Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: True Heroes, IC

1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: True Heroes, IC

"Well then. Hand over any casting implements before we set out - I wouldn't trust you even if I could throw you."

She points at the ground with one hand, covering them with a crossbow with her other hand.

"Quickly now, before I start to think you're not being straight with us."
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The man hesitates for a minute, then sighing, reaches for a belt pouch, which he throws down in front of him. He reaches into a pocket in his cloak. Wincing slightly, he removes something from the pocket, and presents a twisted black branch, with some manner of thorns, which he throws down on top of the pouch. "There you go."

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Martha puts up her toothbrush and moves back to the group.

"So, what next?" she asks in a monotone.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Firbolg in the Playground

Before this continued any further, an important question had to be answered.

"What is your name? I will know you before I trust this mission to you."

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Am I on a mission?" The summoner tilts his head, as if confused. "My name is Ephien."

6. - Top - End - #186

The paladin leans forward meaningfully.

"Indeed you are, Ephien. You and your companions will accompany us as we put a stop to Silvane's plans. Do this, and you will all be considered redeemed.

Think carefully on this. If we had been servants of the Mistress, do you think you would still be breathing? Do you truly wish to serve a power that cares nothing for the lives of others? Believe me when I say this, Ephien: if the Mistress has her way, we all will suffer for it. Even you, and her."
    Its helm nods at the unconscious blonde woman.
    Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    (1d20+9)[24]
    Last edited by Prehysterical; 2014-07-31 at 07:46 PM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ephien laughs softly, "It will most likely be as you say. But most like I shall suffer regardless. I signed on with the mistress to ease my suffering, not eliminate it."

8. - Top - End - #188

Somehow, despite having no muscles, the paladin's limbs tremble with rage.

"Do you wish to know why She is so powerful? How she has accomplished so much," it shouts. The unearthly echo is more pronounced now. "Because people like you," it points angrily, "think about what is easiest. It's easier to submit, easier to just stand by and watch as evil things happen to good people, easier to think only about yourself and care nothing for the suffering of others. The Mistress is a puppeteer, nothing more. Without supporters, without thralls, She has no power. All She knows is how to tug the strings of temptation, how to make things "easy". If you would just take up arms and fight, make the difficult decision just once, then you could make more of an impact than you can imagine! One spark is all it takes to light a fire, and She has been foolish enough to douse herself in the oil of tyranny. I can only do so much. You have to decide if you value freedom over slavery."

Shaking its head, it turns and walks over to Jopin. Its head is now held low, as if ashamed. "I am sorry for ignoring you, Jopin, my friend. Are you well," it asks quietly.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

For a moment, Ephien seems almost cowed, but it passes quickly, and he calls after the Paladin, "Plenty fought. They are dead. If I had fought, I would be dead too. I did not make the choice between slavery and freedom. I made the choice between the slavery of the mistress and the slavery of the abyss. Unless you think everyone who dies will be so lucky as you were."

Jopin, having watched the entire exchange in timid silence, takes several moments before replying to the Paladin, "I...I er...I am...unharmed."
    Last edited by GameSpawn; 2014-07-31 at 09:59 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190

Gently, the paladin places a gauntleted hand on the man's shoulder. A smile is present in its voice that cannot exist on its face. "I knew that you were a good man, Jopin. I had faith in you. But now, things have become more dangerous for you. Where we are going, the temple... there will trouble. I would not blame you if you were to go home now."

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jopin seems to consider the paladin's words before speaking, "Quite frankly, these woods are my home. At the very least, I can lead you to the temple."

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes, well, I'm sure such matters are quite beyond a simple dragon like myself. As long as you have the decency to leave out any mention of my involvement in this whole mess to anyone, especially my friends, relations, and acquaintances, I believe you and I shall get along just swimmingly dearie."

She turns to the person who was carrying her before. "I believe I should like to return to your pack now if that is all the same to you."
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jopin starts for a moment, then concludes Martha's first comment is directed at him, "Er. Um. Yes. Naturally, I will do as you ask. I'm pleased to make your acquaintance."

Spoiler: Trygg
    Show
    Trygg, I believe you were the one carrying Martha before the fight.

14. - Top - End - #194

Trygg was tempted to stay out of the debate, to leave the guy to his own opinion. However, he disliked how he said if he had fought he would of died, so he chose slavery over the risk of death. That got on Trygg’s nerves as he moved to address him.

“I’m sure you know the stories... Of how we sent ‘heroes’ to fight against the Dark Mistress, only to join her and fight in her army. Do you think she would of won if they had thought? Do you think she would of won if all of the nations of the world stood against her, instead of so many of them joining her? You say if you fought, you would of died. But if you had fought, and people like you had fought. The Dark Mistress would not have won. Now it falls to those of the shadows to take her down.”

The Dragonborn stepped back away from their ‘accomplice’. His piece was done, for now he instead turned to the dragon once more, simply nodding his acceptance to carry her. He would not tire.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Martha returns to the backpack and arranges it as it was before.
    Extended Signature

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

"I wouldn't be too sure that if everyone had fought, we'd have won. Can't deny she's tough."

"That's just no excuse. You don't just abandon hope. What's the point, if you do? They were supposed to be the heroes, and they quit. They left their job unfinished, and someone's got to do it, or everything stays even more unbalanced than it was before they started."
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The summoner doesn't seem especially moved by their arguments, but he says, "There are many 'ifs' in the world. If we had defeated you in battle, we would continue on our mission. As things stand now, however, I will assist you in what ways I can. The flower is right though; the Mistress has many powers of her own and many ways of bending people to her will. I would not presume too much."

18. - Top - End - #198

The paladin regards the summoner. "Is there any chance that we could put your comrades on top of the cart? I did not lie when I said that we needed to make it to the forest before nightfall."

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

He shrugs, "Do as you must. However, before we depart, I must heal myself, so as not to fall dead throughout this journey. May I presume that if begin working my magic, none of you will take the opportunity to attack me?"

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

"Acceptable."

Spoiler: Readied action
    Show
    To shoot for nonlethal (-4 on the attack roll) if he casts a spell with no healing visible within two rounds (twelve seconds). Paranoia incarnate? I don't think so.

Note that if his wounds are such that I wouldn't be able to see them healed, scratch that and replace with "casts an offensive spell."
    My Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #201

"We will not attack you for healing yourself, simply for trying to escape. And we will know if you try to cast a none healing spell." Trygg said, carefully keeping his gaze on the summoner, ready to strike against him in case he tried to betray their trust... one could never be to sure with a person like this.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

This appears to satisfy the summoner; he begins his chant, "Encorellia. Mosipheeli." and his wounds begin to undo themselves.

23. - Top - End - #203

Satisfied, the paladin gently picks up the blonde woman and places her on the cart.

"Ephien, give me a hand with your compatriots. Jopin, could you please assist us?"

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ephien gives a sort of half smile, "As you wish," he replies dryly, and moves to assist the Paladin. Silently, Jopin moves to help out as well.

25. - Top - End - #205

Trygg decided it would be best to simply keep watch for any threats, as the Paladin, Jopin and the summoner were sorting everything else out.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

After they finish loading their captives into the cart, and resume their westward journey, the group reaches the forest without incident. The towering trees are clearly ancient, and they can hear the sounds of birds and other wildlife throughout. The road they have been following narrows to a much smaller path, about 10 ft. across. It's well enough maintained that they can travel it without issue, even with the cart, but if they venture more than a few feet off, the wood quickly becomes an impediment, though it wouldn't be impassable.

Spoiler: Prehysterical
    Show
    With Life Sense, you see a strange pattern of shadows of light, consistent with many small creatures moving about in the vegetation.

27. - Top - End - #207

The paladin regards Jopin as they travel.

"How much further is a defensible clearing? I suspect that some among us may need some rest before the trials ahead."
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The paladin is in the front of the group alongside Jopin.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jopin keeps pace with the Paladin, "Well, I don't know much about defensible, but there's a clearing about quarter of a mile that way," he gestures into the woods, "and there's another clearing where this road another, about a mile from here."

29. - Top - End - #209

The armored figure nods.

"The closer one should do. We must make sure that we are all well-rested, for the morrow may be dangerous for us all."

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Hyacinth yawns.
    "Yes, that sounds like a good idea."
    My Homebrew