New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #948 - The Discussion Thread

Haven't read the entire thread, so no idea if this has already been mentioned, but Belkar seems like he finds something off with Durkula after he uttered "Thor's Nuts!". I mean, I know Belkar has been particularly suspicious of Durkula from the start, but assuming it's been a while since the last strip(as in, in-universe time), you would think that would have been curbed a bit. I wonder exactly what Belkar noticed about how Durkula uttered that phrased that made him feel it was off.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    I mean, I know Belkar has been particularly suspicious of Durkula from the start, but assuming it's been a while since the last strip(as in, in-universe time), you would think that would have been curbed a bit.
    Belkar holds grudges. His prank war with Vaarsuvius lasted for most of No Cure for the Paladin Blues and War and XPs, and he held on to his vendetta against Windstriker for 211 strips.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Haven't read the entire thread, so no idea if this has already been mentioned, but Belkar seems like he finds something off with Durkula after he uttered "Thor's Nuts!". I mean, I know Belkar has been particularly suspicious of Durkula from the start, but assuming it's been a while since the last strip(as in, in-universe time), you would think that would have been curbed a bit. I wonder exactly what Belkar noticed about how Durkula uttered that phrased that made him feel it was off.
    I personally see no reason to assume that Belkar's suspicion was on a downward trajectory over the last few days. I think that expression is just Belkar continuing to be unimpressed with Durkon's seemingly-Durkon-like-behavior, just like he was unimpressed by his Durkon-like behavior before.

But sure, it's possible he became more accepting in the off-panel time lapse.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

You go, my boy Thor! I hope the OotS fugure soon that something isn't right with Durkula.

I don't think Thor will dare to do much more than this. We know that there are rules against direct divine intervention. But I think sending a message to every one of his clerics telling them the truth about about Durkon wouldn't break those rules.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Firbolg in the Playground

There's a lot here!
    This strip confirms the theory that the only influence the living person has on its vampire is a temporary one, explaining why there was no apparent struggle between Malack and the lizardfolk. It also confirms that all (or almost all) OOTS vampires work like this. Although, it doesn't rule out my theory that Hel made this particular vampire a special case (that "normal" OOTS vampires are possessed by a generic evil negative energy spirit, while Hel intervened to insert her own creature in Durkon's body).

One one hand, this is good news for the Order: it means that anyone who knows enough about undead would understand the current situation. On the other hand, Belkar, Elan, Haley, and Roy all lack Knowledge (Religion), and it looks like V doesn't have enough either, or V would have told the others. The good news is that they are going to the Northern continent, where the High Priest of Odin is, and hopefully he would know how OOTS vampires work (and be able to cast resurrection).

6. - Top - End - #186
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wyrmhole View Post
    It's both, which is why it's worse in a way. As my family doctor once said (really): "What's the taint? Well 't'aint the balls and 't'aint the butthole."
    The equivalent area on females is the fundament.

So "fundamental" really is getting right to the bottom of things. And no, this isn't a pun.
    My blog: Alien America - amusing incidents and creative misinterpretations

7. - Top - End - #187
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by warrl View Post
    The equivalent area on females is the fundament.

So "fundamental" really is getting right to the bottom of things. And no, this isn't a pun.
    A quick look at a dictionary will help others from believing this....

8. - Top - End - #188
    Orc in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    I think this tidbit gives us a clue for how Durkon can undermine Durkula's charade, assuming an external force doesn't intervene to help him out. Durkula asks for something, and Durkon technically obliges the wording of the request, but it's entirely the wrong thing, and Durkula slips up a few times and the others catch on.
    I thought this too... Durkula was looking for what Durkon says in extremis, and we were all saying what a great new expression Thor's nuts is.

9. - Top - End - #189

Quote Originally Posted by Lexible View Post
    Belkar's arms are beefier (thicker) than either Roy's or Durkula's.
    They aren't really; that's just because he has shorter arms and makes them look thicker.
    To find in order to lose; To fall in order to stand up
    To freeze in order to ignite; To find myself within, and not fear the edge
    To die in order to be reborn to the new world

10. - Top - End - #190
    Halfling in the Playground

Nice touch, Roy's boots are still on different sizes.
    Last edited by Nibelung; 2014-04-07 at 06:58 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

So, I'd just like to agree that Roy looks awesome now. I wish I had that costume.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2014-04-07 at 06:57 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

My observations:

The new artwork looks superb, IMO. The objections to it seem like a real "tempest in a teapot" -- especially since it looks so excellent. Bravo, Mr. Burlew.

I think Belkar is just continuing his hostility to Durk Malackssen. He hasn't "noticed" anything new, he just hated the vampire to begin with and that hasn't changed. It has nothing to do with what Durk said -- he just loathes him and isn't going to lighten up. Ever.

"Thor's nuts" doesn't seem out of line with "Thor's taint" and "leafy wankers," among others. Durkon may not be constantly foul-mouthed, but he's not totally prim and mincing, either.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

13. - Top - End - #193
    Bugbear in the Playground

why does negative energy durkon not have fangs? Physical trait only?

14. - Top - End - #194
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Where this idea that Durkon is prim and proper comes from, I'm not entierly sure.
    Well, look back at his lectures to Roy's younger sister, about the clothes she was wearing, and about treating her body with respect.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGirl

I'm between those who think Belkar could have smelled something, by Durkula's weird exclamation. I could be wrong, but Belkar's been very untrusting of him, hating too of course, ever since he's been vampirized, so he might be now extra careful to stop everything out of place to prove he was right. Though Belkar is Belkar, one can never know with him...

As for the art style, I must confess that not only I didn't notice it in the previous strip, but not even in this until I've seen the forums. <.< Not a fan of the change from stick to noodle, but I accept the choice. The new font I had noticed, but thought it was only a particular one used for this particular situation or something.

Damn I feel so bad for Durkon :(
    English is not my native language. If you think I’m an illiterate dumb, please give me a chance: maybe I’m only dumb.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Orc in the Playground

Personally, I think the durkula's fall with the Order will be when he doesn't panic over a tree. He doesn't know to ask about it, if he has asked a more general question, he can skim past it and it would be a clear indication that the durkon of yesterday is gone.

Plus, it will be fulfilling for him to die to a spontaneous sharp tree branch.
    "Executioner" Dargh in A Very (un)Common Quest

17. - Top - End - #197
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Roy chided Julia to "put some clothes on, girl," only a few strips after he stopped making crude advances at Miko. At about the same time, he was making cracks about his time with Celia not being "entirely in a bed." Double standards are a thing, and telling women to cover up is not incompatible, under this kind of odious double standard, with allowing men to make sexually suggestive remarks.
    Reality check time: rules are different for adults (which Roy is), than for children (which Julia is). And if you think that big sisters don't try to tamp down the sexuality of their little brothers, you never had a big sister.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    And I think that we'll find out just how much Roy has noticed when the first feeding time for Durkon arrives. I think Belkar will warn against this plan. The real question is how much V has noticed, because if the Order has to stop a vampire with his fangs already fastened in Roy's neck, there's only one person who might be able to do that quickly.
    What, you think Durcula is going to screw up everything by trying to kill Roy when Roy's voluntarily feeding him?

Why?

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I post in the forum about once every two years. Seeing the new arc getting started, I just want to say that I find the new art style beautiful.
    b4k4 4 j00

20. - Top - End - #200

I'm surprised no one has posted on this yet.

The Mechane is damaged, and will need to stop for repairs. What will the Order do while the crew is rebuilding the engine?

Ladies and gentlemen, I think we have met today's special friend the start of this book's sidequest.

21. - Top - End - #201

Quote Originally Posted by GregTD View Post
    Well, look back at his lectures to Roy's younger sister, about the clothes she was wearing, and about treating her body with respect.
    Julia's a teenager, and Durkon's best friend's little sister.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

It does seem like Durkon is using "Thor" too much in his expressions though, doesn't he?

"Right as Thor's rain."

"Thor's nuts!"

Not that this would be conclusive proof to the party, but I'm sure by Belkar's expression he's thinking that as well.

23. - Top - End - #203

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Roy chided Julia to "put some clothes on, girl," only a few strips after he stopped making crude advances at Miko. At about the same time, he was making cracks about his time with Celia not being "entirely in a bed." Double standards are a thing, and telling women to cover up is not incompatible, under this kind of odious double standard, with allowing men to make sexually suggestive remarks.
    I always kind of thought that Roy's sexism was an intentional character flaw; it's presented often enough as a Bad Thing (his awful, awkward interactions with Miko, his karmic beatdown after calling his sister a skank for the way she dressed, etc) that it seemed so to me, anyways.
    3DS Friend Code: 3067-5674-0852. Currently running: Emerald.

Latias, Groudon, Rayquaza, Kyogre promised to JustPlayItLoud for a shiny Gastly, Gulpin, Frogadier, and Dedenne. Regirock, Regice, Registeel up for grabs.

Spoiler: Living Shinydex Progress 31/718 Newest Shiny: Buneary
    Show
    Gen I: 9/151
    Gen II: 6/100
    Gen III: 7/135
    Gen IV: 3/107
    Gen V: 3/156
    Gen VI: 2/69

Come visit World's Finest Gaming on Tumblr or Facebook or even our Youtube channel and watch me stream!

24. - Top - End - #204
    Orc in the Playground

What a clever way for Durkon to mess with Durkula and tip off Durkons friends (and Belkar) that things are not the way they seem.

The Thor's Nuts exclamation was almost like a secret code that only Belkar could grasp the significance of. Its like it gave Belkar a +15 against Durkula's bluff check.

It looks like Thor is in on the game too.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Belated, but welcome back, Giant! I've got your calendar on my wall, and it's very cool to see the new proportions on various critters. On the other hand, I'm okay with the shapes of people's bodies being old school. Thickening up a stick figure's (e.g.) hands might be a little odd. For now, the colors and clothes are snazzy enough. (It might take me a dozen or so strips to get used to the height of Roy's waist. Maybe if I pretend he's wearing a kilt, it'll help. Nothing wrong with a warrior donning a kilt.)

I have the feeling in my bones that not-Durkon is going to be in the driver's seat for quite a while, but I hope he keeps bragging as often as he does now. I do not object to evil characters boasting. It's a fine chance either for an impressive speech or for the good guy getting an opening to counterattack. (Or if you're Xykon vs. busted V, both.) Either way, pass the popcorn.

And P.S. -- bared veins and extracted organs make me nauseous. In case I didn't say so earlier, strip #946 gave me the gut-gagging creeps. Also, I wonder if Durkon can hear anything in there? Maybe he hears bits of the outer events, just enough to suggest the worst, but it's largely drowned out by the thumping, relentless barrage sound of not-blood coursing through his body.
    I have a DeviantArt page! My OotS posts are here, and the rest of my posts are here.

There are, like, tons of possibilities. We just have to pick one and make it happen. [...]
    Elan, I don't think a bunch of... of dreams and good feelings are going to help us defeat an ultra-powerful sorcerer lich.
    Sure they are! It's called "morale," Roy -- Or sometimes? "Hope."

26. - Top - End - #206
    Pixie in the Playground

I am surprised by the number of people that believe that the Order should suspect the "Thor's nuts" exclamation. They don't believe that this is the old Durkon, they believe it is some sort of weird evil version of Durkon; heck, Roy has demonstrated that he doesn't trust him fully, and that he wants to stake him as soon as they have access to resurrection.
    They don't expect the same personality as before, so some different turns of phrase will not arise suspicions (except from Belkar, who has already shown his willingless to destroy the vampire). Even swearing AGAINST Thor wouldn't be particularly worrying for them, since Vampire Durkon has said that he now gets his spells from dark energy, not from his "former" god. It would take something a couple of orders of magnitude higher than a curse to really make them think about the possibility that a spirit is impersonating their friend.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ORione View Post
    Julia's a teenager, and Durkon's best friend's little sister.
    I might add that she also recently approached Durkon with, "Look! Boobs! Don't you want to pay attention to the girl with the boobs?" Not...exactly related to the question of whether Durkon's above swearing by referencing quasi-sexual body parts. (Which he is not. "Nuts" is not significantly dirtier than "taint." Nor is it differently blasphemous because some hypothetical person might misunderstand it to be a statement about Thor's sanity rather than a reference to Thor's testicles, jeez, talk about a reach.)

28. - Top - End - #208

BarbarianGuy

Cunning Durkon. Well played.
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

29. - Top - End - #209

If this strip is setting up a way for Durkon to undermine HPoH's charade, then I would guess that he's doing it by giving related, but misleading, information first. For example, if the question HPoH asked was something like, "How would you react in this situation?", the most direct, helpful thing for Durkon to do would probably have been to show memories of how the Order first met Miko. In that comic (and the next few after it), we see that Durkon is highly superstitious about the weather, especially thunderstorms, and tends to consider them to be signs from Thor. If the storm inconveniences him, he'd see it as a warning to change course because they were doing something wrong.

However, Durkon instead answered the question with the beginning of a long-winded memory-tale about how his mother raised him to respect Thor and believe that pretty much everything that happens in the sky is a direct result of Thor's will. This story would also lead to the same answer - that Durkon would consider the storm a sign from Thor to be treated with respect and examined for deeper meaning. However, HPoH didn't have the patience to listen to the entire story, so he instead grabbed an oath from an incidental character in the memory and treated that as "good enough."

We won't know for certain if HPoH slips in his ruse until we see his actions in the next few comics. If he fails to play up Thor's influence and treat the storm as a divine sign, then he might raise suspicions. Swearing by Thor's Anatomy isn't really out of character, as others have demonstrated with numerous links already.
    I have decided I no longer like my old signature, so from now on, the alphorn-wielding lobster yodeler in my profile pic shall be presented without elaboration.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

Happens at the speed of thought? So 30 feet per 6 seconds?