Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Recruiting for the Witherlands

I have recently started a campaign for my friends, and it occurred to me that it could be fun to run the same campaign in a PBP forum here.

About Me: This is my first time DM'ing a PBP campaign, though I've had experience with forum-based RP in the past. I am not currently aware of the relative merits/downsides of any particular online character sheets, so any advice on that front would be greatly appreciated. We will be using entirely custom or edited races, so anything that restricts character sheet info in that regard will be out of the question. I have been DM'ing for over 5 years now, to varying degrees and for different game systems. I have run several Scion campaigns, though we leveled quickly, with each one being a little less than a year. I have also DM'd a Pathfinder campaign from levels 1 to 16, before life got in the way. I also DM'd (occasionally) in a round-robin campaign my group ran for about half a year. I'm used to weekly meetups, and I like to think that I work pretty fast.
    I am pretty much on this forum for several hours a day on most days, as my job is easy and has free WiFi. While I don't expect posts from my players every day, I hope to get a pace faster than 1 post per person per week.
    I have received positive reviews from all my players, and we have fun in every game.

About the Game: I plan to cover a large portion of ground in this campaign, travelling across countries and such. I'm trying to play up the cultural aspects and differences between regions, and I think I'm doing well despite my lack of experience with the subject. We will be using quite a few houserules, which I'm still modifying, and are mostly designed to help melee characters perform while making the spellcasters a little more conscious about their resources and decisions. I welcome input and advice on all subjects, and I like to reward out-of-the-box ideas and strategies. If I'm not sure about the rules regarding an action, I'll likely allow you to attempt it at least once, then make a ruling on it later at my leisure. While custom classes, 3rd party material, and extensive mutations are frowned upon, I'm not entirely against the ideas. I will be implementing rituals, the ability for anyone to cast spells when time and resources are available, though at early levels they will be rare and relatively unknown. We're playing PF, but most material from 3.5 can be grandfathered in easy enough, and will often get a slight boost to compensate.

About the Campaign: I'm going for something of a gritty survival setting this time around, at the request of my player group. While I don't intend to micro-manage rations and such, we will be dealing with environmental hazards, overpowered adversaries, and survival checks.
    Hundreds of years ago, before any living memory, there was a cataclysm known as the Withering. A great, foul miasma crept over the Charybdian Sea to the east, and overtook the land. It poisoned those who lived within it, and corrupted the animals and plants that grew in it. It drove men mad and scattered villages. Refugees fled underground, building walls or casting spells to keep the foul air at bay. They have remained underground ever since, with only the bravest and boldest daring to traverse the surface and visit the other colonies.
    The effects of this miasma are undocumented, but it is known to be lethal without proper protection. Mages also discovered that it inhibits their spells, forcing them to struggle to penetrate its corrupt, dissonant nature. In some cases, travelers have contracted a disease, which they believe is contracted through extended exposure to the vile miasma. Most troubling, perhaps, is that the miasma blocks and corrupts the sun's light, dimming it and allowing safe passage for all creatures of the night.
    Countries and borders have dissolved, and the surface is mostly a barren waste. The only distinction made regarding territories is the difference between the Great Plains and the Blackmire. The Blackmire, south beyond the Jormund mountains, is home to every manner of beast, monstrosity, and undead horde driven from the Great Withered Plains. Most colonies avoid the Blackmire and everything that comes from it, with the exception of the southern colonies: Ro'kas, Loggai, and Dymis. Ro'kas and Dymis remain neutral, choosing peace and cooperation instead of war with the Blackmire, but Loggai openly admits to consorting with and taking in the beasts that others fear. Necril, Abyssal, and Kerran are the common languages of the Blackmire, while Kerran, Karsi, Ansin, and Olcar are common in the Plains. The western colonies, Thoros, Garl, and Ro'kas speak Karsi, while in the east, Olcar is spoken in Azhuri, Horvos, and Dymis. Seryn in the north speaks Ansin, which it shares with Thoros and Azhuri. There is no singular common tongue.

