New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: True Heroes, IC

1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: True Heroes, IC

"Very well then, I'll lead you all into the temple." He makes good on his words, walking towards the temples great wooden doors. He throws them open, revealing a great open interior lit by a series of heatless flames and phosphorescent fungi. At a large table in the middle of the room sit a group of 10 beleaguered looking people in traveler's clothes. Two women in garb similar to the first priest are speaking with the group. After the door opens, the group quiets down, looking at the newcomers. The man gestures to Trygg and the Paladin, "These good sirs would like to speak with you." He then turns to the rest of the group, "If you could bring your prisoners with me, I'm sure we can figure something out."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming everyone follows the priest inside (if not, ignore everything after he opens the doors I guess). Besides that, I just need to know if everyone besides Trygg and the Paladin are taking the prisoners down with the priest.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

Martha continues to remain still in Trygg's backpack.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

Hyacinth follows along with the prisoners, alternately peeking around corners and checking behind the group.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #364

"Good day to you all." Trygg said coolly as he stepped into the room where the group was situated. His talking was just a distraction however, as he drew upon his patron's gifts in order to see what magic there might be in the room. "I trust you have all had a pleasant day so far?"

5. - Top - End - #365
    Firbolg in the Playground

The paladin is silent, as he instead searches the room for any taint of evil.
    Spoiler: Gamespawn
    Show
    If the paladin detects any evil, he'll focus on it for enough rounds until he is satisfied with his inspection.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Trygg detects no magic among the refugees, or the other two women at the table. The Paladin, however, finds that one of the refugees, a small man with pale skin and light brown hair, has a faint aura of evil.

The priest leads Hyacinth with the prisoners through another door and down through a series corridors, made of wood and dirt. As he does, he grabs a heatless torch from the wall, and carries it with him. He eventually comes to a number of cells, with stone floors and wooden doors. He gestures to them, "They should be secure in here."

Spoiler: Hipho
    Show
    Is Dirt going with Hyacinth and the prisoners?

7. - Top - End - #367
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Dirt follows Hyacinth, standing behind the prisoners and keeping his spear at the ready.
    Spoiler: Those That Came Before
    Show
    Yohalles, the Wanderer
    Lonel, Gentleman Luck
    Jongo, God of Sea-Life

8. - Top - End - #368

Trygg kept his sense on the people in front of him for a few moments longer, before letting it drop. He kept his expression calm as he waited patiently for a reply. Quietly however, he spoke to the Paladin next to him, saying. "I can't find any magic on the people of this chamber. So it is unlikely that anyone is hiding who they are from your sight."

9. - Top - End - #369

Stepping forward, the paladin marches over to the brown-haired man. Its eyes steadily regard him.

"Who are you? What evil has brought you here?"

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The man shrinks back under the Paladin's gaze, but before saying anything a similar looking woman next to him steps forward, speaking sharply, "He's my brother is who he is, not that it's any of your business; he's a refugee same as the rest of us, running from the dark mistress." The brown haired man twitches slightly, but says nothing.

11. - Top - End - #371

"Easy there, easy." Trygg said, stepping forwards in an attempt to defuse the situation, positioning himself between the two of them as he told the women. As he passed by the sword-wraith, he said quitely. "Play along." He likely wasn't the most comforting figure, a robed and hooded person, but he still tried to display gentle body language as he said to the women. "I must apologize for my companion's rashness. He's a Paladin you see, and unfortunately he's one of the 'SMITE ALL EVIL DOWN' types. I manage to keep him in check most of the time, but he's still pretty agressive as you can see yourself."

Turning to the cowed male, Trygg's voice hardened somewhat as he said. "Now, a Paladin has the ability to see into the hearts of others and see if they hold evil inside of it. I'm not sure how it works, or how much evil you might carry, but he's seen some in your heart. I would prefer if you are willing to share why you might have this inside of you. If you don't, then I'm afraid I will have to let my Paladin friend here... take care of you." Hopefully the sword-wraith was smart enough to be scary and threatening.
    Last edited by Tempestfury; 2015-02-18 at 02:01 PM.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The man shrinks back, but he speaks in a harsh whisper, "People always say I'm no good. But everyone's the same. Everyone just wants to get theirs. I just do what everyone else would do if they had the guts."

13. - Top - End - #373

The paladin leans forward, its yellow eyes glowing in the sockets of its helm. Its voice echoes metallically.

"And what, pray tell, does that include? Perhaps a change of allegiance?

Death is coming to this temple. Lives are at stake, and you might know something that can stop it."

Spoiler: Intimidate
    Show
    (1d20+8)[10]

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The man shakes his head, "No man has allegiance but to himself. I wouldn't work for the mistress anymore than I'd work for you."

15. - Top - End - #375

"In that, your wrong." Trygg said, not sure whenever or not he should pity the man for his view. "Would Paladin's exist if everyone served themselves? Would heroes exist if they only served themselves? And don't think of bringing up those who joined the Dark Mistress. They get up the title of hero when they betrayed us all. True heroes serve the people. If you honestly believe that everyone serves no one but themselves... then I pity you."

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

Before the prisoners are locked up, Hyacinth searches their cells for anything that might be used in escaping.

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Untrained Search: (1d20+3)[9]
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The cell is largely empty. There's a straw bed, a chamber-pot, and a small wooden seat that is secured to the wall. The priest puts the prisoners in the cell, then moves back up toward the entrance room, where the group returns to find the ongoing conversation.

In response to Trygg's comments, the man frowns slightly and pauses, as if trying to decide on an appropriate reply, "Even if I am wrong, I haven't done anything for the dark mistress."

18. - Top - End - #378

The paladin straightens up and says, "If you have not pledged yourself to her service, then you are not beyond help. But I do not have time to comfort your inadequacies or belay your doubts. There is work that needs doing, and you need time to think about how presence affects the cosmos."

Walking away, the paladin approaches the priest. "Is this all of them? Surely, there must be more."

In the back of the paladin's mind, a faint suspicion begins gnawing...
    Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    (1d20+4)[21]

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The priest nods in response to the Paladin's query, "There are two more, out patrolling the area. We don't usually spend much time patrolling, but what with recent events, a few groups have been set up."

Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    So far as either of you can tell, he's on the level.

20. - Top - End - #380

“When will they return?” Trygg asked, a slight bit of concern at the voice. If the corrupt were the ones on patrol, then it could be all to easy for them to smuggle more of their friends inside with them... the warforged going on to ask. “And what to they look like?”

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

Hyacinth returns to the rest of the group:
    "Prisoners penned up, and the cells seem secure - wait. Are you..."
    She pauses to think.
    There is such a thing as being too paranoid, you know. Even if you're too "righteous" for her to turn, that doesn't mean you can't be differently awful, Paladin or not. Give people a chance to do things right before going after them for thinking wrong."
    My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #382

The paladin glares at the fairy. "'Evil prevails when good men stand aside and do nothing.' The reason that the Mistress is even a threat now is due to evil being allowed to grow and fester in the hearts of men. I must find wickedness and tear it out by the roots when I can. I may have been given the gift of healing, but my purpose is to destroy evil."

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The refugees look slightly uncomfortable at the disagreement between the sword-wraith and Hyacinth. The subject of their discussion slinks back slightly, moving next to his sister.

The priest, for his part, answers Trygg, "They should be checking in an hour; they're out with one of our temple guards." He pauses for a moment, "They look...well, they're both wild elves. They look...like wild elves, I suppose? Black hair, light skin, on the short side."

24. - Top - End - #384

GnomeWizardGuy

Dirt steps forward A wise man first attacks the evil inside himself before looking at the evil in others he says, eyeing the paladin, and I would rather have a modicum of proof beyond your feelings before blood is spilled on holy ground. he sighs and bends down, running his hands over the grass. Blood does not easily wash away from the soil.
    Last edited by The Bandicoot; 2015-02-23 at 06:51 PM.
    Show
    Yohalles, the Wanderer
    Lonel, Gentleman Luck
    Jongo, God of Sea-Life

25. - Top - End - #385

Now outrage fills the paladin's voice. Its voice sounds as if it was coming from beyond the veil. "WHAT EVIL?! I was raised by the Lady, expunged from the sins of my previous life! Only holy purpose drives my arm! And what bloodshed do you speak of? Did my sword ring forth from its scabbard? Jopin was kept in evil company, and yet I gave him a chance. This is this man's chance. I give a chance for absolution before I carry out my duty. After all, am I not walking proof of such a thing?" It holds its arms out dramatically in indication.
    Last edited by Prehysterical; 2015-02-23 at 07:07 PM.

26. - Top - End - #386

GnomeWizardGuy

You speak of tearing roots from ground friend, I do not speak of bloodshed in the past tense. I speak of that which you might make come to pass he stands up straightly and looks the paladin dead in the eyes. If your duty involves tearing by the roots that which does not harm but does not grow according to your 'holy purpose' than how are you better than that which you fight?
    Last edited by The Bandicoot; 2015-02-23 at 07:48 PM.
    Show
    Yohalles, the Wanderer
    Lonel, Gentleman Luck
    Jongo, God of Sea-Life

27. - Top - End - #387

"Evil is harmful. A single noxious weed will choke out an entire garden and starve a family, given time. The man has not committed an offense -yet-, but do not think that I will turn a blind eye to it. I am not fool enough to expect every man, woman, and child to walk the path of righteousness, but I can tell you with certainty that a man that carries that taint within him is no friend to his neighbors.

I do not harm. I bring an end to suffering. As I have already told you, I will not condemn him without evidence. But do not expect me to stay my hand if it proves necessary to dispense justice."
    A mailed fist raises to its chest in conviction. "I am not lukewarm in my dedication."

28. - Top - End - #388

Trygg relaxed at the description of the two, as the women they faced earlier was not an elf of any sort. They would of noticed the ears if she was. Still, this meant he had to turn his attention to his comrades and their bickering. “Evil also wins when good people stand around arguing.” Trygg put in, albeit a little dryly. “We’re all on the same side here, so lets not argue.... too much”

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

After about an hour, there is a commotion outside. Shortly, two wild elf men and a human woman in leather armor and a dark green burst into the temple, clearly out of breath. One of the elves is bleeding from a cut on his face. "We found the camp," the second elf begins, "but they saw us and they've started moving. They had a large group, but they could still be here in a couple hours."

30. - Top - End - #390

Trygg had been waiting patiently at the temple. The Warforged long used to just sitting and waiting idly, allowing the hours to slip by. Despite being a dragonborn now, his construct traits still remains so he need not sleep. When the patrol came, Trygg was quick to his feet and approached the three, asking. “Do you have a rough estimate of their numbers?” His mind already thinking of plans to defend the temple. Though first he needed to know if they could stay and fight.