New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Minimized spell

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Minimized spell

The idea is basically that of a maximized spell but in reverse. The spell effect would be minimized so it would do minimum damage, cure the minimum number of hit points, etc, as appropriate. The benefit of this spell is that it would take up a spell slot three levels lower than the spell's actual level. What do you think

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Minimized spell

Quote Originally Posted by Scublacus_Venn View Post
    The idea is basically that of a maximized spell but in reverse. The spell effect would be minimized so it would do minimum damage, cure the minimum number of hit points, etc, as appropriate. The benefit of this spell is that it would take up a spell slot three levels lower than the spell's actual level. What do you think
    Use it on Heal, a spell which doesn't have any variable, numeric components and therefore functions normally.

Basically, it's asking to be broken.
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2014-03-15 at 10:31 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Would this be a feat? I'm assuming you'd still have to be able to cast spells of the unmodified level, and it only affects spells with a random numerical component.

Let's look at things.

Fireball: 5 damage in 20-ft radius as a cantrip. Not too bad. Combine with Fell Drain to make it 20-ft radius negative level.

Cure Serious Wounds: Heals 8 hp (eventually 18) as an orison.

Fire Shield: 1st level spell, anything hitting you takes 8 damage. Extend it to get a good enough duration.

Orb of Fire: 1st level spell, 7 damage and save versus Daze.

Enervate: 1st level spell. Ranged touch inflicts negative level (instead of 2.5 on average).

Cloudkill: 2nd level spell, automatically kills creatures with 3 or less HD, 4-6 have to save (and take 1 Con) or die, and 7+ save or take 1 Con damage a round.

Finger of Death: 4th level spell. Failed save die. Successful save 16 damage.

It might work on spells that are just blasting, but there are spells that blast as a secondary effect, or have a rolled effect other than raw damage (enervate, cloudkill).
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Use it on divine power. Or fly.
    All work I do is CC-BY-SA. Copy it wherever you want as long as you credit me.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

You know, I came to this thread imagining some kind of offensive debuff effect you can use on other casters.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Well, you get a Lvl6 Time Stop for 2 Turns. Not bad, considering Temporal Acceleration only gives 1 (but is a swift action to manifest).

And Magic Missile... oh, so ripe for metamagic seeding.
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2014-03-16 at 12:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Even after you fix the most blatant problems with the feat (namely, the need to restrict it to spells with variable numeric effects, the odd interaction with casters too low a level to cast the spell normally, and the excessive level reduction this gives — try one level at most), you still have the basic problem that it's eminently abusable in the same situations metamagic reducers in general are. In fact, like Practical Metamagic and Easy Metamagic, it's actually a double-reducer when used with Arcane Thesis: it's a metamagic, so it applies -1 there, and it's also got a -1 (or -3, or whatever) all on its own.

Most abuses will involve one of two conditions:
    • Cases where the rolled quantity is largely irrelevant, like Fell Drain magic missile, since all you care about is landing at least one point of damage on each of several targets to trigger the drain.
    • Cases where the variable is only a very small part of the total, like mass inflict light wounds, since the caster level (up to +25!) is not reduced at all.

I can also imagine using this on time stop, since knowing exactly how much time you get is worth something in itself, and two rounds is enough to get a lot done.
    Last edited by TuggyNE; 2014-03-16 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Typo
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity