A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default [Empire!] The Bestiary of Telluris

The Bestiary of Telluris
    A Compendium of the creatures and races that inhabit the setting of Empire!

Instructions for Players of Empire!:

Players can submit animals from their nations into the collective of the book as if they were speaking to one of the explorers who is documenting the various animals. So, basically, this is a roleplay for people to describe their creatures and an interaction that they have, and its up to me to not only respond to your roleplaying, but also document the events into an entry about the creature. Races will be a little different. I'll need age limits, general qualities, special features, and so on, and you can describe them in your descriptions of the people you encounter. Note: You will not be providing me with the entries of the creatures and such, just the information. Let's focus more on the different ways my explorers might interact with the subjects of the book!
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2014-02-21 at 10:19 AM.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Empire!] The Bestiary of Telluris

Races Entries

Berapi (Frost, Fire, Water)
    Beregines (Half Dwarf/Half Water Berapi)
    Cloudiz (Fae)
    Dwarf
    Elves (Gem, Ore and Moss)
    Goblins
    Half-Dwarf
    Human
    Lizardfolk
    Mawa
    Merfolk
    Quill
    Ratfolk
    Vampire/Werewolves
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2014-04-15 at 01:28 PM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Creatures Entries

Bats
    Basilisks
    Bears
    Bees
    Boar (Dire)
    Cows
    Cows (Dairy)
    Elephants
    Ermine
    Fish
    Goats
    Griffons
    Horses (Ashenia, Razdis, Lyradis)
    Insects (Huge)
    Mammoths
    Pheonixes
    Pistol Shrimp (Huge)
    Rhinos
    Rhinos (Wooly)
    Sable
    Sabertooth Tiger
    Sheep
    Sheep (Plant Variety)
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2014-04-15 at 01:27 PM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Lets get another up just in case.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Other entries can now be added below.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The Exploerer approaches an Orc tending To his hives."Hello good sir I see you are taking an intrest in my Hives. You Sir are in Luck for to day they are waking from Hibernation."
    A few Bees buzz out of the Hive.
    This buteful yellow an black bees are only about an inch long counting there stinger. The workers an males tend to live only 2 to 3 years while the queen can give birth up to 40 years. Oh the honey you ask we harvest it the last month of Summer.
    "What is it that they eat" "well that sir is easy only the nectar of the sweetest flower."The Explorer is sent on his way.You must go now good sir for I have much work to do"

A note on the dangerous animals of Grmanhil.

Spoiler
    Show
    It is with sadness I right your Exploerer has meet the fate of being attacked by Gornum Wolfs. All we found of him was his notes on our bees and his mauled head. It is not advised to travel in this land alone or even in groups less than six for the Gornum Wolf is Three times the size of a man and they travel in packs.There fur is black to dark brown an before they attack they make a defining howl. I will send The remains of the body an the Notes with Him. I would also invite your Lordship to hunt this Beast with me an my captains. Chieftain Orgnar Bangboom.

Explores notes on the Orcs
    Spoiler
    Show
    People: The people of the Grmanhil are Orcish. Skin tones are green to gray. They are most commonly the hight of a man but more muscular. Eye color range widely. Men do not have any Hair but Femals have black hair they keep braided. Grmanhil Warriors Favore large Two handed weapons.Do not let there brutish appetinc fool you they have a love of art and poetry. In fact most of there history an legends have been recorded as Epic poems that are recorded on sheep skins. They also hold the bee as a sacred as well as mead to kill a bee will bring you death in there presence.
    Law most personnel disputes are Settled by Duel with a dagger called a stinger. It's blade is a spike shaped dipped in a paralyzing poison. People here wear wool clothing women wear dresses and men wear kilts most common colors are white,black,yellow,red and brown
    Last edited by Slayerofundead; 2014-02-21 at 09:48 PM.

The Orcs are coming, the Orcs are coming.
    The Orcs are here to play.

Sir Rikkan
    https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2346021

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

A small horsehide vellum scroll, entitled: "The peoples and fauna of Razdis, excluding goblins".

Spoiler
    Show
    Razdis bestiary:

Sophonts, ordered by size of population:
    Razdissi Dwarves (aka Grey Dwarves):
    These are humanoids, averaging just over a head shorter than the average sized human. Their skin is generally a shade of grey, tending towards lighter tones. Their hair is either coal-black, iron-grey or rust-red, and very thick. Beards are worn by males, and hair is worn long by both sexes. Their eyes are black, orange or blue with no discernible pupils. Razdissi can see very well in the dark, able to cope in complete darkness. They are solidly built, capable of withstanding blows that would kill or maim another species.
    Half-dwarves (Razdissi):
    Crossbreeds of (usually) Lyradisian human and Razdissi dwarf. They tend more towards the human parent in height, being only an inch or so shorter on average. They are fertile, and can breed amongst each other to create half-dwarves. Their hair is nearly always thick and mineral-like in colour, but only about half the population have Razdissi skin and eye tones. Their eyesight in the dark is practically the same as the full-blooded Razdissi.

