Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Table-talk across the Witherlands

OoC conversation thread here. Who plans to be from the most recent caravan to arrive at Thoros (as mentioned in the IC opening post)?
    My Homebrew and Extended Signature
    Current avatar: Charza Sahlaren, by gr8artist

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Table-talk across the Witherlands

I do as it makes the most sense. Also dibbs.
    Last edited by AngryCyc; 2014-04-22 at 04:03 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

sounds like kea would fit in with those nervous guards that Angharad was talking about, ill jump on the caravan bandwagon

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

I know I haven't gotten an IC post up yet and that's because I've been traveling this weekend, and only been able to check with my phone. I have another 8-10 hours on the road today so I'll try and get a post up either tonight or tomorrow morning.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Alrighty, I'm here! Figure I'd post my character in the OOC, too, for ease of reference (mainly for myself )
    Therros, male boggart rogue, who speaks in "fire brick" (Need to make a couple of updates to the sheet, but the link should work)

Spoiler: Details
    Show
    Level 1, Init +4, HP 7/7, Speed 30ft
    AC 18, Touch 15, Flat-footed 14 CMB/CMD 3/12
    Fort +1, Ref +6, Will +0; BAB +0
    Abilities Str 8, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 7
    Racial Abilities +2 Dex/Int, -2 Str; humanoid (goblin); Small (+1 AC/att, -1 CMB/CMD, +4 Stealth); Distrustful (-2 Diplomacy/Handle Animal checks); Deathless spirit (Neg energy resistance 5; no HP loss w/neg levels; +2 saves vs necromancy, death, energy drain, neg energy); Resistant (+2 saves vs mind-affecting effects/poison); Claws (1d3); Poison Use; Toxic Blood (12/day, as swift action gain poison, DC 12, 1 save, 1/rnd for 6 rnds, 1d2 Str); Darkvision (120ft, Light Sensitivity - dazzled in are of bright light)
    Feats Point Blank Shot
    Class abilities Sneak Attack (+1d6); Trapfinding (+1)
    Background Mist Child (In concealment, increase miss chance by 5%); Proficient w/bows & Dymian splintbow; Swift as Shadows (sniping pen reduced by 10, full-speed stealth pen reduced by 5); +2 Bluff, Disguise, and Stealth); Healthy (+4 saves vs disease/poison); Lang (Olcar & Kerran)
    Skills Acrobatics (1) +8*; Bluff (1) +4; Climb* (1) +3; Disable Device (1) +9; Disguise (1) +4; Escape Artist (1) +8; KS: Local (1) +6; Perception (1) +4; Sense Motive (1) +4; Sleight of Hand (1) +8; Stealth (1) +14 * -1 armor penalty
    Languages Olcar, Kerran, Ansin, Karsi
    Favored Class: Rogue (x1 skill pt)
    Weapon Att Dam Crit Rng Wt Size Type Notes
    Claws (x2) +5 1d3-1 x2/20 - - Natural B/S -
    Dagger (x4) +5 1d3-1 x2/19-20 10ft 0.5ea Light P/S Can be thrown
    Dymian splintbow +5 1d4-1 x4/20 50ft 1+1.5 Ranged P 20 arrows
    Armor Type AC Pen Dex Wt Spell Speed Notes
    Studded leather Light +3 -1 +5 10 15% 30ft -
    Equipment pack; pouch; blanket; waterskin; flint & steel; rations x5; whetstone; MW thieves tools (free); disguise kit; silk rope; 2 grappling arrows; earplugs x2; chalk x10; Wire; wrist sheath
    Money None

Spoiler: Description
    Show
    Short and spindly, Therros is an evil-looking git. Even if he weren't a boggart, his glittering black eyes seem to speak of ulterior and selfish motives, darting back and forth in constant paranoia. Few would trust the little goblin further than they could throw him, which given his size is probably a fair distance. Therros has a hooded cloak he typically keeps pulled tightly around his form; underneath are tight leathers and a number of small knives he keeps hidden in various spots. His weapon of choice is the bow, mainly because he prefers to attack from a distance ... hopefully from the safety of the shadows.

Spoiler: Personality
    Show
    For all his untrustworthiness, Therros is actually not a bad man. He wants to be a good man, but life has handed him a bum rap - honestly, who would trust a boggart and especially one from the Blackmire? His kind is rarely welcome anywhere, and few would trust him, regardless of the facts or what he might say. Over the years, he has found it easier to play up the stereotype. Under the guise of a selfish, plotting scoundrel, he actually has been able to do some good from time to time. Make no mistake, however; he wants to be a good man, but he is no saint. He has stolen on many an occasion, if nothing else but to survive. He has killed before, simply to save his own hide. But he is not a thief by nature, nor is he cruel for the sake of cruelty - he simply does what he needs to do in order to make it from day to day.

Who could begrudge him that?

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Therros was born in the warrens of Dymis. In a town known for it's secrecy, life was certainly an evolving mystery. His parents were selfish and cruel, so he fled to the tunnels as soon as he had enough siblings to be missed. He learned quickly to take care of himself, living as a begger, cutpurse, informant, thief ... whatever kept a crust of bread in his hand and a knife out of his back. But life alone in the underbelly of Dymis only held so much glamour, especially when competition for the few spoils was so great. His eyes were always to a better existence, if only he could catch a break and make it happen.

