Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: How would you roleplay a LE?

Another good example is the sort of classic interpretation of "the devil" (in the non-DnD sense.) You make a deal with him, and he'll stick to that deal. Just not always in the way that you suspect. He will never actually break the deal, but it will almost never turn out like you wanted.

Edit: Don Corleone from The Godfather is another good example. He has people killed, exploits people for money, the whole shabang. But he was devoted absolutely to his family. His son, on the other hand, turned out more CE.
    Last edited by averagejoe; 2007-02-08 at 02:31 AM.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

The master manipulator. Everyone and everything is a piece in a game.
    Terrence Randall and the Kinslayer by NEO|Phyte
    Dencamp Bertrande takes a bow.
    Spoiler
    Show

Terrence Randall by The Stoney One

Rennac Belnades by Lord Iames.

3. - Top - End - #33

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Cybren View Post
    I play lawful evil as a manipulator. A controlling, heartless puppetmaster who avoids acting outside of authority to get his goals, but has no problem manipulating the authority to further his own goals. Someone who would kill you if he has to, and if he does, he is sincere when he asks for any last requests.
    Sounds like Dr. Lecter to me.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amphimir MŪriel View Post
    Darth Vader is definitely LE... but not because he was on the side of the "law and goverment", but because the Jedi Order and the Old Republic were too large, complicated and unwieldy to be ordered and lawful, and he hated that.

Palpatine sucessfully exploited Anakin's desire for an ordered, heirarchical goverment, where everybody knew who was on top and obeyed without question.

Obi-Wan, Yoda and Mace Windu were just dumb to see that Anakin had more and more issues with authorities he saw as chaotic and erratic and began to relate more and more with an authority figure he saw as forceful and ordered.

Of course, Palpatine also exploited Anakin's childish insecurities and his recklessness, and the Jedi were foolish on more ways than can be counted, but that's another story alltogether.

Darth Vader is not lawful evil, heís chaotic evil. Heís not the crazy lunatic type chaotic evil. Heís the kind you donít see coming. Heís strongly ruled by his emotions. He killed the captain of the Tantive IV (the ship he attacks at the opening of A New Hope), not because he couldnít get any information out of him, but because he was mad they hadnít found the stolen plans to the Death Star yet. He fought and killed Obi-Wan not because of some duty to the emperor, but because he has a personal grudge against him, after all he thinks Obi-Wan is the one that drove Padmť against him, heís the one responsible for his broken body. Heís not responsible for his own decent into darkness, its all Obi-Wanís fault.

In empire strikes back, Vader kills a lot of his high-ranking officers, not so much for their own failures, but because heís mad that they failed. Just listen closely to Vaderís speech he gives the commanders before the attack on echo base (the part when the guy on the view screen is choked to death). Vaderís voice nearly breaks while he addresses Admiral Ozzle. That happened because heís freaking pissed off at Ozzle for screwing up.
    Vader also tries to convert Luke to the dark side, not because the emperor wants him to (he managed to convince him to allow him to try), but he did so out of love for his son, even though heís really never seen him. Even before he got permission to capture Luke, he was searching for him, because he knew they were related. If he was lawful he would have killed Luke at Bespin (knowing the emperor would be pleased either way), but he sort of let him get away, when he realized he couldnít bring himself to kill him. So he let Luke fall off the railing.

In return of the Jedi, Vader lets them on the planet so he could talk to him, he could have ordered them shot out of the sky and the rebellion would never have known and still flown into the trap. The emperor counted on Vader to let them down there so he could show of his own deviousness, and also to try to get Luke to fall when he revealed his big plot.
    Now, Luke saw Vaderís compassion for him at Bespin. He saw that he could possibly turn him back to the light side of the force and counted on Vaderís compassion to use to turn him.

Now Luke is chaotic good, for the same reasons Vader is chaotic evil. Luke is ruled by his emotions. He runs off to rescue his folks even though obi-wan told him it was too dangerous. Lukeís the one that wanted to run off and rescue Leia, because he had a crush on her even when Obi-Wan told him to stay put. Later that crush turned into the sort of love a brother has for his sister (not in a dirty way, get your heads out of the gutter).
    During Empire strikes back we see a more tempered character, heís been in the rebellion for a while, heís got his own command and has a lot of responsibilities. But on Dagobah Lukeís chaotic side gets to be shown, when he had that vision about his friends dying horribly. He couldnít get it out of his head and decided to go and try to save them. Even though his mentors told him to stay and wait until he was ready to take on Vader. The cost of his recklessness was loosing a hand.

With Return of the Jedi we see an even more tempered version of Luke. Heís less wild, more mature and vastly more experienced in the world. Heís lost a lot of his innocence, but not all of it. He cares deeply for the people around him and tries to protect them when at all possible. But his chaotic side still showed up, during the battle with Vader, first he snatches up his lightsaber and starts the fight, but he regains his composure and stops fighting. Vaderís able to use Lukeís love for his sister to provoke Luke into fighting back, eventually severing his hand, clearly you can see heís angry. Then he manages to regain his composure and stand up to the emperor (only to be zapped by the emperorís favorite force power).

I could go on but itís late and Iím tired. If you havenít guessed Iíve given this a lot of though. So Iíll post more later, probably on Anakin, the emperor and Leia.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

I guess I have a few views on Lawful Evil.

1) Honor-bound. This is the type who wishes evil, but will not break a personal credo (never harming a child/woman/invalid, always honoring a contract, honoring debts, that sort of thing), no matter the potential payoff.

2) Exploiter. The type of person who, as described, knows the law so well, he can do anything legally. They also honor contracts, but most likely because the contract contains a minuscule, highly unlikely escape clause that he sees through to execution.

3) User. What I like to call, "The Urza Clause." This person is the most dangerous, in my mind. They have friends, and may even love. But nothing is more important than their one, driving goal. The only thing you can count on is for him to toss you away after you've fulfilled your apparent usefulness (So-called the Urza clause because that is, essentially, what makes him tick).
    Spoiler
    Show

Veeratar© Enhanced
    MTI Avatar by Ceika. Now get on your face!
    Professor AngelSword by FDL. Fascinating!
    Berith AngelSword by Ceika.

Wicked Savior
    Exile
    Heart of Gold

Castles & Chemo - Granting a +4 to Saves vs. Cancer!

6. - Top - End - #36

IE Hannibal:I would say overall he is chaotic, with strong outward nuances towards being lawful. Especially if you read the books instead of going from just the movie.

Lector has a complete disdain/disregard/burning,hating,contempt for authority, especially the law, (clearly chaotic), but really only because he considers himself to be superior in all aspects. Any situation where authority is excersized over him only lights that burning, inner rage, as it highlights a breach of his special 'natural order of things.' (kinda lawful, but its a personal code, not one shared with society)

On the other hand, he is meticulous in his adherence to the laws of the social elite. And its not entirely cover. Lector admires, yes loves, the finer points of human civilization. Art, Food, Wine, Music, Culture in all its aspects, he worships these artforms in the pinnacle of their perfection. Now, the pleasant niceties of society, the how-do-you do's etc.., on one hand, you know he doesn't give a damn about the actual people (he IS a sociopath), but instead it is the art of conversation, the art of politeness, to which he is addicted. (Lawful, but only vaguely... as it is more the love of the refined code itself, rather than the meaning of the code, how it applies to people and the effect thereof, to which he adheres to. The only time he cares about how it effects others, is when it is showcasing his superiority over them. Lawfully selfish.)

In the end, you have to remember he is a sociopath. Albeight, a finely cultured, highly educated, and overwhelmingly intelligent sociopath. But still, a sociopath. And chaotic by definition, despite his lawful trappings. After the fine dinner party, he cuts people's ears' off for reasons which while sensible to himself, could only be construed as chaotic and on a hair-trigger by any sane person.

It really comes down to your perspective on this case. In Lector's world, he is supremely Lawful, and probably not exactly evil. Human beings are foul animals, and he is their God, free to do with them as he likes.

In our world, yeah, thats the definition of crazy. And in his case, a sociopath. And it's hardly lawful.
    Last edited by daggaz; 2007-02-08 at 04:49 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

The epitome of Lawful Evil: Khellendros (aka Skie) from Dragonlance.

If you've ever read some of the 5th Age books, Skie entire purpose in life since the death of Kitiara is to restore her spirit back to life. he calls it loyalty and devotion, but it's more akin to love. Everything he does, all the evil acts her performs is all in a quest to bring her back. He even starts to echo her personality at times, being honorable even to enemies and such.

I suppose an easier idea is Lord Soth, being bound by the Code and Measure even though he's a death knight, but Skie is way cooler.

If you're going for the Star Wars references, Boba Fett is Lawful Evil. Everything he does is for either credits or his own personal gain (including knowledge). If he's not being paid to kill someone, he won't do it - there's no gain in it. You see that a lot when he runs in Bossk - killing him would make life easier, but there's no reason to.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

You also see it when he delivers on a contract and then immediately takes a job from the guy he just turned over to rescue him.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

9. - Top - End - #39

Well, I'm a dab hand of Lawful Evil. My friends say I'm LE in RL because I'm so good at it! My two favourite types of Lawful Evil are:
    The Manipulator - This is a socialite (often a merchant, noble or lawyer) who uses his charisma, wealth and power to manipulate people into doing unsavoury things for him. He is not overly concerned with social mores, except where they reflect on his character, and will happily consider evil (but covert) tactics.
    The Dark Knight - This is a strongly principled and highly organised person, but without any thought for compassion or "lesser mortals". His lord's will is his duty and his word is his bond. He'll burn down a populated village, ride over a starving peasant or execute a dozen innocents to find a traitor, but he will always do as commanded and act according to some sense of personal honour.

My favourite LE character (one I played online for four or more years) was a mix of these two. He was firmly in the manipulator camp, but who was also fanatically loyal to the God of Evil, a respected family man and strictly honourable to all who dealt fairly with him. He believed in civilisation, community, order and education, yet he also dreamt about personal power, crushing his many enemies and ensuring the supremacy of his fell deity.
    Last edited by Caelestion; 2007-02-08 at 06:09 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Daggaz I think hit the Lechter nail on the head. Lechter definitely has a personal code of conduct, but it's personal, and it only applies to whomever he decides it applies. And that is almost as random as the people he decides to dine on. (okay, maybe not, but many of his victims are random and opportunistic, particularly in the second movie). Being Chaotic does not imply that someone is by necessity not in control of their actions, it just means that whatever their methods of making decisions, they have more freedom over their actions than folks who are Lawful. Sometimes this is whimsy, sometimes is a deeply personal code that is beyond society's rules.
    As far as the original post, there have been a number of excellent suggestions. We currently have a LE assassin in my party. Her loyalty is to the Emperor of the setting, so she does his bidding. Somebody needs killing, she'll do it. The thing that makes her evil (in my eyes) is that she ENJOYS it. It's quite entertaining, we have a LE, LN, and a LG character all in the same party, and our ethics discussions on the course of action in any given scenario is quite amusing. Especially since the LG player is a relative newbie (2yrs), so I think she sometimes gets offended or a little personally riled up when the LN and LE agree on something.
    Anyway, that's one take on it.
    Than: like your interpretation of ol' Darth. I'd have fallen into the LE camp, but you make a good case.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

The Fanatic. Somebody who's so dedicated to a tradition, religion, government, or society so much that they're beyond the bounds of compassion, can be Lawful Evil. Examples of this would be supporters of an evil cult, the overbearing guardsman who throws kids in the dungeon for loitering, and the lich.

The Manipulator. Somebody who uses the law for evil ends can be Lawful Evil. Examples of this would be the corrupt lawyer, or the soldier who "creatively interprets" his orders. The evil king, who essentially is the law but uses his authority for evil, also falls into this category; as does the evil advisor.

The Narcissist. EDIT: bad description ... A person who serves an evil ruler because they're the ruler; but fights honorably. He feels morally superior to his foes, because he doesn't get his own hands dirty. He may have a code of conduct that prevents him from (for instance) killing an unarmed man, or attacking children. Nonetheless, he's willfully and knowingly in the service of an evil cause. Assassins and standard "black knights" (though not blackguards) fall into this category.
    Last edited by Telonius; 2007-02-08 at 10:36 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42

My favorite RP of the LE alignment is the disciplined, stone cold killer. Always an assassin. Follow the traditions, the code, and help out your brothers. Unless you need to off one of them for failing... but thats part of the job you signed up for.
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrTenko View Post
    TimeWizard, you've got to do something about all that Clarity you've got. It starts by just ruining jokes, but soon you'll be dreaming of electric sheep and stuff. It can't be good for you.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by TheThan View Post
    He fought and killed Obi-Wan not because of some duty to the emperor, but because he has a personal grudge against him, after all he thinks Obi-Wan is the one that drove Padmť against him, heís the one responsible for his broken body. Heís not responsible for his own decent into darkness, its all Obi-Wanís fault.
    He killed Obi-Wan to settle old grudges, which were in the vague mysterious past. Who the heck is this "Padme" person?

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

14. - Top - End - #44
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Examples of Lawful Evil.

I'd say the cerebral Tarkin ("Fear will keep them in line...") over Vader for the epitome of Star Wars LE.
    I'd also say Cardinal Richelieu from Dumas' Musketeers books; a Machiavellian arch-pragmatist in vestments.

Discworld's assassins are heavily towards the lawful axis of LE. They punctiliously follow their twisted, but internally logical code, and are perfect gentlemen to everyone - except their target. Perhaps surprisingly they are actually a force for political stability in their society.
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2007-02-08 at 12:24 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    Examples of Lawful Evil.

Discworld's assassins are heavily towards the lawful axis of LE. They punctiliously follow their twisted, but internally logical code, and are perfect gentlemen to everyone - except their target. Perhaps surprisingly they are actually a force for political stability in their society.
    The quotes that sticks with me in relation to Ankh-Morpork Assassins are as such. Can't remember what books they are from from(or even the quote, exactly), sorry. Still, they give the idea.

"They remove the razors from the candyfloss of life."
    "They take in boys, give them a good raising, a fine education, and incidentally, teach them how to kill people."

I agree, they are on the very lawful side of Lawful Evil.

My personal favorite lawful evil is the Black Knight Archetype. Honorable, Chivalrous, true to your word, and absolutely merciless and ruthless.
    Last edited by The_Werebear; 2007-02-08 at 12:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraneaux View Post
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    The Narcissist. EDIT: bad description ...
    An actual narcissist would also make a good LE bad guy. He considers himself to be on the pinnacle of sophistication (albeit misunderstood by the public), be it as an art collector, corporate manager/world dominator, torturer, whatever... and rather than killing his nemeses when he captures them, he clothes them appropriately, treats them with the best manners, and offers them the honor of witnessing his art. Of course, the hero is going to decline in a horribly rude manner, which will force the narcissist to put him to death in a particularly poetic way.

Yeah, that sounds like just about every James Bond villain.
    Catharsis

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by Wippit Guud View Post
    The epitome of Lawful Evil: Khellendros (aka Skie) from Dragonlance.

If you've ever read some of the 5th Age books, Skie entire purpose in life since the death of Kitiara is to restore her spirit back to life. he calls it loyalty and devotion, but it's more akin to love. Everything he does, all the evil acts her performs is all in a quest to bring her back. He even starts to echo her personality at times, being honorable even to enemies and such.

I suppose an easier idea is Lord Soth, being bound by the Code and Measure even though he's a death knight, but Skie is way cooler.

If you're going for the Star Wars references, Boba Fett is Lawful Evil. Everything he does is for either credits or his own personal gain (including knowledge). If he's not being paid to kill someone, he won't do it - there's no gain in it. You see that a lot when he runs in Bossk - killing him would make life easier, but there's no reason to.
    I'm surprised that you didn't include Raistlin Majere in that line-up, you heretic. Good example of lawful evil.

As a boy, Raistilin was the kid everybody loved to hate. He was named the "Sly One" because his wits and sleight-of-hand often compensated for his sickliness, lack of strength and physical appearance. He despises people in general because he continually sees evidence that they are usually bigoted, insecure and bullying hypocrites. Even self-professed prophets and "holy" knights, often use their beliefs as a veneer for their prejudices (i.e. against demihumans, wizards, etc.) This is because they do not implement their ideals in a fashion that is either consistent or rigorous.

As a result, he often acts in honorable manner towards those too weak to defend themselves. He of course, also believes in proper planning, self-discipline and is a method-oriented person; partially because he views the lack of intelligence and strong internal logic as being the major flaws in his peers.

Of course, during the actual "War of the Lance," he goes from both Team Good to Team Evil, although it'd be more accurate to say that he was always out for himself. He fulfills his personal obligations but he doesn't give a rat's ass about either side, whom he sees as being generally composed of vapid and superficial fools. Neither side presents a vision for managing all of creation that he particularly cares for, being that they are concoctions of either hypocrites or deluded and spineless patriots. He betrays Team Good to get better magical prowess and in the end, incites a civil war against Team Evil, because frankly, having an evil goddess hold sway over all creation would be inconveniencing.
    Last edited by LurkerInPlayground; 2007-02-08 at 02:21 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48

Only of course his "actual" alignments are Neutral and Neutral Evil.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

I could see Lawful Evil as being the most likely to work with a group of adventurers in a typical setting. He may do it under orders, or simply to use them as a means to an end. As long as they're useful to him, he probably won't betray them, and may go so far as to rescue them if they get in trouble and he thinks he'll need them later.

If considering a LE player character in a N-to-G party, think of their motivation. If the campaign looks like it might be going for a while, the LE character should be needing the party for most if not all of the way. Set his ultimate goal as something that's obtainable around level 20, such as "Steal the Ruby of Heart's Torment from the ancient white dragon Frazzakazz" or "Unite the orcish tribes under your banner in preparation to march on the civilized lands." Naturally, he should be smart enough to realize he can use the fools- er, adventurers to help him further his goals, and helping them as well may bring them around to his point of view eventually.

A one-shot campaign should have the LE working with the party in the short term only, and gives him leeway to betray them if necessary. At the least, the end of the adventure should see him telling the rest of the party: "I thank you for your aid, but now that I have the Dark Book of Th'th'th'thnfnblort, I no longer need to accompany you. Perhaps we shall meet again. Goodbye."

*shrug* I give it some thought occasionally.

20. - Top - End - #50

PaladinGuy

Anyone with a rigid and demanding code of honor that has utter disregard for human life and dignity (at least, the life and dignity of those below him) would be a good candidate for Lawful Evil. The samurai in the novel Shogun fit that description pretty well: courteous to each other, utterly loyal to their superiors, in possession of art and poetry and music that would shame any European knight - and capable of murdering a commoner without flinching for any of a thousand violations of the utterly draconic rules of society.

I based my hobgoblin society in my game after medieval Japan for just that reason. It fits perfectly.
    Honor guard at the funeral in the Miko Fan Club.

Those who are too stupid to run, I salute you.

Human Male, age 31

"Have you come to lecture me on my evil ways?"

"Actually, I brought you some supper. But if you'd prefer a lecture, I've a few very catchy ones prepped; sin and hellfire... one has lepers."

- Inara and Book, Firefly

21. - Top - End - #51

best LE ever: the operative from Serenity.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Halfling in the Playground

First thing that comes to mind is similar to the OP. A leader who uses other people to break the law/do his bidding.

However, LE offers a fair bit of diversity. I like the idea of an LE assassin (not necessarily the class Assassin, either). You're totally cool with killing people, but you have a personal list of requirements that must be met on the target, or there are organizational/personal doctrines on the execution of the objective.

23. - Top - End - #53

See, in my opinion the problem with LE is in the difference between it and LN. I often see Neutral people as being lacking in morals, though not explicitly evil. For example, let's say I have a character who has no qualms with killing someone if he thinks it's a good idea or would lead to his own personal gain. However, he will not torture people or draw out their death longer than necessary--he will kill them quickly and efficiently.

Is he LN or LE?
    <Rexatar
    Spoiler
    Show

Fiscal Mereor, by NecroPaladin.

Spoiler
    Show

Kyrian, describing my very own Fourth Empire...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyrian View Post
    ...god damned moron organizations full of morons...

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tormsskull View Post
    Even better. Boy from Turkey and girl from UK wake up in Vegas married to one another. We'll call it Dude, Where's My Country?

24. - Top - End - #54
    Banned

Raistlin Majere is a cross between neutral and lawful evil. In the earlier books (but after be became evil) and near the end he follows a very basic code, however in the middle of his evil he thinks of himself more than any other being, because he thinks all others are fools, inculdeing the cowardly and self serving gods. And in Dragonlance, i personally think he is the best character. Anyways,
    Artimis Enteri from R.A. Salvator's books would be LE. He does his job as an assiasion, kills without mercy, and is utterly ruthless, however he does not kill those who are not connected to him, nor does he kills those who don't get in his way. he is also completly dedicated to self perfection, and to becomeing hte worlds best swordsmen, which makes him insanely jealous of Drizzt.
    Light from DeathNote starts out as LE. He follows a very perticular code in order to purge the world of evil. However, he kills anyone who gets in his way, breaking his own code. he also wishes to instate himself as a god. He their for become NE. he still follows a code, but breaks it when it is convent.
    Rommel from real life would be LE (until his attempted assianation of Hitler of course). He still does the nazies bidding, and was involed in multible jew and black killings. However, he act like a gentalmen and an honorable soilder to his british enemies, and treats his prisioniors with respect. He is also critical of Hitler's ideas and murders. Look him up for more details
    Scar from Full Metal Alchemist is LE. He abides a very scrite code, and dedacates himself to 1 goal, but he also protects his people and works for their well being. However, dispite that, he kills any inocent that gets in the way of his goals.
    Silas from the Devici code is LE. Dispite beliving he is doing the lords willl, he is still a killer. However, he is deeply relgions and repents in the end.
    Sarorack From Balder's Gate is LE. He belive that the strong rule the weak, and that he is the unltiment incartation of the strong. However, He is very loaly to his comrades in armeds and close assosets. And he never breaks his word.
    The Slicer from Full Metal Alchemist is LE. He is a pair of serial killing brother who's souls are trapped to a single suit of armor. However, dispite the fact he likes killing for the shear joy of it, he fights his foes fairly and seems to follow some kind of code. In the anime, when he is defeated, one brother kills himself because he lost.
    Miko is now LE. She still follows some sort of code (i think) and will do anything to further her belief of justice. Just what it is remains to be seen.
    Redcloack is LE. He is quite loaly to Xycon and his goblin follows. However he hates his hobgoblins and like to kill them.
    Lord Sloth is LE, for reason said before.
    Lord Straqh (the vampire lord from Ravenloft, i can't spell his name) is NOT LE. While he is charming and urban, he is completly dedicated to one goal and has not moral code which he abides by, even the consent of the one he chases.
    From,
    EE

25. - Top - End - #55
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by EvilElitest View Post
    Rommel from real life would be LE (until his attempted assianation of Hitler of course). He still does the nazies bidding, and was involed in multible jew and black killings. However, he act like a gentalmen and an honorable soilder to his british enemies, and treats his prisioniors with respect. He is also critical of Hitler's ideas and murders. Look him up for more details
    I'd like to dispute Rommel's alleged "evilness."
    "The Afrika Korps [under Rommel] was never accused of any war crimes, and Rommel himself referred to the fighting in North Africa as "Krieg Ohne HaŖ"- war without hate. Numerous examples exist of Rommel's chivalry towards Allied POWs, such as his defiance of Hitler's infamous Commando Order, as well as his refusal of an order from Hitler to execute Jewish POWs. When British Major Geoffrey Keyes was killed during a failed Commando raid to kill or capture Rommel behind German lines, Rommel ordered him buried with full military honors. Also, during the construction of the Atlantic Wall, Rommel directed that French workers were not to be used as slaves, but were to be paid for their labor."
    --Wikipedia
    Last edited by Folie; 2007-02-08 at 10:31 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

Does anyone else think that the Punisher would make a good example of LE? I certainly laugh at anyone who claims he's on the good side of the chart. Though I suppose I should point out that I have limited knowledge of his character beyond the movie.

I find it interesting that so many people here are of the opinion that Lawful implies social compliance. I'm not a philosophical relativist, but I certainly can't deny the impressive array of social norms in existence. That immediately eliminates compliance to local societal norms as an indicator of one's alignment.

It seems instead that anyone who follows a structured code of conduct, irrespective of whether that specific code is honoured by the local population, or even by that person's immediate associates, would qualify as Lawful.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Banned

The Punisher seems, to me, to fail the "community before individual" -criteria. Neutral Evil.

Lawful alignment doesn't necessarily imply social complience - but it implies views that put community above the individual in some way. The community in question could be fairly small or obscure, and it doesn't have to be the largest around (i.e. you can be Lawful without complying with the standards or laws of the kingdom you live in).

28. - Top - End - #58

In the comics, the Punisher is most definitely LG. He has an extremely set code of morals, foremost of which is his intention to protect the innocent and punish the guilty. The fact that he operates outside the law does not change his lawfulness, and he is definitely good--he only kills criminals.
    <Rexatar
    Spoiler
    Show

Fiscal Mereor, by NecroPaladin.

Spoiler
    Show

Kyrian, describing my very own Fourth Empire...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyrian View Post
    ...god damned moron organizations full of morons...

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tormsskull View Post
    Even better. Boy from Turkey and girl from UK wake up in Vegas married to one another. We'll call it Dude, Where's My Country?

29. - Top - End - #59

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post

Lawful alignment doesn't necessarily imply social complience - but it implies views that put community above the individual in some way. The community in question could be fairly small or obscure, and it doesn't have to be the largest around (i.e. you can be Lawful without complying with the standards or laws of the kingdom you live in).
    QFT.

But I'd say the Punisher is neutral. Or neutral angry if that works.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

He kills people. He kills them. He tried killing spiderman. He is not Good.