Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default GAME FOUND: Seeking D&D 3.5 Game for D&D Newbie

Hello Grand Playground!

I am seeking a game on behalf of a friend of mine (who isn't a member here yet, but will be once I poke her).

She is desperate to get into D&D, but doesn't have any groups nearby that she can join, so I suggested PbP in the meantime.

I'm looking for a DM willing to run a low-level, newbie friendly game; starting no higher than level 3. I'm happy (and she'd be happy) if someone just wanted to run a pre-written adventure, it doesn't have to be a full-on campaign (though those are fun too ). Oh, and she will want to be an elf ranger, I'll just put that out there right now.

So basically...
    1. Low-level (1-3), newbie friendly game
    2. Can be a pre-gen
    3. My friend will lay claim to an elf ranger
    4. Additional players and anything else will be subject to a DM, if we find one.

Thanks

Edit: I feel like I should mention, both of us are very regular posters, and I think this would probably suit someone who's perhaps never DM'd before, but has always wanted to give it a shot. Let's all be newbies together
    Last edited by Lady Moreta; 2014-04-11 at 09:25 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Seeking D&D 3.5 Game for D&D Newbie

If your interested in another player I'm happy to join. As I am also looking to join a game :D
    [roll] 4d6b3 [/roll]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

That means I can try out classes like psion.
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

4. - Top - End - #4

NinjaGuy

Hopefully theres a DM around here ^_^
    [roll] 4d6b3 [/roll]

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

If I can get someone else to generate the tactical maps and such, then I will gladly DM a game for you. Have a few different ones in mind, I want to keep the accepted material list short. If these terms are acceptable then I will present like 3-4 different campaigns and let you pick which one she would like to do. I always love helping people get into D&D!

6. - Top - End - #6

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Moreta View Post
    Edit: I feel like I should mention, both of us are very regular posters, and I think this would probably suit someone who's perhaps never DM'd before, but has always wanted to give it a shot. Let's all be newbies together
    I am a very experienced DM and I could certainly help facilitate and learning and off plenty of tips and such, so if you wanted a "new" DM then perhaps I am not you're best option. But I am new to pbp DMing, that's why I asked for someone to help for the maps. But I hope that you will allow me to run a game for you. If not, I would love to play the game as a PC with you.
    Last edited by Centaur Hero; 2014-03-18 at 11:26 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hi Caravan DM guy. *waves*
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

8. - Top - End - #8

NinjaGuy

hope you get to DM :D
    [roll] 4d6b3 [/roll]

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Centaur Hero View Post
    If I can get someone else to generate the tactical maps and such, then I will gladly DM a game for you. Have a few different ones in mind, I want to keep the accepted material list short. If these terms are acceptable then I will present like 3-4 different campaigns and let you pick which one she would like to do. I always love helping people get into D&D!
    You sound perfect I made the comment about it suiting a new DM simply to try and lure someone in

I would also be willing to attempt (and I mean attempt) to create action maps on your behalf. I've seen all sorts on this forum, one game I read because it's a good story uses the table code on vbulletin to make maps. One game I was in, the DM drew rough pictures in Paint. I've found that a rough idea is all you really need.

I've finally heard back from my friend... in her own words she's a 'total n00b' and you need to 'be prepared'. I'll tell her to hurry up and get her own account and post already.

10. - Top - End - #10

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Moreta View Post
    You sound perfect I made the comment about it suiting a new DM simply to try and lure someone in

I would also be willing to attempt (and I mean attempt) to create action maps on your behalf. I've seen all sorts on this forum, one game I read because it's a good story uses the table code on vbulletin to make maps. One game I was in, the DM drew rough pictures in Paint. I've found that a rough idea is all you really need.

I've finally heard back from my friend... in her own words she's a 'total n00b' and you need to 'be prepared'. I'll tell her to hurry up and get her own account and post already.
    Ok then, I will begin preps today.

11. - Top - End - #11

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    Hi Caravan DM guy. *waves*
    Hey, whats up?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Would there be room for more in this? :D I haven't played a 3.5 game before, and want to learn. I dabbled a bit with pathfinder, but I don't know how similar they are.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Thanks for the link Centaur Hero! I'd like to join in on this if everyone else is fine with it, I made a post which was rather similar to the opening post here and.. Yeah. Centaur Hero nudged me.

