New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default In Need of a Map for a Stronghold

I'm looking to map out my 10 story high, 2 room wide Crawling Artificer's Tower.
    It's made of a divine white metal and has a crystal domed greenhouse of extraplanar wonder jutting out from the side of the top of it.

Does anyone know of an existing map that would suffice or of a program that would make said mapping possible for a complete amateur?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: In Need of a Map for a Stronghold

Hmm thats a tall order, I usually use Photoshop but something like GIMP or another free program could work well if you want to make it yourself. I think it would be pretty easy to get a basic map done that way.
    You surrender after you're dead. Lan Mandragoran

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhynn View Post
    Similarly, Pyromancer's Dungeon Painter.

Probably generally better to find maps you like and base your designs on them than the other way around if you don't want to make your own. :p

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I use Dundjinni, personally.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

How much detail do you need? Two rooms wide? With or without a staircase? Round, oval, square shaped?

Here's a link to the old Map of the Week feature. There might be something in there you can use.

Or just page through some of the source books and find a piece you can use and modify to your needs. I know there are lots of maps in the later books like Elder Evils, etc.

The lowly Paint program would work fine for something fast and easy. Depends on your detailing needs.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgmoah View Post
    How much detail do you need? Two rooms wide? With or without a staircase? Round, oval, square shaped?

Here's a link to the old Map of the Week feature. There might be something in there you can use.

Or just page through some of the source books and find a piece you can use and modify to your needs. I know there are lots of maps in the later books like Elder Evils, etc.

The lowly Paint program would work fine for something fast and easy. Depends on your detailing needs.

The level of detail is the thing. The more I think about your question the more it makes sense.

The Tower is a customized version of the Moving Tower from the Clockwork Wonders web supplement. only it is two rooms wide instead of one room wide and is ten stories tall and made of a sort of white iron.

At the base is a Magic item trash pile room of sorts beside the stable. At the top is an Arcane observatory beside the aforementioned crystal domed Extraplanar Greenhouse.

I could post the entire build in the OP if that helps. I've been Googling Wizard's Towers and Steampunk Towers etc, both maps of and pictures of, to little avail.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Use a pencil and paper?

Old school!

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Altair_the_Vexed View Post
    Use a pencil and paper?

Old school!
    That's where I'm probably headed.
    I'm just so very very inept at it. :(

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    That's where I'm probably headed.
    I'm just so very very inept at it. :(
    Graph paper and a ruler, maybe a cheap compass....
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Depending on the time available and the detail you'd like, you might take a look at the Cartographer's Guild. They have mapping tutorials and WIP threads that can be very useful, both for baseline instruction and for providing images that can be adapted. JackTannery in particular does absolutely amazing encounter maps.

They also have a section where you can request maps, although they don't post with quite the same frequency as here on the Playground, so it might become a longer-term project. But definitely worth checking out the site.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Depending on the time available and the detail you'd like, you might take a look at the Cartographer's Guild. They have mapping tutorials and WIP threads that can be very useful, both for baseline instruction and for providing images that can be adapted. JackTannery in particular does absolutely amazing encounter maps.

They also have a section where you can request maps, although they don't post with quite the same frequency as here on the Playground, so it might become a longer-term project. But definitely worth checking out the site.
    Ooo! Thanks for that. I know I'd stumbled on their site at some point in the distant past but had forgotten about it in the interim. Will give them another look.