Level: Sor/Wiz 4
    Components: V,S,M
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Close (25ft. +5/ 2 levels)
    Target: One creature
    Duration: One round/level
    Saving throw: Will partial (see text)
    Spell Resistance: Yes.

The target creature becomes stuck in a time loop. If it has moved in the last round, it immediately teleports to where ever it was at the beginning of the round. Each round that the spell lasts, the creature returns to that spot with no memory of anything that has happened since Time Loop was cast. The creature gets a new Will Save each round. If the creature fails its Will save, it does exactly what it did in the round before the spell was cast. If it attacked an enemy who has moved, it attacks the location where the enemy used to be. It cannot percieve what is really there, instead seeing what was there the round before the spell was cast.
    A creature that succeeds on the Will save can act normally, but is still teleported and still suffers the memory loss.
    At the end of the spell, the targeted creature remembers only the most recent round.
    Material Component: A small loop of string.

Not sure about the level or the mechanics. Any comments would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Glooble Glistencrist; 2007-02-06 at 11:22 PM.
    GENERATION 18. The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Project:

My Creations:

Check out Vote up a Power!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Time Loop [spell]

A) What if there is something that interferes with him taking the normal course of action? Say I conjure up a Wall of Iron right in the guy's path.

B) Seems a bit overpowered when you consider that technically the victim should lose Dex to AC since everyone's effectively invisible to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

3. - Top - End - #3

I assume he runs into the wall. The aspect of making everyone invisib le is no better than blindness/deafness (or for that matter Hold Person) - level 2 spells.
    GENERATION 18. The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Project:

My Creations:

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I would have this trigger a will save each round, or allow for a Will: negates. As a fourth level spell, I feel this is too strong(but not by much, after all, shivering touch is 3rd level)

5. - Top - End - #5

Will save every round is actually what I intended, I just forgot to put it. Changed.

Current Project:

My Creations:

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I love it. Sticking people into a time loop is a great idea, and I don't notice any of those nasty little temporal paradoxes that pop up with a lot of time spells. Question: What if aforementioned wall of iron is conjured into the spot where he will teleport back to while he is moving? the same that that normally happens if you teleport into something solid?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quick question: would this be a quick way of wasting all of someone's spell slots, or extending them for one round/level? I'm not sure what fourth- or third-level spell would benefit from being cast seven times in quick succession, but I am sure some people are more ingenious than me. Or perhaps it'd be a good way of wasting all someone's higher-level slots; how many times in a row does a person really need to cast stoneskin?

I would guess the latter, but clarification never hurts...

8. - Top - End - #8

Hadn't thought about that. My thought is everything resets at the beginning of the loop - that means any spell slots used in the loop were never used, but any ability bonus or the like that were gained never happened. This also opens itself up to abuses though. Any suggestions?

Current Project:

My Creations:

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

If the subject can't actually return to the spot because of something else occupying it, maybe he gets moved to the next nearest open space, with the teleport rules on the damage that would occur, and then the spell could either end, or the spell designated this new space for the starting point?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

*nod*, volley of fireballs!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

It's a very interesting spell. But what does "acts normally" means? He just changes the loop action? Because if he is still trapped in the loop effect, it sounds like it's useless to even roll a will save at all.
    1. Character moves.
    2. Wizard casts spells.
    3. Character returns to starting point and moves again.
    4. Character fails the will save.
    5. Character returns to starting point and moves again.
    6. Character fails the will save.
    7. Character returns to starting point and moves again.
    8. Suceeds on will save.
    9. "Acts normally"
    10. Character returns to starting point and ???

It reminds me of this "Power Rangers"-like show. The characters get stuck into a time loop that spans all day long. They repeat things everyday, and just barely starts to notice something is wrong. Thing is, at every loop, they get more tired, and more hurt from each "repeated fight", without gaining benefits from rests and these things. That's how you planned this to happen? Or just a "Hold Person" variation?

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

I would think it would work like this:
    Spoiler
    Show

1. Target barbarian (let's call him Lork) Power Attacks some random flunky, who dies.
    2. Evil wizard (EW for short) casts spell. Lork takes five-foot step forward and Power Attacks a flunky who no longer exists.
    3. Lork takes five-foot step forward and Power Attacks a flunky who no longer exists. EW casts lightning bolt on Lork.
    4. Lork takes five-foot step forward and Power Attacks a flunky who no longer exists; EW casts lightning bolt on Lork.
    5. Lork makes his Will save. As far as he can tell, no rounds have passed; a random mook has been cut in half by... something, and all of a sudden he feels like a meteor just hit him. He figures that EW is responsible, so he charges EW and Power Attacks. EW gets hit, and gets the hell out of the way.
    6. Lork does not make his Will save. As far as he can tell, one round has passed; a random mook has been cut in half by... something, and all of a sudden he feels like a meteor just hit him. He figures that EW is responsible, so he charges EW and Power Attacks-- but doesn't hit him, because EW had moved elsewhere in Round 5.

13. - Top - End - #13

That's exactly what I'm going for! The only problem is I'm not 100% sure how to implement it mechanically.

Current Project:

My Creations: