New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Entry level 3D printers?

To celebrate this year (CS degree, new career, job with a company that throws decent X-mas parties, etc.) I get to buy my first ever 3D printer. So I've been doing my research and kind of narrowed the field for my purchase but I would like to hear any suggestions or input from you guys.

The limits I'm working with are a budget of about $600 American or less and some free time. Technically I'm a programmer, I've designed small spaceships in Blender, and prefer UNIX based operating systems. My soldering skills are very rusty but I still have legos from three decades ago. The printer is going in the garage so noise and fumes won't annoy my wife. While I'm unlikely to exceed a six inch print any time soon I would like the option of both PLA and ABS but it's not a deal breaker. Detail and precision are slightly more important than reliability and speed isn't a concern.

The current prinyers I'm considering are the da vinci mini, creality CR10, and the monoprize mp select mini. What are your opinions?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Entry level 3D printers?

It's a bit above your ideal pricing, but I love my wife's Flashforge Creator Pro.

Also, congrats on the degree and career!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

The Taz LulzBot mini is about double your budget, but assuming you have 3D printer access (e.g at a library) that can drop. It's an open source 3D printer designed to be largely printable by a 3D printer, with all of the files needed to print pieces already there. The other pieces are sold directly, and all of this together should fit within $600 and some free time. The software is all free and open source.

I can confirm that it works too - the 3D printer lab at my university printed a bunch of Taz parts and used other Taz parts plus some extended rods to assemble a monster of a printer that works just fine, with dimensions of 6'x4'x3' or so.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a Monoprice Mini. It's an excellent printer for its size. It also has a couple of friendly and helpful users groups on Facebook.

If I had $600 to spend on a larger printer to go with the Mini, I'd probably get a Prusa i3 MK2S kit if I had to spend the money right now. However, I'm not 100% solid on that choice, and I'd prefer to do some further research first. The Qidi dual extruder printer looks good for the money, for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?