Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon

Thread: Epic Levels

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Epic Levels

The general consensus seems to be that epic levels are broken. I'm not going to disagree with that. But here's the question: how would you go about making them less broken?

The first thing I thought of is too abandon epic spells completely and fix up epic feats and epic melee. But I have no idea how to go about doing so. Basically, I just want to rewrite epic rules and need help from all you clever homebrewing type people out there.

Any ideas? Advice? Anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bears With Lasers View Post
    Yes! CLEARLY your personal experience is a better, more accurate source of statistics than a nationwide survey! Man, it rocks to be you!
    (Not referring to me)
    Spoiler
    Show

Ilidan by Were-sandwich. Drenai Tieflings and Human by me.

Owner of a Darkcoraxatar.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Epic Levels

Well, what I've been considering, but takes a lot of work is just to write an additional 10/20 levels to each class, complete with (new) class abilities and spells (which are grouped into the traditional levels, you gain your 10th level spell at wizard level 21 and such, one new spell level about every four levels) This would require writing additional spells and class abilities, as well as familiar (and similar) advancements for the epic levels.
    ٩๏̯͡๏
    New found land. It's like Untitled Document, for places - Flickerdart

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

I would personally just say "throw epic enemies against them". If the PCs can defeat the monsters in the book then make a rival group of epic NPCs.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Gezina View Post
    Well, what I've been considering, but takes a lot of work is just to write an additional 10/20 levels to each class, complete with (new) class abilities and spells (which are grouped into the traditional levels, you gain your 10th level spell at wizard level 21 and such, one new spell level about every four levels) This would require writing additional spells and class abilities, as well as familiar (and similar) advancements for the epic levels.
    That only extends the length of time spent pre-epic. The entire point of epic levels is to create some method of extending things indefinitely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

One thin with which I wholeheartedly and enthusiastically agree with. Epic Spellcasting needs a big plate of humility, and then some. We even had a competition on the Gaming and General RPG forums here on giantitp last year to animate the planet Earth at level 21. There were around seven viable ways to do this.
    Water, Earth, Fire, and Air: Benders of the Avatar world
    Monks and Rangers for a non-magical world
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL View Post
    Edition Wars and Nerd Rage destroyed Rome. Ceasar died because he was a crappy DM.
    Avatar By the amazing Mephibosheth

6. - Top - End - #6
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

What was the CR and hit points of this monstrosity of an animated object?
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

It has a CR and hp of you lose!

Actually, what a 21st level wizard can animiate, a 20th level wizard could probably deanimate, destroy, enslave, or all of the above.
    Attention Imgur Users! Imgur apparently doesn't like hosting images anymore and only works in certain places or for people who already have the image cached: No one can see your avatars or images!
    Also Photobucket users? Don't know if it's a bandwidth or region lock or something, but I'm seeing some avatars blurred out with a watermark that looks like the photobucket icon.
    And Tinypic went down a while back, seeing plenty of old avatars showing their downed image.
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

8. - Top - End - #8

Epic Spells were a better idea then 10th and 11th level spells. Once you get to level 37 and can cast 18th level spells then you're DM will be fed up of making up new spells.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

If your DM didnt want to make up 18th level spells, he would have killed you off back at level 22.

Anyway, a wizard should make up his own level 10+ spells, with the DM adjudicating. Otherwise, artifacts would still be being made. The whole point of epic levels, as far as I can see it, is the PCs are the first to get there for as long as anyone could care to remember.
    We the Unwilling,
    Lead by the Unqualified,
    Have been doing the Unimagineble
    For so Long, with so Little,
    That we shall now attempt the Impossible
    With Nothing!