Animals:
    Razdissi horse:
    A small breed of horse, slow but sure-footed. Their course coat is typically black or grey, as is the mane. They have greater darkvision than other breeds, and panic less in confined spaces.
    Awl bugs:
    This is a collective term for several varieties of grey insect, all around the size of a clenched human fist, similar to scarab beetles in appearance. Awl bugs are found primarily in the south-western tunnels, near Andbar's Forest. They earn their name by creating thin, winding tunnels through solid rock, by means of a potent digestive acid secreted in the mandibles. Some predatory varieties burrow in an attempt to locate other varieties of Awl bug, whilst the herbivorous insects search for pockets of rotted fungal matter. Giant versions exist, normally of the predatory type. They may be related to the Kasumor insects. Sometimes several of these giants group together and assault an outlying tunnel settlement. Underfoot Warrior style is of use to the Razdissi at these occasions.
    Tunnel wolf (possibly apocryphal):
    Allegedly a small quadruped, similar to a wolf with black fur and no eyes. These beasts are generally used as scapegoats for all that goes wrong in a mine, such as tools being misplaced or firedamp being undetected. Probably a myth.
    Fungus grazer:
    Man-sized (but taller) tripodal grey boar-shaped creature, with six small red eyes arranged in a ring around the head. The three tall almost stilt-like legs look too thin for the body. Grazes on fungus around Andbar's Forest.
    Bats:
    Many species of bats live within Razdis; some are herbivorous, consumingthe fungi in Andbar's forest. Some scavenge, adapting to become ground-dwelling and nearly quadrupedal, along with becoming wolf-sized. Some are small carnivores, and swoop on the herbivores and insects.

The account of Mëri Oldminer, also known as Mëri the Maimed or Mistress Steelarm:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Account of Mëri Oldminer, explorer of Razdis.

Mighty king,
    As you may well know, it was decided by those above me in station that, as I have Razdissi heritage, I should be sent to survey the fauna of Razdis. As I am currently writing with my left hand due to the unfortunate loss of the right, this may have been an error. But I digress. Herein I describe my encounters with the fauna of the caves:

Razdissi horses:
    These I travelled to Razdis on. They are slightly too near the ground for a woman of my stature, but they are dependable and steady beasts, not easily startled. Little can be said about them that is not already known.

Awl bugs:
    A particularly nasty breed of vermin. The little insects are just pests, burrowing out of the walls if you make too much noise or leave food unattended. Their larger brethren, possibly crossbred with the Kasumorian giant insects, are a different manner. As my caravan travelled to Andbar's Forest, where most of Razdis's wildlife dwells, we were ambushed by a group of the things. My Grey Dwarven guards beat them back with steel blades and fire, but one of the brutes took my right hand to the elbow. I now possess a steel prosthetic, which was made by the smiths of Lunderbog. I hope your royal highness will accept the copious bill.

Tunnel wolf:
    One of my guards swore that she'd seen one when she was a girl, but I uncovered no further evidence for their existence. They're supposed to be little black dog sprites with no eyes and a malicious sense of humour.

Fungus grazer and scavenger bats:
    I was lucky enough to participate in a hunt for Fungus Grazers during my time in Andbar's Forest. Several dwarves mounted upon Razdissi horses (apparently the breed see in the dark as well as the dwarves) use either a particularly wide bolas or slashing polearms to bring down the things, then close in with rather unpleasant-looking serrated knives to butcher the Grazer. This has to be done quickly, or packs of wolf-sized scavenger bats will take the corpse. The scavenger bats are horrible; the wings have changed into thin flaps, and the arms have become grotesque front legs, tipped with slashing claws. Thankfully the monstrosities have low morale in small groups, or I might have lost another limb.

Your faithful servant,
    Mëri Oldminer.
    Last edited by Silverbit; 2014-02-21 at 07:49 PM.
    I'm also on the Bay12 Games forums under the same username.

The awesome Ceika made both my avatars! All hail!
    Spoiler: Former avatar
    Show

Currently playing the parched and honourable Rabhid Dynasty in Empire2!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

While the researcher is traveling across Kasumor, he arrives in Vrevral, where he sees a insect trainer working with a young mantid, persuading it to do certain acties with the reward of dried fish jerky. He appears to be teaching the mantid to wear a saddle. When the mantid accepts the meat, the trainer seems to notice you. He brings the mantid to its cage, then beckons you closer. "Konichiwa stranger, can I be of assistance? As long as it is about stealing the taming process." He winks at the researcher and then listens to his request. "Information about the buggies themselves huh? Well sure." He sits down on a nearby tree log and starts talking. "Well, you have quite a few different species of giant insect. You have the Mantids, Dragonflies, Hercules Beetles, Bombadier Beetles and the aquatic Water Scorpion. There are more, however they are not bred intensivly and most often used for food for the bigger bugs." He produces a piece of parchment out one of his pockets and starts scribbling. "Here, some small facts about our prices bug friends. I hope this is satisfactory." The researcher looks at the parchment and starts reading:

"All measurements are average mate, I think that much is clear."

Mantid

Length: 3 meters

Height: 2.5 meters

Diet: Carnivorous

Lifespan: 15 years

Ecology:

Dragonfly

Length: 6 meters

Wingspan: 12 meters

Diet: Carnivorous

Lifespan: 10 years

Ecology:

Hercules Beetle

Length: 5 meters

Heigth: 3 meters

Diet: Herbivorous

Lifespan: 20 years

Ecology:

Bombadier Beetle

Length: 4 meters

Heigth: 2 meters

Lifespan: 15 years

Ecology:

Water Scorpion

Length: 6 meters

Heigth: 1.5 meters

Lifespan: 10 years

Ecology:
    Last edited by WaylanderX; 2014-02-21 at 08:00 PM.
    A swordmaster never backs off, I'll cut you to ribbons with my almighty sabre! CHAOS DANCE!!

Nyllana OotS Avatar by Lord FullBladder, Master of Goblins!

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here
    My Extended Homebrew Sig!

Currently writing a fantasy novel: The Dawn of Life!
    People willing to provide feedback are appreciated

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Hearsay regarding the
    Raaneki
    The Painted Folk

Spoiler
    Show
    Lifespan
    “My grandma knew all the oldest tavern tales. She knew sixty seven summers before her death.”

"A poor lad of eight. He died young, like so many others."

Height
    “At 6 feet and over 200 pounds, Bar was one of the largest of the Raaneki.”

“Such a slip of a woman! Barely 5 feet tall, and just 100 pounds.”

Temperament
    “No one holds revelry like Utsava! Nooks for the lovers, gardens for the languid, and courtyards for the brawlers. A true Raaneki!”

“Watch out for Krodhi’s moods, with the yellow dye and angry black godana. Looks like a hornet… she is well-painted!”

Foods
    "Don't go to Raaneka if you're not fond of bird meat. Not a cow to be seen, and they've no taste for horse."

"Once, I stayed with the Raaneki during my travels. They had wine from every season of every year. Wine for celebration. Wine for prayer. Wine for mourning. A thousand different wines, and each as fine as the last!"

Eye, Hair, and Skin Color
    “Princess Anguri Adite’s blue eyes flashed with disdain as she tossed her long braids, red as an apple from the day she was born. Her dye was mottled, purple-black like winter wine and blue as a clear sky. Cloudy white tattoos curled up her legs, chest, and arms.”

“Prince Tikta Satato’s skin was a pleasant light brown, but not from the sun’s warmth. He had dyed it to blend with his simple black tattoos. His natural paleness could still be seen, however, from his white blonde hair.”

Cultural Patterns
    Transactions:
    “I have need of a new wagon, friend.”
    “I would build one if we might share your Patari Summer 342 once I am done.”
    “A fair vintage for such a deed. It will bring us stirring conversation.”

“We should work the vineyards again this season. That would merit the Surian Spring 354 after harvest.”
    “A succulent vintage. Are you scheming us into your quarters again?”

Adulthood:
    “May it be known that, upon his sixteenth year, Prince Ujval Devdano chose the path of leadership after five days of deliberation. He wished for radiance like the dawn upon the sea, and wisdom like wine at dusk. His first godana was a purple cuff woven of intricate vines around one wrist in memory of this wish. He elected not to dye himself at the time, but chose to dye his limbs deep green to the shoulder upon his twentieth year.”

“May it be known that, upon her sixteenth year, Princess Anguri Adite chose the path of leadership at the ceremony and married Krama, a warrior, just after. She cited a spirit as fierce in determination as her own, and her mother and father blessed her. Her first godana was white, cloudy wisps blossoming around her face, in fellowship with her Cousins in the Jeweled Cities. She chose dye as dark purple dye to cover her entire body. Krama, a dark haired man of eighteen with red tattoos, chose white dye to cover his entire body.”

Living Arrangements
    “She is too focused on her craft. She will drive both her men to other lovers!”

“The meal is done, the wine is drunk, and we have basked in the warmth of family. Go, Tikta, retire to the suite of your fellows! Make merry til the world’s end! We go to the family suite, where Jura and Anguri are waiting. We love you. Goodnight.”
    Last edited by Zap Dynamic; 2014-02-22 at 11:19 AM.
    Avatar by the wonderful and talented Ceika!
    Playing:

Past Faves: The Blackwood | Raaneka | Cachimba

My DeviantArt.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Appearance
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Berunda is a royal fowl, and is armed more with boldness than with talons. It is gentle, content to forage for fruits and seeds and small mountain birds, but can be most dire in its wrath. Gold is its plumage, with a red crown atop its head. Like dark wine are the tips of its wings. Its tail is a wide fan of long feathers, glittering in each of the rainbow’s hues. They whip and curl in the slightest breeze, and can spark great flame when struck together. In size, the berunda measures just over twelve feet from beak to tail, with a wingspan just under twelve feet. The flight of the berunda is a flash of loops and dives, spurred by the waving of its great tail.

Qualities
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is said that berundas are born from the miracle pools of the Mountains of Dis, which gives them their great size and vibrant raiment. They eat fruits from the mountain trees, but must be wary of the elusive mountain cat, their most mortal foe. They also feast upon starlings, those devourers of seed, and so prove to be a great boon for all wine growers. In both these endeavors, the agility and flames of the berunda in flight are a great advantage. Flame propels them from the mountain cat most swiftly, and scorches the starlings from the sky in the midst of their flock. Peerless agility evades the mountain cat’s claws, but also outmaneuvers the starlings as they flee.

As a Mount
    Spoiler
    Show
    +1 Aerial Military Unit
    Those Raaneki brave and true enough to take berunda in reins and mount upon the heavens are the greatest of our people, worthy of much glory and libation. They crouch upon the berunda’s back just before the wings, guiding its course in daring attack. Most nimble of mind and body are they, ready to command the berunda to turn its terrible flame burst upon our enemies. To strafe and strike is the way of the Raaneki Berunda, to cause terrible harm and to disappear amid slings and arrows all.

In truth, the berunda seems too small a beast to bear a rider through the skies, but the fires of its tail propel it sure and strong. Still, riders must needs travel light, for to bear pack and provision would be too much a strain upon the berunda. Riders wear armor of silk and leather, and carry weapons only in case they are deprived of their berunda in the heat of battle.
    Last edited by Zap Dynamic; 2014-04-09 at 02:04 PM.
    Avatar by the wonderful and talented Ceika!
    Playing:

Past Faves: The Blackwood | Raaneka | Cachimba

My DeviantArt.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

An Empirical Study of the Native Peoples of Telluris
    Sojourner Faeywal of The Enclave of Existence in Aloren

I have devoted the past 10 years of my life to the collection and study of the mysterious Kobolds native to my homeland of Aloren. Originally a member of a team tasked with investigating and understanding the Kobold sightings my interest in the diverse races has only grown as time has gone on. With progress being made in the investigation of the Kobolds I find more time freed to pursue my own passions and it is the desire of this Scholar to focus instead on the known races of our world and attempt in some way to catalog current data collected by other students of life.
    Of course, my first destination was Lyradis, they themselves owning the great Bestiary that hold similar goals as my own, and while I had found the local scholars charged with its protection knowledgeable and helpful there was much that was still not known. Thus I set out to travel the lands of Telluris and catalog what is seen and known of the mortal races.

First Missive: An Overview of the Racial Demographics and Locations as Generally Understood
    I write from the road, my destination the Blazing Temple, it is my hope that the monks may have scrolls or tomes detailing ancient demographic layouts as well as possibly histories that local nations may have lost. It is my understanding that the monks are currently experiencing a conflict of faith of some sort, I only hope it does not interfere with my research. In any event I have begun to sketch in my understandings of racial distributions and demographics on a world map I had brought with me from the Enclave. Having it should help me establish an idea on where to focus investigations on racial origins and areas of significant concentration.

Spoiler
    Show

Red Regions Represent native Humans
    Golden regions represent native Berapi
    Green regions represent native Lizardfolk
    Light Blue regions represent native Fey Blooded Humans or Fey
    Brown-Orange regions represent native Mawa
    Dark Blue Regions represent native Goblins
    Pink-Violet Regions represent native Tekorvans or other Half Giants
    Dark Grey Regions represent native Ratfolk populations
    Indigo Regions represent native Dwarven populations
    Violet Regions represent native Orcish populations
    Grey Regions represent native Catfolk populations

For Under Regions I have decided to list known under regions and their most populous race as I do not yet have a map of their layout, though Farwalker Tyuvar assures me Scholars are working to complete one.
    Bereginia (2B) - Believed to be Dwarves, further investigation needed
    Eyrecradia (5B) - A variety of mineral based elves, research has suggested a possible ancestral connection to the more prolific dwarves.
    Razdis (13B) - Heavy Dwarven populace
    Elbaraz (14B) - Mix of Half Dwarves, Dwarves, Adapted Humans, and Goblins
    Keldagrim (15B) - Dwarven populace
    Yorukun (17B) - Native Yorukun populace (Note: Research indicates a trove of knowledge held here, investigate)
    Under-Sympol (18B) - Unknown Local trends would suggest some species of Yorukun or Dwarves
    Under-Bordeux (20B) - Unknown Local trends might suggest Dwarves

It can be perhaps inferred that Lizardfolk originated somewhere in the crescent of the Central Sea based on evidence of their current positions but their origin will need to be investigated.
    Berapi seem to have an affinity for northern areas though further investigation will be needed to discover from which area of the world they originated.
    Fey blood plays a strong part in the central area, and from my readings of Kasumor history texts there may have once been a fey power that ruled these lands thus explaining the presence of this blood. Goblins make up a small portion of the population, and histories report their living in relative squalor in Elbaraz as well as in Zargrim before their absorption into the Hurosha Empire. Detailing behind their origins may be difficult to acquire.
    Beastfolk seem most prominent around the northern tip of the eastern sea, further investigation is needed but this scholar speculates a possible connection to the fey blood prevalent to their south considering the animalistic qualities inherent in the fey blooded.
    Dwarves are perhaps the most perplexing, as they seem spread out across the known world but there is much distance between one Dwarven hold and the next. It is my hope the long lived Dwarves may have answers to my questions as to why.
    Mawa are a local exception in the largely human dominated southern half of the central continent and most certainly prompt further inquiry.
    The same might be said of the Orcs, who's origins are certainly puzzling. This scholar suspects possible migration from the east or south.
    Ah yes, the Yorukun, perhaps after my trip to the temple I might venture to their great lands. Stories tell of their rich history and they speak of a proud and ancient race. It is my hopes I might discover more from these people as well as see further what differentiates Tekorvans from the prevalent humans aside from their massive height.
    Last edited by QuintonBeck; 2014-04-09 at 01:29 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Speculations on the Possibility of A Lost Fae Kingdom

My journey to the Blazing Temple proved surprisingly enlightening, though not due to any profound religious awakening but due to the somewhat extensive records still having been stored there. When I arrived I was greeted by an older gentleman who looked for the life of me to be a Woodwind native, though how he got here I haven't a clue. He seemed intent to become friends but when I explained I was there only in an academic capacity and had no desire to discuss philosophy he dropped the friendly overtures and took me to the local leader, a Brother Adam, who leads the Temple while their Avatar is yet absent. The Brother seemed a reasonable sort and I was given limited access to non-sensitive material that had been collected by the Temple over its years. It was marvelous. They had documents dating back over 400 years ago, never have I seen records in any organized capacity from before the Cataclysm yet here they sat, gathering dust in the catacombs of some temple for zealots on a mountain. This kind of thing belongs in a museum, not here locked away, but I digress.

From my readings I gathered that the Temple's influence was strongest to the north and west and thus most of their records focused on this region, one name in particular continued to arise however that piqued my interest, "Faedas." This "Faedas" seemed to be a mighty Empire during these ancient times ruled by Fae that stretched wide across the northern-center of the central continent and even onto the coasts of the eastern and western continents. The records mentioned little of specifics but it prompted my further investigation.

I came to Kasumor first, center of the Hurosha Empire, a new entity dominated by fae blooded humans. Records here flowed openly once I identified myself as a man from the Aloren Province in Ignato and they revealed much. It seems here actual records exist of a great nation lead by the "Cloudiz" race, an airborne semi-aquatic fae, and that they once stretched far across the land. The records I found here pointed to the east and west from the heart of Kasumor.

My next stop was the Heartwaste, a war torn land dominated by fae born, much as Kasumor. However, these fae are not related to the Cloudiz of Kasumor but rather bear features that put me in mind of the native fae blooded humans of Nyroth Province back home. In fact, nocturnal patterns seem as present here as they do in Nyroth and the eerily similar pale skin and light hair may indicate a connection. While records here were either non existent or classified there was one event of note that I bring my attention to. It appears some portion of this population are however slightly wolf-blooded. Were-wolves who appear normal at times but are capable of taking a form reminiscent of man hybridized with wolf. Could this strain of fae blood perhaps be the origin of the various beastfolk to the north east? And how is it that this fae influence might express itself in such unique yet identifiable ways? Fine features seem to be indicative of some fae blood, pale skin as well, often with some connection to pseudo natural forces or abilities. No doubt the metaphysicists at the Enclave would have a field day exploring the mundane tasks such races could accomplish.

In any event the Heartwastes proved largely fruitless in regards to written histories, many having been lost in the bloodfire accident some years back. However, the werewolves had piqued my interest and I set to travel north east. As it would happen I passed through Zargrim (having been too far south to cross through in my journey from the Temple) and issue arose in my speculations. The goblinfolk. If this speculative fae empire was resonsible or somehow connected to the beastfolk of the east, how was it that the goblins, so long impoverished and forgotten, had been between them? This thought caused me to halt further journey. It was after all, an opportunity to find out what I could while here. I met with a goblin elder who I was referred to by the locals, and though he spoke in the strange dialect of the goblins, my time at the Enclave repaid itself and I was able to understand his recounting.

According to goblin myth and legend their people were once slaves to a great empire, forced to work as laborers beneath the earth, but at some indeterminate time in history the empire destroyed itself in civil war and the great eel spirit came to the goblins, leading them to rebel and guiding their greatest inventors in the construction of their hovercrafts. If this is true, even moderately, it may explain the continued struggle faced by the Hurosha Empire in absorbing Zargrim. Their entire tradition and life had been built out of being a recovering slave race, but even more interesting was their mention of civil war. Perhaps the varying expressions of fae blood are indicative of varying sides to this fae empire. Still, it did not explain the nature of the beastfolk. Further investigation was needed.

Sympol, what a bloody state. No records to be found here, not surprisingly, not even a kindly elder to recount stories. No, these are an aggressive people, borne of blood and fire and iron. I had nearly given up hope and prepared to make a stop over in Sanctuary to see if the fleeing Yorukun had left any records behind in the hands of the Tekorvans when an act of violence in the street caught my eye. But it was not an act of violence, it was a drama. A play being put on, the chittering crowd and stomping feet offered an atmosphere I myself would not associate with a play, but it seemed a dramatic reenactment nonetheless. I will recount here what I transcribed in my notebook as the dialogue and actions of the minor drama.

"Born of blood and fire, the Sympol rose to crush all who oppose!"

"Sympol rule is dire, no fur no glory it shall be gory!"

"From ancient times, to modern age boiling blood is filled with rage!

From there the performers proceeded to reenact the casting out of Duke Ironfang by his father and his return to the Castle and the gory taking of the throne, they then repeated the lines transcribed and began a tale regarding a mad old Sympol sitting on eggs that had the crowd chittering with laughter I did not stay to watch any further. I sit now in my room musing these first lines. Why repeat them even before a comedy? What significance could they hold? I hope perhaps the Yorukun libraries, if they still exist, may hold more enlightening knowledge.
    Last edited by QuintonBeck; 2014-04-04 at 11:36 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Faedas & Other Speculative Ancient Kingdoms

The Yorukuni libraries were, in disarray, to say the least. Political tensions are running high since the disappearance of the Yorukun aristocracy and the Tekorvans are having much conflict in retaining and organizing their fractured kingdom. Perhaps this was for the best for me however as it allowed me somewhat unrestricted access to Yorukun scripts, though perhaps not as unrestricted as the Tekorvans would have liked... Nevertheless I believe I have found many answers to questions I had raised previously. It seems the kingdom referred to as Faedas in the Blazing Temple tomes went by another name, unpronounceable in the common tongue, among the Yorukun. It was a topside kingdom that rivaled their own Ancient Underground Fiefdom and they had many notes on their interactions. From what I could gather from the winding and often confusing Yorukun texts Faedas, as I shall refer to it, was a dual kingdom, ruled by two sects of fae. One, reminiscent of those now residing in the Heartwastes (and with many similarities that may mark a connection to the Berapi) and believed by this scholar to be present in Nyroth blood and the other, the Cloudiz as referred to by the Kasumori historical texts. It seems this dual kingdom possessed a significant portion of the central continent and had limited interaction with a kingdom named in Yorukuni that seems may possibly be an ancient power of lizardfolk in the west.

Strangely, any mention of beastfolk is brief and does not appear in older texts, and the Yorukun word used for them seems to indicate an origin in being fused unnaturally. What is mentioned of them is their use by Faedas as soldiers and how either their origin or their usage caused a rising tension between the dualistic fae rulers. Yorukun writings become more insular and no conclusion could be found as to what happened with this Faedas Kingdom though this scholar suspects civil war between the two fae rulers that led to the downfall of this ancient kingdom. Perhaps further ushered along by the Great Cataclysm nearly four hundred years ago.

With my speculations on the origins of the fae resolved as much as I suspected them to be barring a grand unearthing of ancient documents and the origin of the beastfolk and Berapi insinuated at as much as I suspected I would find without journeying to their respective lands I began to read other Yorukun texts. Mainly those concerning trade deals with other empires which I found had been kept quite meticulously. It seemed most dealt with Faedas, explaining their extensive records on a history other than their own, but there were a few brief mentions of expeditions south returning with people described in a way that can only be described as human in nature. Seeing as my supplies and money were running low and I was growing tired of the frozen north I began to return south, with worldly intention forefront, but followed by scholarly desire to seek out the historical records of the many human cultures that dominated the southern half of the central continent and what connection, if any, they had to the human dominated lands to the northwest, though my desire to return to the colder climate was negligible.

Returning to the Enclave was more relieving than I could have hoped. When I arrived back I saw construction, long delayed, was being continued on its expansion and while the noise of the workers disrupted my thoughts the promise of Nyrothian light crystals being implemented and more room for research and study more than made up for it. It was here at the Enclave that I began in earnest my investigation regarding the history of the humans native to these south-central lands.

Scholarly speculation has long posited a strong connection between Woodwind and Aloren, an almost undeniable fact considering the near identical racial features and location. Genivana too is often thrown into the mix of shared common ancestry and this scholar believes this to be an accurate assertion as well. Lyradis is as well associated with a southern origin and their dark skin, hair, and eyes support a racial origin similar to the regions previously discussed, slight differences explained by slight terrain and landscape differences between the east side and west side of the central continent. Coupled with historical texts, many taken down from the oral traditions of each region, it would seem they all trace their origin in one way or another to the lands south of Hrathan-Tuor and Grrmanhil and the interaction with the Salterri would support that a similarly complexed people live to the south.

While one of my students, Wanderer Talasa, is currently intent on uncovering specific interactions between these ancient tribes it is my desire to discover overarching patterns and to not get bogged down by regional specifics. Thus, the primary question on my mind is the origin of the vastly racially different human inhabitants of Hrathan-Tuor and the origin of the orcs in Grrmanhil. These shall be my primary destinations once my respite at the Enclave concludes.
    Last edited by QuintonBeck; 2014-04-09 at 05:23 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Slightly OOC: More to come
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Bereginia (2B) - Believed to be Dwarves, further investigation needed
    The people of Celero believe the Bereginians to be a crossbreed of Water-aligned Berapi and Dwarves. Most native Celerii can trace back to some Beregine heritage.
    Last edited by Logic; 2014-04-09 at 05:35 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Peculiar beasts of Jarrland

Folk tales of the
    Brass Lion

Spoiler: Never used to get forrin explorers down here back in the day...
    Show

The beast is called a brass lion because of its tawny-red colour. Yes, I know brass doesn't actually look like that. It's poetical, isn't it. Probably named when the people here was all elves and didn't ask stupid questions.

There are two types of the lion, the northern and eastern lions. The northern lions live in the hills and in Discordia and probably beyond. The eastern lions live mostly in the forests and ranges into Raquim for all I know. There are also some lions in the south bordering Vennland. How do you tell the difference? Well, depends where you are, don't it. If you're in the north, it's a northern lion. If you're in the east, it's an eastern lion.

The male lion has a great thick red mane. Other than that it looks like a big cat. They grow to be about three-four foot high and six-seven foot long. They tend to live in small family groups, usually of two or three, and feed on bison, moose, boar... or explorers who go poking about in their habitat. They call northern lions the kings of the highlands because there's nothing up there that messes with them, except the hill clans, of course.

The lion has been tamed but not in my lifetime. The elf kings used to keep them as pets. The famous warrior Jan of Clan Dunnem tried to tame one when I were a lad, but got eaten.

The men of Clan Cambra used to hunt lions and wear their fur. You don't see that so much any more. They say there aren't enough lions left or they're too hard to find or the king has placed them under royal protection or something. I think the Cambras are just going soft.

The greatest lion ever was called Gwynhathor, which means Devourer of the Unworthy in Old Elven. He was twenty feet long and had teeth as big as your finger. The elf king rode him into battle when he conquered the south. Of course, he was an elf, so the lion could manage with him on its back. People these days are too heavy.

Last edited by Aedilred; 2014-04-17 at 06:26 AM.
    Empire! A community world-building game, always recruiting

GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Tales from the Sea of the Golden Sun.

OF course, any tale told by sailors must be met with skepticism, but sailors on the Central Sea swear these creatures exist:

The iron kracken- larger than a traditional squid, its hide is so tough no spear can pierce it.
    The Leviathan- sometimes described as a huge whale, others as a massive catfish like creature, it is said to be capable of swallowing ships whole.
    The big mouthed shark- Over 20 feet long and capable of leaping from the water, it can bite a person in half.
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.

Pet Peeve: Yay ≠ Yeah

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Travels in Discordia - Native Fauna
    Damien Del Merrin of Lyradis

Separating the southern protectorates of the Salterri Imperium from the northern provinces is the great Discord range of mountains. In Salterri parlance this area is its own province (or protectorate, I confess to not entirely understanding the difference), known as Discordia. While overwhelmingly mountainous, the province has a number of valleys and plateaus where food can be grown and population centres can be found. Much of the province, though, is given over to rugged wilderness, with only a few, variously well-maintained, tracks and roads connecting Bor-Teire and Salteire to the north with Jarrland and Requiem to the south-east.

Close to the Jarrland border I was warned by my guide about the danger of lions, about which I gather you have already received information. My guide took pains to point out what he told me were lion tracks, and urge me to stay away from them (I should probably have hired a more adventuresome individual, given my mission, but guides who speak northern tongues are rare in the mountains), so naturally I disregarded him and went in pursuit, though I was to be disappointed and found only a few bones from the carcasses of the lions' quarry (some have been sent on).

Two days north of the border, we came across the body of what my guide told me is known locally as a Star Bear. The bear I found had clearly been dead for some days and some of the flesh was partially rotten; it seemed to have died of some illness or invisible injury. The creature was grey in colour, with small patches of silver-white, and, once I had persuaded my guide to lay the body out at full length, I determined it to be a little over six feet long. I instructed my guide to remove the bear's head and boil the flesh away, and have had the skull sent on for further study. Please bear in mind however that I believe the skull to be disproportionately large compared with the head:body ratio of other bears, at least on the specimen I saw, and this may lead to erroneous estimates of the creature's size. The small patches of silver-white fur are apparently the reason for the bear's name, although my guide also told me the bears are nocturnal and may be named for that reason.

West of the rift where I discovered the bear, my guide led me in the direction of what he told me was a large local settlement called Erisium. On our way there, however, we discovered a small village where the people were bemoaning the recent loss of much of their livestock. I asked what had happened, and was shown to their fields where several of their animals lay dead on the ground, having been slashed to death by some vicious creature. Some of the young had apparently been carried off, but the villagers had managed to drive away the predators before they feasted on or could carry off the remainder or the larger animals.

The predators are known locally as "a-pi" and judging from the claw (or talon-?) marks on the animals I saw, possess claws two or perhaps even three inches long. I asked the locals for more information about the "a-pi" and was told they are winged predators who live in the mountains and occasionally descend to attack livestock.

Here is where the information becomes less reliable. Having heard about these creatures I naturally wanted to investigate further (they sounded more interesting and relevant than a visit to Erisium) but locals appear to disagree on the appearance and nature of the animals. The village where I first heard of them told me they were humanoid in appearance but with bird-like features, including wings, talons and even cruel beaks, but a village I found a few days later described them as scaled and with wings "like a sky-mouse" (presumably, a bat?). Some of the folk seemed to believe they were little more than large and curiously-shaped birds, while some viewed them as evil sky-spirits (fey?) and one group insisted they were humans who had taken to living on the mountain and had later grown wings. All agreed they were vicious, carnivorous, and hunted in groups (whether these should rightfully be termed packs or flocks I leave up to you).

In any case I feel I must investigate the "a-pi" further. If they are beasts, they can be tamed, and if they are sapient, they can be bargained with. I have therefore resolved to go to the mountains where the "a-pi" dwell and see them for myself. I am currently one day's travel from the mountain and my guide has flatly refused to accompany me any further no matter how much I promise to pay him, so I shall have to go on alone from here. I have left this letter to be sent on by my guide so that you may begin work on my earlier findings immediately, and I shall write with more news, and hopefully specimens, of the "a-pi" after I find them.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2014-05-01 at 05:50 PM.

League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

[removed.]
    Last edited by Rizban; 2014-09-24 at 03:29 AM.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

An account of the
    Scarnakan
    Iron Birds of Sympolemou

Origins
    Spoiler
    Show
    The initial source of the Scarnakan is unknown, but the first recorded examples were hatched by a mad Sympol whose name has been lost to history, from a set of eggs found at the edge of the Forest of Bones in Sympolemou. They quickly grew in numbers after being brought to the Heart of the North for investigation.

Appearance
    Spoiler
    Show
    An average specimen can be cited at roughly a meter and a half in height assuming normal posture, with head down and legs unstretched, though it can assume nearly twice that if it stands erect. It has a short neck for a bird, and must stoop slightly to reach the ground. Its wingspan is typically near five meters, and quite impressive. Scarnakan have disproportionately long and narrow legs resembling those of a crane, though deceptively strong: A Scarnak is capable of killing a human with a well-placed kick.

Thanks to their unique feathers, Scarnak birds are largely steel-colored, with very little variation. However, each bird has a unique display of quill-like plumes erupting from the back of its head.

Qualities
    Spoiler
    Show
    Scarnakan are inquisitive creatures, and quite adept at finding food even when it is intentionally hidden from them. They tend to be rowdy and difficult to control as well, though it is possible to tame them anyway. Some dream at what could be accomplished if they could be convinced to accept a rider, but alas, that has not yet happened.

Scarnak birds are incredibly strong and agile, able to move in ways that most animals cannot. They are flightless because their wings are too heavy to keep them aloft, but they have adapted to this by learning to move more quickly than most other birds when on the ground. Further, despite their inability to sustain true flight, their legs are quite strong and the creatures have been known to pounce upon their prey.

Perhaps the most unusual trait of the Scarnak bird, however, is its array of iron-clad feathers. Like hundreds of carefully-placed, worryingly flexible knives, Scarnak feathers grow sharp and deadly. They have even been known to use their bladed bodies while hunting and in self-defense, striking animals with their wings to tear flesh. Similarly, the bladed feathers serve an important defensive role, as a form of natural armor: They have demonstrated the ability to resist many types of common weaponry and offer protection similar to plated barding. These blades are regularly shed and regrown.

Scarnakan are carnivorous and primarily consume meat, but their diet is otherwise rather strange: Their beaks have edges that are used to shave off and consume portions of iron ore, which is no doubt where the strength of their feathers comes from. The Scarnakan flock at the Heart of the North consumes a majority of Sympolemou's iron output to sustain itself, a truly impressive feat.

This author apologizes for diverging into theory after this point.

As a Mount
    Spoiler
    Show
    Advanced Cavalry Unit Bonus
    If a Scarnak could be convinced to accept a rider, the military potential would be enormous. They are nearly as fast as horses and much deadlier thanks to their unique traits. While coordinating them would be a difficult task, not much would be necessary: Simply arranging a charging line would allow an application of force and firepower far greater than any team of Lancers could hope to provide.

(Guess who I stole this template from? )
    Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2014-06-27 at 03:56 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Normal Avatar by Thormag!

Earthbound Immortal Uru avatar by Strawberries

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Encounters in Farridon
    Lyrus Vemeer of Selyra

I had been negotiating with a party of explorers planning to travel south into the newly-discovered land of ice when news came that a large horde of wildlings was approaching the border, and the order was given to evacuate. Most of my companions were goblins, of the subtype known as the Kornandon, though there were not a small number of local humans too. For the first few days little was accomplished, for contradictory orders arrived from all quarters, some recommending fleeing to the north, others to the west, yet more instructions that able-bodied men should form a militia, and so forth.

Eventually, we set out for the north, hugging the mountains to the west, accompanied by a small group of militia, mostly archers as is common in this part of the world. After two days' travel we encountered a regiment of Frosten berapi, allies of the Carmine kingdom, who had travelled south to help deal with the wildling threat. We spoke with the Frosten leader and he agreed to detach a small number of his soldiers to escort us north.

I noticed that the goblins (rather smaller and slightly more blue of skin than goblins of the north) bore the challenges of the march largely with equanimity, while the human civilians were more prone to flustering and panic. Soon I came to the conclusion that if I wanted anything done, I should ask a goblin, and soon it became the way of things that the goblins would take charge of the camping and cooking arrangements. I would not recommend Kornandon cuisine, but it was better than nothing.

About a week later, we approached a section of mountains which both the Kornandon and the Akuul humans wished to avoid. There followed a long dispute, since it would save us several days to travel through the pass, rather than back down into the lowlands (where, moreover, we would be at greater risk of attack). In particular, the Kornandon could not explain exactly why they wished not to take the pass, and the Akuul would not. Eventually they were overruled and we headed north through the mountains.

The following day, shortly after we broke camp, we were suddenly assaulted by flying beasts. Even the Kornandon panicked at the sight of them, running to take cover under the wagons, behind rocks or wherever they could find shelter. On the first pass the creatures killed several of our goats and oxen, while on the second the militia had prepared themselves just enough to loose a volley of arrows which wounded a couple but had little overall impact. By the time of the third, the Frosten (who had grown increasingly surly the further north we travelled, and largely at whose insistence we had taken the mountain pass, rather than the warmer lowland route) produced a weapon of their own - I believe one widely known as a "fire-lance" - and, when the creatures came in for their attack run, blasted several of them from the sky. That was enough to see them off, though a couple remained alive on the ground, winded or hurt, but not killed. With the creatures seen off, the Kornandon ran forward to kill the wounded, though I managed to stay them from killing them all.

The survivors were roughly humanoid, though with wings and feathered tails. Their lower legs are scaled, like a bird's, with talons, which are replicated in slightly smaller form on the ends of their wings. I realised at this point what I was likely dealing with, for they matched the vague descriptions of the "a-pi" reported by the late Damien Del Merrin and Marcus Ryme in Discordia, and speaking with the others in our party I learned they are known among the Kornandon as Arpied.

They are surprisingly attractive of countenance, though there is an air of savagery about them: they go entirely unclad, even the females who fly bare-breasted (but then how could they fashion clothes without hands?). Upon realising they were indeed humanoid to an extent, I attempted to converse with them, but my language seemed entirely alien. Instead they turned their heads sharply to one another and seemed to speak in an extremely high-pitched squawk that if they were not sitting in front of me I might have interpreted as the cry of an eagle or hawk. This went on for some time, but eventually I was able to discern some familiar syllables in the squawking, and attempted to reply.

It seems the language of the Arpied (or "a-pi", or as the Frosten came to refer to them, "harpy") is related in some manner to Old Fae, and once I had realised this some of my previous confusion about the nature of the creatures fell away. We were unable to communicate much of any meaning, but I got the impression that after a few exchanges they were willing to accept I was not without intelligence - the irony, given that I had so nearly regarded them as dumb beasts!

After a prolonged and impassioned argument, I was able to persuade my travelling companions that the surviving harpies should be set free rather than killed, and those that could fly departed without incident, carrying those who could not. I was persona non grata for much of the day, with goblins and humans alike muttering that I had doomed them all and they would return in numbers (the Frosten kept a stoic silence on the subject). They were not entirely incorrect, as the harpies returned that evening, but even as the militia and Frosten scrambled to gather weapons to repel them, they dropped cargo from above: much of the livestock they had earlier abducted, and some they had not (I do not wish to speculate too much on where this was acquired). They then left without further incident, allowing us to butcher and either eat or preserve the meat from the animals.

From the reactions of my dumbfounded travelling companions, this is the first time anyone has made contact of anything other than a hostile nature with the harpies in recorded history. I now hope they will return, that I might learn more of them.

League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)