New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: Perilous Reclamation - IC

Franklin
    The Anchor

Franklin looks at Grimsig for a moment before speaking. " You should speak to me because I can fill you in on who is in charge of what around here. I don't speak for the dwarves, but I can speak for Thorik here. While we are a group as a whole, we have many factions here. The official ones are the Free States, led by Countess Trevail; The elves, led by Elgan Graceling; The dwarves, led by Durtan Ironbeard; and most of the rest of the humans, led by Lord Rochdale. Rochdale is nominally in charge of everything, but all of those mentioned are free to make their own decisions. In addition to that, you have various groups of mercenaries around here, whatever their reason is for being here, money, adventure, a new beginning. I can speak for the strongest and most influential of that group as... let us say the first among equals. "

Franklin pauses for a moment, allowing the information to settle. He just dropped a lot of names and associations at once, personally, he found it useful to take metal stock for a moment when he was being given a list of things. " The problem my friend Thorik here has is that he is being given true responsibility for the first time and is therefore overly cautious in exercising it, we can but hope that him will in time have confidence in his power. He and I can both guarantee that the Dwarves will not invade your home simply in order to use it as a mine, can't we Thorik? " he looks at Thorik meaningfully, expecting him to say his part nice and formally. When he is done, Franklin continues. " The reason for that is simple. Durtan Ironbeard would not want lives lost over money, your people's nor his. Nor is he such a greedy man that he would consider killing your people to get his own way in this. Thirdly, if he wanted to do such a thing, he would almost certainly have to hire us to assist him, which we would refuse to do. We came here to explore and see what we could find, not to kill potential allies.

Now that that is all out of the way, I believe that these snake-armed enemies of yours are called Parcitherins and that you might have a job for us involving them? "
    Last edited by Mourdos; 2014-06-22 at 08:05 AM.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Grimsig, Franklin and Thorik
    The Anchor

"The Gnome talks too much. Can the Dwarf speak for the Dwarves or can he not?"

Thorik nods "Within reason"

"Does this one have the Iron Beard's word that the Dwarves will not invade the hold of the People?"

"You do, we have no desire nor stomach ta drive you from your homes. At the very least you will leave here with an offer of non-agression"

Grimsig looks from Thorik to Franklin, then at the crowded room. "This one has been ordered to seek an Accord to secure aid. This one will speak with the Dwarf."

Thorik will motion up the stairs, "I will... accomodate our talks"

The room is a little larger than the usual rooms in the anchor, Though it still seems cramped. There are two beds, a chest and a simple writing desk. Spare armour is layed out on the unused bed, and old weapons lean against the wall. "I fear our old room was more fitting, but welcome non the less"

Grimsig quietly steps inside. He doesn't take a seat, standing roughly in the middle of the room, looking over the items inside.

Thorik will offer Franklin the writing desk chair while he himself will take an edge of a bed "So based on everything you've told me, I feel confident enough that we do have the means to assist. We might have to involve the humans aswell. but as Franklin said I do not speak for them... I did not mean to arrouse suspision in our earlier talks... I was merely trying to take stock of the situation, Promises made in ignorance are worthless"

"What does the Iron Beard want in return for aid?"

Franklin takes the seat. Since Grimsig clearly doesn't want to talk to him, he'll just sit there and make mental notes on what to discuss with Thorik later.

Grimsig eyes Franklin while they talk.

"Well... as I have told you our initial interest in the mine was the persuit of the silvery mithral ore... This is claimed by your people and we intend to respect that claim. However if some forms of access could be negotatied this would do much to justify our mobilisation on your behalf"

Franklin smiles back when Grimsig galnces over at him, in a friendly way.

Grimsig seems distracted by Franklin.

"Is the Gnome a male or a female?"

Thorik blinks at the unexpected turn in focus and laughs.

"I'm a male. What about you?" Franklin replies quickly, if he's taken aback by the question, he doesn't show it. If anything, he is more amused.

"But the Gnome has hair, like a female. This one is a male."

"Well... I am glad that we're learning, but perhaps we should try to stay foccussed on the matter at hand. Would access to the Mithral veign be negotiable?"

"This one will not see the Dwarves rend open the stones of our hold. But the People are willing to trade Gray Silver for aid."

"That would certainly be of interest. We have spoken before of our intent to work tha mines above your hold. When the Svirfneblin are free from the serpent-hands, will the dwarves and men be free to toil in the darkness?"

"This one has seen how the Dwarves dig. The Dwarves cut and rend the stone, taking what they will without regard for what they do. This one finds it... unacceptable. But... For aid we will consent to the Dwarves and the Men working the mines above the hold of the People."

Thorik actually looks a little insulted at the remark on his peoples mining methods

"The stone in the Stone Forge screams in agony. This one could barely stomach it."

Thorik will throw a questioning glance to Franklin (what is this DeepGnome on about)

Franklin frowns for a moment. "Could you explain that?" he asks Grimsig.

Grimsig looks around the room for a pebble or stone. He picks up the smooth riverrock that Thorik had been using as a paperweight and holds it close to his face with his eyes closed. His lips move a little.

"This stone was once a part of a great cliff. A long time ago it broke off and fell into flowing water. It has been shaped and molded by the waters before arriving here. It can tell this one much of it's past.

The Dwarves measure and cut the stone carelessly. They rend blocks of stone from it's place without care for what it does to the stone. Cut from it's companions, molded into shape not it's own. And it is in pain. Does the Dwarf see?"

Thorik looks confused and skeptical.

"The People do not cut the rock like the Dwarves do. Like the Duergar do."

"No... I do not see, I can see that it would be interesting to see how the Deepgnomes mine, there might be something to learn" Thorik seems skeptical about this statement.

Grimsig molds the river rock like putty in his hands, transforming it into a crude tiny statue of a dwarf. He places the statue on the stack of papers from where he took it from.

Thorik goes oeeh. "It would be interesting to see indeed" he'll smile. "Alright, I believe with these agreements we can work. There will be planning and preparations to be made... and I am sure that there will be much work for the 'mercanaries'" Thorik does not care much for the word "to be done aswell" he'll smile "do you still feel driven to aid us in keeping the lord of rats from both of our homes?"

"This one is under orders to be of assistance to potential allies. So the Dwarves will give aid to the People?"

Although a little hesitant in making such a decision Thorik will nod "I believe we will, I shall bring what we've spoken about before Durtan Ironbeard. I trust your people will need to be informed aswell?"

"This one can speak for the People."

Thorik stands up and smiles. "May we become good neighbours"

"The People and the Iron Beard have an Accord?"

"I will bring this before Durtans final say. But I believe what we've discussed is workable."

Franklin steps into the conversation. "Excuse the interruption,but for there to be an accord, both sides must know what is expected of them. At the moment both sides have shown that they wish to work together, but there are no actual details.

You wish for your enemy to be defeated, and in exchange you will give the Dwarves all of the silver grey metal? Is that the accord you wish struck?"

Grimsig narrows his eyes at Franklin. "The People would trade Gray Silver for supplies as well."

"It is agreed in principle that help will be given in exchange for that which the stone can offer up. Now Durtan must agree numbers with you before we proceed." Thorik nods.

"Then what exactly will you trade for the snake-armed ones being defeated? What kind of snake-armed ones do you fight? The ones that spit poison, but also the ones who hurt the ears? Or captivate the eyes?"

"This one has only fought the ones that spit poison, but this one has seen others among them. This one does not know what they are capable of."

"What effect does the poison have? Is it one that makes you weak? Or does it make you clumsy or ill? These are all things we must know. How big are the groups they travel around in? What others have you see? Can you describe them?"

"The poison makes one weak. They charged as a large group, but they have split into smaller groups now."

"The more information we can gather tha better our chances will be... I will suggest when tha imeadiate threat of the lord of rats is gone... the group franklin represents and I adhere to will gather more... direct information.."

"This one did not have much time to examine them. This one has seen one that was shaped like a snake, and two thin ones. This one believes it to be unwise to alert them before the attack. The Serpent-Arms are not expecting an attack from behind."

"That sounds likes the ones that mesmerise those who see them. Did you hear the sound of rattling come from their group?"

"The echo of battle was loud during the attack. This one is sorry."

"Tactics will have to be discussed with all involved... but as the serpents have the svirfneblin trapped... so do we have them trapped in the mine. If it is safer ta attack many times an take a few every time then that is an option"

"Tactics can be discussed after an Accord is made."

Franklin nods at that.

The negotiation over the exact price of the aid continues for a while, but eventually they arrive at a sum of mithril to be handed over in exchange for aid. Grimsig stands up. "This one would find the Accord agreeable."

"It does seem reasonable to me, I will bring it before Durtan"

3. - Top - End - #753
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Dougal Badrick

Dougal had spent a sleepless night out on the beach just outside of Landing, staring out into the sea. The cool night air helped clear his head. The Countess' words had calmed the storm in his head, but only for a time. Even now he could feel the dark thoughts creeping back. The memories. The guilt.
    Just before dawn he came to a decision.

An hour later there was a knock at the gates of the Free States compound. A sleepy guard opened a hatch to see who it was.
    "This is Dougal Badrick, gmornin. I'd like to make an appointment with the Countess. Whenever she has time."

4. - Top - End - #754
    Bugbear in the Playground

The guard lets Dougal in and takes him to a room, he's waiting there for a few minutes and then the guard comes back. "She's taking breakfast at the moment, but says you may join her".

Dougal is taken through into a room where there is a simple breakfast laid out, untouched. Servants rush through and set out a plate and enough food for another person. The Countess is standing by the window looking out and playing her flute. Dougal doesn't recognise the tune but it carries tones of sorrow and remorse, grief that weighs down the soul. The performance is captivating, and you can see why she held the status of Master Bard before she took on the title of Countess.

Finally she stops playing. "A lament for a city long forgotten" she says without turning, "we found the music for it in the burial chambers of a King who no-one even remembered existed. The bandits who had plundered the tomb and thought to use it as a hideout had sold off the gold and jewels but we found the music to this song. I play it sometimes, so those long ago composers and the city they memorialised might not be completely silenced."
    Last edited by ZarchAlDain; 2014-06-22 at 06:17 PM.
    Currently running Perilous Reclamation:

Recruitment Thread: here
    IC Thread: here
    OOC Thread: here

5. - Top - End - #755
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Dougal Badrick

Dougal stood awkwardly at the doorway, not really knowing what to do with his hands. As he listened to the Countess play he slowly begun to relax.

Finally she stops playing. "A lament for a city long forgotten" she says without turning, "we found the music for it in the burial chambers of a King who no-one even remembered existed. The bandits who had plundered the tomb and thought to use it as a hideout had sold off the gold and jewels but we found the music to this song. I play it sometimes, so those long ago composers and the city they memorialised might not be completely silenced."
    "It- it was very pretty. I dunno much 'bout music, but it was pretty.

Listen, I wanted to say I'm sorry. I ain' sayin you didn' care for yer people, I know you ain't tha kinda person. I'm sorry for causin trouble yesterday. I'm real sorry 'bout the door. It's just- well, it's easy to get lost in yer own thoughts an your own pain, so you can' see anythin else. I know I ain't the only one who has regrets, but it's easy to forget that sometimes y'know? I kinda feel better whenever I'm out there, always too busy to think 'bout things, but whenever I get back it starts.

I guess I wanted to ask you how you deal with it? How do you sleep at night? Sorry, tha' probly sounded rude, I didn' mean it like tha. It's just- I ain't doin too good with that m'self."

6. - Top - End - #756

Thorik
    Rochdale compound.

While the fake stone-salve planting is underway.

having been away and occupied far longer than he had hoped Thorik hasn't had the time to go visit Daria. last time he saw her she was laying passed out exhausted from her rage.

Before going into the brig. Thorik hails one of the guards, Preferebly one that was on duty during the fullmoon nightshift. "Hoy, Lad. Everything has been quiet I hope?"

"Could ya fill me in how Tyrvovil has been spendin his time?"...
    "an what about Daria?"
    "An yer man Rike... hows he been coping?"

Thorik will nod at and thank the guard as he makes his way to see Daria.

---

"I'm sorry I haven't been able to come sooner... I had... duties that needed attendin" Thorik will give Daria a smile "It was quite a night when we last saw eachother. do you remember any of it?"

He'll frown slightly, "You've done more than simply rage at the cage... I've seen ya scratch symbols into the floor... this... is troubling, I think it might be best we try the tea again. What do ya think?"

7. - Top - End - #757

The Countess, with Dougal

The Countess motions to the attendants who quickly clear the room until it is just the two of you there.

"Some lose themselves in battle, hatred and the red fog of war. Some lose themselves in grief and despair. Some throw themselves into doing good to try and atone, others call themselves beyond redemption and revel in depravity."

"My brother used to laugh you know, he used to tell jokes and ask for rowdy ballads at every feast. The war changed him, he's a harder man now. A stronger one some may say. But I miss his laugh, the simple joy of revelry. It changed all four of us, the things we had to do. Fighting bandits and monsters is easy, it's clear that you are doing the right thing. War though, war is messy."

She is silent for a while, then she speaks again.

"Do you know how many magical weapons there are in an army? I knew. I'd played in most of their halls, but I was just a bard. Not worthy of their concern. It used half the power of my wand but I passed through their camp unseen and I took them all. Every family heirloom. Every treasured blade that always seemed to hold it's edge so well. Then I took up the dagger and I stepped into the General's tent. I plunged the Wraithblade into his heart while he slept."

"How do I sleep at night? I've not slept through the night since the war. I remember them all you know, the joys of bardic training. I see his face as the life drains from it, the grey chill passing over him as the wraith emerged. The potion I drunk meant the wraith could not see me so it turned on his squire, and then his guards. With no magic they could not harm it and each man it slew emerged as another wraith. They swept through the army like a plague, while I walked through the ruins of shattered lives unseen by mortal and wraith alike."

"I saved a child, his mother had fallen to the wraith and he was next but I picked him up and carried him inside my cloak, carried him back to the walls with me. But did I save him? Or did I just spare him from the monstrous ruin I had wrought. Sometimes I wonder how he fared, but I cannot face him for fear of what I'll see in his eyes."

"The wraiths did not come for the town, we had the magic weapons on the walls ready but they slaked their hunger upon the gathered multitudes and never came upon us. Most of the wraiths perished when the sun rose, but enough made it to hiding that they haunted the lands around for five long years. How do I sleep at night? I've not slept since that night without hearing the screams in my dreams, I see their faces as they die, as the life is drained from them and a new spirit rises from the corpse. I remember them, every single night I remember them."

"The accursed Wraithblade itself kept me sane. Knowing that if I destroyed it at least this evil would never be unleashed again. Eventually I found the Lady Graceling, she helped me come to terms with what I'd done, and she helped me destroy that foul relic to make sure it could never be used again. It took five years but with the destruction of the Wraithblade the last of the wraiths were also banished from this realm."

"So that is all I have to offer you Dougal, scant comfort though it may be. Find a purpose and through your purpose find redemption. The man you were is not the man you are now, and the man you are now is a better man. Every remembered scream is a reminder that you have the capacity for evil, and a reminder of the cost of taking a wrong turn. We've found a better path now, walk it long enough and maybe we will find peace. That thought gives me some hope at least."

8. - Top - End - #758

Quote Originally Posted by Talvara View Post
    Thorik
    Rochdale compound.

While the fake stone-salve planting is underway.

having been away and occupied far longer than he had hoped Thorik hasn't had the time to go visit Daria. last time he saw her she was laying passed out exhausted from her rage.

Before going into the brig. Thorik hails one of the guards, Preferebly one that was on duty during the fullmoon nightshift. "Hoy, Lad. Everything has been quiet I hope?"
    The guard nods to you "Yeah, not much bin hapnin' really."
    "Could ya fill me in how Tyrvovil has been spendin his time?"...
    The guard shivers "e just sits there e does, fair gives me the willies. We had to change the lock though, he'd been trying to pick it with his claws!"
    "an what about Daria?"
    He suddenly blushes and stammers slightly, "Erm, she's fine. Fine. No trouble"
    Bluff (untrained): (1d20)[10]
    "An yer man Rike... hows he been coping?"
    "He's really not liking the cage, even started throwing himself against the bars the other day. Most he just paces and swears though."

Thorik will nod at and thank the guard as he makes his way to see Daria.

---

"I'm sorry I haven't been able to come sooner... I had... duties that needed attendin" Thorik will give Daria a smile "It was quite a night when we last saw eachother. do you remember any of it?"
    Daria shakes her head at that. "No, nothing."

He'll frown slightly, "You've done more than simply rage at the cage... I've seen ya scratch symbols into the floor... this... is troubling, I think it might be best we try the tea again. What do ya think?"
    Daria smiles at you, "that's very kind. I don't think I need it though. I feel fine now, I was bad that night but the compulsions haven't returned".
    Bluff: (1d20+4)[6]

9. - Top - End - #759

Sensemotive : guard(loverboy) (1d20+7)[14]
    Sensemotive : daria (1d20+7)[13]

10. - Top - End - #760

The guard is definitely hiding something, something he's embarrassed about.

Daria's performance would be more convincing if you didn't see a hint of malice in her eyes, and when she turns to glance away there is a smirk on her lips.
    Last edited by ZarchAlDain; 2014-06-23 at 07:40 AM.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Snips

The Anchor

Snips is at the anchor after the most recent outing. He has been doing his people watching as usual since he got back, taking stock of the new arrivals and how they get on. The backpack full of whatever he was trading with the pixies was left in that old waterproof chest he replaced the lock on, not that he has revisited it since then. It is clear that whatever he was up to lost urgency after his meeting with the pixies.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Ettin in the Playground

Lance

The Anchor
    His room

It is late on the evening a day after the party of adventurers has come back to town. Lance is still busy making a few hasty preparations before going into the lower rooms to face Snips. In truth, he had no idea what exactly he wanted to speak about, but the possibility of him figuring out about Lance's past was there, especially with all the magic going around this place.

Lance throws a glance at his right arm. Beneath the long sleeves he had gotten used to wearing by now, he knows there still was the clear sign of the brand that applied to all criminals that had been sent here. If Snips knew about it, it would be irrefutable proof. As such, he had taken the liberty of hiding his spring-loaded Dagger underneath the cloth over his right arm, as well as a tiny smoke pellet on the left. Even if he had no intention of hurting Snips, only idiots left themselves completely unarmed.

As such, he came down into the common room soon enough, waving over Snips to a table. "You wanted to talk. Here I am."

Sleight of Hand (with all bonuses) (1d20+14)[22]
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Theoboldi View Post
    Lance

The Anchor
    His room

It is late on the evening a day after the party of adventurers has come back to town. Lance is still busy making a few hasty preparations before going into the lower rooms to face Snips. In truth, he had no idea what exactly he wanted to speak about, but the possibility of him figuring out about Lance's past was there, especially with all the magic going around this place.

Lance throws a glance at his right arm. Beneath the long sleeves he had gotten used to wearing by now, he knows there still was the clear sign of the brand that applied to all criminals that had been sent here. If Snips knew about it, it would be irrefutable proof. As such, he had taken the liberty of hiding his spring-loaded Dagger underneath the cloth over his right arm, as well as a tiny smoke pellet on the left. Even if he had no intention of hurting Snips, only idiots left themselves completely unarmed.

As such, he came down into the common room soon enough, waving over Snips to a table. "You wanted to talk. Here I am."

Sleight of Hand (with all bonuses) [roll0]
    Snips

Walking around with that Musket slung across his back is as second nature to Snips as anything else, and there is that spiked gauntlet he never takes off around others. Wasn't really clear if the glove is for fighting or protection from a misfire on his musket, but he actually put it to work recently enough.

When Lance shows up Snips takes a little while to consider the man without saying anything. When he does, it is towards the staff. "Two more ales." He gives a vague wave of his hand to include both himself and Lance in the gesture.
    Last edited by Selerik; 2014-06-23 at 10:40 AM.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Selerik View Post
    Snips

Walking around with that Musket slung across his back is as second nature to Snips as anything else, and there is that spiked gauntlet he never takes off around others. Wasn't really clear if the glove is for fighting or protection from a misfire on his musket, but he actually put it to work recently enough.

When Lance shows up Snips takes a little while to consider the man without saying anything. When he does, it is towards the staff. "Two more ales." He gives a vague wave of his hand to include both himself and Lance in the gesture.
    Lance

Lance waits until Snips has sat down and there are two ales in front of him before he continues talking. The gunslingers hesitation does not help in lowering his wariness of foul play. Mostly, it makes him question whether Snips is biding time until someone else arrives. Still he keeps up a somewhat friendly demeanor, grinning a bit as he grabs his mug. "If you only wanted to drink with me, you didn't need to make that much hurrah about it, Snips. Unless you got something you want to talk about?..."
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Lance

Lance waits until Snips has sat down and there are two ales in front of him before he continues talking. The gunslingers hesitation does not help in lowering his wariness of foul play. Mostly, it makes him question whether Snips is biding time until someone else arrives. Still he keeps up a somewhat friendly demeanor, grinning a bit as he grabs his mug. "If you only wanted to drink with me, you didn't need to make that much hurrah about it, Snips. Unless you got something you want to talk about?..."
    "I do." Snips takes a sip of his drink before continuing. "Lot of green folk comin' in with every ship. Sometimes they know a bit already 'bout how to fight, like that halfling. Sometimes they don't, just think it'll happen. They'll figure it out or die tryin'." He grunts, not a happy sound, and takes another sip. "I got somethin' I'm workin' on, a sort of trainin' course for the greenbloods." He looks at Lance pointedly. "We ain't ever gonna see eye to eye on everything, but I respect your work. S'why I'm askin' for your help with this. Might mean a few less people die a stupid death."

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ettin in the Playground

"I do." Snips takes a sip of his drink before continuing. "Lot of green folk comin' in with every ship. Sometimes they know a bit already 'bout how to fight, like that halfling. Sometimes they don't, just think it'll happen. They'll figure it out or die tryin'." He grunts, not a happy sound, and takes another sip. "I got somethin' I'm workin' on, a sort of trainin' course for the greenbloods." He looks at Lance pointedly. "We ain't ever gonna see eye to eye on everything, but I respect your work. S'why I'm askin' for your help with this. Might mean a few less people die a stupid death."
    "Oh." After hearing Snips speak, Lance's posture seems to relax somewhat, as he quickly takes a sip from his mug to hide his own expression. When he puts it back down, he raises an eyebrow. "Dunno, Snips.

I never trained anyone in my life. And I learned all my stuff by doing it. Someone like Dougal, who's been with the military, yeah, sure. But me?"
    Arms crossed before his chest, he leans back into his chair, mulling over the idea for a few seconds. "Well, I do know how to swing a hammer. And I know a few things about fighting dirty. None of this real technical crap they teach to soldiers, though. If you want me to tell 'em a few things about laying traps and hitting people where it hurts, I can do that. It's at yer own risk, though."

17. - Top - End - #767
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

"Oh." After hearing Snips speak, Lance's posture seems to relax somewhat, as he quickly takes a sip from his mug to hide his own expression. When he puts it back down, he raises an eyebrow. "Dunno, Snips.

I never trained anyone in my life. And I learned all my stuff by doing it. Someone like Dougal, who's been with the military, yeah, sure. But me?"
    Arms crossed before his chest, he leans back into his chair, mulling over the idea for a few seconds. "Well, I do know how to swing a hammer. And I know a few things about fighting dirty. None of this real technical crap they teach to soldiers, though. If you want me to tell 'em a few things about laying traps and hitting people where it hurts, I can do that. It's at yer own risk, though."
    Snips reaches into his coat, pulling out a map with some annotations and shifting his chair a bit towards Lance. "I ain't got the patience for military trainin', and it ain't the kind that'd help with the unpredictabiliy of Pyreal." He goes over the layout with Lance quietly, in a way that will be handled off camera so as not to give all those other players peeking in spoilers.

18. - Top - End - #768

Quote Originally Posted by ZarchAlDain View Post
    He suddenly blushes and stammers slightly, "Erm, she's fine. Fine. No trouble"

The guard is definitely hiding something, something he's embarrassed about.
    ((soo timeline wise this gets a little awkward since the latter would have influenced the concerns of the former))

Thorik can guess at what he's hiding and if the situation were different he would likely turn a blind eye, but will all the unknowns and the danger of the lychantropy spreading he'll turn to the young man.

"From the look on yer face I'd say you think she's very fine actually" the dwarf smiles gently, "Daria is a fine woman... for a human"

the dwarf pauses"whats yer name son?, has she noticed your glances?"

'Daria smiles at you, "that's very kind. I don't think I need it though. I feel fine now, I was bad that night but the compulsions haven't returned".

Daria's performance would be more convincing if you didn't see a hint of malice in her eyes, and when she turns to glance away there is a smirk on her lips.
    Thorik frowns with a hint of sadness. "I see... you don't seem as troubled any more by what has happened, the full moon has been much harder on you than I had feared..."

"I'm lucky that it seems that Countess Eloise her lessons haven't sunken in too deep... Daria, we'll keep lookin for a way ta turn you back"

Thorik will leave to gather his thoughts.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Dougal Badrick
    With the Countess

"The accursed Wraithblade itself kept me sane. Knowing that if I destroyed it at least this evil would never be unleashed again. Eventually I found the Lady Graceling, she helped me come to terms with what I'd done, and she helped me destroy that foul relic to make sure it could never be used again. It took five years but with the destruction of the Wraithblade the last of the wraiths were also banished from this realm."

"So that is all I have to offer you Dougal, scant comfort though it may be. Find a purpose and through your purpose find redemption. The man you were is not the man you are now, and the man you are now is a better man. Every remembered scream is a reminder that you have the capacity for evil, and a reminder of the cost of taking a wrong turn. We've found a better path now, walk it long enough and maybe we will find peace. That thought gives me some hope at least."
    Dougal looks away. "I was barely a kid when I joined up. Bein a kid in a group o fightin men you just wanna fit in, y'know. You eat, sleep an fight next to em, you start to act like em. Killin enemy soldiers wasn't no big deal to anyone, so I didn' show it. After a while you get numb. They ain't people no more, not to you. An it ain't such a long hop from there to killin civies. In that comp'ny, it turned got turned into a sport. We were makin bets on who killed most on raid. I got good at it. Real good. I didn' think nuthin of it. I- I liked doin it. At the time. It got me respect from my mates, an there's this rush you get durin battle. Spillin blood makes you feel unstoppable.

I lost count o the people I killed durin the war. Must'a been over a hundred. Most o em civies, didn' stand a chance.
    It wasn't until after tha I realize wha I'd been doin. I remember the things I've done, the sound o breakin bone, the cries for mercy. And I know I gave none.
    The merc comp'ny I was with didn' do too well after the war. We- they turned to bandits. I was with em for a while. There was this merchant, travellin with a guard an his two girls and we-"
    Dougal's voice gives out.

"The next mornin I woke and puked my guts out. I couldn' do it no more. I was done with em.
    A coupla o em tried to stop me from leavin. I left em dyin in the ditch.

I was a wreck for a long time since then. Barely more'n a bum. If it hadn' been for my friend Sophie I'd probably still be in the north, killin myself one bottle at a time. I still dunno wha' I could possibly do wha could make up for wha I dun. I wish I could take it all back. The world'd be a better place if I'd never been born. I- I dunno what to do. It feels like I'm hangin by a thread.

Sorry. Yer breakfast's gone cold. I shouldn'ta bothered you with it, I just- I needed to tell somebody."
    Last edited by nahkh; 2014-06-23 at 12:13 PM.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Snips

His business with Lance resolved, Snips has taken to talking to mingling with the sailors and salts and hearing what they might know of pirates in the area. He won't be shy about the fact taking out pirates seem a good and lucrative target for someone in his line of business, both for coin and goodwill from the leadership and sailors bringing in goods.

21. - Top - End - #771

((soo timeline wise this gets a little awkward since the latter would have influenced the concerns of the former))

Thorik can guess at what he's hiding and if the situation were different he would likely turn a blind eye, but will all the unknowns and the danger of the lychantropy spreading he'll turn to the young man.

"From the look on yer face I'd say you think she's very fine actually" the dwarf smiles gently, "Daria is a fine woman... for a human"

the dwarf pauses"whats yer name son?, has she noticed your glances?"
    The guard shuffles a bit in embarrassment. "No, I aint stupid. Aint coming on to no rat. Aint gone near er. She", he hesitates, "she came onto me though, was saying all sorts of things. Wanted me to get her out of here. Didn't know if I should like report it or somefink, felt like a right fool complaining cos a woman came onto me you know?"

Thorik frowns with a hint of sadness. "I see... you don't seem as troubled any more by what has happened, the full moon has been much harder on you than I had feared..."

"I'm lucky that it seems that Countess Eloise her lessons haven't sunken in too deep... Daria, we'll keep lookin for a way ta turn you back"
    Daria stands up straights and looks at you, "Turn me into a simpering fool to follow you around and do your bidding more like. Well I remember that me and I know this me, and I know which I prefer. You can't keep us here for ever and when the Lord of Rats returns he'll strike you down like the fools you are and raise us to be the commanders of his new armies!" She finishes in a shouted crescendo, then goes to sit back down on the bed within her cell.

22. - Top - End - #772

Quote Originally Posted by nahkh View Post

I was a wreck for a long time since then. Barely more'n a bum. If it hadn' been for my friend Sophie I'd probably still be in the north, killin myself one bottle at a time. I still dunno wha' I could possibly do wha could make up for wha I dun. I wish I could take it all back. The world'd be a better place if I'd never been born. I- I dunno what to do. It feels like I'm hangin by a thread.

Sorry. Yer breakfast's gone cold. I shouldn'ta bothered you with it, I just- I needed to tell somebody."
    The Countess looks at the food for a moment, "I couldn't face it to be honest anyway. Some mornings I only eat because otherwise it's wasting the food.". She stops and looks at Dougal, "Never think the world would be a better place without you though."

She walks up to Dougal and gently raises his head. "The world may well have been a better place without the old Dougal. It would not be a better place without the new one. Alice would be dead, Durn's Stand would not exist. The Svirfneblin would have no hope of rescue, we may never have found Daria, the list goes on. Those Flares of yours have saved two lives I know of, and they may yet save many more."

"Will the new Dougal balance the scales of the old Dougal? Will the good I do now and before ever make up for my actions in the war? I have no way of knowing the answers to those questions and I cannot change the weight on the dark side of that scale. But I do know I'm going to do everything I can to tip that scale the other way before my time in this world comes to an end. Whether I make it or not, all I can do is try and every grain makes a difference."
    Last edited by ZarchAlDain; 2014-06-23 at 01:57 PM.

23. - Top - End - #773

The guard shuffles a bit in embarrassment. "No, I aint stupid. Aint coming on to no rat. Aint gone near er. She", he hesitates, "she came onto me though, was saying all sorts of things. Wanted me to get her out of here. Didn't know if I should like report it or somefink, felt like a right fool complaining cos a woman came onto me you know?"
    "aaaahhh. my apologies..." the dwarf pauses in thought "It is troubling to hear that she is reaching out... You know her situation right, what happened to her lover... she should not be ready ta... reach out like that again..."

"It is as you say, her affliction makes her dangerous... Tis good that ye kept that in mind"

Daria stands up straights and looks at you, "Turn me into a simpering fool to follow you around and do your bidding more like. Well I remember that me and I know this me, and I know which I prefer. You can't keep us here for ever and when the Lord of Rats returns he'll strike you down like the fools you are and raise us to be the commanders of his new armies!" She finishes in a shouted crescendo, then goes to sit back down on the bed within her cell.
    Thorik nods stoicly, trying to hide his sadness (likely poorly). On his way out the dwarf can't help but throw a vicious glance to Tyrvovil who is likely sitting smugly in his cell... but then softens as he remembers that he might have gone through a similar digression.

With determined pacing Thorik will request an audience with Lord Rochdale to inform him of the situation.

When and if Rochdales makes time for the dwarf Thorik seems frustrated and angry.
    "It looks like we lost Daria in tha fullmoon. Tha compulsion has dug in once more... an... an its worse any regret over what has happened seems ta have been burried deep."

"tha lass helped us... she was so brave... looked so proud" Thoriks fist is shaking

the dwarf scowls as he regains his composure "I doubt many have missed tha screaming. but yer men should make sure ta know shes as dangerous as Tyrvovil now, I need to speak with Franklin and Davri... there has ta be more we can try to bring her back... Rike too..."

24. - Top - End - #774

Sir Roschdale listens in silence, then nods grimly. "Aye, I'll make sure everyone knows. At least your...intervention... brought her a few days free from this evil and gave us a lead on solving it properly. You don't think it's worth trying again then?"

"I hope the Lady Graceling can give us some options. She was looking into this, although at our last meeting she was saying that with the limited information she has to work with she's not really making any progress."

25. - Top - End - #775

Sir Roschdale listens in silence, then nods grimly. "Aye, I'll make sure everyone knows. At least your...intervention... brought her a few days free from this evil and gave us a lead on solving it properly. You don't think it's worth trying again then?"
    Thorik frowns but nods "We had a backup plan should the tea be refused... tis something that would have to be done with force. like the Tea it would likely offer freedom from tha compulsion till the next moon... but things have changed, while she had access to her regrets an empathy the last time we tried, this time she'll not have access to those to steel her will.. also she did not resist the... 'aid' we gave her last time... were we to try again tis likely she'll put up a fight in more ways than one"

"Tha materials for this forcefull approach also dun come cheaply, I have enough fer one attempt put aside... but... I cannay say what the consequence of failure would be..." Thorik frowns "I feel reluctant..."

Thorik sighs "theres just somany unknowns... Tis clear that this is unlike the rare cases of Lycantropy we had on the northern continent. Tis been altered... twisted by the archmage Rattus."
    Last edited by Talvara; 2014-06-23 at 03:16 PM.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Dougal Badrick

Dougal shivered at the Countess's touch, and he had tears in his eyes as he raised his head.

"I- thank you. I dunno if can ever tip the scale but I'll be damned if I don' try."

Dougal regains his composure before continuing.

"I wanna keep everyone safe. But I only got these two hands, I can only do so much by fightin off monsters. There's just so much more to keepin people safe tha I don' know or understand. I've been tryin to organize more patrols but it ain't workin out yet. I could really use some advice on that.

You reckon it'd be possible to make it a law or somethin that everyone needs to own a longspear or a bow or somethin an show up to a combat drill every coupla weeks? Just so they'd could defend themselves if it came to that?"

27. - Top - End - #777

The Countess

The Countess sits down and begins picking at her breakfast as Dougal talks, clearly not really hungry but making a show of eating. "We could, but as always things are never that simple. People have their own lives to live. Spears are useless without practice and training. Practice and training takes time and dedication. People have businesses to run, children to feed. Besides, can you imagine Henry from The Anchor holding a spear?"

"Having said that forming up a volunteer militia and outfitting them with basic equipment and training, starting with a small squad and building it up from there. Now that's is something that might be workable. This is a dangerous land and everyone here is going to see the benefits of knowing which end of a spear is which."

"The problem with building anything that's going to last is that you need to start with the foundations and then build it up with one brick at a time. If you build the roof first then you need to hold it up while you push the walls in underneath, and without foundations those walls will never hold".

"The thing to consider here is the objective. Patrols is your conclusion but what do we actually want to achieve through patrols? Increasing safety? Well the easiest way to do that is to get people to stay inside the settlement walls, patrols actually increase the risk to them. To make the roads safer? Well since a few of the adventuring types went through and cleaned out the large predators there haven't been any attacks. It's not like we have a bandit problem."

"I understand your desire to do something, anything, I really do. I feel the same way myself sometimes. But the first thing is to identify the goal, and then work out how to achieve it. Your militia idea has a lot of merit for example, it's just a matter of working out how to build it one step at a time."

She smiles wryly, "Oh, and if you want to build anything big you'll need to learn to delegate too. I nearly killed myself with exhaustion the first few years running my part of the Free States 'till I learned that."
    Last edited by ZarchAlDain; 2014-06-23 at 05:07 PM.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Dougal Badrick

Dougal ponders for a moment, then glances at the second breakfast that had been laid out earlier. He gestures at it and says: "Uh, you mind?

((Assuming the Countess doesn't mind))

Dougal sits down and starts wolfing down the breakfast. After a few seconds he pauses, looking embarrassed, and starts eating at a more sedate pace.

"Henry, yeah. He'll never be much o a soldier, tha's true. But he could stand on the end o a spear an take down a chargin horse. I'd rather imagine him holdin a spear than him getting killed because he had nothin to defend himself with. We don't always get to choose who has to fight. But yeah, I see wha you mean by startin small. Figure out how to get things workin when we get more an more people in on it.

I'll see if I can recruit some people, I reckon I know a few folks who might be interested.

One goal does come to mind. Y'know how there are dangerous places 'round the place? Like tha' circle near the owlbear nest? Or the tower?

Well I reckon I oughta get someone to go an mark em clearly so people don't stumble into em. I already got my man Ashwin drawin maps that has their locations, but maybe going a full circle half a mile wide 'round the place an markin the trees with red paint?

How'd the talks with em pixies go? I'm hopin tha we could maybe talk them into keepin the quicklings away from Durn, you reckon we could trade em somethin for tha?"

29. - Top - End - #779

Snips

His business with Lance resolved, Snips has taken to talking to mingling with the sailors and salts and hearing what they might know of pirates in the area. He won't be shy about the fact taking out pirates seem a good and lucrative target for someone in his line of business, both for coin and goodwill from the leadership and sailors bringing in goods.
    They mostly laugh at that, "Aint no pirates round these parts. Ships full of food and settlers don't make good targets. 'course that might change once we start shipping valuable stuff back but we aint seen any yet".

30. - Top - End - #780

Thorik frowns but nods "We had a backup plan should the tea be refused... tis something that would have to be done with force. like the Tea it would likely offer freedom from tha compulsion till the next moon... but things have changed, while she had access to her regrets an empathy the last time we tried, this time she'll not have access to those to steel her will.. also she did not resist the... 'aid' we gave her last time... were we to try again tis likely she'll put up a fight in more ways than one"

"Tha materials for this forcefull approach also dun come cheaply, I have enough fer one attempt put aside... but... I cannay say what the consequence of failure would be..." Thorik frowns "I feel reluctant..."

Thorik sighs "theres just somany unknowns... Tis clear that this is unlike the rare cases of Lycantropy we had on the northern continent. Tis been altered... twisted by the archmage Rattus."
    Sir Roschdale sighs, "I find myself forced to agree with you, give me a foe I can face on the field of battle any day. I'd really like to get my hands on this Alpha I can tell you, for what he's done he needs to pay."