Getting Started: I will post a link to this thread in the stickied "Recruiting Players" thread to fetch more attention. I'm looking for at least 3 players who can post at least 3 times a week, preferably. I'm comfortable with a larger group in this format, though if we have more than 6 players we'll need to increase the post rate. I'm not sure what the normal post rate on a PBP thread is, and if everyone's comfortable with it we can get it up to 1 or 2 posts a day, easy. I will follow this post with another for player information, the important 12 questions and whatnot, and use it for additional information. If you're interested in joining, please comment here. If you have any questions, please comment here or send me a PM. If I don't have anyone interested in a week, I'll call the whole thing off.

Character Creation Stats and Houserules in effect
    Last edited by gr8artist; 2014-04-22 at 07:38 PM.
    My Homebrew and Extended Signature
    Current avatar: Charza Sahlaren, by gr8artist

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: The Witherlands Campaign [PF]

System: Pathfinder, though 3.5 material is welcome
    Player Count: Looking for 4-6, though we can go as high as 8
    Style of Play: Exploration/Survival, average combat
    Allowed Content: All official PF and 3.5 material is allowed, except material which is campaign specific. 3rd party material is restricted, but can be allowed on a case-by-case basis if desired. Homebrew material with adequate peer review may be permitted. Houserules and changes can be implemented to mimic desired abilities or effects, on a case-by-case basis.

Character Creation: I am unsure what site/program to endorse, and am open to suggestions. I would like everyone to use the same style, however.
    • Backstory: Backstories will need to fit within the culture and setting, but are highly encouraged. I suggest finding a colony you like, such as Thoros or Garl, and asking me for specific details. I would like other players to discover information about your origin city which you might know from the start.
    • Experience: Level 1. We will be leveling at intervals of my choosing, without regard to experience points or encounter CR's. I will let you know when you are approaching your next level, so that you may plan and make choices without it needing to delay the game.
    • Wealth: Average starting wealth for a level 1 character of your class. Spend as much of this as you can, because there is no currency in the starting region, and any unspent "wealth" is effectively wasted. In addition to this, you gain a single item of personal significance to your character, which may be masterwork but not magical, and for which you do not need to spend starting wealth.
    • Ability Scores: Point buy system, 10 points. Points are detailed in the table below.
    • Hitpoints/Health: Max-2 at every level, including first.
    • Alignment: Neutral is encouraged for most players, though non-neutral alignments with appropriate roleplay are delightful. Alignment specific classes will need to be thoroughly roleplayed. Three races possess "natural alignments" which affect the reactions of spells and effects targeted at them. For example, a neutral Tiefling can be subject to a Paladin's smite evil, because he is inherently susceptible to such things. A good Tiefling, however, registers as neutral and cannot be smited (smitten?). Roleplay for these races should be based on the alignment you choose, not the alignment they register as mechanically.

Other Notes:
    • Character Creation and Houserules, v 2.0
    • We will be starting in Thoros (neighboring colonies are Seryn and Garl), so anyone wishing to participate in the beginning of the campaign needs some element in their backstory that explains their presence there. I will be more than glad to help with this. During the campaign, we'll be moving across the continent, so replacement characters can come from more exotic locales. Though the starting races might seem pale in comparison to the extensive library normally available, we'll be "unlocking" more exotic races as we encounter them in the world. My hope is that you can play nearly anything you want, though you may not be able to play it right now.
    • Point-Buy costs for those unfamiliar:
    Ability Score 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    Modifier -2 -1 -1 0 0 +1 +1 +2 +2 +3 +3 +4
    Points Cost +4 +2 +1 0 -1 -2 -3 -5 -7 -10 -13 -17
    (I know it looks bad, but we'll be getting ability bonuses at every even level, rather than every 4th)
    Last edited by gr8artist; 2014-04-07 at 07:15 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Haven't fully read everything but what I saw sounds interesting. Strange, but interesting. I'm inclined to make a aasimar oracle of lore, out trying to learn everything she can to fix everything. I'll get something up once I've thought a bit more.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Game seems interesting and I hope you get interest but I will give you a tip: You are in no way helping melee vs casters with 10 pb (seriously playing with 15 is pretty dang hard, with 10 they're over glorified NPC's) A caster can still get a 20 in their casting stat at level 1 and make all melee look pretty silly (really 10 is just ridiculously low, if you want a gritty feel 15 is low enough and if you want to give an edge to melee allow them 20 pb because they need it more and are much more MAD than casters). Sorry for clogging your thread I thought I would just offer some advice... most of the feat changes on your sheet are good (changing a few from +1 to +2 are not really worth the bother imo but hey it's better than the original) and the monk fix is pretty decent. Anyway best of luck to you
    Blarg...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

