1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Junkyard Wars in the Playground II

How many submissions?

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kazudo View Post
    If done right, it's the difference between "pretty fast car" and "really popular pretty fast car".

At any rate, I've gotten in some choice submissions, and we've only got *checks watch* 3 days(ish) left in the entrant stage before we go onto the judging stage!
    How many have you gotten so far?

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Five so far if my count is correct. Got only a few days left too!

4. - Top - End - #94
    Orc in the Playground

Funny, with the early submissions I thought there'd be more....now I'm going to make sure I sent mine in

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Mine's in. I might manage a second one, but I'm not sure. My first kind of ruined all my outside the box thinking on this. :)

6. - Top - End - #96

WolfInSheepsClothing

Hahh...I just noticed that this competition is running exactly in line with IC now because of the timing around the Forum Shutdown.

Hmm. Not sure exactly what/when to do about that, if anything's necessary.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

i'm not going to be able to submit my build

once all the entries are posted i might put up the bare bones of my build, it probably wouldn't have done well in the first place
    elemental avatar by kaariane

extended signature

8. - Top - End - #98

WolfInSheepsClothing

Feel free to do just that. Typically that's what we request. After the reveal, feel free to post the stubs. It's entirely possible that you might have come up with something truly enjoyable and unique.

9. - Top - End - #99

WolfInSheepsClothing

Woah! Get off page 4!

Anyway, bumping with content, TODAY'S THE DAY! AIN'T IT GRAND?

Only a matter of hours left until the grand reveal!

10. - Top - End - #100
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yeah definitely not getting in on this one with a few hours to go. Love RKV, but it has a lot of baggage and I couldn't think of much in the way of unique twists on it that would work out to have the power necessary.

But I think I will do a judging. I'm pretty free most of next week, so I should have plenty of time for it.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

11. - Top - End - #101

Only a matter of hours left until the grand reveal!
    Yeep! I'd better get cracking!

If I don't manage to get something together in time, I'm down to judge as well.

12. - Top - End - #102

Yeah I have no chance of getting in a complete submission for this one.

And I slated myself to judge the current round of Iron Chef. Maybe I will be able to judge this one as well.

13. - Top - End - #103

WolfInSheepsClothing

Some staggering will happen one way or the other and we'll be back to having only-slightly-overlapping games again.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Yeah definitely not getting in on this one with a few hours to go. Love RKV, but it has a lot of baggage and I couldn't think of much in the way of unique twists on it that would work out to have the power necessary.
    See, that's the problem with using powerful elements like RKV. Sure, the disallowed item is a nice twist, but RKV optimization has been done to death, so we are unlikely to see much that is new. I kind of liked the first comp, which used generally awful stuff all around, AND removed the obvious entry.

I guess what I'm asking for is more ... pain.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

15. - Top - End - #105

WolfInSheepsClothing

Oh, I think I'm going to have another "What-If" episode next, then we'll go back to some more wheeling and dealing on some pain.

That being said, if anyone has any suggestions they can feel free to either post or inbox them to me, and they might even show up on the next episode of Junkyard Wars!

16. - Top - End - #106

AssassinGuy

OK forgot to post my judging criteria - I modified it a bit from last time because I felt it was unfair for people who went for more fluff than optimizing and didn't realize it would net them more points.

Originality (5 points):
    Race (1) - Original / non-optimized races = 1, Human races = 0.5, expected or optimized races = 0.
    Base Class (1) - Using a interesting base class = 1, other base class = 0.5.
    Combination of Class abilities (2) - utilizing 3 class abilities to make a single combo (or combo chain) = 2, utilizing 2 class abilities to make a single combo (or combo chain) = 1, not using a combo chain = 0.
    Crackers with your Cheese (1) - no cheese = 1, one cheesy entry (a feat or alternate cheesy sources) = 0.5, using more than one cheesy entry = 0.

Power (5 points):
    Combat / ability to solve encounters (3) - tier 2 = 3, tier 3 = 2, tier 4 = 1, and tier 5 = 0.
    Out of combat / usefulness in RP situations (2) - 0.5 points for each OoC role the build can do.

Build Stability (5 points):
    Multiclassing (3) - One base class = 3, two base classes = 2, three or more base classes = 1, taking XP penalties for too much multiclassing = -1 modifier to prior scores.
    Prerequisites (2) - If the prerequisites for the PrC are entered in a traditional way (via a full fledged class ability) = 2, If prereqs are gained via conditional class abilities or magic items = 1, if prerequisites are taken away after the fact = 0.

Use of Secret Ingredient (5 points):
    Use of the Special Prestige Class (3) - One point for each ability of the PrC used in combat.
    Use of the Special Class Feature (2) - ability to heal multiple people at the same time = +0.5, ability to heal at range (not touch) = +0.5, ability to heal more than 40 HP on a single target = +0.5, ability to do other things while healing = +0.5

Let me know if things aren't clear so I can justify why I put certain points certain places, or what I mean by a particular statement.

17. - Top - End - #107

WolfInSheepsClothing

Good stuff, NoAC.

OK. WE HAVE A SLIGHT DILEMMA.

The Reveal isn't for another 2 hours, however, in an hour I have to head home and actually lose access to the internet. So, without any further ado, I'm going to go ahead and reveal the builds now. If anyone submits one in the next two hours, I apologize, but it may not make it into the competition. Sorry to press things.

That being said, Please refrain from posting until after the reveal.

18. - Top - End - #108

WolfInSheepsClothing

Started at the bottom, now we here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravima of Divided Faiths

Ravima of Divided Faiths

32 Point buy: Str 15, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 13, Wis 9, Cha 14
    Paladin4/Crusader1/Ruby Knight Windicator 2/Divine Crusader 1/Ruby Night Windicator +8/Contemplative2/Warblade1/Swordsage 1

Spoiler: Fluff, levels 1-9
    Show

Losing My Religion

Ravima was a totally ordinary and boring paladin of Pelor and Wee Jas, crusading in defence of mages and their holy works and doing typical melee mundane guard duty for the churches of Pelor and Wee Jas while the people actually capable of shaping the world shaped the world.

Great evils fell over the land, and suffice to say, swiftly contrived a situation where several mages were injured and the great magic required to save everyone was impossible. Ravima wanted to heal the mages, but his hands were too weak, and he cursed Wee Jas as he lacked the magic to save them.

Ravima focused her faith on Pelor, and began taking lessons from a priest of Pelor (the horror, the horror!), and for ages continued his duties to the church of Wee Jas, hiding his new found healing prowess, only using it on unconscious mages (why are they always unconscious?). But eventually, a mage realized that Ravima was healing more than a paladin of Wee Jas should be able to, and J`accuse!

Spoiler: Fluff, levels 10+
    Show

Returning to the Fold

Ravima was swiftly put on magical Wee Jasian church trial (presumably by some Cleric 3/Church Inquisitors2/real prestige classes etcetera clerics, because I love free lunches), and Ravima staunchly argued that if healing spells are magic, why can't healing spells be part of Wee Jas's domain? Why should she have to hide her faith in Pelor as well?

Derisively called a Pelorian (the horror, the horror!), Ravima was put on probation, which secretly meant going on all the most dangerous and brutal missions, which actually suited Ravima fine. Ravima's healing abilities proved useful time and time again, but were inevitably endlessly mocked. Sick of it all, Ravima went to the mountains to meditate and spent two levels in solid contemplation, during which Wee Jas decided to forgive Ravima and provide her with access to the magic domain once more.

Ravima, returned to the churches of Pelor and Wee Jas, demonstrating Wee Jas's renewed faith in her (and her renewed faith in Wee Jas), and she took many more supposedly suicidal missions --- her mix of magic and healing proving essential and learning more about the martial arts she'd trained in in the process.

Spoiler: What's with the odd faith stuff?
    Show

Paladin requires Lawful Good --- Divine Crusader requires an alignment of must match chosen deity. Wee Jas is inconveniently not Lawful Good --- and none of the Paladin variants are Lawful Neutral. Kazudo said "I am going to go with the "fluff is mutable" answer there. You can use the RKV variant that doesn't worship Wee Jas." but I wanted to keep it close as possible --- plus I like the flavour of a Paladin struggling to choose between a passion for magic and a passion for healing.

The heretic of faith feat lets you "you can grossly violate your deities code of conduct, but not your class alignment restriction, without risk of loss of spells or class abilities." and "If you have access to domains, you can exchange any one domain you have with another domain outside those normally availiable to your faith. The new domain must be consistant with the tenents of your heresy (as adjudicated by the DM)."

So you are, in part, a heretic to Wee Jas. You could drop all this for a much less interesting Ruby Knight Vindicator of Pelor and just take Power Attack there, but I wanted to see how close I could get, and this is what I could come up with.

Spoiler: Sourcing jokes included, but only for the obvious things. Non-obvious things get proper sourcing
    Show

Level Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features
    1st Paladin 1 +1 +2 +0 +0 Knowledge Religion +4, Hide +2, Intimidate +1, Concentration +2, Use magic device +2 Quicken Spell, Human Feat: Weapon Focus, Dagger Aura of Good, Detect Evil, Smite Evil 1/day
    2nd Paladin 2 +2 +3 +0 +0 Knowledge Religion +5, Hide +2.5, Intimidate +1, Concentration +3, Use magic device +2.5 - Divine Grace, Lay on Hands
    3rd Paladin 3 +3 +3 +1 +1 Knowledge Religion +6, Hide +3, Intimidate +1, Concentration +4, Use magic device +3 Combat Reflexes Aura of courage, divine health
    4th Paladin 4 Holy Warrior, Complete Champion pg 49 +4 +4 +1 +1 Knowledge Religion +7, Hide +3.5, Intimidate +1, Concentration +5, Use magic device +3.5 Divine Metamagic (Complete Divine Page 80), Quicken Spell Attribute, Turn Undead
    5th Crusader 1 (Tome of Battle Page 8ish) +5 +6 +1 +1 Knowledge Religion +8, Hide +4, Intimidate +4, Concentration +5, Use magic device +4 - Furious counterstrike, steely resolve 5
    6th Ruby Knight Vindicator 1 (Tome of Battle Page 100andsomething) +6/+1 +6 +1 +3 Knowledge Religion +8, Hide +4, Intimidate +4, Concentration +9, Spellcraft +1, Use magic device +4.5 Combat Expertise -
    7th Ruby Knight Vindicator 2 +7/+2 +6 +1 +4 Knowledge Religion +8, Hide +4, Intimidate +4, Concentration +10, Spellcraft +5, Use magic device +5 - Divine Recovery
    8th Divine Crusader 1 (Complete Divine page 33) +7/+2 +6 +1 +6 Knowledge Religion +10, Hide +4, Intimidate +4, Concentration +11, Spellcraft +5, Use magic device +5.5 Aura, Domain: Magic Attribute
    9th Ruby Knight Vindicator 3 +8/+3 +7 +2 +6 Knowledge Religion +10, Hide +4, Intimidate +4, Concentration +12, Spellcraft +9, Use magic device +6 Heretic of Faith --- Domain (magic) becomes Domain (healing) (Power of Faerûn, p. 46) (or if your DM allows you to access Ruby Knight Vindicator without worshipping Wee Jas, take Power Attack here) -
    10th Ruby Knight Vindicator 4 +9/+4 +7 +2 +7 Knowledge Religion +10, Hide +4, Intimidate +4, Concentration +13, Spellcraft +13, Use magic device +6.5 - -
    11th Ruby Knight Vindicator 5 +10/+5 +7 +2 +7 Knowledge Religion +13, Hide +4, Intimidate +4, Concentration +14, Spellcraft +14, Use magic device +7 - Armored Stealth
    12th Ruby Knight Vindicator 6 +11/+6/+1 +8 +3 +8 Knowledge Religion +15, Hide +4, Intimidate +4, Concentration +15, Spellcraft +15, Balance +1, Use magic device +7.5 Improved Trip Attribute
    13th Ruby Knight Vindicator 7 +12/+7/+2 +8 +3 +8 Knowledge Religion +16, Hide +4, Intimidate +4, Concentration +16, Spellcraft +16, Balance +3, Use magic device +8 - Divine Impetus
    14th Ruby Knight Vindicator 8 +13/+8/+3 +8 +3 +9 Knowledge Religion +17, Hide +4, Intimidate +4, Concentration +17, Spellcraft +17, Balance +5, Use magic device +8.5 - -
    15th Ruby Knight Vindicator 9 +14/+9/+4 +9 +4 +9 Knowledge Religion +18, Hide +4, Intimidate +4, Concentration +18, Spellcraft +18, Balance +7, Use magic device +9 Extra Granted Manouver (Tome of Battle, page 35ish) Divine Fury
    16th Ruby Knight Vindicator 10 +15/+10/+5 +9 +4 +10 Knowledge Religion +19, Hide +4, Intimidate +4, Concentration +19, Spellcraft +19, Balance +9, Use magic device +9.5 - Attribute
    17th Contemplative 1 (Complete Divine page 30) +15/+10/+5 +9 +4 +12 Knowledge Religion +20, Hide +4, Intimidate +4, Concentration +20, Spellcraft +20, Balance +9, Use magic device +10 - Bonus Domain (magic), Divine Health
    18th Contemplative 2 +16/+11/+6/+1 +9 +4 +13 Knowledge Religion +21, Hide +4, Intimidate +4, Concentration +21, Spellcraft +21, Balance +9, Use magic device +10.5 Adaptive Style (Tome of Battle also a made up page number) Slippery Mind
    19th Warblade 1 (Tome of Battle, somewhere between the fields of fighters can't have nice things and the {Scrubbed} fighting magic) +17/+12/+7/+2 +11 +4 +13 Knowledge Religion +21, Hide +4, Intimidate +4, Concentration +22, Spellcraft +21, Balance +13, Use magic device +11 - Battle clarity (Reflex saves), weapon aptitude
    20th Swordsage 1 (Tome of Battle, somewhere between munchkins and core druids with natural spell and class features stronger than your entire class) +17/+12/+7/+2 +11 +6 +15 Knowledge Religion +21, Hide +4, Intimidate +4, Concentration +23, Spellcraft +21, Balance +19, Use magic device +11.5 - Quick to act +1, discipline focus (weapon focus) , Attribute

Spoiler: Spell Chart
    Show

You cast from the healing domain. Cure Light Wounds, Cure Moderate Wounds, Cure Serious Wounds, Cure Even More Serious Wounds, Cure Light Wounds Mass, Heal ALL THE WOUNDS, Regenerate, Cure Even More Serious Wounds, mass, and HEAL ALL ALL THE WOUNDS.

You might also get to cast from the magic domain once you regain it, but Divine Crusader is a bit ambiguous on that point, and besides, one of the secret ingredients is healing spells, so just cast those.
    Spells per Day/Spells Known
    Level 0lvl 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th
    1st - - - - - - - - - -
    2nd - - - - - - - - - -
    3rd - - - - - - - - - -
    4th - - - - - - - - - -
    5th - - - - - - - - - -
    6th - - - - - - - - - -
    7th - - - - - - - - - -
    8th - 0 - - - - - - - -
    9th - 1 0 - - - - - - -
    10th - 2 1 0 - - - - - -
    11th - 2 2 1 0 - - - - -
    12th - 2 2 1 0 - - - - -
    13th - 3 2 2 1 0 - - - -
    14th - 3 3 2 2 1 0 - - -
    15th - 3 3 3 2 2 1 0 - -
    16th - 3 3 3 3 2 2 1 0 -
    17th - 3 3 3 3 3 2 2 1 0
    18th - 3 3 3 3 3 3 2 2 1
    19th - 3 3 3 3 3 3 2 2 1
    20th - 3 3 3 3 3 3 2 2 1

Spoiler: Manoeuvre chart
    Show

Char Level 5, Crusader 1, IL3: Mountain Hammer, Shield Block, Douse the Flames, Charging Minotaur, Vanguard Strike, and Iron Guard's Glare
    Char level 6, Ruby Knight 1, IL 4: Child of Shadows, Extra Granted Manoeuvre (5/3)
    Char level 7, Ruby Knight 2, IL 5: White Raven Tactics
    Char level 10, Ruby Knight 4, IL 7.5: Bone Splitting Strike
    Char level 11, Ruby Knight 5, IL 8.5: +1 readied Manoeuvre (6/4)
    Char level 12, Ruby Knight 6, IL 9.5: Shadow Stride and Thicket of Blades
    Char level 14, Ruby Knight 8, IL 11.5: Order Forged From Chaos
    Char level 15, Ruby Knight 9, IL 12.5: +1 readied Manoeuvre (7/5)
    Char level 16, Ruby Knight 10, IL 13.5: Shadow Blink
    Default List for crusader: Shadow Blink, Shadow Stride, Order Forged from Chaos, Bone Splitting Strike, White Raven Tactics, Shield Block, and one of your choice (base crusader options, meh)
    Char Level 19, Warblade 1, IL 15: 3/3/1: --- Diamond Defence, Stance of Clarity, Action Before Thought, Diamond Nightmare Blade
    Char level 20, Swordsage 1, IL 15.5: 6/4/1: Enervating Shadow Strike, Inferno Blade, Rapid Counter, Moment of Alacrity, Quicksilver Motion, One With Shadow, and Surefoot Stance.

I'll be 100% honest: There are a lot of options here, and I'm not sold on every last one of them. Tome of Battle has a lot of good choices, and picking between them can be tough. I'm happy to take suggestions if anyone notes and glaring omissions on manoeuvre selection while judging.

Spoiler: 5th level Showcase
    Show

With combat reflexes and the rest of your feats being terrible or irrelevant, you're wielding a guisarm and armor spikes, and just rocking the 10 foot threat range with combat reflexes for all it's worth. You've got your first set of crusader manoeuvres, of which, there are some solid choices --- though shield block doesn't come online until you can get an animated shield (unless your DM lets you use it with a buckler you're not getting the AC bonus from).

Spoiler: 10th level Showcase
    Show

You still have basically full BAB, but now you also have healing magic (with free quickens), and your manoeuvre selection is improving too: Bone Splitting Strike and White Raven tactics are both excellent. Greatreach bracers let you increase your threat range massively a few times a day, and even a simple enlarge person puts you up to 15 foot threat radius.

You're using heretic of faith to swap the magic domain for the healing domain --- but you're not that much of a heretic --- you're allowed to step 2 alignment points away, but Wee Jas is Lawful Neutral and you're Lawful Good and staying that way (because of the Paladin levels), so that part of the feat is unnecessary. Plus I love the theme of a paladin deciding the god of magic needs to include magical healing in his domain --- but that's because I'm arrogant as all hell.

Spoiler: 15th level Showcase
    Show

At this point, basically everything is online. You have improved trip (finally), you have almost as much healing magic as your party cleric (and thus can free up their slots for being more awesome), your BAB is still 14 out of 15, and you've got a huge selection of very useful manoeuvres --- including White Raven Tactics, Thicket of Blades stance, Order Forged from Chaos for free move actions for allies, and the shadow blinks. With a reasonable single nightstick + single reliquary holy symbol + 4 charisma item you'll have 13 turns --- 2 more from somewhere (more charisma) gets you 3 free quickens a day for your high level heals --- though you can, of course, pay spell slots to quicken your lower ones, too. You can throw out 2 heals a round for a couple rounds, and you have Ruby Knight Vindicator's odd option to trade a standard action for a swift action: there will be rounds where you want to switch stances and use a boost, or use two boosts, or swift action items --- and now you can.

You also have an overlooked +4 attack+1d10 damage on a strike option, and the option to use turns to recover manoeuvres, both of which are generally quite solid.

Spoiler: 20th level showcase
    Show

You have full 9th level healing access, as good as a cleric but with fewer slots --- but you've got nothing else to do and the cleric wants to gate in solars and implode them for the fun of it. Having 3 quickened mass heals per day is your parties great get out of jail free card.

The contemplative here is mostly thematic; returning to the fold and regaining the magic domain. But really it's just to get the last 2 divine crusader caster levels for mass heal; you could put whatever you want here (Divine orcale: + that complete scoundrel location for skill focus: religion gets you evasion), church inquisitioner has easy pre-requisites and gives the inquisition domain --- you really just need 2 more caster levels on divine crusader.

You get slippery mind, which is awesome, but more importantly, huge defensive and offensive boosts from the Warblade and Swordsage dips --- one of the best parts of Ruby Knight Vindicator and other ToB prestige classes is they boost your characters base IL, even for classes you don't have levels in. Diamond Defense provides +15 to all saves and Action before thought replaces your terrible reflex save with your great concentration skill. And Diamond Nightmare Blade's wonderful quadruple damage (qualified for by taking 3 no requirement diamond mind manoeuvres at the same level --- yep, that's legal) is always a winner.

Similar tricks come with that final swordsage level, giving you huge versatility and power: Enervation, which you qualify for thanks to Ruby Knight Windicator opening up the shadow jaunt lines (and child of shadows stance), Rapid Counter gets you an extra AoO, moment of alacrity is the other “Hey, die action economy” manoeuvre (you have white Raven Tactics) (and hell Quicksilver motion for upgrading swifts to moves), one with Shadow for Incorporeality. Lots of solid stuff here.

Spoiler: Gear that matters
    Show

A solid guisarm with good heavy-ish (mithril) or medium armor and armor spikes (also upgraded). Appropriate melee gear across the board, with stat boosters in Str/Dex/Con and Cha --- int and wis are your dumps. Things that increase reach, and standard necessary melee utility.

This build doesn't require anything special in comparison to a standard fighter melee wise to work, though it has access to full cross class UMD ranks

Spoiler: Variants
    Show

Delaying RKV entry to put divine crusader first would eliminate the need to use contemplative (or something else) to finish divine crusader casting. Something like Paladin 4/Crusader 3/Divine Crusader 2/RKV 10/X1 would work --- if the last level is Crusader 4, it gets you a stance, too.

Finishing off Crusader 4 in this build (Paladin4/Crusader1/RKV2/Divine Crusader1/RKV+8/Crusader+4) would let you pick up Strike of Righteous Vitality; but while it mimics heal, it's not a Conjuration (Healing) spell --- and you'd lose access to your 9th level Divine Crusader mass heal. Plus the late level dips of swordsage and warblade seriously boost the power and shore up (in particular) the weak reflex save with Diamond Defense (+15 to all saves? Hell yeah) and Action Before Thought (your base reflex save is +6. Your concentration skill is +23? Uh, yes).
    Fractional BAB would only pick you up 1 more point of BAB, so whatevers. You don't ever hit multiclassing experience penalties (negating paladin as favoured class, all other non-prestige levels are within 1 level of each other).

One flaw for Power Attack would be nice, especially with your high level damage manoeuvres, but this build is more defensively focused: It can be a primary tank and primary healer --- let someone else do most of the damage --- though with Diamond Nightmare Blade, Enervation Strike, and Bonesplitter, you're not a pathetic slouch.

If you have a DM that lets you take RKV without worshipping Wee Jas, worship Pelor and pick up the Healing Domain the normal way. Use Contemplative 2 to gain the Sun domain, and finish with Radiant Servant of Pelor 2 for free empowered healing, if you feel like your heals are insufficient --- you can pay for the extra turning feat. Or finish the build as normal, and actually take power attack.

Spoiler: Addendum, Moment of Alacrity + White Raven Tactics
    Show

Initiative order:

You: 40 pts (Moment of Alacrity)
    Monster: 22 pts
    Ally: 21 pts
    You: 20 pts
    Ally: 19 pts (White Raven tactics)

Normally, the easy option here is to white raven tactics your ally to give them an extra round. So you do.
    If you have moment of alacrity, Divine impetus can also be used to give you a bonus move action here in the same turn. Normally you'd just hang on to it next round, but if positioning really matters/you really need to land a full attack on the enemy, Moment of Alacrity + Divine Impetus provides an extra move action:

You use a standard action to activate divine impetus, which gives you a swift action. You now have your move action to do what you want, to set up your moment of alacrity inspired lead. If you follow the Customer Service ruling that you can White Raven Tactics yourself, it gets insane:

You: 39 pts (Moment of Alacrity)
    Monster: 22 pts
    You: 20 pts
    You: 19 pts (White Raven tactics)

Your round 1: Standard + Move or full, swift action WRT yourself.
    Your round 2: Standard + move or full, swift action Moment of Alacrity yourself.
    Your round 3: Standard + move or full: standard give an extra swift, swift 1 to divine recovery White Raven tactics, swift to to white Raven tactics yourself, and use the move however you want. After hitting yourself with moment of Alacrity to push your initiative way above the monsters, you can use Divine Impetus + Divine Recovery for a number of move actions equal to your turning attempts, or the amount by which you're higher than the monsters initiative (since each WRT reduces your initiative by one.) On rounds where you recover White Raven tactics via roll, you don't even have to use divine recovery/divine impetus. It's the always ready "Dumb" crusader, without the master of nine levels.

Rocking out 10-15 extra move actions, with a mix of full rounds in there? Not bad at all.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2014-05-03 at 07:21 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109

WolfInSheepsClothing

I was on the moon! With Steve!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven the Grim
    Steven the Grim, Knight of the Ruby Raven
    LG Human, worships Wee Jas
    Healer1/Swordsage2/Crusader3/Knight of the Raven4/Ruby Knight Vindicator10

Starting Stats:
    Str 13
    Dex 12
    Con 12
    Int 12
    Wis 16
    Cha 13

Level Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features
    1st Healer1 +0 +2 +0 +2 Hide(2), Intimidate(2), Heal(4), Know(Religion)(4), Concentration(4), Diplomacy(4), Spellcraft(4) Augment Healing, Able Learner Healing Hands (+Cha to healing spells)
    2nd Swordsage1 +0 +2 +2 +4 Heal(5), Know(Religion)(5), Concentration(5), Diplomacy(5), Spellcraft(5), Tumble(x3,3) Weapon Focus (Stone Dragon) Quick to Act +1
    3rd Swordsage2 +1 +2 +3 +5 Hide(3), Intimidate(3), Heal(6), Know(Religion)(6), Diplomacy(6), Concentration(6), Tumble(x2,5) Adaptive Style +Wis to AC
    4th Crusader1 +2 +4 +3 +5 Hide(4), Intimidate(4), Heal(7), Know(Religion)(7), Diplomacy(7), Concentration(7) - Furious Counterstrike, Steely Resolve5, +1 Cha (lvl4)
    5th Crusader2 +3 +5 +3 +5 Heal(8), Know(Religion)(8), Diplomacy(8), Concentration(8), Tumble(x2,7) - Indomitable Soul (+Cha to Will)
    6th Crusader3 +4 +5 +4 +6 Heal(9), Know(Religion)(9), Diplomacy(9), Concentration(9), Tumble(x2,9) Extra Granted Maneuver Zealous Surge (reroll save 1/day)
    7th Knight of the Raven1 +5 +7 +4 +8 Heal(10), Know(Religion)(10), Diplomacy(10), Concentration(10) - Raven Harrier (harry), Speak with Ravens
    8th KoR2 +6 +8 +4 +9 Heal(11), Concentration(11), Tumble(10) Diplomacy(11) - Smite Undead 1/day, +1 divine casting (as Healer2), +1 Str (lvl 8)
    9th KoR3 +7 +8 +5 +9 Heal(12), Concentration(12), Tumble(11), Diplomacy(12) Extra Turning Turn Undead, Sun Domain, Raven Harrier (baffle), +1 divine casting (as Healer3)
    10th KoR4 +8 +9 +5 +10 Heal(13), Concentration(13), Tumble(12), Diplomacy(13) - Light Focus, Smite Undead 2/day, +1 divine casting (as Healer4)
    11th Ruby Knight Vindicator1 +9 +9 +5 +12 Heal(14), Concentration(14), Tumble(x2,13), Balance(x2,2) - -
    12th RKV2 +10 +9 +5 +13 Heal(15), Concentration(15), Tumble(x2,15), Balance(x2,4) Touch of Healing Divine Recovery, +1 divine casting (as Healer5), +1 Wis (lvl 12)
    13th RKV3 +11 +10 +6 +13 Heal(16), Concentration(16), Diplomacy(x3,16), Balance(5) - +1 divine casting (as Healer6)
    14th RKV4 +12 +10 +6 +14 Heal(17), Concentration(17), Diplomacy(17), Sense Motive(x3,3) - +1 divine casting (as Healer7)
    15th RKV5 +13 +10 +6 +14 Heal(18), Concentration(18), Diplomacy(18), Sense Motive (x3,6) Extra Turning Armored Stealth, +1 divine casting (as Healer8)
    16th RKV6 +14 +11 +7 +15 Heal(19), Concentration(19), Diplomacy(19), Sense Motive(x3,9) - +1 Wis (lvl 16)
    17th RKV7 +15 +11 +7 +15 Heal(20), Concentration(20), Diplomacy(20), Sense Motive(x3,12) - Divine Impetus, +1 divine casting (as Healer9)
    18th RKV8 +16 +11 +7 +16 Heal(21), Concentration(21), Diplomacy(21), Sense Motive (x3,15) Practiced Spellcaster +1 divine casting (as Healer10)
    19th RKV9 +17 +12 +8 +16 Heal(22), Concentration(22), Diplomacy(22), Sense Motive (x3,18) - Divine Fury, +1 divine casting (as Healer11)
    20th RKV10 +18 +12 +8 +17 Heal(23), Concentration(23), Diplomacy(23), Sense Motive(x3,21) - +1 divine casting (as Healer12), +1 Wis (lvl20)

Initiator progression
    Spoiler
    Show
    2 Swordsage1 (4 readied), Blistering Flourish (DW), Moment of Perfect Mind (DM), Sapphire Nightmare Blade (DM), Counter Charge (SS), Sudden Leap (TC), Child of Shadow (SH, Stance)
    3 Swordsage2 Clinging Shadow Strike (SH), Flame’s Blesing (DW, stance)
    4 Crusader1 5(3) readied, Crusader’s Strike (DS), Vanguard Strike (DS), Charging Minotaur(SD), Leading the Attack (WR), Douse the Flames (WR), Martial Spirit (DS, stance)
    5 Crusader2 Iron Guard’s Glare (DS, stance)
    6 Crusader3 Tactical Strike (WR)
    11 RKV1 Thicket of Blades (DS, stance)
    12 RKV2 White Raven Tactics (WR)
    13 RKV3 -
    14 RKV4 White Raven Strike (WR)
    15 RKV5 6(3) readied
    16 RKV6 Rallying Strike (DS) Aura of Triumph (DS, Stance)
    17 RKV7 -
    18 RKV8 Shadow Blink (SH)
    19 RKV9 7(3) readied
    20 RKV10 White Raven Hammer (WR)

General equipment: Greatsword, Studded Leather armor, items boosting Wisdom, Charisma, and Strength
    *Optional: If available, the Sunsword, a legacy weapon from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, is (shockingly) decent. The Personal Costs are only HP loss (which you can handle) and a minor penalty to skill checks. A discounted +5 Keen Silvered Bastard Sword that counts as a short sword, with anti-undead capabilities? Sounds good to me. If this is allowed, pick Diamond Mind for your Weapon Focus instead.

The challenge was to combine conjuration (healing) spells with Ruby Knight Vindicator, without using the Cleric class. While Favored Soul might have been a more natural fit for the martial nature of the PrC (and offering a clear Tier-2 spell list), the Healer class offered a challenge I just couldn’t resist. Besides, you can’t get much more chock-full of Conjuration (Healing) spells than that.

So, how to put it all together into a class that’s thematically interesting, decently powerful, and something I’d actually allow at my own table? I went to "Expedition to Castle Ravenloft" for the answer: the “Knight of the Raven” prestige class. A worshiper of Wee Jas would certainly fit in as a knight dedicated to destroying undead. Access to the Sun Domain spells gives Healer casting a bit more offensive punch that would have been completely absent otherwise. When it came to Crusader (and RKV), I tried to select the maneuvers a bit heavily on the White Raven side, to keep with the Raven theme.

By level 20, the Knight of the Ruby Raven has a BAB of 18, has an Initiator level of Crusader16, and casts spells as a Healer12. The sweet spot is probably level 15. RKV has turned on, most of the maneuvers are in place, you have your levels of Knight of the Raven, and your Healing spells are starting to take off.

Unfortunately, due to entry requirements, healing (from spells) is really light in the lower levels. He’ll still be doing plenty of hit point restoration from Crusader maneuvers. While Augment Healing and Healing Hands (which stack) get a lot of punch out of the spells available, it’s not until around level 10 or so that they really take off. Touch of Healing (a reserve feat) will take everybody up to (at minimum) half hitpoints outside of combat, so you get even more mileage out of your actual spells.

Even at lower levels, there’s plenty for the character to do. A good base attack bonus, high hitpoints, and offensive capacity from Maneuvers (thanks to Crusader) means he can hold his own in melee combat even with a low-ish strength. Good Tumble skills (combined with light armor) gives him good mobility on the battlefield. Maxing out Diplomacy means he can serve as the party face in friendly social situations. (Sadly, he’s no Bluffer).

The build also posed a defensive problem, thanks to the Healer: while the character would be a backup frontline melee fighter, it’s not allowed to have any metal armor. Enter: two levels of Swordsage (regular, not unarmed), for +Wis to AC. This synergizes with his Healer casting. (I could have used just one level of Monk as well, but Swordsage just gave a bit more, both in terms of skill points and maneuvers).

I’ve selected Extra Turning twice. Depending on how comfortable you are with the cheese that is Divine Impetus, this can be used either for actual Turn Attempts (you are playing a character who is very interested in fighting undead, and Sun Domain gives 1/day Greater Turning) or to fuel Swift Actions. Several of the maneuvers are “dual-use,” activating on a swift action; good on their own, cheesy combined with multiple uses of Divine Impetus in a round. So is the Knight of the Raven’s “Harry” ability; swift actions to get a chance at decreasing your opponent’s AC by 2. These abilities are only as cheesy as you want them to be. One/round? Useful, cool but reasonable. Using Divine Impetus and Divine Recovery to “White Raven Tactics” everybody in your party? Bearded stilton.

20. - Top - End - #110

WolfInSheepsClothing

Mercy mercy, that's a spicy meatball. [Haha...ha...hah.]

Quote Originally Posted by Raphaella d'Jorasco
    Raphaella d'Jorasco, Mercy Knight

Water Halfling Spirit Shaman 4/Crusader 1/Knight of the Raven 3/Ruby Knight Vindicator 9/Prestige Paladin 2

Spoiler: Nuts and Bolts
    Show

Ability Scores
    Ability Point Buy Race Level Total
    Strength 17 -2 +5 20
    Dexterity 8 +2 +0 10
    Constitution 14 +2 +0 16
    Intelligence 10 +0 +0 10
    Wisdom 16 +0 +0 16
    Charisma 9 +0 +0 9

Level history
    1st Spirit Shaman 1 +0 +2 +0 +2 Hide 2, Intimidate 2, Knowledge (Religion) 1, Ride 2, UMD 2 Least Dragonmark (lesser restoration 1/day), Gatekeeper Initiate Power Attack, Wild Cohort Spirit guide, wild empathy
    2nd Spirit Shaman 2 +1 +3 +0 +3 Hide 2½, Intimidate 2½, Knowledge (Religion) 1, Ride 3, UMD 2½ - Chastise spirits
    3rd Spirit Shaman 3 +2 +3 +1 +3 Hide 3, Intimidate 3, Knowledge (Religion) 1½, Ride 4, UMD 3 Mounted Combat Detect spirits
    4th Spirit Shaman 4 +3 +4 +1 +4 Hide 3½, Intimidate 3, Knowledge (Religion) 2, Ride 5, UMD 3½ - Blessing of the spirits
    5th Crusader 1 +4 +6 +1 +4 Hide 4, Intimidate 4, Knowledge (Religion) 4, Ride 5, UMD 4 - Furious counterstrike, steely resolve 5
    6th Knight of the Raven 1 +5 +8 +1 +6 Hide 4, Intimidate 4, Knowledge (Religion) 6, Ride 5, UMD 4 Lesser Dragonmark (restoration 1/day) Raven harrier (harry), speak with ravens
    7th +6 +9 +1 +7 Hide 4, Intimidate 4, Knowledge (Religion) 7, Ride 5, UMD 4½ - Smite undead 1/day
    8th Knight of the Raven 3 +7 +9 +2 +7 Hide 4, Intimidate 4, Knowledge (Religion) 8, Ride 5, UMD 5 - Turn undead, Sun domain, raven harrier (baffle)
    9th Ruby Knight Vindicator 1 +8 +9 +2 +9 Hide 4, Intimidate 4, Knowledge (Religion) 8, Ride 7, UMD 6 Greater Dragonmark (heal 1/day) -
    10th Ruby Knight Vindicator 2 +9 +9 +2 +10 Hide 4, Intimidate 4, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) ½, Knowledge (Religion) 8, Ride 9, UMD 6½ - Divine recovery
    11th Ruby Knight Vindicator 3 +10 +10 +3 +10 Hide 4, Intimidate 4, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) 1, Knowledge (Religion) 8, Ride 11, UMD 7 - -
    12th Ruby Knight Vindicator 4 +11 +10 +3 +11 Hide 4, Intimidate 4, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) 1½, Knowledge (Religion) 8, Ride 13, UMD 7½ Dragonmark Visionary (revivify 1/day) -
    13th Ruby Knight Vindicator 5 +12 +10 +3 +11 Hide 4, Intimidate 4, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) 2, Knowledge (Religion) 8, Ride 15, UMD 8 - Armored stealth
    14th Prestige Paladin 1 +13 +12 +3 +11 Hide 4, Intimidate 4, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) 2, Knowledge (Religion) 8, Ride 16, UMD 8½ - -
    15th Ruby Knight Vindicator 6 +14 +13 +4 +12 Concentration 1, Hide 4, Intimidate 4, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) 2, Knowledge (Religion) 8, Ride 18, UMD 9 Battle Blessing Detect evil, smite evil 1/day, turn undead
    16th Ruby Knight Vindicator 7 +15 +13 +4 +12 Concentration 3, Hide 4, Intimidate 4, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) 2, Knowledge (Religion) 8, Ride 19, UMD 9½ - Divine Impetus
    17th Prestige Paladin 2 +15 +14 +4 +12 Concentration 3, Hide 4, Intimidate 4, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) 2, Knowledge (Religion) 8, Ride 20, UMD 10 - Divine grace, lay on hands, special mount
    18th Ruby Knight Vindicator 8 +16 +14 +4 +13 Concentration 5, Hide 4, Intimidate 4, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) 2, Knowledge (Religion) 8, Ride 21, UMD 10½ Serenity Aura of courage, divine health
    19th Ruby Knight Vindicator 9 +17 +15 +5 +13 Concentration 7, Hide 4, Intimidate 4, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) 2, Knowledge (Religion) 8, Ride 22, UMD 11 - -
    20th Ruby Knight Vindicator 10 +18 +15 +5 +14 Concentration 10, Hide 4, Intimidate 4, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) 2, Knowledge (Religion) 8, Ride 23, UMD 11 - Divine Fury

HD: 16d8+3d10 (173 HP)

Flaws: Inattentive, Shaky
    Traits: Slow, Aggressive

Spells Retrieved
    Level 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    1 3 1 - - - - - - - -
    2 3 2 - - - - - - - -
    3 3 2 1 - - - - - - -
    4 3 3 1 - - - - - - -
    5 3 3 1 - - - - - - -
    6 3 3 1 - - - - - - -
    7 3 3 1 1 - - - - - -
    8 3 3 2 1 - - - - - -
    9 3 3 2 1 - - - - - -
    10 3 3 2 1 1 - - - - -
    11 3 3 2 2 1 - - - - -
    12 3 3 3 2 1 1 - - - -
    13 3 3 3 2 2 1 - - - -
    14 3 3 3 2 2 1 - - - -
    15 3 3 3 3 2 1 1 - - -
    16 3 3 3 3 2 2 1 - - -
    17 3 3 3 3 2 2 1 - - -
    18 3 3 3 3 3 2 1 1 - -
    18 3 3 3 3 3 2 2 1 - -
    18 3 3 3 3 3 3 2 1 1 -

Spells per Day
    Level 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    1 3 2 - - - - - - - -
    2 4 3 - - - - - - - -
    3 5 4 2 - - - - - - -
    4 5 4 2 - - - - - - -
    5 5 4 2 - - - - - - -
    6 6 5 3 - - - - - - -
    7 6 6 4 2 - - - - - -
    8 6 6 5 3 - - - - - -
    9 6 6 5 3 - - - - - -
    10 6 6 6 4 2 - - - - -
    11 6 6 6 5 3 - - - - -
    12 6 6 6 6 4 2 - - - -
    13 6 6 6 6 5 3 - - - -
    14 6 6 6 6 5 3 - - - -
    15 6 6 6 6 6 4 2 - - -
    16 6 6 6 6 6 5 3 - - -
    17 6 6 6 6 6 5 3 - - -
    18 6 6 6 6 6 6 4 2 - -
    19 6 6 6 6 6 6 5 3 - -
    20 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 4 2 -

Maneuvers/Stances Known
    Level IL Devoted Spirit Shadow Hand Stone Dragon White Raven
    1 ½ - - - -
    2 1 - - - -
    3 - - - -
    4 2 - - - -
    5 3 Crusader's Strike, Iron Guard's Glare, Vanguard Strike - Mountain Hammer Douse tde Flames, Leading the Attack
    6 Crusader's Strike, Iron Guard's Glare, Vanguard Strike - Mountain Hammer Douse the Flames, Leading the Attack
    7 4 Crusader's Strike, Iron Guard's Glare, Vanguard Strike - Mountain Hammer Douse the Flames, Leading the Attack
    8 Crusader's Strike, Iron Guard's Glare, Vanguard Strike - Mountain Hammer Douse the Flames, Leading the Attack
    9 Crusader's Strike, Iron Guard's Glare, Vanguard Strike Island of Blades Mountain Hammer Douse the Flames, Leading the Attack
    10 Crusader's Strike, Iron Guard's Glare, Vanguard Strike Island of Blades Mountain Hammer Douse the Flames, Leading the Attack, White Raven Tactics
    11 Crusader's Strike, Iron Guard's Glare, Vanguard Strike Island of Blades Mountain Hammer Douse the Flames, Leading the Attack, White Raven Tactics
    12 Crusader's Strike, Iron Guard's Glare, Vanguard Strike Hand of Death, Island of Blades Mountain Hammer Douse the Flames, Leading the Attack, White Raven Tactics
    13 Crusader's Strike, Iron Guard's Glare, Vanguard Strike Hand of Death, Island of Blades Mountain Hammer Douse the Flames, Leading the Attack, White Raven Tactics
    14 10 Crusader's Strike, Iron Guard's Glare, Vanguard Strike Bloodletting Strike, Hand of Death, Island of Blades Mountain Hammer Douse the Flames, Leading the Attack, White Raven Tactics
    15 11 Aura of Perfect Order, Crusader's Strike, Iron Guard's Glare, Vanguard Strike Bloodletting Strike, Hand of Death, Island of Blades Mountain Hammer Douse the Flames, Leading the Attack, White Raven Tactics
    16 12 Aura of Perfect Order, Crusader's Strike, Iron Guard's Glare, Vanguard Strike Bloodletting Strike, Hand of Death, Island of Blades Mountain Hammer Douse the Flames, Leading the Attack, White Raven Tactics
    17 12½ Aura of Perfect Order, Crusader's Strike, Iron Guard's Glare, Vanguard Strike Bloodletting Strike, Hand of Death, Island of Blades Mountain Hammer Douse the Flames, Leading the Attack, White Raven Tactics
    18 13½ Aura of Perfect Order, Crusader's Strike, Iron Guard's Glare, Rallying Strike, Vanguard Strike Bloodletting Strike, Hand of Death, Island of Blades Mountain Hammer Douse the Flames, Leading the Attack, White Raven Tactics
    19 14½ Aura of Perfect Order, Crusader's Strike, Iron Guard's Glare, Rallying Strike, Vanguard Strike Bloodletting Strike, Hand of Death, Island of Blades Mountain Hammer Douse the Flames, Leading the Attack, White Raven Tactics
    20 15½ Aura of Perfect Order, Crusader's Strike, Iron Guard's Glare, Rallying Strike, Vanguard Strike Bloodletting Strike, Hand of Death, Island of Blades Mountain Hammer Douse the Flames, Leading the Attack, White Raven Hammer, White Raven Tactics

Raphaela's Career

Spoiler: Level 1
    Show
    The spirits Called her to service only years before, when she was bairly into puberty. They had drawn her in and changed her, filled her with the righteousness of the Spirit, and awakened the Mark of Healing within her. Upon her 25th nameday her guide informed her that she was ready and she left her studies to follow her path. Upon her hound she rode, calming vengeful spirits and healing the afflicted on the way

At level one, Raphaela plays as any other low-Charisma Spirit Shaman. She buffs herself with shillelagh or aspect of the wolf and goes to town with her riding dog. She also has the earliest access to lesser restoration possible through her Least Dragonmark.

A note regarding Wild Cohort: While riding dog is superior mechanically, a fastieth would be reams more appropriate to the character. Unfortunately it is not RAW available as a wild cohort until level 4.

Spoiler: Level 5
    Show
    As Raphaela's connection to the spirit-world rose, so did her faith in the power of the Sovereign Host. Though disdaining organized religion, she championed the Host's cause and in return was granted inspiration in her combat.

With her first level of Crusader, Raphaela becomes a much more capable mounted combatant. In addition to being able to boost her mount, the combination of Mounted Combat and iron guard's glare keeps her mount from being hit and her strikes give it even more power. She's also grown a bit more versatile with her buffs, and can make use of summon nature's ally n for a flanking partner if she so desires. She can also finally wear heavy armor to make up for her mediocre dexterity.

Spoiler: Level 10
    Show
    As her spiritual power grew, Raphaela was granted new gifts from the spirit world. One of the fiercest dinosaurs from the Talenta Plains bonded with her, and a small relative of a glidewing touched by the power of Syrania too judged her worthy of its companionship.

Now Raphaela's power is starting to grow more cohesive. She now has a fleshraker wild cohort and a celestial rhamphorhynchus (raven) as her harrier. While the DCs of the rhamphorhynchus's abilities are based on Raphaela's Charisma and so low (Will DC 10), natural 1s happen and there's little cost to it. it can also scout well, as it's able to talk. In addition, you get white raven tactics to give your fleshraker an extra full attack. If you can get a fleshraker with Martial Stance (assassin's stance)—probably through psychic reformation, though you might be able to just retrain him—you can also flank enemies while riding him.

She also have access to a cool trick. While she naturally has the Sun Domain,she can swap it out by using substitute domain. Since Raphaela worships the Sovereign Host, she has a massive array of domains to choose from:

• Air
    • Animal
    • Artifice
    • Charm
    • Chaos
    • Commerce
    • Community
    • Earth
    • Feast
    • Fire
    • Good
    • Healing
    • Knowledge
    • Law
    • Life
    • Luck
    • Magic
    • Protection
    • Plant
    • Strength
    • Travel
    • Sun
    • War
    • Weather

Some of these (Luck, Magic, and War; plus some of the others if the DM can be convinced to use Spirit Shaman, Knight of the Raven, or RKV level as your effective cleric level) are useful for their power, while others will just give you some new spell options.

Raphaela is also now an impressive healer. With a 1/day heal SLA (two levels before a cleric and four below a druid) she can make in-combat healing worth it and between encounters she can shadowbox with her fleshraker, using Crusader's Strike to heal.

Spoiler: Level 15
    Show
    Soon all of Khorvaire knew of the prowess and virtue of this halfling knight. The powers of Good themselves conspired with the spirits to grant Raphaela yet more powers, and she grew adept at using these with extraordinary quickness. So too did her dragonmark bloom, giving her the ability to heal even those whose spirits had left their body.

Raphaela now adds paladin spells to her list and casts all of them as swift actions. In addition to a number of exceptional buffs, she gets revenance, which allows her to use her dragonmark revivify SLA a full minute after a companion dies. Also, since protection from evil is on the paladin list she doesn't need Gatekeeper Initiate to qualify for Prestige Paladin any more and retrains it to Power Attack.

She's also gained impressive battle prowess. Her Shadow Hand maneuvers give her the abillity to inflict status conditions on her enemies on her enemies (and with her high Wisdom the DCs will actually be respectable), and Aura of Perfect Order lets her take 11 on anything.

Spoiler: Level 20
    Show
    Rising to the status of legend, Raphaela's faith was rewarded yet more, with the ability to near break time and astounding martial prowess.

Finally reaching the 7th level of Ruby Knight Vindicator and, through Serenity, using her Wisdom modifier to determine Turn Undead uses, Raphaela can turn out an exceptional number of buffs for herself and her allies at the beginning of battle. She also gains her Wisdom modifier to saves, 8th-level spells, and Rallying Strike and White Raven Hammer to further cement her role as a tough combatant.

Spoiler: Analysis and Sources
    Show
    Raphaela plays well from 1st to 20th. While in the early levels with low Dexterity and only light armor she is fragile, she can make up for it with various buffs. Normally it's difficult for anyone but Clerics to enter Prestige Paladin since they need the ability to cast a divine protection from evil and Turn Undead. Knight of the Raven takes care of Turn Undead and Gatekeeper Initiate adds protection from evil to her list. Once she enters Prestige Paladin (which also adds protection from evil to her list) she can retrain or DCFS Gatekeeper Initiate to Power Attack. An alternative is to use the ability to swap out the Sun domain to get the Good domain and thereby [i]protection from evil[/]. This would allow Power Attack to be taken at level 1, but whether a temporary ability to cast protection from evil may not work and so is not shown above.

In general, Raphaela is most competent when she has at least one other melee companion. Because she can retrieve relatively few spells, it is best if she be able to use each one frequently. Also, a number of her stances and strikes are significantly enhanced by having an ally nearby.

The two animals Raphael gains as allies are significant resources. Ideally one would like to control what feats they have, either through normal progression, psychic reformation or DCFS. Her ramphorynchus is likely not going to be a significant combatant, but with Intelligence of 3 it should be able to take most feats. Shape Soulmeld is a definite possibility. Her mount (most likely a fleshraker, though in uncramped areas a bloodstriker might be better) would particularly benefit from Martial Study and Martial Stance to get Sneak Attack, though merely "normal" feats like Power Attack would greatly improve its abilities.

Sources
    • Complete Champion: Battle Blessing, substitute domain.
    • Complete Divine: Spirit Shaman.
    • Dragon Compendium: Serenity.
    • Dragonmarked: Dragonmark Visionary.
    • Eberron Campaign Setting: Gatekeeper Initiate, Least Dragonmark, Lesser Dragonmark, Greather Dragonmark.
    • Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: Knight of the Raven.
    • Spell Compendium: revivify, revenance.
    • Tome of Battle: Crusader, Ruby Knight Vindicator, Maneuvers.
    • Unearthed Arcana: Flaws, Traits, Prestige Paladin, Water Halfling.

21. - Top - End - #111

WolfInSheepsClothing

Though I'm sure, as is the way of these things, that there are those who call him....Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy the Savior
    Healer 4, Crusader 1, Combat Medic 5, Knight of the Raven 3, Ruby Knight 7

Str 9, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 15

Post Level Adjustments
    Str 10, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 19, Cha 16

Timothy the Savior
    Spoiler
    Show
    Code:
    Timothy the Savior

1st Healer 1 +0 +2 +0 +2 Concentration 4, Diplomacy 4, Heal 4, Hide 2 Ranks, Intimidate 2 Ranks, Knowledge (Religion) 4, Spellcraft 4 Dodge, Able Learner Healing Hands
    2nd Healer 2 +1 +3 +0 +3 Concentration +1, Heal +1, Knowledge: Religion +1, Profession: Healer +3 Skill Focus: Heal New Feats
    3rd Healer 3 +1 +3 +1 +3 Concentration +1, Heal +1, Hide +1, Intimidate +1, Knowledge: Religion +1, Profession: Healer +1 Conbat Casting Cleanse Paralysis
    4th Healer 4 +2 +4 +1 +4 Concentration +1, Diplomacy +3, Heal +1, Knowledge: Religion +1 None Cleanse Disease
    5th Crusader 1 +3 +6 +1 +4 Concentration +1, Diplomacy +1, Heal +1, Hide +1, Intimidate +1, Knowledge: Religion +1 None Furious Counterstrike, Steely Resolve 5
    6th Combat Medic 1 +3 +6 +3 +4 Open Extra Granted Maneuver Healing Kicker (Sanctuary)
    7th Combat Medic 2 +4 +6 +4 +4 Open New Feats Defensive Casting, Field Healer
    8th Combat Medic 3 +4 +7 +4 +5 Open Mobility Healing Kicker (Reflex Saves)
    9th Combat Medic 4 +5 +7 +5 +5 Open Quicken Spell Evasion
    10th Combat Medic 5 +5 +7 +5 +5 Open None Healing Kicker (Aid)
    11th Knight of the Raven 1 +6 +9 +5 +7 Open None Raven Harrier (Harry), Speak With Ravens
    12th Knight of the Raven 2 +7 +10 +5 +8 Open Divine Metamagic: Quicken Smite Undead 1/day
    13th Knight of the Raven 3 +8 +10 +6 +8 Open None Turn Undead, Sun Domain, Raven Harrier (baffle)
    14th Ruby Knight Vindicator 1 +9 +10 +6 +10 Open None None
    15th Ruby Knight Vindicator 2 +10 +10 +6 +11 Open Extra Turning Divine Recovery
    16th Ruby Knight Vindicator 3 +11 +11 +7 +11 Open None None
    17th Ruby Knight Vindicator 4 +12 +11 +7 +12 Open None None
    18th Ruby Knight Vindicator 5 +13 +11 +7 +12 Open Practiced Spellcaster Armored Stealth
    19th Ruby Knight Vindicator 6 +14 +12 +8 +13 Open None None
    20th Ruby Knight Vindicator 7 +15 +12 +8 +13 Open None Divine Impetus

Spells Per Day
    0: 6
    1: 6
    2: 6
    3: 6
    4: 6
    5: 5
    6: 5
    7: 4
    8: 4
    9: X

Gear and Items:
    Timothy could benefit from Wisdom and Charisma boosting items, obviously, but none of them are strictly necessary. Honestly, I designed him as a fairly self-sufficient individual as far as magical items are concerned. Anything would be a benefit (Nightsticks, even), but he can operate well without them quite reasonably.

History and Fluff
    Timothy began his life as a simple man, living his life as an assistant to the towns healer and managing to help out whenever someone was injured and needed immediate assistance. Then, one dark and forbidding night, his town was sacked and Timothy realized he couldn’t prevent all of the worlds atrocities by simply healing the physical pain.

He trekked to a nearby city and during his march picked up a few tricks of martial combat from one of the caravan guards. After he arrived at the city he enlisted into their army as a medic, and honed his craft, excelling in the healing arts due to his younger life.

Years passed, and Timothy had survived many harrowing ordeals. He also assisted scores of other adventurers in surviving their own trials. His experience as a combat medic provided an excellent (and originally unintentional) boost in combatting the undead and he eventually made that his profession full time.

He joined the Knights of the Raven and set about delivering justice to the unwilling undead and those that created them, with a practically finite amount of healing ability to support himself and martial prowess enough to stand against the evil clergy that created them.

Level 5:
    You’re a healer. Granted, you can heal quite often, and when deep into combat, you shouldn’t rely too much on your Crusader capabilities this early. Granted, with a few carefully chosen strikes you can ignore DR, heal your allies outside of spellcasting, and provide them benefits while in melee.

Level 10:
    Full on combat medic. Tossing out high DC Sanctuary kickers onto your healing spells helps you keep allies alive and outside of immediate threat while you’re still casting 5th level spells and rushing into and out of combat. You’re fairly sturdy without additional spell backings, and can cast a few low level Quickened spells for when you don’t want to go big with the typically 5th level spells.

Level 15:
    Quickened Heals spell doom for Undead opponents, and with your enhanced Strikes and Stances from Ruby Knight starting to provide tangible benefits (You have 5th level strikes at this point, after all) you can unleash a variety of powerful combat abilities when pacifism fails you. The sweet spot comes in here, when you’re burning spells to recover maneuvers and tossing around Heals whenever you want.

Level 20:
    Ruby Knight helps you build on top of an already hardy base and makes you fairly invulnerable at this point. With excellent saves, a nearly bottomless well of healing at your disposal (including spontaneously cast Heals for 212 hit points each up to 13 times per day), and 7th level strikes at your disposal you have a variety of techniques you can bring to bear in your divine fight against the unlawfully created undead.

22. - Top - End - #112

WolfInSheepsClothing

I wash my hands of your...Demolition!

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Cleansedhand
    Evan Cleansedhand
    LG Human Crusader 2/Monk 1/Swordsage 2/Warblade 2/Death Delver 1/Apostle of Peace 1/Ruby Knight Vindicator 10/Contemplative 1

The Preacher
    Spoiler
    Show

Ability Scores
    Spoiler
    Show
    Level Str Dex Con Int Wis Cha
    1st 14 10 14 8 17 13
    4th 14 10 14 8 18 13
    7th 14 10 14 8 20 13
    8th 14 10 14 8 20 14
    11th 16 10 14 8 22 14
    12th 16 10 14 8 23 14
    15th 18 10 14 8 25 16
    16th 18 10 14 8 26 16
    19th 20 10 16 8 28 18
    20th 20 10 16 8 29 18

The Build
    Spoiler
    Show

1st Monk 1 +0 +2 +2 +2 Hide 4, Concentration 4, Diplomacy 4, Knowledge (Religion) 4 Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty (Human), Improved Unarmed Strike (Monk), Stunning Fist (Monk) Unarmed Strike, AC Bonus
    2nd Crusader 1 +1 +4 +2 +2 Hide 4, Concentration 5, Diplomacy 5, Knowledge (Religion) 5, Intimidate 1 Intuitive Attack (Vow of Poverty) Furious Counterstrike, Steely Resolve 5
    3rd Crusader 2 +2 +5 +2 +2 Hide 4, Concentration 6, Diplomacy 6, Knowledge (Religion) 6, Intimidate 2 Extend Spell Indomitable Soul
    4th Swordsage 1 +2 +5 +4 +4 Hide 4, Concentration 7, Diplomacy 6, Knowledge (Religion) 7, Intimidate 2, Sense Motive 1, Heal 2 Vow of Nonviolence (Vow of Poverty) Quick to Act +1, Weapon Focus (Tiger Claw)
    5th Warblade 1 +3 +7 +4 +4 Hide 4, Concentration 8, Diplomacy 7, Knowledge (Religion) 7, Intimidate 4, Sense Motive 1, Heal 2 - Battle Clarity (Reflex Saves), Weapon Aptitude
    6th Death Delver 1 +3 +9 +4 +6 Hide 4, Concentration 9, Diplomacy 7, Knowledge (Religion) 8, Intimidate 4, Sense Motive 1, Heal 2 Extra Turning, Vow of Peace (Vow of Poverty) Deathsense, Rebuke Undead
    7th Ruby Knight Vindicator 1 +4 +9 +4 +8 Hide 4, Concentration 10, Diplomacy 7, Knowledge (Religion) 8, Intimidate 4, Sense Motive 4, Heal 2 - -
    8th Apostle of Peace 1 +4 +11 +6 +10 Hide 4, Concentration 11, Diplomacy 7, Knowledge (Religion) 8, Intimidate 4, Sense Motive 7, Heal 2 Subduing Strike (Vow of Poverty) Turn Undead
    9th Ruby Knight Vindicator 2 +5 +11 +6 +11 Hide 4, Concentration 12, Diplomacy 7, Knowledge (Religion) 8, Intimidate 4, Sense Motive 10, Heal 2 Persistent Spell Sudden Recovery
    10th Ruby Knight Vindicator 3 +6 +12 +7 +11 Hide 4, Concentration 12, Diplomacy 7, Knowledge (Religion) 13, Intimidate 4, Sense Motive 10, Heal 2 Nymph’s Kiss (Vow of Poverty) -
    11th Contemplative 1 +6 +12 +7 +13 Hide 4, Concentration 14, Diplomacy 7, Knowledge (Religion) 13, Intimidate 4, Sense Motive 11, Heal 2 - Bonus Domain (Magic)
    12th Ruby Knight Vindicator 4 +7 +12 +7 +14 Hide 4, Concentration 15, Diplomacy 7, Knowledge (Religion) 13, Intimidate 4, Sense Motive 15, Heal 2 Divine Metamagic (Persist), Nimbus of Light (Vow of Poverty) -
    13th Ruby Knight Vindicator 5 +8 +12 +7 +14 Hide 4, Concentration 16, Diplomacy 8, Knowledge (Religion) 14, Intimidate 5, Sense Motive 16, Heal 2 - Armored Stealth
    14th Ruby Knight Vindicator 6 +9 +13 +8 +15 Hide 4, Concentration 17, Diplomacy 10, Knowledge (Religion) 15, Intimidate 5, Sense Motive 17, Heal 2 Knight of the Red Falcon (Vow of Poverty) -
    15th Ruby Knight Vindicator 7 +10 +13 +8 +15 Hide 4, Concentration 18, Diplomacy 13, Knowledge (Religion) 15, Intimidate 5, Sense Motive 18, Heal 2 Martial Study (Scorpion’s Parry) Divine Impetus
    16th Ruby Knight Vindicator 8 +11 +13 +8 +16 Hide 4, Concentration 19, Diplomacy 16, Knowledge (Religion) 15, Intimidate 5, Sense Motive 19, Heal 2 Gift of Faith (Vow of Poverty) -
    17th Ruby Knight Vindicator 9 +12 +14 +9 +16 Hide 4, Concentration 20, Diplomacy 19, Knowledge (Religion) 15, Intimidate 5, Sense Motive 20, Heal 2 - Divine Fury
    18th Ruby Knight Vindicator 10 +13 +14 +9 +17 Hide 4, Concentration 21, Diplomacy 21, Knowledge (Religion) 16, Intimidate 5, Sense Motive 21, Heal 2 Martial Study (Fool’s Strike), Knight of Stars (Vow of Poverty) -
    20th Swordsage 2 +14 +14 +10 +18 Hide 4, Concentration 23, Diplomacy 23, Knowledge (Religion) 16, Intimidate 11, Sense Motive 23, Heal 2 - AC Bonus

Spells
    Spoiler
    Show

8th 4 2 - - - - - - - -
    9th 5 3 0 - - - - - - -
    10th 5 3 1 0 - - - - - -
    11th 6 3 2 1 0 - - - - -
    12th 6 3 3 2 1 0 - - - -
    13th 6 3 3 3 2 1 0 - - -
    14th 6 3 3 3 2 1 0 - - -
    15th 6 4 3 3 3 2 1 0 - -
    16th 6 4 4 3 3 3 2 1 0 -
    17th 6 5 4 4 4 4 3 2 1 0
    18th 6 5 5 4 4 4 4 3 2 1
    *Table shows Apostle of Peace spells/day and does not take bonus spells into account. Death Delver gets only the bonus first level spells from a high Wis score.

Maneuvers
    Spoiler
    Show
    Level Initiator Level Maneuvers Readied New Maneuvers Known New Stances Known
    2nd 1 5(2) Leading the Attack, Vanguard Strike, Crusader’s Strike, Douse the Flames, Charging Minotaur Leading the Charge
    3rd 2 5(2) - Iron Guard’s Glare
    4th 3 4+5(2) Rabid Wolf Strike, Counter Charge, Baffling Defense, Shadow Jaunt, Cloak of Deception, Mighty Throw Island of Blades
    5th 4 3+4+5(2) Emerald Razor, Action Before Thought, Sapphire Nightmare Blade Punishing Stance
    6th 5 3+4+5(2) - -
    7th 6 3+4+5(2) - Wolf Pack Tactics
    8th 6 3+4+5(2) - -
    9th 7 3+4+5(2) White Raven Tactics -
    10th 8 3+4+5(2) - -
    11th 9 3+4+5(2) - -
    12th 10 3+4+5(2) Divine Surge -
    13th 11 4+4+5(2) - -
    14th 12 4+4+5(2) Order Forged From Chaos, Scorpion’s Parry Aura of Perfect Order
    15th 13 4+4+5(2) - -
    16th 14 4+4+5(2) Swarming Assault -
    17th 15 5+4+5(2) - -
    18th 16 5+4+5(2) White Raven Hammer, Fool’s Strike -
    19th 17 5+4+5(2) War Master’s Charge Stance of Alacrity
    20th 18 5+4+5(2) Time Stands Still Ghostly Defense

The Sermons
    Spoiler
    Show
    Level 5:
    Spoiler
    Show
    “Let me ask ya a question, brothers and sisters. Do you have a moment to tauk about Wee Jas?

AH SAY, DO YOU HAVE A MOUMANT TA TAUK ABOUT WEE JAS?!

Tha Ruby Sorceress teaches us tha secrets of life and death. Through her, all mannah of miracles are paussible. Can ah get an amen?
    AH SAY, CAN AH GET AN AMEN?!”

No use sugarcoating it, the build starts off a little slow. You’re basically a VoP mundane, going towards Vow of Peace and Vow of Nonviolence, which is not really a good thing to be. Still, it’s not quite as bad for ToB types or at early levels. You’ve got some maneuvers and a pretty high save on Stunning Fist. Try to make the best of it.

Level 10:
    Spoiler
    Show
    “For ah have been brought loooowwww by tha forces of darkness. Ah have faced tha looming spectah of death, and been returned ta life by Wee Jas’s mercy. Ah saw her face appear before mah dying eyes, but she said that it was naut yet mah time. And lo, ah was born again by her graceh! I returned from death to serve Wee Jas in this life and ta preach her gauspel.”

Apostle of Peace? In my Ruby Knight Vindicator? It’s more likely than you think, apparently. After some final rough levels, the build finally starts to come together. We’ve entered the SI and gotten to Sudden Recovery, with a rebuke pool from Death Delver and a turning pool from Apostle of Peace (both of which get +4 from Extra Turning) to fuel it. Apostle of Peace can also cast cure spells spontaneously, just like a Cleric, which you’ll actually have to do on occasion, since VoP means no wand of CLW. Apostle of Peace casting is just starting to get going at this point though, so more on that later. Also, as you’ve now got the necessary feat to do it non-lethally, and VoP adds its weapon enhancement bonuses to anything you attack with, grab a longspear as the one simple weapon you’re allowed to carry, so that you can threaten out to 10ft between that and your unarmed strike. Manuever-wise, you’ve got a number of decent strikes, and some good counters to shore up your reflex save and shut down anyone who resists your aura of good vibes and takes a swing at you. Also, White Raven Tactics, which, when combined with Divine Recovery, means that even at your most useless you’re still giving extra turns to the party member who can contribute meaningfully.

Level 15:
    Spoiler
    Show
    “Would you like to comment on the recent sex scandal that you’ve become embroiled in – the allegations that you’ve been engaging in an affair with a fey of the Seelie court?”

“Yes ah would! Is Wee Jas not a goddess of love and beauty as well as justice? Does she not consort with the chaotic Norebo?! This so-called scandal is nothing moah than an attempt to slandah me, and I shall not stand for it! The powah that Wee Jas has blessed me with should be the only evidence ah need of her approval! Good day sih! Do you heah me? Ah say good day!”

Now we’re getting somewhere. We’re up to 7th level spells through Apostle of Peace, and getting up there with maneuvers as well. The best thing about Apostle of Peace’s spell list is minionmancy and buffing, so we’re going to kick that up a notch by focusing on White Raven. Order Forged From Chaos deserves a special mention for its ability to move not just you, but your entire army of Planar Allies (and the rest of your party too, I guess) as a move action. We can also prepare a Magic Domain spell in one slot of each spell level (per the rules for gaining domains on page 20 of Complete Divine). Ask your DM how Imbue With Spell Ability works for a non-Cleric caster. My interpretation is that spells cast from Apostle of Peace slots aren’t Cleric spells, so it doesn’t work for you, but if it does, it could be a nice boon for your action economy, and might even make some in combat healing (albeit performed through a surrogate) viable. Taking Martial Study for Scorpion’s Parry means that if you find yourself fighting enemies on two sides, you can make one of them hit the other instead of you as an immediate action. You also have Divine Impetus now, meaning that even if you burned your swift by using an immediate action on a counter, you can trade your standard action for a swift one if you really need to change stances or recover a maneuver. You also have some capacity for Persistomancy, but keep some turn/rebuke attempts saved for RKV’s abilities.

Level 20:
    Spoiler
    Show
    “Behold! See the glory of Wee Jas that shines through me! Through my understanding of tha secrets of life and death that she teaches, I can heal tha sick and punish tha wicked. Though mah own hands deal no death and ah mourn tha loss of every life, still I may ensure that the sinnahs who take up arms against the Jasidian faith face the Stern Lady’s judgment! But you of strong moral charachtah need not fear that punishment from me. Come, let me lay my hands upon you, heal youah injuries, and cast away the evil that plagues you. DEMONS BE GONE!”

At 16th level, you get Swarm Tactics. Combine with Order Forged From Chaos, and you can use your move and standard actions to surround an enemy with your army of minions, smack them, and give each and every one of your minions a shot at them too. At 17th level you hit 9th level spells, which include Gate, Miracle, and Disjunction through the Magic Domain. At 18th level you pick up Fool’s Strike through Martial Study, allowing you another way to make your enemies attacks against you backfire instead of just fail. At 19th level, we kick things into overdrive with War Master’s Charge and Stance of Alacrity allowing us to bring the army of pet outsiders down on the enemy harder and faster, and giving an extra counter per round when they try swinging back. 20th level gives us Time Stands Still, which makes Divine Fury much more potent. Those full attacks unfortunately only have 3 iteratives, possibly with the addition of flurry, unless you use fractional BAB, but even so, it’s pretty respectable. All in all, Evan is pretty damn lethal for someone who can’t deal lethal damage to living creatures.

Interpreting the Scriptures
    Spoiler
    Show
    Obeying Your Vows
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vow of Nonviolence and Vow of Peace are somewhat notorious for being headaches. This build attempts to circumvent those headaches where possible, obeying the letter of the law for the vows while still doling out justice for the Witch Goddess. You can’t deal non-lethal damage, but your party members and summoned allies are under no such restriction until the enemy becomes helpless, and so you use White Raven Tactics, Swarming Assault, and War Master’s Charge to give them more lethal attacks, in hopes that one of those attacks will knock the enemy from “up and fighting” to “dead and facing judgment” without stopping at the point in between where you have to stabilize and take them prisoner. You can also force your enemies to deal lethal damage to themselves and each other through Scorpion’s Parry, Fool’s Strike, and Ghostly Defense.

If you do have to take someone prisoner, then hand them over to a summoned minion, make the minion swear an oath not to kill them, and have the minion take them to the proper authorities. One of three things will happen. 1) The minion or the authorities, being servants of Wee Jas will get the directive from the higher authority of a goddess of death to snuff the enemy anyway, someone other than you or your party will spend a day taking a few minor penalties that don’t affect you in any way. 2) The prisoner will rot in a dungeon for a while, and you will spend minimal resources sending them there.

Some people interpret the clause in Apostle of Peace about being able to use defensive items as a relaxation of VoP’s prohibition on magic items. I personally do not see it that way, but if your DM does, you might be better off making your first level Crusader instead of Monk and getting Improved Unarmed Strike from Unarmed Swordsage instead (which works, as Unarmed Swordsage takes the Unarmed Strike feature from the Monk whole cloth, which includes IUS as a bonus feat), and then wearing a Monk’s belt to get Wis to AC. You might also be able to get away with all manner of items under the pretext of defense. Nightsticks come to mind.

Adding Cheese
    Spoiler
    Show
    You have access to Wish via the SLAs of Gated Solars. Among many other things, this should mean inherent bonuses to your ability scores. The only reason this is here and not just added on to the stat table is that it costs some exp. I don’t want to directly assume that I’ll get more exp than my fellow competitors, at least not beyond what I already need to replace expensive material components with VoP, but exp is a river, as they say, so it’s probably not that big an issue in practice.

You also have native access to the Dark Chaos Shuffle via Miracle, Solar Wishes, or Solar Cleric casting if the DM is nice and sends you one that’s properly prepared. At any rate, if your DM lets you do the Chaos Shuffle, do so, as you run out of worthwhile VoP feats about halfway into the build. By level 20 there are six or seven Exalted Feats that aren’t doing a lot for you. Trading those out would let you snag another Martial Study for Strike of Righteous Vitality to boost the healing theme of the competition, DMM Extend, and a few more Extra Turnings, meaning you can run around with Extended Persisted buffs, doubling the number you can have up by alternating them between days, and still have plenty of turn attempts to fuel the RKV abilities. You could actually get rid of all your exalted feats save for Intuitive Attack this way if you wanted, since you don’t lose the Apostle of Peace class abilities from no longer qualifying, but that’s not really in the spirit of the build. I’d be inclined to leave the various vows alone.

The Good Books
    Spoiler
    Show
    Book of Exalted Deeds: Apostle of Peace, all the Exalted Feats
    Complete Arcane: Persistent Spell
    Complete Divine: Contemplative, Divine Metamagic
    Heroes of Horror: Death Delver
    Tome of Battle: Crusader, Ruby Knight Vindicator, Swordsage, Warblade, Maneuvers, Martial Study, Martial Stance
    Everything else should be in the SRD

The fluff of this build is not intended to suggest anything about leaders in any real world religion, except perhaps that such leaders make for entertaining characters, which they would likely agree is part of the point.

23. - Top - End - #113

WolfInSheepsClothing

Utinam me facit istorum est Latine sciebant.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Margrave
    Background
    Spoiler
    Show
    Educis a morte. Custodi animam.

Mr. Margrave has always been a warrior for his goddess, though his faith was strengthened ever since his brush with death early in his career. He was a on the front lines defending a Jasinian temple against a heretical cult bent on preaching their blasphemous dogma. The fighting was intense, and he engaged in a fighting retreat all the way into the inner sanctum of the temple, where at last a cultists blade felled him. Had another unit of defenders not fortuitously taken a shortcut through the sanctum on their way to defend another section of the temple, his brief service would have ended there. Instead, he lay at the heart of a temple to his goddess, his life ebbing away, and found himself not afraid, but fascinated. He was dragged to safety and brought back from the brink of death, but what he had seen had changed him, and he was closer to his goddess as a result.

His fascination with the ebb and flow of life eventually led to him leaving his military duties behind temporarily to go on a pilgrimage in search of a deeper understanding of death. His journeys brought him to battlefields, healers communities, and to more than one necromancer. When he returned to his temple, his insights had gifted him with some small measure of divine power. His newfound talents coupled with his martial training made him an ideal candidate for induction into the Ruby Knights, and he took to the training with zeal.

And now, as a full member of the order, Mr. Margrave is a terrifying instrument of Wee Jas' divine will. He is adept at stalking through the shadows to slip in and smite selective targets, being an engine of unstoppable destruction on a battlefield, raising an army of undead soldiers, or even tending to wounds of the fallen.

He is a bringer of death, and a keeper of life.

Build
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mr. Margrave
    LN Human Crusader 8/Death Delver 2/Ruby Knight Vindicator 10

Starting Stats: Str 14, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 14
    Final Stats: Str 19, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 14
    Stat increases go to Str.

1st Crusader 1 +1 +2 +0 +0 Balance 2, Concentration 4, Heal 2, Hide 2, Intimidate 4, K:Religion 4, Move Silently 2, Tumble 4 Power Attack, Able Learner Furious Counterstrike, Steely Resolve 5
    2nd Crusader 1 +2 +3 +0 +0 Balance 4, Concentration 5, Intimidate 5, K:Religion 5, Tumble 5 Indomitable Soul
    3rd Crusader 3 +3 +3 +1 +1 Concentration 6, Hide 3, Intimidate 6, K:Religion 6, Move Silently 3, Tumble 6 Magic Devotion Zealous Surge
    4th Crusader 4 +4 +4 +1 +1 Balance 5, Concentration 7, Heal 3, Intimidate 7, K:Religion 7, Tumble 7 Steely Resolve 10
    5th Crusader 5 +5 +4 +1 +1 Concentration 8, Hide 4, Intimidate 8, K:Religion 8, Move Silently 4, Tumble 8
    6th Crusader 6 +6 +5 +2 +2 Concentration 9, Heal 4, Intimidate 9, Tumble 9, Never Outnumbered Adaptive Style Smite 1/day
    7th Death Delver 1 +6 +7 +2 +4 Concentration 10, Hide 5, K:Religion 9, Move Silently 5 Deathsense, Rebuke Undead, Spellcasting
    8th Death Delver 2 +7 +8 +2 +5 Concentration 11, Intimidate 10, K:Religion 10, Tumble 10 Deadened Soul, Spontaneous Casting
    9th Ruby Knight Vindicator 1 +8 +8 +2 +7 Concentration 12, Hide 7, K:Religion 11, Move Silently 6, Tumble 11 Extra Turning
    10th Ruby Knight Vindicator 2 +9 +8 +2 +8 Concentration 13, Hide 10, K:Religion 12, Tumble 12 Divine Recovery, +1 Level Divine Spellcasting Class
    11th Ruby Knight Vindicator 3 +10 +9 +3 +8 Concentration 14, Hide 12, K:Religion 13, Move Silently 7, Tumble 13 +1 Level Divine Spellcasting Class
    12th Ruby Knight Vindicator 4 +11 +9 +3 +9 Concentration 15, Hide 15, K:Religion 14, Tumble 15 Touch of Healing +1 Level Divine Spellcasting Class
    13th Ruby Knight Vindicator 5 +12 +9 +3 +9 Concentration 16, Hide 16, Intimidate 11, K:Religion 15, Move Silently 8, Tumble 16 Armored Stealth, +1 Level Divine Spellcasting Class
    14th Ruby Knight Vindicator 6 +13 +10 +4 +10 Concentration 17, Hide 17, Intimidate 13, K:Religion 16, Tumble 17
    15th Ruby Knight Vindicator 7 +14 +10 +4 +10 Concentration 18, Hide 18, Intimidate 14, K:Religion 17, Move Silently 9, Tumble 18 Augment Healing Divine Impetus, +1 Level Divine Spellcasting Class
    16th Ruby Knight Vindicator 8 +15 +10 +4 +11 Concentration 19, Hide 19, Intimidate 16, K:Religion 18, Tumble 19 +1 Level Divine Spellcasting Class
    17th Ruby Knight Vindicator 9 +16 +11 +5 +11 Concentration 20, Hide 20, Intimidate 17, K:Religion 19, Move Silently 10, Tumble 20 Divine Fury, +1 Level Divine Spellcasting Class
    18th Ruby Knight Vindicator 10 +17 +11 +5 +12 Concentration 21, Hide 21, Intimidate 19, K:Religion 20, Tumble 21 Darkstalker +1 Level Divine Spellcasting Class
    19th Crusader 7 +18 +11 +5 +12 Concentration 22, Hide 22, Intimidate 20, K:Religion 21, Move Silently 11, Tumble 22
    20th Crusader 8 +19 +12 +5 +12 Concentration 23, Hide 23, Intimidate 22, K:Religion 22, Tumble 23 Steely Resolve 15

Spell List
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spells marked with an asterisk(*) are Conjuration(Healing) spells.
    1st:
    Bless, Cause Fear, Detect Poison, Detect Undead, Hide From Undead, Lesser Restoration*, Remove Fear
    2nd:
    Bear's Endurance, Bull's Strength, Command Undead, Delay Poison*, Remove Paralysis*, Resist Energy, Rigor Mortis
    3rd:
    Animate Dead, Deep Slumber, Halt Undead, Protection From Energy, Remove Blindness/Deafness*, Remove Disease*, Speak With Dead
    4th:
    Break Enchantment, Death Ward, Enervation, Fear, Freedom of Movement, Neutralize Poison*, Restoration*

Maneuvers/Stances Known
    Spoiler
    Show

Maneuvers/Stances Known:
    Level Initiator Level Maneuvers Known Stances Known Maneuvers
    1 1 5 1 Crusader's Strike, Douse the Flames, Leading the Attack, Stone Bones, Vanguard's Strike, Martial Spirit Stance
    2 2 5 2 Iron Guard's Glare Stance
    3 3 6 2 Battle Leader's Charge
    4 4 6 2
    5 5 7 2 Revitalizing Strike
    6 6 7 2
    7 6 7 2
    8 7 7 2
    9 8 7 3 Island of Blades Stance
    10 9 8 3 Cloak of Deception
    11 10 8 3
    12 11 9 3 Bloodletting Strike
    13 12 9 3
    14 13 10 4 Shadow Blink, Assassin's Stance
    15 14 10 4
    16 15 11 4 Castigating Strike
    17 16 11 4
    18 17 12 4 Five-Shadow Creeping Ice Enervation Strike
    19 18 13 4 Strike of Righteous Vitality
    20 19 13 5 Immortal Fortitude Stance

Tactics
    Spoiler
    Show

In General

Mr. Margrave walks the line between the realms of the dead and the realms of the living. He is just as skilled at dealing death as he is preserving life. He has an array of impressive healing abilities, and numerous devastating attacks. He is at home on the front lines taking the fight to the enemies of Wee Jas, or sneaking through the shadows to assassinate her detractors. He picks up a falchion and dons some platemail and goes to town on his enemies.

Level 5

Margrave plays much like any other Crusader at this level, with a couple of notable exceptions. The first is that he has a few useful mobility skills (Balance and Tumble) as well as decent stealth capability. The second is his Magic Devotion feat. It's a handy little 1/day ranged option at this point, and nicely fits the idea that he is a warrior who has dedicated himself to a Goddess of Magic.

Level 10

Margrave's stealth ability at this point has gotten a huge boost. He's gotten much better at hiding (thanks to it now being a class skill), and now has the Cloak of Deception maneuver from the Shadow Hand school thanks to his Ruby Knight Vindicator levels. But that's just the tip of the iceberg. His Death Delver levels represent his deeper understanding of his Goddess's connection to death, and he is able to tap into some of her divine power to control undead, protect others from the undead, sense the ebb and flow of life in others, and channel divine power into healing the wounds of the living. He can also swap his readied maneuvers in an instant, as well as recover them with holy power. The Extra Turning feat provides ample turn attempts to power his abilities, and a reasonable surplus to use with Magic Devotion should he need to use that ranged option more frequently. The Never Outnumbered skill trick gives him a nice alternative to slaying his opponents.

Note: Margrave's spell list might look rather anemic, but he's got almost every Conjuration(Healing) spell you could want: Lesser Restoration, Delay Poison, Remove Paralysis, Remove Blindness/Deafness, Remove Disease, Neutralize Poison, and Restoration. In addition, his second level of Death Delver lets him spontaneously cast cure spells. And his Devoted Spirit maneuvers give him further healing options meaning he can play the role of in-combat healer quite well. He hits the sweet spot for out of combat healing at level 12, when he picks up the Touch of Healing reserve feat.

Level 15

Margrave's hiding ability is now very good with the addition of the Armored Stealth ability and maxed ranks in hide. The Touch of Healing Reserve Feat and Augmented Healing feats both provide him with a massively improved ability to heal the wounds of others, as well as potentially improve his spells that heal ability damage (Augmented Healing just states that it adds 2 points to the amount of damage healed by a conjuration(healing) spell, it doesn't specify hitpoint damage. Presumably, this means you can use it to heal 1d4+2 points of ability damage with Lesser Restoration). He continues to delve into the Shadow Hand maneuvers, and picks up some excellent utility and offense.

Level 20

At this point, Mr. Margrave is a juggernaut on the battlefield. Divine Fury gives him another way to hammer his enemies with his abundant Turn attempts, and his high level maneuvers make him a massively heavy hitter as well as improving his survivability to ridiculous levels. He also picks up Darkstalker, rounding out his stealth abilities.

Suggested Equipment
    Spoiler
    Show
    The standard array of usual items is good here, stat & save boosters, awesome weapon, awesome armor, etc. This section isn't here for that, it's here for some specifics:

Stealth boosters - Quick, somebody get that man a suit of +1 Mithral Full Plate of Silent Moves to boost his Move Silently skill! Other than that, he's good.

Metamagic Rods - Metamagic Rods on a frontliner? In this case, absolutely! Drop some change on lesser rods of Extend, Quicken, and Silent. Why Lesser Rods? They're reasonably cheap, and the lesser version works with 3/4 of your spells (you only get up to 4th level spells).

Sources
    Spoiler
    Show

Player's Handbook Extra Turning, Power Attack
    Tome of Battle Ruby Knight Vindicator, Adaptive Style
    Heroes of Horror Death Delver
    Complete Champion Magic Devotion, Touch of Healing
    Complete Divine Augment Healing
    Races of Destiny Able Learner
    Lords of Madness Darkstalker
    Cityscape Web Enhancement Skilled City Dweller (Swap Ride for Tumble)

24. - Top - End - #114

WolfInSheepsClothing

Note: For anyone diverted to this build from less reputable sites, we don't mean THAT kind of fist.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fist of Wee Jas
    History of the Fist
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spurned at birth by his horrified mother, the man later known as the Fist of Wee Jas was dropped off at a Jasite church not even 4 hours after he was born. Although he was indoctrinated by the church, he did not develop any clerical abilities. His aberrant blood instead manifested, and he began to exhibit strange abilities. Learned sages that the church contacted identified them as psionic abilities. Regardless, he was fully trained in church policies.

Later in life, he was introduced into the Cleansing Dawn heresy, a splinter sect of the Jasite clergy which believed that all undeath was unnatural, even when used as voluntary guardians. To that end, they developed a special connection to the Positive Energy Plane, which had the added benefit of healing their living allies.

Many people believed the Fist to be no more than a legend, however, it is a known fact that for decades, the leader of the Cleansing Dawn has always had a sinuous tendril coiling about them that is otherwise unexplained.

The Fist of Wee Jas
    Spoiler
    Show
    Daelkyr Halfblood Divine Mind 4/Crusader 4/Divine Crusader 2/Ruby Knight Vindicator 10
    1st Divine Mind 1 +0 +2 +0 +2 Autohypnosis 4, Knowledge (religion) 4 Hidden Talent (mind thrust)B, Power Attack, Symbiont MasteryB Mantle (Mental Power), psychic aura 5ft
    2nd Divine Mind 2 +1 +3 +0 +3 Autohypnosis 5, Knowledge (religion) 5 - -
    3rd Divine Mind 3 +2 +3 +1 +3 Autohypnosis 6, Knowledge (religion) 6 Weapon Focus (Morningstar) Psychic aura 10ft
    4th Divine Mind 4 +3 +4 +1 +4 Autohypnosis 7, Knowledge (religion) 7 - Stygian path, Charisma +1
    5th Crusader 1 +4 +6 +1 +4 Intimidate 4 - Furious counterstrike, steely resolve 5
    6th Crusader 2 +5 +7 +1 +4 Hide 2 Heretic of the Faith Indomitable soul
    7th Crusader 3 +6/+1 +7 +2 +5 Hide 4 - Zealous surge
    8th Crusader 4 +7/+2 +8 +2 +5 Knowledge (religion) 8, Intimidate 7 - Steely resolve 10, Charisma +1
    9th Divine Crusader 1 +7/+2 +10 +2 +7 Intimidate 9 Law Devotion Aura of Law, Domain access (Healing)
    10th Divine Crusader 2 +8/+3 +11 +2 +8 Intimidate 11 - -
    11th Ruby Knight Vindicator 1 +9/+4 +11 +2 +10 Intimidate 13, Never Outnumbered - -
    12th Ruby Knight Vindicator 2 +10/+5 +11 +2 +11 Balance 2, Intimidate 15 Imperious Command Divine recovery, Charisma +1
    13th Ruby Knight Vindicator 3 +11/+6/+1 +12 +3 +11 Balance 5, Intimidate 16 -
    14th Ruby Knight Vindicator 4 +12/+7/+2 +12 +3 +12 Balance 8, Intimidate 17 - -
    15th Ruby Knight Vindicator 5 +13/+8/+3 +12 +3 +12 Spellcraft 3, Intimidate 18 Extra Turning Armored stealth
    16th Ruby Knight Vindicator 6 +13/+8/+3 +13 +4 +13 Spellcraft 4, Intimidate 19, Knowledge (religion) 10 - Charisma +1
    17th Ruby Knight Vindicator 7 +15/+10/+5 +13 +4 +13 Intimidate 20, Knowledge (religion) 13 - Divine impetus
    18th Ruby Knight Vindicator 8 +16/+11/+6/+1 +13 +4 +14 Intimidate 21, Knowledge (religion) 16 Practiced Spellcaster (Divine Crusader) -
    19th Ruby Knight Vindicator 9 +17/+12/+7/+2 +14 +5 +14 Intimidate 22, Knowledge (religion) 19 - Divine fury
    20th Ruby Knight Vindicator 10 +18/+13/+8/+3 +14 +5 +15 Balance 10, Intimidate 23, Knowledge (religion) 20 - Charisma +1

Ability Scores (after Racial Modifiers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Strength 16, Dexterity 11, Constitution 14, Intelligence 10, Wisdom 11, Charisma 15

Level Snapshots
    Spoiler
    Show
    Level 5: You’ve got 4 levels of Divine Mind before your Crusader level, giving you an IL of 3, letting you pick a half dozen 2nd level maneuvers instead of first level ones, giving you nice goodies such as Mountain Hammer and Tactical Strike instead of being stuck with Crusader’s Strike and the like. You’re focused mainly on team support, giving coverage not only with your Martial Stance (either Iron Guard’s Glare or Martial Spirit), but also with your psychic aura and power. Your Aberrant typing comes in handy granting you immunity to a few common spells. With a Breed Leech as your chosen symbiont, you actually have a better Improved Toughness for free (you’ll get +7 HP over the +5 for the CW feat).

Level 10: You’ve joined the Cleansing Dawn sect of the Jasite clergy. This branch of the clergy embraces the thought that undeath in and of itself is unclean, and it should purged by bursts of holy light and spiked bludgeons. Heretic of the Faith not only allows you to access one new domain for your deity (within reason) but lets you change the favored weapon of the deity, in this case from the relatively useless dagger to a morningstar. The reason that you’re choosing a morningstar over a greatsword or the like is because of the tentacle whip symbiont (And you apparently can’t hold a weapon in the same hand. If your DM allows you to use a two-handed weapon with it, feel free to choose a better weapon). You’re sacrificing a few points of damage (the difference between a 2d6 and 1d8) for the ability to deliver touch spells at 15ft. This has both offensive and defensive applications, as undead are harmed by conjuration (healing) spells. It’s also worth noting that many of your maneuvers only require a melee attack, not an adjacent opponent. Continuing in your party support role, you also pick up maneuvers like Bonecrusher, Vanguard Strike and the hilariously broken White Raven Tactics.

Level 15: Everything that you’ve worked for improves here. With Law Devotion, you get a handy boost to hit/AC, and Extra Turning lets you activate it more often. You pick up some minor fear-locking with Imperious Command, but it’s more of a bonus than anything else. As a bonus, you’ve got nearly full BAB to pour into Law Devotion. You also get access to heal at this level, which is pretty damned handy, no?

Level 20: You’ve finally hit the apex of your abilities. You manage to pick up the infamous Mountain Tombstone Strike as a capstone feature, dealing 2d6 constitution damage (with no save!). Divine Fury and Law Devotion don’t stack, so you can freely put the Law bonus into AC and use a Turn attempt to fuel your to hit. You’ve got mass heal as well, and, with the improved Caster Level granted to you by the Practiced Spellcaster feat, you get the entire benefit for your regular heals. You’ve also managed to sneak in the swift action Shadow Blink, greatly improving your maneuverability.

Psionics
    Spoiler
    Show

Level Base PP Bonus PP Total
    1st 0 0 0
    2nd 1 1 2
    3rd 2 1 3
    4th-20th 3 2 5

Power known: mind thrust

Maneuvers
    Spoiler
    Show
    Maneuvers Readied (Granted)
    Level Known Readied IL
    1st - - 0.5
    2nd - - 1
    3rd - - 1.5
    4th - - 2
    5th 5 5 (2) 3
    6th 5 5 (2) 4
    7th 6 5 (2) 5
    8th 6 5 (2) 6
    9th 6 5 (2) 6.5
    10th 6 5 (2) 7
    11th 6 5 (2) 8
    12th 7 5 (2) 9
    13th 7 5 (2) 10
    14th 8 5 (2) 11
    15th 8 6 (3) 12
    16th 9 6 (3) 13
    17th 9 6 (3) 14
    18th 10 6 (3) 15
    19th 10 7 (4) 16
    20th 11 7 (4) 17

Maneuvers Known: Mountain Hammer, Tactical Strike, Vanguard Strike, Foehammer, White Raven Tactics, Bonecrusher, Divine Surge, Order Forged From Chaos, Shadow Blink, White Raven Hammer, Mountain Tombstone Strike

Stances Known: Martial Spirit, Iron Guard’s Glare, Roots of the Mountain, Aura of Perfect Order

Spells
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells Known
    Healing Domain
    1. cure light wounds
    2. cure moderate wounds
    3. cure serious wounds
    4. cure critical wounds
    5. cure light wounds, mass
    6. heal
    7. regenerate
    8. cure critical wounds, mass
    9. heal, mass

Spells per Day (not including bonus spells)
    1st - - - - - - - - - -
    2nd - - - - - - - - - -
    3rd - - - - - - - - - -
    4th - - - - - - - - - -
    5th - - - - - - - - - -
    6th - - - - - - - - - -
    7th - - - - - - - - - -
    8th - - - - - - - - - -
    9th - 0 - - - - - - - -
    10th - 1 0 - - - - - - -
    11th - 1 0 - - - - - - -
    12th - 2 1 0 - - - - - -
    13th - 2 2 1 0 - - - - -
    14th - 3 2 2 1 0 - - - -
    15th - 3 3 2 2 1 0 - - -
    16th - 3 3 2 2 1 0 - - -
    17th - 3 3 3 2 2 1 0 - -
    18th - 3 3 3 3 2 2 1 0 -
    19th - 3 3 3 3 3 2 2 1 0
    20th - 3 3 3 3 3 3 2 2 1

Source List
    Spoiler
    Show

Complete Champion
    Complete Divine
    Complete Psionic
    Drow of the Underdark
    Eberron Campaign Setting
    Expanded Psionics Handbook
    Lost Empires of Faerun
    Magic of Eberron
    Mind’s Eye: Expanded Classes Part IV
    Player’s Handbook
    Tome of Battle

25. - Top - End - #115

WolfInSheepsClothing

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I think that's it, ladies and gents! If I missed any builds, please PM me (do NOT post the fact in thread.)

I'm reserving this post just in case.

In the meantime, that's quite a crop of builds!

7 builds means we get a Gold, Silver, Bronze, and HM is actually necessary to vote for this time. If you're competing, PM me your HM vote to make sure anonymity is as reserved as possible. If you're not, just post it in thread for me to tally up.
    Last edited by Kazudo; 2014-05-01 at 04:48 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Aw yeah, someone used Death Delver! My second build was actually pretty close to that one (except I used Swordsage + feats to qualify instead of Crusader).

So that's what, 7 builds? Not too shabby, Kazudo.

The Power of the Orient: A Wu Jen Handbook

Quote Originally Posted by Paul S. Kemp
    Frankly, I think the designers and novelists did great work in the post-Spellplague Realms. But, in the end, this wasn’t a new setting. It was the Realms, the Realms 100 years later, and therein lay the problem.

27. - Top - End - #117

AssassinGuy

Yep, a nice lineup this time around.
    A bit varied as well with different goals in mind.

I did my preliminary reading and will start scoring soon. And yes I read up on ToB, so although I don't know all the combos, I understand how ToB magics work.

If anyone has anything to talk about my above scoring please do so soon - its easier to change the way I score BEFORE I actually do it, than arguing after the fact.

28. - Top - End - #118

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by NoACWarrior View Post
    ToB magics
    That phrase made me happy.

Also, thanks Kuulv! Episode 1 was brand new. This one brought people in, I think, based on the nature of being gutsy and using a decent PRC to require. The next one will probably bring people in because of, well, the sheer nature of the thing.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

That phrase made me happy.

Also, thanks Kuulv! Episode 1 was brand new. This one brought people in, I think, based on the nature of being gutsy and using a decent PRC to require. The next one will probably bring people in because of, well, the sheer nature of the thing.
    Hey, you earned that praise.

@NoACWarrior: For this one (Crackers with your Cheese (1) - no cheese = 1, one cheesy entry (a feat or alternate cheesy sources) = 0.5, using more than one cheesy entry = 0.), how are you counting people who took the adaptation route and pretty much flipped Wee Jas the bird?

The Power of the Orient: A Wu Jen Handbook

Quote Originally Posted by Paul S. Kemp
    Frankly, I think the designers and novelists did great work in the post-Spellplague Realms. But, in the end, this wasn’t a new setting. It was the Realms, the Realms 100 years later, and therein lay the problem.

30. - Top - End - #120

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    Hey, you earned that praise.

@NoACWarrior: For this one (Crackers with your Cheese (1) - no cheese = 1, one cheesy entry (a feat or alternate cheesy sources) = 0.5, using more than one cheesy entry = 0.), how are you counting people who took the adaptation route and pretty much flipped Wee Jas the bird?
    Thats a good point there - although Kaz said it was ok to refluff, I personally think that the fluff is something of a thematic limitation a player would need to meet in order to use the PrC. In such a case I would probably give the person a 0.5 - although its not that cheesy to ignore worship of Wee Jas, but its a limitation others have adhered to. In the end though, if you were to NOT worship Wee Jas, you might have better build strength (not by much). With that said, I thought everyone worshiped Wee Jas, and even the Paladin based build had a feat to do it special.

Things that I consider cheese is using fractional BAB, Traits / Flaws, Chaos shuffle, LA buyoff, and other things which lead to a distinct advantage versus the trade off of using such alternate rules.