New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Junkyard Wars in the Playground II

Welcome to Junkyard Stadium! It is in this hallowed pile of miscellaneous parts that we will hold a competition of Practical Optimization with three components: The catch? Competitors may not use the third item in their builds!

Contestants: You will need to present a write-up of your build at at least one of the following points: 5th level, 10th level, 15th, 20th, and a "sweet spot" that you feel is the high point of the build, as well as presenting a fully-fleshed out 20-level build in the table below. Feel free to present as many of these as you like, and please give a rundown of the build's abilities and playability at all of the levels you didn't show. The rules are as follows:

Goal: For most challenges, the "special components" will be drawn from Core plus Completes. There will, from time to time, be special challenges that showcase secret ingredients from other books--for example, the XPH.

32 point-buy is the presumed creation method, but we have generally allowed other levels of point-buy.
    If you do use a different point-buy, please make your case for its necessity in your entry. Keep in mind that for using exceptionally large or small point-buys may warrant deductions in Build Stability and/or Power.

Workshop:
    Competitors will be free to use any official 3.5 rulebook in constructing their builds. Dragon magazine is disallowed, and Unearthed Arcana is allowed; but see Build Stability below. Web-exclusive 3.0 or 3.5 materials by WotC are expressly allowed, but take care to verify that an updated version did not appear in print elsewhere, as this may cause an Build Stability deduction at the judges' discretion. If you use web material, link it. Dragon Magazine Compendium is allowed. Alternate rule systems from UA such as gestalt are not allowed, as they create a different playing field. Also, item familiars are forbidden because I hate 'em. Please refrain from using Taint unless it's necessary for one or more of the Components.

Completion Time: Contestants will have until 11:59 PM GMT Thursday, May 1st, 2014 to create their builds and PM them to the Chairman, Kazudo. Builds will then be posted simultaneously, to avoid copying. Judges will have until 11:59 PM GMT Thursday, May 15th, 2014 to judge the builds and submit their scores. If no judges have scored by that point, only the scores of the first judge to submit will be counted.

Judging: Judging will be based on the following criteria, with each build rated from 1 (very poor) to 5 (exemplary) in each area: Originality, Power, Build Stability and Use of Secret Ingredient.

Power level is up to you. Cheese is acceptable, but should be kept to a sane level. Using words similar to another competition's predecessor, "A little cheese is ok, but avoid the mature gruyere unless making a cheese fondue." Or something similar, but with junkyard builds.

Build Stability is a change from the Iron Chef vein of competitions: Since the builds in this competition will inevitably be build differently than a meal, I've altered this judging term. It's a combination of terms to ensure that the build uses every component and that they synergize well together. The more class dips that a build has, the less stable it will be. The simpler the mechanics, the less chance of something going wrong.

Presentation: Builds will be posted anonymously, in order to avoid the potential of bias towards a particular competitor. For this reason, please don't put your name in the build, as I'm likely to miss it when reviewing the entries!

Due to concerns about standardizing entry format, I'd like everyone to try to use the following table for their entry.
    Spoiler
    Show
    NAME OF ENTRY
    Level Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features
    1st New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    2nd New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    3rd New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    4th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    5th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    6th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    7th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    8th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    9th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    10th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    11th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    12th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    13th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    14th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    15th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    16th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    17th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    18th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    19th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    20th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities

Table Code:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Code:
    NAME OF ENTRY

Level Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features
    1st New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    2nd New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    3rd New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    4th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    5th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    6th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    7th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    8th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    9th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    10th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    11th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    12th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    13th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    14th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    15th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    16th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    17th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    18th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    19th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    20th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities

For entries with spellcasting or other systems (Psionics, ToB, Incarnum, etc.) keep track of spells per day/spells known/PP/maneuvers/essentia separately, preferably in a nice neat list.
    Speculation: Please don't post or speculate on possible builds until the "reveal," in order to avoid spoiling the surprise if a particular competitor is producing a build along those lines.

Leadership is banned; we're creating one things, not a zillion things. If your entry includes a prestige class or ACF that grants Leadership or a Leadership-like ability as a bonus feat, the feat should be ignored and is not eligible to be traded away for another feat or ACF through any means.

So! Who wants to sign up as a contestant, and who wants to sign up as a judge? Looking for as many contestants and judges as feel like playing!

This competition has two Necessary Ingredients, and one Forbidden ingredient. The ingredients are:

1. Originally introduced in the Player's Handbook: Conjuration(Healing) Spells!
    2. Originally introduced in the Tome of Battle: BoNS: The Ruby Knight Vindicator Prestige Class!
    And the forbidden ingredient:
    3. Originally introduced in the Player's Handbook: The Cleric Base Class!

We will award 1st through 3rd places, as well as a shout-out for honorable mention. The honorable mention prize is given to the most daring or unexpected build. Contestants are invited to vote for honorable mention via PM. Everyone else can vote in-thread.

Ready? Steady? Get to the junkyard and start building!

Previous Competitions:
    Sneak Attack and Shadowdancer, but no Rogue!
    Last edited by Kazudo; 2014-04-17 at 10:47 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Junkyard Wars in the Playground II

Concerning Judging: Any and all judging must take into account the following:

There are four judging categories:

1. Originality, a judging of how "original" a build is. Scaled from 1-5 points.
    2. Power, a judging of how "powerful" a build is. Scaled from 1-5 points.
    3. Build Stability, a judging of the balance between the elements of the build. Scaled from 1-5 points.
    4. Use of Secret Ingredient, a judging of the balance between the secret ingredients. Scaled from 1-5 points.

For the first attempt, we tried three categories which led to some concerns. As a result of which, I'll be returning to a much more classic "Iron Chef" judging, substituting the notion of "Elegance" with "Build Stability".

That being said, let's get going!

3. - Top - End - #3

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    brb getting a time machine to submit my entry.

But seriously I love everything about these ingredients, though this is obviously a much higher power level than the previous challenge. I'll try to get something in as long as we have at least a couple weeks for submission.
    I have no idea what you're talking about!

Concerning power level, yes! It is. Sometimes in Junkyard Wars you'll be expected to make a simple glider. Sometimes, I just want a good old fashioned tank to blow things up with!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Deleted my post because I didn't intend to preempt your followup post. But apparently you snuck in a quote of it anyway!

But yeah I'm going to try to be in for this one too.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

5. - Top - End - #5

HalflingPirate

In like Errol.

Your copy pasta in the 1st post missed the new category for UoSI
    Last edited by dextercorvia; 2014-04-17 at 08:53 PM.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

6. - Top - End - #6

Aw, crap, the Secret Ingredient allows for builds that are actually powerful? I'm so screwed, you guys.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Dang. I might have to come up with something for this along with the current Iron Chef.

How are you ruling with regard to the Divine Impetus dysfunction? Is it a free action for the purposes of this competition?

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

8. - Top - End - #8

WolfInSheepsClothing

The way I'm reading it it could be:

1. No action specified, none needed.
    2. No action specified, uses Turn Undead's action but for different result.

This also lends itself to the additional problem of

1. Usable once per turn
    2. Usable whenever Turn Undead is usable
    3. Usable as many times as possible, limited by the "per day".

Turn Undead is considered an attack, so it would take up the same space of time as an attack action. An attack action takes up (unless I'm reading blind stumbling drunk again) a standard action. So the question if my logic follows is:

1. It specifies no action, therefore no action is needed. Free action.
    2. It uses Turn Undead's action, which is a standard action.

I'd have to say that I"ll go with numbers 1 and 3 respectively. So, unless anyone can provide RAW to the contrary, the ruling on Divine Impetus is:

It uses a free action and is not limited in number of iterations per round.

9. - Top - End - #9

Just out of curiosity, since it is irrelevant to this build.... is it possible to get a divine caster (to advance with RKV) that does not have Conjuration(Healing) spells? It just feels like the second required ingredient is almost... automatic.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

definitely have ideas rolling around in my head for this. going to start working on it right away
    The difference between the possible and the impossible, is the measure of a man's determination.
    -Capt. James Thain

11. - Top - End - #11

WolfInSheepsClothing

Just out of curiosity, since it is irrelevant to this build.... is it possible to get a divine caster (to advance with RKV) that does not have Conjuration(Healing) spells? It just feels like the second required ingredient is almost... automatic.
    It really is, but the punchline is going to be beefing up those Conjuration(Healing) spells to be as relevant and NOT be as heavily overshadowed by RKV's other stuff.

Yaknow. Without speculating TOO much.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kazudo View Post
    The way I'm reading it it could be:

1. No action specified, none needed.
    2. No action specified, uses Turn Undead's action but for different result.

This also lends itself to the additional problem of

1. Usable once per turn
    2. Usable whenever Turn Undead is usable
    3. Usable as many times as possible, limited by the "per day".

Turn Undead is considered an attack, so it would take up the same space of time as an attack action. An attack action takes up (unless I'm reading blind stumbling drunk again) a standard action. So the question if my logic follows is:

1. It specifies no action, therefore no action is needed. Free action.
    2. It uses Turn Undead's action, which is a standard action.

I'd have to say that I"ll go with numbers 1 and 3 respectively. So, unless anyone can provide RAW to the contrary, the ruling on Divine Impetus is:

It uses a free action and is not limited in number of iterations per round.
    (Su) abilities generally require a standard action per the rules. So RAW Divine Impetus just straight up does not function. RAI was probably for it to be a free action, but some people like to limit it to 1/turn.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

13. - Top - End - #13

WolfInSheepsClothing

For the purposes of a PO competition, I'm not going to limit it thusly since there's really no RAW to support either way, and RAW is a myth anyway. So as far as this Chairman's humble RAI opinion dictates, I think we'll call it an unlimited free action and be done with it.

If there's way too much gimmick abuse, the judges might count off for it. Alternatively, the judges might be disappointed if there's not ENOUGH gimmick abuse.

That's the beauty of competitions like these!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

a big question: given the text of RKV does not require the turn/rebuke attempts to explicitly be a class feature, do we still qualify for entry if it is acquired by non CF means?

obviously acquisition by item is a huge knock on build stability, but there are several semipermanent methods of acquisition that aren't classes or ACFs.
    The difference between the possible and the impossible, is the measure of a man's determination.
    -Capt. James Thain

15. - Top - End - #15

WolfInSheepsClothing

RKV is not in Complete Arcane or Warrior, so you can't un-qualify for the prestige class once you're in it. You're correct about impermanent methods of entry garnering a possible knock in build stability, but if the gains are worth it, it's probably better than playing it safe.

16. - Top - End - #16

HalflingPirate

There are a couple ways that I can think of.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

For the purposes of a PO competition, I'm not going to limit it thusly since there's really no RAW to support either way,
    The RAW is very clear on this. If a (Su) Ability has no action specified, it automatically defaults to a Standard Action. Just as WhamBam said.
    Of course that would make this ability rather useless, so also as he said, it should be houseruled to a Free Action, but limited to once per turn.

Unlimited DI uses are anything but Practical Optimization. It's the most ridiculous TO imaginable.
    Sorry, I love the RKV and I'd be happy to look at a Clericless build, but not under these PO-unsuitable non-constraints.
    Let me give you a brief rundown of an average Post-3E Era fight: You attack an enemy and start kicking his shins. He then starts kicking your shins, then you take it in turns kicking until one of you falls over. It basically comes down to who started the battle with the biggest boot, and the only strategy involved is realizing when things have gone tits up and legging it.

18. - Top - End - #18

HalflingPirate

Really, N Swift actions per turn from RKV is known cheese (whether legal or not), and should be viewed as such by the judges. I don't think we need a ruling on it. Each builder can build under whichever circumstance they feel best, and judges can decide how that ranks in Originality, Power, UoSI, and Build Stability. So, if your build capitalizes on it, hope for enough boost in one category or from one judge to make up for what you lose.
    Last edited by dextercorvia; 2014-04-18 at 08:18 AM. Reason: added originality ot the list
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Firechanter View Post
    The RAW is very clear on this. If a (Su) Ability has no action specified, it automatically defaults to a Standard Action. Just as WhamBam said.
    Of course that would make this ability rather useless, so also as he said, it should be houseruled to a Free Action, but limited to once per turn.

Unlimited DI uses are anything but Practical Optimization. It's the most ridiculous TO imaginable.
    Sorry, I love the RKV and I'd be happy to look at a Clericless build, but not under these PO-unsuitable non-constraints.
    I'm sorry, but you're wrong. It's Practical Optimization if the builders have the understanding that crossing into TO will likely garner a point deduction. There's a fine line between the two, and it all comes down to abuse. So yes, it's a Free Action and unlimited per turn. No, that doesn't mean that you have to go entirely 110% crazy with it and there's no guarantee that you have to either way. On the other hand, if you'd like to cite your source for your RAW claim, then I'll reverse my decision and follow the RAW.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

frown Re: Junkyard Wars in the Playground II

Could POSSIBLY throw something together for this. No garuntees though.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

On the other hand, if you'd like to cite your source for your RAW claim, then I'll reverse my decision and follow the RAW.
    It's right there in the SRD, chapter "Actions in Combat".
    Quote:
    Supernatural Abilities: Using a supernatural ability is usually a standard action (unless defined otherwise by the ability’s description). Its use cannot be disrupted, does not require concentration, and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

The Divine Impetus description does not define the required action. Hence, it defaults to Standard.
    Let me give you a brief rundown of an average Post-3E Era fight: You attack an enemy and start kicking his shins. He then starts kicking your shins, then you take it in turns kicking until one of you falls over. It basically comes down to who started the battle with the biggest boot, and the only strategy involved is realizing when things have gone tits up and legging it.

22. - Top - End - #22

WolfInSheepsClothing

Thanks, Firechanter.

In that case Divine Impetus takes a standard action to grant a swift action and is usable as many times per round as you can cram it in.

More challenge, I suppose.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

You're welcome. I was quite amazed when I first was made aware of this.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Usually I see it ruled as free action activation ( or the ability doesn't make sense) but limited to 1/turn as supported by the text.

AFB atm, but the line went something like: "spend an attempt to gain one additional swift action this turn"
    -Capt. James Thain

25. - Top - End - #25

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Windstorm View Post
    Usually I see it ruled as free action activation ( or the ability doesn't make sense) but limited to 1/turn as supported by the text.

AFB atm, but the line went something like: "spend an attempt to gain one additional swift action this turn"
    The idea is that there are certain things which can ONLY be done as swift actions, which you typically only get one of. The idea is that if you've got an extra standard action to spare for some reason you can get two swift actions per turn to do the things that can only be done as swift actions.

I may be stumbling blind drunk again (which is awkward, because I'm at work) but aren't readying maneuvers and changing stances swift actions ONLY?

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Firechanter View Post
    You're welcome. I was quite amazed when I first was made aware of this.
    This... Nerfs it so much. I like it. I think.

Aaaand I'm in as a contestant.

INB4: Is Cloistered Cleric out as well?
    Last edited by Xerlith; 2014-04-18 at 10:10 AM.
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    This is the Playground. We're a repository of D&D Knowledge. Kinda like the Library of Congress, but with more screaming about RAW vs. RAI.

27. - Top - End - #27

Yes Divine Impetus becomes less of an "I Win" button with the RAW reading. However, it still provides a unique mechanic, as I don't know of anywhere else in 3.5 where you can trade a standard action in for a swift. IIRC, that was a creation of 4E with minor actions. So it's not that it doesn't work or doesn't make sense as written...it just doesn't rip the game wide open.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

28. - Top - End - #28

Okay. If time allows, there'll be three builds from me...
    Last edited by Xerlith; 2014-04-18 at 11:22 AM.
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    This is the Playground. We're a repository of D&D Knowledge. Kinda like the Library of Congress, but with more screaming about RAW vs. RAI.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

I've... got a hilariously bad idea for this. If nothing else it'll get me "What the hell was he smoking?" points.

30. - Top - End - #30

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    I've... got a hilariously bad idea for this. If nothing else it'll get me "What the hell was he smoking?" points.
    Yes! Good! That's the mindset!