count me in
    "Do all the good you can, in all the ways you can, to all the souls you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, with all the zeal you can, as so long as you ever can" -John Wesley
    Deviant Art account
    Fairy Tail OC avatar by: your truly

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

This sounds interesting.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.

Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    It can also turn into a Star wars debate.

7. - Top - End - #7

Environmental Spell Resistance rule has been added to the bottom of the mechanics on the document linked. I had forgotten it before. Basically, every spell cast outside of a major town will require a small SR check or be wasted. Yet another reason to hate the air.

Edit: Also, I'm new to google docs, and I keep seeing "anonymous ifrit", "anonymous coyote", etc. pop up in the top-right corner. Anybody know what's up with that?
    Last edited by gr8artist; 2014-04-07 at 08:06 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I may drop. No listed city that is very pious.
    "Do all the good you can, in all the ways you can, to all the souls you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, with all the zeal you can, as so long as you ever can" -John Wesley
    Deviant Art account
    Fairy Tail OC avatar by: your truly

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

This looks interesting. I'll definitely try to pull something together for this.

Edit: Also, I'm new to google docs, and I keep seeing "anonymous ifrit", "anonymous coyote", etc. pop up in the top-right corner. Anybody know what's up with that?
    Those are people who aren't logged into a Google account. If they are it will say their names.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Count me interested, love the setting you've come up, and playing what would otherwise be a paragon of knightly virtue in any other world is giving my lots of ideas for a knight in tarnished armor for this one.
    'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Really liking the Ghul'mar race. I am curious about a few things. What changes would the factotum class receive (besides probably losing the turn undead on the channeling)? Hopefully, he would receive a few buffs....

Also thinking about finally trying this homebrew class. What do you think about it?
    Last edited by DaOldeWolf; 2014-04-07 at 08:34 PM.

On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.

12. - Top - End - #12

I am sadly lacking on 3.5 knowledge, especially the ToB, which I've heard so much about.
    So I don't really know much about the Chameleon's maneuvers, though I'll try to look it up in the near future.

I'm looking at the Factotum for the first time and it looks like an interesting class.
    Off the top of my head, you'd likely get more IP's per day (2+2/level, or Int+1/level). Your SLA's will still check against environmental spell resistance. Channel energy would have only the effects that it has in PF, no turning undead or whatever it did in 3.5. Additional changes may be warranted, I'll poke around and see if anyone has any ideas. Do you?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gr8artist View Post
    I am sadly lacking on 3.5 knowledge, especially the ToB, which I've heard so much about.
    So I don't really know much about the Chameleon's maneuvers, though I'll try to look it up in the near future.

I'm looking at the Factotum for the first time and it looks like an interesting class.
    Off the top of my head, you'd likely get more IP's per day (2+2/level, or Int+1/level). Your SLA's will still check against environmental spell resistance. Channel energy would have only the effects that it has in PF, no turning undead or whatever it did in 3.5. Additional changes may be warranted, I'll poke around and see if anyone has any ideas. Do you?
    IP's are not a daily pool, they are an encounter pool. So effectively they never will run out during a day as long as they get into new encounters.
    Blarg...

14. - Top - End - #14

Aha, that changes a few things

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Don't worry about the Martial focus. I was planning on switching that focus with the Mental Focus [Psionic] that appears as an option in the last section by giving up another focus.

Now, moving into the subject of the factotum. I see, about the change on inspiration points. i don't know what kind of upgrades could be good for it. Maybe give it the chance to use Opportunistic Piety to channel negative energy?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

After looking at the Doc I am interested in playing probably an Orc from Garl duel wielding garlian waraxes

17. - Top - End - #17

DW the waraxes (1d8, 19-20/x3) could be fun. I've always been sad that there's not any expanded crit weapons with crit multipliers better than 3, so I made one.

Have you by any chance come across anyone else's attempts to convert the factotum? It's a classic 3.5 fave, so I'm sure it's out there. One thing I really appreciate in PF is the ability to customize your class, ie. with rogue talents, barbarian rage powers, or sorceror bloodlines. I would implement something like that, though I can't really think of what. You could try starting a thread about it.

Anyone wishing to get more details about sub-cultures, ie the Thoran Devotions or Garlian Tribes, can PM me for the request. I want to keep that info as secret as possible, so the players that aren't from that region won't really know much about the subtle differences between the devotion to Steel and the devotion to Iron, and the possible insult from getting them mixed up.

18. - Top - End - #18

Hmm, I'm interested, although the 10pb thing seems unnecesarily harsh towards people who aren't wizards or other single attribute dependant classes.

Point buy means that those will always have an 18 to start with, and a 20 if the race permits.

I guess it more or less balances out with the weak magic, though, so maybe it's not so bad. It still incentivises dump stats, which I kind of find meh.

Edit; For sheets, I think myth-weavers is the standard thing to use around here, so I vote we go with that.
    Last edited by The Dragon; 2014-04-08 at 05:32 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

I really, really like what I'm reading here, from the emphasis on RP to the balancing out of martial/magical classes. Count me in for sure.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Sheet in progress but I have a question first... are we using traits? I didn't see any mention of them but standard defaults to 2 traits.

21. - Top - End - #21

BlackDragon

Sheet is a work in progress

22. - Top - End - #22

BlueKnightGuy

I'm interested, but the 10 point buy is also keeping me from committing. Even with the increased race modifiers...

23. - Top - End - #23

I've received a lot of hesitancy from the 10 pb. It was intended to make starting level characters weaker, more helpless, but as several people have pointed out, it still allows the wizard to max his stat to 18 or so pretty easily. While my base group rolled up just fine, they were a little squishy in the first encounter. My idea is that with the increased HP values (max-2 > max/2) and twice as many ability score bonuses, the characters should feel like their growing stronger at a more rapid rate than normal. Feats that self-improve and include additional benefits should also help out the classes that depend on them. I'm open to additional ideas to improve the nature of the game, and there are a few spells that will be restricted access or outright banned... I just have to figure out which ones, and make a list.

I do not think I will change the listed number of points.

I considered adding traits, but each race has a 10 point build, as does each background. 20 race points is nearly double the normal allotment for most common races, so I think adding in traits will get muddy and unnecessary. You can still take 2 traits with the "extra traits" feat, though for obvious reasons any regional/campaign specific traits are going to need to be reviewed.

We have two tentative character sheets up on Myth-Weavers, so that will be the accepted format.

Interested players: Calinero, The Dragon
    Tentative players: Nantafiria, DaOldeWolf, Tarren, LordHavlock
    Developing players: Eldon4, AngryCyC
    That's a total of 8 players in various stages of interest. I apologize if I missed anyone, or misunderstood your level of interest. While I think I can run a group that size without too much difficulty, I will begin considering a way to narrow down the field, if necessary.

EDIT: Also, when listing your known languages, please specify with an "(S)" for "speaking only", or an "(R)" for "read/write only." If you can do both, then you need no such indicator. Languages you can interpret intuitively (Aasimars, Tieflings, Ghul'mar) should be marked with an "(I)"
    Last edited by gr8artist; 2014-04-08 at 02:10 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Welll, here are the suggestions for factotums from a guide (besides getting rid of turn):

Level 6:
    Cantrips
    Skill Mastery
    Adaptive Learning: As a Rogue (Scroll Scoundrel) of the same level
    Familiar: As Wizard of the same level
    Archaeologist's Luck: As Bard (Archaeologist) of the same level
    Deep Pockets: as a Pathfinder Chronicler of 1/2 Factotum Level. Drawing an item costs 2 IP.
    Level 18:
    Gain access to a domain's granted power, using factotum level instead of cleric level

i also received suggestions about adding feats to the empty levels. And suggesting on making cunning brilliance a progressive ability to add a bit more custom ability to the class. Basically, it would be at level 7 they can choose one class ability available at level 5. Then at level 13, they can choose two class abilities up to level 10 and then at 19 it would be like the current cunning brilliance. not sure if it would sound good to add versatility.
    Last edited by DaOldeWolf; 2014-04-08 at 01:46 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Hey, I'm definetly interested. Here's my sheet, I'm still adding a thing or two, for which I'm going to require a slight few answers, for the sakes of convenience more than because I think things are bad:

- I've no way of discerning the strength of two-handed weapons, which my character will be using. If I could know where on the table 2h weapons are, I'd be able to add that to my character sheet.

- Seeing as I'll play a ranger, I'd appreciate some general pointers for favored enemies I may want to pick. If you want to keep things a secret that's fine, but I'd also rather not pick something that's just not going to show up, ever.

Looks fine other than that, though I might want to ask some questions if I can think of any. I'll just get to finishing up the sheet by now.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Give it a couple more days and you'll have a lot more interest than just this. As developed and interesting as this world looks, it's just a matter of time before you have 15 or 20 applications on here. It takes a couple days for people to check though sometimes.

27. - Top - End - #27

...it's just a matter of time before you have 15 or 20 applications on here.
    ... Yay...

Seriously, though, I want to thank everyone for your positive responses, and even for your constructive criticisms. My TT group's most recent game got canceled, so I was worried it wasn't an interesting campaign.

- I've no way of discerning the strength of two-handed weapons, which my character will be using. If I could know where on the table 2h weapons are, I'd be able to add that to my character sheet.
    Medium sized weapons use the damage listed in the book. The table shows the damage die changes for smaller and larger weapons. A medium longsword is still 1d8, but a small longsword is 1d4 instead of 1d6.

- Seeing as I'll play a ranger, I'd appreciate some general pointers for favored enemies I may want to pick. If you want to keep things a secret that's fine, but I'd also rather not pick something that's just not going to show up, ever.
    From Thoros (your BG), you'll have problems with underground stuff more than anything else. I should also take this time to mention that cultures are acceptable subjects for FE, though not for bane properties or magical effects. So you could take FE (Garl), since those two are adjacent to each-other and frequently warring. However, this might not always be relevant. Not a lot of fey or non-native outsiders, though we do have 3 aligned outsider races (Ghul'mar, Tiefling, Aasimar). Undead would be more common near the Blackmire, and most plants have withered and died.

No one should have any knowledge of Dragons or Constructs, though this has no bearing on their actual populations. You can still know draconic if you have reason to, but you wouldn't know anything about actual dragons.

Welll, here are the suggestions for factotums from a guide (besides getting rid of turn):
    Here's what I'm thinking.
    The table proceeds as written, with the following changes.
    • Op.P. must be specified at 5th level, and can be positive or negative, depending on your alignment and such.
    • At level 16, you can use Op.P. for positive or negative, but the previously restricted option costs an additional IP.
    • You gain Cunning Brilliance (1 ability) at level 7. You gain an additional ability per day at level 13, and another at level 19. You may select any Ex ability from a base class available to a member of that class whose level is your own - 4. So 3rd level when you're 7th, 4th when you're 8, 5th when you're 9, etc.
    • At levels 6, 12, and 18, you gain "Diversified Learning." At each of these intervals, you may choose a combat feat (as a fighter), rage power, bonus feat (as a monk), mercy, rogue talent, combat style feat (as a ranger), alchemist discovery, magus arcana, revelation, hex, ninja trick, or any feat which gives extra uses of an ability (such as "extra rage" or "extra bardic performance") for which you meet the prerequisites, and which the DM agrees is fitting for your character.

Does that sound acceptable to you? I'd also like to hear the input of anyone who's planning to play in the campaign, as I don't want anyone to feel like they're being cheated, or someone else favored.

EDIT: Someone asked about masterwork items. They may not be made of materials with special properties, such as adamantine. While weapons and armor are the obvious choice, nearly any skill can have a "masterwork tool" which provides a bonus on skill-checks. Your prized item needn't give you any mechanical buffs; an heirloom trinket or necklace would be excellent. The idea is more that you have an item that your character cherishes, more than that you have an item which is useful to you at this level.
    Last edited by gr8artist; 2014-04-08 at 03:29 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gr8artist View Post
    Here's what I'm thinking.
    The table proceeds as written, with the following changes.
    • Op.P. must be specified at 5th level, and can be positive or negative, depending on your alignment and such.
    • At level 16, you can use Op.P. for positive or negative, but the previously restricted option costs an additional IP.
    • You gain Cunning Brilliance (1 ability) at level 7. You gain an additional ability per day at level 13, and another at level 19. You may select any Ex ability from a base class available to a member of that class whose level is your own - 4. So 3rd level when you're 7th, 4th when you're 8, 5th when you're 9, etc.
    • At levels 6, 12, and 18, you gain "Diversified Learning." At each of these intervals, you may choose a combat feat (as a fighter), rage power, bonus feat (as a monk), mercy, rogue talent, combat style feat (as a ranger), alchemist discovery, magus arcana, revelation, hex, ninja trick, or any feat which gives extra uses of an ability (such as "extra rage" or "extra bardic performance") for which you meet the prerequisites, and which the DM agrees is fitting for your character.

Does that sound acceptable to you? I'd also like to hear the input of anyone who's planning to play in the campaign, as I don't want anyone to feel like they're being cheated, or someone else favored.
    Yes, this sounds great. I will start the char later today.

29. - Top - End - #29

I just realized I have no idea how to do a battle grid online. Any site you recommend? Or would you prefer a less detail-specific style of play, doing away with 5' steps and nitpicking over squares?

On the subject of natural attacks: Damage was not covered before, but the houserules list has been updated. A creature deals 1x Str damage with primary attacks, and only 0.5x Str damage with secondary. Natural attack damage is not reduced when combined with manufactured weapons. A creature mixing attack types makes 2-handed attacks at 1.5x Str, main hand attacks at 1x Str, off-hand attacks at 0.5x Str, primary natural attacks (at -5) at 1x Str, and secondary natural attacks (also -5) at 0.5x Str.
    This might help. Table assumes BAB of 11 or more
    Manufactured (with or without naturals) Attack Damage (xStr)
    2-Handed Full, -5, -5 1.5
    1-handed Full, -5, -5 1
    TWF - Main (w/ light in off-hand) -2, -7, -7 1
    TWF - Off hand -2, -7, -7 0.5
    Natural Only Attack Damage (xStr)
    Only 1 attack - always primary Full 1 (rarely 1.5)
    Multiple attacks - primary Full 1
    Multiple attacks - secondary -2 0.5
    Natural w/ Manufactured Attack Damage (xStr)
    Primary natural -5 1
    Secondary natural -5 0.5
    Last edited by gr8artist; 2014-04-08 at 05:27 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Maps are typically unnecessary as long as you describe the action and are okay with a little vagueness getting hand waved sometimes. Maps would only be super necessary with really big fancy battlers or if there are lots of traps or hazards or something.

Also would you be okay with a masterwork tool of survival, fluffed as a book my character is writing chronicling everything the Withering has caused? It'd basically grant the +2, but I'd also be writing it as we journey.