New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Minecraft Monsters in d&d

Ah, Minecraft. The only game where you're running from explodable green humanoids, explore colossal underground fortresses, travel through dimensions and play tag with a dragon egg, and that all over the course of a few minutes.

I've been searching the web, but I could nowhere find some D&D 3.5 stats for minecraft critters, so I decided to make some myself. I hope I'm helping people who are looking for a new monster to use in their campaign with this.

Advise is always welcome!

Without further ado, here's the...

Creeper
    Medium Aberration
    3d8+3 (16 hp)
    Speed 25 ft. (5 squares)
    Initiative: +7
    Armor Class 16 (+3 dex, +3 natural); touch 13; flat-footed 13
    Base Attack/Grapple +2/+2
    Attack: Slam +2 (1d3)
    Full-Attack: Slam +2 (1d3)
    Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Explode
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Vulnerability to Fire, Explodable body
    Saves: Fort +2 Ref +4 Will +3
    Abilities: Str 11, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 5, Wis 10, Cha 3
    Skills: +14 move silently, +10 hide
    Feats: Stealthy, Improved Initiative
    Environment: Usually Underground
    Organization Name: Solitary or group (2-4)
    Challenge Rating: 3
    Alignment: Always chaotic neutral
    Advancement: 4-8 HD (Medium)
    Level Adjustment: -

You suddenly hear a loud hissing, and as you turn around, you see a green humanoid creature, its face twist into a strange expression. You recognize the hiss as the sound of a burning fuse.

The true nature of these strange beings is a mystery. Very little is known about them, except that they actively seek out any humanlike creatures they encounter. Greatly adept at sneaking up to their targets, Creepers can easily end the lives of anyone they encounter. Traveling through an area inhabited by those creatures is highly discommended. Strangely enough, no clear use for the Creepers primary hunting strategy has been discovered, and it only seems to blow up the Creeper and everything close to it. Some have theorized it to be a way of spreading spores or other reproductive matter, but all this is based on a few survivor's stories and observed corpses.

Tactics:
    A Creeper usually wanders around aimlessy, without a clear goal. Once it spots possible prey, however, it goes into hiding. When its prey are close enough, the Creeper swiftly moves to the unfortunate victims, and starts a progress that will blow it up with the power of a small bomb. Most of the time, victims have no time to escape, and perish in the blast. A Creeper who is discovered will still try to reach its targets by any means possible. Creepers are not stupid enough to walk into harmful terrain, and will not do this unless they stand a chance of surviving it and reaching their prey.

Explode (Ex): As a standard action, a Creeper can blow itself up, but this progress is not easy. First, a Creeper hisses, automatically alerting all creatures that can hear it to its presence. Second, every creature within 15 feet of the Creeper can make a reflex save (DC 17) to move 15 feet away from the Creeper. The save DC is dexterity-based and includes a +3 racial bonus. The Creeper then explodes, dealing 2d12 fire and bludgeoning damage to all creatures within 15 feet. Objects within 15 feet instead take 4d12 bludgeoning and fire damage. A reflex save (DC 12) halves this damage (The save DC is constitution-based). The Creeper is immediately reduced to -10 HP after using this ability.

Vulnerability to Fire (Ex): In addition to the normal effects of this ability, a Creeper who is dealt at least 3 points of fire damage in a single attack starts detonating, as if it had used its explode ability. If the Creeper explodes in this way, it doesn't hiss, possibly killing victims who aren't even aware of the Creeper. Such victims do not receive a reflex save to move away, but they do receive a save to reduce the explosion damage.

Explodable Body (Ex): The body of a Creeper is filled with gunpowder, which remains dangerous after its death. A Creeper who did not attempt to explode and who was slain in a way that did not involve fire damage can be cut open to gather the explosive. This yields gunpowder (DMG, page 145) with a worth equal to 3/4 of the standard treasure for a monster of the Creepers CR. (Usually 675 GP)
    The corpse of a Creeper can also be set off by dealing at least 3 points of fire damage to it in a single attack, causing it to explode as if the Creeper was still alive.

Skills (Ex): A Creeper has a +4 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks.

Sample Encounters:

(EL 3): A lone Creeper ambushes the party while they travel through an underground tunnel. This battle will likely be short, brutal and may even result in a PC death.

(EL 6): The PC's have been tasked to capture and transport a Creeper to the study of a gnomish wizard. Two Creepers have been sighted nearby, and at least one of them has to be captured. The actual EL of this encounter is 5, but because of the relative difficulty a party will have subduing a Creeper, it is adjusted upwards.

(EL 10): An Orcish warlord aims to weaken a city's defenses by sending a group of Creepers at it. The encounter consists of ten Creepers, and three second-level orcish fighters, who are tasked with luring the Creepers to the city. The PC's have to kill the Creepers, without letting the city walls be damaged. The gunpowder harvested from the Creepers will be of use in defending the city once the Orcs attack.

-------------------------------------------------

So, what do you think? Is there a Minecraft monster you'd like to see next? Do you have any suggestions for this one? Please tell me!

Last edited by Inevitability; 2014-05-05 at 06:01 AM.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Minecraft Monsters in d&d

I was about to groan as anything that adds pop culture into games is usually bad. Then I realise this isn't Skyrim or Minecraft. Props to you! I really liked it.

Can we see Endermen next?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Minecraft Monsters in d&d

All of the math seems to check out, and its base stats seem reasonable for a CR 3 monster. The damage on the explosion seems quite high, though: 2d12 can easily take out any of the squishier party members, and while it does allow two separate saving throws, the lowest-health characters also tend to have the poorest Reflex saves. Any d4 Hit Dice character that fails both saves is probably getting knocked out if the creeper rolls average damage; if it rolls max damage, it is entirely possible for such characters to go from full health to dead. I would suggest lowering it a bit to 2d8 -- it's still high, but not quite enough to outright kill a healthy wizard -- but also allow the creeper to stop its explosion immediately if all targets manage to move out of range by succeeding the initial Reflex save (similar to how, in Minecraft, they will stop blowing up if you move far enough away and/or knock the creeper back far enough).

The Shadow Heritage feat carries the implication that the creeper is descended from extraplanar creatures, which doesn't quite mesh with their status as a monster encountered purely in the overworld in Minecraft; I would perhaps replace it with Improved Initiative (to help the creeper get into explosion range before everyone can run away) and then give it a racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently to compensate.

If you want to represent the creeper's ability to destroy blocks in Minecraft, which usually results in massive holes being blown away in the terrain, I would have the creeper create an area of mundane difficult terrain (represented by chunks of rock, disheveled dirt, and the like) after it blows up.
    Sincerest thanks to Qwernt for the amazing avatar.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dracomortis View Post
    The damage on the explosion seems quite high, though: 2d12 can easily take out any of the squishier party members, and while it does allow two separate saving throws, the lowest-health characters also tend to have the poorest Reflex saves. Any d4 Hit Dice character that fails both saves is probably getting knocked out if the creeper rolls average damage; if it rolls max damage, it is entirely possible for such characters to go from full health to dead. I would suggest lowering it a bit to 2d8 -- it's still high, but not quite enough to outright kill a healthy wizard -- but also allow the creeper to stop its explosion immediately if all targets manage to move out of range by succeeding the initial Reflex save (similar to how, in Minecraft, they will stop blowing up if you move far enough away and/or knock the creeper back far enough).
    The chances of that happening aren't too big. A 3rd level wizard with 14 constitution will have 14 hp on average. Providing the Creeper manages to get to the wizard, the wizard fails both saving throws, and the Creeper rolls max damage, the wizard is dead. Otherwise, the wizard will be unconscious, but with any threats removed from the battlefield and multiple party members ready to heal or stabilize him, the wizard'll be fine. Really, the chances of an orc getting lucky and chopping the wizard's head of are bigger, and orc's aren't nerfed either.

The Shadow Heritage feat carries the implication that the creeper is descended from extraplanar creatures, which doesn't quite mesh with their status as a monster encountered purely in the overworld in Minecraft; I would perhaps replace it with Improved Initiative (to help the creeper get into explosion range before everyone can run away) and then give it a racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently to compensate.
    I'll do that. I was wondering about the feat myself too.

If you want to represent the creeper's ability to destroy blocks in Minecraft, which usually results in massive holes being blown away in the terrain, I would have the creeper create an area of mundane difficult terrain (represented by chunks of rock, disheveled dirt, and the like) after it blows up.
    I think I'll just adjust the explosion to also deal damage to objects, and double this damage. It should damage stone quite a bit, and completely blow away weaker materials.

Thanks for your feedback!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Creepers are actually a type of mobile plant in minecraft. Why not have it detonate as Delayed Blast Fireball though?

otherwise everything in MC is basically covered. Zombies, Skeletons, and Zombie Pigmen are covered, as are Spiders and oozes. Endermen could probably be extrapolated from applying the Tauric template to Displacer Beasts. the Dragon is a Fang dragon with the Shadow template, Wither skeletons are mummies, and the wither would be overpowered as a result of spamming vile-transmuted fireballs
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    The chances of that happening aren't too big. A 3rd level wizard with 14 constitution will have 14 hp on average. Providing the Creeper manages to get to the wizard, the wizard fails both saving throws, and the Creeper rolls max damage, the wizard is dead. Otherwise, the wizard will be unconscious, but with any threats removed from the battlefield and multiple party members ready to heal or stabilize him, the wizard'll be fine. Really, the chances of an orc getting lucky and chopping the wizard's head of are bigger, and orc's aren't nerfed either.
    Fair enough, but for the record I think the orc is a poorly-designed monster for the exact reason that it can so easily kill equal-level characters. Then again, Gygax was all about the chance for one-hit kills, so what do I know

Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    Creepers are actually a type of mobile plant in minecraft.
    I see this stated a lot by players, but has Mojang ever actually said that they're plants? I know that the creeper first originated as a result of a faulty pig model, and there doesn't appear to be anything indicating that they're plants other than their color.
    Sincerest thanks to Qwernt for the amazing avatar.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Creepers are actually a type of mobile plant in minecraft.
    This is nowhere confirmed. Their skin has been described as plant-like, their name is also used for parts of plants, and they are green. That's it. Nothing more.

However, Creepers mostly live underground (while most plants require photosynthesis), are mobile (again, not very plant-like) and have been seen to be capable of advanced thought (navigating mazes, laying ambushes). That, combined with their unusual abilities, they seem more like a aberration to me.

Extended signature!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, working on Endermen right now, and they are more complex than I thought...
    Also, they'll have LA. I'm not going to say more than that.

Extended signature!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I see this stated a lot by players, but has Mojang ever actually said that they're plants? I know that the creeper first originated as a result of a faulty pig model, and there doesn't appear to be anything indicating that they're plants other than their color.
    Notch declared that when touched, they crunch like dry leaves.

This is nowhere confirmed. Their skin has been described as plant-like, their name is also used for parts of plants, and they are green. That's it. Nothing more.

However, Creepers mostly live underground (while most plants require photosynthesis), are mobile (again, not very plant-like) and have been seen to be capable of advanced thought (navigating mazes, laying ambushes). That, combined with their unusual abilities, they seem more like a aberration to me.
    Most of the statted out plants in DnD also are mobile, while creepers spawn as often on the surface as they do underground, and from my experience their most common spawnrate is in jungle. they Fear cats, but cats only spawn in the jungle. Cats also dont attack creepers which suggests that they are not predators of creepers. If a Creeper really is a Semi=sentinent pile of animated leaves and plant refuse that can detonate, then the only reason why a cat would want to interact with it is because its a nice place to store bile.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

Drow avatar @ myself

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Enderman time!

Enderman
    Medium Outsider
    11d8+16 (65 hp)
    Speed: 25 ft. (5 squares)
    Initiative: +3
    Armor Class 20 (+3 dex, +7 natural) ; touch 13; flat-footed 17
    Base Attack/Grapple +11/+14
    Attack: Slam +11* (1d8+7 19-20/x2)
    Full-Attack: 2 Slams +11* (1d8+7 19-20/x2)
    Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities, Surprising strike, Timely dodge
    Special Qualities: 60 ft. darkvision, Vulnerable to water,
    Saves: Fort +8 Ref +9 Will +6
    Abilities: Str 16, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 11, Wis 10, Cha 13
    Skills: Move Silently +17, Hide +17, Concentration +16, Intimidate +15, Listen +14, Spot +14, Knowledge (the planes) +14, Survival +14
    Feats: Power attack, Weapon Focus (slam), Improved Natural Attack (slam), Improved Critical
    Environment: The End
    Organization: Solitary or group (2-3) or mass (20-100) (Native plane only)
    Challenge Rating: 7
    Alignment: Always True Neutral
    Advancement: By Character Class
    Level Adjustment: +5

*Including adjustments for the power attack feat.

A long, slender humanoid stands about thirty feet away from you. It's purple eyes pierce the darkness, looking straight at you. A moment later, the creature is gone, leaving only some purple dust behind.

Endermen are native to The End, a strange plane, mostly empty, with a couple of islands floating in an endless void. The barrier between The End and the material plane is very thin, however, and Endermen often end up in our world. Most of the time, they enter the Material Plane in groups of three, though those Endermen lose each other easily.
    Perhaps the most interesting feature of Endermen is their ability to teleport at-will. Not only do they use this ability to quickly travel, they can also evade ranged attacks with it.
    In combat, Endermen are fearsome opponents, preferring to teleport behind an enemy, attack him, and teleport away. Any purpose behind their existence has yet to be discovered.

Tactics: An Enderman starts combat usually by teleporting away and creating an aura of terror around itself. It then quickly strikes at the back of its enemy, and retreats. Once badly wounded, the Enderman flees with its teleport ability. When in great numbers, Endermen pay less attention to tactics and simply swarm their enemy.

Spell-like abilities (Sp) (CL 11th)

At-will: Dimension Door (cast as a swift action)
    3/day: Aura of Terror
    1/day: Teleport

Surprising Strike (Su): When an Enderman teleports adjacent to an enemy using dimension door, it can immediately make a single attack (as a standard action) and use dimension door again. (as a free action) This surpasses the restriction that one can take no other actions after casting dimension door.

Timely Dodge (Su): When an Enderman is targeted by a ranged attack, it can immediately use dimension door as an immediate action.

Vulnerable to Water (Ex): An Enderman who touches a creature with the water subtype or any amount of water larger than a puddle, or is exposed to rain, takes 2d6 damage per round of contact or exposition.

Sample Encounters

(EL 7): A lone Enderman has fled inside a village during a rainstorm, and a couple of guards who tried to chase it away were quickly butchered. The PC's, who happen to be inside the village, are asked to deal with the creature. If the PC's choose to fight it, the Enderman will use dimension door to teleport between houses, making it hard to get to.

(EL 12): A 10th level human wizard managed to open a temporary portal to the end, and has enslaved two Endermen. As the PC's burst into the portal room, they are ambushed by the Endermen, while the wizard throws spells at them invisible.

(EL 18): As the PC's travel through The End, they find a large group of angry Endermen coming straight at them. The group consists of fifty Endermen, so the PC's can easily be overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of their enemies.

Summon Monster:

Any character can choose to summon Endermen with the spell summon monster VI. If they choose to do so, they forever lose the ability to summon a Large Elemental.
    --------------------------------------

Okay, this one was difficult. I'm not sure if Surprising Strike is too strong, but you can still ready actions against it, can't you? Also, is the LA right? Last of all, what do you think of the alignment? I think the whole do-not-attack-until-provoked seems TN to me, even if its for reasons we can't comprehend.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2014-04-05 at 03:29 PM.

Extended signature!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Notch declared that when touched, they crunch like dry leaves.
    Oh god.

I've been eating plants my whole life, where I thought I was eating potato chips!

Nah, just kidding. But as I said before, skin texture is not a reliable source of information.

Extended signature!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Oh god.

I've been eating plants my whole life, where I thought I was eating potato chips!

Nah, just kidding. But as I said before, skin texture is not a reliable source of information.
    no, but considering that cats dont attack but still scare the piss out of creepers, they are animate piles of exploding leaves.

Drow avatar @ myself

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

That... isn't a reason at all. There are plenty of reason why a creeper would be afraid of cats.

But let's just end this discussion, and go back to the original topic.
    If you do not agree with my write-up of creepers, that's fine.
    If you think they should be different, that's fine.
    If you think I should change them without any reason save for 'they fear cats', then I will not change them.

You can always write up a Creeper yourself, nothing is preventing you from doing so.

Extended signature!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

That... isn't a reason at all. There are plenty of reason why a creeper would be afraid of cats.

But let's just end this discussion, and go back to the original topic.
    If you do not agree with my write-up of creepers, that's fine.
    If you think they should be different, that's fine.
    If you think I should change them without any reason save for 'they fear cats', then I will not change them.

You can always write up a Creeper yourself, nothing is preventing you from doing so.
    the only other thing is that, evolutionarily, the only things that benefit from detonating themselves would be seedpods.

Drow avatar @ myself

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Bees die once they sting someone. In a certain sense, they are killing themselves, with the goal of taking their enemies with them.

Creepers detonate themselves, which kills them. What if they are just like the bees? They may be aware of the danger Steve? poses to them or their environment (forest fires, cutting down trees, slaughtering animals) and try to kill him in an attempt to make life easier for the other Creepers.

In other words, spreading seeds is not the only possible use for detonating oneself.

EDIT: Also, any suggestions for new monsters to create? I'm thinking of doing Snow Golems, myself.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2014-04-05 at 11:56 AM.

Extended signature!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm not so sure about letting Endermen use dimension door automatically every time they're targeted by a ranged attack, even if they get to do it in Minecraft. Maybe give them a Reflex save against the attack, and if they pass the save they use dimension door?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

I think you should add both Steve?s and Testificates as playable races!

Please?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Bees die once they sting someone. In a certain sense, they are killing themselves, with the goal of taking their enemies with them.

Creepers detonate themselves, which kills them. What if they are just like the bees? They may be aware of the danger Steve? poses to them or their environment (forest fires, cutting down trees, slaughtering animals) and try to kill him in an attempt to make life easier for the other Creepers.
    Only workerbees have stingers and the barb on their stingers doesnt necessarily catch, However the stinger is also a result of an incomplete development of the female bee's reproductive system, and the Queen bee spawns thousands of servant females. The very attack response for the stinger is a result of the Genetic Imperative to continue the dynasty.

If a creeper is an animate seedpod for something in minecraft, then that would explain why they crunch like paper or dry leaves, and why the explode, which is because a plant figured out how to actually weaponize the will to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post

Please?
    Someone already did steve as a class named "The Minecraftian"
    Last edited by toapat; 2014-04-05 at 01:03 PM.

Drow avatar @ myself

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Someone already did steve as a class named "The Minecraftian"
    Yeah, but it makes more sense as a race to me.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Diachronos View Post
    I'm not so sure about letting Endermen use dimension door automatically every time they're targeted by a ranged attack, even if they get to do it in Minecraft. Maybe give them a Reflex save against the attack, and if they pass the save they use dimension door?
    They don't get it every time. It's an immediate action, meaning that it can only be used once a round, at the cost of their swift action next turn. Even if it 'ports away from the ranger's attack, the wizard will have a chance to hit it. More importantly, it won't be able to use its usual strategy of teleport-hit-teleport, since it lacks the actions required to do so. It may even be advantageous to the Enderman to let itself be hit with a ranged attack, as it won't lose its actions next turn that way.

Please?
    I've been thinking about it, but the problem is they both seem like average humans to me.

Testificates could probably get +2 to craft and profession, a bonus to con (they're pretty hardy compared to other Minecraftian things) and maybe scent (those noses have to be good for something), but I'm at a loss with Steve?s. Any ideas?

Extended signature!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Bees also have some weird genetics that help them get away with self-sacrificing behavior, evolutionarily speaking. But that's besides the point-- not every D&D monster has to follow evolutionary laws. Maybe Creepers were made by a wizard as walking land mines. I dunno; it's not a major point.

The Enderman... I don't like it. The repeated teleporting will make it incredibly aggravating to fight (especially when it can port in, hit you, and warp back into hiding), but at the same time it's got pathetic offense. At level 9, it's less a threat and more of an annoyance. Also, you've got it making iterative attacks with a natural weapon, which isn't how they work. I'd drop the ability to teleport away after using dimension door, drop the CR, and give it a second slam attack.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

I've been thinking about it, but the problem is they both seem like average humans to me.

Testificates could probably get +2 to craft and profession, a bonus to con (they're pretty hardy compared to other Minecraftian things) and maybe scent (those noses have to be good for something), but I'm at a loss with Steve?s. Any ideas?
    Steve?s: Bonus to int and str, penalty to wis, favored class: Artificer... maybe some other features.
    Testificates: The stuff you mentioned, plus... penalty to cha favored class: Cleric... maybe some other features.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2014-04-05 at 02:53 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

The Enderman... I don't like it. The repeated teleporting will make it incredibly aggravating to fight (especially when it can port in, hit you, and warp back into hiding), but at the same time it's got pathetic offense. At level 9, it's less a threat and more of an annoyance. Also, you've got it making iterative attacks with a natural weapon, which isn't how they work. I'd drop the ability to teleport away after using dimension door, drop the CR, and give it a second slam attack.
    Don't forget players can always ready actions to stop it. A wizard can just cast Daze once Endey comes within range, and completely shut it's tactics down. In my opinion, the Enderman's CR is about right. It doesn't rely on major damage at the start of the fight, but more on low damage over the course of it. Thanks for the note on natural weapons though.

Steve?s: Bonus to int and str, penalty to wis, favored class: Artificer... maybe some other features.
    Testificates: The stuff you mentioned, plus... penalty to cha favored class: Cleric... maybe some other features.
    I think I'll do Testificates after I complete the Snow Golem. (which is becoming far more durable than it should be... stupid hp-by-size for constructs...)

Extended signature!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Don't forget players can always ready actions to stop it. A wizard can just cast Daze once Endey comes within range, and completely shut it's tactics down. In my opinion, the Enderman's CR is about right. It doesn't rely on major damage at the start of the fight, but more on low damage over the course of it. Thanks for the note on natural weapons though.
    So it's not that hard to stop, but still can't do decent damage? I just ran Vorpral Tribble's CR calculator on it and got a result of around CR 5-6, which looks a lot more reasonable. Seriously, you're doing 2(d8+3) damage at level 9? On a full attack? 14 damage is, like, one attack's worth at that level-- and like you said, it's not that difficult to stop him once you figure out what's going on, especially with health that low.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

This one is more intended for PC's than for NPC's. Here is the:

Snow Golem
    Medium Construct (Cold)
    1d10+20 (25 hp)
    Speed 15 ft. (3 squares)
    Initiative: +1
    Armor Class 12 (+1 dex, +1 natural); touch 11; flat-footed 11
    Base Attack/Grapple +0/+0
    Attack: Snowball (see text)
    Full-Attack: Snowball (see text)
    Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Snowball
    Special Qualities: Construct Traits, Darkvision 60 ft., Immunity to Magic, Low-light vision
    Saves: Fort +0 Ref +1 Will +0
    Abilities: Str 10, Dex 12, Con -, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 1
    Skills: -
    Feats: -
    Environment: Cold Plains
    Organization Name:
    Challenge Rating: 1/2
    Alignment: Always neutral
    Advancement: 2-5 HD (medium)
    Level Adjustment: -

Something that looks like a crudely-made snowman stumbles towards you. It brings its arm back, and an orb of snow slams into you with surprising force.

Snow Golems are among the weakest golems that can be created. As opposed to other golems, they fight at range, throwing snowballs that are barely strong enough to push enemies back. Snow Golems are not often used in battle, and if they are, they often fight from towers or other fortified locations.

Some wizard schools, especially those devoted to creating constructs, request the creation of a Snow Golem as a final exam.

Tactics: Despite being mindless, a Snow Golem understands that it isn't made for melee, and avoids it at all cost. It will not display any other signs of intelligence. If its creator is harmed by a creature, it will divert its attacks to that creature, unless ordered not to.

Snowball (Ex): A Snow Golem can throw a snowball as a standard action. Treat this as a ranged thrown weapon touch attack, with a range increment of 10 feet. Any creature hit by the snowball must make a strength check opposed by the Snow Golem's attack roll. If the check fails, the creature is pushed back 10 ft. Against enemies vulnerable to cold, this attack also deals 1d4 cold damage (modified by vulnerability as normal).

Immunity to Magic (Ex): A Snow Golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, some spells and effects function differently against it.

A Snowdrift spell targeted at the golem deals 2d10 points of damage to it.

A Binding Snow spell targeted at the golem paralyses it for 1d4 rounds.

A Move snow and ice spell targeted at the golem moves it 10 feet per caster level.

Creation:

A golem's body must be created from a snow pile with at least 5 cubic feet of snow in it, treated with arcane components and gems worth 10 GP. Creating the golem requires a DC 11 craft (snow sculpture) check.

CL 5th; Craft Construct, Charm Person, Snowdrift, Lesser Orb of Cold, Caster must be at least 5th level, Prize 500 GP, Cost 10 GP + 20 xp

Sample Encounters

(EL 3): The PC's see six Snow Golems attacking a fire Mephit in a narrow alley as they travel through a city. The alley is only five foot wide, so the golems will likely block it even if they aren't trying to. The golems don't mind the PC's, and keep attacking the Mephit. If they save the Mephit, it'll tell them what it's doing here, and help them figure out who sent the golems. If they don't, they'll have to discover the things the hard way.

(EL 4): On ledges surrounding a room, three Snow Golems walk around. They have been instructed to use their snowballs to knock people in one of the two pits in the room. (Deeper pit trap). If all PC's are in the pits, or no one is within range, the Golems do nothing meaningful, simply idly moving a bit.

(EL 8): An Enderman has managed to build five Snow Golems, who he is using as moving shields. The Enderman does not teleport as far away from the PC's as he normally does, and instead just teleports right behind his moving line of guards.

-------------------------------------------------

Another wacky creature joins the party! Like I said before, the HP became much higher than I would've liked it to be. While this gives low-level characters a way to cheaply create golems, these creatures are very limited in their actions, so unless you're facing a fire creature, they won't be of much use.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2014-04-07 at 12:47 PM.

Extended signature!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

So it's not that hard to stop, but still can't do decent damage? I just ran Vorpral Tribble's CR calculator on it and got a result of around CR 5-6, which looks a lot more reasonable. Seriously, you're doing 2(d8+3) damage at level 9? On a full attack? 14 damage is, like, one attack's worth at that level-- and like you said, it's not that difficult to stop him once you figure out what's going on, especially with health that low.
    I may drop its CR down a point or two.

Extended signature!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd always assumed creepers were drones bred by a creeper queen. Their self-destruction makes no sense unless it's benefitting some larger organization.

Upon hearing the plant theory, it makes a lot of sense. Although they never do anything plantlike and there is no mention of where they're getting their energy from. I have an alternate theory:

Creepers are some sort of plant spirit, a sylph or dryad or some other such thing. They are invisible, but they gather up plant detritus and form it into a creeper body. They may only interact with plant matter. But they can animate the creeper body and have it blow up, protecting nature and all that. Still doesn't explain why they're underground.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Nature doesn't have to be aboveground. Caves that aren't man-made count as nature too.
    I'll have Testificate stats up in a couple of hours. Maybe even stats for their childs.

Extended signature!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

The first real PC-race appears!

Testificate, 1st level commoner
    Medium Humanoid
    1d4+1 (3 hp)
    Speed 30 ft. ( squares)
    Initiative: -1
    Armor Class 12 (+3 studded leather, -1 dex); touch 9; flat-footed 12
    Base Attack/Grapple +0/+0
    Attack: Sickle +0 (1d6)
    Full-Attack: Sickle +0 (1d6)
    Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
    Special Attacks:
    Special Qualities: Testificate Traits
    Saves: Fort +1 Ref -1 Will +1
    Abilities: Str 10, Dex 8, Con 13, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 7
    Skills: Craft (toolmaking) +7, Profession (farmer) +7, Climb +1, Jump +1, Listen +3, Spot +3, Swim +1, Use rope +0.
    Feats: Armor Proficiency (light)
    Environment: Usually Underground
    Organization Name: Group (2-5) or Town (6-20)
    Challenge Rating: 1/3
    Alignment: Usually Lawful Neutral
    Advancement: By character class
    Level Adjustment: +0

A being that looks human, apart from its strange nose, stares at you. It grunts, and then goes back to farming.

Testificates are humanlike beings. They live in small villages, surrounded by the wilderness. They almost never leave these places, which has earned them the nickname 'villagers'. Despite this, some Testificates travel the world, seeking wealth, goods or something else. All Testificates have natural talent for crafting, which has led some people to seeking their communities and start trading routes. Testificates have an inborn fear of darkness, and the reason for this has not yet been discovered.

Tactics: Many Testificates are weak in combat, which leads them to avoiding it when possible. Even if they are forced into combat, they'll always flee if an opportunity presents itself. Some villages have proved to be able to build golems, who defend the village at all cost.

Testificate Traits (Ex): All Testificates possess the following traits:
    Medium Humanoid
    30 ft. base land speed
    +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma. Testificates are hardy, but they lack advanced social skills and their appearance can be unsettling.
    +2 racial bonus on Craft and Profession checks. All Testificates possess great crafting abilities.
    -1 morale penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks and ability checks while in shadowy illumination or darkness. Testificates are afraid of the dark.
    +4 skill points at first level, +1 at each additional level. Their long lifespans and open minds let Testificates easily absorb knowledge.
    +1 bonus on saving throws against spells. The resilience of Testificates means that magic means less to them than to other humanoids.
    Automatic Languages: Common.
    Bonus Languages: Undercommon, Sylvan, Elven, Dwarven, Halfling, Gnome
    Favored Class: Cleric. Testificates who become adventurers often adapt the path of a priest.

Spoiler: Ages
    Show
    Adulthood: 30 years.
    Simple: +2d6
    Moderate: +3d6
    Complex: +4d6

Middle Age: 100 years
    Old: 150 years
    Venerable: 200 years
    Maximum Age: +1d100

Spoiler: Testificates with other professions
    Show
    The Testificate presented above is the most common one, but others also exist. A couple of examples follow here.

-Librarians. These Testificates are experts with the research feat, and mostly knowledge skills.
    -Priests. These Testificates are adepts, with item creation feats. (CR 1/2)
    -Blacksmiths. These Testificates are commoners, with most of their skill points spend on crafting skills.

Spoiler: Young Testificates
    Show
    Testificate villages often include some young Testificates. They have the same stats as normal testificates, unless otherwise noted here:

Small size
    +2 Dexterity, -2 Strength. While physically weaker, young Testificates are far more nimble and charming than their parents.
    The penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks and ability checks in darkness or shadows worsens to -2.
    Young Testificates gain Run as a bonus feat.
    No +2 racial bonus on Craft and Profession checks.
    Favored Class: Rogue

At the DM's discretion, a Young Testificate who reaches 10 HD can immediately become an normal Testificate, losing its current racial traits gained from being a Young Testificate and replacing them with those of a normal Testificate.

Sample Encounters:

(EL 2): A group of five Testificates attack the PC's, blaming them for the destruction of their village. During the following battle, diplomacy can be attempted to calm them down.

(EL 5): Three young Testificate rogues (2nd level) are causing trouble in a city. The city laws forbid the murder of children, however, so the PC's will have to solve this issue in a nonviolent way.

(EL 6): A village of Testificates has been attacked by zombies, leaving no survivors. As the PC's enter it, they are immediately swarmed by the fourteen zombies that roam the ruins of the village. (ten of those are adult Testificate zombies, and four of those are young Testificates)

----------------------------------------------

Since you never see Testificates fighting, I figured that making them warriors wouldn't make sense. I went with commoner instead. Are the PC stats balanced? I think there are definitely weaker races in the PHB, but are there situations where you'd pick a Testificate as your race instead of, say, a human?
    Maybe I'll write up some racial feats.

Feedback is very, very welcome. Don't be scared by the fact that you aren't contributing to the current creeper-discussion.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2014-04-07 at 12:51 PM.

Extended signature!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

I'll try to create Ghasts next. Expect them by tomorrow (or maybe sooner).

Extended signature!