New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: OOTS By Page Count

Alright, Stupid Question Time. As peeps might be aware, digital PDfs of the books are now being made (presuming the first two are successful).

The page count of the PDFs and physical books are exactly the same. However, as one of the perks, in Dungeon Crawlin' Fools a blank page was converted to a full page of commentary. This doesn't affect the "Basic Block" but it does affect the Advanced Block:

Advanced Blocks

Compilation Books as of 999 and Blood Runs in the Family
    Book Online Strips Online Pages* Bonus Strips Chapters Commentary Pages** Other Xtras*** Total Pages
    DCF
    NCftPB
    W&XP
    DStP
    BRitF
    Book 6
    ???
    ???
    ???
    ???
    ???

Namely the numbers for Commentary Pages and Other Xtras would each be adjusted by +1 and -1 respectively.

The Stupid Question is... How should the existence of the PDFs affect the charts, if at all? I suppose I could start introduce a whole new block for the PDFs, but that seems overkill. Alternatively, I suppose I could see if I could break those two columns with physical and PDF subcatagories. Or I could just ignore the whole thing. The latter option annoys me on some level though.

So, thoughts on how to handle the PDFs? At the moment, it's a minor difference. But even a minor difference might want to be addressed in the charts.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Advanced Blocks

Compilation Books as of 999 and Blood Runs in the Family
    DCF (pdf)
    8.5 (9.5)
    6 (5)
    Would something along these lines work?

Peelee’s Lotsey

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

The Stupid Question is... How should the existence of the PDFs affect the charts, if at all? I suppose I could start introduce a whole new block for the PDFs, but that seems overkill. Alternatively, I suppose I could see if I could break those two columns with physical and PDF subcatagories. Or I could just ignore the whole thing. The latter option annoys me on some level though.

So, thoughts on how to handle the PDFs? At the moment, it's a minor difference. But even a minor difference might want to be addressed in the charts.
    Take a page out of Wrecan's book, and add "(+1)" in the colour of your choosing to the relevant columns. Then put a note in the NOTES, and call it a day (although you're getting to the point of ridiculeness in the notes asterisk count, so maybe convert it into a full FAQ?).

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2015-08-27 at 09:40 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Would something along these lines work?
    Hmmm. Hadn't considered that. Yes, something along those ideas might work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Take a page out of Wrecan's book, and add "(+1)" in the colour of your choosing to the relevant columns.
    Also an interesting idea, though I'd want to pair it with a "(-1)" for the other column(s) affected.

although you're getting to the point of ridiculeness in the notes asterisk count, so maybe convert it into a full FAQ?
    Yes, some sort of FAQ/key might be in order, if not now, then soon. I've been getting a little annoyed by the Notes Creep for a while now. Could even include my rationale for specific edge cases.

Yes, very good suggestion here. Not going to do it immediately, but I'll put it on the To Do List.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

As of 1000
    Book # of Online Strips # of Online Pages* Xtra Pages Total Book Pages
    DCF
    NCftPB
    W&XP
    DStP
    BRitF
    Book 6
    ???
    ???

36.25 pages to go until Book 6 is equal to the size of Start of Darkness and Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales

====

I am quite sure that final panel will be expanded to be a two pager when it gets into book form. Perhaps with slight additional content. But, for now, 1.75 is what it is (more or less).
    Last edited by Porthos; 2015-08-27 at 10:39 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

UPDATE::::: As I suspected but hadn't had comfirmation until after I posted the latest block, the last panel of Comic #1000 will indeed be two pages in the upcoming book (bringing the total page count for this update to five). Therefore according to:

* A few Online Pages have been resized, reshuffled, and/or had very minor additions made to them. The "Online Page Count" will reflect how the Online Page best maps to a book regardless of any minor "book only" additional changes.
    (specifcially the "resized" bit), I am altering the count of the pages. Something someting "don't alter them further" something something.

Basic Block

As of 1000
    DCF
    NCftPB
    W&XP
    DStP
    BRitF
    Book 6
    ???
    ???

35 pages to go until Book 6 is equal to the size of Start of Darkness and Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales

NOTES
    * A few Online Pages have been resized, reshuffled, and/or had very minor additions made to them. The "Online Page Count" will reflect how the Online Page best maps to a book regardless of any minor "book only" additional changes.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2015-08-28 at 01:41 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Bugbear in the Playground

Have you considered adding the Supercollider Webcomic Mashup strips to the "OotS not yet compiled" block? Or are you refraining from doing so because they're non-canon and it is highly unlikely that they will ever be compiled anywhere? If you do want to add it, it's a comic 25 pages in total length, of which 5.25 pages are black-and-white OotS strips, with one additional page which might loosely be considered "extras" (a title page with an OotS-style drawing of the antagonistic interdimensional doppelganger Gods in the background).

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rgrekejin View Post
    Have you considered adding the Supercollider Webcomic Mashup strips to the "OotS not yet compiled" block?
    How sad does it make me look that I have thought about it?

Or are you refraining from doing so because they're non-canon and it is highly unlikely that they will ever be compiled anywhere?
    It's not so much "non-canon" (SS&DT blew that out of the water) as the "unlikely to ever see the light of day anwhere" consideration.

If I did include it, it'd only be for the OotS stuff which you noted in a bit I snipped.

PS: Yes, I do have it on hand for reference.

PPS: Yes, I also considered the Graph Updates from the KS drive. But even I have my limits. Plus, you know, actually trying to figure out how to "count" them page wise, since they were a) non-standard length and b) variable length as the drive went on.

Of course, I am kinda hoping that they get included in the mythical "Book K", thus solving my problem for me.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2015-08-28 at 05:59 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Bugbear in the Playground

How sad does it make me look that I have thought about it?
    Heh, I know what you mean. I've got a lot of the old OotS-store images from before I started reading the comic in 2006 saved as jpeg files, courtesy of the wayback machine.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

As of 1001
    DCF
    NCftPB
    W&XP
    DStP
    BRitF
    Book 6
    ???
    ???

34 pages to go until Book 6 is equal to the size of Start of Darkness and Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales

NOTE

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

As of 1002
    DCF
    NCftPB
    W&XP
    DStP
    BRitF
    Book 6
    ???
    ???

33 pages to go until Book 6 is equal to the size of Start of Darkness and Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales

NOTE

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

As of 1003
    DCF
    NCftPB
    W&XP
    DStP
    BRitF
    Book 6
    ???
    ???

32 pages to go until Book 6 is equal to the size of Start of Darkness and Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales

NOTE

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

As of 1004
    DCF
    NCftPB
    W&XP
    DStP
    BRitF
    Book 6
    ???
    ???

31 pages to go until Book 6 is equal to the size of Start of Darkness and Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales

Other OOTS Comics Yet To Be Compiled (Kickstarter & Gygax Magazine [As of Gygax #6])
    Spoiler
    Show
    PDF Comic Pages Cover Page Total Pages
    US
    H&J
    SA
    Gygax
    n/a

NOTE
    Last edited by Porthos; 2015-09-11 at 12:45 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

As of 1005
    DCF
    NCftPB
    W&XP
    DStP
    BRitF
    Book 6
    ???
    ???

30 pages to go until Book 6 is equal to the size of Start of Darkness and Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales

NOTE

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

As of 1006
    DCF
    NCftPB
    W&XP
    DStP
    BRitF
    Book 6
    ???
    ???

29 pages to go until Book 6 is equal to the size of Start of Darkness and Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales

NOTE

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

As of 1007
    DCF
    NCftPB
    W&XP
    DStP
    BRitF
    Book 6
    ???
    ???

27 pages to go until Book 6 is equal to the size of Start of Darkness and Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales

NOTES

17. - Top - End - #137
    Firbolg in the Playground

So far, book six has the highest online pages to online strips ratio, partly due to the abundance of multi-page comics surrounding strip 1000. WaXP is second, followed by DstP, BRiF, NCfPB, and lastly DCF.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

As of 1008
    DCF
    NCftPB
    W&XP
    DStP
    BRitF
    Book 6
    ???
    ???

26 pages to go until Book 6 is equal to the size of Start of Darkness and Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales

NOTES

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

As of 1009
    DCF
    NCftPB
    W&XP
    DStP
    BRitF
    Book 6
    ???
    ???

24 pages to go until Book 6 is equal to the size of Start of Darkness and Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales

NOTE

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Knew I forgot to do somethin'.

=====

As of 1010
    DCF
    NCftPB
    W&XP
    DStP
    BRitF
    Book 6
    ???
    ???

23 pages to go until Book 6 is equal to the size of Start of Darkness and Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales

NOTES
    Last edited by Porthos; 2015-11-01 at 03:52 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

As of 1011
    DCF
    NCftPB
    W&XP
    DStP
    BRitF
    Book 6
    ???
    ???

22 pages to go until Book 6 is equal to the size of Start of Darkness and Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales

NOTES

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

As of 1012
    DCF
    NCftPB
    W&XP
    DStP
    BRitF
    Book 6
    ???
    ???

19.5 pages to go until Book 6 is equal to the size of Start of Darkness and Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales

NOTES

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

As of 1013
    DCF
    NCftPB
    W&XP
    DStP
    BRitF
    Book 6
    ???
    ???

18 pages to go until Book 6 is equal to the size of Start of Darkness and Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales

NOTE

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

As of 1014
    DCF
    NCftPB
    W&XP
    DStP
    BRitF
    Book 6
    ???
    ???

17 pages to go until Book 6 is equal to the size of Start of Darkness and Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales

NOTE

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

As of 1015
    DCF
    NCftPB
    W&XP
    DStP
    BRitF
    Book 6
    ???
    ???

16 pages to go until Book 6 is equal to the size of Start of Darkness and Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales

NOTE

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

As of 1016
    DCF
    NCftPB
    W&XP
    DStP
    BRitF
    Book 6
    ???
    ???

15 pages to go until Book 6 is equal to the size of Start of Darkness and Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales

NOTE

27. - Top - End - #147
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Keep it going Rich!

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

As of 1017
    DCF
    NCftPB
    W&XP
    DStP
    BRitF
    Book 6
    ???
    ???

14 pages to go until Book 6 is equal to the size of Start of Darkness and Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales

NOTE

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

As of 1018
    DCF
    NCftPB
    W&XP
    DStP
    BRitF
    Book 6
    ???
    ???

13 pages to go until Book 6 is equal to the size of Start of Darkness and Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales

NOTE

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

As of 1019
    DCF
    NCftPB
    W&XP
    DStP
    BRitF
    Book 6
    ???
    ???

12 pages to go until Book 6 is equal to the size of Start of Darkness and Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales

NOTE

====

100 pages now in for Book 6!