New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default To Hunt in the Shadow [WoT] IC

It is late spring in the year 997 NE, and the land around Fal Moran, capital of Shienar, is beginning to bloom. But these are troubled times, and the people of the city seem subdued, tense. Mazrim Taim is the fourth man to name himself Dragon, and his wars have turned nearby Saldaea into a battlefield, and hundreds have died already, many of whom were relatives of the Shienarans.

In these dark days, four strangers have found their way to the capital, and each has taken rooms throughout the city for a few days. It is early morning, and each of them receives an unexpected visit.

Spoiler: Alric
    Show
    A messenger arrives at the inn where Alric has been staying for a few days, and he wears the livery of the royal household. A letter is left for Alric bearing the seal of House Togita, and signed by the king himself.

Alric Gaidin,

I am afraid this letter must be brief, for many duties press me in these days. I would invite you to speak with me on a matter of great import as soon as can be accommodated.

Come to the palace and you will be admitted.

Yours in honour,
    Easar of House Togita

Spoiler: Dai'allien
    Show
    Dai'allien was not used to cities such as those i Shienar, where no man could wear a hood and the streets were constantly kept light. But these were the customs of these Wetlanders. As he stepped through the streets he heard a call from behind him, and saw a young woman, Eselle chasing him.

Spoiler: Eselle
    Show

She was the daughter of the innkeeper where Dai'allien had been staying, and she taken a liking to the handsome Aiel. "Dai!" she called breathlessly, "Don't look so surprised, I asked Bayrd to sort out the cellar, so I am free for the day. I think he's trying to impress me."

"So, what are we doing?"
    she asks nonchalantly, falling into step with Dai'allien.

Spoiler: Elsa
    Show
    A woman arrives at the inn where Elsa has been staying for the last few days. She is richly dressed in silk, but not extravagantly so. She leaves a letter with the innkeeper and departs.

The letter reads as follows:

Greetings lady Elsabet of the most noble house of Cynar,

I would like to extend my warmest regards to you and your great family. We so rarely get a chance to meet ladies from the southern courts, and I cannot pass up this chance to offer myself as a host and guide whilst you are here in Fal Moran. The city itself is wonderful, and I am certain you will want to experience it fully whilst you stay here. I will also humbly offer you my assistance in whatever capacity during your stay.

Please, seek me at the palace and I will introduce you to our court.

Yours,
    lady Edeyn ti Gemallen Arrel

Spoiler: Timothy
    Show
    A woman arrives at the inn where Timothy has been staying for the last few days. She is richly dressed in silk, but not extravagantly so. She leaves a letter with the innkeeper and departs.

Greetings lord Timothy of the most noble house Ordell,

I would like to extend my warmest regards to you and your great family. We so rarely get a chance to meet lords from outside the borderlands, and I cannot pass up this chance to offer myself as a host and guide whilst you are here in Fal Moran. The city itself is wonderful, and I am certain you will want to experience it fully whilst you stay here. I will also humbly offer you my assistance in whatever capacity during your stay.

Please, seek me at the palace and I will introduce you to our court.

Yours,
    lady Edeyn ti Gemallen Arrel

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: To Hunt in the Shadow [WoT] IC

Alric awakens in a cold sweat. At least he wasn't screaming. He stopped screaming a long time ago. Resheathing his sword he went to look out the window. By sheer coincidence, he was given one of the few rooms with a view facing north.

Toward the Blight. The Blight... So many years spent there...

Pulling his clothes on, he put his coat on and strapped his sword to his hip. Heading downstairs he is surprised to see a messenger waiting for him. He takes the letter, reads it, and then speaks to the servant.

Take me to the palace.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Dai'allien winced at the moniker placed on him, making sure to hide his uncomfortableness from the girl. As daughter of the.. roof he was staying under, it would not do to see her actions causing him shame. Best to bear it in silence. Besides, she was one of the few wetlanders who did not treat him as dat'sang.
    "I am again going to the ones in charge of law. Follow if you wish, but I move quickly at times."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Timothy, ever the opportunist, sees a chance in this letter. A chance to gain status and a position more suited to one of his... caliber. He dresses in his practical travelers clothes, rather than noble finery. These noble lords have always seemed rather impressed by such things. He hangs his sword over his shoulder in it's sheath. He wears his signet ring, something he has not done in some time. He hangs his harp over his shoulder. He shoves his dagger and handaxe into his belt. He loads himself up with his usual gear and heads. He heads to the palace entrance and presents himself.
    My awesome avvy by Ceika

Previous avatars by terry576 and Derjuin

My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #5

RedKnightGirl

Show
    The messenger nods to Alric's demand, and leads him through the streets towards the palace at the centre of the city. It has a wall circling it, as though it were a keep or castle, but all things in the borderlands are built for military purpose first.

Alric is led through the gates and into the palace, a large, dark stoned building with a size to rival any of the other borderland palaces, and little of the finery of the south.

He was brought to a door where the messenger gestured for him to wait before knocking and slipping inside alone. A moment later he reappears and brings Alric into the throne room, though for the moment the centre of the floor is taken over by a large table with a number of maps.

King Easar stands over the table with his nephew, the so called Great Captain Agelmar Jagad. Three other men, all with Shienaran topknots stand with them and further from the table men and women sit on the benches in their own conversation. Alric identifies most as nobles, with a few military men looking disgruntled.

Easar looks up at Alric's entrance and salutes him in greeting. "Tai'shar Malkier!" The messenger indicates that Alric should approach the table.

"It is good that you are here Alric Gaidin. Men like you are needed in these times. Moara sedai says your coming is the weaving of the pattern, and if so I thank it. I need someone with your knowledge of the Blight."

As Easar finishes, a man in the livery of House Togita enters and announces a noble man: "My lords and ladies, my king, I present lord Timothy of house Ordell, from Arad Doman."

A woman raises her hand to Timothy and beckons him. She looks to be in her late fifties, but still has the grace and beauty of a much younger woman.

Show
    "Well alright then, doesn't seem like a very nice place to take a lady, but luckily for you I'm not one," she adds teasingly.

The pair find their way to the guard house, near to the palace wall and they approach the two guards who stand on duty outside. One of them draws his sword on seeing Dai'allien, whilst the other rests his hand on the hilt of his own.

"Ho Aiel!" cries the man with drawn sword, whilst the other challenges him: "What business have you here?"

Show
    Timothy briskly strides through the city, full of purpose and easily finds his way to the palace. It is a large building at the centre of the city with a wall circling it, as though it were a keep or castle, but all things in the borderlands are built for military purpose first.

Edeyn's letter gets him past the guards with only appraising glances, and he is told that she will likely be in the throne room where king Easar holds court. He passes through the gates and into the palace, a large, dark stoned building with a size to rival any of the other borderland palaces, and little of the finery of the south.

A man in the livery of the royal house leads him to the throne room and steps through the door in order to announce him. ""My lords and ladies, my king, I present lord Timothy of house Ordell, from Arad Doman."

Timothy sees that the throne room is mostly taken over by a large table with a number of maps. King Easar stands over the table with his nephew, the so called Great Captain Agelmar Jagad. Three other men, all with Shienaran topknots stand with them, as does an elderly man in conversation with the king himself. Further from the table men and women sit on the benches in their own conversation. They look to be mostly nobles, with a few military men looking disgruntled. A woman raises her hand to Timothy and beckons him. She looks to be in her late fifties, but still has the grace and beauty of a much younger woman.

6. - Top - End - #6

Curtly nodding his head, Dai'allien shifts the veil from his face as a gesture of peace. "I am Dai'allien of Blackwater Sept and I seek information regarding a band of bandits who may be hiding in Shienar. Please relay my request to one in charge of such things."

Spoiler
    Show

Roll for Diplomacy in regards to accepting my request (1d20+5)[18] and Perception to read their mood in regards to Aiel (1d20+2)[14].

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Tai'shar Shienar.

Alrics moves over in front of the king and bows.

Thank you for your invitation, highness.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Elsabet Cynar

Lady Edeyn ti Gemallen Arrel clearly hasn't taken a look at me, Elsa thinks to herself as she reads the missive. She's in for a shock. Struggling she takes a sheaf of fresh paper from her chest and lays it flat on her desk. She grips the pen in her left hand, it still doesn't feel natural after all these years, and begins to write.

Lady Edeyn,

You do me a great kindness by inviting me into your august company. I am something of a recluse but would be happy to meet with you for a private interview.

Yours.

Elsa Cynar

She was inclined to turn down the chance to meet and avoid the looks of pity that she'd receive from a noble court. They wouldn't want an ugly cripple in their midst but it might be useful for her mission.

She took the note to the innkeeper, "See that this is delivered to the palace, please."
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

RedKnightGirl

Show
    Easar directs Alric's attention to the maps on the table, mostly depicting Shienar and the ruins of Malkier, the section of the Blight that bordered Shienar. Most maps also included Tarwin's Gap, the famed defensive position that had been the location of many battles.

"The trollocs grow in number Alric, our scouts report they're massing in the Blight, coming down from Thakan'dar and their spawning pits. And our people are disappearing. Villages burned, with no corpses left, but you can see cart tracks and footprints, as though they are being carried away. These are not going to the Trolloc's cook pots."

"Alric, I need someone to go to follow the Trollocs, to find out who is leading them and the sort of numbers we are facing. Everyman I can call upon will be heading to Tarwin's Gap to face them on the battlefield. But I need someone to enter the Blight. Find out why these people are being taken, and discover the locations and numbers of the trolloc troops."

Show
    "We've seen none of your kind here Aiel, go back where you came from," jeers the sneering guard, but the other nods and answers: "If you leave your weapons outside, you may enter and speak with the captain. Lady, will you vouch for this man?"
    "I will," Eselle responds, clearly pleased by her connection with Dai'allien.

*If* Dai'allien accedes to leaving his weapons outside, he enters and sees the captain at the desk. The man looks tough and is missing an eye, and is clearly surprised to see an Aiel enter, but once the guard from outside relays Dai'allien's mission, the man simply looks puzzled. "What sort of bandits are these? And why seek them. Some do roam our lands, but not many, not here."

Show
    The inn keeper nods, slightly awed that his visitor is afforded such special treatment by a noble lady, and hurries off to pay a messenger. Elsa can either await a response from Edeyn, or head out to make her own inquiries.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Elsabet Cynar

Angry at being disturbed and at herself for her lack of confidence she stalks out of the inn. Each step is a pain for her and she leans heavily on her staff as she makes her way outside. The stares of passers by annoy her further and she lurches into an alley to avoid them. A disguise is what I need she thinks as she embraces the source and concentrates. A weave of Air, Fire and Spirit settles round her and she shapes it to seem like her old self. Carefully tying it off she emerges from the alley feeling much more confident.

She approaches a merchant, still limping but not so chagrined by her scars, "Which is the quickest way to the palace?" she asks, almost politely. Following his directions she makes her way there intent on discovering more about this Lady Edeyn ti Gemallen Arrel, whoever she may be.

Spoiler: META
    Show
    0th level weave used to cast a 1st level Disguise as I have all the affinities. It is a minor change to hide the scars rather than an actual disguise. It should last exactly 6 days tied off.

Knowledge ( Nobility and Royalty ) to see if I know anything about Edeyn (1d20+7)[24]
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11

"The men I seek took something incredibly valuable of mine and I aim to have it back. They were hired to do so by someone who now wishes them dead. One of them was left behind in Cairhien and I extracted their location from a former ally. My only real clue towards their location is Shienar and this seemed the best place to begin my search. Any information about possible new bandits would be incredibly useful and I would gladly pay, in gold or services, for it."

Spoiler
    Show

Again Diplomacy (1d20+5)[14] and Bluff (if necessary) (1d20+8)[13]

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Into the Blight...

Again.

Alric hasn't been there since... Well, since Leana was killed. That was years ago now, but he will not soon forget the horrors of that place.

His fingers slowly slipped to the hilt of his sword and fingered the braided leather cords strapped there. The hadori of another of the sons of Malkier. Perhaps he will be able to carry it into battle as he promised...

This was not his duty. His duty lay dead in a Saldean field, buried for nearly forty years.

But still... something about this tugged at him. It tugged at his heart... At his memories. Memories of home. Of Malkier. Malkier... His hand slowly unwraps one of the leather braids. He raises his hands to his head, and as respectfully as he had the day he first received his, he donned the hadori once again.

Malkier always stands ready to fight the Shadow, Majesty.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

13. - Top - End - #13

RedKnightGirl

Show
    Elsa has little trouble finding the palace. It is a large building at the centre of the city with a wall circling it, as though it were a keep or castle, but all things in the borderlands are built for military purpose first.

Edeyn's letter gets her past the guards with few questions, and she is told that Edeyn will likely be in the throne room where king Easar holds court. Elsa passes through the gates and into the palace, a large, dark stoned building with a size to rival any of the other borderland palaces, and little of the finery of the south.

A man in the livery of the royal house leads her to the throne room and steps through the door in order to announce him. ""My lords and ladies, my king, I present lady Elsa of House Cynar, from Cairhien."

Elsa sees that the throne room is mostly taken over by a large table with a number of maps. King Easar stands over the table with his nephew, the so called Great Captain Agelmar Jagad. Three other men, all with Shienaran topknots stand with them, as does an elderly man in conversation with the king himself. Further from the table men and women sit on the benches in their own conversation. They look to be mostly nobles, with a few military men looking disgruntled. A woman raises her hand to Elsa and beckons her. She looks to be in her late fifties, but still has the grace and beauty of a much younger woman, she is also already in conversation with a young man who appears to be wearing travelling clothes and weapons, rather than court finery, though this does not bother anyone else.

Spoiler: Knowledge Check
    Show
    Edeyn is Malkieri by blood, one of the few remaining, having escaped its fall in her youth. She is known was known as an influential lady in the borderland courts until the murder of her daughter twenty years ago. She became a recluse for a time, but five years ago began to regain her power, though not as fiercely as before.

Show
    "I do not know why an Aiel would be in Cairhien, but this is your business, not mine." He began to sort through some reports on his desk until he came to two which he removed.

"We have received reports of two groups of brigands in the past month, which is itself unusual. One was apprehended and destroyed by king Easar's troops, Light shelter them, last week three leagues from here, to the north. I cannot say how much fortune you will have in recovering your treasure after that though, for the troops will have ridden for the Gap. The other has been causing damage in the countryside near Fal Dara, but have not yet been brought to justice."

Show
    "Tai'shar Malkier," he repeats as Alric agrees. "You needs must find your own companions, though I can offer you an escort of men who are heading to the Gap."

As he finishes speaking, a woman enters and is announced as the Lady Elsabet of House Cynar, from Cairhien.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Timothy approaches the lady who beckoned to him. He gives a bow, long enough to be respectful, but not overly flowery. My lady, how may I be of service to you.
    My awesome avvy by Ceika

My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #15

RedKnightGirl

Show
    Edeyn smiles and turns away from the group she was with in order to speak to Timothy personally. "Ah, lord Timothy. My interest is always peaked when a foreign lord comes to the borderlands. And since I have made Shienar my home for the time being, well I feel a certain vested interest. May I ask what brings you to Fal Moran?"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Elsabet Cynar

Elsabet clumps forwards, her staff suddenly heavy in her hand and liable to trip her up. Why had she come here today instead of simply refusing? Everyone was looking at her and even behind her disguise she could feel them staring at the cross cross of scars that mar her face.

Taking a deep breath she moves slowly into the throne room. She'd heard of Edeyn, of course, her daughter was killed in Kandor decades ago leaving her without an heir. Is this some effort to regain her influence? Daes Dae'mar, the Game of Houses, was being played here and like a fool she'd walked right into it. Offering a bow to the king first she makes her way to Edeyn with a smile forced onto her face, "Lady Edeyn, I apologise, I hadn't planned on making a public appearance but wished to seek you out privately. I wasn't aware that my presence in Fal Moran had been noted or I would have attended the court earlier."
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

"I thank you for your assistance." Dai'allien leaves the room, considering his options as he walks. Zuvin would have no doubt sought shelter with the soldiers, so it's highly unlikely she'd have been with the apprehended group. The other group was a possibility, but causing damage did not sound like criminals trying to hide.
    Still, it was the only path he had left. The traitor he'd spoken to had said their employer had betrayed them and were sending mercenaries, so time was not on his side.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I am the youngest son of three my lady, I have less responsibility then my brothers to my house. I decided to come here to hone my skills with the blade through serious use. I also desired to know and better understand the plight and circumstances of those of you who border the Blight, holding it back for the benefit of all.
    My awesome avvy by Ceika

My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #19

RedKnightGirl

Show
    As they leave Eselle turns to Dai'allien. "Did you say from Cairhien? I heard there is a young Cairhienin woman in the city. It's a long shot, but she might know something about your bandits, or have seen them on the way?"

Spoiler: Timothy & Elsa
    Show
    "A southerner who understands the responsibilities of the borderland thrones; rare indeed. You will have no shortage of enemies for your blade though, make no mistake, the clouds gather, and Easar over there gathers his armies for war."

"And worry not my dear,"
    Edeyn adds, turning to Elsa, "I have many friends and I make it my business to know who passes through. You are looking rather well today." She does not stare, but it seems she is inspecting Elsa's face.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Elsabet Cynar

Elsa shies away from the direct look and shifts her hair to cover the right side of her face, "I'm as well as can be expected, thank you."

She looks up at the youngster with her left eye, "You're going to war with the good general?" Talking to him was a way to distract herself from Edeyn's scrutiny. A handsome fellow though he looks too skinny to be much use with a blade.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Timothy addresses Edeyn first, Is it as I suspected then. I've had more frequent encounters with Trollocs of late then ever before. Are they massing as a force in the blight then? He also turns to Elsabet, If he would ask such of me, then I could hardly say no. The Shadowspawn cannot be allowed to range into the south.
    My awesome avvy by Ceika

My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #22

RedKnightGirl

Show
    "It appears that the king plans to send Alric Gaidin to the Blight to find out exactly where the trollocs are massing, the rest of his forces ride for the Gap." Edeyn says Alric's name with a tone of respect that she did not even use for the king.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Elsabet Cynar

"Alric is here? I thought he was dead. He must be nearly eighty years old by now." Elsa looks around, wondering if the old man is here at all, "He's a legend. Seeing him still fighting would be like meeting Cadsuane."

She looks sharply at Edeyn, "Did he come with any Aes Sedai?"
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Very well, highness. If you will excuse me then, I must see about finding brave souls to venture beyond the Gap.

After he is dismissed by the king, Alric turns to study the maps on the table, noting any details that may have changed since he was last in the Blight.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

25. - Top - End - #25

RedKnightGirl

Spoiler: Elsa & Timothy
    Show
    Edeyn gestures to the map table where the elderly man who was in conference with king Easar is stooped over, examining the notes. Elsa recognises him as the legendary Alric.
    "He came alone dear, as you must know, his Aes Sedai passed away. The only Aes Sedai here is Moara Sedai, his majesty's advisor, but she is has left the city for a few days." Edeyn says all of this whilst continuing to inspect Elsa.

Show
    Alric notes that the Shienarans' maps of the Blight are vague, with few specific features known even a mile beyond the border. The maps have the locations of all the raids across the border in the last year, and which ones involved kidnapping, which it transpires only began three months ago. They also have noted the sites of various trolloc raiding groups, and known locations for large groups of trollocs to gather, of which there are three close to the Gap.

"We've seen trollocs gathering at each of those," lord Agelmar states, noting Alric's interest. "That's always one of the first signs that an attack is coming, that and the raids. Moran's Tower, the Illen Falls and the Pit."

26. - Top - End - #26

Dai'allien starts at Eselle's voice, his mind quickly running the gambit between possible trap or just the girl trying to keep him in the city for some reason. In the end, it was actually a better lead than the ones the captain had given him. "Do you know where she is staying? I intend to visit her immediately."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Unless there is something else you needed then my lady, I will introduce myself to this Alric. I'm sure he won't want to enter the Blight alone.
    My awesome avvy by Ceika

My Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #28

RedKnightGirl

Show
    "But I was only just getting to know you," Edeyn replies, pouting playfully. "Oh, go on, I'm sure I have much to speak about with Lady Elsa."

Show
    Eselle shows Dai'allien to a tavern, but on enquiring after the Cairhienin woman the innkeeper says: "The lady? She's out. Gone ot the palace I heard. Had a letter from lady Edeyn herself this morning."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

I assure you, this is not the last you lovely ladies have seen of me. He gives a formal bow, then heads toward the other table. As he walks he tries to recall the proper way to greet a Border Lord.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) (1d20+3)[15]
    My awesome avvy by Ceika

My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Elsabet Cynar

Elsa watches the young man walk across the room towards Alric. She appreciates the way that he moves, very graceful but he lacks that Warder way of stalking where every motion is like a cat ready to pounce. Maybe the old man will teach him that if he lives long enough.

With a smirk she returns her gaze to Edeyn, "Honestly, my lady, it's better to stare at a fine young rear like that than my old face." She hopes that she'll shock Edeyn into revealing exactly what her scrutiny is but she suspects that the old woman much too skilled in conversation to fall for it.

Taking a glass from a passing waiter she sipped the strong wine. "You were saying about Aes Sedai. I thought that Cara al'Lin Sedai was here too or was recently." Not subtle perhaps but Elsa had never had much patience for beating around the bush.
    Spoiler
    Show