New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [Feat] Battle Healer

Battle Healer:
    You are able to cast healing spells more quickly in combat.
    Prerequisites: Ability to cast Cure Light Wounds or Inflict Light Wounds, Heal 4 ranks.
    Benefits: You may cast Cure and Inflict spells as a swift action. You may only target a creature as part of casting such a spell as a swift action if they are a willing or helpless target; you may hold the charge and deliver it later on an unwilling target as normal for a touch spell.
    Normal: Cure spells take a standard action to cast.

Just something to help in combat healing a little bit.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2014-02-20 at 11:23 AM.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [Feat] Battle Healer

I see no problems here. A decent and useful feat. Should apply for Lay on Hands too.
    bock!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I'd drop the quickened Inflict spells, though, or do something to make them unusable offensively. Sure, they're not that strong past the first few levels, but as swift actions?
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd drop the quickened Inflict spells, though, or do something to make them unusable offensively. Sure, they're not that strong past the first few levels, but as swift actions?
    I think the fact that you can only cast "such a spell as a swift action if they are a willing or helpless target" does that quite well.

My Homebrew-Estote clementes, et numquam desinete discere.-FanAdv

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Benefits: You may cast Cure and Inflict spells as a swift action. You may only touch a target as part of casting such a spell as a swift action if they are a willing or helpless target.

The bolded part was intended for just that, but I just now realized it doesn't work for the Mass versions. I'll modify it a bit so that says you may not affect an unwilling target with the spell cast this way unless you hold the charge and deliver it as a standard action (which leaves it allowing you to swift cast inflict, move, then deliver all in one round, but no casting other spells or making attacks the same round and Inflict X is rarely good enough to use offensively even if you ignore AoOs).

So any advice on how to word it without the spell just magically knowing if a creature is harmed by positive or negative energy would be nice.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2014-02-20 at 11:33 AM.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Another benefit is killing unconcious targets with negative hp as a swift action.

... on a second thought, maybe the feat should work either for Cure or Inflict spells, not both. It would only affect those few living/undead mixed groups, and I think undead PCs being harder to heal is part of the idea of being an undead character.
    Last edited by Mighty_Chicken; 2014-02-20 at 11:51 AM.
    bock!