A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default The Orcus saga part I

From all walks of life, these travelers came. Of many races and professions, these wanderers were linked only by a common road, and a common destiny. In time, they were to become heroes, though none knew it yet.
    They only knew that the way was easy, the road, though old, being in good repair, and that though the sun was creeping toward the west, the approaching night promised to be mild.
    Washed up Gm in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenChord View Post
    This seems like a level of crazy-talk only you could accomplish.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Mick View Post
    ... I've played a few games with D20ragon as GM in the past, and I have to vouch for his skill - he's an excellent writer, his world-building is top-notch ... and his games are, while sometimes too ambitious, some of the most fun to be had on these boards.
    avatar by the marvelous asdflove

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: The Orcus saga part I

Krik-yik shuffled with deceptive speed down that road. Her eyes averted from the sun, she welcomed the coming darkness. It reminded her of her long lost home, never to return. Soon the stars would come out, physical representations of the dead gods whose power she wielded.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Tormek

Tormek walks along the road at a steady pace. But as he walks, his mind begins to drift. This was the same road that he died on. He imidiately snaps back to reality though, realizing that there is no talking going on between his companions. So, to get his mind away from his mentor he decides to start talking. (Even though he's a dwarf he is actually a gruff conversationalist) He notices the shuffling kobold and it seems like she's lonely so he decides to start making small talk with her. "So Krik, that's your name right, I was just wondering, where did you come from?

Tormek is ready to begin battle! (If there is one) But while we wait for everyone to post readiness I'll engage with small talk with the group.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Krik-yik. I was hatched in a kobold mine. But I wanted more than to mindlessly serve the dragon they worshiped, so I was driven out as a dissident. Since then, I've been here and there, picking up odd jobs. There is something about this that she is being shifty about.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Tormek

Tormek, being the honorable paladin that he is, decides no to press further into her past. Instead he asks: "So, what made you want to come to Fallcrest?"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I heard that there was a big job being offered. I am, I admit a mercenary. Once again, there is something she isn't saying.
    Spoiler
    Show
    What she doesn't say is that the vestiges hate Orcus out of jealousy and though she, Krik-yik, only has the vaguest idea of what they want or why, she knows that something important to the dead gods of the far reaches will happen near and soon

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Tormek

"Ah, a hire-arm eh? So what skills do you have that would be useful for a mercenary? You don't seem strong or tough so you must have something else?... he half-asks half-thinks to himself. Suddenly he turns around and noticed that the entire group was out of a correct marching order and was instead bumbling about like cows. "ATTENTION!" He yells, "Dachald, being the military mind that you are how best should we order ourselves! If we were to be attacked we would be surrounded and flanked quite easily. For as my, mentor, used to say: strength is only half the battle you must think to win just as much to win."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

GERTRUDE

The Hunter beams from ear to ear as she takes in her surroundings and eavesdrops on the conversation between the kobold and the paladin, "They remind me of my boys. Especially Tormek, he is so like my little Foril, always playing at war."

The lithe, blonde haired human flashes a warm smile at the dwarf, "It is such a lovely day out, must we always march in order master dwarf? These roads may be dangerous but nothing could possibly stand in the way of we here assembled. My bow can take out any enemy from afar, while your warhammer could surly crush the bones of any that dared escape my aim. Beyond you and I we have these two strapping young men," she motions to Dachald and Kefka, "and lady Krik-Yik. As my beau says, "Ye can never be too careful but there be times that ye just need ta lay back and watch tha' clouds." As she says this, she puts on a practiced - yet still amateurish - dwarven accent.
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2014-02-21 at 12:55 AM.
    DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Kefka the Imp, Gnome Bard

"I'm sick about this road and I need some wine... and this hiperactive Dwarf giving orders is not helping. I just hope that the Tavern in Fallcrest is as good as the jobs promises." Kefka thinks.

Then he decides to come nearby the Kolbolt, the Woman and the Dwarf and join the conversation to pass the time, introducing himself with a friendly smile he says "Nice to meet fellow travelers, let me introduce myself again: my name is Kefka, but usually people just call me Imp, due to my small stature and some other things, hehe..." Kefka gives a sarcastic wink that says 'that are probably true' he then keeps talking "I'm going to Fellcrest for the same reasons that you are saying to us master Kolbolt" Kefka keep the tone of his voice friendly at all times, even when he uses sarcasm.

Kefka examine the Kolbolt - without him noticing - and for some reason the words of his father came to Kefka mind "Never trust and Kobolt, my son...", but Kefka did not completely agree with his father - expecially since he never knew a Kolbolt before "Let's see if my dumb old man was right about them...the only thing that is weird so far, is to be taller then someone."

He then says to the Dwarf "Tormek, right? Are you expecting any trouble down the road?" If Kefka is afraid about the trouble he sure isn't showing it!
    Last edited by Azktor; 2014-02-21 at 01:02 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

GERTRUDE

The hunter curtsies in front of the Gnome, then extends her hand, "My name is Gertrude Woodman - master archer, proud mother of three children and newly minted explorer. I am most pleased to make your acquaintance, Sir Imp.
    DMing:

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Tormek

The dwarf chuckles how naive she is thinking that we have no need. You always must be wary, for if anything happens like it did before I will never let myself go. "Yes, and although you are right, my weapon has felled many a-goblin we should still be cautious, the precious seconds of suprise the enemy could have on us could result in life or death. While I have no doubt of your expertise with the bow, we must take precaution to prepare for the worst, because from my experience it never happens differently. The dwarf then glances over and puts on a more friendly tone compared to the rough gruff soldier tone he had been using earlier. "So where do you come from archer? And why travel here? You look like you would be able to take care of yourself more in the woods than in civilization?"

"Ah a mother I see, and you the imp I am glad to meet your aquantince as well. And yes I am expecting it." He notices that Kafka seems to doubt his ways in caution ness. No matter, they shall learn with experience. For as he always said, 'experience at its worst is a better teacher than I will ever be'.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

GERTRUDE

The human raises and eyebrow at the dwarf, "You expect much danger and always wish to be prepared. That is an admirable quality Master Dwarf."

She looks up to the sky for a a few seconds. Her hand naturally floats up to the holy symbol of Bahamut that gracefully dangles at her neck. She continues, after a fashion, "I am from Fallcrest. Born and raised. My parents owned an establishment in town called the Good Night Inn. Bless their hearts, they ran a good inn. Sadly all of them have long since passed away." She pauses for a moment to consider explaining that statement (given that her father had three wives) but decides that is a tale for another time. "My husband, Franz, was a town guard in Fallcrest..." She trails off for a moment and looks up once more before continuing, "A thief murdered my dear husband in cold blood... I became an explorer out of revenge, at least initially but..." She holds up the holy symbol for all to see, "But then, through my beau, Kalgit, I found Bahamut. His devotion to law and civility tamed my wild heart and gave purpose to my life, where there was once just an empty hole. I learned to let go of my pain and forge a new path, one I hope will allow me to spread good throughout the world."
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2014-02-21 at 01:23 AM.
    DMing:

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Well, as for my abilities, it is embarrassing to say so openly, but my abilities are of the nastier kind of arcane magic. I can hinder enemies and blast them with fell power, often at the same time. As to marching order, if we are caught unawares, I can call on the tactics of my people to help us scatter into a better arranged group quickly. All the same, I am unsuited to melee combat, and preparation is never wasted, as kobolds often say.
    Last edited by Feathersnow; 2014-02-21 at 01:24 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Tormek

"You have found the path away from revenge and found retribution through the gods, you to are most honorable." he holds up his hammer. "Me, I chose moradin. My hammer skill was a gift from him so I got the name, Godhammer." He to seems to be hiding something.
    Spoiler
    Show
    He got the name from when his mentor died and gave it to him to pass on his legacy.

He turns back to Krik, "That is ok about your melee weakness and your magic. I for one will judge you on your actions just like Moradin would. Do not worry about your close combat I shall have you covered there."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

GERTRUDE

I have heard much of Moradin over the years. He always struck me as a good divine fellow. Plus, dwarves like to quaff whole pints in his name, which is always a wondrous site to behold. I, personally, cannot imagine drinking so much, so quickly.

She mulls over the Paladin's name a bit before asking, "Godhammer is a nice name. I assume you come from a long and distinguished line of Godhammers?"

The human hunter then turns to the Kobold, "I too am not much for melee, as I spent my years honing my skills with a bow, which sadly came at the expense of close combat weapons. We shall have to watch each other's back, just in case our friends miss an enemy or two." She flashes a wide smile and an exagerated wink over at Tormek and the Imp.
    DMing:

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Tormek

Tormek seems to kind of start to look sad, "There were two but now there is only one, me. He gives a friendly glance but one that also states "don't pressure me about this." Also he continues to talk about Gertrude's second point "Yes, we dwarves do love a hearty drink, which reminds me," he grabs his water skin from his pack and takes a large gulp of it. Ahh...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

GERTRUDE

The human backs off the topic but she is curious as to the man's past. She giggles as she watches the Paladin take a swig, "Is that an Aleskin or a Meadskin? It definitely isn't a wineskin!"
    DMing:

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Felhammer View Post
    GERTRUDE

The human backs off the topic but she is curious as to the man's past. She giggles as she watches the Paladin take a swig, "Is that an Aleskin or a Meadskin? It definitely isn't a wineskin!"
    "No, just water, (the non-poisonous kind) surprisingly enough I never had a liking for alcohol. That's just one more thing that set me apart from them."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

GERTRUDE

The woman looks a bit perplexed before exclaiming, "Fascinating!"
    DMing:

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Kefka extends his hand and grabs Gertrude's hand gently to give quick and polite kiss "Nice to meet you to Gertrude, and I can say that I'm even more pleased than you to meet such a beuty in this god-forsaken road. "
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Kefka is not 'hiting on Gertrude' just being polite as a bard would!

He then listen carrefuly to the others talking and wait until it convenient to say "My condolences about your husband, I can not even start to imagine how hard it must have been for you and your childrens, but you seem to have managed it somehow, and that requires real courage and strength." he gives a small pause and keep saying "And I wish I had known your parents and their inn."

"And I'm also not a fan of close combat battles, I usually try to make my adversaries to stay away enough time so that I can put then into the ground - expecially the big ones, hehe...."

Kefka is really surprised about that and says "Dwarfs are usually the best drink companions I've had the pleasure to drink with, so that is really amazing to me as well..."
    Last edited by Azktor; 2014-02-21 at 02:19 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

Dachald

The dragonborn had been standing apart from the group, looking down the path to the goblin caves. He was lost in contemplation, thinking about how his axe will bring those vile goblins the death they deserve.

Now, he returns to the others and says, "It's a pleasure meet all of you fine warriors. My name is Dachald Akula. I am a servant of Bahamut, here to slay the goblin scum on his behalf. Are we ready to go?"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

GERTRUDE

The human once more curtsies for the gnome, "You are quite the dashing devil, are you not Sir Imp? I imagine you are quite popular in every town you meander into."

Surprised by the foreign voice, Gertrude looks over and realizes the Dragonborn has spoken. Smiling she wanders over to the man and extends a hand, "My name is Gertrude. It is a pleasure to meet you, Dachald Akula. I too am a follower of the Platinum Dragon. By his grace, we shall do good works this day."
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2014-02-21 at 02:32 AM.
    DMing:

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

GERTRUDE

The human once more curtsies for the gnome, "You are quite the dashing devil, are you not Sir Imp? I imagine you are quite popular in every town you meander into."

Surprised by the foreign voice, Gertrude looks over and realizes the Dragonborn has spoken. Smiling she wanders over to the man and extends a hand, "My name is Gertrude. It is a pleasure to meet you, Dachald Akula. I too am a follower of the Platinum Dragon. By his grace, we shall do good works this day."
    Dachald smiles and shakes her hand. "Well, thank you. It is always nice to meet others who uphold his ideals."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Tormek

"Dachald, there you are!" Tormek says, "I was wondering when you'd get out of your reverie." He gives a strong but friendly pat on the back to Dachald. "Me and him go way back. We used to adventure together, I was just on. My way to meet him here when he bumped into me!"

Spoiler
    Show
    I am writing somewhat of a background, if anyone is not ok with it please tell me and I'll delete it.

"It turns out he was tasked by a merchant to find a stolen box of the merchant's. I decided to join along on this adventure seeing that's,though Dachald could hold his own in battle, two is usually better than one, but we could barely beat the goblins outside their lair, and so we came to town and what would you know we found some
    mercenaries asked by the merchant. To find his box so we joined together and well, here we are!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Krik-yik looks decidedly uncomfortable at the mention of Bahamut. I just want you to know, before you get any ideas, I worship Io, not Tiamat. I saw the error of worshiping the Rainbow One first hand growing up. She shivers theatrically.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Feathersnow View Post
    Krik-yik looks decidedly uncomfortable at the mention of Bahamut. I just want you to know, before you get any ideas, I worship Io, not Tiamat. I saw the error of worshiping the Rainbow One first hand growing up. She shivers theatrically.
    "Io, well, better than Tiamat! I would not want to offend you but I would try to kill you on the spot if you worshiped her (that was a typo)." Tormek says with a glare.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Krik-yik looks more resigned than hurt. Yeah, I get that a lot. But, Tiamat is a "she." Io originally created them as mates, but Bahamut rejected her in rage at the murder of their brother. She couldn't help herself, every Kobold hatchling grew up hearing this story, though Tiamat usually sounded better in those versions.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"I thought I said her? Oh well, wait I heard that they were created for each other but then Tiamat killed her beautiful sister and blamed it on bahamut, but then io found out so he banished her." Tormek said sounding confused.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

The beautiful sibling is generally called male in the stories, but true dragons, especially their gods, have more-or-less optional gender. So, close enough. She looks relieved that this situation is defused.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

GERTRUDE
    Kefka says "Hehe, I'm just being polite! And about popularity usually I'm loved and hated with same intesity by others, but I guess I have more fans then enemies. Hehehe!" Kefka is saying this as a 'joke' without any hint of arrogance, but you notice that there is SOME true to what he said.

He then says friendly to the Dwarf and the Kolbolt "As long as your Gods does not try to punish me or the ones I consider my friends, I have no problem with them....being them Dragon-gods or Moradin or Bahamut..." he makes a pause and keep saying "I have no strong religious sense, but I do admire Avandra and Sehanine..."
    Last edited by Azktor; 2014-02-21 at 12:37 PM.