Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Banned

Default Re: How would you roleplay a LE?

That's letting alignment define characters again. If you consider alignment waht it should be - a game-mechanics descriptor, chosen on the basis of "Well, I guess this fits the character's personality, motivations, and actions best" - there's no reason Good and Evil characters couldn't be friends.

Paladins are pretty much the only PHB characters who "oppose evil wherever they can." Just having a Good alignment doesn't require or indicate that.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Exactly. You shouldn't pick an Alignment and try to play it. You should create a personality and try to play it. The DM will worry about the Alignment, in mst cases.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

3. - Top - End - #123
    Halfling in the Playground

I for one can't believe nobody mentioned Dr. Doom yet. Dr. Doom would be the epitome of LE.

(now, back to the discussion and away from the whole "is the Punisher right" thing)
    Winnar of the Friend or Foe Design Contest (entry), Best Overall, Best Fitting ToB Setting, Staff Choice and Rookie. w00t!

4. - Top - End - #124
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Exactly. You shouldn't pick an Alignment and try to play it. You should create a personality and try to play it. The DM will worry about the Alignment, in mst cases.
    That's my preferred approach. The DM is the one who really needs to know, anyway.

(In fact, it could be a nice surprise for a player, finding out that holy word hurts his PC... "Crud! I better mend my ways...")

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

Exactly. You shouldn't pick an Alignment and try to play it.
    Truer words have never been said. Too many DMs focus on the exact opposite in my group. What's the fun if a person can't evolve, and change their values? Everyone does!
    Lawful Evil Paladin of the Miko Fanclub

Spoiler
    Show
    Feel Talona's Kiss!

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

It should be noted that all the denizens of the Nine Hells of Baator (Devils) are Lawful Evil. There is a lot of "wiggle room" for lawful evil personalities.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Bugbear in the Playground

I will just very quickly give my opinion on the Punisher as a fan of the character and the excellent stories Garth Ennis has been putting out about him in the 21st Century.

He's lawful neutral. He has to be lawful, because he is WAY too organized, methodical and wholly mechanical in his mindset to be anything BUT. The Punisher has no life outside of his mission. He has no friends. He has no hobbies. Every second of his every day is dedicated to the mission. He never acts out of impulse or "on a whim." Every strike he makes is calculated to the smallest degree, every possibility planned for and every precaution taken. I seriously don't know how much more lawful you can get than this.

Now as far as the good/evil goes... he's not good because he doesn't act out of altruism or concern for others. It's crystalized in a few lines of dialogue from one comic.

Jane the Mouse: "The Criminals.... why do you kill them?"

Frank: "Because I hate them."

Jane: "Oh.... I thought maybe it was because you wanted to make people safer."

That's really it. The Punisher hates criminals. He doesn't bother to rationalize his actions any further. You can say his obsession makes him insane, but if you really step back and look at the Marvel Universe, I'd say he's one of the very few sane people there. Nobody ELSE is gonna take care of these guys.

The Punisher only kills those who deserve it, and I would say yes, he is qualified to make the calls he does (the police and government in his universe are comically inept and corrupt.) In answer to one of Thomas's earlier questions, yes, I know at least one woman he's killed... but only after his earlier attempts left her a limbless torso, so really, at that point, he was doing her a favor. (I swear it's hilairious if you read it....)

Since he is overall a force for good but not motivated by goodness, I dub the Punisher neutral. The easiest, strongest and best comparison I could make in D&D terms is the Inevitables. They answer to no authority but their own, but they are the epitome of Lawful Neutral. Because they're cold, unfeeling machines. And for all intents and purposes, the Punisher is too. Anything else you see is just projecting your thoughts onto what is truly an abyss.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground

...he killed a guy dressed like Santa in front of KIDS! O_O!
    Lawful Evil Paladin of the Miko Fanclub

Spoiler
    Show
    Feel Talona's Kiss!

9. - Top - End - #129

Well, I never said he was a saint or anything...
    <Rexatar
    Spoiler
    Show

Fiscal Mereor, by NecroPaladin.

Spoiler
    Show

Kyrian, describing my very own Fourth Empire...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyrian View Post
    ...god damned moron organizations full of morons...

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tormsskull View Post
    Even better. Boy from Turkey and girl from UK wake up in Vegas married to one another. We'll call it Dude, Where's My Country?

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by soylentplaid View Post
    I for one can't believe nobody mentioned Dr. Doom yet. Dr. Doom would be the epitome of LE.

(now, back to the discussion and away from the whole "is the Punisher right" thing)
    Um, what am I chopped liver?

2> The individual believes in the rule of law -- which likely differs a great deal from the established law. Doom (from comics) is a good example here. He makes great use of diplomatic immunity, will keep his word to a fault, and views his honor & nobility as two of the reasons he's uniquely qualified to rule.
    Last edited by TheEmerged; 2007-02-12 at 11:22 PM.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

11. - Top - End - #131

Holy crap! Talking chopped liver!
    Do not meddle in the affairs of adventurers, for you are expendable and full of EXP.

Overblown fantasy action/adventure/comedy/drama/spoof. Updates M/W/F

12. - Top - End - #132

Holy talking liver Batman!
    <Rexatar
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Even better. Boy from Turkey and girl from UK wake up in Vegas married to one another. We'll call it Dude, Where's My Country?

13. - Top - End - #133

Quickly, J. Robin! We must make our way to the Batcave and devise a method for extracting the quantum continuums from his cerebelum in order to create talking fruit cups! Science!
    Last edited by Viscount Einstrauss; 2007-02-13 at 12:45 AM.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of adventurers, for you are expendable and full of EXP.

Overblown fantasy action/adventure/comedy/drama/spoof. Updates M/W/F

14. - Top - End - #134
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Piedmon_Sama View Post
    The Punisher only kills those who deserve it, and I would say yes, he is qualified to make the calls he does (the police and government in his universe are comically inept and corrupt.) In answer to one of Thomas's earlier questions, yes, I know at least one woman he's killed... but only after his earlier attempts left her a limbless torso, so really, at that point, he was doing her a favor. (I swear it's hilairious if you read it....)
    Hey, as long as nobody's stuffed in a fridge...

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

Some people say Punisher is Lawful Evil. Others says he is Lawful Neutral. Hmm.

Judge Dredd would be the ultimate definitiion of Lawful Neutral. How does the Punisher's ethics stack up against him?

16. - Top - End - #136

If we're going back into this...

The Punisher is pretty much what Judge Dredd would be if he worked outside the law instead of with it. In fact, the Punisher would fit in quite well with the Judges.
    <Rexatar
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Hmm Klaus from the webcomic 'Girl Genius' by Katia and Foglio always struck me as a good example of LE.