New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Upcoming TABLE Code Changes

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Used to be even easier, though. For me at least. {table], then [/table], done. {table=head] for a header. Automatic column sizing. Automatic table resizing. No having to tell it how many or use two sets of tags for every single item. I don't need customization; I just need to be able to go "whack, done" and not have to worry about going back to tweak settings because my original calibrations were off.
    The new VBulletin version has a fancy editor that shows the table as a table. You use the button for the rows and columns like Zherog mentioned...and then you just click in cells and type. You won't even need to see the table BBcode to make a table.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

2. - Top - End - #62
    Banned

Note that using the Pifro class table generator and choosing PIFBB in the formatting drop-down will generate a table formatted in this way.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Used to be even easier, though. For me at least. [...] Automatic column sizing. Automatic table resizing. No having to tell it how many or use two sets of tags for every single item.
    You don't have to do any of those things. Just put [tr][td] at the start of the row, [/td][/tr] at the end, and use [/td][td] instead of |. Heck, it should render just fine if you leave out closing tags (other than [/table]), it's just considered bad form.

Is replacing
    Code:
    {table]
    A|B|C
    1|2|3
    [/table]
    with
    Code:
    {table]
    [tr][td]A[td]B[td]C
    [tr][td]1[td]2[td]3
    [/table]
    really that bad?
    Last edited by Prime32; 2014-02-21 at 02:33 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Is there an equivalent to the {colsp=X} tag in the new code?
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

5. - Top - End - #65
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    In HTML {td colsp=X} would accomplish this. No idea if that functionality would be supported on the new forum software.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Rawhide said "There won't be a way to span columns out of the gate" when I asked back on the first page.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Rawhide said "There won't be a way to span columns out of the gate" when I asked back on the first page.
    Thanks, I missed that.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Is replacing thing with other thing really that bad?
    Yup.

C'mon, how long have you known me? You shouldn't need to ask that question.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

I for one am pretty pleased at the timing of this update. I've been holding off on a handful of posts because I don't like the formatting of my current ones, so I was planning a complete formatting rewrite in the near future. This'll give me the kick to do it if I have to go over the tables anyway .
    My GitP Homebrew Signature
    My homebrew posts need fixing due to the board update. I've done rewrites of half but going to finish the rest before posting.
    My Homebrew System progress blog
    In which I post ocassional updates about the sci-fi tabletop system I've worked on since March 2013

10. - Top - End - #70
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Automatic column sizing. Automatic table resizing.
    These are not going away.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

11. - Top - End - #71
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    I am curious, could you tell us some of the non-table related benefits coming from the forum switch? I assume there are new features that you believe will be more popular, or some other benefits to justify making the upgrade. I think it'd help if instead of "All your tables are broken" we got to hear some of the positive things coming up. Or is there already another topic with something like that that I haven't seen?
    I can only address this in broad non-technical terms, but here are some of the features that we expect be enabled (assuming no more technical hitches):

• The ability to hide the website content sidebar indefinitely, rather than just temporarily.
    • Integration with my Twitter feed, so you can see things I tweet without having to have a Twitter account or go to Twitter.com. (Also able to be hidden, in case you don't care.)
    • Thread prefixes, with each subforum having a list of 0-8 prefix categories (like "3.5 Class" or "Contest" for the Homebrew forum) that append colored labels before the thread title, allowing you to easily see the topics that interest you.
    • Thread tagging, allowing you to tag your threads with up to 25 relevant tags for searching and for inclusion in the…
    • Tag cloud, for finding threads with related topics. (Again, able to be hidden.)
    • For that matter, the Search function will return, allowing you to, you know, search again. Maybe not the day the new forums go live, but shortly thereafter.
    • Polls will be back, too, I think. Actually, I need to check with Rawhide on that one, but I think so.
    • A mobile-friendly theme, letting you browse the forums on your smartphone much more easily.
    • Probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.

It is also necessary for one or two functions that will hopefully be opened up at a later point that I'm deliberately keeping under my proverbial hat.

So, yeah, a lot of new features. And keep in mind that the decision to switch was made months ago, and we didn't know about the TABLE incompatibility until around December. So by the time it was clear that they absolutely positively wouldn't work together, we were already knee-deep in the switch. That's why we're concentrating on getting the new forums up and running, and any tweaking of the TABLE functions won't happen until later.

Bottom line is that I made the decision that the benefits outweigh this one problem.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

12. - Top - End - #72

Thanks, Giant!

I figure we'll adapt to the changes, but it is good to hear more about the positive features the change will bring. Lots of stuff there sounds great (especially the tagging, and the mobile theme. I've tried accessing the forums here from my phone a few times, and yeah.. it's kind of painful). I'm looking forward to it.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    [*]Polls will be back, too, I think. Actually, I need to check with Rawhide on that one, but I think so.
    If this is true, then you have made my day. No, week. No, year possibly, as this will be INVAULABLE to the Stick Awards that I've been running the last few months.

Much easier to get people's opinions anonymously than having them post in the thread.

So so so looking forward to this if it happens!

*makes buttery pweeeeeeeese eyes at Rawhide*
    Last edited by Porthos; 2014-02-22 at 05:47 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

• Thread prefixes, with each subforum having a list of 0-8 prefix categories (like "3.5 Class" or "Contest" for the Homebrew forum) that append colored labels before the thread title, allowing you to easily see the topics that interest you.
    • Thread tagging, allowing you to tag your threads with up to 25 relevant tags for searching and for inclusion in the…
    • Tag cloud, for finding threads with related topics. (Again, able to be hidden.)
    The categorisation nut in me just did a small excitement squeal.

Further question - will the new board support any form of independently developed user plugins? Say if I wanted to be automatically notified to replies to my post (e.g. being quoted) or threads I create (without subscribing to the thread).

Somebody please kick me if either thing is already possible and I've not noticed.
    Last edited by Newwby; 2014-02-22 at 07:11 PM.
    My homebrew posts need fixing due to the board update. I've done rewrites of half but going to finish the rest before posting.
    In which I post ocassional updates about the sci-fi tabletop system I've worked on since March 2013

15. - Top - End - #75
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Newwby View Post
    Further question - will the new board support any form of independently developed user plugins? Say if I wanted to be automatically notified to replies to my post (e.g. being quoted) or threads I create (without subscribing to the thread).
    No idea. Like I said, I don't know or understand the technical stuff.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

16. - Top - End - #76
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Newwby View Post

Somebody please kick me if either thing is already possible and I've not noticed.
    User-side plugins cannot feasibly* do things of that nature. For that sort of thing, it has to be on the server side, which means even if you found an appropriate addon it would have to be investigated and added by Rawhide.

* The only way a user-side plugin could do these things is by regularly polling the server and analyzing the return, which would add a lot of server load in addition to being difficult to properly implement.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

• For that matter, the Search function will return, allowing you to, you know, search again. Maybe not the day the new forums go live, but shortly thereafter.
    Oh goodness. So much excite I can't even grammar!
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

18. - Top - End - #78

Those sound like great changes. I know I definitely will like the twitter feed part (since I don't have a twitter, but want to see OOTS-related stuff), and the polls, and the search, and probably the thread tags.
    Last edited by 137beth; 2014-02-22 at 10:55 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    User-side plugins cannot feasibly* do things of that nature. For that sort of thing, it has to be on the server side, which means even if you found an appropriate addon it would have to be investigated and added by Rawhide.

* The only way a user-side plugin could do these things is by regularly polling the server and analyzing the return, which would add a lot of server load in addition to being difficult to properly implement.
    Apologies I really should have realised that when I wrote it (going to blame tiredness as I haven't slept in some 36 hours atm) - I was just trying to quickly think up a feature I might enjoy as an example.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Bugbear in the Playground

An in-forum search function is a huge improvement over reliance on Google. This is great news.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Colossus in the Playground

Thank you so much, giant! Especially the mobile friendly feature!

22. - Top - End - #82

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Thank you so much, giant! Especially the mobile friendly feature!
    I wouldn't say it's exactly friendly, not yet anyway . But we're working on making it better as we speak!

---

Probably the best feature, though, is that it auto-saves unfinished posts so that you can recover them in the event of a crash.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

23. - Top - End - #83
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Probably the best feature, though, is that it auto-saves unfinished posts so that you can recover them in the event of a crash.
    If you mean saves on the server, that sounds like it would generate a huge amount of server load. If you mean saves on the client, I don't know how you'd accomplish that without it being part of the browser - and I know some browsers do have it as officially part of the browser already, so I have to wonder if that browser feature somehow got mis-attributed to the forum server software.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

24. - Top - End - #84

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    If you mean saves on the server, that sounds like it would generate a huge amount of server load. If you mean saves on the client, I don't know how you'd accomplish that without it being part of the browser - and I know some browsers do have it as officially part of the browser already, so I have to wonder if that browser feature somehow got mis-attributed to the forum server software.
    Spoiler
    Show

(Ignore the slightly misaligned icons for strikethrough and spoiler, already fixed for final version.)

It's a feature of the board software, it uses HTML5 LocalStorage.

25. - Top - End - #85

Here are a few images of tables made by various staff in testing.

This is the popup surface used to make creating a table easy:
    Spoiler
    Show

This is a very simple table created using class: outer_border, width: 500, and align: center. Actual code used: table="width: 500, class: outer_border, align: center"
    Spoiler
    Show

Another simple table, this time created with no class (or any other options), which means that all the cell borders of normal cells will have no lines. TH was used to make the header cells.
    Spoiler
    Show

Nothing fancy here, this table shows off the grid class. Code used: table="width: 500, class: grid, align: center"
    Spoiler
    Show

I personally think that the gridlines are too thick. I may modify the CSS for this table to thin the gridlines, and create a new CSS with the thick gridlines for people who want them. Or, I might keep them the same and make the thin gridlines a new CSS.

Here's an example of where I will be modifying the CSS. As you can see, the default CSS makes the header cells less pronounced in this instance than the normal ones. Code used: table="width: 500, class: grid"
    Spoiler
    Show

Demonstrating that certain complex formatting features work flawlessly within tables:
    Spoiler
    Show

A table created with no class, thus no gridlines:
    Spoiler
    Show

*No, I don't know what thurst is either. But the fact that the U and I keys are right next to each other might explain it.

This next one will probably get a lot of people salivating. Created with no class (unless you count the fact that it is one) and with "TH" header cells for the top row. Colour was set outside the table. No options set for TABLE at all.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

I am loving the improvements to table. So much flexibility eeeeee! *bounces around happily*
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

27. - Top - End - #87

Will you be modifying the CSS to make the tables look more like they do now(ie dark header, alternating row colors, matching the forum's color scheme)? Alternatively, are those properties something we will be able to modify ourselves?

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    We investigated doing a full find and replace for tables. It was impossible without ruining posts without tables and elements of the post outside of tables.
    If you guys are able to search by regular expressions on the site (which I can write a small program to do, if needed), you can find/replace table syntax without messing up other posts.
    Last edited by Cheesy74; 2014-02-23 at 05:40 PM.
    HOMEBREW
    The Phase Dancer - A spellsword who has learned to use teleportation to stab people.
    The Stalwart - An unarmed, unarmored wall of muscle that fights with surges of strength and massive combat maneuver combos.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesy74 View Post
    If you guys are able to search by regular expressions on the site
    Running regexen over the entirety of the post database? Yeahhhh, I'm gonna take a wild guess and say "that would probably take longer than rebuilding the search index."
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

30. - Top - End - #90

Quote Originally Posted by TuggyNE View Post
    Running regexen over the entirety of the post database? Yeahhhh, I'm gonna take a wild guess and say "that would probably take longer than rebuilding the search index."
    I'd guess it's a similar amount of time, but yeah totally not worth doubling the downtime from the transition.