New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: True Heroes, IC

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default True Heroes, IC

A graveyard probably isn't the first place people most people would want to meet. Still, that might be for the best: anything to reduce the odds of being seen. A lone figure in a hooded black cloak stands in the moonlight among the gravestones, glancing about, as if waiting for people to arrive. Their breath fogging up slightly in the cold late winter night.

Spoiler
    Show
    This is the place you've been called to meet. Make a post to describe your characters arrival/presence in the graveyard.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: True Heroes, IC

A small form, discernable as a dragon mostly by the two wings sticking out of the masses of undyed wool that swath the creature, as if against bitter cold walks purposefully through the graveyard. It nods politely to the figure in the black cloak, then turns away to a nearby tombstone for a bit before taking an attitude of silent prayer.

Spoiler: Bluff check to act like I came here to pray for/to a deceased friend.
    Show
    This is certainly less interesting than my being here to join a group to topple a dark queen, so I get my racial bonus to bluff checks to tell any lie that is less interesting than the truth.
    (1d20+7)[14]
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2014-03-19 at 01:00 AM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Looking at first glance out-of-place in such an area of death, a celestial-armored figure approaches. An old cloak is drawn over its head and shoulders to prevent reflection, but occasionally a twinkle of shining metal makes itself known. A hand-and-a-half sword of cold iron hangs from its back and a silver warhammer dangles from its belt. A buckler covers its left arm and its left hand it clutches the handle of a small silver bell, as if for comfort.

The armored figure is wary and scans its surroundings. No breath issues forth from the visor of its helm. It seems unaffected by the nightly chill, although those with the ears to hear it would make out fervent mutters. Eventually it draws close to the hooded being in the center. A young dragon was inspecting the graves nearby, but those who paid close enough attention could tell that she was here for the same purpose and was just putting on appearances. Taking a cue from the young dragon, the new arrival begins inspecting the gravestones of those buried in the cemetery. There was no doubt that the meeting would begin soon.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive (for Martha): (1d20+4)[23]
    Last edited by Prehysterical; 2014-03-19 at 01:32 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

A dark blot flits over to near the dragon - a bit of purple visible for a moment before it pulls its robe closer.

"Chilly, isn't it..."
    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Sense Motive against Martha: (1d20+7)[14]
    Bluff, only relevant if the Sense Motive passes in which case I'll edit the bluff in: (1d20+12)[26]
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh my, yes. I think it might even rain tomorrow. Fredrick always did hate the rain."
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2014-03-19 at 10:27 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kruentus drops from the air, ashen wings folding back into a cloak as he surveyed who else came. Ah yes, plenty of dark cloaked figures, all of whom no doubt capable of terrible violence.... Wait, what the hell is that thing! It looks like a dragon had a baby with the sweaters his mother used to send him during paladin school.
    As everyone else was pretending that a midnight graveyard full of heavily armed strangers was just coincidence, he acquiesced to etiquette and and began studying the worn gravestones. One in particular caught his eye. Wait, that's his old name! He'd found his own!, no wait. They spelled it with an ae and not an i. Just someone with an incredibly similar name. Huh.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Ixen glided into the graveyard, dropping near the center of the group from about five feet up. Looking around he folded his wings back up and dusted his clothing off. He was dressed in a simple dark-red entertainer's outfit which his wings nicely folded into. As an afterthought he retrieved his ioun stone and sent it on it's orbit around his head. "Darkly hooded fellows looking veerry intently at some gravestones. Either I'm in the right place or I've stumbled into the oddest cabal of necromancers I've ever seen. If it's the latter I'll happily exit the same way I came in..." he said as he continued to look around.
    Spoiler: Those That Came Before
    Show
    Yohalles, the Wanderer
    Lonel, Gentleman Luck
    Jongo, God of Sea-Life

8. - Top - End - #8

After seeing so many new arrivals fly into the area, the knightly figure begins to show signs of unease. Eventually, it abandons the pretense of examining its surroundings and steps forward to speak with the hooded figure.

"Are all the souls called forth here required to fly? If that is so, I am afraid that I cannot accomplish that."

Its voice, when it speaks, is masculine and reverberates in an otherworldly manner, distorted further by its helm. Unlike the bone-chilling tone of a malignant ghost, however, it carries undertones of warmth and confidence.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, I don't think it's required, but wings do tend to be useful."
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #10

GnomeWizardGuy

She's right you know, they are quite useful. Ixen extended his left wing out to briefly scratch his nose. Although I'm not much of a flyer myself, more of a glider. With a few flaps of his wings Ixen flew thirty feet into the air and then started a slow descent, gliding circles around the group before finally coming to a stop right where he took off from.
    Last edited by The Bandicoot; 2014-03-20 at 09:43 PM.
    Show
    Yohalles, the Wanderer
    Lonel, Gentleman Luck
    Jongo, God of Sea-Life

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The cloaked figure looks about at the group, and speaks softly, "I had hoped more people would come, but this will have to do for now." Her voice is soft, but it carries, and she's easy to hear. "First off, I suppose I should answer your question: no, wings weren't required, though they do have many tactical applications. Anyways, you all know the basics of why your here. The Dark Mistress needs to be dealt with. As you know, she's conquered most of the continent. Recently, though, she's discovered that the temples of Ehlonna have been giving shelter and aid to some of those who continue to oppose her, as well as refugees from the cities she's done more significant damage to. I've recently discovered that she's sending groups into the woods, to try to infiltrate and corrupt the temple hierarchy. I'm hoping you all can stop her. The troops are moving through the woods 2 days from here, and with them is a man named Ordesiel Silvane. He's the one who can work the magic she needs to spread her corruption. Once you've slain him, the temple should be able to defend themselves." Suddenly, she speaks more firmly, and makes several motions with her hands. In front of her appears an illusory man, with ragged black hair, weathered skin, and piercing blue eyes. He's clad in a green robe with a simple rope belt. "This is him. I don't know how many soldiers they have, or how they're armed, but he'll almost certainly be well protected, and has powerful magic in his own right."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

"Well. A solid objective, at least. A single assassination, in the woods? Could be worse."
    My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

"Pardon me, but I couldn't help but overhearing... I suppose I might as well join you in this endeavor, however irregular it may be. I mean when faced with a choice between doing something a bit gauche and putting up with all this irregular behavior from people who were SUPPOSED to be heroes... well, its all just a mess, and really, what am I supposed to do?" the little be-sweatered dragon says with a tremble to her voice, wringing her claws a bit.
    Spoiler: Formatting note
    Show
    Using #AB6918 for the moment, but I might be continuing to work on it. I'd roll another bluff check, but I thought I couldn't easily access the modifier on my sheet, and then I'd posted and... well, even now I'm uncertain of I would get my racial bonus.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2014-03-31 at 04:28 PM.
    Extended Signature

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The cloaked figure nods. "Whatever your reasoning, I am glad to have you among us." She then glances at Hyacinth. "You're right, but...be careful. I don't know the full extent of Ordesiel's abilities. I don't know for sure that he does or doesn't have any sort of illusion magic available, or whether he has any other means of disguising himself."

15. - Top - End - #15

GnomeWizardGuy

"Now I don't know about the lot of you but truth be told I'm not a very sneaky kobold so "assassination" doesn't exactly work towards my skillset." He ponders a bit Then again I am very flashy so I could provide a decent distraction...
    Show
    Yohalles, the Wanderer
    Lonel, Gentleman Luck
    Jongo, God of Sea-Life

16. - Top - End - #16

"Once we have slain him, what comes next? Will we be able to bring battle to the Mistress? Every moment that we delay is one she uses to consolidate more power."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The figure hesitates, as if unsure what to say, "Perhaps...if we can, but...I'm not totally sure why the first heroes failed. I don't want to send you into the same situation they rushed into. While you fight Ordesiel, I'll be trying to gather more information. We can meet back here once you're done."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

"It's one step to success, even if we can't go further. Might we get going?"
    My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The figure nods. "Starting four days from now, I'll check back here every night, and meet you once you arrive. I'll be off." She begins to move away.

Spoiler
    Show
    Unless someone stops her, she'll go. TempestFury: you should probably introduce yourself soon.

20. - Top - End - #20

A large figure was approaching the party. Unlike many of the others, it did not fly, not did it come cloaked and hiding its appearance. Instead, it had a robe covering most of its body as is strode purposefully towards the group. As it approached, it could be judged that it was around 6"6' in height, and most likely weighed several hundred pounds. Its head was obviously draconic, but had an odd metal sheen to it, and his eyes was pure red. No pupils, no irises, just a block of pure red.

"Sorry for being late to the gathering, but a few people took issue to my appearance and I had to settle that matter before I could arrive here."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Martha looks at the late-comer with slightly more distain than she does the others.

"Well, I'm sure I could give you some tips on presenting a more prop-... that is to say a less obtrusive appearance?"
    Extended Signature

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

"You could at least have worn a hood..."
    My Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #23

GnomeWizardGuy

Hoods do tend to work quite well. Either that or find a way to make yourself seem amusing.....that's what I do. I come prancing and singing into town and everyone goes 'A dancing singing kobold? That's odd!' but nobody tries to kill me. Well, not the normal ones anyways.....
    Show
    Yohalles, the Wanderer
    Lonel, Gentleman Luck
    Jongo, God of Sea-Life

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

"Really? I'd have expected at least one would have done something just to shut you up."

But she's grinning as she says it.
    My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #25

"If we are all present, then we should make haste. If what she says is true, we must intercept this man as soon as possible."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The cloaked woman nods, "I don't expect anyone else to join us." She turns to Trygg, "For your sake, I'll repeat myself." She then tells him everything she told the others, concerning the Dark Mistress, Ordesiel, and their mission. She then turns to leave.

Spoiler
    Show
    I think it's pretty clear, but she's repeating everything from post 11, 14, and 19.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Martha follows, trying to act as if she isn't mortified by her own actions.
    Extended Signature

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Hyacinth keeps up.
    My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The cloaked woman turns to the two of them, "Er, I won't be with you. I have other things that I need to be doing. The woods are in that direction." She points. "It's a fairly straightforward journey. There's a road. I'll start checking back here in four days, which should be time to get there and back. Do you need something else from me before you set off?".

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

"Nope, sorry."
    And she loops off in the correct direction.
    My Homebrew