Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 141
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BardGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Gender
    Female

    Default Skulls and Shackles IC

    Skulls and Shackles
    The Wormwood Mutiny

    Out of Character




    Six had come to Port Peril. Whether greed or gluttony or wanderlust had brought them, each had ended up at the Formidably Maid, an infamous dockside tavern in the pirate capital. For some, their heads would be filled with flashes of drinking and debauchery, a night of pleasure half remembered and only confirmed by the taste of cheap wine and the lingering headache from their hangover. For others, the pounding in their heads was a result of the beating they'd endured the night before, prior to slipping into unconsciousness, overwhelmed in a dark alley or suddenly attacked while gazing out to sea.

    Now six awoke in a dark hold, the rhythmic creaking of planks and gentle rocking of the room giving some hint to their fate, if they were aware enough to catch it. Occasionally shouts rang out overhead, and after a short time, light spilled through the cracks of the doorway along with the sound of rough voices. Before much could be done to prepare, the door burst open, the harsh glare of a lantern spearing the eyes of anyone without the wisdom to avert their gaze.

    "Still abed, eh? On yer feet, ye filthy swabs! Cap'n Harrigan don't take kindly t' loiterin', an' don't ye be thinkin' we'll give ye a pass on yer first day." A sneering man with a large, braided beard and a mouth full of gold teeth growls at the new crewmembers. He is a tall but slender man, and even his heavy boots and long coat fail to give the impression of bulk or strength. He holds a whip in his right hand and cracks it in the air as his finishes talking. Behind him enter eight other pirates with saps and another with a lantern.
    Last edited by TheVitulus; 2014-02-24 at 01:58 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Escheton's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Netherlands

    Default Re: Skulls and Shackles IC

    "By Ingvar's shiny buttons; My head! the midnight hunter thinks as the light hits his poison-hangover enhanced light-sensitive eyes. Pulling his arm up for cover he notes a distinct lack of weight. The implications hitting him as hard as the overt presence of what he assumes is supposed to be an intimidating force.
    Hallrún makes a slight adjustment to how he is seated against the damp wood of the hull's inner lining, as to hide his intentions Very light...steel , bone nor tanned skins. Best lay low and gather info"

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2006

    Default Re: Skulls and Shackles IC

    Betsy was still dazed by her foggy memories of the night before. Had she signed up for a pirate crew and not remembered it? Or was she press-ganged into service? Her one uncovered eye blinked as she suddenly realized that if she wasn't press-ganged, she may as well have been with the whip wielding maniac and his gang of heavies ready to rouse her up to deck.

    Having personal experience with the damage a whip could do in the hands of someone skilled, and also not wanting to be beaten senseless (again?) by the thugs with the saps, the slender blonde woman hopped to her feet, after a moment of unsteadiness. "Aye aye." She muttered, instinctively.

    She wasn't alone, there were others here. She wondered right away what might have happened aboard this ship, that they would need to recruit so many new fresh hands, and in such a way as to not take no for an answer.

    "Come on the rest of you dogs, let's not keep these gentlemen waiting!" She helps the rest of the new crew members quickly up to their feet to get ready for whatever sadistic inspection the guy with the whip and the valuable teeth is planning.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Mystical Land of Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Skulls and Shackles IC

    The monk's eyes snapped open as the intruder to his sleep spoke, but he laid there and listened patiently. No point looking at the lantern, lest the throbbing in his skull become more cozy and less inclined to leave.

    Even staring at the ceiling like he was, still watching the last wisps of a bad dream fade away, the Hobgoblin knew what had happened: Struck, probably by a sap, brought aboard this ship, and now to join it in service or be summarily keelhauled. "The beatings will continue, until morale improves!"

    Not the first time he'd been in this situation.

    Rolling backwards, Thok kipped up onto his feet, and stared passively at the man with the whip. Probably not the captain, based on the sheer number of crew at his flank, and the sounds above the hold they currently stood within, but mayhap the first mate or boatswain.

    "Reporting for duty, sir." He murmured, ignoring the blonde human who seemed intent to rouse the rest of the cabin herself. Probably doesn't realize yet that she's a slave, and sucking up to the masters only makes the sting of the lash come with the sting of failure.
    78% of DMs started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

    Where did you start yours?

    In a small village, during the Rite of Passage for some promising young warriors.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    GMT-8

    Default Re: Skulls and Shackles IC

    Mazin wakes up with his body sore and feels head pounding. Mazin's mind races: What the hell?! Where am I? Dammit! I should have been more careful hanging around a place like Port Peril... looks like they took my stuff... damn, my spellbook! And where's Scoundrel? -- Mazin mentally tugs at the empathic link between him and the scorpion -- well, it looks like none of the others are stupid enough to resist right now; better not single myself out as a target then.

    Mazin gets up, quietly muttering a quick "thank you" to the blonde-haired human girl as she helps him up. In a tone and volume of voice that Mazin hopes will help him not stand out as a target among the others, he answers a "yes sir" to the man with the whip.

    Mazin's mind continues to analyze the situation, looking for a solution: okay, it looks like I still have my spell component pouch at least. What can I do with this? I only have the handful of spells I prepared yesterday. Only one spell will aid me in direct combat, but it's only good for one hit, and I shouldn't waste my cast if I don't even have a weapon with me. Plus, there are more of them than me. The unseen servant can help me with today's work, I suppose. Two casts of charm person... if the enchantment works on somebody in charge, then I can benefit from their temporary favor, but I don't know if I want to find out what happens after the spell wears off... or if they somehow manage to resist both casts! And my cantrips aren't useful as anything more than diversions, but if we're at sea, then there's no place for me to run to, unless maybe I can steal an escape raft. The rat-man cringes his nose, and his whiskers twitch slightly. Guess I should just continue to play along and watch out for any opportunities then.
    Spoiler: PbP Games
    Show

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    GMT-8

    Default Re: Skulls and Shackles IC

    Mazin thinks to himself, Is he picking a fight? Right now? While outnumbered and unarmed... this guy is even dumber than he looks.

    Mazin's whiskers twitch again. Then Mazin takes a small step back, away from the beast-like man, and observes the action that is about to unfold.
    Spoiler: PbP Games
    Show

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Mystical Land of Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Skulls and Shackles IC

    Thok took a long, clean stride towards the big sumbitch, and put one very strong palm flat on his chest, offering his back to the pirates.

    "Peace, friend," the Hobgoblin said quietly, so only Henry could hear him. "You are outnumbered and unarmed; do not compound these dire circumstances with conflict and pain."

    He looked at the pirate in question over his shoulder. "Being put down by these men is not worth the rise, nor the hat." Despite his peaceful demeanor, the monk was fully alert, and prepared to be struck at by either party --perhaps even both.
    Last edited by Julian928; 2014-02-24 at 07:35 PM.
    78% of DMs started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

    Where did you start yours?

    In a small village, during the Rite of Passage for some promising young warriors.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    GMT-8

    Default Re: Skulls and Shackles IC

    Mazin looks at the hobgoblin in an odd mix of apprehension and respect. Well, he's a brave one. Stupid, but in a different way than the bigger guy.

    Mazin folds his arms, eager to see what will happen next.
    Spoiler: PbP Games
    Show

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BardGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Skulls and Shackles IC

    Before the pirate in the marvelous hat can muster the air to puff up angrily and respond, the whip-wielding man shouts again. "Are ye ****in' stupid? One more word outta ye an' I'll have these men beat ye bloody. Ye're lucky that the Cap'n needs bodies or I'd throw ye t' th' sharks!" The man's whip lashes out, striking the large man.

    Spoiler
    Show
    5 nonlethal damage.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Mystical Land of Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Skulls and Shackles IC

    Saw that coming. Thok crossed his arms, and waited for whatever this man's demands were.
    78% of DMs started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

    Where did you start yours?

    In a small village, during the Rite of Passage for some promising young warriors.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010

    Default Re: Skulls and Shackles IC

    Kreiya

    A certain grey eyed, platinum blonde haired woman sat in the corner watching the scene before her in amusement. She shook her head as she nurtured a new bruise on her neck, damn it hurt.

    Gods what a lackluster predicament. Gang planked and robbed. That last one really rubbed Kreiya the wrong way. Only she could steal from others, not the other way around, wasn't fair and stuff! But damn...that food last night was good...but damn...Her head hurt, really just everything hurt. Everything...disjointed. She didn't even remember drinking that much either that she would pass out. What happened? Ugh. Just ugh and ow. Someone was going to pay for this. But not now, she knew well enough when to make her move. A good thief always knew when to make their move on their target, one wrong move and you could find yourself tossed in jail.

    "Oooof....that sounds...painful.."
    Kreiya winced as she watched the surly bear of man get stuck with the whip. Oof. Not something she wanted for herself, better him than her. She needed a plan to get through this. Clearly she and her fellow...others in here were possibly overpowered, so brute force was less likely a thing that could help, as exampled by you know who.

    Compliance right now seemed the best choice, good old fashioned feigned compliance. As her mind raced with ideas, she scooted over closer the blonde woman in here. She seemed, by her words, a really good butt kisser, or totally naive, either way, Kreiya saw her as a maybe ally, especially if the girl turned out to be on the naive side, easier to manipulate. Plus, she had nice tracts of land.
    Last edited by Benson; 2014-02-25 at 12:49 AM.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BardGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Skulls and Shackles IC

    The man nods when Henry backs down, closing his snarling, gilded mouth but not looking any more pleasant. "Arrite. If ye whelps are done ****in' around, hop up on deck an' meet yer cap'n. Now!" He snaps the whip in the air at his last word. He seemed fond of that. Likely, that would be a thing with him, snapping his whip to accentuate his speech. What an *******.

    The pirate posse moves out of the way, ready to herd the press-ganged crew up on deck once they got moving.
    Last edited by TheVitulus; 2014-02-25 at 08:26 AM.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2006

    Default Re: Skulls and Shackles IC

    As Mazin shifted a bit further away from the action, and obviously wanted no part of what was unfolding, Betsy adjusted her stance to place herself subtly between him and the gang of goons, as if she might be shielding him a bit.

    Her one unpatched blue eye squinted with a wince when she saw the tip of that whip crack against Henry's flesh, leaving a terrible oozing welt against his flesh. It took significant skill and practice to handle a whip like that. The tall lanky girl's upper lip curved a bit in sympathetic distaste, even as she was impressed by Henry's lack of reaction.

    Betsy noticed that Kreiya was gawking at her and she nodded toward the guy with the whip and his array of goons, indicating that Kreiya should perhaps pay attention to them instead, lest they grow jealous!

    Once it seemed that maybe this little pissing contest seemed to be over, Betsy did as the guy said and headed up to the deck to meet the captain, pausing only a moment to make sure the rest of the new crewmembers weren't going to do anything stupid. She gave them the "don't do anything else stupid" look even! But she didn't say anything, this whip guy was obviously the I talk, you listen type.
    Last edited by AmusingSN; 2014-02-25 at 08:34 AM.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Escheton's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Netherlands

    Default Re: Skulls and Shackles IC

    As the group "follows" their captors Hallrún makes sure to note the make and quality of the ship, as well as the minimal requirements to keep it sailing. If close enough he also pays careful attention to the quality of the knotwork. Figuring these brutes are a lot more of a handful if they are skilled sailors on homeground rather than just some thugs on a schooner.
    As for the thugs, right now he just counts heads and tries to seem unassuming.
    Once he gets the chance he looks overboard and/or at the skies for any "landmarks" or notable star configurations to indicate location and heading.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Knowledge (Engineering)(1d20+6)[7]
    Profession(Sailor)(1d20+8)[17]
    Knowledge(Geography(1d20+10)[11]

    Spoiler: Statblock
    Show
    Hallrún
    Male N Elf Slayer 1, Level 1, Init +5, HP 10/10, DR Resist cold 5, Speed 30ft
    AC 13, Touch 13, Flat-footed 10, CMD 17, Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +1, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Unarmed Strike +4 (1d3+3, x2)Abilities Str 16, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 19, Wis 12, Cha 12
    Condition

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010

    Default Re: Skulls and Shackles IC

    Kreiya just gave her one of those 'pshaw' sort of hand gestures, following it up with a wink as she then gave her divided attention to Mister Whip-cracks-alot.

    She braced herself for the sudden shift from dark cramped quarters into blazing sun light and open air. You know the /uuuugh/ making feeling of going outside, having the sunlight hurt your eyes a little.

    She looked around, trying to get a sense of the ship along with an average of just how many pirates were on board.
    Spoiler: Perception Check
    Show

    [Perception Check for seeing how many pirates could possibly be on board] (1d20+5)[19]

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2006

    Default Re: Skulls and Shackles IC

    When Betsy reached the top of the stairs, she paused a moment to help the rest of the new crew members up and out onto the deck. She had a feeling this might be the first time on a ship for some of them, and they might welcome a steadying hand.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Mystical Land of Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Skulls and Shackles IC

    Thok followed along placidly, nodding politely to this den-mother-type offering aide as they climbed out of the hold, accepting the offered hand. Between his natural steadiness, general sense, and time spent before the mast, his sea legs were more than up to par, but that didn't mean he needed to be a ponce.

    The taste of the sea in his lungs, and with sunlight pouring down on them, Thok was struck with a moment of bliss. Even though the circumstances of this voyage weren't a far shot better than his previous, it was nice to be back out on the water.

    He looked around at the ship, making to get a feel of its size and about how many folks were aboard.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception check to get a feel for the ship and notice any noteworthy people abovedecks, and a Profession (Sailor) to guesstimate at the size of the crew and the layout.

    Perception: (1d20+7)[21]

    Profession (Sailor) (1d20+7)[20]
    78% of DMs started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

    Where did you start yours?

    In a small village, during the Rite of Passage for some promising young warriors.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BardGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Skulls and Shackles IC

    Spoiler: Betsy, Henry, Kreiya, Hallrún: Perception 10
    Show
    As you climb to the upper deck, you notice a faint aftertaste of nutmeg on your tongue.


    Spoiler: Betsy, Henry, Hallrún: Knowledge(Nature) 10
    Show
    You remember that the taste of nutmeg is a clear sign of taggit poisoning. That would explain how you fell unconscious. They must have slipped it into your drink.


    Spoiler: Hallrún: Intelligence 10
    Show
    In fact, the face of your whip-wielding taskmaster looks familiar. Didn't you see him last night?


    Spoiler: Hallrún, Thok, Kreiya: Sailor 15/Perception 10
    Show
    The ship seems in great shape, though many of the repairs look fresh, as if the ship had been through some ordeal recently. Many of the pirate escorts seem a bit unsure on their feet as they herd the group on deck, indicating they might be rookies.


    Spoiler: Thok and Betsy: Perception <Arbitrary number pulled out of my ass>
    Show
    Spoiler: I mean, counting people isn't really something you fail at
    Show
    Spoiler: Why am I even bothering spoilering this? I'm gonna put it in the normal post anyway.
    Show
    Spoiler: Suppose giving you an exact number is more appropriate since you took the time to check.
    Show
    Spoiler: Want your count? Fine. Here.
    Show
    Including the group that herded you on deck, there seem to be thirty crewmembers on deck. Likely, this is the entire crew, including officers, since the captain is making an address.


    The group is herded up through a hatch onto the main deck of the three-masted sailing ship. The deck itself is about thirty feet in width and forty feet long, with the poop deck and foredeck extending beyond that. In the distance off the port side, Port Peril is an ochre haze in the distance. A variety of crowd around the mainmast, staring up at a pair of figures on the higher, stern-side deck. One is a broad, muscular Garundi man with a shaven head, a long bear bound with gold rings, and an eyepatch. The other is a younger man with his head completely shaved save for a long topknot. He is clad in a long coat and wields a cat-o'-nine-tails.

    The group is moved to stand next to four other uneasy-looking crewmembers. Given their demeanor and relative cleanness, they are likely new recruits as well.

    The whip-wielding man and the Garundi man share a nod and he changes topics. He speaks with a booming, commanding voice. "Glad you could join us at last. Welcome to the Wormwood! I'm Captain Barnabas Harrigan and this here's Mister Plugg, my first mate. You've been chosen to join my crew. If you follow commands and work well, you'll be well taken care of. If you don't... I will have no use for you." That last sentence hangs in the air, heavy with the unspoken threat. "Even with you new recruits, we are under-manned and I will not be losing any crew I have. There will be no thieving or killing on my ship and any who do so will be keelhauled." He pauses for a moment then barks to the man beside him, "Mister Plugg! Do me a favor and make pirates out of these landlubbers."

    At the end of his speech, the captain walks away and the crew disperses, save for the newest recruits. The first mate stomps down to the main deck. "Alright. Line up, you whelps! Let's see what worthless ****s Scourge brought me this time."
    Last edited by TheVitulus; 2014-02-25 at 01:52 PM.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Mystical Land of Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Skulls and Shackles IC

    Thok is thoroughly unimpressed by Plugg's bravado, but immediately finds himself with no choice but to respect Harrigan. A pirate, willing to press-gang, but with rules. Probably a decent career, by the shape of his ship and the manpower aboard it. Big fellow, too.

    At Plugg's command, Thok steps forward and stands at crisp attention, having no desire to find himself on the business end of the Cat (or put anyone else on it, for that matter). Although he may be the shortest of his bunch besides the ratman, his extremely burly body was well-shaped by the discipline of his childhood and his training to stand proud as a soldier and a sailor.

    There was a hope, in the back of his mind, that his initiative and practiced hand would get on Plugg's --maybe even Harrigan's-- good side. From there, he might have a real chance of helping these other poor bastards get by.
    78% of DMs started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

    Where did you start yours?

    In a small village, during the Rite of Passage for some promising young warriors.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BardGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Skulls and Shackles IC

    When Plugg reaches the group, he stops in front of Thok first. "What's this, a ****in' goblin? What, Scourge, did you catch him stealing a goat or fighting a cripple?" He spits on the deck of the ship. "Disgusting. What am I supposed to do with you?"

    The whip-wielding taskmaster, Scourge, gives a gross cackle at his boss' insults.
    Last edited by TheVitulus; 2014-02-25 at 02:11 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2006

    Default Re: Skulls and Shackles IC

    The Captain was clearly a dangerous man to ruthlessly command this much respect aboard the ship. He didn't seem afraid of mutiny, and with this brutal start, his intimidation must be well backed up with strength. Betsy surveyed the situation. He needed crew, that was a bit of an advantage. He'd hesitate, just a bit, to kill them. Of course, he'd have to kill one of them. Make an example of them. If not kill, at least ruthlessly beat.

    This Ulfen-Blooded Lass planned on not being that person.

    She already felt some sympathy with the other new crew members, she felt like they all were, forgive the expression, in the same boat. No allies, no friends, no clue.

    They needed to stick together, even if none of the rest of them realized that. If they were to survive. They might even be able to do more than survive. They might be able to prosper. This was clearly a pirate ship from the looks of it, and that meant they weren't slaves, really. It was a fine distinction, but pirates didn't, generally, keep slaves. Being pressed into service is a different matter altogether. She didn't want to sympathize with the captain too much, but she felt it was helpful to get into his way of thinking.

    This brutality was obviously a routine for them. Some pirates, a lot of pirates, were like this. She remembered seeing several of the worst have their own crew turn against them the first chance they got, when she was board the Chelaxian galleon. Betsy vowed to run things differently when she had her own ship. Some day.

    You had to be an example. Punish reluctantly and with a loving hand. Discipline was always to build up, to guide, to correct, never to keep down, to destroy, to humiliate. Your men could love you, and respect you. There was a line you could walk.

    The lanky Sea-Singer could learn a lot from this experience. Learn what to do, and what not to do. What worked, and what didn't work.

    For now, she'd watch and observe. Try to keep her fellow crew alive and well as long as she could, when she could, until the opportunity arose for them all to get off this miserable ship. Or to make the brutal sons of bitches walk the plank and take the ship for their own.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Mystical Land of Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Skulls and Shackles IC

    The cracks about goblins didn't bother him much: For the most part, they were true of the bite-sized buggers. No need to correct them that he was a hobgoblin, either. Also no need to speak any better than these rotten-toothed humans; blending in was a damn handy asset when your entire society was viewed by others as a relentless war machine.

    Even if it was true.

    "Trained a'fore the mast, sir. Make a good rigger, good swab, good surgeon. You tell me jump, I'll jump. Just a chance to prove meself, s'all I ask." Thok met Plugg's gaze without turning his neck, and began speaking in his usual gruff, measured whisper --a habit he realized in that moment would probably prove a pain in his gray-green ass.
    78% of DMs started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

    Where did you start yours?

    In a small village, during the Rite of Passage for some promising young warriors.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BardGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Skulls and Shackles IC

    Plugg glares at the monk. "Somethin' wrong with your throat, whelp? You ****in' speak up while talking to me. You wanna be a rigger? Start climbin'. Up to the crow's nest, goblin. Scourge! Get counting!"

    He then moves down the line to Henry, looking up at the man. "You're a big ****er, ain'cha? Look like Owlbear with hair, that stupid ****ing orc. You useless as him too?"

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Mystical Land of Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Skulls and Shackles IC

    Thok nodded to Plugg, and opened a dead sprint to the rigging. Practically flying across the deck, he jumped onto the ropes and began the practiced movements of ascending the makeshift ladder to the top of the mast.

    As he went hand over hand, making what he hoped was good time, Thok remembered fondly the first time he'd looked out at the ocean from the nest of the Fanged Bounty. It was just after he'd been allowed run of the ship, being a full member of the crew instead of rowing and carpentry labor.

    The memory of that beautiful blue was, without a doubt, the one thing that made this whole mess something he was happy to get back into.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Climbing at normal speed, roll is in the OOC.
    Last edited by Julian928; 2014-02-25 at 04:23 PM.
    78% of DMs started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

    Where did you start yours?

    In a small village, during the Rite of Passage for some promising young warriors.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Escheton's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Netherlands

    Default Re: Skulls and Shackles IC

    With Barnabas' speech, Hallrún relaxes in earnest. The man seems harsh but competent. And he is personally not unfamiliar with the necessity of brutal practices. He'd have preferred not to encounter it in this way. But life is harsh, and the meek have no place at sea. Or ports with disreputable statuses.

    When the rebel calls for weapons the elf chimes in "You do still have our weapons, do you not?I can understand being denied access to them right now. The plank possibly not being enough motivation to stay the hand. But if I find my blade is lost I will use that hand to personally end whoever was responceable for that decision.
    That said, I can get behind the captain's words and have plenty experience aship. "

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BardGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Skulls and Shackles IC

    Plugg glares at the man. "You'll be armed when I feel you've earned it. Now get learning. Climb!" He points at one of the pirates who had herded you to the deck, a big-nosed dwarf. "Tate! Count!"

    He then moves down to Hallrún, glaring angrily at the elf. "Was I ****in' talkin' to you, knife-ears? I don't take kindly to threats, especially from one of you." He spits on the deck. "Get out of my face. Follow the monkey and the giant up the rigging. Beat 'em if you can." He points at a big, scowling Rahadoumi. "Maheem! Count!"
    Last edited by TheVitulus; 2014-02-25 at 07:33 PM.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Escheton's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Netherlands

    Default Re: Skulls and Shackles IC

    "Thats one...", Hallrun whispers under his breath, mind focused on Plugg as to make sure the message reaches his ears as he spurts towards the ropes.
    Spoiler
    Show

    60ft total
    First 15ft(1 move): accelerated climb(-5)(1d20+2)[7]
    Second 15ft(2 moves): (1d20+7)[23]
    Third 15ft(2 moves):(1d20+7)[26]
    Fourth 15ft(2 moves):(1d20+7)[27]
    Total: 21 seconds (if all make it)

    If/then/elses:
    Running jump into the rigging: (1d20+11)[28]
    Extra climbs for failing <5: (1d20+7)[21], (1d20+7)[24], (1d20+7)[26], (1d20+7)[9]
    Acrobatic for reducing 10ft fall if failing a climb by 5 or more: (1d20+7)[10],


  28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    GMT-8

    Default Re: Skulls and Shackles IC

    Damn... I'm probably not suited for this sort of physical work. I should try to feign incompetency to try to avoid this kind of job. If the ship really is undermanned, then they can probably assign me somewhere else. Then again, for climbing... I don't know if I even have to feign my incompetency. Mazin cringes his nose again as he moves forward in the line (faking a limp in his left leg as he does so).

    "Sorry, sir. I'm useless at this kind of thing but I'll try my best. It will be hard climbing with only one healthy leg; perhaps whoever was responsible for pressing me last night used a little too much force," Mazin offers to Plugg. Then he limps on over to the rigging, ready to put on a show of climbing it with only three limbs.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff: (1d20+5)[6]
    Climb: (1d20-1)[17] minus whatever penalty I take for climbing with only three limbs

    Other Four Rolls if Needed:
    Climb: (1d20-1)[2]
    Climb: (1d20-1)[3]
    Climb: (1d20-1)[16]
    Climb: (1d20-1)[5]
    Spoiler: PbP Games
    Show

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BardGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Skulls and Shackles IC

    Plugg then moves on to the next in line, a ratfolk, ready to give his best scowl and racist insults when the thing suddenly blathers about his leg and proceeds to do a horrible imitation of a limp and repeatedly fall off the rigging. By the end of it, Plugg is speechless and Scourge, along with several pirates, are laughing uproariously at the rat-man.

    "Keep count! he barks once he regains his composure. "And you! Just… Stay there… Don't get up. I'll deal with you later."

    The first mate sighs, shaking his head, before moving on to Betsy and Krieya. "You two, just get the **** up the rigging. Chumlett! Bansion! Count!"
    Last edited by TheVitulus; 2014-02-25 at 08:49 PM.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2006

    Default Re: Skulls and Shackles IC

    Betsy moved up to the rigging. Climbing ropes. Not her finest skill to say the least. She whistled a quiet tune to distract her mind from the danger. 60'! That's crazy high.

    With a quiet prayer to the Pirate Goddess herself, she gripped the rigging and began her way up.

    Spoiler: Climbing Rolls
    Show

    0' to 7.5' (1d20+2)[9] DC 10; fall on 5 or less
    7.5' to 15' (1d20+2)[18] DC 10; fall on 5 or less
    15' to 22.5' (1d20+2)[12] DC 10; fall on 5 or less
    22.5' to 30' (1d20+2)[20] DC 10; fall on 5 or less
    30' to 37.5' (1d20+2)[14] DC 10; fall on 5 or less
    37.5' to 45' (1d20+2)[5] DC 10; fall on 5 or less
    45' to 52.5' (1d20+2)[3] DC 10; fall on 5 or less
    52.5' to 60' (1d20+2)[6] DC 10; fall on 5 or less

    Bonus Climb Rolls to replace failures but not falls (any rolls between 6 and 9). These are also DC 10 and fall on a 5 or less.

    (1d20+2)[16]
    (1d20+2)[20]
    (1d20+2)[5]
    (1d20+2)[22]
    (1d20+2)[17]
    (1d20+2)[17]
    (1d20+2)[21]

    And acrobatics roll to ignore the first 10' damage on a fall: (1d20+6)[8] DC 15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •