Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: True Heroes, IC

1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: True Heroes, IC

The woman smiles again, "The mistress looks after her soldiers. She has a thousand magicks at her beck and call."

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Martha senses tension from Hyacinth.

"What is going on?" she asks in her best 'spying on the neighbors together' whisper.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Another small sign, to avoid noise:
    Minions of Mistress have knife to child of guide. If we attack, foal dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #274
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Very well, then. You haven't ambushed us yet, so you have something you wish to tell us. Speak, then, and let us be done with it."

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Martha pokes her head out, very careful not to over-burden the one carrying her.

"I can be discrete in attack, but my range isn't that great... about from here to the far side of that blackberry bush?" she says softly, very slowly reaching out a claw past Hyacinth’s head to point.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Once again, the woman bares her teeth at the paladin, "It's simple. Return the prisoners you have taken, and all their goods to me."

7. - Top - End - #277

The paladin glowers at her behind its visor. "...Fine. But on the condition that you release the child first. I keep my word, but I don't trust yours."

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Hyacinth creeps to not-quite-directly-over the woman, and the sign changes.
    This is as close as I can get.
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Martha hardly dares breath. She keeps her response terse in the extreme.

"Can't actually. Wait."
    Extended Signature

10. - Top - End - #280

Trygg narrowed his eyes at the situation, trying to asses what to do. On the one hand, he had absolutely no intention of letting the innocent foal have her throat slit. On the other... he hand no more intention to give their prisoners over... especially not for just one live. With this in mind, he leaned in towards the Paladin, whispering. “Keep talking, I might be able to get the foal out safely without us handing over our prisoners.”

After this was said, Trygg stepped back in order to converse with the other warforged in the party, saying quietly. “Brother, if I get us behind her, do you think you would be able to disarm her of her weapon?” The dragonborn hoping that Dirt was better at close-quarter combat than him... “And do you think you can hide yourself from her behind me and the Paladin?”

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The woman responds to the Paladin, "That would work splendidly, if I trusted you. As we stand, though, you'll have to release two of your captives first."

12. - Top - End - #282

As the Paladin kept on talking, and Trygg waited for Dirt's reply, the dragonborn looked forwards. Quietly assessing the women's strength, trying to judge if his plan would be able to work or not. As he did not want the Dark Mistress to win... at all.

Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    Asses Opponent: (1d20+10)[28]

13. - Top - End - #283
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Dirt turns to the other warforged and nods, whispering a quiet Yes.
    Spoiler: Those That Came Before
    Show
    Yohalles, the Wanderer
    Lonel, Gentleman Luck
    Jongo, God of Sea-Life

14. - Top - End - #284

Trygg nodded and looked forwards, speaking quitely so both the Paladin and Dirt could hear him. "Right, here's the plan. I'm going to stand next to our wraith here, and Dirt will hide behind us, with a hand on me. We'll give them one of their prisoners back, but bound up, and have them cross our path. When he's blocked the women's though, I'll teleport myself and Dirt behind the women, and Dirt can then disarm her. Hopefully using a two-handed weapon as they tend to be better for disarms. After that, we fight, I'll get the foal out if she doesn't flee by herself. Any protests or problems?"

15. - Top - End - #285

Glancing back, the paladin shakes his head in plain denial. He says quietly, "Stop your plotting, dragonforged. If she suspects any treachery, the young one will die. We will hand over the prisoners and honor our word. If she betrays then, then I will gladly do battle."

Looking back, he shouts, "Ephien, step forward."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    It seems like a good plan, but the paladin wouldn't agree to it. If you want to do it, don't wait on the paladin's go-ahead. He'll just have to be mildly upset later and get over it.
    Last edited by Prehysterical; 2014-11-12 at 03:40 PM.

16. - Top - End - #286

Trygg narrowed his eyes at the Paladin, and glanced back at Dirt, with a hand behind himself he indicated for the druid to take his postion, even as he said calmly but quitely. "You forget who we are Paladin. Rebels fighting a desperate fight to stop an almighty power from conquring the world. If we take no risks, we shall surely fail." He was taking no risks however, and we ready to move even without the Paladin's agreement.

17. - Top - End - #287

GnomeWizardGuy

Dirt crouches behind the dragonforged and gently grasps his hand, holding his spear with his other hand and trying very desperately to look like a bush or something.

Hide Check
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+16)[26]
    Show
    Yohalles, the Wanderer
    Lonel, Gentleman Luck
    Jongo, God of Sea-Life

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ephien pauses for a moment following the Paladin's order, then stiffly walks toward the woman with the knife, ending up standing next to her, with the foal in between them. "Alright," the woman says, "That's one."

19. - Top - End - #289

Trygg waited paitently, waiting as Ephien moved forwards to join the woman, watching as he crossed his path to stand by her side, momentarily blocking her sight. This is when Trygg made his move just as he said he was. With a firm grip on Dirt, he stepped forwards... and warped space around him, moving the world around him so that he was repositioned behind the woman, with Dirt next to him... and next to the women where he could now disarm her. In his place, an image of himself stood, though it would not last for long.

20. - Top - End - #290

GnomeWizardGuy

Dirt immediately grips his spear with both hands and thrusts forward, attempting to catch the woman in the lower arm or hand to disarm her of her dagger.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+12)[16]
    Show
    Yohalles, the Wanderer
    Lonel, Gentleman Luck
    Jongo, God of Sea-Life

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Dirt's spear haft connects with the woman's fingers, she cries out and the dagger clatters to the crowd. Her head turns to the warforged behind her, Ephien smirks, and the foal gives a startled shout.

Spoiler
    Show
    I think everyone who hasn't rolled initiative yet should do so. I think the best course of action is to treat Trygg and Dirt as having acted in the surprise round, and go from there.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Martha gets out of the pack and flies to line up her shot on the two big monsters.
    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    If I can get them lined up and not hit any allies, then they are getting the breath weapon. Two separate DC 15 Will saves. No effect on pass in either case (but still have to roll both). Failing the first results in 1 point of Intelligence Drain, failing the second results in 1 point of Charisma Drain.
    Extended Signature

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

If the monsters Martha attacks feel the effects of her breath weapon, they give no sign of it. Each stands as it did before.

The disarmed woman spins, and, seeing Trygg and Dirt behind her, curses, and takes a step backward. "So I was right not to trust you. Paricorea, desmodiveldi! With her final words, she brandishes a dark spiral that had been hanging hidden beneath her cloak, and a glowing yellow dagger appears before her. It strikes out at the druid of its own volition, but it fails to penetrate his ironwood body. The woman draws another dagger from the folds of her cloak.

Spoiler
    Show

For reference, the woman took a 5-ft. step to get out of Dirt's reach, and the force dagger is in the square she was occupying.

Prehysterical, it's your turn, then more NPCs.

Spoiler: map
    Show
    ! A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z @ # $
    7 Adult Centaur
    8 Martha + 30'
    9 Archer Ephien Centaur Child Trygg
    10 Sword-Guy Paladin Woman & (Hyacinth + 30') Force dagger Dirt Grey Monster 2
    11 Blonde Woman Grey Monster 1
    13 Jopin
    Last edited by GameSpawn; 2014-11-23 at 06:01 PM.

24. - Top - End - #294

There is no time to full comprehend what had just happened. The only thing left was to seize the initiative.

The paladin thunders forward, his sword aglow with holy light. "Run child!"

Show
    Charge, +2 attack, -2 AC (20)
    first use of holy smite
    attack: (1d20+15)[23]
    damage: (1d10+8)[15]
    improved smite damage: (1d6)[2]
    crit: (1d20+15)[31]
    crit damage: (1d10)[6]
    1 point of Str damage

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The paladin's blade crashes into the woman, and she cries out in pain. Ephien looks at the woman, sizing up the situation, then turns and moves away from the fighting.

Spoiler
    Show
    Trygg and Hyacinth, it's your turn, then more NPCs (why did I put so many NPCs into play!?!?).

Show
    4 Ephien
    7 Adult Centaur
    8 Martha + 30'
    9 Archer Centaur Child Trygg
    11 Blonde Woman Grey Monster 1
    13 Jopin

26. - Top - End - #296

Trygg didn't wait around, moving forwards and placing a hand on the centaur foal, he quickly stepped back into the space between realities, shifting the world around him so they were standing next to the adult centaur, the one that had brought them here.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

A rash action, but it seems to have worked. Better to stay hidden, though.
    Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    Making a sniping attempt on the woman (one ranged attack, then hide with -20).
    Using a Heavy Crossbow, within Point Blank range (+1 attack and damage, already added in), my augments haven't changed (+1 Corrosive Magebane).
    Attack: (1d20+19)[24]+2 if she's a spellcaster, has arcane SLAs, etc.
    Damage: (1d6+2)[6] piercing + (1d6)[1] acid (2d6)[6] if she's a spellcaster (Magebane)
    Hide check: (1d20-7)[0] (that's 13 from ranks plus Dex mod, minus 20 from having just attacked)
    My Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Breathweapon reload time
    Show
    Not that this breathweapon is much use in the hands of a PC except for drawing Aggro from spellcasters...
    (1d4)[4]
    Extended Signature

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Hyacinth's bolt catches the woman, and she gasps as the shadowy energy breaks apart, but the wound doesn't seem any worse than the bolt and acid could account for. She looks up, and Hyacinth can feel the woman's eyes upon her briefly.

The young centaur makes good on Trygg's command, bolting for the forest. A moment later, its father follows, and both disappear into the woods. The blonde woman, apparently decides Ephien has the right idea, and begins running in the opposite direction. Jopin produces a dagger from his cloak and brandishes it in front of him, but otherwise does nothing, apparently not eager to join the fighting.

On the other side of the battlefield, the grey monsters charge forward, attacking the person nearest them: Dirt. As they approach the druid, he can see that they are truly hideous creatures, with blood filling them near to bursting. Both slam their fists into him, hammering at him with bloated arms.

The would be archer, now without his bow, rushes Trygg, and punches him in the face. The swordsman glances about at his scattering companions, but does nothing.

Show
    Dirt: You take 9 and 12 damage from the creatures, and then you and Prehysterical get to act. Trygg, you take 8 points nonlethal damage (before DR).

Show
    4 Ephien
    7 <- Centaurs Trygg
    8 Archer Martha + 30'
    11 <- Blonde Woman Grey Monster 1
    13 Jopin

30. - Top - End - #300

The paladin swings again, hoping to put the woman down before she can cause more damage.
    Show
    attack roll: (1d20+9)[28]
    damage roll: (1d10+4)[12]
    crit: (1d20+9)[22]
    crit confirm: (1d10)[5]