Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 64
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    TRAINTIEDUPHELP

    Default [3.5 Gestalt] Red Hand of Doom - IC

    Two Weeks Ago

    Deep underground underneath Khundrukar, in the heart of its hidden lake, a black dragon, once mighty, now bleeds on the rocky shore. Its hoard, now yours for the taking, was piled with gold and jewels and other valuables. But wrapped in a casing of its own shed skin and scale was a map. At great length all over are markings and writings, talking about roads and paths and marks to find Vraath Keep and, more importantly, its hidden vault, left untouched for generations. Wiping the stagnant water, dragon acid and various blood off of yourselves, you collected your reward for clearing out the abandoned stronghold, and made your way to the Elsir Vale.

    Day One

    The afternoon sun beats down on you; the air is hot and still. The sparsely settled lands of Elsir Vale are starting to grow monotonous, with a seemingly endless line of dusty flyspecks of towns. The town of Drellin's Ferry lies a few miles ahead of you. It's a settlement hard on the borders of the Witchwood, and the best place from which to begin exploring the nearby forest, where Vraath Keep awaits.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Game start.
    I currently do not check the playground forums. If you would like to reach me, you can find me on twitter as HTTPaladin.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Karsh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5 Gestalt] Red Hand of Doom - IC

    Gavin shifted in his saddle, stretching his lower back by twisting his torso from side to side. It certainly wasn't that he was uncomfortable from being in the saddle for so long, but they'd been on the road for several days now, and anyone would grow a bit sore from such prolonged riding. He tore a chunk of dried meat in two, passing his reptilian mount the larger half as she plodded along the path beside his companions. "Now don' go tryin' that one on me, Aer. Tha' is the larger half and you know it." He patted Aerlevsedi's neck good-naturedly, and let out a sigh, checking the sun's position in the sky while absent-mindedly chewing on his half of the jerky. "Whoof, I figgered today'd be a hot one, but this is almost silly. I'd almost forgotten how bad Elsir Vale gets this time of year."

    "Still, it's better t'be up here in the open air than back down in that hole. We shouldn't be more'n an hour or two from Drellin's Ferry, I'd suppose. Then we can all have a nice, cold drink, eh?"

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Blue_C.'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5 Gestalt] Red Hand of Doom - IC

    Hnikarr is uncharacteristically quiet, as he's been for the last several weeks. As they ride, he continually keeps his holy symbol in hand, letting it run through his fingers as the light reflects off the platinum representation of his deity. His actions freeing Idalla have weighed heavily on his mind, even if he realizes their choice was the correct one.

    He does brighten momentarily at the mention of cold ale, and the prospect of new people to encounter. "Well said, Gavin. First round will be on me. Perhaps we can stop in town until morning, and try to find someone that knows the area and can sell a locally made map in the meantime?"
    The cool avatar is by kPenguin

    Hnikarr IC OOC
    Embresia IC OOC

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Techwarrior's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: [3.5 Gestalt] Red Hand of Doom - IC

    Fiona Redwing, Child of Fey

    Fiona walks alongside her lizard companion, still attempting to figure out a good name for it. The entire ride here she's been randomly asking the other party members if they like a particular name.

    "I must admit, one of the few things I truly enjoy about your civilization is the taste of a cold one. We must be careful though, anything Nightscale had his eye on is likely to be something dark and insidious."
    Avatar courtesy of Ceika.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Mjollnir075's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    St. Paul, Minnesota.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5 Gestalt] Red Hand of Doom - IC

    Kormag keeps a slow and steady pace, careful not to outdistance his shorter-legged comrades.The braided stones hanging from his wild mane tinkle softly against his breastplate with every step. Peeling off his heavy dragon skull-shaped helm, he splashes a bit of water over his face and hair to cool off. Without the large helm, the runes glowing about his head have a chance to flare up, a clear sign of his heritage. He flashes a wide smile at the mention of ale, causing his heavily scarred face to change into something truly only a mother could love.

    "Yah, ain't nothin' like a chilled cup a ale with a drop o' honey in it after a heater like this'n. Ah sure would'na mind sleepin' in a bed fer a night either. Jus' 'cause ye may have grown doin' it, don' make it any more comfy sleepin' on tha ground.
    Last edited by Mjollnir075; 2014-04-17 at 11:26 PM.
    Sorry, I simply HAD to steal these..

    Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    The accumulated errata and FAQs will foam up about their waists and all the players and Dungeon Masters will look up and shout "Balance!"...and Sean K. Reynolds will look down, and whisper "No."


    Handbook to my favorite class, by Saintheart
    Runecaster Handbook

    Special thanks to Tarvus for the sweet, updated
    Boba Fett avatar!

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    HalflingWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In my bed
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [3.5 Gestalt] Red Hand of Doom - IC

    Allowing a slight smile to break his composure as he listens to his companions sing praise of ale, Varash drops the concentration he had assumed for the last few hours; a composure so typical of the elf when traveling. "I'll abstain as usual," he adds. There is an appropriate time for altering one's perception, if one would seek vigilance. When such an alteration offers little in otherwise unobtainable insight to outweigh significant impairment, those appropriate times are rare indeed.

    In an appropriate follow-up to that thought, Varash returns to his concentration on outward perception. His sense of scent once again elevates to that of keen-nosed animals, washing his mind in the familiar auras of his companions and the sun-drenched valley.
    Last edited by RecoveringGamer; 2014-04-18 at 09:26 PM.
    Recovering Powergamer

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Karsh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5 Gestalt] Red Hand of Doom - IC

    Gavin blew a raspberry at Varash's stoicism. "Ahhh, c'mon, Varash. You never let yourself relax."

    "Tha's a good point, Fiona. I don't think we'll run into anything bad here on the road, but this Keep might be trouble, so let's try to enjoy the break while we can."

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Techwarrior's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: [3.5 Gestalt] Red Hand of Doom - IC

    Fiona Redwing, Childe of Fey

    Fiona smiles at Varash, content to allow him his silence and avoidance of the liquor. Her mother always said it gave her the worst head of her long life.

    "Well, I'm going to see what I can do about a bit of research after my drink. As usual, I only want one and have yet to find the information I seek. Is anyone familiar with this City? Is it very big? Does it have any libraries or keepers of knowledge?"

    Erica is curious about repositories of knowledge in Drellin's Ferry.

    Bardic Knowledge (1d20+6)[7]
    Avatar courtesy of Ceika.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    HalflingWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In my bed
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [3.5 Gestalt] Red Hand of Doom - IC

    The only response that comes from Varash towards Gavin's teasing is a thin smile, an automatic reaction of one who has their mind on other matters. The chance of a dangerous encounter before the next town would indeed be small, but anything is possible. In open territory however, detecting a foe before they detect you might even be more critical than usual, if one takes appropriate measures to exploit such an advantage.
    Recovering Powergamer

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    TRAINTIEDUPHELP

    Default Re: [3.5 Gestalt] Red Hand of Doom - IC

    The road crests a small rise and descends into a dusty grove in a large, shallow dell. An abandoned farmhouse, partially visible through the trees, stands on one side of the road. You've passed a dozen spots much like this one already today, just like the day before, with no event transpiring.

    Varash
    Spoiler
    Show
    They almost slipped your eye, the six in the trees, the dog far behind, the three up in the farmhouse. Something is making their armor, their skin, their eyes, every glint, somehow magnified, catching your attention. Two red dogs, smoke rising from their mouths, and eight hobgoblins, watch your group pass from opposite sides of the grove.


    Gavin
    Spoiler
    Show
    You would know their tracks, you know their signs. You can see their movements in the trees to the left and right of you, and you can see a few more on the farmhouse you just passed. You can make them out all right. Six of the closest ones hold bows, arrows at the ready, and on the house you can see two more. One with a shield, and another with two swords. They don't seem to have noticed you noticing them yet.


    Map
    Spoiler
    Show
    I currently do not check the playground forums. If you would like to reach me, you can find me on twitter as HTTPaladin.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    HalflingWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In my bed
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [3.5 Gestalt] Red Hand of Doom - IC

    "Surrounded," Varash mutters in Sylvan, otherwise keeping stride. Far less likely the hobgoblins know Sylvan than Draconic. In the same breath, the elf changes the subtleties of his posture, releasing the intensity of his sense of smell. He prepares to launch himself into melee with great force, leading the way for any allies to follow.
    Recovering Powergamer

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Techwarrior's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: [3.5 Gestalt] Red Hand of Doom - IC

    Fiona Redwing, Childe of Fey

    Fiona nods to the elven warrior, suddenly much more serious. However, she feigns innocence and begins to sing in Common, a jaunty tune she learned from her former almost-lover. Then she mounts up onto her lizard and asks the party in general about a few more names. While she does so, her tail twitches slightly as she feels the essentia already coursing through it.

    "Arlos? How about Venn?"

    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Essentia:
    Manticore Belt: 3/3
    +8 Spot and Jump. (Totem) Standard Action to snap 3 spines.
    Kruthic Claws: 0/1
    +4 Hide and Move Silently
    Dragon Mantle: 1/1
    Resist Acid, Fire, Cold, Electric, and Sonic 3. +2 Enhancement to Fortitude saves.
    Basilisk Mask: 0/1
    Low-Light Vision

    Current Stance:
    Leading the Charge (Initiator Level 3

    Maneuvers Ready:
    Moment of Perfect Mind (Altered by Undersong)
    Wall of Blades
    Douse the Flames
    Avatar courtesy of Ceika.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Karsh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5 Gestalt] Red Hand of Doom - IC

    "Tch. Spoke too soon, didn't I? " Gavin replied in Sylvan. He gave Aerlevsedi a squeeze with his knees and felt the dinosaur's muscles tense in readiness for action at the unspoken signal.

    Gavin gave a whistle mimicking the warning call of a bluejay, a sound the party had heard many times before to surreptitiously signal imminent danger.

    Looking at the others, Gavin coughed, cracked his neck, and muttered a few syllables, feeling that some flexibility might be warranted.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Gavin casts Improvisation. I'll go ahead and roll for maneuvers:

    (1d5)[5] Sure Shot
    (1d4)[2] Flaming Arrow
    (1d3)[2] Mountain Hammer

    I'm going camping this weekend and will hopefully have reception, but if not, please feel free to NPC Gavin.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Blue_C.'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5 Gestalt] Red Hand of Doom - IC

    As the only member of the group that speaks only Common, Hnikarr is used to being lost when they switch languages on him. That said, they don't usually do it without reason. He makes no overt action, like trying to look around, but he does put his holy symbol away, just in case, and waits to see if something happens.
    The cool avatar is by kPenguin

    Hnikarr IC OOC
    Embresia IC OOC

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Mjollnir075's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    St. Paul, Minnesota.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5 Gestalt] Red Hand of Doom - IC

    Hearing the Bluejay call sends a shiver up Kormag's spine. It was not one of worry, he had fought besides his friends long enough to trust them implicitly, but of excitement. Too long on the road had left him a little bored. He turns to his camrades, his smile turning just a little wild and his red eye almost gleaming.

    "Aye, never a lack o' fun with you lot about is it?

    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kormag silently readies himself to cast Enlarge Person on himself
    Sorry, I simply HAD to steal these..

    Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    The accumulated errata and FAQs will foam up about their waists and all the players and Dungeon Masters will look up and shout "Balance!"...and Sean K. Reynolds will look down, and whisper "No."


    Handbook to my favorite class, by Saintheart
    Runecaster Handbook

    Special thanks to Tarvus for the sweet, updated
    Boba Fett avatar!

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    HalflingWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In my bed
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [3.5 Gestalt] Red Hand of Doom - IC

    ...now! Varash snaps into action as soon as the curtain falls, the hobgoblins now aware of the situation.

    "Watch out, Fiona!"
    he shouts, before launching himself into the fray. Eased walking seamlessly flows into a spint as Varash lowers his guisarme and charges at the westernmost hobgoblin.

    Spoiler
    Show
    White Raven Tactics popped on Fiona, then charging the hobgoblin furthest to the west (top). -2 to AC for charge, +1 competence to AC for skirmish.

    Attack: (1d20+11)[24]
    Base Damage: (2d4+13)[19]
    Precision Damage: (1d6)[5]

    I don't know what aura Hnikarr has up, so that wasn't factored in. (The only outside factor taken into account was Fiona's Leading the Charge stance stacking.)
    Last edited by RecoveringGamer; 2014-04-29 at 11:34 PM.
    Recovering Powergamer

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Techwarrior's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: [3.5 Gestalt] Red Hand of Doom - IC

    Fiona Redwing, Childe of Fey

    Here we go again. Mother always said adventuring was 95% waiting, and 5% action so fierce it makes you want to throw up.

    Fiona does not throw up. Instead, she guides her lizard companion to the nearest foe, and although she doesn't change songs, she sends power thrumming through the hearts of her allies, kindling a faerie fire that they are quite familiar with.

    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Currently, I'm assuming that the typo on the Wild Cohort feat text (changing Handle Animal from Standard to Move) is supposed to allow me to Handle as a free action. Otherwise, her Move action will have to be striked.

    Fiona:
    Free: Direct her lizard to attack the hobgoblin in the middle of the west side.
    Swift: Cast Inspirational Boost
    Standard: Use Supernatural Ability: Inspire Courage
    Fiona grants a +3 Morale bonus to: To Hit and Weapon Damage rolls, and saves versus Charm and Fear effects.
    Move: Draw Cold Iron Longspear

    Lizard:
    Free: 5 foot step to the left and down, putting him within 10 feet of the hobgoblin.
    Full Round: Full Attack, using bite as primary and using his grappling tongue as a secondary.
    Bite (1d20+10)[17]
    Crit (1d20+10)[19]
    Damage (2d6+9)[12]

    Ranged Touch (1d20+4)[8]
    Crit (1d20+4)[21]
    Improved Grab
    Lizard's Grapple (1d20+15)[25] (4 Strength, 4 BAB, 4 size, 3 Morale)
    Damage (1d4+3)[6] Subdual
    Avatar courtesy of Ceika.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    TRAINTIEDUPHELP

    Default Re: [3.5 Gestalt] Red Hand of Doom - IC

    Varash's target goes down, a slash going down the torso and leg causing the Hobgoblinto lose footing and consciousness. At this first blow, the two Hobgoblins closest to Varash pull back arrows, pointing them at the Fire Elf, but redirect themselves as the one on the far side of the battle calls out, somewhere between a bark and a command. He points a short sword, one of two, at Varash, shouting out: "Kamate!" All of the Hobgoblins, save for the one bleeding on the forest floor, respond in kind: "Kamate!" The short sword wielding Hobgoblin's eyes never drop from Varash.

    The two Hell Hounds approach from the East, their frames outlined by a grey silhouette, which is interrupted by the flames pouring forth from its skin, wrapping its body, and sharpening its fangs. One gets close enough to Kormag, snapping at the cleric with powerful jaws.

    The Lizard's attack a success, the struck Hobgoblin takes a step backwards, and as the shielded one comes forward, swinging a mace at the creature. The three Hobgoblins on the South portion of the forest cast a spell on themselves.

    Combat
    Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative Order: Hnikarr, Kormag, Gavin, Varash, Fiona/Lizard, Enemies

    Hobgoblin M-15 attacking Kormag w/ Bow:
    Attack: (1d20+4)[9]
    Crit Confirm:(1d20+4)[11]
    Damage:(1d8+1)[9]

    Hobgoblin O-13 attacking Lizard w/ Bow:
    Attack: (1d20+4)[18]
    Crit Confirm:(1d20+4)[21]
    Damage:(1d8+1)[2]

    Hell Hound M-10 attacking Kormag w/ Bite:
    Attack: (1d20+4)[20]
    Crit Confirm: (1d20+4)[16]
    Damage: (1d8+1)[5]
    Fire 1: (1d6)[3]
    Fire 2: (2d4)[5]

    Cleric G-10 attacking Lizard w/ Mace:
    Attack: (1d20+4)[22]
    Crit Confirm: (1d20+4)[22]
    Damage: (1d8+1)[5]

    Lizard must make three Will Saves; has a -2 Penalty to all Saves.


    Martial Lore DC: 11
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can tell that the Hobgoblin wielding Short Swords is currently in Punishing Stance.

    Martial Lore DC: 24
    Spoiler
    Show
    This Hobgoblin knows: Steel Wind, Sudden Leap, Wolf Fang Strike, Steely Strike, Wall of Blades, Disarming Strike, Hunter's Sense, Punishing Stance


    Goblin
    Spoiler
    Show
    "It is death!"
    "It is death!"

    If you can speak Goblin, please make a Knowledge (Local) check.

    Map
    Spoiler
    Show


    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Please tell me if I've missed anything important.
    I currently do not check the playground forums. If you would like to reach me, you can find me on twitter as HTTPaladin.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Karsh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5 Gestalt] Red Hand of Doom - IC

    As the ambush commences, Gavin lets out an enraged whoop. "Let's teach these hobbos a very painful lesson, Aer!" The dinosaur kicked off the ground with its powerful legs, streaking towards the dual-wielding hobgoblin. "You're right, boyo, here death comes! "

    Gavin expertly unslung his bow from his shoulder and drew a forked arrow from his quiver, taking aim at the hobgoblin in the treeline. With extreme precision, he loosed the arrow just before Aerlevsedi left the ground in a mighty leap, crashing down on the dual wielding hobgoblin.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Gavin
    Free Action: Guide Aerlevsedi with knees (auto pass the check)
    Move Action: Draw longbow
    Standard Action: Initiate Sure Shot, attacking hobgoblin in D11

    To Hit - (1d20+35)[41]
    Crit confirm - (1d20+35)[36]
    Weapon Damage - (1d6+11)[13]+1 Acid
    Maneuver Damage - (4d6)[17]

    10/10 improvisation points remain, 3/5 rounds remaining

    Rolling for new maneuver - (1d2)[1]

    Available maneuvers:
    Mountain Hammer
    Flame Arrow
    Lightning Arrow

    Aerlevsedi
    Full round action: Leaping Pounce hobgoblin with short swords.
    Free Action: Use 4 improvisation points to give +2 to both claw attacks

    Claw 1 - (1d20+13)[29]
    Crit confirm - (1d20+13)[27]
    Damage - (1d6+6)[11]+8 from Leading the Charges
    DC 14 Fortitude save vs poison

    Claw 2 - (1d20+13)[27]
    Crit confirm - (1d20+13)[23]
    Damage - (1d6+6)[10]+8 from Leading the Charges
    DC 14 Fortitude save vs poison

    Bite - (1d20+6)[23]
    Crit confirm - (1d20+6)[18]
    Damage - (1d6+4)[6]+8 from Leading the Charges
    DC 14 Fortitude save vs poison

    Tail - (1d20+6)[21]
    Crit confirm - (1d20+6)[25]
    Damage - (1d6+4)[5]+8 from Leading the Charges
    Only if the bite misses

    Rake - (1d20+6)[9]
    Crit confirm - (1d20+6)[22]
    Damage - (1d6+5)[11]+8 from Leading the Charges

    Trip - (1d20+3)[11]
    Grapple - (1d20+6)[15]

    6/10 improvisation points remaining

    Whew!

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Blue_C.'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5 Gestalt] Red Hand of Doom - IC

    "Not even to town, and our welcome has already arrived."

    Unsure of how this new horse would take combat, Hnikarr decides on being conservative. He dismounts and draws his weapon, taking the time to gauge these opponents.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move action to dismount, move action to draw a weapon. Draconic Senses will remain active.
    The cool avatar is by kPenguin

    Hnikarr IC OOC
    Embresia IC OOC

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Mjollnir075's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    St. Paul, Minnesota.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5 Gestalt] Red Hand of Doom - IC

    "Agh, ye damned mutt. I'll show ye who has the bigger fangs around here!"

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Kormag will 5-foot step back to J-11 and cast Enlarge Person, then quick draw Avalanche.
    Sorry, I simply HAD to steal these..

    Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    The accumulated errata and FAQs will foam up about their waists and all the players and Dungeon Masters will look up and shout "Balance!"...and Sean K. Reynolds will look down, and whisper "No."


    Handbook to my favorite class, by Saintheart
    Runecaster Handbook

    Special thanks to Tarvus for the sweet, updated
    Boba Fett avatar!

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Techwarrior's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: [3.5 Gestalt] Red Hand of Doom - IC

    Spoiler: Attack of Opportunity
    Show
    That spell the Hobgoblins cast? The one in I9 is within reach of my lizard, who has Combat Reflexes and Mage Slayer. The hobbo would know that it can't cast defensively, so it might have taken a 5 ft. step and avoided the Attack, especially the one in D11 did. Otherwise, the AoO:
    Bite (1d20+10)[25]
    Crit (1d20+10)[27]
    Damage (2d6+9)[13]


    Snarling and snapping, Fiona's lizard companion attempts to fend off the mixed assailants. Fiona directs her lizard to back into the road as she sings, and snaps off a coordinated group of spines from her tail while the angry, wounded lizard snaps as the shielded warrior advances.

    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Lizard:
    Full Attack:
    Bite the shielded, wounded warrior threatening the lizard and Fiona.
    Bite (1d20+10)[12]
    Crit (1d20+10)[27]
    Damage (2d6+9)[15]
    If it drops, 5 ft. step West. If it does not drop, 5 ft. Step North.

    Tongue (Secondary) If the warrior dropped, attack D11. Otherwise, attack the same.
    Ranged Touch (1d20+4)[15]
    Improved Grab
    Lizard's Grapple (1d20+15)[30]
    Damage (1d4+3)[4] Nonlethal

    Fiona:
    Ride: Guide with Knees DC 5 (1d20+3)[6]
    Standard: Use Manticore Belt Totem Bind effect. Snapping a trio of spines at the hobbo in I9.
    Spine (1d20+11)[22]
    Crit (1d20+11)[25]
    Damage (1d6+5)[8]

    Spine (1d20+11)[22]
    Crit (1d20+11)[15]
    Damage (1d6+5)[8]

    Spine (1d20+11)[31]
    Crit (1d20+11)[23]
    Damage (1d6+5)[6]

    Her Move action is unused, but if she fails the Ride check, she can't use both hands on her spear, and riding takes her move action.
    Last edited by Techwarrior; 2014-05-04 at 03:06 PM.
    Avatar courtesy of Ceika.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    HalflingWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In my bed
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [3.5 Gestalt] Red Hand of Doom - IC

    As Varash's guisarme slices through the first hobgoblin cleanly, he spins with the momentum, plants his left foot, and springs towards the canine beasts threatening his allies. The elf brings his polearm close to the ground in front of him, and slides at the end of the charge, cutting upwards at the hound.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Charging the enemy in M10, dropping -3 to the attack roll for Power Attack. I'm assuming the direct charge path is K14, K13, L12, L11. Same AC modifiers as last round.

    Modifiers: Charge, Leading the Charge x2, Bardic Music, Skirmish, Power Attack.
    Attack: (1d20+11)[28]
    Damage: (2d4+20)[25]
    Precision Damage: (1d6)[3]
    Last edited by RecoveringGamer; 2014-05-05 at 01:59 AM.
    Recovering Powergamer

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    TRAINTIEDUPHELP

    Default Re: [3.5 Gestalt] Red Hand of Doom - IC

    As Gavin pulls back his arrow, Aerlevsedi jumps. His muscles remembering the motion all too well adjust for the movement, and mid-air, Gavin's arrow flies true: it pierces the Hobgoblin's torso, acid burning away at layers of armor in a small sliver, and piercing through the back. The Hobgoblin wheezes, taking a look at the battle, and runs away from the sight before him. The short sworded Hobgoblin's reflexes are fast, managing to block one blow, before the rest of them come, tearing and breaking away his armor, and falling to the ground in a mesh of blood.

    Kormag moves, repositioning himself for the battle, and grows: His bones swelling and his blood coursing faster, the entire world shrinks ever so subtlely as he doubles in size.

    The Lizard snaps at the Shieldbearing Hobgoblin, his maw finding no purchase in flesh. But as an alternative, darts out its tongue, which wraps around his shieldbearing arm, and wrenches him forward. Fiona's spines shoot forward in the air, each one finding purchase in the Hobgoblin's body. He coughs, blood splatters hitting the ground below, and moves down East, fleeing into the forest.

    Varash, like before, finds purchase. His guisarme hitting into the Hell Hound's side, and cutting away as it pulls back out.

    The Hell Hounds respond in turn, taking a step back away from Varash, but both releasing cones of fire.

    Three of their numbers flee into the forest, taking advantage of the majority of the party focusing on their allies East of them.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Kormag and Varash: Please make two reflex saves. DC 13.

    One: (3d6)[15]
    Two: (3d6)[10]

    Map to come later. Only ones left are the ones you've killed, the two Hell Hounds and the Grappled Shieldbearer. Everyone else made a full retreat. You're free to attempt to track them down.


    Map
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Cardea; 2014-05-11 at 12:12 PM.
    I currently do not check the playground forums. If you would like to reach me, you can find me on twitter as HTTPaladin.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Mjollnir075's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    St. Paul, Minnesota.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5 Gestalt] Red Hand of Doom - IC

    Spoiler: crap crap crap
    Show
    (1d20+1)[13]. Ah. There we go. Can't get the second one to roll now.. [roll]1d20+1[/roll]
    Last edited by Mjollnir075; 2014-05-11 at 11:13 AM.
    Sorry, I simply HAD to steal these..

    Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    The accumulated errata and FAQs will foam up about their waists and all the players and Dungeon Masters will look up and shout "Balance!"...and Sean K. Reynolds will look down, and whisper "No."


    Handbook to my favorite class, by Saintheart
    Runecaster Handbook

    Special thanks to Tarvus for the sweet, updated
    Boba Fett avatar!

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Blue_C.'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5 Gestalt] Red Hand of Doom - IC

    As most of their enemies disperse, Hnikarr's focus narrows to the hellhounds. "Glad to see you saved me a diversion." He moves towards the nearest, and makes an attempt to strike.

    Spoiler: Move
    Show
    I am not totally certain where the hellhounds are in relation to Hnikarr, but if one is in range, he makes a charging smite attack against the nearest Hellhound.

    Charge attack: full round action. (1d20+16)[26] , (1d10+20)[23]

    Or, if none are in range, double move towards the nearest hellhound.
    The cool avatar is by kPenguin

    Hnikarr IC OOC
    Embresia IC OOC

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Karsh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5 Gestalt] Red Hand of Doom - IC

    A smirk crossed Gavin's face as his arrow struck true, but quickly turned to a grimace as the hobgoblins on the sides of the road fled into the woods. Several wet tearing noises and a choked gurgle informed Gavin that Aerlevsedi had easily overwhelmed the apparent leader of the ambush team. Gavin hollered after the fleeing ambushers, "Y'can run for now, cowards, but I'll be comin' for you!"

    Assessing the situation, Fiona and the as-yet unnamed lizard seemed to have the shieldbearer under control. As if in confirmation that he was needed elsewhere, the two hellhounds unleashed gouts of flame at Kormag and Varash. "Backup's on its way, boys!"

    As the path seemed quite crowded, Aerlevsedi made a rapid about face and pushed off the ground with her powerful hind legs, crashing into the treeline and making her way towards the hell hound in the brush. Aerlevsedi clawed at the hobgoblin shieldbearer as she made her way through the trees, while Gavin took a bead on the hell hound. Lightning crackled along his bow as he focused his aim, and he loosed a single, powerful shot at the hell hound.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Gavin
    Swift: Initiate Lightning Arrow
    Standard: Initiate Mountain Hammer, targeting the hell hound in J8
    Free: Give +2 to attack and damage on Mountain Hammer

    Attack - (1d20+12)[26] (Includes +2 from Improvisation, +3 from Inspire Courage, -4 from shooting into melee)
    Critical Confirmation - (1d20+12)[27]
    Weapon Damage - (3d6+7)[16]+1 Acid (Includes +2 from Improvisation, +3 from Inspire Courage, Mountain Hammer)
    Electricity Damage - (1d6+5)[6]
    Treated as flanked for next ally to attack

    6/10 Improvisation Points remaining, 2/5 rounds left

    Granted Maneuvers:
    Flaming Arrow
    Phantom Arrow

    Aerlevsedi
    Move: Move to H9 (Path is F13 -> F10 -> G9 -> H9, I'm assuming that the trees count as difficult terrain but F12 isn't. Otherwise, Aerlevsedi will stop in G9)
    Standard: Attack Hobgoblin Shieldbearer with claw
    Free: +2 to hit and damage with claw from Improvisation

    Claw Attack - (1d20+11)[31] (Should be vs. Flat-Footed AC, includes +3 from Inspire Courage, +2 from Improvisation)
    Critical Confirmation - (1d20+11)[28]
    Damage - (1d6+8)[14] (Includes +3 from Inspire Courage, +2 from Improvisation)
    DC 14 Fortitude Save vs Poison or Dexterity Damage - (1d6)[3]

    2/10 Improvisation Points remaining, 2/5 rounds remaining

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    HalflingWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In my bed
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [3.5 Gestalt] Red Hand of Doom - IC

    Fiery gouts of breath respond to Varash's charge, but thanks to his sure footing he is able to dive to his left, avoiding the brunt of the attack. Even then, his race was born in ashes and fire, so the trailing flames are little more than a dull heat to the fire elf. Recovering from his evasive manoeuvre, Varash sees an opportunity and takes it, circling around his mark and delivering a mighty overhead swing from his polearm.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Reflex saves passed, 2 fire damage taken in total. Moving M11, N11, O10, O9, O8, N7, M7 (40ft). Initiating Mountain Hammer on the Hellhound on M9.
    Attack(1d20+12)[32]
    Damage[roll]2d4+2d6+8[/roll]
    Precision Damage(1d6)[6]
    All damage ignores damage reduction. Varash's AC is +1 from skirmish.
    Recovering Powergamer

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Techwarrior's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: [3.5 Gestalt] Red Hand of Doom - IC

    Fiona Redwing, Childe of Fey

    Fiona watches the hobgoblins retreating disorderly. She didn't like killing them, but she liked letting them get away even less.

    I hope this didn't come back to bite us in the tail.

    She looks back into the trees, hoping to catch a glimpse of the hobgoblins. If the group decided it was necessary, Gavin could track them, she was sure of that. The hell hound was the immediate threat, if it got in more fiery breath, they would need even more healing than they already would.

    Fiona's song comes to it's crescendo as she fires off another trio of spines from her twitching tail of soulstuff, knowing the grappled shieldbearer is too preoccupied to worry about her.

    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Lizard:
    Strength check versus shieldbearer.
    (1d20+8)[17] +4 for large size included.

    If the lizard wins by at least 5, he gets a free bite attack versus Flat-Footed AC, otherwise if he wins he pulls the shieldbearer that many feet closer.

    Bite (1d20+10)[21]
    Damage (2d6+9)[16]
    Crit Confirm (1d20+10)[25]
    Crit Damage (2d6+9)[17]

    What's the action type on the Strength check?

    Fiona:
    Standard Manticore Belt, 3 Spines
    Spine 1 (1d20+11)[13]
    Damage (1d6+5)[7]
    Crit Confirm (1d20+11)[13]
    Crit Damage (1d6+5)[8]

    Spine 2 (1d20+11)[16]
    Damage (1d6+5)[10]
    Crit Confirm (1d20+11)[19]
    Crit Damage (1d6+5)[9]

    Spine 3 (1d20+11)[17]
    Damage (1d6+5)[6]
    Crit Confirm (1d20+11)[25]
    Crit Damage (1d6+5)[10]

    Move Active Spot for the hobgoblins
    Spot (1d20+15)[32]
    Avatar courtesy of Ceika.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Karsh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5 Gestalt] Red Hand of Doom - IC

    Kormag

    Kormag shields his face from the fiery breath of the hell hounds and takes advantage of his superior reach to swipe at the hell hound through the trees with Avalanche.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Second Reflex Save - (1d20+1)[15]

    Standard Action: Attack Hell Hound in J8 with Avalanche if it's alive after Gavin shot it, otherwise the other one.

    Attack - (1d20+8)[21]
    Critical Confirm - (1d20+8)[16]
    Damage - (2d8+8)[21]
    Cold Damage - (1d6)[2]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •