Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground LV

Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    I've requested access. You may want to make that public so you don't have to keep allowing folks.
    Yeah, I clicked the share with anyone with a link, and I guess I did it wrong. I'm working on getting it as public but am having difficulty via my phone.
    I am what lurks under your bridge, I am the troll...

Not sure about what I said, go back highlight it with your mouse and wham it's magically blue for sarcasm, so like everything on the internet take it with a grain of salt.

Spoiler: IC Trophies
    Show
    LIV Silver Auric Goldbones
    LVII Bronze Adlib

2. - Top - End - #212
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    Depends on what you're counting - I've got 3 builds in the 'correct' format, and 3 in the Old format.

On that note, I'll also need an updated submission from Gwachitallemall and The Viscount.
    Done, let me know if it didn't work. This new table will take some getting used to, especially the side scrolling on my little computer.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Chairman, I have a question.

I've heard a rumor or five that double posting isn't possible in the new forum system. If that's the case, what should we do come the reveal? Have someone post a "reserved post" between your reveals?

4. - Top - End - #214

PirateWench

Tim thanks for the table input. It's making life a lot easier.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Orc in the Playground

They do unfortunately help clean and unify the entrants.
    Yeah, I understand and respect their necessity. I just chart by hand in a word document.

Here's something I'm working on right now, for example:
    Cloistered Cleric 1: d6, 6+skills, 0.5 BAB, 2/0/2 saves: Level 1 feat, human feat, flaw, flaw, trait, trait, simple weapons, light armor, lore, knowledge devotion, +2 domains
    Cloistered Cleric 2: d6, 6+ skills, 1 BAB, 3/0/3 saves,
    Cloistered Cleric 3: d6, 6+ skills, 1.5 BAB, 3/1/3 saves, Feat
    Crusader 1: d10, 4+ skills, 2.5 BAB, 5/1/3 saves, Attribute, martial weapons and all armor, furious counterstrike, steely resolve, and 5 (5/2) manoeuvres at IL 2.5.
    Warblade 1: d12, 4+ skills, 3.5 BAB, 7/1/3 saves, Battle Clarity (ref), weapon aptitude, 3 manouevers at IL 3.
    Ruby Knight Windicator 1: d8, 4+ skills, 4.5 BAB, 7/1/5 saves --- Feat, stance
    Ruby Knight Windicator 2: d8, 4+ skills, 5.5 BAB, 7/1/6 saves --- Divine Recovery, manouver known, IL5,
    Ruby Knight Windicator 3: d8, 4+ skills, 6.5 BAB, 8/2/6 saves --- Attribute
    Ruby Knight Windicator 4: d8, 4+ skills, 7.5 BAB, 8/2/7 saves --- Feat, manouver known, IL7
    Ruby Knight Windicator 5: d8, 4+ skills, 8.5 BAB, 8/2/7 saves --- Armored Stealth, +1 readied
    Ruby Knight Windicator 6: d8, 4+ skills, 9.5 BAB, 9/3/8 saves --- manouver known, IL9, +1 stance
    Ruby Knight Windicator 7: d8, 4+ skills, 10.5 BAB, 9/3/8 saves --- Feat, attribute, Divine Impetus
    Ruby Knight Windicator 8: d8, 4+ skills, 11.5 BAB, 9/3/9 saves --- manouver known, IL 11
    Ruby Knight Windicator 9: d8, 4+ skills, 12.5 BAB, 10/4/9 saves --- Divine Fury, +1 readied
    Ruby Knight Windicator 10: d8, 4+ skills, 13.5 BAB, 10/4/10 saves – Feat, manouver known, IL13

Apply 2 readied to Crusader, and you're up to 5 known, 7(4) readied.

I plan the loose build, fill out feats, tinker lots --- I usually don't do skills except to note if I can make prerequisites or not. (This build may or may not work; I'm obviously still finishing it).

It's sloppy-ish, but it's super quick.

And I'm usually pretty lazy.
    Last edited by Ikeren; 2014-04-01 at 12:11 AM.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Orc in the Playground

We're back!! Whoo-hoo!

Entry PMed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kazudo View Post
    Chairman, I have a question.

I've heard a rumor or five that double posting isn't possible in the new forum system. If that's the case, what should we do come the reveal? Have someone post a "reserved post" between your reveals?
    This is a test of the double-post rumor. This is only a test. If this were an actual double-post, well, then, your head would have exploded by now and you wouldn't have been able to finish reading this sentence.

- - - Updated - - -

(Third post starts here.)

Hmm, they just seem to stack up one after the other in one long post. That could make things difficult for posting the entries. Any thoughts or ideas from the Playground?

7. - Top - End - #217
    Orc in the Playground

Get another user to be online at the same time, interject short alphanumeric string posts.
    DM creates dummy account to post between his posts, or alternates with dummy account called Iron Chef DM LV.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Banned

Devil

Having an alternate account specifically for that purpose seems to be the most rational. However, it seems like there'd be a lot of effort gone into the whole Log In/Log Out/Log In/Log Out/Log In etc just to post. Is the post character limit still in place, even for "double posts"? Is there an Anchor tag? I think it's possible in HTML (which is why we can click to specific posts in any case), but I'm not sure if that is carried over into this forum's code.

In regards to competing, I have my idea, but I don't think I'm going to finish it, procrastination has killed it for me. I'll post up my idea after the reveal unless anyone else has said otherwise. And I'll judge as well, I think, time being forgiving.
    Last edited by Vaz; 2014-04-01 at 05:07 AM.

9. - Top - End - #219

RedKnightGirl

I have just made two double posts in the game I'm playing, so it appears to be time sensitive. Perhaps if we found out how long you have to wait to avoid the merging, this might offer a solution.
    Last edited by Taffimai; 2014-04-01 at 05:24 AM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    The cleric was walking through a forest when he heard a loud explosion. Upon investigation, he quickly uncovered the ruins of a large tower he couldn't remember seeing there before. He decided to search the rubble for anything worth looting. At that point, I told the wizard to start rolling to see if he would stabilise.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kazudo View Post
    OMG PONIES and Amphetryon judging in the same round again!?

*awkward young girl squee*
    Just remember that when I start slapping down scores.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeren View Post
    Get another user to be online at the same time, interject short alphanumeric string posts.
    DM creates dummy account to post between his posts, or alternates with dummy account called Iron Chef DM LV.
    Both of these ideas are in violation of forum rules, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffimai View Post
    I have just made two double posts in the game I'm playing, so it appears to be time sensitive. Perhaps if we found out how long you have to wait to avoid the merging, this might offer a solution.
    This sounds like the most viable, even though multi-posting is also a rules violation. The most rules-friendly way to post the reveal is for the Chairman to swap posts with an unbiased party as such: Chairman posts build 1, Helper posts build 2, and so forth. Granted, we've gone this many rounds with the Chairman multi-posting, so I don't know if that implies it's okay in limited practice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Character sent

12. - Top - End - #222

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    This sounds like the most viable, even though multi-posting is also a rules violation. The most rules-friendly way to post the reveal is for the Chairman to swap posts with an unbiased party as such: Chairman posts build 1, Helper posts build 2, and so forth. Granted, we've gone this many rounds with the Chairman multi-posting, so I don't know if that implies it's okay in limited practice.

I think we're given a pass on this because of the type of thread we have. That and nobody raises any complaints about it so there's nothing to draw attention to it when it happens.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

The anticipation, it is killing me.

Also, had I known that the reveal would be on April Fool's day, I would have scrambled to make my joke build a reality.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

14. - Top - End - #224

WolfInSheepsClothing

Alternatively, someone could always just post a "reserved post" between each entrant being posted, then remove all of his "reserved posts" after the reveal is over.

15. - Top - End - #225

Whew. I got my entry in.

Welcome back everyone and good luck!

16. - Top - End - #226

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Deadline View Post
    The anticipation, it is killing me.

Also, had I known that the reveal would be on April Fool's day, I would have scrambled to make my joke build a reality.
    I had a joke build started, but didn't get it done in time. Pity too, because I know Tim would have loved it.

17. - Top - End - #227

WolfInSheepsClothing

How odd would it be if everyone had the same idea for that joke build? I passed a bit of humorous witty banter back and forth with the Chairperson about a joke build shortly after the SI was announced. I wonder if it's the same? Worse to think yet, what if someone actually submitted the joke build we're all thinking of?

We'll see soon enough on this exciting episode of Dragonba-

er...

Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground!

EDIT: The problem's been solved. The post update feature has been disabled for now. Apparently problems galore.
    Last edited by Kazudo; 2014-04-01 at 10:46 AM.

18. - Top - End - #228

So I submitted an 11th hour build, since a bunch of people jumped in for judging and the # of confirmed competitors is low I figured I'd transfer over the entrant side of things. I think I got it in close enough to the deadline that it'll be okay.

Not sure about what I said, go back highlight it with your mouse and wham it's magically blue for sarcasm, so like everything on the internet take it with a grain of salt.

Show
    LVII Bronze Adlib

19. - Top - End - #229

Just testing the back-to-back post issue, there is only a 60-second wait between posts, so it'll take the Chairman 20-30 minutes to post builds.

EDIT: and it looks like we're in the clear with separate posts!
    Last edited by Tim Proctor; 2014-04-01 at 11:01 AM.

Show
    LVII Bronze Adlib

20. - Top - End - #230

WolfInSheepsClothing

The anticipation! It's growing! It builds!

Look! It's even grasped triangular building references and basic weight load capacity mathematics!

21. - Top - End - #231
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

As I missed the deadline, I'll be judging as well. (Never fluffed my build out, just had the old table and the new table is taking too long for me to understand.

22. - Top - End - #232

Quote Originally Posted by Gwachitallemall View Post
    As I missed the deadline, I'll be judging as well. (Never fluffed my build out, just had the old table and the new table is taking too long for me to understand.
    Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, I made a template (excel style) for people where it is really easy to update and change, IC Entrant Template, I hope that it helps people.

But I am glad that you're judging.

Show
    LVII Bronze Adlib

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

Sorry guys, waiting for confirmation of the double-posts (that, and I had to step away for a bit).

Please, refrain from posting until I give the all-clear. And away we go!

The Power of the Orient: A Wu Jen Handbook

Quote Originally Posted by Paul S. Kemp
    Frankly, I think the designers and novelists did great work in the post-Spellplague Realms. But, in the end, this wasn’t a new setting. It was the Realms, the Realms 100 years later, and therein lay the problem.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

Mystical Monkey Power? Why not?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Inscrutable Master Gau
    The Inscrutable Master Gau

Background
    Spoiler
    Show
    Master Gau's story began in the ancient ruins of Sinanju. Living in the shadow of the crumbling capitol city, the feral Brood Monkey descendents of the survivors of that long forgotten kingdom served as a dangerous deterrent to would-be thieves. Despite that, the fabled wealth of the ruins drew treasure hunters from all over. One such group, a crew of unsavory bandits known as the Band of the Red Hand, spent a great deal of time and effort pulling valuables from the ruins and selling them on the black market. During one of their forays, they were beset upon by Gau and his tribe. The fight was brief, and not in Gau's favor. Many of them were taken to be sold as slaves or "pets". Gau made numerous escape attempts, using trickery, brute force, and anything else that might give him an edge, but was always recaptured before he could break free. However, the Red Hand's leader, Arturo Porcuna, took a liking to Gau's savage cunning and relatively amoral outlook. And so over the course of many months Gau became a "mascot" for the Red Hand. Arturo took the time to teach Gau how to speak proper Common, showed him a few tricks of the trade, and eventually offered him a place as a member of the gang. Gau readily agreed. With his lethal training, his natural magical abilities, and his gift for lying, Gau proved to be a very productive member of the gang.

Eventually Gau began to consider alternative ways to a wealthy and comfortable life. With this thought in mind, Gau snuck away from the Red Hand camp in the middle of the night, after stealing as much as he could carry from Arturo's personal treasure cache. Gau left the bandits behind and began to pursue an alternate path to prosperity. Taking what you wanted by force or stealth was all well and good, but what if there was a way to get people to simply hand over their wealth to you? Gau decided to pursue this option, and created a magical disguise for himself, and began to spin the legend of The Inscrutable Master Gau, a wise warrior who wandered the land with his acolytes and helped those who could not help themselves, for a price. His first alter ego, Stone Fist, was a mighty gargoyle who had been training with "Master" Gau for quite some time, and was a skilled foe of the unjust. Gau would disguise himself as a traveller, enter a town, and spin a story about the Great Master Gau and his brave acolytes. With this story in place, Gau found it quite easy to find work in numerous villages and towns, fending off bandits and earning twice the reward (payment for his services, and payment for Stone Fist's services). But still, this was work. He was only being hired when there was a legitimate problem, or the fear of a problem (which quickly went away once he was hired, so his services were not retained for long). This was close to what he desired, but was not enough. So "Master" Gau hatched another plan, and created a new magical disguise for himself.

His new alter ego was that of Hidden Dragon, formerly "Master" Gau's finest apprentice, now fallen to banditry and murder. Gau used Hidden Dragon to drum up fear in a village prior to his arrival by stealing valuables, killing the occasional noble, and generally causing mayhem. Some towns would throw their wealth at him in the hopes that he could stop Hidden Dragon. In addition to this, Gau found that Hidden Dragon provided an additional benefit, he was sought out and hired on more than one occasion for an assassination. For a time, this setup worked very well. He would drum up fear and panic with Hidden Dragon, and hire out Stone Fist and himself to help deal with the problem. But Gau was not satisfied. Playing the part of Hidden Dragon was hard work, and dangerous. Not only that, but once he arrived in a village and was hired to deal with the problem, his time there was limited. He either had to deal with the problem, leaving the village no reason to continue paying him, or fail to deal with Hidden Dragon, resulting in no payment for failure. He needed to find a way to extend his stay in a village. He needed to find a way to scare a populace into paying protection money without exposing himself to danger all the time. And so "Master" Gau created his final magical disguise.

His last alter ego was that of Preying Mantis, one of "Master" Gau's brave warriors, and an individual dedicated to tracking down Hidden Dragon. Gau spread the tale across the countryside - Preying Mantis had vowed to face his master's fallen acolyte in single combat and determine which of them was truly Master Gau's greatest student. He was an incredibly skilled tracker (he could "find evidence" of Hidden Dragon's passing where the skilled hunters of a village could not), and he was always hot on the heels of Hidden Dragon. And so it was that Gau at last found what he was looking for. When Preying Mantis showed up in a town, it was a sure sign to the populace that Hidden Dragon was nearby, so they hired "Master" Gau's brave warriors to protect them. If Hidden Dragon didn't show up, it was because the village had hired protection. As long as Preying Mantis was around, the threat was always there, and so they kept paying. If a villager grew disillusioned and started grumbling about paying protection money, Hidden Dragon would conveniently be spotted in the surrounding area. In this way, Gau could make a decent living for quite some time in one place, and then "Master" Gau and his brave warriors would move to the next village or town and repeat the process.

And at long last, The Inscrutable Master Gau was happy.

Build
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Inscrutable Master Gau
    CN Brood Monkey Rogue 3/Mountebank 10/Swordsage 3

Level Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features
    4th Brood Monkey +2 +0 +3 +3 Hide 5, Listen 1, Spellcraft (1), Spot 1, Tumble 1 Alertness(B), Improved Unarmed Strike Flurry of blows, Spell-like Abilities: 3/day -- Cure Minor Wounds, Doom (DC 12); 1/day -- Cause Fear (DC 12), Cure Light Wounds, Shield of Faith. Caster level 2, Darkvision 120 ft., Immune to Enchantment, Low-light vision, +1 Natural Armor, Bite (1d3), +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can choose to take 10 on a Climb check even when rushed or threatened, +4 racial bonus on Balance, Jump, and Tumble checks.
    5th Rogue 1 +2 +0 +5 +3 Bluff 6, Spellcraft (2) Deceitful Sneak Attack +1d6, Mimic
    6th Rogue 2 +3 +0 +6 +3 Bluff 7, Knowledge(Local) 4, Move Silently 1, Spellcraft (3) Evasion
    7th Rogue 3 +4 +1 +6 +4 Bluff 8, Move Silently 5, Spellcraft (4), Use Magic Device 1 Sneak Attack +2d6, Penetrating Strike
    8th Mountebank 1 +4 +1 +8 +4 Bluff 8, Knowledge(Local) 5, Sleight of Hand 1, Spot 2, Tumble 2 Trickery Devotion Tongue of the Devil
    9th Mountebank 2 +5 +1 +9 +4 Bluff 9, Spellcraft 5, Spot 3, Tumble 3 Sneak Attack +1d6
    10th Mountebank 3 +6 +2 +9 +5 Bluff 10, Diplomacy 1, Sleight of Hand 2, Spot 4, Tumble 4 Alter Ego
    11th Mountebank 4 +7 +2 +10 +5 Bluff 11, Diplomacy 2, Sleight of Hand 3, Spot 5, Tumble 5 Weapon Finesse Sideslip 1/day
    12th Mountebank 5 +7 +2 +10 +5 Bluff 13, Diplomacy 5 Sneak Attack +2d6
    13th Mountebank 6 +8 +3 +11 +6 Bluff 14, Diplomacy 6, Sleight of Hand 4, Spot 6, Tumble 6 Alter Ego, Sideslip 2/day
    14th Mountebank 7 +9 +3 +11 +6 Bluff 15, Diplomacy 7, Listen 2, Spot 7, Tumble 7 Sun School Slippery Mind
    15th Mountebank 8 +10 +3 +12 +6 Bluff 16, Diplomacy 8, Listen 3, Spot 8, Tumble 8 Sideslip 3/day, Sneak Attack +3d6
    16th Mountebank 9 +10 +4 +12 +7 Bluff 17, Diplomacy 9, Listen 4, Spot 9, Tumble 9 Alter Ego
    17th Mountebank 10 +11 +4 +13 +7 Bluff 18, Diplomacy 10, Listen 5, Spot 10, Tumble 10 Snap Kick Sideslip 4/day, Sudden Escape
    18th Swordsage 1 +11 +4 +15 +9 Bluff (19), Hide 10 Quick to Act +1, Discipline Focus (Weapon Focus)
    19th Swordsage 2 +12 +4 +16 +10 Bluff (20), Move Silently 10 AC Bonus
    20th Swordsage 3 +13 +5 +16 +10 Bluff (21), Listen 10 Shadow Blade

Ability Scores
    Spoiler
    Show

Starting Ability Scores:
    Str - 12
    Dex - 18
    Con - 16
    Int - 10
    Wis - 16
    Cha - 12

Final Ability Scores:
    Str - 12
    Dex - 20 (+2 12th, 16th)
    Con - 16
    Int - 12 (+1 4th, +1 8th)
    Wis - 16
    Cha - 12

Maneuvers/Stances Known
    Spoiler
    Show

Maneuvers/Stances Known
    Stances: Assassin's Stance (3rd, Shadow Hand), Giant Killing Style (3rd, Setting Sun)
    Maneuvers (* indicates usual loadout): * Cloak of Deception (2nd, Shadow Hand), Comet Throw (4th, Setting Sun), * Counter Charge(1st, Setting Sun), Distracting Ember(1st, Desert Wind), * Leaping Flame (5th, Desert Wind), Shadow Jaunt (3rd, Shadow Hand), * Shadow Stride(5th, Shadow Hand), * Zephyr Dance (3rd, Desert Wind)

Level Breakpoints
    Spoiler
    Show

Level 5

Early on, Gau is naught but a cunning and savage little skirmisher. He's got a level of Rogue granting him several useful abilities, but he leverages his Sneak Attack and Mimic abilities the most. With Flurry of Blows, a natural bite attack, and a flanking position, he is capable of unleashing a solid amount of damage on a full attack. His spell-like abilities give him a little added versatility, and despite the Int penalty for his race, he's quite the skill monkey. His racial bonuses on Balance, Climb, Jump, and Tumble ensure that he's quite capable of getting around. His Darkvision, Low-light vision, and Alertness bonus feat coupled with his high wisdom make him a good scout. His Rogue Mimic feature coupled with his natural charisma, the Deceitful feat, and synergy from his great bluff skill allow him to pass as a variety of different creatures with little effort, allowing him to do a little infiltration. His natural immunity to Enchantment also means that he can never be charmed or dominated.

Level 10

At 10th level, things get interesting. By this point in his career, Master Gau has discovered that simple disguises and lies just aren't quite enough to get by. So he creates his first Alter Ego, Stone Fist (detailed below). Stone Fist is a battle form pure and simple. It grants him flight, good natural armor and strength, an impressive array of natural weapons to carry sneak attack damage, and some useful skill bonuses. In addition to the benefits of his new alter ego, Master Gau has picked up an array of offensive, defensive, and fun utility abilities. His sneak attack is now +3d6, meaning he can drop a potential 21d6 (7 attacks) of sneak attack damage on an enemy. That sneak attack is even useful against things normally immune to it, thanks to his Penetrating Strike class feature (which lets him apply half of it to things normally immune to it). On the defensive side, Master Gau has Evasion, Trickery Devotion, and a high bluff check (for use with Trickery Devotion). For utility, Master Gau has continued to enhance his Bluff skill (Tongue of the Devil now grants a small bonus to it), and has started to work on his Diplomacy and Sleight of Hand (both of which are kept useful through natural charisma, natural dex, and synergy bonuses). He still makes a reasonably effective scout, even more so as Stone Fist. Trickery Devotion needs to be mentioned under utility as well - assuming that the duplicate you make with Trickery Devotion looks just like you do when you make it, then it can be used to really sell the idea that Stone Fist and Master Gau are different people by allowing them to be seen together. Gau can create a duplicate of himself, then shift to his alter ego (or vice-versa) and have the two of them walk around together. Lastly, Master Gau has a rank in UMD, and a synergy bonus from Spellcraft that should be enough for him to activate the occasional scroll for added utility.

Alter Ego#1 - Stone Fist
    Spoiler
    Show

Master Gau's first Alter Ego is the mighty Stone Fist, a Gargoyle who is spiritually enlightened, but ferocious and relentless in his pursuit of justice. Stone Fist is the Alter Ego Master Gau uses when he is feeling generous towards his marks (Stone Fist often likes to help people for a much reduced fee), or when he needs to really fire up the populace of a village with righteous indignation. Stone Fist is a "Lawful Neutral" styled Alter Ego.

Benefits of Gargoyle form: Str 15, Dex 14, Con 18
    Size: Medium
    Movement: 40ft., Fly 60ft.
    Natural Armor: +4
    Natural Attacks: 2 Claws (1d4 each), Bite (1d6), Gore (1d6)
    Bonus Feats: None
    Skill Bonuses: +2 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, and Spot. +8 bonus on Hide checks when it is concealed against a background of stone.

Level 15

Master Gau now has a whole new bag of tricks. Seeing that his first Alter Ego wasn't always enough to make the con work, Master Gau creates Hidden Dragon (described below). Hidden Dragon is used as an instrument of terror. Through him, Master Gau can steal, silence naysayers, and finally give up having to actually fight bandits to earn his pay. Master Gau's martial arts "style" starts to really pick up steam at this point. Weapon Finesse ensures that more of his attacks hit thanks to his good Dex (and Hidden Dragon's good Dex). Master Gau now adds +5d6 of sneak attack to every strike. But the featured benefit at this point is two-fold: Master Gau's Sideslip ability (3/day at this point), and the Sun School tactical feat. Now, 3/day as an immediate action, Master Gau can teleport a short distance and punch someone. From a utility standpoint, Master Gau is still an excellent scout, and he now has a good Diplomacy skill to go with his already impressive Bluff skill. In the Hidden Dragon alter ego, the racial bonuses of the form grant him an even more impressive Bluff skill, and enough of a boost to make him a good sneak.

Alter Ego#2 - Hidden Dragon
    Spoiler
    Show

Master Gau's second Alter Ego is that of the stealthy and deadly Hidden Dragon. Hidden Dragon is a known scoundrel, thief, and assassin. For the right price, Hidden Dragon will steal any bauble you desire, uncover any secrets your foes wish to hide, or kill anyone who stands in the way of your rise to power. Hidden Dragon is known to be a former disciple of Master Gau. Sometimes, when he is far into his cups, Master Gau will lament that such a promising student of his could have fallen so far. Hidden Dragon is the Alter Ego Master Gau uses when he needs to convince a village to hire Master Gau's brave warriors "for protection". Hidden Dragon is a "Neutral Evil" styled Alter Ego.

Benefits of Greenspawn Sneak form: Str 11, Dex 16, Con 13
    Size: Small
    Movement: 30ft.
    Natural Armor: +3
    Natural Attacks: None
    Bonus Feats: Two Weapon Fighting
    Skill Bonuses: +5 racial bonus on Bluff, Hide, and Move Silently.

Level 20 - "Sweet Spot"

Growing tired of always using Hidden Dragon to actually stir up trouble to justify his pay, Master Gau hits on an even better plan. He now creates his third and final Alter Ego, Preying Mantis (detailed below). Preying Mantis acts as additional "muscle" to make people feel better about hiring Master Gau and his acolytes (3 heroes are better than 2!), but his primary function is to serve as a harbinger of ill tidings. Since he tirelessly stalks Hidden Dragon, if he shows up in your village, that is a sure sign that you need to hire Master Gau and his warriors before Hidden Dragon strikes. Master Gau is now an actually accomplished martial artist with the addition of his swordsage levels and some handy feats. Snap Kick grants him an additional attack to carry sneak attack damage, Assassin's Stance brings his sneak attack dice up to +7d6, and Shadow Blade gives him a damage boost by letting him add is solid Dex mod (all of his Alter Egos have good Dex) to his damage. Leaping Flame, Shadow Stride, and Sideslip give Master Gau plenty of opportunity to use his Sun School feat. Cloak of Deception and Distracting Ember give him more opportunities to get his Sneak Attack damage in. Weapon Focus and Quick to Act give him slight offensive boosts. Defensively, Counter Charge and Zephyr Dance give him a boost, and he can now add his impressive Wisdom modifier to his AC in addition to his Dex and light armor. As Preying Mantis, he's got fast movement, good natural armor, 5 additional attacks to carry Sneak Attack dice, and Deflect Arrows as a defensive measure. Master Gau's skills are also doing well. He's a consummate liar and smooth-talker, a good sneak, a good scout, a decent pickpocket, and can Tumble to reliably position himself on the battlefield. Lastly, Sudden Escape gives him a relatively long distance teleport in the even that he needs more than the short distances that Shadow Stride, Shadow Jaunt, and Sideslip give him (this has the nice side benefit of getting him out of jail should he ever wind up there).

Alter Ego#3 - Preying Mantis
    Spoiler
    Show

Master Gau's final Alter Ego is that of the nimble and fast Preying Mantis. Preying Mantis is an eternal wanderer who claims to seek universal truth. His skill in battle is "legendary", and he often speaks in puzzling riddles or koans. Preying Mantis relentlessly pursues Hidden Dragon, not in an effort to slay him, but in an effort to determine which of them is the greatest student of Master Gau. If Preying Mantis shows up in a village, it is likely that Hidden Dragon has either already been there, or will strike in the area soon. Any village that is visited by Preying Mantis would be well served to hire Master Gau and his brave warriors for protection before Hidden Dragon strikes. Preying Mantis is the Alter Ego Master Gau uses when he wants to try and scare a village into paying for protection without having to actually attack it with Hidden Dragon. Preying Mantis is a "True Neutral" styled Alter Ego.

Benefits of Thri-Kreen form: Str 12, Dex 15, Con 11
    Size: Medium
    Movement: 40ft.
    Natural Armor: +3
    Natural Attacks: 4 Claws (1d4 each), Bite (1d4)
    Bonus Feats: Deflect Arrows
    Skill Bonuses: +4 racial bonus on Hide checks in sandy or arid settings.

Sources
    Spoiler
    Show

Player's Handbook
    Dugeonscape (Penetrating Strike Alternate Class Feature - Replaces Trap Sense)
    Exemplars of Evil (Mimic Alternate Class Feature - Replaces Trapfinding)
    Online Web Enhancement (Brood Monkey race)
    Tome of Battle (Swordsage, Snap Kick, Shadow Blade)
    Complete Champion (Trickery Devotion)
    Complete Warrior (Sun School)
    Monster Manual (Gargoyle)
    Expanded Psionics Handbook (Thri-kreen)
    Monster Manual IV (Greenspawn Sneak)

Frankly, I think the designers and novelists did great work in the post-Spellplague Realms. But, in the end, this wasn’t a new setting. It was the Realms, the Realms 100 years later, and therein lay the problem.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

Crouching Monkey, Hidden Spellthief
    Quote Originally Posted by Li Chan
    Li Chan

CG, Vanara, Spellthief 5/Mountebank 10/Swordsage 1/Warblade 4

Background
    Spoiler
    Show

Background

Once there was a master of the staff ( must imagine this character is based on the monkey god from forbidden kingdom due to possible forum rules and copywrites this is the background)

Race: Vanara
    +2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, -2 Strength
    speed is 30 feet
    climb speed of 20 feet
    Low-light Vision
    +8 racial bonus on all Climb checks,
    +4 racial bonus on Balance and jump checks
    +2 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks
    Automatic Languages: Common and Vanara
    Bonus Languages: Giant, Sylvan

Alignment: CG

Abilities
    Spoiler
    Show

Abilities

32 point buy
    Str 16, Dex 14 Con 12 Int 14 Wis 10 Cha 12

L4 Con+1
    L8 Con+1
    L12 Str+1
    L16 Str+1
    L20 Wis+1

Build
    Spoiler
    Show
    Effective Character Levels

Level Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Reflex Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features
    1st Spellthief 0 0 0 2 bluff 4, Escape Artist 4, knowledge arcana 4, Listen 4, Move Silently 4, spellcraft 4, Spot 4, Tumble 4 Deceitful Sneak attack +1d6, steal spell (0 or 1st), trapfinding
    2nd Spellthief 1 0 0 3 bluff 5, Escape Artist 5, knowledge arcana 5, Listen 5, Move Silently 5, spellcraft 5, Spot 5, Tumble 5 - Detect magic, spellgrace +1, steal spell effect
    3rd Spellthief 2 1 1 3 bluff 6, Escape Artist 6, knowledge arcana 6, Listen 6, Move Silently 6, spellcraft 6, Spot 6, Tumble 6 Power Attack Steal spell, energy resistance 10
    4th Spellthief 3 1 1 4 bluff 7, Escape Artist 7, knowledge arcana 7, Listen 7, Move Silently 7, spellcraft 7, Spot 7, Tumble 7 - Steal spell (2nd)
    5th Spellthief 3 1 1 4 bluff 8, Escape Artist 8, knowledge arcana 8, Listen 8, Move Silently 8, spellcraft 8, Spot 8, Tumble 8 - Sneak attack +2d6, steal spell-like ability
    6th Mountebank 3 1 3 4 bluff 9, knowledge arcana 9, Listen 9, spellcraft 9, Spot 9, Tumble 9 Blind-Fight tongue of the devil
    7th Mountebank 4 1 4 4 bluff 10, knowledge arcana 10, Listen 10, spellcraft 10, Spot 10, Tumble 10 - sneak attack 1d6
    8th Mountebank 5 2 4 5 bluff 11, Intimidate 2, Listen 11, Spot 11, Tumble 11 - alter ego*
    9th Mountebank 6 2 5 5 bluff 12, Intimidate 4, Listen 12, Spot 12, Tumble 12 Improved Sunder sideslip 1/day
    10th Mountebank 6 2 5 5 bluff 13, Intimidate 6, Listen 13, Spot 13, Tumble 13 - sneak attack 2d6
    11th Mountebank 7 3 6 6 bluff 14, Intimidate 8, Listen 14, Spot 14, Tumble 14 - alter ego, sideslip 2/day
    12th Mountebank 8 3 6 6 bluff 15, Intimidate 10, Listen 15, Spot 15, Tumble 15 Combat Brute slippery mind
    13th Mountebank 9 3 7 6 bluff 16, Intimidate 12, Listen 16, Spot 16, Tumble 16 - sideslip 3/day, sneak attack 3d6
    14th Mountebank 9 4 7 7 bluff 17, Intimidate 14, Listen 17, Spot 17, Tumble 17 - alter ego
    15th Mountebank 10 4 8 7 bluff 18, Intimidate 16, Listen 18, Spot 18, Tumble 18 Improved Bull Rush sideslip 4/day, sudden escape
    16th Swordsage 10 4 10 9 bluff 19, Intimidate 19, Listen 19, Move Silently 9, Spot 19, Tumble 19 - Quick to act +1, discipline focus<setting sun> (Weapon Focus - quarter/bo staff)
    17th Warblade 11 6 10 9 Intimidate 20, Tumble 20, bluff 20cc, Move Silently 10cc - Battle clarity (Reflex saves), weapon aptitude
    18th Warblade 12 7 10 9 Intimidate 21, Tumble 21, bluff 21cc, Spot 20cc Shock Trooper Uncanny dodge
    19th Warblade 13 7 11 10 Intimidate 22, Tumble 22, bluff 22cc, Spot 21cc - Battle ardor (critical confirmation)
    20th Warblade 14 8 11 10 Intimidate 23, Tumble 23, bluff 23cc, Spot 22cc - -

Spells per Day
    Spoiler
    Show

Spellsper Day
    Level 0lvl 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th
    1st - - - - - - - -

Spells & Powers Prepared/Memorized
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells & Powers Prepared/Memorized

1st 2* provided spellthief has cha bonus
    Fist of Stone
    Weapon Shift

Maneuvers Known
    Spoiler
    Show

Maneuvers Known
    Initiator Level =12th, Maneuver Level=6th
    Sword Sage mk6 mr4 sk1
    Setting Sun

Mighty Throw
    Clever Positioning
    Devastating Throw
    Strike of the Broken Shield

Giant Killing Style: Stance

Warblade mk5 mr4 sk2
    Iron Heart

Disarming Strike
    Iron Heart Surge
    Mithral Tornado

Punishing Stance
    Absolute Steel Stance

Sources
    Spoiler
    Show

Sources
    (OA 15)
    (Cadv 13)
    (Cscnd 57)
    (tob 16, 20)

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

Buffy the VampireIllithid Slayer
    Quote Originally Posted by Eelis
    The Build
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Build: CG Elan Paladin of Freedom 3/Ranger 1/Slayer 6/Mountebank 10
    Level Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features
    1st Paladin of Freedom 1 +1 +2 +0 +0 Bluff +4, Spellcraft +1, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +1, Knowledge (Psionics) +2, Disguise +1, Forgery +1 Deceitful Aura of good, detect evil, smite evil 1/day, Elan Racial Traits
    2nd Paladin of Freedom 2 +2 +3 +0 +0 Bluff +5, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +2, Handle Animal +1 Divine Grace, Lay on Hands
    3rd Paladin of Freedom 3 +3 +4 +1 +1 Bluff +6, Spellcraft +2, Handle Animal +2 Combat Expertise Aura of Resolve, Divine Health
    4th Ranger 1 +4 +6 +3 +2 Bluff +7, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +4, Knowledge (Psionic) +3, Spellcraft +3 (Bonus) Track Favored Enemy (Aberration), Wild Empathy
    5th Slayer 1 +5 +6 +3 +3 Bluff +8, Knowledge (Psionic) +4, Spellcraft +4 Favored enemy +2 (Illithid), Enemy Sense
    6th Mountebank 1 +5 +6 +5 +3 Bluff +9, Spot +5 Improved Feint Tongue of the Devil
    7th Mountebank 2 +6 +6 +6 +3 Bluff +10, Spot +10 Sneak Attack +1d6
    8th Mountebank 3 +7 +7 +6 +4 Bluff +11, Concenration +5 Alter Ego 1
    9th Slayer 2 +8 +7 +6 +5 Bluff +12, Concentration +10 Deft Strike Brain Nausea
    10th Slayer 3 +9 +8 +7 +5 Bluff +13, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +7, Spot +11, Concentration +11 Lucid Buffer
    11th Slayer 4 +10 +8 +7 +6 Bluff +14, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +10, Spot +12, Concentration +12 Favored Enemy +4 (Illithid)
    12th Mountebank 4 +11 +8 +8 +6 Bluff +15, Spot +15, Concentration +14 Improved Unarmed Strike Sideslip 1/day
    13th Mountebank 5 +11 +8 +8 +6 Bluff +16, Spot +16, Concentration +16, Intimidate +2 Sneak Attack +2d
    14th Mountebank 6 +12 +8 +8 +7 Bluff +17, Intimidate +7 Alter Ego 2, Sideslip 2/day
    15th Slayer 5 +13 +8 +8 +7 Bluff +18, Concentration +18, Spot +18, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +11 Improved Grapple
    16th Slayer 6 +14 +9 +9 +8 Bluff +19, Intimidate +9, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +12 Cerebral Blind
    17th Mountebank 7 +15 +9 +9 +8 Bluff +20, Concentration +20, Spot +20, Intimidate +10 Slippery Mind
    18th Mountebank 8 +16 +9 +10 +8 Bluff +21, Concentration +21, Spot +21, Intimidate +13 Scorpions Grasp Sideslip 3/day, Sneak Attack +3d6
    19th Mountebank 9 +16 +10 +10 +9 Bluff +22, Concentration +22, Spot +22, Intimidate +16 Alter Ego 3
    20th Mountebank 10 +17 +10 +11 +9 Bluff +23, Concentration +23, Spot +23, Intimidate +19 Sideslip 4/day, Sudden Escape

Ability Scores
    Spoiler
    Show
    Abilities: Str 16(20) Dex 10 Con 12 Int 14 Wis 12 Cha 15(16) (Level 20 ability scores in parentheses)
    Level 4: +1 Charisma
    Level 8: +1 Strength
    Level 12: +1 Strength
    Level 16: +1 Strength
    Level 20: +1 Strength

Background
    Spoiler
    Show

Eelis awoke to find herself in a strange place. Her memory was foggy, she couldnt remember anything from her previous life. She knew only one thing: she was different. Without much to go on, she began to ask wander the lands, broke and starving, until she was taken in by a local church dedicated to Trithereon. She pledged her loyalty to the church in return for them caring for her, and began her service in His name. Of the many things she learned from the clergy, one fact remained utmost in her mind: Slavery is wrong. She dedicated her life to eradicating those who would seek to enslave others. Eelis spent many years training herself to live up to the standards put forth to her by Trithereon, but felt that she would be better put to use hunting the slavers where they lived.
    Not far from where her church was located, a small cave opened into the mountains. Many of the local townspeople feared the cave, and adventurers who went in never returned. The church organized a group to adventure into the cave to determine if there were foul forces at play. Eelis joined the expedition in an effort to free the people from the fears that haunted them. Not long after the expedition began, the adventuring group ran into strange forces. In addition to the normal beasts that dotted the cavernous expanses, old adventurers who had once been lost to the cave were now protecting the cave mindlessly and attacking intruders. The group chose to capture one of the adventurers in an effort to determine what was wrong with them. The clergy determined later that the man had been enslaved to a foul beast that dwelled within the cave.
    Further expeditions into the cave saw more and more losses as they tried to determine what the creature was that kept men under its sway. After many months a final congregation was held to rally a large party to enter the cave and eradicate the beast. Eelis and many others were sent into the cave with supplies and a simple set of instructions: identify and destroy the creature. After many days scouring the expanse, the party found a large opening with a twisted, tentacled creature seated on a protrusion; a man was kneeling before the creature and much to the parties dismay, the beast had wrapped tentacles around the man's head. In a moment, the party was on it. Upon realizing what was happening the creature dropped the man before him, allowing the party to see that his brain was still leaking out of the orifices.
    The party had no chance; they were quickly beset against each other, obviously the beast's doing. During the fight, one of the clergy instructed the group to fall back. Satisfied that it had routed the party, the creature, which Eelis found out was called an "Illithid," also fell back - with a few of the original party in tow. The party decided that in order to slay the beast, they needed a more capable force. Eelis had lost many friends that day, and with that she vowed Trithereon's holy retribution against the Illithid.
    The church sent word to a nearby noble for help to defeat the beast. While they awaited word, Eelis set about to study as much about this aberration some called a "Mind Flayer." She soon learned that they practice an abhorrent form of mental slavery, and eat the brains of some of their victims. Eelis could see no way she could allow them to maintain a hold in a world where she lived. Once the noble had sent word of a heroic group that he had established to slay the beast, Eelis decided to follow them to its lair. The heroes assembled by the noble had no problems dispatching the cave's protectors, and were quick to discover the Illithid resting amongst its ill-gotten gains with another of its foul kind. Eelis burst from behind the group to call down righteous fury upon the beasts.
    The heroic group's stealthy rogue turned on the party in a instance, and Eelis received a strange suggestion from the Illithid: "Protect me." Knowing that they often dominate minds, Eelis feigned to fall for this trickery quickly rushing to the sides of the Illithids and taking a defensive posture. Satisfied that she had been commanded, she saw them malign the party one by one. Just when all looked bleak, Eelis stabbed out at the Illithids from behind with her sharp spear penetrating one that had been riddled by more than one arrow from the archer in the group. She felled the beast, and quickly turned the tides in favor of the party.
    The feeling that Eelis felt after having freed so many from the grasp of these unearthly creatures led her to understand that this was Trithereon's mission for her. She soon found a passageway in the back of the cave that led to a deeper darker area of the world. She spent days, weeks, months down there, maintaining herself on her psychic energies alone. She studied what she saw. She noted that the Illithids she did come across had no fear of the lesser aberrant beings in the caves. After some time alone with no one to talk to, she developed her own alter ego. One she could converse with to keep her company. It would tell her to do things she would not normally do. This personality she created was Flax. And she liked him.
    Not long after Flax had appeared in her mind, he began instructing her to strike out at the creatures when they were solitary or straggling behind. She noted that Flax's personality seemed to resemble the chokers she had seen in the depths. Soon Eelis began to manifest a body for Flax to control. SHe twisted herself, and using only her mind she created a new form for Flax to use to strike down the beasts. Flax, much like Eelis herself, was none too fond of the Illithids that roamed the underdark. Too long they had made slaves of his kind as well. Eelis and Flax were unlikely friends in the dark depths.
    After years roaming down below the surface, Eelis felt a pang she hadn't felt for a very long time: Hunger. Eelis was able to maintain herself using just her mind and her willpower, so hunger was almost completely foreign to her. The hunger grew over the course of many months, and soon she found the hunger began to speak to her. The hunger would tell her that she needed to eat; that she needed to feed it. The hunger had a name, and it was Glubdrub.
    It was never full. It was never satisfied. It hungered for the Illithids. Eelis took solace that it had similar goals and motivations as her, never once contemplating the possibility that it could be part of her own fractured mind established by her loneliness in doing Trithereon's work. Eelis's mind allowed her to give Glubdrub a form. She gave him the form of one of the beasts she felt exemplified his inslakable thirst: the Gibbering Mouther. It's many mouths almost perfectly reminiscent of their gluttony.
    Shortly after meeting Glubdrub, Eelis found a small group of intelligent creatures that had been spending motnhs narrowly escaping the Illithids, while hunting them all the same. They were an ettercap couple. Eelis followed them and watched as they would lay elaborate traps and hide within the webs of their arachnid pets. Once the traps were sprung, the couple would send their pets to attack the creatures. Eelis watched in amazement as the illithids were skewered by one of their more voracious pets, a harpoon spider that Eelis believed they called "Strafe." It would grab the creatures and reel them in like a fish on a line, then toss their bodies onto its spiny back. After a few weeks watching the creatures, Eelis witnessed their pets slaughtered and the couple enslaved by a mighty Illithid.
    Eelis's sadness was thereafter consoled by a small voice in her head. The voice instructed her to hunt down the Illithids that had enslaved those poor creatures trying to make a living. The voice told Eelis it was the spirit of their slain pet, and she must help it avenge their master. She quickly took up the banner of Tritheroen to repay the mighty Illithid for its injustice. She hunted the Illithid to a place where it rested, following it for days until the moment was right. Using her force of will, she allowed Strafe's form to manifest in her own body; Strafe was quick to reel the creature into its awaiting maws and free the ettercaps from their dominator. Not wanting to fall back into the servitude it once was in, Strafe released the ettercaps and chose not to follow them back to where they came from.
    Eelis still ives in the depths. Hunting the slavers with her friends.

Alter Egos
    Spoiler
    Show

Alter Ego Name Creature Type Bonuses From Form Personality
    Alter Ego 1 Flax Choker Small Size, Speed 30, Climb 15, +4 Natural Armor, 10ft reach on 2 tentacles (1d3), Improved Grab, Constrict, +4 on Grapple, Improved initiative bonus feat Flax is impulsive, and a little too forward at times. He tends to eschew stealth, and is Eelis's primary form for exploring the Underdark in search of Illithids.
    Alter Ego 2 Glubdrub Gibbering Mouther Medium Size, Speed 10, Swim 20, +8 Natural Aromr, 6 Bites (1d4), Amorphous, Improved Grab, Swallow Whole, Blood Drain Glubdrub is representative of Eelis's hate of the Illithids with an untamed hunger for them. It becomes insatiable when it smells the blood of Illithids.
    Alter Ego 3 Strafe Harpoon Spider Large Size, Speed 40, Climb 20, +3 Natural Armor, Bite (1d8), 2 Fangs (1d4 + Harpooning), Harpooning, Spines, Web Movement, Improved Trip feat Strafe is a hunter. She enjoys hunting her foes and reeling them in before letting Glubdrub take care of them.

Level Breakdowns
    Spoiler
    Show

Levels 1-5: In early levels, Eelis will use her strength and high hit dice to be a front line fighter, preferring to fight with her deity's favored weapon: the longspear. Her Aura of Resolve is necessary as she has a low Will save. Her Lay on Hands coupled with her Elan racial abilities should help her mitigate some damage in the front ranks. She prefers to fight with her combat expertise, offset by her strength and full BAB. At this point she has a decent ability to bluff aberrations (between her ranks, charisma, ranger and slayer bonuses, she has a +13 vs aberrations and +15 vs. Illithids at level 5) which will help her feign having been dominated for infiltration purposes. She can achieve rather high saves coupling her divine grace and her Elan Racial ability to boost saves for a short time. She will always prefer to feign having been dominated or
    controlled by her enemies should they employ those tactics so as to gain the upper hand when she turns on them.

Levels 6-10: This is where it gets fun. Eelis picks up another bonus to our bluff here as well as Improved Feint for a total of +18 to feint at lvl 10 (+20 vs. aberration, +22 vs. Illithids). Additionally, she utilises the SI's sneak attack to net us the Deft Strike feat for hitting foes that are far more armored than she is. Her tactics now change a little to using feints and attacking with combat expertise. Couple this with Deft Strike to make any foe strike-able. She also picks up her first Alter Ego. She can now change focus on grappling and constricting foes in addition to her normal combat tactics. Her first alter ego form gives her better AC through it's small size and natural armor as well as improved initiative (which she needs at this point). In addition, she picks up the Slayer's Lucid Buffer to help with non-compulsion mind-affecting Will saves.

Levels 11-16: At 16 is where I feel Eelis hits her sweet spot. Eelis now has become a feint and grapple machine in combat. Her second alter ego comes online with swallow whole for creatures up to medium size (most Illithids included). To make up for the fact that her second alter ego has some serious mobility problems, she invests in Concentration. Her tactics now change to her using her Choker form to initiate the grapple, and then she will use her ability to change her form at will to change while grappling with the creature (depending on how the text is interpreted, she may have to first change to original form and then can change into her second alter ego, but it shouldnt be too much of an issue). In addition, she can utilize her sideslip ability to appear next to a foe and begin munching down, allowing for a quick take-down. Feinting remains the first action in most combat rounds against individual foes as it allows her to make foes a little more susceptible to her grab attacks. From Slayer, she picks up a little more effectiveness against Illithids as well as the Cerebral Blind ability, which makes her virtually un-findable by her foes should they choose to try to locate her magically or psionically, which will help her in infiltrating or escaping.

Levels 17-20: Eelis rounds out her tactics, by adding a virtual grab ability to her normal form through scorpion's grasp. In addition, she picks up her largest alter ego. As a harpoon spider, she can harpoon enemies, reel them in and change forms to start the grappling process. The addition of Slippery mind benefits Eelis by giving her necessary defense against a variety of mind-affecting statuses that are not compulsions. In emergency events, she can use her Sudden escape ability to disappear from the scene an remain untrackable via magic or psionics. All this is in addition to the fact that she maintains the high BAB she needs to remain effective in combat.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sources:
    SRD: Paladin of Freedom variant (Also, UA), Choker (Also MM), Gibbering Mouther (Also MM), Slayer (Also HPH), Elan (Also XPH)
    MM3: Harpoon Spider
    Complete Adventurer: Deft Strike Feat
    Sandstorm: Scorpion's Grasp Feat
    Last edited by Kuulvheysoon; 2014-04-01 at 02:27 PM.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

Well, at least he doesn't have a cheesy catch phrase. *coughcough* Bond *coughcough*
    Quote Originally Posted by Unnamed
    No, he doesn't have a name. At least, not one you'd ever heard of.

The unnamed assassin

32 point buy: Str: 10, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 10.
    Human Rogue2/Fighter2/Swordsage1/Chameleon7/Mountebank8

Hit dice: 6+9d6+8d8+2d10 = 6+31.5+36+11 = 84.5, ~10 lower than straight d8, ~10 higher than straight d6.

Spoiler: Chart
    Show

You probably saw this coming
    1st Rogue 1 +0 +0 +2 +0 Sense Motive +4, Spellcraft +2, Bluff +4, Disguise +4, Knowledge Arcana +2, Hide +4, Move Silently +4, Use magic device +4, search +4, disable device +4, open lock +4 Able Learner, Deceptive Trapfinding, Sneak Attack +1d6
    2nd Rogue 2 +1 +0 +3 +0 Sense Motive +4, Spellcraft +2, Bluff +5, Disguise +5, Knowledge Arcana +2, Hide +5, Move Silently +5, Use magic device +5, search +5, disable device +5, open lock +5, Craft magical tattoo +2 No Feats Evasion
    3rd Fighter 1 +2 +2 +3 +0 Sense Motive +4, Spellcraft +3, Bluff +6, Disguise +6, Knowledge Arcana +3, Hide +5, Move Silently +5, Use magic device +5, search +5, disable device +5, open lock +5, Craft magical tattoo +2 Weapon Finesse, Darkstalker (LoMpg179) Armored Mage (Cmpg32)
    4th Fighter 2 +3 +3 +3 +0 Sense Motive +4, Spellcraft +3, Bluff +7, Disguise +7, Knowledge Arcana +3, Hide +6, Move Silently +5, Use magic device +5, search +5, disable device +5, open lock +5, Craft magical tattoo +3 Two Weapon Fighting Attribute
    5th Swordsage 1 +3 +3 +5 +2 Sense Motive +4, Spellcraft +4, Bluff +8, Disguise +8, Knowledge Arcana +4, Hide +6, Move Silently +6, Use magic device +8, search +5, disable device +5, open lock +5, Craft magical tattoo +3 Feats Quick to Act +1, Discipline Focus (Weapon Focus: Shadow Hand), Manoeuvres known: 6, IL 3: Shadow Jaunt, Rabid Wolf Strike, Fire Riposte, Flashing Sun, Cloak of Deception, Distracting Ember, 4 Readied, which are usually Distracting Ember, Flashing Sun, Cloak of Deception and Shadow Jaunt. Stance Known: Child of Shadow
    6th Chameleon 1 +3 +3 +5 +2 Sense Motive +4, Spellcraft +4, Bluff +9, Disguise +9, Knowledge Arcana +4, Hide +8, Move Silently +7, Use magic device +9, search +5, disable device +5, open lock +5, Craft magical tattoo +3 Extend Spell Aptitude Focus 1/day (+2)
    7th Chameleon 2 +4 +3 +5 +2 Bluff +10, Disguise +10, Hide +10, Move Silently +8, Use magic device +10, Sense Motive +4, Spellcraft +4, Knowledge Arcana +4, , search +5, disable device +5, open lock +5, Craft magical tattoo +3 Chameleon Floating Feat Chameleon Floating Feat
    8th Chameleon 3 +5 +4 +6 +3 Bluff +11, Disguise +11, Hide +11, Move Silently +10, Use magic device +11, Sense Motive +4, Spellcraft +4, Knowledge Arcana +4, , search +5, disable device +5, open lock +5, Craft magical tattoo +3 No Feat Mimic class feature 1/day, Attribute
    9th Chameleon 4 +6/+1 +4 +6 +3 Bluff +12, Disguise +12, Hide +12, Move Silently +12, Use magic device +12, Sense Motive +4, Spellcraft +4, Knowledge Arcana +4, search +5, disable device +5, open lock +5, Craft magical tattoo +3 Persistent Spell (Complete Arcane pg..62?) Ability Boon +2
    10th Chameleon 5 +6/+1 +4 +6 +3 Bluff +13, Disguise +13, Hide +13, Move Silently +13, Use magic device +13, Sense Motive +4, Spellcraft +4, Knowledge Arcana +4, search +5, disable device +5, open lock +5, Craft magical tattoo +4 No Feat Aptitude Focus 2/day (+4)
    11th Chameleon 6 +7/+2 +5 +7 +4 Bluff +14, Disguise +14, Hide +14, Move Silently +14, Use magic device +14, Sense Motive +4, Spellcraft +4, Knowledge Arcana +4, search +5, disable device +5, open lock +5, Craft magical tattoo +5 No Feat Mimic class feature 2/day
    12th Chameleon 7 +8/+3 +5 +7 +4 Bluff +15, Disguise +15, Hide +15, Move Silently +15, Use magic device +15, Sense Motive +4, Spellcraft +4, Knowledge Arcana +4, search +5, disable device +5, open lock +5, Craft magical tattoo +6 Staggering Strike (Complete Aventurer) Ability Boon +4, Double Aptitude, Attribute
    13th Mountebank 1 +8/+3 +5 +9 +4 Bluff +16, Disguise +16, Hide +16, Move Silently +16, Use magic device +16, Sense Motive +4, Spellcraft +4, Knowledge Arcana +4, search +5, disable device +5, open lock +5, Craft magical tattoo +7 No Feat Tongue of the Devil
    14th Mountebank 2 +9/+4 +5 +10 +4 Bluff +17, Disguise +17, Hide +17, Move Silently +17, Use magic device +17, Sense Motive +4, Spellcraft +4, Knowledge Arcana +4, search +5, disable device +5, open lock +5, Craft magical tattoo +8 No Feat Sneak Attack +2d6
    15th Mountebank 3 +10/+5 +6 +10 +5 Bluff +18, Disguise +18, Hide +18, Move Silently +18, Use magic device +18, Sense Motive +4, Spellcraft +4, Knowledge Arcana +4, search +5, disable device +5, open lock +5, Craft magical tattoo +9 Martial Stance: Assassin's Stance (Sneak Attack 4d6) Alter Ego 1
    16th Mountebank 4 +11/+6/+1 +6 +11 +5 Bluff +19, Disguise +19, Hide +19, Move Silently +19, Use magic device +19, Sense Motive +4, Spellcraft +4, Knowledge Arcana +4, search +5, disable device +5, open lock +5, Craft magical tattoo +10 No Feat Sideslip 1/day, Attribute
    17th Mountebank 5 +11/+6/+1 +6 +11 +5 Bluff +20, Disguise +20, Hide +20, Move Silently +20, Use magic device +20, Sense Motive +4, Spellcraft +5, Knowledge Arcana +4, search +5, disable device +5, open lock +5, Craft magical tattoo +10 No Feat Sneak Attack +5d6
    18th Mountebank 6 +12/+7/+2 +7 +12 +6 Bluff +21, Disguise +21, Hide +21, Move Silently +21, Use magic device +21, Sense Motive +5, Spellcraft +5, Knowledge Arcana +4, search +5, disable device +5, open lock +5, Craft magical tattoo +10 Improved Two Weapon Fighting Alter Ego 2, Sideslip 2/day
    19th Mountebank 7 +13/+8/+3 +7 +12 +6 Bluff +22, Disguise +22, Hide +22, Move Silently +22, Use magic device +22, Sense Motive +5, Spellcraft +5, Knowledge Arcana +5, search +5, disable device +5, open lock +5, Craft magical tattoo +10 No Feat Slippery Mind
    20th Mountebank 8 +14/+9/+4 +7 +13 +6 Bluff +23, Disguise +23, Hide +23, Move Silently +23, Use magic device +23, Sense Motive +5, Spellcraft +5, Knowledge Arcana +5, search +5, disable device +5, open lock +5, Craft magical tattoo +10, ]24 free skill points --- I forgot to allocate humans, and there is 1 extra here after making all secondary skills +5. Probably a mix of the trap finding skills is best No Feat Sideslip 3/day, Sneak Attack +6d6

Spells per day/Spells Known
    Spells per Day/Spells Known
    Level 0lvl 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th
    1st - - - - - - - - - -
    2nd - - - - - - - - - -
    3rd - - - - - - - - - -
    4th - - - - - - - - - -
    5th - - - - - - - - - -
    6th 4 2 0 - - - - - - -
    7th 4 3 1 - - - - - - -
    8th 4 3 2 0 - - - - - -
    9th 4 4 3 1 - - - - - -
    10th 4 4 3 2 0 - - - - -
    11th 4 4 4 3 1 - - - - -
    12th 4 4 4 4 2 0 - - - -
    13th - - - - - - - - - -
    14th - - - - - - - - - -
    15th - - - - - - - - - -
    16th - - - - - - - - - -
    17th - - - - - - - - - -
    18th - - - - - - - - - -
    19th - - - - - - - - - -
    20th - - - - - - - - - -

Breakpoints and some flavour text.
    Spoiler: 1st and 5th level
    Show

You know, the streets really aren't so bad. People here are so damn gullible. I really should learn to fight a little better, though. And maybe hide a little better.
    Level 1: You're a rogue with meh feat selection.

I've gotten better at hiding, these days. And a friend of mines teaching me to fight with two blades. Nobody finds me, when I don't want them to.
    Level 5: With Darkstalker, you can hide from basically anything. With the swordsage dip, combat round one you can open up with move and distracting ember for sneak attack bonus, and drop a rabid wolf strike on top of that for 3d6 bonus damage. Your flashing sun full attack with two weapon fighting provides 3 attacks (at -4), so you probably want to use cloak of deception, both to ensure sneak attack, and to boost your attack bonus. If you're having movement trouble, a couple cheap chronocharms of the horizonwalker (500gp a piece) can help, letting you move half your speed as a move action.

Spoiler: 10th level
    Show

Not only can I fight and hide with the best of them, I can change my shape and and cast, too. Is there anything I can't do? The gods themselves shall tremble before my might! *cough, cough*

Level 10: Hopefully that was a slightly unexpected twist. Going Chameleon is a little obvious --- the skill requirements are basically identical, with Chameleon requiring a bit of Disguise and Sense Motive, and Mountebank requiring a bit of Knowledge Arcana. Going the DMM persist route on your floating feat offers a lot of oomph to this build: with a +2 charisma item (4000gp), a single, non-stacking nightstick (7500gp) and a single, non-stacking reliquary holy symbol (1000gp), you have 10 shots of turn undead, which is good for your first persist. Boosting charisma or getting another nightstick to bring you to the 14 turn (and thus 2 persist) breakpoint is an eventual goal. You can throw out Divine Power for a persist from a 3rd level spot (thanks Runescarred Berserker). A second persist can be hunters eye, for a beautiful +3d6 sneak attack. The aptitude focus 2/day lets you bring out a cleric aptitude, buff up (10 hour magic vestement? Throw out some needed cures?), and then pick up your choice of fighter aptitude (+4 attack/damage/fort save) or a wizard aptitude for casting or more buff and bash. The options here are substantial, as you'd expect --- especially when you look at non-cleric/wizard spell books. This is a good level for the build. You can cast your 3rd level arcane spells without failure, too; but you need to do something about the 4th and 5th level spells; either mithril breastplate, or take armor off, or go without.

Spoiler: 15th level
    Show

Better at fighting, better at hiding, and better at slipping away into the shadows.
    Level 15: With Staggering Strike, Assassin's Stance, some Mountebank Levels, and two uses of mimic class feature, you can mimic a turning pool, blow it (CL14 Chameleon = +4d6 sneak attack from hunters eye), then switch to the sneak attack s feature for 2d6 more sneak attack, all with full BAB, all day long. Your Flashing Sun full attack is 15 BAB + Dex (Probably in the range of +6-8, this is where level ups go) + Weapon Bonus (5, Greater magic weapon)+ Weapon Focus + whatever = 5 attacks starting at around +20-+25, with 10d6 sneak attack already. And each hit requires a fortitude save, ensuring that the creature you're fighting will be staggered.

The joke here is that you don't actually have to rely on stealth. You can walk up and mow through almost any single combatant, with a fair bit of magic to back you up. When it comes to getting out, you have three separate sources of short range teleport (Dimension Door is 2nd level on the Trapsmith List, of course, Shadow Jaunt, and the Mountebank Sideslip), as well as two sources of invisibility (Cloak of Deception and the spell), and the skills necessary to hide and the Darkstalker feat as well. You can walk up, beat someone as long as you like, and then vanish; teleporting, going invis, or hiding.

Ten seconds later, you look completely like someone else --- you have access to the actual spell Alter Self, as well of, of course, your first Alter Ego.

All the builds major tricks are online here. The continuation of mountebank just brings up the numbers of uses of various tricks, increasing sneak attack dice, and giving you slippery mind.

Spoiler: 20th Level
    Show

I am a god! Ahahahahahaha
    Level 20:
    BAB 20 from persisted divine Power, dex 16+6 dex item +5 dex levels + 4 dex ability focus = 31 dex (+10 bonus, +11 with a +1 tome) + 5 Greater magic weapon +1 weapon focus = +37 attack, and there are probably a bunch of other spells and things I'm missing. With flashing sun, and Improved Two Weapon Fighting, the attack pattern is
    +33/+33/+33, +28, +28, +23, +18 --- throw a haste on there for another attack at the highest bonus

With persisted hunters eye and chameleon sneak attack, the total sneak attack is 14d6, beating a traditional rogue out --- not something you'd ever really expect from a Mountebank. 6-8 attacks per round with an average of 50 precision damage each (on top of whatever else you can pull out of 5th and lower level spells from any list you like, and the ability to use any item crafting feat you want during downtime thanks to Chameleon's floating feat), and you should have no trouble when it comes to beat downs.

When it comes to stealth and mobility, you've got that covered, too. And secondary casting as well. Grab Glibness off the Bard list and lie like a champ. You can natively use the immunity piercing golem/grave/vine strike spells, too.

Really, there isn't much this Mountebank can't do. And the skill and flavour synergy with chameleon is basically perfect, as well as the mechanics.

You can get to CL20 on your Chameleon caster level with a prayer bead of karma (20000gp), a +1 CL ioun stone (30000gp), and a magical tattoo (2nd level slot, 100gp/day). I even put in the ranks of craft: magical tattoo (or whatever the hell the skill tax for that spell is).

Endgame stats you probably want are int and wis 20 for the bonus 5th level slot, and then all the dex you can get. Int and wis 20 are easy with +6 items, so I'd say all level ups probably go into dexterity.

Spoiler: Gear that matters
    Show

One awesome part of the Chameleon floating feat is that during your downtime, you can use it to craft whatever it is you want!

You want some of the CL gear (A bead of karma and an ioun stone) and probably some of the standard casting gear (rods of quicken and extend). A Nightstick (or two), and a reliquary holy symbol (or two). You're looking at stat boosters, primarily in Dexterity, with a lesser focus in your choice of Con/Int/Wis.

You want some of the TWFing gear, using a shadowhand weapon, which is probably short swords. So enchant them up in your favourite way. The http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279079 Two Weapon Fighting Offhandbook has some great suggestions. Also the standard +1 eager warning wand chamber nerveskitter wand staff to carry around and win initiative then drop as a free action.

I particularly like multicharging a stack of chronocharms of the horizonwalker, the shadow cloak (5500gp to duplicate mountebank class features? Yes please). Deathstrike bracers (crit/sneak attack whatever you want for 5000gp), bracers of lightning (11000gp for +1d6 lightning damage), Gloves of Ghost Fighting (4000gp for ghost touch), Gloves of the Balanced Hand (pick up Greater TWFing), Ring of Adamanite Touch (6000gp), the ever cheesy belt of battle.

Armor wise, you can only cast up to 3rd in arcane without failure, so you probably want Twilight Thistledown Mithril Breastplate, with your favourite enchantments.

Really, there are no shortage of good options when you're looking for things to boost your offensive, defensive, skills, arcane, and divine all in the same build. But your item needs are relatively low; your casting can shore up defenses in a lot of ways; you have access to Greater Magic Weapon, Magic Vestement, Superior Resistance, and many other important buffs.

You have IL10, so you can also drop in items for 5th level or lower manoeuvres off of items, such as Shadow Stride, Dancing Mongoose and Pouncing Charge.

Spoiler: Spells and Manouevers
    Show

Spellbooks: You can use extra spell to add whatever you want during downtime; take the feat, then save the memorized spell for a day and the next day grab scribe scroll; write the scroll down and add it to your spell book.

Spells I mentioned you probably wanting:
    Greater Magic Weapon, Magic Vestement, Superior Resistance, Divine Power, Hunter's Eye. Heal as a 5th level spell from the Adept list is pretty sweet too. Greater Invisibility, Dimension Door, Freedom of Movement, Haste and Alter Self are all good options --- just more ways to mimic Mountebank class features, at the same level, and of higher quality, than the Mountebank abilities you'd get if you were just X5/Mountebank 10.

Manoeuvres known: 6, IL 10: Shadow Jaunt, Rabid Wolf Strike, Fire Riposte, Flashing Sun, Cloak of Deception, Distracting Ember, 4 Readied (usually Distracting Ember, Flashing Sun, Cloak of Deception and Rabid Wolf Strike at lower levels, Shadow Jaunt at higher)
    Stances Known: Assassin's Stance, Island of Blades

Spoiler: Sourcing
    Show

Sourcing:
    Class: Chameleon (Race of Destiny page 111)
    Class: Swordsage (Tome of Battle page 20), manouevers and feat: Assassin's stance also from Tome of Battle.
    Feat: Darkstalker (LoMpg179)
    Feat: Persistent Spell (Complete arcane, page 81)
    Feat: Divine metamagic: Persistent spell (Complete divine, page 80)
    Alternative Class Feature: Fighter: Armored Mage (Cmpg32)
    Feat: Staggering Strike: Complete Adventurer, pg 112

Spells: SpC, other sources. Items from MiC and other sources. Both recommendations and non-essentials, though getting Divine Power as a 3rd level spell rather than 4th from Runescarred Berserker (unapproachable east page 31) is awesome. Hunter's eye is from Player's Handbook 2

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

If you'll believe this, I've got a bridge to sell you...
    Quote Originally Posted by Demos
    Race: Silverbrow Human, TN****, Binder 4, Cleric 1, Chameleon 6, Mountebank 9

Starting Stats
    Spoiler
    Show

STR 12
    Dex 12
    Con 10
    Int 16
    Wis 14
    Cha 14

Fluff:
    Spoiler
    Show

The story
    Spoiler
    Show
    Demos began adventuring after stumbling across an ancient manuscript that explained how to call forth outsiders and bind them to your will. Coming across a band of orcs he could not hope to take out on his own, he bound Naberius and disguised himself as an orc and claimed to be a long lost son of the tribe. He thought the con would never succeed and he would end up in the cooking pot. Boy, was he wrong. The orcs believed his tale so much that they showered him with treasures and sent him on his way to be their champion.

He was hooked from that moment on Demos used the Vestiges to con people out of their belongings. He grew to be quite the con man and had little trouble making people believe his stories. After awhile Demos realized that he had the skill to do something more with his ability. He purchased a church, hoping to proselytize, and earn a killing, leaving the poor saps to wallow in their misery while he was long gone counting his gold pieces. Again the con worked too well. He managed to convince the town that he was a priest of a made up goddess, Luhvedit, the goddess of the ultimate plan. He had no experience in being a priest and quickly had to seek out other churches and learn their teachings. Since the god was one he had only made up, it took many hard hours of preparation, constructing the fake works of the goddess. He devoted so much of his time to her that she became real in his own mind as well, and he learned to cast spells granted by his belief in her. Soon though, the masses that followed were waning in their own belief and he vowed to them that she was real.

Unable to use his spells or his vestiges to produce the goddess as he had envisioned her he sought out the ancient teachings of the mysterious Mimic Mansion. After many months of study he learned how to manifest himself as the goddess, and returned to the people. Luhvedit manifested herself to the church, though only few members at the time it quickly grew and surpassed all his expectations. He could feel her becoming more and more real until one day he felt as if he were truly her, and she him, two minds in one body.

The inner him, his core self, sought to grab hold and he started blacking out for periods of time, being neither Luhvedit nor Demos. An animalistic side raged against the cages during his lucid moments, and he had nightmares of the killings performed by the beast that raged within his own body. Yenras had unleashed himself from the deepest recesses of Demos’ own subconscious; The Assassin the Chameleons helped create. A creature that felt no remorse for killing innocents. Demos struggled against the two invaders of his mind only to discover a third had taken up residence. This new creature reveled in the death caused by Yenras and toyed with the victims bodies bringing them back to life in a twisted exercise of torture. The more he struggled the worse it got. In a rare moment of lucidity Demos summoned Naberius, his long time friend and associate. Explaining to the Outsider his dilemma, he hoped desperately that the creature could provide insight.

“Demos my friend, we are all many people. To our loved ones, a shoulder to cry on; our children a protector; our coworkers, a trusted member of the team.” The words he spoke rang clear and Demos accepted that he was all of these and more, once again gaining control over his own mind.

The Four Ego’s at 20

Spoiler
    Show
    Luhvedit Artin’lerie- Female Avariel: Fly 50 (avg); +4 to jump and spot; +2 listen and search; Dive attack; wpn prof. longsword/lasso. A primary divine caster. Luhvedit prefers to boost her Wisdom. She usually casts mass lesser vigor in the morning Using Tenebrous to fuel her turning for DMM or Buer for out of combat healing but is not opposed to changing it up if necessary. Luhvedit abhors combat unless its against undead and will normally buff the party or debuff the enemy. She rarely chooses to focus on anything but her divine power. Her bonus feat usually lends itself as practiced spellcaster. Her pact augmentation usually lends itself to assist her savings throws. She is a master diplomancer and will not stoop to intimidating someone to do her will, relying on charm monster mass and her diplomacy skills. People her know her would say she is the epitome of LG and will always help those in need. She has been known to utilize mage buffs in the morning for extended hour/lvl spells and then preparing her cleric spells as normal, and saving her DMM buffs for the party.

Example level 20 stats without spell buffs
    Str 13
    Dex 12
    Con 12
    Int 18
    Wis 18
    Cha 14

Yenras Slrnissi- Male Tren: 40ft swim; +4 (+8 rocky/subterranean); 2xclaws 1d4, 1xbite (1d4); Multiattack. A snake at heart. Yenras prefers to boost his Str or Con. He prefers to do as much damage as possible and believes wholeheartedly “that might makes right”. He will typically augment his damage and is normally focused on Combat though will refocus if needed especially for his buffs in the morning. He usually uses Amon, Aym, Ronove, Dahlver Nar, or Paimon, but has been known to use Savnok, and Andromalius on rare occasion. He has been known to fly into a violent rage in combat. He has no qualms with killing anyone, and many rumors abound of orphans gone missing that may have tried pickpocketing him. He loves to bluff (feint) and intimidate his opponents and is known for savoring kills if he has the time. He is the antithesis to Luhvedit and many would put his alignment at CN, but not to his face. He prefers to use the morning preparing cleric spells and buffing with DMM. Typically expending as many spell slots as possible on hour/level buffs before switching to a melee aptitude. The typical Persisted ones are Divine power, bite of the werewolf and Hunter’s eye. His bonus feat usually lends itself as Power attack or on occasion improved natural attack (bite). With these buffs Yenras can sneak attack for 9d6 at lvl 20 only 1d6 behind a typical rogue, he has a strength of 21 without items and can power attack to make good use of his exceptional strength.

Str 15
    Dex 12
    Con 12
    Int 18
    Wis 16
    Cha 14

Mystrin - Male Catfolk (calico): 40ft move; +2 listen and move silent. The crafter/Necromancer. Mystrin prefers to boost his intelligence. Malphus is a favored vestige as he can keep hidden while he lays down destruction or controls the battlefield with his minions. Amon, Focalor, or Karsus are known to occasionally be in his repertoire, especially when dungeon delving. He is also known for using his bonus feat as practiced spellcaster for the CL boost. He will usually buff in the morning using DMM and extend on as many of the divine spells as possible before switching to arcane aptitude. While bound he will usually shore up his AC or HP with the vestige augment. He is very curious and sadistic preferring to mix and match spells “just to see what happens”. He has a natural instinct for when people are telling him the truth and is rarely surprised in how they act. If he were given an alignment many would call him NE.

Str 13
    Dex 12
    Con 12
    Int 20
    Wis 16
    Cha 14

Demos Thenan - while still an amazing diplomancer and infiltrator Demos typically fits in where needed, though he favors the rogue role. Unlike his other personalities he has no qualms about switching roles at a moments notice and tries to make the best use of his abilities based on a parties current needs. Should a party have no specific need, he has been known to change roles on a daily basis, just to keep it interesting. His longtime use of naberius makes him a preferred vestige during downtime, though during combat he will use any vestige that best suits his needs. He prefers Naberius or Ronove when breaking into places stealthily or any of the following for combat Andromalius, Paimon, or Malphus.

Example level 20 stats without Buffs
    Str 13
    Dex 12
    Con 12
    Int 18
    Wis 16
    Cha 14
    +2 anywhere though usually placed in Con for the hitpoints or Cha if needed for the turn attempts

Overall
    Spoiler
    Show
    Overall Demos is a jack of all trades, and while not as powerful as others of his level he does have a lot of versatility, more so than most classes. He still manages to pick up 3 attacks though his to-hit is a little lower than most unless using DMM divine power. He has the ability to craft every type of magic item that matters and unless I am missing something he can use arcane spell trigger items without issue because of the Chameleon levels. Even if there were issues he has the skill points to dump into UMD if needed. This can lead Demos to be a wand caster if needed, even for times when his ego’s or aptitude aren’t favoring spellcasting. If wanted he could buff using both divine and arcane spells getting the best of both worlds, and being a formidable melee gish. Demos excels at infiltrating the enemy and can be tailored to be THE skill monkey of the party and he can grab the stealth aptitude for trapfinding if needed. Demos is a character that can be taken straight from one adventure into a new one with entirely new party make-ups and never be hindered. His alter ego’s can be tailored to a specific adventure and he has the bluff/diplomacy to make it believable, and chameleon helps to fully make these ego’s distinct characters, not just an imposter with no skill. His biggest strength lies in the chameleon’s ability to choose spells from any spell list granting him spells he might not ordinarily have access to and a floating feat to further define his Ego’s. Practiced spellcasting either puts him at CL 16 or 20 depending on DM judgement with lvl 4 spells, baring cheese. To make it easier for yourself, grab a weapon with transformative property, and any of the many ways to change your clothing set. A helm of disguise can let you use your ability to change appearance on the fly while maintaining a vestige other than naberius.

The breakdown
    Spoiler
    Show

1st Binder 1 +0 +2 +0 +2 Knowledge Arcana 4, Intimidate 4, Bluff 4, Diplomacy 4, Disguise 4 Able Learner, Deceitful Soul Binding (1)
    2nd Binder 2 +1 +3 +0 +3 Bluff 5, Diplomacy 5, Disguise 5, Spellcraft 2 -- Pact Augmentation (1), Suppress Sign
    3rd Binder 3 +2 +3 +1 +3 Bluff 6, Spellcraft 3, Sense Motive 3 Improved Binding --
    4th Binder 4 +3 +4 +1 +4 Bluff 7, Disguise 7, spellcraft 4, Sense Motive 4 Persuasive(BF) Bonus Feat
    5th Binder 4 / Cleric 1 +3 +4 +1 +6 Disguise 8, Bluff 8, Knowledge Religion 3 Extend Spell (D), Extra Turning (D) Rebuke Undead, Domains: Undeath, Planning
    6th Binder 4 / Cleric 1 / Chameleon 1 +3 +4 +1 +6 *knowledge religion 5, Knowledge arcana 5 Expel Vestige Aptitude focus 1/day (+2)
    7th Binder 4 / Cleric 1 / Chameleon 2 +4 +4 +x +x * -- **Bonus Feat (Floating)
    8th Binder 4 / Cleric 1 / Chameleon 3 +5 +5 +2 +7 * -- Mimic Class Feature 1/day
    9th Binder 4 / Cleric 1 / Chameleon 3 / Mountebank 1 +5 +5 +4 +7 * Persistent Spell Tongue of the devil
    10th Binder 4 / Cleric 1 / Chameleon 3 / Mountebank 2 +6/1 +5 +5 +7 * -- Sneak Attack +1d6
    11th Binder 4 / Cleric 1 / Chameleon 3 / Mountebank 3 +7/2 +6 +5 +8 * -- Alter Ego (1)
    12th Binder 4 / Cleric 1 / Chameleon 3 / Mountebank 4 +8/3 +6 +6 +8 * ***Divine Metamagic-Persistent Spell Sideslip 1/day
    13th Binder 4 / Cleric 1 / Chameleon 3 / Mountebank 5 +8/3 +6 +6 +8 * -- Sneak Attack +2d6
    14th Binder 4 / Cleric 1 / Chameleon 3 / Mountebank 6 +9/4 +7 +7 +9 * -- Alter Ego (2), Sideslip 2/day
    15th Binder 4 / Cleric 1 / Chameleon 4 / Mountebank 6 +10/5 +7 +7 +9 * ***Easy Metamagic-Persistent spell Ability Boon +2
    16th Binder 4 / Cleric 1 / Chameleon 5 / Mountebank 6 +10/5 +7 +7 +9 * -- Aptitude focus 2/day (+4)
    17th Binder 4 / Cleric 1 / Chameleon 5 / Mountebank 7 +11/6/1 +7 +7 +9 * -- Slippery Mind
    18th Binder 4 / Cleric 1 / Chameleon 5 / Mountebank 8 +12/7/2 +7 +8 +9 * Extra turning Sideslip 3/day, Sneak Attack +3d6
    19th Binder 4 / Cleric 1 / Chameleon 5 / Mountebank 9 +12/7/2 +8 +8 +10 * -- Alter Ego (3)
    20th Binder 4 / Cleric 1 / Chameleon 6 / Mountebank 9 +13/8/3 +10 +11 +12 * -- Mimic Class Feature 2/day

Cleric Spells
    Spoiler
    Show

Level 0lvl 1st
    5th 3 2+1

Chameleon Spells
    Spoiler
    Show

Level 0lvl 1st 2nd 3rd 4th
    6th 4 2 0 - -
    7th 4 3 1 - -
    8th 4 3 2 0 -
    9th 4 3 2 0 -
    10th 4 3 2 0 -
    11th 4 3 2 0 -
    12th 4 3 2 0 -
    13th 4 3 2 0 -
    14th 4 3 2 0 -
    15th 4 4 3 1 -
    16th 4 4 3 2 0
    17th 4 4 3 2 0
    18th 4 4 3 2 0
    19th 4 4 3 2 0
    20th 4 4 4 3 1

Chameleon spells can be chosen from any class list, this will make many spells a lower level than either a cleric or wizard could hope for, with some spells dropping as many as 2 full levels. Spells per day for arcane are based on intelligence, and Divine based on Wis. Both would receive bonus spells depending on which type you are using and are not factored into the table above.

Notes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Stat boosts can go in any stat depending on your playstyle. If you wish to grab power attack grab some Str. Primary divine caster grab Wis, arcane or skill monkey grab Int. finding yourself in melee grab some Dex for AC or Con for hp. This Build allows for the stats to be adjusted based on playstyle and is only as MAD as you wish, though focusing on any one area will limit the versatility.

*Skills - At this point Demos has all the skill points he needs to max every skill needed for both PRC req’s and any binding requirements. In addition to those skills Demos makes sure to keep Diplomacy, Bluff, Disguise, and Sense Motive maxxed. After that it is dependant on personal taste and what might be needed for a situation. He has the skill points to cover the skillmonkey position if needed or the knowledge checks. He can also bind different vestiges for bonuses to certain skills and the ability to try some trained only skills if needed. Different Aptitudes also give a +4 modifier to various skills depending on the aptitude chosen.

**Bonus Feat (Floating) - can be changed daily and there is room for lots of abuse if the DM is lenient. This Build assumes that we have a sane DM and abuse is kept to a minimum. On a daily basis here is a few good options that Demos (as written) prefers: Improved Initiative (possible +6 total with Binder pacts before dex mod), Improved toughness (possible 5+lvl HP with pacts), Crafter feats, Practiced spellcaster (gives +4 to spellcasting class (it requires spellcraft not ability to cast spells) which as written should give a plus 8 CL when applied to chameleon class), ability focus/sudden ability focus, Any feat that gives a skill boost if he knows it will be needed ahead of time. This feat can also allow him to pick up Dragonblood feats, such as Draconic aura (presence boosts every skill Demos is focused on). Also of note, the Silverbrow’s ability to feather fall has a CL based on HD so he can easily qualify for all of the crafting feats.

***DMM Persistent spell - Here is the combo. Easy metamagic reduces the metamagic cost of Persistent to +5. Every 5 rounds a Tenebrous binding grants +1 turning attempt, effectively “reducing” the cost by 1, for a total of +4. Demos and his Ego’s all have 3+(cha=2) +8 (extra turningx2). Giving us 13 total spell turn attempts to burn before adding any items (night sticks, and cha buffing items recommended). That is 3 spells that can be persisted before items.

****A quick note on alignments. Being true neutral, Demos must ultimately stay in balance, being neither too good or evil, nor too Chaotic or lawful. His Ego’s help him maintain this balance by shoring up any area’s he may have begun to stray towards. In theory an average day as Luhvedit would require a day as both Yenras to cancel the lawful, and Mystrin to cancel the good. While Demos’ alignment never actually changes, he does tend to make them seem that way even if no real actions have been taken.

Munchkin-size me!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Grab a flaw and take improved binding with it, moving expel vestige to level 3. At 5 pick up extra turning for 4 more turn attempts, thats one more Persisted spell. Switch out cleric for the cloistered cleric and give yourself another domain. Grab a nightstick (if they stack get more) for one more persisted spell per stick. A holy symbol nets you +2 more attempts. After that stack cha bonus, only +2 needed for one more persisted spell. The floating feat can also be used to grab another extra turning if needed. Allowing maximum cheese Demos could be quite abusive with the floating feat and we could switch out to an actual sorcerer class and a spontaneous cleric-like class and abuse the crap out of it with any of the extra spell cheese for lvl 9 spells, and still stay well within his current theme. Additionally we could grab a flaw and pickup vow of poverty and sacred vow, moving all of his feats down one step. This would allow us to grab many of the very nifty additions (vow of nonviolence/peace) to diplomacy that could allow Demos to make epic level diplomacy checks. by either going into epic levels or dropping one level of mountebank you could grab a 7th chameleon level giving access to 5th level spells and the amazing ability to use double aptitude allowing for some truly amazing combo’s.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

Come on, the Dark Tower? Insert witty Stephen King reference of choice here.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Outcast
    The Outcast
    N Lupin Factotum 3/Swordsage 2/SI 10/Twisted Lord 5
    Stats
    Spoiler
    Show
    Str 10
    Dex 15 (All increases here)
    Con 14
    Int 16
    Wis 10
    Cha 12
    Alter Egos of Groundling, Thri-Kreen, Kir-lanan Gargoyle

Backstory
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Outcast was not always as he is now. As a young pup, he had a childhood much like the other members of his tribe, learning under the tutelage of the elders to hunt for food and fight in tribal combat, especially against werewolves, their ancient foe. Like many of the other males, when he came of age he went off into the cities to relieve the burden on his tribe and to seek his own greatness.

In a number of the cities they laughed him off as a foolish tribal who did not know the dangers of what he was getting into. One day while in the town square of one of many forgettable villages he was looking for notices of mercenaries wanted when he spied a small notice asking for help combating a newly made werewolf. He leapt at the opportunity, and quickly set out for the town. After a long day’s ride he came upon the creature preying upon a penned flock. He was able to make quick work of the beast, and when the townspeople emerged to examine the scene he was beaming with pride. When they saw him, many fled back into their homes, and others began screaming that more monsters had come to kill them. He tried to explain, but they would not listen, and eventually he left in shame. The elders had not warned him the people in the cities would be so ignorant or so fearful.

With time, he began to realize just how much the city people feared those that were not like them. Many of the jobs offered did not seem to be motivated by their desire to be protected from danger. They seemed to want to be protected from the very sight of what they feared. More and more he found himself turning to the less hateful tasks of thieving and delivery for a mysterious shadowy group that seemed present in every town. When some time had passed, he decided to try a different approach with the city people. Perhaps it was simply him they feared. So one day, using some of the old magic he had learned from the elders, he came to them in a less predatory form, asking after work they might have for him. He was met with equal parts distrust and revulsion. When he slipped in the space between spaces and into another room, he heard them mock him in both his true form and the new, and at last he finally understood. The city people would never accept his people, or any like his people. They would only ever regard his kind with hate and fear. He left the village in disgust.

He sought out the only city people he had ever seen that had not treated him with disdain or suspicion, the mysterious group from the dark tower. The men of the tower welcomed him into their folds. Men so twisted and gnarled as they cared not for appearance. They taught him their ways, to shift his form and twist perceptions. He returned to the towns of the city people to carry out the assassinations the people of the tower demanded in return for their aid. He eagerly accepted the opportunity. The people of the city had branded him a monster. Let them now run in fear of one.

Build
    Spoiler
    Show

1st Factotum 1 +0 +0 +2 +0 Autohypnosis 4, Bluff 4, Disguise 4, Hide 4, Knowledge (Arcana) 4, Move Silently 4, Spellcraft 4, Tumble 4, Use Magic Device 4 Darkstalker Inspiration, Cunning Insight, Cunning Knowledge, Trapfinding

2nd Factotum 2 +1 +0 +3 +0 Autohypnosis 5, Bluff 5, Disguise 5, Hide 5, Intimidate 2, Move Silently 5, Tumble 5, Use Magic Device 5 Arcane Dilletante (1 Spell)
    3rd Factotum 3 +2 +1 +3 +1 Second Impression, Autohypnosis 6, Bluff 6, Disguise 6, Hide 6, Move Silently 6, Tumble 6, Use Magic Device 6 Deceitful Brains Over Brawn, Cunning Defense
    4th Swordsage 1 +2 +1 +5 +3 Balance 4, Bluff 7, Hide 7, Move Silently 7, Tumble 7 Quick to Act +1, Discipline Focus (Weapon Focus in Tiger Claw)
    5th Swordsage 2 +3 +1 +6 +4 Balance 5, Bluff 8, Hide 8, Intimidate 5, Move Silently 8, Tumble 8 AC Bonus
    6th Mountebank 1 +3 +1 +8 +4 Bluff 9, Disguise 9, Jump 2, Tumble 9 Weapon Finesse Tongue of the Devil
    7th Mountebank 2 +4 +1 +9 +4 Bluff 10, Disguise 10, Jump 5, Spot 1, Tumble 10 Sneak Attack +1d6
    8th Mountebank 3 +5 +2 +9 +7 Group Fake-Out, Bluff 11, Disguise 11, Listen 1, Spot 2, Tumble 11 Alter Ego
    9th Mountebank 4 +6/+1 +2 +10 +5 Bluff 12, Disguise 12, Listen 3, Spot 4, Tumble 12 Staggering Strike Sideslip 1/day
    10th Mountebank 5 +6/+1 +2 +10 +5 Bluff 13, Disguise 13, Listen 5, Spot 6, Tumble 13 Sneak Attack +2d6
    11th Mountebank 6 +7/+2 +3 +11 +6 Bluff 14, Disguise 14, Listen 8, Spot 8 Alter Ego, Sideslip 2/day
    12th Mountebank 7 +8/+3 +3 +11 +6 Bluff 15, Disguise 15, Listen 10, Spot 11 Martial Study (Death From Above) Slippery Mind
    13th Mountebank 8 +9/+4 +4 +12 +7 Bluff 16, Disguise 16, Listen 13, Spot 13 Sideslip 3/day, Sneak Attack +3d6
    14th Mountebank 9 +9/+4 +4 +12 +7 Bluff 17, Disguise 17, Listen 15, Spot 16 Alter Ego
    15th Mountebank 10 +10/+5 +4 +13 +7 Bluff 18, Disguise 18, Listen 18, Spot 18 Spectral Skirmisher Sideslip 4/day, Sudden Escape
    16th Twisted Lord 1 +10/+5 +4 +15 +7 Hide 13, Move Silently 13, Use Magic Device 7 Twisted Form
    17th Twisted Lord 2 +11/+6/+1 +4 +16 +7 Hide 18, Move Silently 18, Use Magic Device 8 Sneak Attack +4d6
    18th Twisted Lord 3 +12/+7/+2 +5 +16 +8 Hide 21, Move Silently 21, Use Magic Device 13 Evasive Reflexes Improved Feint
    19th Twisted Lord 4 +13/+8/+3 +5 +17 +8 Bluff 22, Disguise 22, Hide 22, Move Silently 22, Use Magic Device 14 Peripheral Invisibility
    20th Twisted Lord 5 +13/+8/+3 +5 +17 +8 Bluff 23, Disguise 23, Hide 23, Listen 21, Move Silently 23, Spot 22 Sneak Attack +5d6

Maneuvers
    Spoiler
    Show
    1st Level Maneuvers
    Wolf Fang Strike
    Sudden Leap
    Distracting Ember
    Burning Blade
    Stone Bones
    Charging Minotaur
    Child of Shadow (Stance)
    Island of Blades (Stance)

2nd Level Maneuvers
    Cloak of Deception

Level 5
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, it’s Lupin, an amusing oddity from Dragon Compendium. It’s a monstrous humanoid, which will come up later. Darkvision means you’re better at detecting than most, and Pseudo-scent can even serve as crude see invisibility. Darkstalker is a must for any sneak, and it pays off at level 1.Factotum is a great starting class, giving you Int to almost everything. For Arcane Dilletante spells, I’d recommend things like Grease for rendering your targets flatfooted. Swordsage gives you a variety of useful maneuvers and stances, most of which help in rendering your enemies vulnerable to sneak attack; Island of Blades and Distracting Ember make for an automatic flanking.

Level 10
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nicely settled into mountebank at this point, and the benefits are already rolling in. Weapon Finesse means you can pretty much turn your back on strength, and Staggering Strike lets you make full use of your sneak attack to give your enemies a hard time. Tongue of the Devil lets you make use of your nice Int bonus. Sideslip combined with sudden leap mean you can get around the battlefield pretty well, positioning well for attacks. The immediate action means you can use it to avoid getting hit, so do. Alter Ego 1 is up and running, see the Alter Egos section for more details. Group Fake-Out is a nice trick that will come into play later.

Level 15
    Spoiler
    Show
    Slippery Mind is exceptionally helpful, especially since you can add your Int mod to both rolls, increasing your chances of success. Sudden Escape is useful if for whatever reason you really need to move farther than you usually could, because even you have limitations. Alter Egos 2 and 3 are up and running to great effect. Spectral Skirmisher makes it even harder to find you while invisible (from cloak of deception or twisted lord) and will get better later.

Level 20 (Sweet Spot)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes it’s Twisted Lord, a blast from the past. As part of the entry into the class you must rack up an affiliation score by doing jobs for them, which is easy enough to do, and this association gives you 2 free magic items, both of which are neat little perks of temp hp, save bonus vs spells, and a few utility SLAs. Peripheral invisibility means spectral skirmisher comes up even more frequently, and allows you to use evasive reflexes to stay hidden from your enemies, shifting to another square when they miss you. Improved Feint combined with Group Fake-Out mean you can render whole encounters flatfooted. Nothing goes with sneak attack like more sneak attack. Its many beautiful skill points mean that UMD is up to no chance of failure, so make free use of wands.

Alter Egos
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Groundling. As the first form you select, it must be 3HD, but you get a lot for those 3HD. 2 claws and bite are already more attacks than you have, and as light weapons you can apply weapon finesse to them. Claws are one of Tiger Claw’s favored weapons, so enjoy the weapon focus with them. Having some natural armor doesn’t hurt, but the most important thing here is burrow speed, which you can use to move about unseen and covered by ground, thus you cannot be targeted. It has all sorts of uses in bypassing walls and entering buildings, as the floor is rarely as fortified as the walls.

2. Thri-kreen. This is an exceptionally useful form that gives all sorts of benefits. Firstly, it has 40 ft movement speed to move about the battlefield better. Second, it has natural armor to help when the going gets tough. A +30 racial bonus (as changed in XPH) on jump checks mean you can sudden leap 30 feet during a fight, and death from above will always be successful. If you factor in the +4 from having a faster movement speed you can easily get higher results, though you have to talk with your DM about whether you can actually jump that distance, since the chart only goes up to 30. Thri-kreen have 4 claws which benefit from weapon focus and finesse, and a bite capable of inflicting poison once per day. Thri-kreen are capable of wielding weapons, which means you are free to use a one-handed weapon like a handaxe for iteratives, which means you get up to 7 attacks in a round, and with sneak attack applying to all of them, that damage adds up quickly. Deflect Arrows as a bonus feat is pretty nice, in case you go against the ranged type. This should be your default combat form from the time you get it.

3. Kir-lanan Gargoyle. Fly 90 feet (good) is extremely useful, and lets you maneuver and travel very quickly. If you get in a fight where you want to strafe enemies it can be useful, with claws of its own to supplement your attacks. Combined with all the other means of movement and invisibility you have, it will make a real headache for your enemies.

Sources
    Spoiler
    Show
    Factotum: Dungeonscape
    Swordsage, Martial Study, Evasive Reflexes: Tome of Battle
    Twisted Lord: Shattered Gates of Slautergarde
    Group Fake-Out, Second Impression: Complete Scoundrel
    Darkstalker: Lords of Madness
    Staggering Strike: Complete Adventurer
    Spectral Skirmisher: Player’s Handbook II
    Groundling: Monsters of Faerun
    Thri-kreen: Expanded Psionics Handbook
    Kir-lanan Gargoyle: Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
    Deceitful, Weapon Finesse: srd

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

Or is it YoSaffBridge?
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlefingers
    Littlefingers
    CG Gnome Beguiler 6/Agent of the Crown 5/Mountebank 9

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Gnomes go by many names, often as many as they have social circles. "Littlefingers" has a face and personality for every name, and nobody suspects that Venerable Laurius Sprinklebottom, the King's wizened Master Oenologist, and Prissy Applecheeks, vivacious lady-in-waiting to the neighbouring realm's Dowager Duchess, are one and the same. He (or she?) is the perfect infiltrator, not because of any proclivity for stealth, but by virtue of his silver tongue. After all, why slink through shadows like a common thief when a few well-placed words can open the front door?

Take that time, for example, when Griknik the Kobold Pedlar convinced the night watch at the Erlinmude Estate that he was a new recruit, broke into Lady Gertryn's bed chamber, disabled all the wards on the vault, got caught in flagrante delicto, "reminded" her that she had summoned him there herself and walked out not only with her late uncle's true testament, but also with her deepest apologies for making him wait thirty minutes. Somehow that testament found its way onto the King's Marchal's desk, allowing for Lady Gertryn's arrest and her brother's release.

Little's motives are his own. Depending on who's asking, he might profess to seek the stability of the realm, financial gain, personal power, the greater good, revenge, or whatever else you would find credible.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Spoiler: Race and Ability Scores
    Show
    Being a gnome, apart from being thematically appropriate, brings all the advantages of being small (+1 to hit and AC), improves the save DC for half your spell list and has none of the usual drawbacks, as this character really won't care about his weapon damage.

Starting Stats: Str 8 Dex 14 Con 8 Int 18 Wis 8 Cha 16
    Racial adjustments: Str 6 Dex 14 Con 10 Int 18 Wis 8 Cha 16
    Level adjustments: +1 Int (levels 4, 8, 12 and 16) +1 Str (Level 20)
    Final Stats: Str 7 Dex 14 Con 10 Int 22 Wis 8 Cha 16

Spoiler: Build
    Show
    1st Beguiler 1 +0 +0 +0 +2 (40) Bluff 4, Concentration 4, Decipher Script 1, Diplomacy 4, Disable Device 4, Knowledge (Arcana) 3, Knowledge (Local) 3, Open Lock 4, Search 4, Sense Motive 4, Speak Language* (Giant), Spellcraft 4 Weapon Finesse Armored Mage, Trapfinding
    2nd Beguiler 2 +1 +0 +0 +3 (10) Bluff 5, Concentration 5, Decipher Script 1, Diplomacy 4, Disable Device 5, Disguise 1, Forgery 1, Knowledge (Arcana) 5, Knowledge (Local) 5, Open Lock 4, Search 5, Sense Motive 4, Speak Language* (Giant), Spellcraft 4 Cloaked Casting (+1 DC), Surprise Casting
    3rd Beguiler 3 +1 +1 +1 +3 (10) Bluff 6, Concentration 6, Decipher Script 1, Diplomacy 6, Disable Device 5, Disguise 1, Forgery 1, Gather Information 1, Knowledge (Arcana) 5, Knowledge (Local) 6, Open Lock 4, Search 6, Sense Motive 6, Speak Language* (Giant), Speak Language* (Sylvan), Spellcraft 4 Obtain Familiar Advanced Learning (Serene Visage)
    4th Beguiler 4 +2 +1 +1 +4 (10) Bluff 7, Concentration 7, Decipher Script 1, Diplomacy 7, Disable Device 7, Disguise 1, Forgery 1, Gather Information 1, Knowledge (Arcana) 5, Knowledge (Local) 7, Open Lock 5, Search 7, Sense Motive 7, Speak Language* (Giant), Speak Language* (Sylvan), Spellcraft 4
    5th Beguiler 5 +2 +1 +1 +4 (10) Bluff 8, Concentration 8, Decipher Script 1, Diplomacy 8, Disable Device 8, Disguise 1, Forgery 1, Gather Information 1, Knowledge (Arcana) 5, Knowledge (Local) 8, Open Lock 5, Search 8, Sense Motive 8, Speak Language* (Giant), Speak Language* (Sylvan), Spellcraft 4, Tumble 3 Silent Spell
    6th Beguiler 6 +3 +2 +2 +5 (10) Bluff 8, Concentration 9, Decipher Script 1, Diplomacy 8, Disable Device 8, Disguise 1, Forgery 1, Gather Information 1, Knowledge (Arcana) 5, Knowledge (Local) 8, Open Lock 5, Search 8, Sense Motive 8, Speak Language* (Giant), Speak Language* (Sylvan), Spellcraft 9, Swim 4, Tumble 3 Skill Focus (Sense Motive) Surprise Casting (move action)
    7th Agent of the Crown 1 +3 +2 +4 +5 (12) Bluff 10, Concentration 9, Decipher Script 1, Diplomacy 8, Disable Device 10, Disguise 1, Forgery 1, Gather Information 5, Knowledge (Arcana) 5, Knowledge (Local) 8, Open Lock 5, Search 10, Sense Motive 10, Speak Language* (Giant), Speak Language* (Sylvan), Spellcraft 9, Swim 4, Tumble 3 Skill Focus (Sense Motive) Agent of the Crown, Smooth Talker
    8th Agent of the Crown 2 +4 +2 +5 +5 (13) Bluff 11, Concentration 9, Decipher Script 1, Diplomacy 8, Disable Device 11, Disguise 1, Forgery 1, Gather Information 11, Knowledge (Arcana) 5, Knowledge (Local) 8, Open Lock 5, Search 11, Sense Motive 11, Speak Language* (Giant), Speak Language* (Sylvan), Spellcraft 9, Swim 4, Tumble 6 Friends in Low Places
    9th Agent of the Crown 3 +5 +3 +5 +6 (13) Bluff 12, Concentration 9, Decipher Script 2, Diplomacy 10, Disable Device 12, Disguise 2, Forgery 2, Gather Information 12, Knowledge (Arcana) 5, Knowledge (Local) 8, Open Lock 5, Ride 2, Search 12, Sense Motive 12, Speak Language* (Giant), Speak Language* (Sylvan), Spellcraft 9, Swim 4, Tumble 7 Deceitful Social Chameleon
    10th Agent of the Crown 4 +6/+1 +3 +6 +6 (13) Bluff 13, Concentration 9, Decipher Script 9, Diplomacy 10, Disable Device 13, Disguise 2, Forgery 2, Gather Information 13, Knowledge (Arcana) 5, Knowledge (Local) 8, Open Lock 5, Ride 2, Search 13, Sense Motive 13, Speak Language* (Giant), Speak Language* (Sylvan), Spellcraft 9, Swim 4, Tumble 8 Man of a Thousand Faces
    11th Agent of the Crown 5 +6/+1 +3 +6 +6 (13) Bluff 14, Concentration 9, Decipher Script 14, Diplomacy 10, Disable Device 14, Disguise 2, Forgery 2, Gather Information 14, Knowledge (Arcana) 5, Knowledge (Local) 8, Open Lock 5, Ride 4, Search 14, Sense Motive 14, Speak Language* (Giant), Speak Language* (Sylvan), Spellcraft 9, Swim 4, Tumble 9 Charming Demeanor
    12th Mountebank 1 +6/+1 +3 +8 +6 (9) Bluff 15, Concentration 15, Decipher Script 14, Diplomacy 10, Disable Device 14, Disguise 2, Forgery 2, Gather Information 14, Knowledge (Arcana) 5, Knowledge (Local) 8, Open Lock 5, Search 14, Sense Motive 15, Speak Language* (Giant), Speak Language* (Sylvan), Spellcraft 10, Swim 4, Tumble 9 Skill Focus (Bluff) Tongue of the Devil
    13th Mountebank 2 +7/+2 +3 +9 +6 (9) Bluff 16, Concentration 15, Decipher Script 14, Diplomacy 10, Disable Device 14, Disguise 3, Forgery 3, Gather Information 14, Knowledge (Arcana) 5, Knowledge (Local) 8, Open Lock 5, Search 14, Sense Motive 16, Speak Language* (Giant), Speak Language* (Sylvan), Spellcraft 10, Swim 4, Tumble 14 Sneak Attack +1d6
    14th Mountebank 3 +8/+3 +4 +9 +7 (9) Bluff 17, Concentration 15, Decipher Script 14, Diplomacy 10, Disable Device 14, Disguise 7, Forgery 3, Gather Information 14, Knowledge (Arcana) 5, Knowledge (Local) 8, Open Lock 5, Search 14, Sense Motive 17, Speak Language* (Giant), Speak Language* (Sylvan), Spellcraft 10, Swim 4, Tumble 17 Alter Ego
    15th Mountebank 4 +9/+4 +4 +10 +7 (9) Bluff 18, Concentration 15, Decipher Script 14, Diplomacy 10, Disable Device 14, Disguise 7, Forgery 4, Gather Information 14, Knowledge (Arcana) 5, Knowledge (Local) 8, Listen 3, Open Lock 5, Search 14, Sense Motive 18, Speak Language* (Giant), Speak Language* (Sylvan), Spellcraft 10, Spot 3, Swim 4, Tumble 17 Combat Expertise Sideslip 1/day
    16th Mountebank 5 +9/+4 +4 +10 +7 (10) Bluff 19, Concentration 15, Decipher Script 14, Diplomacy 10, Disable Device 14, Disguise 7, Forgery 4, Gather Information 14, Knowledge (Arcana) 5, Knowledge (Local) 8, Listen 7, Open Lock 5, Search 14, Sense Motive 19, Speak Language* (Giant), Speak Language* (Sylvan), Spellcraft 10, Spot 7, Swim 4, Tumble 17 Sneak Attack +2d6
    17th Mountebank 6 +10/+5 +5 +11 +8 (10) Bluff 20, Concentration 15, Decipher Script 14, Diplomacy 10, Disable Device 14, Disguise 7, Forgery 5, Gather Information 14, Knowledge (Arcana) 5, Knowledge (Local) 8, Listen 10, Open Lock 5, Search 14, Sense Motive 20, Speak Language* (Giant), Speak Language* (Sylvan), Spellcraft 10, Spot 10, Swim 4, Tumble 17 Alter Ego, Sideslip 2/day
    18th Mountebank 7 +11/+6/+1 +5 +11 +8 (10) Bluff 21, Concentration 20, Decipher Script 14, Diplomacy 10, Disable Device 14, Disguise 7, Forgery 5, Gather Information 14, Knowledge (Arcana) 5, Knowledge (Local) 8, Listen 10, Open Lock 5, Search 14, Sense Motive 21, Speak Language* (Giant), Speak Language* (Sylvan), Spellcraft 10, Spot 10, Swim 4, Tumble 20 Improved Feint Slippery Mind
    19th Mountebank 8 +12/+7/+2 +5 +12 +8 (10) Bluff 22, Concentration 20, Decipher Script 14, Diplomacy 10, Disable Device 14, Disguise 7, Forgery 5, Gather Information 14, Knowledge (Arcana) 5, Knowledge (Local) 8, Listen 14, Open Lock 5, Search 14, Sense Motive 22, Speak Language* (Giant), Speak Language* (Sylvan), Spellcraft 10, Spot 14, Swim 4, Tumble 20 Sideslip 3/day, Sneak Attack +3d6
    20th Mountebank 9 +12/+7/+2 +6 +12 +9 (10) Bluff 23, Concentration 20, Decipher Script 14, Diplomacy 10, Disable Device 14, Disguise 10, Forgery 5, Gather Information 14, Knowledge (Arcana) 5, Knowledge (Local) 8, Listen 15, Open Lock 5, Search 14, Sense Motive 23, Speak Language* (Giant), Speak Language* (Sylvan), Spellcraft 10, Spot 15, Swim 4, Tumble 23 Alter Ego
    * Automatic Languages: Common and Gnome. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Orc

Spoiler: Spells
    Show
    Spells per Day:
    Level Cantrips Level 1 Level 2 Level 3
    1 5 4 - -
    2 6 5 - -
    3 6 6 - -
    4 6 7 4 -
    5 6 7 5 -
    6 6 7 6 4

Spells Known:

See class spell list in PHB II p.11, and Serene Visage (SC p. 182) starting from level 3.

Spoiler: Sources
    Show
    PHB: Combat Expertise, Deceitful, Improved Feint, Skill Focus (Bluff), Skill Focus (Sense Motive)
    PHB II: Beguiler (p. 6)
    Ultimate Prestige Classes (3.0): Agent of the Crown (p.154)
    Complete Scoundrel: Mountebank (p. 57)
    Complete Arcane: Obtain Familiar (p.81), Weapon Finesse (p. 73)
    Spell Compendium: Serene Visage (p. 182)

Spoiler: Snap Shots
    Show

Spoiler: Level 5
    Show
    As a Beguiler, you are a fairly standard skill monkey relying partially on skill and partially on magic to help you through the day. Your familiar is obviously a snake for the +3 bonus to Bluff (which will become important in the rest of the build), and to give some range to your touch spells in a pinch. Other skill and feat choices have largely been made to qualify for prestige classes.

The choice for Serene Visage for your Advanced Learning at level 3 also builds towards building a high Bluff score. Even though it will only ever add 3, it has a nice duration and is not restricted in what the Bluff can be used for (contrary to Glibness). If you are somehow restricted to the Player's Handbook, your best option is Ventriloquism for shenanigans.

Although technically you now qualify for the Agent of the Crown prestige class, the 6th level of Beguiler offers 3rd-level spells, Surprise Casting as a move action and a +3 instead of +2 to Bluff from Serene Visage, so we are going to take that first.

Spoiler: Level 10
    Show
    You have shed your humble beginnings and are living it up with the high society. Being an Agent of the Crown is almost as good as printing your own money. We have added to our repertoire of Bluff bonuses, gained a feature that pushes the boundaries of the "no Leadership" rule, and finally found a way to make use of all the different voices in our head. People who don't know you unquestionably accept you as you are. Even if you do have the bad luck to run into a rival or close friend, you have a backup: Glibness severely restricts which uses of the Bluff skill it applies to, but "No your Majesty, I have no idea why I remind you of this brachydactylous agent of yours, I am just a milkman who has never been here before" totally qualifies, and is nowhere near a polymorphed lammasu.

Spoiler: Sweet Spot: Level 12
    Show
    This level marks the pinnacle of all the various Bluff bonuses this build accrues:
    • Skill Ranks: 15
    • Charisma: +3
    • Intelligence: +5
    • Snake Familiar: +3
    • Skill Focus: +3 feat bonus
    • Smooth Talker (AotC): +2 competence bonus
    • Serene Visage (Spell): +3 insight bonus

This all adds up to a beautiful +34, not counting masterwork tools or magic items. The reason for this madness is twofold. Firstly, you add all of this to your Bluff to feint in combat (Surprise Casting, Beguiler feature), vastly improving your chances to hit. It is still a move action at this point, but we're working on that. Secondly, your Agent of the Crown's Charming Demeanour is essentially a "Win-Button". Sure, dedicated "Bluffomancer" builds could seriously rack up the numbers even more, but they'd have to reduce Mountebank to a one-level dip to add in Psion, Marshall and more Beguiler levels. For us, however, the fun has only just begun.

Another reason why this level is a sweet spot is because your skill monkey skills are almost all maxed at this level, something which will sadly change as the Mountebank's class skills don't support them.

Spoiler: Level 15
    Show
    As we really get into the swing of things, you practically become a one-man party, with the four dependable Aliases from the Agent of the Crown supported by the fast-transformation Alter Egos that the Mountebank brings to the table.

Sideslip is your newest class feature and fits in very well with the overall non-confrontational side of the build.

You have now also had your first taste of Sneak Attack, which the Beguiler's Feint allows you to do often and reliably. Thanks to the particular wording of Surprise Casting and (Improved) Uncanny Dodge, you can sneak attack any Rogues and Barbarians regardless of their level. Happy days!

Spoiler: Level 20
    Show
    Compared to the full Beguiler, you have lost a little on your Will Save, but gained some BAB and turned a weak Reflex Save into a strong one.

While it is always sad when you can't take a Prestige Class to its capstone, in this case the last Mountebank level really wouldn't bring as much to this build as the 6th level of Beguiler does. Your feint is now a swift action, you have more faces than the average hydra, and everybody wants to be your friend.

Last edited by Kuulvheysoon; 2014-04-01 at 02:12 PM.