IF everyone is fine with my joining in, do we know what roles everyone is looking to fulfill? I don't want to step on anyone's toes here, but I was hoping to go elvish wizard (Yay, yay, cliche! yay, yay, cliche!, though I'm happy to take another role if it means I can play.

14. - Top - End - #14

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Kimino394 View Post
    Thanks for the link Centaur Hero! I'd like to join in on this if everyone else is fine with it, I made a post which was rather similar to the opening post here and.. Yeah. Centaur Hero nudged me.

IF everyone is fine with my joining in, do we know what roles everyone is looking to fulfill? I don't want to step on anyone's toes here, but I was hoping to go elvish wizard (Yay, yay, cliche! yay, yay, cliche!, though I'm happy to take another role if it means I can play.
    No problem, and last I looked only Elf ranger has been claimed, so I think wizard will be fine.

15. - Top - End - #15

MindFlayer

So, I have a few ideas in mind, what game would you all rather be in, a lvl 1 Ravenloft game, where you all will be hero's trying to survive a world of evil. Forgotten realms, where you all will be working for a sage trying to collect artifacts for his library/Museum. Or my homebrew world in a place called Bristle, Figuring out the mysterious events that have been plagueing the area.

Remember, everyone that has posted up until now gets one vote, 2 for the thread starter, 3 for the new player who has inspired this all in the first place.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

I would love to see your home-brew, sounds interesting, solving the mystery, and slowly piecing together what is happening.

17. - Top - End - #17

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixRise View Post
    I would love to see your home-brew, sounds interesting, solving the mystery, and slowly piecing together what is happening.
    So far we have 1 vote Homebrew. Can anyone who has posted thusfar, or anyone who is watching make a good tac-map?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

If Ravenloft is cheesy horror then I vote Bristle, if Ravenloft is not, "BLEH! I am here to svuck yours bluuud", then Ravenloft.

19. - Top - End - #19

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixRise View Post
    Would there be room for more in this? :D I haven't played a 3.5 game before, and want to learn. I dabbled a bit with pathfinder, but I don't know how similar they are.

Pathfinder is based off of 3.5, so much of the material is the same. There are a few differences in character creation and feats, etc.

Anyway, on to the main purpose of my post. I'm willing to jump in as well if there's room. I normally tend towards barbarian/fighter/warblade, but I kind of want to go with a ranger/scout Swift Hunter archer that I made a while ago and got shelved due to dwindling available play time. That being said, I'm flexible enough that I can play whatever class would be needed to fill out the roster. For PbP, I'd even be willing to play a priest class (probably druid) if the group needed it.

20. - Top - End - #20

NinjaGuy

I'm liking your ideas 2 AND 3 if that is possible ? XD
    [roll] 4d6b3 [/roll]

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

If we are playint 3.5/PF/4E, we can use a copy of my Songwillow Doc.

My order of preference would be:

- FR
    - Bristle
    - Ravenloft

But I honestly would be happy to play in any of them.
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2014-03-19 at 01:53 PM.
    DMing:
    The Heroes of Jinshu - IC / OOC / Doc
    The Forge of Fury - IC / OOC / Doc
    The Maze of Shattered Souls - IC / OOC / Doc
    Stomping Ground - IC / OOC / Doc

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Remember, everyone that has posted up until now gets one vote, 2 for the thread starter, 3 for the new player who has inspired this all in the first place.
    Awww, cheers I vote Bristle (because I love homebrew), and actually, Bristle again... I really love homebrew, and that storyline has the most appeal to me.

So far we have 1 vote Homebrew. Can anyone who has posted thusfar, or anyone who is watching make a good tac-map?
    I can try, I've seen tac-maps made using the table feature and I can make tables. It's a little bit of a long process to create one, but once you're done it's just a matter of copy/pasting the code. Then again, I've played in a game where the tac-maps were rough drawings in Paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Balldanor View Post
    Pathfinder is based off of 3.5, so much of the material is the same. There are a few differences in character creation and feats, etc.
    Pathfinder is more confusing Actually I have no idea if that's really true. I just created a character in Pathfinder for another game and found it quite confusing, but that could simply be the fact that the online Pathfinder srd thingie is really badly worded in places. And I'm so used to 3.5 that anything different just makes me go 'ahhhh!' on sheer instinct.

I gave my friend this link yesterday, so she should be turning up soon.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Halfling in the Playground

Hello! I'd be that newbie that Lady Moreta was talking about - and yes, I would want to play an elf Ranger. As for what type of game, I'm throwing two votes in for Bristle, and one for Forgotten Realms.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

I keep reading 'Bristle' as 'Bristol' - I'm starting to annoy myself.

I hadn't really given much thought to character/class. I had thought of being a Druid, because I've never played that class before, but I'm also happy to just fill whatever holes are left. As long as that hole isn't Fighter, because I've tried playing a Fighter before and I hated it. Too much on-the-fly number crunching.

I'd also thought of being a Bard (because it has somehow become my favourite class) or a Paladin. I know Paladins can be unpopular, but I think I can play one properly (I'm married to one, so it shouldn't be that difficult).

Having said all that, I think it might depend on which campaign gets chosen. I think a Paladin would suit Ravenloft, but for the other two, I think a Rogue or Scout would be more useful... or a Bard for that matter. Drat, now I don't know what to do...
    Last edited by Lady Moreta; 2014-03-19 at 08:26 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

MindFlayer

So, Bristle it is, sounds good. I will post the 16 tonight or early tomorrow morning (Having a kid means I can never count on my sleep schedule.)

Looking forward to this, this will be my first time running my homebrew online.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Looking forward to this, this will be my first time running my homebrew online.
    That has me really excited!
    DMing:
    The Heroes of Jinshu - IC / OOC / Doc
    The Forge of Fury - IC / OOC / Doc
    The Maze of Shattered Souls - IC / OOC / Doc
    Stomping Ground - IC / OOC / Doc

27. - Top - End - #27

MindFlayer

System: Dungeons and Dragons 3.5

Player Count: 3-5 Depending on how many interesting characters I have in the pool

Style of Play: A nice mixture of everything.

Allowed Content:

All core books.
    All "complete" books ie. Complete warrior.
    Players handbook 2

Character Creation: Use books listed above, No lvl adjustments. Also, no subraces. An elf is an elf, a dwarf is a dwarf.

Backstory: A good back story is a must, but don't kill yourself doing so. Also, I need to know why each of you is guarding a wagon on it's way from Inglestahdt, (The capital) to the town of Bristle, a couple weeks travel to the south.

Experience: 1st lvl

Wealth: Standard.

Ability Scores: 4d6b3 x7 drop 2nd lowest, roll two sets and take the best one

Hitpoints/Health: Max first. Then roll.

Alignment: Any good.

Other Notes: If any of you are from places other then Bristle county, feel free to make up towns and such as you will. I only have county Bristle itself and the surrounding area made up. The capital is weeks to the north. (Bristle is kind of a backwater)Far to the south is a great desert. East is kind of unknown, (Chance for someone to make this up for me. You could be part of my history here. I run this setting IRL all the time.) To the west lies miles and miles of swamp until you reach a mountain range, then coast, with a big city.
    If any of you are from Bristle itself, or in that area let me know and I will message you a more detailed local area description in a message.
    Last edited by Centaur Hero; 2014-03-20 at 08:48 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Roll 1

(4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[14]

Roll 2

(4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[7]
    (4d6b3)[14]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

No expanded psionic? It would be cool if all the psychic classes are available.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Not actually doing anything serious, but just wanted to post a couple of links that Seeress might find useful.

How to use the forum dice roller.

The SRD - because I can't remember if you have the link or if you have the PHB at all. I have most of the Complete series if you want to take a look.

Eh, while I'm here...

Dice set one:
    Spoiler
    Show

(4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[18]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[9]

Dice set two:
    Spoiler
    Show

(4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[9]

Holy crap The dice roller loves me at the moment. Taking set one obviously... I'll come up with an actual character at some later point when I'm not sleepy and tired.
    Last edited by Lady Moreta; 2014-03-20 at 08:40 AM.