Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 231
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    gr8artist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Homebrew
    Gender
    Male

    Default A Journey through the Witherlands

    TAB Your journey begins in Thoros, the city of inspiration, devotion, and skill. Thoros lies in a range of mineral rich hills north of the Garlian stomping grounds, and west of thriving Seryn. The people of Thoros are passionate and generous, and constantly strive toward self improvement, especially in their crafts and professions. They like to find the best in others, though there's a great deal of enmity between them and the citizens of the Blackmire. There is no currency in Thoros; rather, they freely offer the fruits of their labor to those in need. When an exchange IS called for, artisans and laborers may trade "favors," small metallic or molded tokens bearing the sigil of their creator's Devotion, as well as a personal mark (name, family crest, etc.).
    TAB Some of you were raised in Thoros, and are painfully aware of cultural stigma and local ethics that others will not know. Most of you are recent additions to Thoros' ranks, and are still trying to master the intricacies of local culture. Thoros expects each of you to labor alongside others with a similar interest, and while you possess no official Devotion, you may be considered an honorary member of that Devotion as long as you continue to contribute to the well-being of Thoros. Soldiers and warriors follow the Devotion of Steel; craftsmen and artisans practice their craft under the Devotion of Iron; caretakers, gardeners, and teachers the Devotion of Soil; historians, undertakers, and doctors the Devotion of Bone; travelers and diplomats the Devotion of Winds; while scholars and mages take Quills as the symbol of their Devotion.
    TAB Thoros is an underground colony, originally comprised of three large caverns before population growth necessitated the addition of artificial warrens. The outermost cavern is called the Maw, a wet, rocky space filled with stalagmites and stalagmites, and divided by a massive bronze-plated brick wall. In this wall, there are two dark gray guard towers known as the Stonefangs, and between them lies a massive oak door, reinforced with bands of alternating steel and bronze.
    TAB Beyond the Maw lies the Gullet, which holds the Thoran barracks, and houses the majority of the Devotion of Steel. Training in all forms of combat takes place here. Beyond the Gullet you find the Oldbarrows, formed by flowing water and source of most Thoran nourishment. The Devotion of Soil presides here, and the area is a great location for conversation and storytelling. The Devotion of Winds takes residence in the Oldbarrows as well. The first artificial cavern is adjacent to the Oldbarrows, and beneath the Gullet. This area was once called Newhaven, but has long since been renamed the 'Combs, due to the number of bodies entombed there. History, medicine, and a library of other information can be found here, and as such the Devotions of Bone and Quills have taken the area for their studies. The Forge was built beneath the Maw, and is connected to the Gullet and the 'Combs. The Devotion of Iron practices here, as the smoke and fumes they produce vent through the ceiling, the Stonefangs, and lastly the surface. Adjacent to the Forge, there are the mines, where the metals and minerals that give Thoros its strength can be found. There are many tunnels in the mines, though only one which is closed off. One of the mines tunneled into an expansive cavern beneath Thoros, and spurred a year a long conflict with the twisted creatures that lived there. Though the tunnel is now barred, the deep creatures frequently tunnel up in search for fresh meat. Guards are regularly posted in the mines to defend against such attacks, and sorties into the Undermines are something of a right of passage for the Devotion of Steel.

    TAB The day is young, and you have some time to yourself. Practice your craft, explore, or chug beers around the campfire with your mates. You cannot leave Thoros or explore the Undermines. A caravan from Seryn arrived in Thoros the night before, and you may choose to have been in that caravan, or choose a different explanation for your presence. Those who choose to have been in that caravan would know each other, as though they had been together for two weeks. You may share information with each other privately, or communally through the OoC thread. Please explain your pastime and Devotion affiliation in your posts here, but do so IC. Once we know where everyone is and what they're doing, I can begin a more in-depth narrative.
    Above all, have fun!
    Last edited by gr8artist; 2014-04-21 at 10:11 PM.
    My Homebrew and Extended Signature
    Current avatar: Charza Sahlaren, by gr8artist

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
     
    AngryCyc's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013

    Default Re: A Journey through the Witherlands

    Audriel the Azhuri aasimar, is in Thoros having just arrived with a caravan. She is out studying the miasma and trying to better understand ways to protect against it. Impressed with the library used by the Devotion of Quills, her first instinct is to head straight there to begin exploring what it has to offer her.
    Last edited by AngryCyc; 2014-04-22 at 01:55 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2011

    Default Re: A Journey through the Witherlands

    Angharad had joined the caravan in Seryn, looking to get some protected time out in the miasma and understand techniques other town have used to combat the invasion.

    Her roles on the journey had been that of a scout and huntress, warning the caravan of hostiles and gathering game as opportunity presented itself. The wildland prey had become exceptionally wary, so foraging taxed her skills.

    She had initially kept Coli out of sight worried the caravan guards would attack him. The scarcity had forced her to enlist Coli help. The guards no longer looked at her with ease once they knew she consorted with wild beasts and she had been forced to dye his thighs and crown an orange color so they could identify him.

    She was relieved when they arrived in Thoros and she could take a break. The communion with the land had been a trifle harder than expected.

    She decided after the caravan's willingness to accept her animal companion, she would see how the Thorosian people handled him, though she did update the dye just in case.

    Once the caravan passed through the wall and out of the Maw, her duty was done. Having gotten a relative orientation in the cavern, she and Coli headed for the 'Combs. A useful destination as it would require her to pass through most of the rest of the caverns to get there.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Dec 2013

    Default Re: A Journey through the Witherlands

    Kea could not belive his eyes, he had known of the city that was his masters home, but to him it was more of a paradise. He had spent long nights in the caravan, he had more than once been terrorized by a Strange animal that had become his personal hell for the weeks during the travel, the owner insisted that he not hurt it, and due to his code he followed that plea to the letter... but that did not stop the animal from being more than a pest. Lucky that was all behind him, he was in the city that breathed with honor and pride. This, more than anywhere else, was the place to begin his search. Kea stayed to help the cara c an unpack and go on there way before setting off for himself, he then went on his way to look for something to fill his..... his stomach growled.... he spotted a bar, kea sighed, mumbling to himself about filling one thing at a time. Kea went into the pub to fill himself, rather his belly...

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Journey through the Witherlands

    Therros sat on a small rock away from prying eyes, silently berating himself for not learning more about Thoros ... and not for the last time. These sanctimonious arses were so smug in their 'superiority' but couched it as trying to bring everyone up to their level. Please! He had seen how they treated those from the Blackmire - like pariah. No, they thought well of anyone who looked like them, or acted like them, or worked for them. But for somebody like Therros, you might as well tattoo 'Beat Me' on his forehead.

    He pulled his cloak a little tighter, making sure his hood kept his feature hidden in the shadows. He thought back to his first week in the town, trying to find a place to stay and get a bite to eat. The inn-keeper had looked at him like he was covering in dung, and the other patrons had purposefully avoided making contact. "It's not catchy!" he wanted to shout, but it would have been pointless. He left, figuring he would help himself to some of thate famous Thorosian generousity, whether the giver knew it or not. Of course, that's when he found out these silly gits didn't even use money - they traded favors and labor! What kind of crazy city was this?

    The final insult was this concept of Devotions. On the surface, they sounded great ... unless you couldn't swing a sword. Or write a book. Or build a house. Or heal the lame. Or be a statesman. Where the hell were the normal people?

    With long sigh, Therros eyed the road where the new caravan would come. Perhaps some of the new comers would have something worthwhile ... but he'd wait to see if they were as annoying as the Thorosians first. For now, maybe he could find out some more about a local guild - he was certain there needed to be a devotion focused on the kind of skills he had, but figured the Thorosians would never admit it freely.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Therros will look about for the local thieves guild ... gotta be something like that around here somewhere, right?
    KS: Local - (1d20+6)[21]
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Journey through the Witherlands

    Morbur has just arrived in Thoros with the caravan and the wonder of the new colony is written plainly on his face. He greatly enjoyed the trip taking a liking to a not so wild wolf that was accompanying them. Now that he has reached Thoros, Morbur plans to head straight to the gullet to learn more about the Devotion of steel he has heard of. He figures that the devotions are something like the tribes in Garl.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DaOldeWolf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Mexico
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Journey through the Witherlands

    Travelling with the caravan was the best option for someone like Geonem. He remained mostly to himself during the travel. He was on his travel to to unveil the truth behind Roka and was hoping to find some leads Thoros.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.

    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    It can also turn into a Star wars debate.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    gr8artist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Homebrew
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Journey through the Witherlands

    After a brief bit of exploration, Audriel finds her way to the 'Combs, and the library of Quills. There are several people here, studying and scribbling, and you spot a curious young elf in the corner practicing a bit of magic. The air is pungent with the smell of old texts, arcane powders, and half-burned candles. Most of the people in the area are wearing leather necklaces with boiled leather pendants. Each pendant bears the sigil of Quills, and seems embossed in dark ink. They freely allow you use of the library, though they are eager to speak with you and learn about your travels. One young Ghul'mar scholar, who greets you in fluent Ansin, asks to learn more about you, or at least to read your journals. He offers you a glass of strong green ale, made from local moss and flavored with herbs from Seryn, and introduces himself as Robric, a student of laws.

    Angharad and Coli make their way to the 'Combs by route of the Oldbarrows, but are stopped there by a group of children taking an interest in Coli. None of them seem frightened; rather, they are almost too aggressive with their affection, hugging and tugging at Coli's fur until the wolf begins to growl. Their teacher, a young elven woman in embroidered robes, greets you in Ansin with a smile. She introduces herself as Lannia, an adept in the Devotion of Soil, tasked with teaching the children their manners and the philosophies of Thoros. She apologizes for their excitement as she shoo's them away from Coli, and tells you that the children simply love animals, and several of the keepers and gardeners in her Devotion are very open and welcoming of their affection. You see a pendant around her neck, bearing a wooden pendant and burned sigil you assume represents her Devotion.

    Keashiell searched for a pub, but to no avail. In his hometown, bars and brothels littered the streets and cluttered the alleys with drunken, half-naked sots. But here, things were different. There were several cooks and gardeners regularly making their rounds through the caverns, offering their wares and giving away samples of new recipes. Often they set up at small booths, filling bowl after bowl with warm broth and pungent gruel, or passing out tankards and wineskins filled with a dark green ale. The stuff was potent and pulpy, made from moss and spices, and simply testing the aroma could make your eyes water. Unlike in Ro'kas, no one here was getting outright drunk. Most would take a flagon or two, then begin wrestling, singing, or playing at games of skill. Conversation was loud, bawdy, and uplifting, and no one seemed to be preachy or condescending, which was a pleasant change.
    One portly dwarven cook greeted Kea in Ansin and something he could only guess was Olcar, before attempting Karsi with a little more success. He introduced himself as Bron Brickbelly, maker of the finest ru'gar (root and beetle) soup, and the strongest lichor (moss ale). He offers you a bowl of one, a flagon of the other, and asks you to tell him a little about yourself, and what would bring a stranger like yourself to this wonderful town. You see a wooden pendant around his neck, bearing a strange sigil.

    Weeks of searching for contacts and leads was finally beginning to pay off for Therros. He had narrowed possible "professionals" down to three individuals: An alchemist in the Oldbarrows who made poisons for the Devotion of Steel, a tinkerer in the Forge who makes locks, traps, and other intricate devices, and a scrapper in the Gullet who seemed to favor a pair of kukri, and had a knack for striking vitals. The alchemist, an old Elf with a wiry frame, turned out to be a dead end, as did the tiefling fighter. Neither seemed to have any advice or contacts for someone with a less-than-legit inclination, and both seemed moderately offended at the suggestion. The tinkerer was the only lead to not outright reject his advances, but he seemed very cautious and guarded, not about to give Therros any useful information. Just as he was ready to throw in the towel and find something else to do, an orc hailed him in Kerran from some shadows behind the tinkerer's shop. At first glance, the gray-skinned, yellow-toothed figure seemed massive, but Therros quickly realized that it was a cunning sense of placement that gave him that impression. The alley where the orc stood was slightly inclined, making him seem taller, and the walls pinched closer together at the far end, making him seem broader.
    Spoiler: Kerran (S)
    Show
    "Shikkabud', You tryna' start trouble in mah' city?"

    Morbur meets immediate and apparent hostility from the moment he arrives in Thoros, which was to be expected, given the frequent conflict between his own people and the people of Thoros. But his tribal leader had sent him on a journey of exploration, and he would not let opposition deter him. It took nearly half an hour of diplomacy and arguments to even get past the Stonefangs, and the guards in the Maw made it clear they weren't happy about it. In particular, an elven swordsman named Sorren seemed the most perturbed. Just as the way seemed clear and Morbur was ready to begin exploring, Sorren returned with a few of his friends, all bearing the sigil of Steel in their necklaces and seemingly ready to start a fight. Outnumbered three to one, Morbur would have little hope of winning a brawl here.
    Spoiler: Karsi (S)
    Show
    "This little pup thinks he can just walk in here and kill us in his sleep, does he? Thinks we're just gonna lay down and take it, eh? Pup, gimme' one good reason why we shouldn't kick your ass and leave you out on the surface to die?"
    The dual-wielding elf, as well as his two companions (a sword-n'-board dwarf, and a quiet aasimar with a spear), seem aggressive in their mannerisms, and have chosen a place where backup wasn't near, but wouldn't be far away. A quick glance revealed only one bystander, but Morbur's gut reaction at the sight of the Ghul'mar was definitively negative. Some scavenger from Ro'kas, his peoples' sworn enemy? A true Garlian warrior would never ask for help from one such as he.

    Geonem was helping the caravan and making the most of his usefulness, trying to stay out of the way of the aggressive Thoran guards. Though they obviously mistrusted him, he didn't seem like a warrior, despite his large weapon, and so he was tolerated a bit more liberally than most Rokans would have been in his position. He had just finished talking his way out of another shake-down, when he noticed an orc being accosted in the Maw, just outside the Gullet. Judging by their mannerisms, they were obviously preparing for violence, and the conversation he overheard cleared away all doubts.
    Spoiler: Karsi (S)
    Show
    "This little pup thinks he can just walk in here and kill us in his sleep, does he? Thinks we're just gonna lay down and take it, eh? Pup, gimme' one good reason why we shouldn't kick your ass and leave you out on the surface to die?"
    The speaker seemed to be an elf, with a dwarf and one other companion at his side. The orc they were confronting seemed to be alone, and would soon be in trouble. Geonem recognized the orc as one of the caravan travelers, a Garlian warrior from the wolf tribe. The two had exchanged suspicious, wary glances nearly every day of the trip, and hadn't said a word to each other since the orc joined the caravan in the outskirts of the Garlian stomping grounds. Garl and Ro'kas hated each other even more than Garl and Thoros did, after all.
    Last edited by gr8artist; 2014-04-22 at 10:30 PM.
    My Homebrew and Extended Signature
    Current avatar: Charza Sahlaren, by gr8artist

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground
     
    AngryCyc's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013

    Default Re: A Journey through the Witherlands

    Audriel talks to Robric, showing him her notes and talking about things she's seen and studied while also listening to what he has to say.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I uh. I'm not looking to do a lot of boring roleplay by myself if it slows down getting us all into the party and working together... That's how these games die. PbP on here needs to be fairly fast paced or else people leave and the game falls apart.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Journey through the Witherlands

    Morbur

    As Morbur hears the guard's threat he will burst into laughter, he understands at this point there is likely no way to stop the fight so he might as well enjoy it.
    Spoiler: Karsi
    Show
    "AHAHAHA well now I see that renowned Thoros hospitality is only surpassed by the bravery of the Devotion of Steel. I mean come now it only took three of you together to grow the balls to come face a 'pup' like me. HAHAHA I mean what would you cowards do if a season Garlian warrior came? send 10? 20? would you need your whole devotion before you could muster the courage to face one Garlian warrior? hahahaha," Morbur, who has been laughing throughout suddenly gets a serious and dangerous look on his face, "now, here's what I'll do: you turn and leave now and I won't hurt none of ya and I won't tell no one about this cowardly event, stay though and I'll hurt ya bad." His eyes promise pain as they stare directly into Sorren's.
    Spoiler: Intimidate
    Show
    (1d20+4)[6]


    Spoiler: actions
    Show
    1) If they move to leave or say something indicating they will leave peacefully, then Morbur will let them go

    2) If they attack immediately, then Morbur will be ready to defend himself

    3) If they begin to say something indicating they still mean to fight, then Morbur will spring at Sorren and punch him with both fists(charging if there is enough room)
    first attack: (1d20+5)[7] +2 if charge
    First damage: (1d3+4)[5] +2 if charge
    second attack: (1d20+5)[25]
    second damage: (1d20+2)[13]

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2011

    Default Re: A Journey through the Witherlands

    Angharad is unconcerned about the children at first. About the time she gets worried, Coli starts to growl. She tries to shoo them off ineffectually. They are both much relieved when the elven teacher shows up to take control of the children.

    "Well met. I am Angharad lately from Seryn and this is my friend Coli."

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Journey through the Witherlands

    Therros

    The boggart sighed as he left the shop, shaking his head in frustration. He knew that everyone in Thoros couldn't be as lily-white as they appeared to be - his chat with the tinkerer had told him that much. Unfortunately, it was going to be a little harder than he thought. Maybe they really didn't have a guild. That, or it was such a secret that outsiders weren't allowed in.

    As he slipped through an alley behind the shop, on his way back to the inn, someone called out from the shadows. Peering back, he was taken aback for a moment as he saw the orc looming over him. But after a moment, he realized it was more lighting and position then size and power. At the orc's greeting, however, his eyes narrowed. He glanced around quickly, checking to see if the orc had any back-up, then casually leaned against a wall and started to inspect his claws. With a slow lick of his claws, he smiled at the half-orc and responded.

    Spoiler: Kerran
    Show
    "Heyo, tusker. I'm not crappin' in your pond. I'm just tryin' to find my place in the world. You just the talker, or the walker?"


    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Checking for others and trying to see if this guy is bluffing me. In the future, let me know if you want to make those rolls!
    Perception - (1d20+4)[14], Sense Motive - (1d20+4)[6]
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Dec 2013

    Default Re: A Journey through the Witherlands

    Keashiell smiled at the dwarf and his kind offer, the kind man reminded him of another dwarf who's kindness had helped him in the past. Kea graciously accepted the food and drink, though he chose to drink out of respect, far too many times had he seen what alcohol can do to a person, no matter how kind they may seem. When finished kea thanked Bron with a full stomach and asked in the best karsi he could
    Spoiler: karsi
    Show
    thank you for the great meal, I have yet to taste anything quite as unique as that. I understand I am to owe you a favor now, correct? I am new here and have no mark to give like yours (pointing towards the sigil). I do have a strong back in which to offer, is there anything I may do to help?
    with that he gives a quick thought,
    Spoiler: karsi
    Show
    by any chance, have you heard of a group that may be around here, a order of the withered roses?

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    gr8artist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Homebrew
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Journey through the Witherlands

    Audriel has a pleasant enough conversation with Robric, though the Ghul'mar is pushy and his conversation not particularly interesting. After a few minutes, you are able to excuse yourself, and gain unimpeded access to the library, though Robric is still thumbing through your journal. He seems to take a keen interest in the differences in social structure and legality in the regions you've explored, specifically in Azhuri, your home. He jots down a few notes on interesting laws and statutes as he reads.
    You find some interesting tomes and texts dealing with history and early life in Thoros. Of particular interest, there are texts describing the establishment of the different Devotions, a history of the war with Garl and the consequences thereof, and a rather worn tome describing legends from the Age of Myths. You know little about the Age of Myths, save that it preceded the Withering, and the cultures that thrived during that time were reported to have fantastic and long forgotten sciences.
    You may read one of these tomes, return to speaking with Robric, or seek out a new activity.

    Angharad and Coli are welcomed by the teacher, who offers her a stick of boiled pepper stalk. Cho'vi peppers are a common staple in Thoros, though more potent that most Serynites care for. The stalks however, have a mild, bitter taste that hints of cinnamon and clove. Lannia apologizes for the children's interference and asks where you were going. She then points you in the direction of the 'Combs, and suggests that you seek out Merrin, the local head of healers, who she claims would be more than happy to show you around.
    As you talk with her, you notice a rather large orc in the distance, working the garden while a sizable bear cub sleeps lazily nearby.

    Bron laughs mightily when Keashiell suggest a favor returned.
    Spoiler: Karsi (S)
    Show
    "Don't think of it like that, lad. You don't owe me nuthin', though I'd appreciate your opinion on the brew and flavor. The lads 'round here like it strong, ya' see, and they like the soup with a hearty kick. So I'm always lookin' for an outsider's opinion."
    "Now, as ta' that other matter, I can't say as I do. We've had a few take to new-fangled factions and codes 'n such, and I couldna' tell ya' one way or ta'other which've stayed and which've left. Hell, few yers back, we had a whole group of soldiers, twenny or so, set out on some quest to find Omen, some kind 'a magic sword from the Age of Myths."
    "Off hand, I'd say any kind of order with the name "Roses" gonna' be in my Devotion, Soil." He taps his wooden pendant as he mentions it, "But we ain't got none that I know of. If it's a fighter group yer lookin' for, yer in tha' right place, though."
    Bron talks freely, and is perhaps a bit longwinded for Keashiell's tastes. But, the man is informative and friendly, which is more than could be said for the Thoran Soldiers walking around. Many of them are giving Keashiell wary glances and suspicious stares, obviously too used to fighting outsiders and too hesitant to let strangers in.

    Therros and the strange orc share a long, suspicious stare, before the orc finally breaks the silence. They seemed to be alone, and the alley appeared to be a dead end. The orc seems mildly pleased as he speaks.
    Spoiler: Kerran (S)
    Show
    "Good ta' see ya' got a little sass in ya'. I like a bit of sass... makes winnin' a lot more fun."
    The orc then gets a little more serious, as he continues the discussion.
    Spoiler: Kerran (S)
    Show
    "Now, I guess you'd say I'm tha' talker, for now. It don't take nothin' special to notice you been talkin' to all the people that a crook would talk to, and that tells me somethin' about you. Either you're a snitch, or you're a crook, and around here, both mean trouble."
    The orc steps forward and offers you a wineskin. He pops the cork out, and you immediately smell the pungent stench of strong lichor, the foul-tasting ass-kicking brew favored in Thoros.
    Spoiler: Kerran (S)
    Show
    "So tell me, Shikka, what kinda' trouble didja' bring me?"
    You have no idea what his intentions could be, and his mannerisms are reserved and cautious. You don't see anyone else in the vicinity, though if either of you called for help it would be a matter of moments before bypassers would come to your aid. The orc is carrying a sap, but seems to possess no other weapons.

    Morbur meets their intimidation with defiance, and the three Thorans obviously seemed surprised. However, your malicious glare has little effect on the leader of the posse, and the situation quickly devolves. Sorren speaks first, in response to your taunts.
    Spoiler: Karsi (S)
    Show
    "You hear this, he think's he's so tough. I bet he's lyin' through his teeth, tryin' not ta' piss hisself."
    The dwarf and the aasimar move to position themselves around Morbur, as Sorren opens his mouth one too many times, speaking in Ansin so as to surprise Morbur.
    Spoiler: Ansin (S)
    Show
    "Jonn, Alec, wait for me. I'm about to --"
    Suddenly Morbur throws a desperate punch, which misses Sorren by an inch. Sorren reaches for his weapon, but a solid punch connects with his jaw, and Sorren hits the ground like a wet pillow. His companions both draw their weapons, but seem to be on the fence as to what action they should take. It seems that for all of their posturing, none of the three are more than fresh cadets themselves.
    My Homebrew and Extended Signature
    Current avatar: Charza Sahlaren, by gr8artist

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground
     
    AngryCyc's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013

    Default Re: A Journey through the Witherlands

    Audriel is immediately intrigued by the tome on the Age of Myths... she felt pretty confident in her knowledge of modern events, but deeply desired to learn as much as she could about what exactly CAUSED the Withering in the first place, hoping it would lead to a clue about ways to protect against it. She begins perusing it immediately.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Dec 2013

    Default Re: A Journey through the Witherlands

    Keashiell put a happy face on for the kindly dwarf, but from the corner of his eye kept watch of the guards.... The dwarf had given him more information than he knew. Kea took a great gulp from the unsettling alcohol, it had a clump of clay that keashiell did his best to swallow. After the painful sip was done he saw the hopeful look in the dwarfs face. With a grin, kea suggested some ginger moss to give the soup a bigger kick, and bid the kindly man good day.

    As the orc went his way, he could feel the eyes of soldiers watching him. Even a city as heavenly as this must have some hell mixed in... they no doubt would never let a stranger into their ranks. But the dwarf had given him new hope, the order that kea stood for did not house the most proud or vain in its ranks, what better beginning than humble farmers. Keashiell Was now on his way to the farm district, the oldborrows.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Journey through the Witherlands

    Morbur

    Morbur grins when he sees Sorren hit the ground, and it grows wider as he turns to the other two.

    Spoiler: Karsi
    Show
    "Wonder if the big mouth still thinks I'm lying?"

    Morbur eyes the drawn weapons and pulls out his wicked axes.
    Spoiler: Karsi
    Show
    "Time for you two to leave, or it's time for me to bloody my axes. You decided"
    Spoiler: Intimidate
    Show
    (1d20+4)[21]

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Dec 2013

    Default Re: A Journey through the Witherlands

    keashiell

    Was confused.... he was Positive he was heading in the right direction, but the number of guards were growing larger and larger... Kea felt with every step the number of eyes on him multiplied. Was the food supply that in need of protection? He continued to feel the eyes, they surround him... he put his hand on the hilt of his short sword... just then he saw the sign.

    The gullet, center

    ...Kea almost knocked himself out when he smacked his forehead with his palm.... expert tracking skills strike again... he was about to turn around and head back when he saw in the distance a brawl had broken out, an orc... The roses would have to wait, keashiell began running towards the fighter, his axes were drawn, not good...
    Last edited by Stevemantis; 2014-04-24 at 10:41 AM.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Journey through the Witherlands

    Therros

    The boggert raised an eyebrow at the comment about winning, but shrugged it away. With the pleasantries apparently done, and the orc getting down to business, Therros nodded (mostly to himself) and spoke.

    Spoiler: Kerran (S)
    Show
    "Sass doesn't always keep you alive, tusker. As fer winnin' .... well, before you start runnin' victry laps, remember the other guy gets a vote."

    Pausing, he looked the orc up and down, thinking for a moment before he continued.

    Spoiler: Kerran (S)
    Show
    "I'm not lookin' fer trouble, but I'm wondrin' what you're lookin' for. Sure, I asked some questions, mainly 'bout things that don't fit into the Devotions I've seen. That don't make me a crook or a snitch. But it does mean I know a thing or two about discretion ... something you shoulda thought about if you thought I was a snitch.

    So let's cut the crap ... are you the Man? Or just someone who knows the Man?"
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DaOldeWolf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Mexico
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Journey through the Witherlands

    Geonem was thinking about just staying away and letting Garl get what has been coming to him since the two met especially since he wouldnt have to lift a finger for it. Still, it would be a pretty mediocre display of himself. Also, he though that he could try to gain favor from the other two men if he assisted in killing him, maybe even some kind of reward, at the very least maybe he could check for any loot from his body. He walked towards the group as he saw them fighting.

    He paused for a moment and made a small vow and draw out his sword. "Forgive my intrusion. I also have some unfinished business with this man. My name is Geonem Hume."
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.

    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    It can also turn into a Star wars debate.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2011

    Default Re: A Journey through the Witherlands

    Angharad looks uncertain at the orc. The stories she had heard about the wars with the orcs aroused great passion from her elders, but she had seen few. Much of the atrocities seemed to pale when compared to the miasma engulfing the world.

    She strode over slowly and stood some distance away, in his field of view. She waited several seconds before venturing, "Good day to you."

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    gr8artist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Homebrew
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Journey through the Witherlands

    Audriel finds mostly legend and lore in the expansive text, and would quickly realize that sorting through the legends to find actual bits of history might take some time. There is a passage circled in red ink, describing a fearsome weapon wielded by a figure known as the Smiling Knight. Legend says the Smiling Knight was immortalized as a statue, and that his legendary greatsword "Omen" was affixed to the statue's hands. Some small notations on the side of the page seem to give a location, or make a particular reference, though you're not sure what it could be. Skycrash... whatever that is.
    And then you hear a rumble...

    Angharad seemed awkward, a little nervous, as she spoke to the orc. The gardener paused for a brief moment, eyeing the stranger with a mixed sense of apathy and distrust. After a few moments, the orc spoke, his words gravelled with a thick Garlian accent as he gestured toward the nearby bear.
    Spoiler: Karsi (S)
    Show
    "Good day yerself... Nice wolf you have there. This 'eres my pal Nita; my name's Dagur, one of the local keepers."
    The orc seems polite enough, but not particularly interested in carrying on an in-depth conversation, it would seem.
    And then you hear a rumble...

    Therros is making good headway in his conversation with the intimidating orc. The latter seems to be enjoying the conversation, and takes a deep swig from his wineskin before offering a drink to Therros. Most likely the action was intended to dismiss any suspicions of poison, though most of the rabble that consider themselves "in the know" would be hesitant to waste poison on a boggart, as the goblinoid nature is renowned for its toxic tolerance. The orc responds slowly, though deliberately.
    Spoiler: Kerran (S)
    Show
    "There ain't A man, per-se. More like a lid'le group, really. Nothin' anybody'd get in trouble over, just a small c'llection o' like-minded folk wantin' to keep on top o' their game, ya' see?"
    He reaches into his jacket and withdraws a small, onyx coin, ringed in silver. He tosses it to Therros with a grin on his face.
    Spoiler: Kerran (S)
    Show
    "Gimme' a couple h'ars ta' talk it over wit me pals, 'n we'll consider n'vitin' ya to the next shindig."
    With that, strides past the short boggart, and makes his way into the causeway.
    And then you hear a rumble...

    Geonem, Morbur, and Keashiell find themselves getting rapidly embroiled in the beginnings of a skirmish. Sorren, the elven guard, is laying unconcious on the floor, though he seems to still be breathing, and there's no visible blood. The dwarf and the aasimar look unsure of themselves, though they rally for a moment when apparent reinforcements come. They start to move to Geonem's side, but a stern word from Morbur sends them packing. Keashiell arrives to an apparent showdown: a Ghul'mar and an Orc, both fresh off the caravan, looking ready to rip out each-other's throats. The three warriors stand in tense silence for several seconds.
    And then you hear a rumble...


    Everyone hears a low, ominous rumbling. The sound seems to echo up from below, making the ground shake for a moment before subsiding. Immediately the citizens of Thoros are galvanized into action, and begin running into the lower caverns as fast as the can. As they run past you, you hear snippets of panicked conversation... "cave-in", "mines", and "emergency" being the predominant topics.
    The Forge is closest to the mines, and adjacent to it are the Gullet and the 'Combs. Furthest from the commotion is the expansive Oldbarrows.
    My Homebrew and Extended Signature
    Current avatar: Charza Sahlaren, by gr8artist

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Dec 2013

    Default Re: A Journey through the Witherlands

    Keashiell slid between the two as the rumbling began. After regaining his balance through his body he attempted to do the same for the uncivil dispute he has interrupted, he panted his breath for a moment, then looked at the unconscious body of an elf, keashiell suddenly heard a name that made his ear twitch, cave in.... The cheerful expression of his face vanished from his mug as he stared down the hungry fighters
    Spoiler: karsi
    Show
    listen, both of you! I may not know how this started, but I do know now is not the bloody way or time for ending it. By the sound of it all hell is breaking loose, so unless you want an unhonorable, sudden death. I suggest you get out of here

    Keashiell walks over and picks up the unconscious elf, with a heave he begins to carry the elf to the oldborrows. .. keashiell chuckles to himself, at least I won't get lost this time, just follow the crowd

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground
     
    AngryCyc's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013

    Default Re: A Journey through the Witherlands

    Audriel begins following those she sees around her, going wherever they seem to be going... she asks a few times "What's happening? ...what do I need to do?" to the scholars she sees hurrying past, and she does her best to fall in line with what's expected of her.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Journey through the Witherlands

    Morbur gives an exasperated sigh as the Ghul' mar joins the fight, but begins to laugh as the dwarf and aasimar run off in fright. He is about to say something to the Ghul' mar when another Orc pops into the middle and then everything starts shaking.
    Spoiler: Karsi
    Show
    "This ain't the time Ghul'mar, but follow us and when can see about settling that 'unfinished business' of yours"

    Morbur then follows the other Orc figuring he had an idea of where to go.
    Last edited by Eldon4; 2014-04-25 at 09:35 AM.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DaOldeWolf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Mexico
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Journey through the Witherlands

    Geonem turns away as he sees the people running. "We will have to put this on hold..... for now" Geonem then started following the guy carrying the elf. "Want me to lend you a hand with him?" He offered.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.

    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    It can also turn into a Star wars debate.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Dec 2013

    Default Re: A Journey through the Witherlands

    keashiell continued to drag the elf when he turned his head. the ghul mars rokan side was easy to see. kea was susspicious of the fellow rokan, he knows that a selfless rokan is as rare as green grass... but the body of the elf was quite heavy

    Spoiler: karsi
    Show
    i think both me and the elf would appeatiate that very much

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DaOldeWolf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Mexico
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Journey through the Witherlands

    Geonem grabbed the elf from the feet and started carrying the lower half of the elf. He was unsure of what to make of the situation. He analyzed the guy´s speech as the two walked guided by seashell wondering how he was feeling about him being there.

    Spoiler: Sense motive roll against keashiell
    Show

    (1d20+5)[23]
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.

    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    It can also turn into a Star wars debate.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Journey through the Witherlands

    Therros

    The boggert listened carefully as the orc continued to talk, taking the flask and downing a gulp of the harsh liquor. It burned on the way down, making him feel instantly warm, but not in a bad way. He handed it back, not wanting to impair his faculties, trying to stay focused on what the orc was saying.

    Spoiler: Kerran (S)
    Show
    "There ain't A man, per-se. More like a lid'le group, really. Nothin' anybody'd get in trouble over, just a small c'llection o' like-minded folk wantin' to keep on top o' their game, ya' see?"


    Therros nodded as the orc tossed a coin his way and he snatched it out of the air.
    Spoiler: Kerran (S)
    Show
    "Gimme' a couple h'ars ta' talk it over wit me pals, 'n we'll consider n'vitin' ya to the next shindig."


    Therros nodded, looking at the coin thoughtfully.
    Spoiler: Kerran (S)
    Show
    "Well, I like to keep m'self sharp, and there's strength in numbers. I'm sure I'll have some shoppin' in a couple of days, so we'll see."


    He watched the orc walk away as he pocketed the coin when a rumbling sound interrupted his thoughts. Blood King's balls, what is that? Seeing a crowd rush to investigate, he followed, somewhat cautiously, wondering what was going on that had the whole city in an uproar. Rumors indicated a cave-in, but he wanted to see for himself.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    gr8artist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Homebrew
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Journey through the Witherlands

    Geonem and Keashiell carry Sorren's body into the Oldbarrows, againste occasional Thoran heading toward the mines. Morbur follows them, unaware of where to go or what he could do to help. The three reach the Oldbarrows quickly enough, and set the unconscious elf on the ground. Anyone wanting to help has already left the Oldbarrows, and several people give the three of you strange looks. One old man, an aasimar, most likely, offers to care for the elf, though he seems a little nervous about what the four of you could have been up to.
    Everyone is heading to the Mines, by way of the Combs and the Forge, and with a mixed sense of curiosity and anticipation, you head that way. You see Angharad, an elf who'd joined your caravan outside of Seryn, apparently a little shocked and unsure what she should do.

    Audriel is lost for a moment, before someone explains hurriedly.
    Spoiler: Ansin
    Show
    There be a cave-in at tha' mines. We gotta go and see if sum'one needs help. There's nasty things what live unner' the mines.
    The dwarf grabs Audriel's arm and begins practically dragging her through the Forge, eager to find the fastest route and waste as little time as possible.

    Therros was closest to the mines, having been poking around the Forge when the orc approached him. He rushes into the adjoining cavern and quickly begins assessing the situation. There are dozens of tunnels radiating from the central hub and branching apart as the natural formation prompted. Something appears to have used the floor in one to collapse, and a pungent odor is wafting up from within. The mines are normally dry, and solid rock; the presence of mold and decay would indicate a connection to a larger cavern. You then remember the Undermines, and the dread that Thorans feel when dealing with it. As you approach, you notice a lot of children, panicked and crying, and a few guards trying to figure out how to descend into the 20' hole. You can hear crying from below.
    Last edited by gr8artist; 2014-04-26 at 11:26 AM.
    My Homebrew and Extended Signature
    Current avatar: Charza Sahlaren, by gr8artist

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •