A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 38 123456789101126 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 1111
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Perilous Reclamation - IC

    Landing

    After weeks at sea you are relieved to finally see white chalk cliffs on the horizon. Standing on the forecastle out of the way of the crew you can see the entrance to a sheltered bay surrounded by white cliffs and of a battered tower perched atop the western headland overlooking the bay.

    Eager to be back on dry land you are surprised to hear the anchor drop and see the crew furling the sails. Reacting to your surprise one of the sailors spits out into the ocean and says "When the Pulse hit we got pretty shook up over in Eronia but it must have been worse here. The entire coastline is shattered and we reckon there used to be a city beneath us here. Take a look..."

    Leaning over the rail and peering through the clear water you can just about make out the shapes of buildings beneath the waves.

    The sailor spits again and continues "At low tide there's towers and buildings sticking out of the water, at high tide we can sail on through so long as we takes our time. Don't wanna get caught up on anythin'." He points out to where you can see a small boat on the horizon, "There's fishermen here in small boats gettin' good catches by fishing between the buildings, although I reckon they should be careful it's not just fish they catch iffen ye get me drift.".

    After a wait of a few hours the captain judges the tide is high enough and the ship pulls forwards, with sailors calling depths and keeping a sharp eye out to avoid the ruins below the waves. Finally the ship pulls into a sheltered cove and you set eyes upon Landing for the first time.

    Landing is a small town, just starting to take shape. It has a very wild and frontier feeling, although it is surrounded by a sturdy wooden palisade and you can see a lot of armed men and women moving around.

    As the ship finds its mooring at the docks you can see people crowding around to unload the supplies contributed by those countries that are providing goods and resources rather than manpower. A group of dwarves are doing some construction work on the docks and you think they must be part of the contingent from the Mountain Halls. It was announced that 25 dwarves led by the grizzled veteran Durtan Ironbeard would join the expedition. While capable of fighting they are mostly present as engineers and sappers, improving the defenses and facilities of the growing town.

    You can see a few smaller fishing boats offloading their catch while the muddy unpaved street is bustling with people. There are several squads of swordsmen in chain mail armour with shields on their backs bearing the blue symbol of King Peter's men. Some of the swordsmen are going about their business while others are standing around just keeping an eye on proceedings. You heard that the famous veteran Sir Roschdale, Knight of Renown, had volunteered to leads a force of 100 men as his liege's contribution to the expedition.

    At that moment six men wearing studded leather armour, with short swords and daggers in their belt and crossbows on their back cross the road. They carry on their shoulders two poles, with a deer slung from each pole. Countess Eloise Trevail has brought a force of 50 scouts and hunters from the Free States of Trevath and at first sight they look like they know how to handle themselves.

    The largest building by the docks, and one of the few buildings with a second floor, caries a sign with a crude drawing of an Anchor upon it. A quick glance inside shows a large common room with a rush-covered floor, a kitchen, and stairs leading to an upper floor. The innkeeper bustles over and introduces himself.

    "Welcome to The Anchor, I'm Henry Butterfield and we offer the best value stay in Landing. 1gp a week will give you food to eat and a spot on the common room floor to roll out your bedding. 5gp a week will get you a private room with 2 beds and food for 2 people. Up to two more can sleep on the floor in the room and be fed for 1gp each."

    Stepping back out into the street you slog through the mud up away from the docks and find a small walled compound, with the only trees still standing in Landing forming part of the compound wall. The gate is open but a pair of elves stand beside it and you do not see many people entering or leaving. You do remember that 25 elves led by the mysterious Elgan Graceling are the contribution from the Woodland realm of Arian. Archers of great renown they are well skilled with the powerful longbows that each carries.

    Moving on you find three more walled compounds within the town, each one seeming to be the base for one of the expedition's leaders. You estimate that in total the town must have a population of at least 500 people and there are tiny ramshackle wooden houses crowded into every available space inside the walls.

    Moving back down towards the docks you find a market area, The Market has a selection of Weapon Smiths and Armourers available along with a fair range of foodstuffs and seems to do a brisk trade supporting both the garrisons and adventurers. More exotic supplies are harder to come by but there is one shop tucked away down a side street and identified by a sprig of herbs hanging by the door. It is run by a man with long straggly hair named Cabal Milestone and he is rumored to deal in supplies of a magical nature.


    The last point of interest is the second Inn in town. It is placed away from the noise and smell of the docks and is marked by the stuffed head of a wolf mounted above the door. A look inside shows that it offers nicer food and cleaner beds than the Anchor but it is also much more expensive. The fees are 1gp a night for food and crash space, 25gp a week for a room with 2 beds. You also notice that neither Inn has a stables, and in fact there seem to be very few animals around at all in Landing. No dogs barking, no horsemen riding past, not even animals hauling carts to carry goods to market.

    A Map of Landing
    Spoiler
    Show

    Click for larger


    Map Key:
    1. Docks
    2. The Anchor
    3. Graceling's Compound
    4. Roschdale's Compound
    5. Trevail's Compound
    6. Ironbeard's Compound
    7. The Market
    8. The Wolf's Head
    9. Milestone's Shop



    A Map of Pyreal as explored so far
    Spoiler
    Show


    Click for larger



    Scale: Each Hex is 25 miles

    Locations of Interest:
    0905: Pixies!
    0906: Silvercrown Hill (All the woods around 0906 are called the Twilight Woods)
    0805: Sunken City
    0806: (North) Landing
    0806: (South) Durn's Stand
    0806: (Southwest of town) A strange sealed tower
    0608: The "Lost World" Plateau
    0706: Cave with DDoD, Stoneforge & Quarry
    0705: Giant Ant's Nest
    0606: On the border with 0706 - The Mine
    0506: Possible site of a manticore nest
    0406/0407/0306: A massive roughly circular lake with a single enormous mountain in the center



    The Village of Stoneforge
    Spoiler
    Show




    Thanks to Talvara for drawing this map as his character had been involved in the design of the settlement.

    Last edited by ZarchAlDain; 2014-05-18 at 03:33 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Reference

    Laws

    There are no formal laws of Landing. The four leaders of the expedition use their forces to keep the peace and transgressions are handled on a case-by-case basis. Crime is punished harshly and swiftly and so far the criminal element that plagues many larger towns hasn't really formed. Crimes tend to be defined as assaults against persons, theft of property, and anything that threatens the safety of Landing. The vague term "dabbling in dangerous magics" is also bandied around but so far spell casters have been actively protected by the soldiers so long as they are reasonable discreet.

    Notable People - The Expedition Leaders

    Sir Roschdale, Knight of Renown

    Sir Roschdale is a skilled swordsman and cavalier, instrumental in putting down several rebellions and border skirmishes. He's the nominal leader of the expedition but does not have absolute authority as each other leader has command over their own people.

    Sir Roschdale has:
    100 humans garrisoned at Landing
    30 humans garrisoned at Durn's Stand

    Durtan Ironbeard

    A veteran of many battles Durtan Ironbeard was at the forefront of reclaiming the Mountain Halls for his people. Skilled in both battle and in construction he was the natural choice to lead the expedition in that capacity.

    Durtan Ironbeard has
    25 dwarves garrisoned at Landing
    50 dwarves garrisoned at Stoneforge

    Countess Eloise Trevail

    The Countess was an adventurer herself in her younger years, a talented Bard her adventuring party formed the Free States of Trevath, with each free state being led be one member of the party. Rumor has it that after years of action and adventure the life of a sedate noblewoman did not agree with her so she leaped at the chance to regain a taste of adventure while still sleeping in a comfortable bed.

    Countess Trevail has
    60 humans and half-elves garrisoned at Landing
    30 garrisoned at Durn's Stand
    10 garrisoned at Stoneforge

    Elgan Graceling

    Tall, slender, and blonde Elgan Graceling is very much the stereo-typical elf. A silver in her hair and lines on her face show her advancing age but her eyes are still as piercing as ever. More than one person in Landing has found themselves begging for her forgiveness after nothing more than a look. Little is known of her past, but the elves with her hold her in high esteem.

    Elgan Graveling has 50 elves garrisoned at Landing

    Notable People - Commoners

    Henry Butterfield - Innkeeper at the Anchor

    With his growing girth and permanently red cheeks Henry is constantly running around as he tries to keep his cobbled-together Inn from falling apart. Cheerful and boisterous he welcomes all his regulars by name and keeps the Inn as well as he can without raising his prices.

    Cabal Milestone - Shopkeeper

    Cabal's small shop contains powders and herbs reputed to treat upset stomachs and other similar ailments. He is a scrawny nervous little man, with a rat-like nose and long greasy and straggly hair.

    Old Meg - Healer

    Old Meg is the expedition's healer, a half elf from the free states she's been a healer (of the non-magical variety) for most of her hundred years and is a dab hand with the sewing kit. She's patched up more wounds than most people on the expedition have had hot dinners. She runs a stall on the market where people can come to her with questions and she sells healing supplies on the side.

    Irkan Irongrip - Mastersmith

    Irkan is an average height but extremely powerfully built dwarf and the master-smith for the dwarven compound. He's an expert on metals, forging, refining and both weapon and armour smithing.
    Last edited by ZarchAlDain; 2014-07-05 at 02:00 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Bounty Boards

    Bounty Boards

    Outside each compound is a board on which bounties are posted for any adventurers who feel up to taking on the challenges they offer. Players are welcome to follow up on any of these bounties or come up with their own plans and ideas.

    Sir Roschdale's bounties:

    Completed:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Wanted for questioning

    It seems the rat attacks upon our people have been orchestrated by a foul Wererat who was turning the vermin to his own ends and using them to cover his activity. He has been driven out of town and is no immediate danger to anyone but I am authorizing a bounty on the head both of the Wererat and his accomplices. They will rue the day they ever came to Landing!

    2500gp: The head of the Wererat himself, whether still attached to his body or not.
    2500gp: There is possibility that these attacks are linked to a Relic, a lingering magic item from before the Pulse. We will offer 2500gp for recovery of the Relic should it prove to be the source of this evil.
    1000gp dead, 1500gp alive: Daria - Female Human
    1000gp dead, 1500gp alive: Qinove - Female Gnome
    1000gp dead, 1500gp alive: Tyrvoril - Male Half Elf


    Missing People!

    On the night of the 26th there were several reports of disturbances in town and the following people have been reported missing. Please check up on them and let us know if they have been found and whether we should be organising search parties.

    Adtharn - Male Dwarf, last seen heading towards the forests - found
    Daria - Female Human, last seen at home
    Howard - Male Human, last seen at home - body recovered
    Qinove - Female Gnome, last seen at home
    Rike - Male Human, Last seen drinking at the Anchor - found
    Tyrvoril - Male Half Elf, last seen unknown, strange noises heard from house on the day of disappearance
    Welrana, Female Halfling never returned from the market - body recovered

    Destroy the Owlbears - 500gp1000gp!

    We are considering founding another village along Waterbrook and inland from Landing. Hunting, logging and farming activity could be based in this village. We do not know the range on those Owlbears though so the proposed location may be too close. I am adding a bounty of 500gp from King Peter's coffers to the existing bounty from the Free States. Eliminate those beasts and we can finally start using that land for farming, hunting and lumber.

    Additionally those who defeat the Owlbear will be invited to suggest a name for the new Settlement although I reserve the right to make the final decision.

    A second note has been tacked on: Increased bounty to 1000gp, let's get rid of these beasts!


    Rescue the Scouts

    I care about the fate of every expedition member, and while I do not have enough men to help directly I will personally add to the bounty for the recovery or rescue of the missing scouts.

    For each missing scout I will pay a bounty of 150gp to the person who brings them back alive. Alternatively should our fears be realised I will pay 50gp for proof of each scout's fate.


    Cleanse water supply - 1000gp

    There are few safe places to land ships on this blasted land, and we chose this location due to the presence of the small river known as Waterbrook. Unfortunately on regular occasions the water runs brown and many people who drink from it during that time become seriously ill. Now people are reluctant to drink from it at all even when it has the usual coloration and and we are reliant on imported drinking supplies. Follow the stream upriver, locate and remove the source of the taint.


    Wipe out the Giant Rat nest - 1000gp

    On the night of the 28th a large number of giant rats the size of dogs ran through Landing attacking people. No-one was killed by there were a number of injuries, some quite serious. There must be a nest of these beasts somewhere in town. Find it and wipe out the vermin, none must survive or they will just spawn more of their unclean kind!





    Countess Trevail's bounties:


    We have established peaceful contact with a community of Pixies living east of town. No residents of Landing or our other settlements are to disturb them without invitation. Peaceful relations with our new neighbors are of paramount importance for the ongoing prosperity of our town. Consequentially unless traveling with someone carrying a Holey Stone or directly invited by the Pixies the area is strictly off limits for travel and all other uses.


    Completed:
    Spoiler
    Show


    Destroy the Owlbears - 1000gp

    A breeding pair of Owlbears is living in The Twilight Woods. Their cubs have been slain but they remain and are incredibly dangerous. They must be eliminated before any further scouting expeditions can enter that entire section of woods. Do not under any circumstances climb Silvercrown hill.

    Clear Twilight Woods - 1000-1250gp

    The Twilight Woods stand southeast of town, and our scouts have found timber within that has valuable properties. However something dangerous also lurks within the wood as the scouts that found the timber also reported finding the tracks of some large creature. The scouts went back to investigate further and are now a week overdue to return. Destroy the creature or creatures within the woods and secure the area for a bounty of 1000gp. Additionally I will pay 50gp for each of the five members of the scouting party to either rescue them or find definitive knowledge of their fate.


    Durtan Ironbeard's bounties:

    Completed:

    Spoiler
    Show


    Clear the Old Mine - 2000gp
    First level - 3000gp - Completed
    To reach Cold Iron - 1500gp and a Cold Iron item of your choice - Completed
    To reach Mithral - 1500gp and a Mithral item of your choice - Cancelled due to discovery of potentially friendly inhabitants on that level.

    A potentially viable old mine containing at least Iron Ore and possibly more has been located north-west of the Stoneforge location. The mine has almost certainly been occupied by undesirable creatures and may be unstable or otherwise unsafe. Clear the mine of hazards so that it can be re-opened.

    Additionally early reports suggest that the mine may contain rare metals, should this be true those who clear the mine will be able to request any one weapon or armour to be made of each special metal found. They will receive the first item forged from the produce of the mine. The mining, refining and forging process could take several months or longer depending on the size and complexity of the item but the first item made will be yours.

    Locate the Giant Ant nest - 500gp

    Tracks of Giant Ants have been seen in the area north of the Stoneforge location. Identify the Ant's nest and estimate its size. A bounty may be offered for eradicating the nest if it is close enough to Stoneforge to be a problem but for now we just need its location and size.

    Secure the Stoneforge Location - 1500gp

    We are planning a new settlement to be named Stoneforge, my kin will lead the way but we invite all others from this expedition to join us lest we repeat the mistakes of the past and split once more into feuding factions. We require people to map the area around the proposed settlement location and to ensure that no dangerous beasts make their lair nearby.

    Locate building stone - 1000gp

    This area be all wood, mud and chalk. We can improve both the harbour and the town defenses a lot if we be getting stone of a the right quality. Our Quarymaster be saying that the hills southwest of town may contain suitable stone, we require people with appropriate knowledge to survey the area and identify a location where we can quarry good building stone and get it back to Landing.


    Elgan Graceling's bounties:

    Completed:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Identify the Sunken City - 500gp

    Maps from before the Pulse are sketchy at best but if we could identify the sunken city just north of Landing that will help us start to match up our new location with what we know of Pyreal before the cataclysm reshaped the land. I'll pay 500gp to anyone able to find evidence as to the name of the Sunken City or to find a sufficiently distinctive landmark to allow us to identify it.

    Investigate the tower - 750gp

    A tower from before the Pulse still stands upon the cliff overlooking the harbour. This would make an excellent watch tower and defensive point. Investigate the tower and ensure nothing dangerous lurks within. Be aware that the cliff has collapsed by the tower so reaching it may be perilous.
    Last edited by ZarchAlDain; 2014-08-18 at 02:25 AM.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Question Timeline

    (Note all months in this world have 30 days to keep things simple, the year is 360 days).

    252 AP (After Pulse) - Landing is founded

    253 AP March 12th - The latest wave of adventurers, fortune seekers and exiles arrive.

    253 AP March 13th - Thorik, Franklin, Sophie, Garret, Dougal and Terence head out in search for the missing scouts.

    253 AP March 18th - The party returns intact, having rescued two and found the remains of the other three.

    253 AP March 21st - Thorik, Franklin, Garret, Dougal and Terence head out following the river to find the source of the polution.

    253 AP March 28th - In the night Giant rats run amok through Landing attacking people.

    *FULL MOON* March 28th

    253 AP March 29th - The party return intact having found a polluted pool and diverted the flow of water from it away from the river. Thorik convinces Roschdale to pay out half the bounty immediately, the remaining 500gp will be paid to them if the water remains clear until April 13th.

    253 AP April 1st - Thorik, Franklin, Sophie, Garret, Dougal and Terence head southwest in search of a suitably Quarry site.

    253 AP April 3rd - The party return. Several are battered and bruised, and their armour has clearly seen some action, but all are standing. They provide Ironbeard with maps, samples, and details of a suitable Quarry site one day's travel from Landing. They even found the route of an old road cutting through the hills which should make it easier to transport the stone.

    253 AP April 5th Dougal, Franklin, Terence, Garret and Sophie track down the Dire Rat's nest through a mysterious hole in one of the houses at the northwest end of Landing. Beneath they found a complex of rooms riddled with traps, rats, and more. They emerged victorious the same day.

    253 AP April 8th Dougal recovers from Filth Fever.

    253 AP April 9th Franklin recovers from Filth Fever. A new ship arrives, bearing supplies, people, messages and reinforcements for the Free States compound.

    253 AP April 10th Dougal, Franklin, Garret, Sophie, Thorik and Davri cross the chasm on a makeshift rope bridge and clear The Tower, finding horrors from before The Pulse within.

    253 AP April 13th Working with the Elves the horrors within the tower are finally destroyed.

    253 AP April 15th Dougal, Franklin, Garret, Sophie, Thorik and Davri head out to scout the Stoneforge location.

    253 AP April 23nd They return having found a suitable place for the village and scouted the area around it south and west for danger. Only the area north and west still requires scouting They report a skirmish with a Manticore which flew away towards Mountains in hex 0506.

    253 AP April 24th Dougal, Franklin, Garret and Thorik set out to complete the scouting around Stoneforge.

    *FULL MOON* April 26th

    253 AP April 27th Seven people are reported missing from Landing in the night of the 26th or morning of the 27th. Two are found by the end of the day but the remaining five are not.

    253 AP April 30th The four scouts return having found an abandoned mine in hex 0605, and tracks in 0705 that suggest Giant Ants are in the area. Dougal is dragging a massive mining cart full of Iron Ore!

    253 AP May 2nd Dougal, Davri, Garret and Thorik set out to look for the Giant's Ant Nest.

    253 AP May 5th They return, having located the nest in the center of hex 0705. They report that it contains somewhere between 60 and 100 giant ants by their estimation!

    253 AP May 10th The Elven "Feast of the New Moon" happens with Dougal ignoring the invitation but Davri, Franklin and Thorik all attending.

    253 AP May 12th Franklin, Dougal and Thorik investigate the missing people around town.

    253 AP May 13th Franklin, Dougal and Thorik take a freshly enchanted All-Terrain Cart pulled by summoned light horses out for a test spin.

    253 AP May 15th They return having made it to the Plateau and back in half the time it took without the cart. Some more rocks had fallen in but the stream was not blocked yet, they cleared the rocks. They found a magic shield that the previous expedition had missed, fought an aquatic dinosaur that seemed to have been fallen down from the plateau, and discovered that the plateau itself is covered in a jungle.

    253 AP May 16th Franklin hosts a dinosaur-meat BBQ on the beach. Most of the town turns out and it turns into an impromptu celebration and goodbye for the Stoneforge expedition which is leaving the following day.

    253 AP May 17th Franklin, Davri, Thorik and Dougal head into the forest to follow up on the tracks Alice found. They return the same day with the remains of Welrana and Howard.

    253 AP May 18th A new ship arrives in Landing, mostly full of settlers, stonemasons and similar destined for Stoneforge although there are a few new adventurers within them. The boat also carries a number of cats who are sent to Roschdale's compound, not long afterwards both The Anchor and The Wolf's Head have their own cat.

    253 AP May 19th Franklin, Thorik, Dougal and Lance head out to go Owlbear hunting!

    253 AP May 23rd They return triumphant, the beasts are finally slain!

    *FULL MOON* May 24th

    253 AP May 25th The new village of Durn's Stand is announced, but the occasion is marred by a brutal murder that has occurred in Landing!

    It is revealed that the vicim is a sergeant in King Peter's men. Dougal is a suspect due to the nature of the death and agrees to stay in the Free States compound while the investigation continues.

    Thorik, Davri, Franklin and Lance head out to the mines via Stoneforge.

    253 AP June 1st The four adventurers return, both Thorik and Lance look badly drained but all are alive.

    253 AP June 5th Another ship arrives containing settlers, adventurers and traders.

    253 AP June 6th Thorik, Dougal, Franklin, Snips and Lance head out to the mines together.

    253 AP June 9th They return having cleared out the fungal infestation in the old Golem Foundry and found some valuable items, a set of keys, and a diary from someone who (briefly) survived the pulse.

    253 AP June 10th The first few Darkwood and Darkleaf items are starting to appear on the market. The price is high for the first ones but looks like it should stabilize fairly quickly as there is plenty of Darkwood in the forest.

    253 AP June 11th Thorik, Dougal, Franklin and Davri head out to the plateau in search of a cure for Lance who is growing weaker.

    253 AP June 14th They return with the cure. Lance drinks it and starts feeling better immediately, recovering rapidly from his ailment.

    253 AP June 14th to 24th The group take a break from constant adventuring. They spend ten days resting, studying, crafting and training.

    *FULL MOON* June 22nd

    253 AP June 25th Thorik, Dougal, Franklin, Lance, Snips and Davri head out to the mines once more. They delve deeper than before and start to realize just how large that underground complex is.

    253 AP July 1st They return from their third trip to the mines.

    253 AP July 2nd Revelations of Lycanthropy and The Lord of Rats come to light.

    253 AP July 8th Franklin, Thorik, Dougal, Snips and Herion set out to meet the Pixies and follow the trail of the missing people east.

    253 AP July 11th They return with a varied horde of treasure and information.

    253 AP July 13th Franklin, Thorik, Dougal, Snips, Lance and Herion delve into the mines once more.

    253 AP July 17th All but Thorik return to Landing, Thorik remained in Stoneforge for a while.

    253 AP July 18th Contact with the Pixies is announced, along with agreement that their lands belong to them and the residents of Landing will not trespass there.

    *FULL MOON* July 20th

    253 AP July 25th Davri, Thorik, Snips, Dougal, Herion and Franklin head into the mines once more.

    253 AP July 26th They return to Stoneforge, muttering curses about Goblins and bearing new scars from their encounter.

    253 AP July 27th They return to Landing, accompanied by Aylee who joined them for the trip.

    253 AP July 28th Franklin, Dougal, Thorik, Snips and Herion head out to find out where they diverted the toxic water too.

    253 AP August 4th They return with two men-at-arms and a squire who they rescued from a Hydra - and with two were-rats that they captured at the site of another cache!

    253 AP August 7th Thorik, Davri, Lance, Herion and Snips charter a boat and head out into the Sunken City. They return the same day reporting that inside the buildings is a dangerous place, but with a varied loot collection and news that the town was called "Cistenael".

    253 AP August 9th Thorik, Dougal, Lance and Snips charter the boat again and take it up river to the plateau. They climb onto the plateau and after encountering some rather large predators make it back down with a captured Allosaurus.

    253 AP August 17th Thorik, Lance and Snips return to Landing, Dougal has remained behind to do initial training of the Allosaurus away from distractions and the risk of it snacking on passing villagers.

    253 AP August 18th The Aspect Mirror is used to contact the Alpha, who is still on board the ship. He seems to be fooled into believing that Daria is at the Grimstalker cache with Stone Salve and says he will send someone to her around 3 to 4 weeks from the time of the contact.

    *FULL MOON* August 18th

    253 AP August 19th Thorik, Lance, Snips and Herion disturb Dougal's training for another trip into the mines. Leaving some hired men behind to care for the Allosaurus they delve into the mines once more in search of a Stoneturner reputed to be on the second level.

    253 AP August 24th They return to Landing having not only retrieved the huge diamond that powers the Stoneturner but restored 37 petrified former prisoners from the mine back to life. The prisoners are being cared for in Stoneforge while the group escort another unexpected discovery - a Svirfneblin called Grimsig - back to Landing for negotiations.

    253 AP August 24th Marr, Grimsig, Lance, Snips and Franklin head out to the Grimstalker cache to plant the fake stonesalve.

    253 AP August 28th They return alive, if slightly singed.

    253 AP August 29th Franklin, Dougal, Thorik, Davri, Lance and Snips head out to raid the cache in the Ant Nest before the wererats can reach it.

    253 AP August 30th They return alive (although Thorik's beard has seen better days) and bearing a large quantity of loot recovered from the cache.

    253 AP September 1st Franklin, Thorik, Snips, Grimsig and Lance dive into the Sunken City once more looking for items that could help fight the wererats.

    253 AP September 2nd They revisit the dive site to gather a few things they missed, afterwards Franklin speaks to the leaders in Landing and then goes to visit the Pixies and Thorik sends a letter to his old mentor.

    253 AP September 3rd Some members of the group spend time in Stoneforge helping get the temple construction started.

    253 AP September 4th Franklin, Davri, Herion, Snips, Marr and Grimsig head back into the swamps, retrieve some bones from the trolls, and then up onto the plateau. On the plateau they plant some seeds and make contact once more with the Sentisaurs. They agree to bring one Sentisaur back to Landing so that he can learn common and learn about the "soft skins".

    253 AP September 5th(As discovered later)The Alpha's men go to the Grimstalker Cache.

    253 AP September 6th Franklin, Davri, Herion, Snips, Marr, Grimsig and Tak'Sin arrive in Landing.

    253 AP September 7th Lance, Snips, Grimsig, Tak'Sin and Marr head out to explore east of the Grimstalker glade.

    253 AP September 14th The exploration party return intact

    *FULL MOON* September 16th

    253 AP September 19th The Dwarves, supported by The Countess and Franklin, Thorik, Dougal, Lance, Snips, Davri and Herion (with Grimsig scouting at first as well) move out in force to liberate the Svirfneblin, breaking through the enemy lines and in the process destroying an elevator system the Snake-Hands were using to bring in reinforcements.

    253 AP September 23rd A co-ordinated assault from Dwarves, Svirfneblin and the heroes moves out to engage the Snake-Hands. One section of the enemies including three leaders is wiped out, however another large section remains sealed away behind an explosive-collapsed passage and a smaller group escaped into the upper levels of the mine.

    253 AP September 23rd Before the Delay Poison has worn off Franklin, Thorik, Lance, Snips and a halfling from The Countess' healers named Andar head up into the previously cleared levels of the mine to hunt the Rattler that escaped. The group find him and Franklin manages to keep him occupied with elementals until Snips brings him down with an incredible shot.

    253 AP September 27th With the aid of Thorik's repeated casting of Lesser Restoration the last person recovers from the lingering effects of the snake venom.

    253 AP September 28th Thorik, Lance, Herion and Davri head out west exploring along the coast. They do not find any sign of rats, but they do find a scouting party of Ogres investigating where the ants had disappeared too. They killed the Ogres and mounted their heads on spikes to try and discourage any more from coming. At the same time Snips leaves town by himself.

    253 AP October 3rd They return to Landing, in time to see Snips land some crazy flying contraption just outside the walls. It seems he's been doing some scouting of his own.

    253 AP October 5th The first phase of building the new Dwarven Temple is completed.

    253 AP October 6th Snips, Thorik, Franklin, Lance and Davri head out to a cave Snips found on his scouting trip. They discover a modified Sailing Ship called the Shy Maiden and 10 crew members along with a half-orc who seemed to be in charge. They kill the crew members in battle and manage to capture the half orc, and the ship, but find no sign of the Alpha or any of the other leaders.

    253 AP October 8th They use ropes and magic to lower the wagon and sending stone down the cliff to contact Landing, to find....

    253 AP October 8th That evening Landing comes under surprise attack from a small but potent force of attackers.

    253 AP October 11th The Shy Maiden arrives back at Landing.

    253 AP October 12th Receiving urgent word from the Svirfneblin Lance, Thorik, Dougal (who's finally finished training his Allosaurus), Mourods and Snips delve into the mines to finish off the Snake-Hands once and for all.

    253 AP October 14th They emerge from the mines and arrive back in Stoneforge safe and sound, although Dougal and Snips's clothing and armour both show the marks of many and serious blows.

    *FULL MOON* October 14th

    253 AP October 15th Scouts that had been watching the tower report that the Were-rats had been up to something in the night.

    253 AP October 22nd A ball of fire flies through the air and impacts into the forest around 50 miles southeast of Durn's Stand.

    253 AP October 22nd Lance, Snips, Thorik, Franklin and Davri head out from Stoneforge to investigate the meteor. Dougal also heads from Landing although he's trailing behind and trying to catch up.

    253 AP October 26th The first Agile Mithral Breastplate is ready.

    253 AP October 27th The group return to Landing having fought giant spiders and claimed the meteor, which had a large amount of Adamantine ore within it.

    253 AP November 9th Lance, Snips, Thorik, Franklin, Davri and Dougal head out to the tower in the plains, preparing the scene and baiting a trap ready for the wererats.

    253 AP November 11th The trap is sprung as the wererats approach the tower and are ambushed. After a heavy fight both Mycap and Alpha are dispatched and the rest are either captured or killed. The crown itself is smashed in two and as it loses its power all the lycanthropes except for Tyrovil return to their normal form.

    *FULL MOON* November 12th

    253 AP November 16th*Thorik, Dougal, Franklin, Lance and Snips set out to explore west from Stoneforge.

    *Temple phase 2 completion estimate* November 20th

    *Temple complete* November 25th
    Last edited by ZarchAlDain; 2014-08-27 at 12:35 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Talvara's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Perilous Reclamation - IC

    Thorik
    Grateful to have solid ground under his feet once more Thorik is pleasantly suprised to see fellow dwarves putting in honest labour for the betterment of the settlement. He was out traveling the human lands when the call to advanture was made and jumped on the boat without acquiring a lot of details.

    Thorik will approach the band of engineers and make himself known to his kin.
    "Hoy lads! you lot are a welcome sight for a dwarf who hasn't had the simple pleasure of soil under their feet! I'm Thorik... Thorik Stonewell." Thorik doesn't hide his holy symbol but he'll be carefull about using his divine power around 'the people'.

    "Mind if I help tha efforts for a bit? I dun have annay engineering skill but I'd be happy to help hauling materials around" If they'll accept He'll try to gauge the dwarves opinion on practiced religion and divine casting. He'll also try to see if they can give him some ideas of 'whats out there'

    "I came here ta keep the younguns out of trouble you see... try and make sure they dun end up in something stomach... I'm thinkin I'll try and go on a few excursions soon. Think ya can give me some ideas of what kind o' dangers be out thar?"

    after a while He'll say his see you soons and inquire about where he can find lodings, not hiding the fact that he is flat broke. (maybe fishing a little to bunk up with his kin) but otherwise he'll get settled into the towns common room. looking to make contacts and indentify 'the hotblooded youths that are eager to venture out into danger'
    Last edited by Talvara; 2014-02-28 at 09:53 AM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Re: Perilous Reclamation - IC

    Quote Originally Posted by Talvara View Post
    Grateful to have solid ground under his feet once more Thorik is pleasantly suprised to see fellow dwarves putting in honest labour for the betterment of the settlement. He was out traveling the human lands when the call to advanture was made and jumped on the boat without acquiring a lot of details.

    Thorik will approach the band of engineers and make himself known to his kin.
    "Hoy lads! you lot are a welcome sight for a dwarf who hasn't had the simple pleasure of soil under their feet! I'm Thorik... Thorik Stonewell." Thorik doesn't hide his holy symbol but he'll be carefull about using his divine power around 'the people'.

    "Mind if I help tha efforts for a bit? I dun have annay engineering skill but I'd be happy to help hauling materials around" If they'll accept He'll try to gauge the dwarves opinion on practiced religion and divine casting. He'll also try to see if they can give him some ideas of 'whats out there'
    A sturdy female dwarf stops in her work for a while to eye Thorik up and down "Aye. Thorik was it? I be Aylee and if the first thing ya wanna do in a new land is haul timber around I'll not be stopping ya. There's a stack of big planks over yonder, give the lads a hand hauling them so we can finish this bit of decking. We need the supplies these ships bring in so a stronger dock makes us all safer!"

    She doesn't seem to notice the holy symbol, but as Thorik works he does notice a couple of the other workers looking at it and muttering to each other. They don't seem particularly hostile, more curious than anything but no-one mentions it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Talvara View Post

    "I came here ta keep the younguns out of trouble you see... try and make sure they dun end up in something stomach... I'm thinkin I'll try and go on a few excursions soon. Think ya can give me some ideas of what kind o' dangers be out thar?"
    Aylee sucks in her teeth a bit at that one "Aye, well it's been quiet to tell the truth. Too quiet some people are muttering. We dun see much trouble here at the town but to be honest with ya when people leave the walls we make sure they settle their debts first if ya ken what I mean. When something appears on those bounty boards it's because none of them as posts the messages want to risk their people to do it."

    Quote Originally Posted by Talvara View Post

    after a while He'll say his see you soons and inquire about where he can find lodings, not hiding the fact that he is flat broke. (maybe fishing a little to bunk up with his kin) but otherwise he'll get settled into the towns common room. looking to make contacts and indentify 'the hotblooded youths that are eager to venture out into danger'
    She quite happily recommends The Anchor as a place to stay if you are on a budget. {Diplomacy Roll Please}
    Last edited by ZarchAlDain; 2014-03-02 at 07:17 AM.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Talvara's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Perilous Reclamation - IC

    [Diplomacy check] untrained : (1d20)[6]

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Re: Perilous Reclamation - IC

    Aylee shakes her head decisively. "Even if Ironbeard would allow it there's no way we have space in the barracks at the moment. If we could find decent building stone we'd build new walls further out, maybe even start getting some proper stone buildings in the town. Trouble is though that around here there's nowt but chalk. And we both know chalks no good for making anything but a soft bed to lie on! Build a wall with chalk and yer lucky if it even lasts a single century."
    Last edited by ZarchAlDain; 2014-02-28 at 03:30 PM.
    Currently running Perilous Reclamation:

    Recruitment Thread: here
    IC Thread: here
    OOC Thread: here

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground
     
    EvilClericGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: Perilous Reclamation - IC

    Franklin
    Packing up his goods and that which he had made over the course of the journey and put them into his bag. He had managed to catch one of the first boats over to the new lands with his curse and the words of Torag; and of course his skills as a weapon maker. He had made some weapons of the rope on the way over, and finished the crossbow he had been making the stock of for half the journey and left the boat with thanks to the sailors as he left.

    The first thing he would do would be to approach the Anchor and enquire after a room. After hearing the prices he pulls out seven platinum pieces and five gold and pays up front for fifteen weeks.
    "If I die out there, feel free to let the room out again; at least this way if I loose all my worldly possessions, I'll al least have a place to stay." After making a bit of small talk he tries to find out if there are any rumors or unrest or plots going on, after all, as a barkeeper he must hear a lot.

    After that he would head over to the market and see what was for sale.
    "I'm wondering if you might be chance have any supplies that would be of use to those heading out into the wilderness, perhaps something to deal with the aftereffects of battle?" And when talking to the weaponsmiths ask if they needed any assistance in fixing broken weapons, or creating new. He wasn't looking for any remunerations, not for now. He just wanted to be of use until he had once again found his feet.
    Last edited by Mourdos; 2014-03-02 at 03:32 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Talvara's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Perilous Reclamation - IC

    Thorik

    after parting way with the dwarven company Thorik stared down the bounty board for a while. with arms crossed he read every request for help. his brow turning into a frown at the news of the missing scouts.

    when done with the bounty board the dwarf will make his way to the Anchor inn, and walk up to the counter. He produces his last gold coin and presses it onto the counter to pay for the coming week, The coin is of Dwarvish design. Thorik must have had it with him for quite a while since he has left the dwarven-halls behind him for the passed decade while he travelled the human lands.

    "It looks like I'm going ta have to earn some coin soon" The dwarf says plainly. "I'm thinkin of getting an expidition together to look for them missing lads... them scouts in the Twilight forest"

    Thorik will try to get some information from Henry. anything he might know about the missing individuals and what sort of rumours have been going around the inn about the Twilight forest and the incident.

    "I see... well, if ya know any lads an lasses around that are eager to venture out there... Send em my way... Its already been a week for those scouts, so I fear tha worst"
    Last edited by Talvara; 2014-03-02 at 03:26 PM.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Re: Perilous Reclamation - IC

    Quote Originally Posted by Mourdos View Post
    Franklin
    The first thing he would do would be to approach the Anchor and enquire after a room. After hearing the prices he pulls out seven platinum pieces and five gold and pays up front for fifteen weeks.
    "If I die out there, feel free to let the room out again; at least this way if I loose all my worldly possessions, I'll al least have a place to stay." After making a bit of small talk he tries to find out if there are any rumors or unrest or plots going on, after all, as a barkeeper he must hear a lot.
    Henry blows out his cheeks in astonishment looking at the small fortune in front of him. "Of course little master!" he stammers out. "Here, let me show you to a room, and of course the cost includes room and lodging for another guest. Just let me know who they are and we'll make sure they are treated right."

    Henry is quite happy to talk about anything and everything but you don't really get anything specific in the way of rumours. There has been a bit of friction between the men of the Free States and those of King Peter's men, lingering hostility from the war that ended only ten years ago, but leaders on both sides have been keeping a firm lid on it.

    The main complaint he has is the fact that over the last month the number of rats in Landing has increased noticeably and they are getting bolder too. "It's not right I tell you, one ran right up onto the counter and just stared at me in my own kitchen! In my own kitchen mind you!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Mourdos View Post
    After that he would head over to the market and see what was for sale.
    "I'm wondering if you might be chance have any supplies that would be of use to those heading out into the wilderness, perhaps something to deal with the aftereffects of battle?"
    One stall does sell a supply of bandages and other items for healing kits. When you ask about anything stronger the stall-holder looks around, scans you up and down then lowers her voice "You should look for Cabal's shop at the far end of town, look for the dried herbs outside the door and tell him that Old Meg sent you his way".

    Quote Originally Posted by Mourdos View Post

    And when talking to the weaponsmiths ask if they needed any assistance in fixing broken weapons, or creating new. He wasn't looking for any remunerations, not for now. He just wanted to be of use until he had once again found his feet.
    There is both a weaponsmith and an armourer working at the forges by the market. They seem to have the crafting well in hand and are quite happy to talk shop but they seem a little sceptical about how well such a tiny little gnome can wield a blacksmith's hammer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Talvara View Post
    Thorik

    after parting way with the dwarven company Thorik stared down the bounty board for a while. with arms crossed he read every request for help. his brow turning into a frown at the news of the missing scouts.

    when done with the bounty board the dwarf will make his way to the Anchor inn, and make his way up to the counter. He produces his last gold coin and presses it onto the counter to pay for the coming week, The coin is of Dwarvish design. Thorik must have had it with him for quite a while since he has left the dwarven-halls behind him for the passed decade while he travelled the human lands.

    "It looks like I'm going ta have to earn some coin soon" The dwarf says plainly. "I'm thinkin of getting an expidition together to look for them missing lads... them scouts in the Twilight forest"

    Thorik will try to get some information from Henry. anything he might know about the missing individuals and what sort of rumours have been going around the inn about the Twilight forest and the incident.
    On the subject of the missing scout Henry becomes quite sombre, "Ah yes, a nice enough bunch they were. Everyone's right sad to hear they haven't come back yet, there's been a few times they've come back late before but after a week hope's fading. Let's see, it were Ralt, Hargan, Alice, Durn, and that other lass, erm, Liza I think she was called that went out. They were all wearing that leather armour and were all real handy with those crossbows of theirs."

    He scratches at his belly in thought then continues "I heard they found tracks out there, some kind of large beast. It had rained since though so the tracks weren't very clear, I know they were going to check it out. They said there was a hill rose in the forest with a stand of white trees on top of it that made a good landmark and they thought the tracks came from that direction. They were planning to head for that hill last I heard."

    Quote Originally Posted by Talvara View Post
    "I see... well, if ya know any lads an lasses around that are eager to venture out there... Send em my way... Its already been a week for those scouts, so I fear tha worst"
    Henry nods eagerly, brightening up as the subject changes, "of course, of course. We've had a few new arrivals on the latest ship, why just now a gnome with bright blue hair of all things came in and hired himself a room! I expect people will be wanting to band together and go off in search of adventure, that's the way these things usually go."
    Last edited by ZarchAlDain; 2014-03-02 at 05:52 PM.
    Currently running Perilous Reclamation:

    Recruitment Thread: here
    IC Thread: here
    OOC Thread: here

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground
     
    EvilClericGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: Perilous Reclamation - IC

    Franklin

    "Well if you doubt me, I could come back once you be finished for the day and make a start on a small hammer with some of the days scraps. Shouldn't take me too long to do with the right tools. " he says with a grin. " Course I might need a box to stand on, your anvil being too high for me and all." If he wanted to use their forge, he would need to make friends with these men and so he spends the time assisting them as he can for a while, chatting with them as he does about this and that. Are they having to repair much, or is it just new items? Franklin is a weaponsmith rather than an armourer, but that doesn't make him ignorant, he knows how to work metal regardless.

    During a break he would want to head over to Cabal's shop, looking for the herbs as directed. Stepping inside he would take a look around at the various herbs and such handing in bushels before making his way over to the counter, where he would probably need to stand back a little in order to be seen, that or jump.

    " Mr Cabal? I've been sent over here by Old Meg, she seems to think you might be able to help me out with fast acting medicines for use in the field. " Hopefully there would be no need for the old "I'm down here", but he would understand if the need arose.
    Last edited by Mourdos; 2014-03-02 at 04:22 PM.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Re: Perilous Reclamation - IC

    Quote Originally Posted by Mourdos View Post
    Franklin

    "Well if you doubt me, I could come back once you be finished for the day and make a start on a small hammer with some of the days scraps. Shouldn't take me too long to do with the right tools. " he says with a grin. " Course I might need a box to stand on, your anvil being too high for me and all." If he wanted to use their forge, he would need to make friends with these men and so he spends the time assisting them as he can for a while, chatting with them as he does about this and that. Are they having to repair much, or is it just new items? Franklin is a weaponsmith rather than an armourer, but that doesn't make him ignorant, he knows how to work metal regardless.
    They seem reluctant to let a stranger use their tools, but they are friendly enough and by the end of the day you think you are making some progress. {Diplomacy roll please}

    Quote Originally Posted by Mourdos View Post
    During a break he would want to head over to Cabal's shop, looking for the herbs as directed. Stepping inside he would take a look around at the various herbs and such handing in bushels before making his way over to the counter, where he would probably need to stand back a little in order to be seen, that or jump.

    " Mr Cabal? I've been sent over here by Old Meg, she seems to think you might be able to help me out with fast acting medicines for use in the field. " Hopefully there would be no need for the old "I'm down here", but he would understand if the need arose.
    Cabal scratches his nose and looks at you, he's a small man himself so doesn't tower over you so much as the average human does. "Aye, Old Meg you say? Fast acting medicines? Well I've herbs here for stomach ailments and the likes but I get the feeling you're looking for something a bit more potent, what sort of things were you having in mind?"
    Currently running Perilous Reclamation:

    Recruitment Thread: here
    IC Thread: here
    OOC Thread: here

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2011

    Default Re: Perilous Reclamation - IC

    As their ship passes through the opening to the bay, Sophie can't contain a huge smile. Peering down into the water at the broken city, then up at the tower overlooking it all, then at the collection of buildings that made up Eronia's first outpost; it's all new to her and practically dripping with promise of grander sights.

    Walking down the gangplank, she turns to Dougal. "What do you say we split up and see what there is to see?" She spots the Anchor and points to it. "Maybe meet up there?"

    Sophie will make the rounds of the streets, learning the lay of the land and listening to whatever scraps of conversation float her way. She'll take note of the bounties posted and try to gauge the mood of the town - are people optimistic about their chances here, or starting to regret coming?

    Once she has a good feel for the town, she heads over to the Anchor and settles down at the counter, waiting patiently for the innkeep. When he comes over and delivers his spiel she fishes 5gp out of her purse and hands it over. "A room, then, and a mug of anything that's not water. And if you've a moment to spare, any news you might have heard about the bounties."
    Last edited by arskyer; 2014-03-02 at 06:35 PM.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2011

    Default Re: Perilous Reclamation - IC

    If he mentions the incident with the rats she tries to recall if she's heard of such a thing before: Knowledge (nature): (1d20+6)[14]

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Re: Perilous Reclamation - IC

    Quote Originally Posted by arskyer View Post
    As their ship passes through the opening to the bay, Sophie can't contain a huge smile. Peering down into the water at the broken city, then up at the tower overlooking it all, then at the collection of buildings that made up Eronia's first outpost; it's all new to her and practically dripping with promise of grander sights.

    Walking down the gangplank, she turns to Dougal. "What do you say we split up and see what there is to see?" She spots the Anchor and points to it. "Maybe meet up there?"

    Sophie will make the rounds of the streets, learning the lay of the land and listening to whatever scraps of conversation float her way. She'll take note of the bounties posted and try to gauge the mood of the town - are people optimistic about their chances here, or starting to regret coming?

    Once she has a good feel for the town, she heads over to the Anchor and settles down at the counter, waiting patiently for the innkeep. When he comes over and delivers his spiel she fishes 5gp out of her purse and hands it over. "A room, then, and a mug of anything that's not water. And if you've a moment to spare, any news you might have heard about the bounties."
    By the time you get back from exploring the town you return to the Inn just in time to overhear the conversations with both Franklin and Thorik so you do indeed hear about the rat.

    The general mood of the town is hard to gauge but the arrival of the ship with new people and new supplies has definitely lifted the mood. The various members of the four companies seem professional. The people who've been here since the previous year mostly seem to be in it for the long haul. The new arrivals range from enthusiastic adventure seekers to reluctant deportees, some of whom were loaded into the ship in chains although the chains were removed once you got out of sight of land.

    Quote Originally Posted by arskyer View Post
    If he mentions the incident with the rats she tries to recall if she's heard of such a thing before: Knowledge (nature): [roll0]
    The rat situation certainly does sound odd. Rats get everywhere but a town this size and this new would not normally have so many, and the level of aggression described is highly unusual.
    Last edited by ZarchAlDain; 2014-03-03 at 02:39 AM.
    Currently running Perilous Reclamation:

    Recruitment Thread: here
    IC Thread: here
    OOC Thread: here

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2011

    Default Re: Perilous Reclamation - IC

    Quote Originally Posted by Talvara View Post
    "I see... well, if ya know any lads an lasses around that are eager to venture out there... Send em my way..."
    Half-listening, half scoping out the inn, Sophie tuns toward the dwarf and slides over a stool. "If you'll pardon the intrusion, I think I fit that bill. Call me Sophie. When were you thinking on heading out?"

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Talvara's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Perilous Reclamation - IC

    Quote Originally Posted by arskyer View Post
    Half-listening, half scoping out the inn, Sophie tuns toward the dwarf and slides over a stool. "If you'll pardon the intrusion, I think I fit that bill. Call me Sophie. When were you thinking on heading out?"
    Thorik

    Thorik turns to Sophie, smiles and nods.
    "Good good, Thorik... Thorik Stonewell, I'm thinking we should be leavin just before tha next Dawn. The less time we waste the bigger our chances at finding atleast one o' them brave souls out there alive."

    he pauses for a moment, "assuming we can get 'tha Gnome' Henry mentioned on-board we'll need two or three others... someone who can navigate tha woods... an someone who can hold tha line with me."

    "We'll make our preparations before it gets dark. an tommorow... we'll take to tha road. Whadda ya Say Sophie?"

    finally he'll clasp Sophie on the shoulder "Yer a good lass, Maybe the fortunes will allow us ta bring those scouts home..." The dwarf looks grim, seemingly putting little faith in his hopes.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2011

    Default Re: Perilous Reclamation - IC

    Sophie shifts a little uncomfortably at the dwarf's touch, but returns the sentiment with a small smile of her own. "Aye, that sounds like a plan. I've a fair hand for woodscraft myself, and I've a friend who might come along - fought for Peter, good in a fight. I won't speak for him, but he should be around somewhere."

    She reaches over and snags her mug from where she had been sitting. Not a day on land and already heading out into the unknown... Her smile broadens, and she signals Henry to bring a drink for Thorik. "To rainy days and dusty trails, and hasty plans made by tavern-light. It's good to be alive."

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground
     
    EvilClericGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: Perilous Reclamation - IC

    Franklin

    " I was thinking potions. Red liquids in vials. The kind that close up your wounds before your very eyes in case something is still trying to cut you open and you don't have that much blood left. " Three wasn't much that fit that bill except magical healing potions, which were rare enough across the ocean. When they did pop up, nobody knew where they were from or who made them. Creators were likely to be lynched.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Talvara's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Perilous Reclamation - IC

    Thorik

    "Well spoken lass" Thorik raises his cup a little, nods in acknowledgement of the kind gesture and adds "To tha living, may our time among them endure the trials ahead."

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Re: Perilous Reclamation - IC

    Quote Originally Posted by Mourdos View Post
    Franklin

    " I was thinking potions. Red liquids in vials. The kind that close up your wounds before your very eyes in case something is still trying to cut you open and you don't have that much blood left. " Three wasn't much that fit that bill except magical healing potions, which were rare enough across the ocean. When they did pop up, nobody knew where they were from or who made them. Creators were likely to be lynched.
    Cabal taps his nose knowingly. "Plain spoken aren't you? I think I have just the thing, I have (d4+2)[4] in fact. Going for a song at 50gp each. Here, take a look at this."

    He produces a vial containing an emerald green liquid from under his counter to show you.

    (You can buy up to the number listed potions of Cure Light Wounds at 50gp each)
    Last edited by ZarchAlDain; 2014-03-03 at 05:37 PM.
    Currently running Perilous Reclamation:

    Recruitment Thread: here
    IC Thread: here
    OOC Thread: here

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground
     
    EvilClericGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: Perilous Reclamation - IC

    Franklin

    " Not heard of them in that colour, though I haven't had need to look at them until now. I'll take all of them I guess. Cash isn't worth much if you ain' alive to spend it at the end. " With that he pulls out his remaining two hundred gold and hands it over, putting the received bottles in his pouch before heading back to the smithy to continue his small talk with the blacksmiths.
    Last edited by Mourdos; 2014-03-03 at 07:20 PM.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Re: Perilous Reclamation - IC

    One of Dougal's most primal enjoyments was traveling, to visit new places, and to see what lay beyond the next hill. He had spent plenty of time doing exactly that, and he loved it. So the trip to Pyreal was supposed to be the trip of a lifetime.

    He hadn't taken the boat into account.

    Having always traveled on foot or on horseback, Dougal was unprepared for the constant swaying of the deck, and had spent most of the trip doubled over a railing. Reaching Landing was a relief for many reasons.

    Dougal disembarked on shaky knees just behind Sophie. She said something about splitting up, looking around and meeting at the tavern. Which was fine by Dougal. He headed straight for the inn, in search of a stout ale to steady himself with.

    Dougal spent a few hours at the inn, but he wasn't idle. He chatted up the locals, drinking less than he seemed. His pox-marked face didn't make the locals any friendlier but at least he had some common ground with King Peter's soldiers.

    Spoiler
    Show

    I attempt to find out what kind of people the residents of Landing are. Former convicts, paid workers, mercenaries, army regulars? Have people moved here to stay or do they see this as a temporary thing and are expecting to go back home soon.

    I'll write this up IC when I'm not sitting on the bus.


    After a while Sophie appears at the door.

    "Hey So-So! Over here!" he shouts over the hubbub of the inn, waving and grinning widely. "Didya find anything good?"

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Re: Perilous Reclamation - IC

    Quote Originally Posted by nahkh View Post

    I attempt to find out what kind of people the residents of Landing are. Former convicts, paid workers, mercenaries, army regulars? Have people moved here to stay or do they see this as a temporary thing and are expecting to go back home soon.
    It seems to be a pretty varied bunch to be honest. The various companies all seem professional, the citizens vary from former convicts forced to come here and making the best of it to adventure seekers and mercenaries who were struggling to find work with the current outbreak of peace and have come here to make a living.

    Some (such as the innkeeper here) clearly are settling in for the long haul, some have no choice, and others are talking about missing their family back home and hoping their replacements arrive on the next ship.

    Quote Originally Posted by nahkh View Post

    After a while Sophie appears at the door.

    "Hey So-So! Over here!" he shouts over the hubbub of the inn, waving and grinning widely. "Didya find anything good?"
    One of King Peter's men by the bar turns around when he hears your voice.

    "Dougal!" he says, "Sophie! What are you two doing here?". He turns back to the two guys he was drinking with "Hey fellas, I know these guys, I used to train with them. Seriously you should see that big guy waving that massive hammer of his around as though it weighs nothing!"

    You recognize him as one of the other students at the school, he was a couple of years younger than you and was an average student. Good enough to get by but nothing outstanding.

    {Straight int or wis (your choice) roll for both Sophie and Dougal to try and remember his name, DC 10}
    Spoiler
    Show
    His name is Rike
    Last edited by ZarchAlDain; 2014-03-04 at 06:05 AM.
    Currently running Perilous Reclamation:

    Recruitment Thread: here
    IC Thread: here
    OOC Thread: here

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Re: Perilous Reclamation - IC

    ((Rolling int: (1d20+2)[21]))

    "RIKE YOU DIRTY BASTARD! How the hell have you been? Not workin too hard, eh babyface? Wrap your arsecheeks 'round a chair and have a drink with us. I'm buyin you a round."

    Dougal practically drags Rike to their table and puts a fresh drink in his hand.

    "What's with the army getup? Don't tell me the speeches about king and country got to you."

    Rike stiffens a little at that and starts to object in a fit of patriotism, but Dougal slaps his arm playfully. "Oh don't be serious. I've spent damn near half my life fighting for your boy Peter, we're on the same side. How's your fencing? Last I saw you'd just learned which end to hold."

    "I can handle myself, as much as any man here."

    "Oh man, that takes me back. I'd love to do a bout with you at some point. I wanna see what the king's men teach to youngins these days. Unless yer chicken", Dougal winked, instantly evaporating Rike's hesitation.

    "Damn straight I can take you on. Any time."

    ((Assuming here, Arskyer may correct me))
    At this point, Sophie mentions that there's a group going after some scouts in the woods in the morning, and asks Dougal not to get himself beat up before a trip like that. After a few more questions about this expedition Dougal happily signs up, then turns to Rike. "You ain't off the hook yet, I'll be lookin for that bout when I get back. Enjoy the ale. C'mon Sophie, let's go find this Thorik fellow of yours."
    Last edited by nahkh; 2014-03-04 at 04:13 PM.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Re: Perilous Reclamation - IC

    Rike mostly seems stunned by Dougals energy, but before you go he does manage to stammer out an offer to introduce you and Sophie to Sir Roschdale if you would like.
    Currently running Perilous Reclamation:

    Recruitment Thread: here
    IC Thread: here
    OOC Thread: here

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Talvara's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Perilous Reclamation - IC

    Thorik


    Thorik wont be hard to find seeing as he hasn't moved much from his place.
    Instead he has been quietly observing the commotion with a content smile beneath his beard. (ooc: the time lines may be a little muddied at this point)

    The dwarf will offer a hand to shake.
    "Its good ta meet ya Lad, Sophie hasn't told me a lot but mentioned yer a good sword arm ta have around, You'll be joinin the expedition I take? good... good... I'd almost dare say that our chances of finding them lost souls are lookin up"

    Thorik will share what information he has managed to gather about the incident, The names of the scouts... their stated destination... and the large tracks found in the forest seemingly leading to the hill with the white trees.

    "I think we should talk to some o' the scouts still here in Landing... see if they have or know anything that might help us find their brothers an sisters"

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2011

    Default Re: Perilous Reclamation - IC

    (( Picking it up from Talvara's latest; it's good to assume Sophie would have made introductions. I'm assuming that Dougal shouting Rike's name is enough for Sophie to remember it too :P ))

    "Tell you what, Rike, as soon as we get back from looking for those scouts we'll take you up on that." She reaches out to clasp the man's hand, then slides out from the table. "It's good to see another one from that school's made something of themselves. Stay safe, y'hear?"

    Still grinning at Dougal's boisterous assault on poor Rike, Sophie walks to the other two and nods at Thorik's suggestion. "Hopefully they were mapping out their progress and left a copy behind. Anyway, what say we meet up in here first light tomorrow to head out?"

    Sophie will head over to the Countess' compound and inquire on that subject, also asking for whatever else they may think useful to the group heading out.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Re: Perilous Reclamation - IC

    The people at the compound are very glad to hear that someone is going out after the missing scouts. They mention that the countess is over at the Roschdale compound right now arguing with him as he's saying he doesn't have enough men to divert some away from the defensive and peacekeeping duties at Landing to go on "an expedition into the woods to a vague destination against an unknown foe". This last said in a parodied imitation of a knights way of speaking with a definite hint of bitterness.

    At the compound they roll out a map showing the same terrain as the hex grid one and are quite happy to let you make a copy. They know the scouts were planning to follow the edge of the forest south for about 15 miles, then turn into the woods and head towards Silvercrown Hill.

    There will be a large red blaze marked into one of the trees along with the number 19 where they turned in.

    The hill is reported to be visible for a good distance around if you can see over the other trees. The area they point out is somewhere in hex 0906 on the hex map, although they say there are no detailed maps of anything that far from Landing available.
    Currently running Perilous Reclamation:

    Recruitment Thread: here
    IC Thread: here
    OOC Thread: here

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •