New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default War Gems [Magic Items, Peach]

My D&D group was assigned to defend a city from a siege/assault for 6 hours. We had an in-game week to prepare, so i came up with these little beauties (with heavy inspiration from Codex Alera). Forgive the terrible formatting, I am very tired and not good with magic items.

War Gems

Each War Gem is a sphere of polished glass 3 inches in diameter, weighing ½ lb. When a War Gem strikes a surface and shatters, it activates. These items are meant to be used in massive quantities and can be loaded as bundle into a light catapult. A bundle of war gems consists of 100 war gems, weighs 50 pounds, and affects a 50-foot x 50-foot area. An area covered by shattered war gems is considered difficult terrain.

Gem of Grease
    10ft x 10ft area is affected by Grease (as the spell) for 4 rounds
    dc 16
    Faint conjuration; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, Grease; Price 50 gp.

Gem of Burning Hands
    a 10ft x 10 ft area is set on fire dealing 2d4 fire
    dc 16 reflex
    Faint Evocation; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, Burning Hands; Price 50 gp.

Gem of Sleep
    a 10 x10 ft area is affect by Sleep (as the spell) for 4 rounds
    will save dc 16
    Faint Enchantment; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, Sleep; Price 50 gp.

Gem of Elements, Least (I,1)
    5ft x 5ft area takes 1d3 acid, 1d3 shock, 1d3 cold, 1d3 sonic, and 1d3 fire damage.
    Targets get a reflex dc 15 per element
    Faint Evocation; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, Acid Splash, Ray of Frost, Electric Jolt, Ultrasonic Ray, Anvil Sparks; Price 80 gp.
    cost 125gp

Gem of Elements, Lesser(II,2)
    5ft x 5ft area takes 1d8 acid, 1d8 shock, 1d8 cold and 1d8 fire damage.
    Targets get a reflex dc 16 per element
    Faint Evocation; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, Orb of(Acid/Cold/Fire/Shock/Sonic), Lesser; ; Price 150 gp.

Gem of Acid, Lesser (II,2)
    5ft x 5 ft area takes 1d3 + 1d8 acid
    reflex dc 16
    Faint Evocation; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, Orb of Acid, Lesser, Acid Splash; Price 75 gp.

Gem of cold, Lesser (II,2)
    5ft x 5 ft area takes 1d3 + 1d8 cold
    reflex dc 16
    Faint Evocation; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, Orb of Cold, Lesser, Ray of Frost; Price 75 gp.

Gem of Shock, Lesser (II,2)
    5ft x 5 ft area takes 1d3 + 1d8 shock
    reflex dc 16
    Faint Evocation; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, Orb of Shock, Lesser, Electric Jolt; Price 75 gp.

Gem of fire, Lesser (II,2)
    5ft x 5 ft area takes 1d3 + 1d8 fire
    reflex dc 16
    Faint Evocation; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, Orb of Fire, Lesser, Anvil Sparks; Price 75 gp.

Gem of fire, Lesser (II,2)
    5ft x 5 ft area takes 1d3 + 1d8 sonic
    reflex dc 16
    Faint Evocation; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, Orb of Sonic, Lesser, Ultrasonic Ray; Price 75 gp.

Gem of Hailing Stones
    10ft x 10ft x 20ft are is hit by stones targets inside take 2d4 damage
    d20 + 7 vs ac
    Faint Evocation; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, Hailing stones; Price 50 gp.

Gem of Raging Flame
    all fires within 30ft; deal double damage, and give off 2x as much light for 2 rounds
    Faint Evocation; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, Raging Flame; Price 50 gp.

Gem of Differentiation
    targets in a 30 ft area are covered in faerie fire
    the color varies depending on the targets combat role
    purple = mage
    green = ranged
    blue = stealth/skills
    yellow = healer
    red = melee
    Faint Evocation; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, Faerie Fire, Dancing Lights; Price 75 gp.
    Last edited by AkazilliaDeNaro; 2014-03-04 at 11:22 PM.
    If you are going to shorten my name go with "Akaz" instead of "Aka" its less confusing.
    Also I may End up Capatalizing the BEginning of words, or mispelleing them interly.
    Think nothing of it, I just REALLY suck at typing.(Those examples were on purpose, though.)
    My Homebrews
    Homebrew Table Tutorial

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: [D&D 3.5] War Gems [Magic Items, Peach]

If the gems are meant to be used in large quantities, shouldn't they be "gems" rather than singular?

A lot of information is missing and not just "formatting." I have no idea how you determined costs. Are these one-shot items?

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    If the gems are meant to be used in large quantities, shouldn't they be "gems" rather than singular?

A lot of information is missing and not just "formatting." I have no idea how you determined costs. Are these one-shot items?

Debby
    Each gem is meant to be used in tandem with others, thus the singular.
    For the cost i used the core mechanic for making magic items, which can be found here.
    By "one-shot" I guess you would mean single-use which I thought was implied as they activate by shattering.
    If you are going to shorten my name go with "Akaz" instead of "Aka" its less confusing.
    Also I may End up Capatalizing the BEginning of words, or mispelleing them interly.
    Think nothing of it, I just REALLY suck at typing.(Those examples were on purpose, though.)
    My Homebrews
    Homebrew Table Tutorial

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Well, if you want to use these in a siege weapon how about this:

Each War Gem is a disk of polished glass 3 inches in diameter, an inch thick, and weighing ½ lb. When a War Gem strikes a surface and shatters, it activates. These items are meant to be used in massive quantities and can be loaded as bundle into a light catapult. A bundle of war gems consists of 100 war gems, weighs 50 pounds, and affects a 50-foot x 50-foot area. An area covered by shattered war gems is considered difficult terrain.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread