New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: True Heroes, IC

1. - Top - End - #541
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: True Heroes, IC

Martha flies towards the fire, about 500 feet up (at least until she sees what she can see during a fly-over). She has no particular concerns about being spotted at this point, but is wary of attack (thus the altitude).

Spoiler: Scent
    Show
    Not really. Was just listing off sensory abilities in case any of them mattered.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The guard leads Hyacinth down to the bottom of the temple. Shortly, he is joined by a young man in robes. The man pulls out a wooden depiction symbol of a unicorn, then speaks firmly, "Cosipia, entialiti. Zitai. Vesia." The guard then begins questioning the prisoner, speaking harshly, but not making any threats, veiled or otherwise.

By the time he finishes, Hyacinth is learned the following; there are only a few more of the mistress's operatives in the area. They are stationed to the North. He was trying to get back there. He joined the Dark Mistress because it seemed like the best way to secure protection for him and his family. The guard turns to Hyacinth, "Is there anything else you'd like to ask."

As Martha flies closer to the smoke, she can see that it stems from a large clearing with some temporary fortifications surrounding it. She can see people milling about, but can't make out much more detail.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes. What do you know of Ordesiel Silvane? When was he to arrive?"
    As she asks, she fiddles with an assortment of conjured objects - things with points, edges, hooks, nothing lasting long enough to focus on - it's practically rote at this point, and it shows; she's not even looking at them.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Sense Motive: (1d20+7)[10]
    Intimidate: (1d20+4)[21]
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GameSpawn View Post
    As Martha flies closer to the smoke, she can see that it stems from a large clearing with some temporary fortifications surrounding it. She can see people milling about, but can't make out much more detail.
    Martha continues on for a while before turning around, studying for landmarks the whole while to avoid getting lost on her way back to first the fortification, and then the backpack where her flight began.

She lands, checks on her potions, and then starts walking casually back towards the fortifications, trying to find one of the sentries or perhaps someone gathering wood, berries, water, or hunting or whatever.

"A bit of polite conversation, should be right up my alley." she thinks to herself.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The prisoner sweats nervously, and the guard looks at Hyacinth disapprovingly but says nothing. The prisoner replies to her question, "Ordesiel? He's...um...he's at the base; I don't know what he's planning next." If he's lying or holding anything back, Hyacinth can't tell.

An armored guard with a spear on his back and a crossbow in hand spots Martha. He levels the crossbow at Martha before speaking a single word, "Halt!"

6. - Top - End - #546
    Titan in the Playground

Hyacinth nods curtly, notices what was in her hands - "Oh, I'm sorry." - and the miscellaneous sharp things fade away. "Did you or any of the rest of your team have any way of sending a message back to your superiors, your base, your allies? Has one been sent that you know of? What was your goal in attacking this place, as far as you are aware?"
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #547
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm haltin', I'm haltin'. Good {morning/afternoon/etc}, to you. My name is Martha, at your service."
    Extended Signature

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The prisoner takes a deep breath, "Ordesiel has some way of contacting the priestess. I don't know what it is, if he's contacted her, or if he even knows what happened here. Sometimes, the Dark Mistress takes a lock of hair or something from her officers and they say she uses it to keep an eye on them. I don't know...maybe she already saw what happened here." He pauses and takes another breath, I guess we've been targeting other churches a lot when spreading the Mistress's words. I don't know why."

The guard keeps his crossbow aimed at Martha, "What is your business here?"

9. - Top - End - #549
    Titan in the Playground

"Just meeting the neighbors! I'm considering lairing nearby you see, and I wanted to see what the neighborhood was like. Avoid places with rowdy parties or knights... err... meaning the dragon-slaying sort of knights, of course! I've found a nice place dug out under the roots of a big oak tree, but I thought I should have a look around before I started hanging the curtains on the walls."
    Extended Signature

10. - Top - End - #550
    Titan in the Playground

Hyacinth looks to the guard: "I have no more questions."
    My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Alright then," the guard replies to Hyacinth. "If you think of something else, we can always ask him again." He turns to lead Hyacinth back upstairs.

The guard considers for a moment, then speaks in a threatening tone, "We only kill dragons if they get in our way. Or if they oppose The Mistress. Is that going to be you?"

12. - Top - End - #552
    Titan in the Playground

"No no! Not at all!" says Martha, but she is sufficiently scared she allows herself a small confession to throw the guard off the scent "I might take up sheep snatching from farmers when I'm old enough, but it would be terribly impolite to do that without dropping the head of a wolf or two off to show I don't mean anything unneighborly by it. Wool from a snatched sheep always has something special about it for the knitting, or so my older sister always used to tell me.

Come to that I suppose I could practice on geese and foxes respectively... meaning instead of sheep and wolves. Of course, I've no use for a goose other than the meat, but if your fletchers needed... Err! No insult intended, I'm sure you are perfectly capable of doing your own marauding! Never meant to imply otherwise!
    "
    Extended Signature

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The guard snaps impatiently at Martha, "We don't mean to wait around until you're old enough. Be off with you."

14. - Top - End - #554
    Titan in the Playground

"And a very good day to you as well." says Martha, politely, as if there were nothing at all brusque, let alone rude about the guard's behavior. She turns and walks away, trying to think of what hills she has seen (or alternatively rivers she could skim over) that would let her fly back to the rendezvous point without giving its direction (and thus the direction to the temple also) away without too much risk of getting lost.
    Extended Signature

15. - Top - End - #555
    Titan in the Playground

After leaving, Hyacinth goes to find the paladin. "You were looking for something about a bit of blonde hair? I was just questioning the prisoner, and he said something that might be relevant... it doesn't quite fit, though."
    My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #556
    Firbolg in the Playground

The paladin looks at the pixie with surprise. "Well, yes. If they bothered to carry it around, the woman (or man) must have some importance. What is it that doesn't seem right?"

17. - Top - End - #557
    Titan in the Playground

"He said that sometimes, the Mistress takes hair from an officer, and they say it's to 'keep an eye on them'. But the hair you found wasn't with her."
    My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #558

The paladin considers this information. "...Is it possible that she could have been a defector?"

19. - Top - End - #559
    Titan in the Playground

"Anything's possible."

Hyacinth returns to her watch.
    My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Although Martha tries to go out of her way, she soon finds it hard to keep track of where she's heading and isn't confident that she'd throw off anyone watching her. Nonetheless, she makes it to her destination without incident; if anyone is watching, she doesn't see them.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Titan in the Playground

Martha greets her ally and mentions that she might have been followed if she sees an ally.* If not, she just gets into the backpack.

*((Sorry for the minimalism here, may edit later if I feel up to it.))
    Extended Signature

22. - Top - End - #562

After a while, the paladin goes to check on the bag. Upon Martha's warning, he looks around warily before heading back to the temple.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Titan in the Playground

Martha relaxes in the backpack.
    Extended Signature

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

After several hours, the sun begins to set; the guard approaches the party members, "We've got some guest rooms in the temple, but with all of you and the refugees, some people are going to need to sleep on the floor. Given your assistance in protecting the temple, I figured I'd give you the rooms nearest the entrance; just in case there's an attack, you'll be closest to the action."

25. - Top - End - #565

"I have no need for sleep. I shall continue my vigil. My eyes will see their burning souls like candles in the darkness long before they reach this place."

26. - Top - End - #566
    Titan in the Playground

"I think they've probably already got a watch set up. If you really don't need any rest, it's probably better to supplement that."

Then, to the guard:
    "I'm sure I don't need to say I don't need a bed - but I might be able to provide at least a thin roll-out mattress for a few other people. Never tried keeping the stuff going asleep, though."
    My Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The guard hesitates after the paladin's declaration, "Uh, alright."

After Hyacinth speaks, he nods wholeheartedly, "Yes, that's right; we'll have two guards on patrol, and an alarm set around the temple at all times. If you could stay with them, we'd appreciate that." Turning to Hyacinth, he continues, "Well, if you don't mind sleeping with the refugees, I'm sure they'd appreciate the extra layer between the the floor and them."

28. - Top - End - #568
    Titan in the Playground

Hyacinth nods, bobbing slightly for visibility.
    My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The refugees look on in awe as Hyacinth produces a mattress from nothing, and if any of them have a problem sleeping on it, there are enough that aren't that it is immediately filled.

Outside, the Paladin sees the glow of life from a number of forest creatures moving around in the night, but after a few hours he notices one light isn't moving. It centers on something he can't quite see, some distance from the temple.

30. - Top - End - #570

Turning to one of the temple guards, the paladin remarks, "I see something suspicious out there. I will go investigate. Stay at your post."

The paladin moves forward, senses peeled for an ambush.
    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Listen: (1d20+3)[14]
    Spot: (1d20+3)[11]
    Last edited by Prehysterical; 2016-03-19 at 01:06 PM.