New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Dresdon Files rpg any good and does it contain spoilers?

Does the Dresdon Files rpg contain spoilers and how far though the series do you need to be for them not to be spoilers?
    Secondly is the Dresdon Files rpg good?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Dresdon Files rpg any good and does it contain spoilers?

I think it contains some spoilers up until book 10 or so.

As for the rules, have you ever played a FATE game before? It requires a degree of buy-in from the players to work. The DMV and setting advice is top-notch however.
    Currently playing the Maya in Civilisation V Multiplayer 3: Swimsuit edition.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Somebloke View Post
    I think it contains some spoilers up until book 10 or so.
    That would be correct. There are spoilers of varying weight for all books through Small Favor (book 10). There are no spoilers for books past that.

Most of the spoilers are in Our World, but both books have some.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by somethingrandom View Post
    Does the Dresdon Files rpg contain spoilers and how far though the series do you need to be for them not to be spoilers?
    Secondly is the Dresdon Files rpg good?
    Yes. Yes. The game is good at representing the way the novels seem to work, although it does require a change in attitude for most players since the game works on story logic, not internal rules logic. The spellcasting system requires examples, and the ones that are there aren't the best. That said Evil Hat's website has blog links that provide excellent explanations of how those rules work. I don't personally recommend using the highest refresh options off the hop since somebody will make a full blown wizard and doing so can be problematic if you don't know how different things interact.

Also, if you have PDF copies do some copy/pastes on the blacked out parts of the text for some humourous notes from Evil Hat.
    Last edited by Beleriphon; 2014-04-15 at 01:26 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Yup, what the folks here have said. Fate's a great game, and DFRPG is a great implementation of Fate 3. But it can be a bit of an adjustment coming from more traditional games.

I wrote a bunch of stuff on "grokking" Fate coming from a traditional rules set, if you go to the Fate Core Google+ group and search for "thought of the day". It may help past that initial "wait, this looks like <x>, but doesn't always act like it" hurdle.