri is clearly an act of aggression! I would not be surprised if they are planning to invade the southern nations and enslave our citizens; that would explain our missing sailors at any rate. As much as the Khan and I have our disagreements, I think he may be right about a pre-emotive strike. If this Imperium wanted diplomacy, they could have bargained with our explorers, or at least sent one back alive to warn us to keep away, if they thought us aggressors. So, I conclude they are unreasonable, and war is perhaps our only option. However, the south is quite unable to launch a retributive strike without support. And we all know-

He shoots a sidelong glance at the Aloren.

-How quick the the nations of the world are to come to the south's aid.
    Last edited by ImperatorV; 2014-02-19 at 09:45 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Mosi had been carried in on a simple palanquin, sitting still as stone. His four guards found a nice place out of the way where he would still be able to hear the conversations taking place and sat him down. They weren't really sure what to do with him in all honestly. He rarely moved, even more rarely did he speak. If it wasn't for Prince Tendaji directing things, they'd be completely lost.

Prince Tendaji sat on the edge of his father's resting palanquin and surveyed the room. The Khan and the Guildmaster were already here at least. Hopefully they would still have time for their talks. Hopefully they would not mind dealing with the Prince instead of his father.

Meanwhile Mosi sat still and silent, deep in meditation. His eyes were open but milky white. Tendaji shook his head. They'll think he's mad. The discussion in the room became heated.

Prince Tendaji stood to speak, but felt a hand on his shoulder. Mosi nodded, dismissing his son's surprise and motioned for him to sit back down. Mosi didn't move but Tendaji heard his voice. "Not yet, my son. Listen first." Tendaji sat back down, but wasn't sure what had just happened. Mosi smiled briefly.
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

"From your lands maybe, not from mine, or Hrathan-Tuor, or Genivana," the Khan answered looking up and down the scaly representative. He hoped the lizardfolk of Nyroth were not such preeminent cowards, lest his current strategy he'd been planning be ruined.

The Jeweled Cities Delegation stirred at this. These folks from Woodwind could be a problem. But Jonas motioned for calm, encouraging them to wait for the tide to turn once again.

Grumby spoke only once, adding his comment to the hubub "Reality is built from disbelief. For who would believe a tiny fig seed could call forth such a majestic tree?"
    The Khan looked sidelong at the grizzled seaman and shook his head. Why could no one talk straight sense?

Quote Originally Posted by ImperatorV View Post
    After entering the palace, the high guildmaster's party is joined by a grey-clad man that seems to have appeared out of nowhere. He informs them that the conference has already begun, and what has been said so far.

Upon entering the main hall, Loki immediately walks over to the Khan.

Ignato, you old firebrand, trying to start up another war I hear.

Then, in a lower voice:

For Quinton only
    Spoiler
    Show
    Let's wait for the third before we announce it.
    The Khan nodded at the Guildmaster and smiled at his words, so the great defender of Aloren had agreed. Wonderful. And by the sounds of it so had his partner. They must have seen the sense in his proposal.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperatorV View Post
    Loki smiles disarmingly when the lizard folk speaks up.

I'm uncertain as to your customs, but when humans are scared, they do not generally disfigure the bodies of what they fear. No, this action by the Salterri is clearly an act of aggression! I would not be surprised if they are planning to invade the southern nations and enslave our citizens; that would explain our missing sailors at any rate. As much as the Khan and I have our disagreements, I think he may be right about a pre-emptive strike. If this Imperium wanted diplomacy, they could have bargained with our explorers, or at least sent one back alive to warn us to keep away, if they thought us aggressors. So, I conclude they are unreasonable, and war is perhaps our only option. However, the south is quite unable to launch a retributive strike without support. And we all know-

He shoots a sidelong glance at the Aloren.

-How quick the the nations of the world are to come to the south's aid.
    Malyn gave a nod towards the guildmaster, his armies had come to keep the Khan out even as the Shield Lord had worked to consolidate military power by abandoning the citizens. If Hrathan-Tuor had been successful his might still be the head upon which the crown of Aloren rested. Even if Woodwind had not been so barbaric as he had feared there was no doubt the loss of his regency still weighed heavily on his mind.

The Khan likewise saw the guildmaster's gaze, smiling to himself at his own victories, but he knew enough to stay silent.

Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post
    Prince Tendaji sat on the edge of his father's resting palanquin and surveyed the room. The Khan and the Guildmaster were already here at least. Hopefully they would still have time for their talks. Hopefully they would not mind dealing with the Prince instead of his father.
    Dyamus noted the arrival of the Mosi and his prince son and nodded in their direction, looking towards the guildmaster as well, indicating he wished them to announce the deed lest he seem to appear more aggressive than the present countries already saw him.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

"From your lands maybe, not from mine, or Hrathan-Tuor, or Genivana,"
    Grumby nodded to Pauline, aka Pauly feathers. The middle aged woman still wore her renown feathered cloak, but this time with more 'Crima' clothing.

Her voice was like her clothing, a harsh mish-mash of accents and tones. "Yoer southern Continentals launch a half-assed fleet in sekrit, lose most of it unner circumstances foggy, an' then try to scare us wit some boogey-spirit hauntin' the south? You really 'pect us to buy dem spoiled goods?
    Last edited by lt_murgen; 2014-02-19 at 11:41 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

"What about in times of war? Will you demand merchant ships belonging to the enemy be allowed free reign in such a situation?"
    "A noteworthy point Dyamus. That is why we're here, to discuss these matters before incidents cause unnecessary escalations. We suggest any such hostile actions be kept to the territorial waters of the nations engaged in the conflict and never spill into the free waters. Any act that does so should be considered an act of piracy and responded to appropriately.
    "As for the extent of one's territorial waters, we of Ashenia cannot claim to have any knowledge of that topic whatsoever, so we'll allow those with more experience to suggest a suitable cut off point. Perhaps all that is in sight of land?"

As he noted the entrance of the delegates from the Jewelled Cities and Hrathan and Tuor remembered a matter he needed to discuss with them.
    "However, I am afraid I must discuss something with my son-in-law and King Jonas. In private. As they both clearly have a stake in the definition of territorial waters, we should hold that discussion for their return."

OOC: He means the High Guildmaster by son-in-law.

Dragons!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"I apologize for my companion's statement. We merely wanted to prevent a war of its own erupting in this chamber. Considering what you have said, these people (if they even deserve to be called that) are, indeed, a major threat for not only you, but for everyone at this conference," Dakul stated. "But, there is no sense in rushing into a war where we barely know our enemy. Let them fester in their cesspool while we send spies to observe fighting styles and weaknesses. We can grow our armies and have a strategy laid out before-hand."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Burch View Post
    ...I propose we send an envoy, over land, flying a flag of peace. If, then, they still do not respond with nothing but war, we should revisit the topic.
    As Lord David spoke, Grumby and the delegation clapped politely. It was not in their best interest to sound the war drums.
    Word of the Salterri Imperium was news to the Raaneki. The half-spoken details of ravaged ships and mutilated explorers did not sit well with Prince Tikta. He was a bold man, but like all Raaneki he was more fond of peace than war.

Noting the arrival of the delegates from the Jeweled Cities, the prince and his retainers breathed a quiet sigh of relief. Perhaps these vaunted petty kings and natal emperors had grand ambitions, but every indication painted them as colossally dull and aggressive people. The prince spoke quietly to one of his more prestigious retainers, who swished across the hall toward the islanders.

"My prince greets you with the warmth of the Raaneki sun.," she said to no one of great importance so as not to disrupt proceedings. "Perhaps you and yours would join us for revelry tonight?" The young Raaneki woman smirked as she glanced around the room. "Formal invitation to follow."
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

"Enough!"

There was little hint of anger in the Kha's voice, as the exclamation was one of annoyance rather than rage. He quickly continued, now that he had called the floor back to himself.

"I find it amusing, 'Doomkhan' of Woodwind, that you see no issue marching thousands of armed men into Aloren and sailing your forces yet further south, but when someone sees fit to defend their borders, you insist that THEY are aggressive and thus need to be stopped. The irony is palpable.

Further, you chose to come to a gathering with the explicit goal of peace on the waters, and chose to demand that the gathered rulers here fight your wars of conquest for you! Your actions here so far represent an insult to every man and woman in this room, and that I cannot abide.

This is a warning that I give to you out of courtesy and out of respect for our shared ancestors: Cease your meaningless derailment and discuss something that's relevant to the purpose of this gathering, or I shall expel you from this hall.

Besides, I wouldn't be so quick to use this as a platform for gathering support against the Salterri Imperium."

A faint smirk extends from Umajin's lips at that, breaking his previous deadpan expression.

"After all, they're invited too."

His piece spoken, the Khalif leans back in his seat at the large table that he'd had added to the room for this particular conference, so that each of the foreign leaders might be able to relax a bit.

He'd suspected that Woodwind might try to derail the conference into this particular debate, and had prepared some lines in advance. Only time would tell if Khan Dyamus would stick to the script, though.
    Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2014-02-19 at 12:04 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Grumby nodded to Pauline, aka Pauly feathers. The middle aged woman still wore her renown feathered cloak, but this time with more 'Crima' clothing.

Her voice was like her clothing, a harsh mish-mash of accents and tones. "Yoer southern Continentals launch a half-assed fleet in sekrit, lose most of it unner circumstances foggy, an' then try to scare us wit some boogey-spirit hauntin' the south? You really 'pect us to buy dem spoiled goods?
    "Fine then jabberer, don't believe me, sail south. Your people are renowned sailors, I'm honestly shocked you don't already know of them. Perhaps you're not the great commanders of water I took you for," the Khan said, picking at what he believed to be a place of honor for the Jeweled City pirates.

"A noteworthy point Dyamus. That is why we're here, to discuss these matters before incidents cause unnecessary escalations. We suggest any such hostile actions be kept to the territorial waters of the nations engaged in the conflict and never spill into the free waters. Any act that does so should be considered an act of piracy and responded to appropriately.
    "As for the extent of one's territorial waters, we of Ashenia cannot claim to have any knowledge of that topic whatsoever, so we'll allow those with more experience to suggest a suitable cut off point. Perhaps all that is in sight of land?"
    "I'll agree we need to map out the waters, but who would do such a thing? It's a hard thing to trust maps from the hands of non impartial explorers."

"I apologize for my companion's statement. We merely wanted to prevent a war of its own erupting in this chamber. Considering what you have said, these people (if they even deserve to be called that) are, indeed, a major threat for not only you, but for everyone at this conference," Dakul stated. "But, there is no sense in rushing into a war where we barely know our enemy. Let them fester in their cesspool while we send spies to observe fighting styles and weaknesses. We can grow our armies and have a strategy laid out before-hand."
    A voice of minor reason, and from the scales too, "They are dangerous, we know that, and I would love to know more but their actions have shown their capability and cruelty, to think the crude means we have at our individual dispense could penetrate their defenses and gather information is ludicrous. These spies and explorers will no doubt be uncovered and shipped back in boxes, or not shipped back at all. The blacksmith strikes while the anvil is hot, not after he watches it cool and harden.

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    "Enough!"

There was little hint of anger in the Kha's voice, as the exclamation was one of annoyance rather than rage. He quickly continued, now that he had called the floor back to himself.

"I find it amusing, 'Doomkhan' of Woodwind, that you see no issue marching thousands of armed men into Aloren and sailing your forces yet further south, but when someone sees fit to defend their borders, you insist that THEY are aggressive and thus need to be stopped. The irony is palpable.

Further, you chose to come to a gathering with the explicit goal of peace on the waters, and chose to demand that the gathered rulers here fight your wars of conquest for you! Your actions here so far represent an insult to every man and woman in this room, and that I cannot abide.

This is a warning that I give to you out of courtesy and out of respect for our shared ancestors: Cease your meaningless derailment and discuss something that's relevant to the purpose of this gathering, or I shall expel you from this hall.

Besides, I wouldn't be so quick to use this as a platform for gathering support against the Salterri Imperium."

A faint smirk extends from Umajin's lips at that, breaking his previous deadpan expression.

"After all, they're invited too."

His piece spoken, the Khalif leans back in his seat at the large table that he'd had added to the room for this particular conference, so that each of the foreign leaders might be able to relax a bit.

He'd suspected that Woodwind might try to derail the conference into this particular debate, and had prepared some lines in advance. Only time would tell if Khan Dyamus would stick to the script, though.

"YOU WHAT!?"
    The Khan exploded, standing up from his chair, "You've invited those monsters here!? The Khan's fists clenched and his dark skin lightened as it stretched over his knuckles, when he spoke next his voice was icy, "My expansion into Aloren prevented their civil war and saw no lives lost. If this conference is ordained to sit around staring at coastlines and drawing lines in the water when an unknown and aggressive force has already shown willing to go beyond simple border defense and into acts of total war upon the very water we seek to discuss such as taking prisoners with no communique of trade for their return then I have no business here."

"I care about protecting lives, my expansion has spread my protection, my plans constitute a spread of safety, yours involve stagnating in your royal holes and waiting for something to come wipe out your people because you were unprepared. Will you deny they are a threat? Will you refuse to act together as familiar neighbors against these outsiders? Are you so complacent to sit around dreaming of peace you won't recognize the need for war?"

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

"YOU WHAT!?" The Khan exploded, standing up from his chair, "You've invited those monsters here!? ...If this conference is ordained to sit around staring at coastlines and drawing lines in the water when an unknown and aggressive force has already shown willing to go beyond simple border defense and into acts of total war upon the very water we seek to discuss such as taking prisoners with no communique of trade for their return then I have no business here."
    The young prince cleared his throat. "You must hold great love for your people, to speak such crimson words at the loss of but a few. Raaneka may be far from the threat of this Imperium, but we can see our neighbors well enough. The Jeweled Cities came with a massed fleet and we have heard no end of the tales of your own great armies, to say nothing of the others here assembled. What about the Imperium threatens you? The unknown? Such a foe is bested with curiosity, not with war."
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Kach´tu stood in room quietly. Today, he wore only simple clothes, without any decoration, so he can get to room almost unnoticed. He listened argument patiently, but only with big self-denial. He was used to diplomatic meetings with lizardfolk tribes, but he could see, that discusion is pointless.
    When silence filled room, he finally decided to speak up:
    "My fellow humanoidssss, asss ancient lizardfolk wisssdom says:" Time isss not ssssand." We have heared many interessssting accussssationsss, many ssstrong wordss. But thessse argumentsss are assss ussseful asss ssscreaming of monkey. Humansss maybe live one hundred yearsss, but my kind not. We have heard many vague wordssss about "free trade" and sssso on, but I believe that our hostssss have some concrete proposalssss. We would be pleassssed, if we could move from argumentssss to more constructive disssscussssionsss. Please keep in mind that live of my kind issss much shorter than yourssss, so we prefere to be direct.
    Assss for Ssssalterri Imperium we ssssee them assss threat, but for our people they are ssssame threat assss your pactssss. We don´t believe, that casssse of Ssssalterri Imperium can be ressssolved here. Assss another lizard wissssdom ssssayssss:" What one lizard wantssss, another lizard hatessss.
    Sssso let´ssss disssscusssss concrete propossssalssss about ssssea trade!"

Kach´tu said these words annoyed, thinking, that he maybe should stayed in Scla´ca.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

"Only a fool mistakes a desire for peace as weakness in war. The only 'aggressive force' I see in this room is you, Khan."

The Khalif waves his hand dismissively afterward, deciding that he'll just ignore Dyamus unless he causes enough of a ruckus that he can justifiably throw him out.

"In any case, the Lord of the Scla'ca is correct: Debating upon the Salterri now is meaningless, and we have actual important things to discuss. If anybody here wishes to declare war upon them, they can do that when the Salterri Ambassadors show up. If they show up."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

The Khan's outburst overrode Hazael's desire to speak to the leaders of Hrathan and the Jewelled Cities. That could be discussed later, now he had a bigger problem to deal with. What did his mother always say about diplomacy? Come to think of it... She hadn't said anything on the topic, he'd had to learn on the job.
    "Dyamus! By the spirits calm yourself!"
    A rather poorly placed demand for calm in retrospect...
    "Your expansion into Aloren was concerned primarily with your personal desire for glory, not the protection of its citizens or any other matter. Were you so concerned about them, you would have allowed their King to remain on his throne rather than as a court puppet to satisfy your own desire for justification. What lies do you plan for your next conquest?
    "We know nothing of the Salterri, and we would be wrong to presume we do. Think for but a moment and consider how you would respond to so many ships of unknown origin and purpose off your shores. But instead you label them as aggressors, subhuman monsters to be slaughtered, their homes destroyed and their lands taken. Don't think for a second that you can deceive as to your true purpose in this."

In order to calm himself, advice he had given to the Khan before probably enraging him further, Hazael sat back down in his chair and pulled a scroll, some ink and an eagle quill towards him and began writing. Finishing the first, he began on another, lengthier document.

Dragons!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    "Only a fool mistakes a desire for peace as weakness in war. The only 'aggressive force' I see in this room is you, Khan."

The Khalif waves his hand dismissively afterward, deciding that he'll just ignore Dyamus unless he causes enough of a ruckus that he can justifiably throw him out.

"In any case, the Lord of the Scla'ca is correct: Debating upon the Salterri now is meaningless, and we have actual important things to discuss. If anybody here wishes to declare war upon them, they can do that when the Salterri Ambassadors show up. If they show up."
    "Then you're as blind as you are weak Khalif," the Khan spat back, [COLOR="Red"]"If the brutal murder and capture of explorers with no attempt to communicate is considered non-aggressive clearly your schools have been teaching different definitions than the ones I know."

The Khan's outburst overrode Hazael's desire to speak to the leaders of Hrathan and the Jewelled Cities. That could be discussed later, now he had a bigger problem to deal with. What did his mother always say about diplomacy? Come to think of it... She hadn't said anything on the topic, he'd had to learn on the job.
    "Dyamus! By the spirits calm yourself!"
    A rather poorly placed demand for calm in retrospect...
    "Your expansion into Aloren was concerned primarily with your personal desire for glory, not the protection of its citizens or any other matter. Were you so concerned about them, you would have allowed their King to remain on his throne rather than as a court puppet to satisfy your own desire for justification. What lies do you plan for your next conquest?
    "We know nothing of the Salterri, and we would be wrong to presume we do. Think for but a moment and consider how you would respond to so many ships of unknown origin and purpose off your shores. But instead you label them as aggressors, subhuman monsters to be slaughtered, their homes destroyed and their lands taken. Don't think for a second that you can deceive as to your true purpose in this."

In order to calm himself, advice he had given to the Khan before probably enraging him further, Hazael sat back down in his chair and pulled a scroll, some ink and an eagle quill towards him and began writing. Finishing the first, he began on another, lengthier document.
    "You speak with firsthand knowledge, yet I don't believe you were there? Oh no, that's right, you were barricaded in with your Union members, keeping others out of your Union and subjugating natives in your expansionist quest. Do not speak of what you do not know Prince.

"But please, I am curious what weighs so important that we must ignore the invited murderers, please enlighten me oh wise Khalif."
    Last edited by QuintonBeck; 2014-02-19 at 01:14 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Prince Tikta leaned to the delegate next to him. "Ah," he said, touching the star tattoo on his face. "I have been wrong before. Perhaps the Khan holds greater love for his own pride than his people."

((Lord_Burch... are we seated together?))
    Last edited by Zap Dynamic; 2014-02-19 at 01:17 PM.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

King Hazael slammed both fists down onto the table, spilling a jar of black ink and one of red as a result, ruining the treaty he had begun to draft. When he spoke, his voice was very quiet
    "If we were within the borders of Ashenia, I would have you arrested.
    "You come to a conference held in good faith and for peaceful intentions and you insult our host and you insult me. Furthermore, you refuse me my proper title in so doing acted to degrade my Kingdom and its people.
    "May the spirits have mercy on your kin."

((The King and his son share their name. I suspect you didn't realise this when you said that, but I'm going to interpret that as the as the mortal insult it is considered in Ashenia.))
    Last edited by Elemental; 2014-02-19 at 01:30 PM.

Dragons!