New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 92425262728293031323334
Results 991 to 1,001 of 1001
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: OOTS #946 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    I tend not to get Star Wars references because I did not see the films as a child. My older brother is severely autistic and did not appreciate them. So on the basis of that I was never taken to the cinema. By the time I was old enough to go with friends they were not regularly in the cinema. I may have seen bits of them on TV but my Dad continuously channel hopped between all channels. I may rent them at some point but quite frankly I suspect they will never mean for me what they mean for other people of my generation.
    Give Star Wars & Empire a shot; you might be pleasantly surprised. Even ignoring the cultural aspects they are good films in their own right. My wife hadn't seen them when we'd started dating and was completely into Empire's story at the end. While she isn't a all-in fan now she was the one who had something signed by Anthony Daniels. It was a poster of C-3PO for libraries and she's a librarian, but still - I did not.

I'd only recommend Jedi if you did enjoy the first two though. It is also a good film overall, but as the end of a trilogy you have to care about the characters to really enjoy it.

2. - Top - End - #992

Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    Did Durkon's hatred of the undead come up again at any point in the story, or was it a one-strip gag? In #34 he gets a combat bonus because of how much he apparently hates orcs and goblinoids, but that never comes up again despite multiple conflicts with said races. I tend to categorise anything from the first hundred strips as Early Installment Weirdness unless there's a good reason not to.
    It's not EIW, it's just that Durkon was not aware of the bonus at the time. He clearly has not forgotten it since Roy reminded him, and has not seen the need to announce out loud a combat bonus that is, frankly, given his high level and magical weapons, redundant in the midst of battle, as he has it whether or not he says so out loud.

3. - Top - End - #993
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Smallest View Post
    It's not EIW, it's just that Durkon was not aware of the bonus at the time. He clearly has not forgotten it since Roy reminded him, and has not seen the need to announce out loud a combat bonus that is, frankly, given his high level and magical weapons, redundant in the midst of battle, as he has it whether or not he says so out loud.
    Rich told the joke. He doesn't need to tell that joke again. That's all.

4. - Top - End - #994
    Barbarian in the Playground

Really, High Priest? "No concern"?

You just jinxed it and doomed yourself.

5. - Top - End - #995
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I tend not to get Star Wars references because I did not see the films as a child. My older brother is severely autistic and did not appreciate them. So on the basis of that I was never taken to the cinema. By the time I was old enough to go with friends they were not regularly in the cinema. I may have seen bits of them on TV but my Dad continuously channel hopped between all channels. I may rent them at some point but quite frankly I suspect they will never mean for me what they mean for other people of my generation.
    I highly recommend seeing the Original Trilogy, and if you have the time (and patience for mediocre movies) Episodes II and III, preferably in the "Machete Order", where you watch Episodes II and III of the prequels between "Empire" and "Jedi".

I haven't said anything about the cliffhanger ending to Book Five yet, so I'll say a few things before the Forums get shut down for routine maintenance.

So Durkon's soul is a prisoner within his own Undead body, while the dark spirit of The High Priest of Hel is at the steering wheel. (As an aside: stop calling The High Priest by the nickname Durkula! The High Priest is an awesome appellation for a Vampire!) How much longer can The High Priest keep up the charade? Will Roy ever figure it out, or is his guilt and fond memories of Durkon going to keep him in the dark? What about Haley or V? As for Belkar, he doesn't know or suspect anything's wrong; he wants to stab The High Priest because that's what Belkar does: attack first, and maybe ask a question 100 strips later.

Is Hel planning to use the Snarl as part of her scheme, or is she planning something else? And if she is planning to use the Snarl, she is risking the wrath of all of the other gods, including The Dark One (who has his own plans for the Snarl). I wonder how long Hel has been planning this, since Durkon only became a Vampire a few hours ago. Maybe she's been aware of the same prophecy about Durkon from OtOoPCs and has been keeping an eye on him ever since. I guess we're going to have to wait a bit, since I don't think Hel will play her hand until her High Priest is in the Dwarven Homelands, at the earliest.

6. - Top - End - #996
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Tragak View Post

Are you secretly Ozymandias?
    Do the Mighty look upon your works, and despair?

7. - Top - End - #997
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Welcome back everyone!
    "Bwaha! I have deep-seated emotional problems! Die! Die! Die!"

"Hi, we're here to kill every one?" "Okay!"

>8< Spider Pride! >8<

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #998
    Titan in the Playground

smile Re: OOTS #946 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Amphiox View Post
    Do the Mighty look upon your works, and despair?
    I really enjoy the fact that for ten days after this was posted, nothing beside remained, and round the decay of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare, the lone and level sands stretched far away.

9. - Top - End - #999

RedKnightGirl

The "Original Trilogy" are kind of the every-story in space. There was another poster somewhere on the playground who generalized the story so that it could have literally been any story. Star Wars just gets a lot of attention because of the sci-fi elements and the timing of when it happened: right around when film franchises like Jaws were breaking into the scene. I would still say it's worth seeing if only so you get the jokes, references, and allusions.

The Anticipation of #947 is killing me. I know it's too much to expect it to be ready the second I wake up, but it's always the longest wait on the day of. I've been just staring at the picture of Durkon being thrown out of the temple on the Calendar for March. How fitting that the next comic (the first one after a major reveal) comes out on the last day of a month dedicated to the character of said reveal.

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Finaly the forum
    Is back i can say what i think about the new strip, well cant wait till new strip today never even guessed that wouled happen, what a buzz :D

11. - Top - End - #1001

So...the forums are back up, and it's the very day The Giant said strips will resume...so, T-minus I DON'T KNOW...but I'm waiting with proverbial bated breath! ^_^
    It doesn't matter what you CAN do--it matters what you WILL do.