That day came when a stranger caught him trying to steal a pouch full of coins. The man grabbed his hand and dragged him into the toxic shadows of a nearby alley, where Therros was sure he was to be gutted and left to die. Instead, the man pulled back his hood to reveal an aged face with smiling eyes, wearing a strange mask over his mouth. If Therros had to hazard a guess, he would have said Thorosian by the man's looks.

Rather than repaying his attempted thievery with violence, the man instead handed him a small sack filled with food and water, as well as a few coins. "Take this, little shadow. Maybe this will keep you off the streets long enough to find a better way. Hopefully you are quick enough to keep it ... and live long enough to enjoy it." With a chuckle and a wave, the man pulled back up his hood and slipped back onto the streets.

Therros could have reported the man, who obviously didn't belone in Dymis; but he didn't. Instead, he slipped off to his favorite hiding spot and enjoyed the gift, pondering what the man had said. After a few days, he realized the old warrior had been telling him something - life here was never going to be easy, or even guaranteed ... he needed to find something better, and that was probably outside of Dymis.

Gather what few possessions he had, Therros made his way to the edges of Dymis, sneaking and stealing his way to the borders. His most prized possessions came when he robbed a drunken braggart in one of the less reputable inns and found a well-crafted set of lock picks. Praising the Blood King, Therros headed for the boarder colonies, telling anyone he met he was from Loggai or Ro'kas. He was well on his way to a better life ... and along the way, he might even find an opportunity or two to repay the kindness a stranger had shown him long ago.
    Last edited by Starbin; 2014-05-22 at 04:13 PM.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Adding Geonemīs sheet. His speech is in Purple.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.

Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    It can also turn into a Star wars debate.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

But seriously guys. Are we ALL from the caravan?!?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Come on, everybody get on the party caravan!!! Also, my character sheet

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=855968

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Apparently we all just shipped in on the oregon trail or something.

10. - Top - End - #10

BlackDragon

I'll go ahead and add Morbur's sheet, and take teal for speech.

It would appear everyone is new to town, that's interesting.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Nope ... Therros arrived first. He's just hasn't taken to the city, quite yet.

12. - Top - End - #12

Ok, we've had a few changes to character names and text color. Is everyone ok with the new roster? If not, let me know, and you can change again if need be.
    I'll go ahead and respond to the thread tonight, despite Nantafiria not posting yet.
    For future reference, I plan to make 1 post per day, roughly 24 hours after my last post. Anyone who hasn't posted by that time may miss a round of action. If you miss too many days in a row, there may be consequences, and I may have to take control of your character if the situation requires it. We need to keep to a rate of at least 1 post per day per person, though more are certainly welcome. I may, on occasion, post more than once in a day for the benefit of those who are posting more often. There will be no penalties or problems with anyone posting at least once per day.

EDIT
    There seems to be some confusion about Languages. Let's say I have a character from Thoros, who has an intelligence of 13 (+1).
    This character can speak Ansin and Karsi, as perks from his background, and he learns 1 additional language from his intelligence. I select the ability to read Ansin. Then, when assigning my skill ranks, I put a point into Linguistics. I can choose to read Karsi, speak another language, or read another language with that single rank. I choose reading Olcar.
    This character's final languages would be: "Ansin, Karsi (S), Olcar (R)," indicating 4 languages total (speaking and reading Ansin, speaking Karsi, and reading Olcar).
    If this character belonged to a race that could intuitively interpret a certain language (ie. Aasimars can decipher Celestials, and Tieflings can decipher Infernal) then that language should be listed as "Celestial (I)" or "Infernal (I)." Interpreting a language in this way works fro spoken and written forms of that language, but does not grant any ability to speak or write that language.
    Please double check your intelligence bonuses, linguistics ranks, and backgrounds to make sure that you have the correct number of languages, and that all languages are properly identified. Languages granted as class features (druids, some oracles, etc.) need to be run by me if you're not sure how to handle them.
    Last edited by gr8artist; 2014-04-22 at 08:52 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Also, I have now posted in the IC thread, responding to all up-to-date posts.
    Post order in this next round does not need to be the same as last round (beginning with Audriel and ending with Geonem), so long as each player posts once before this time tomorrow. In combat, however, we'll have to keep a standard post order, if possible.

14. - Top - End - #14

BlackDragon

messed up my damage roll for second attack and will roll critical confirmation

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    Critical confirmation: (1d20+5)[23]

first damage: (1d3+2)[5]
    crit damage: (1d3+2)[5]

15. - Top - End - #15

I have replied to the IC thread.
    Cyc, I'll speed your part up a little, and try and get you involved with someone else a little faster.
    Eldon, don't forget TWF penalties when making more than 1 attack. You were too close to charge, but that beautiful offhand crit worked just fine.
    Wolf, you would have just seen the orc level one of the Thoran guards that were accosting him.
    Steve, I'm going to begin bolding your name in black, so it's easier to find. Bold gray commands the same level of attention as standard black. Your text color remains unchanged, this is simply something I'm doing so I can find my interactions with you more quickly.

So, even though the text looks a little weird with conversations spoilered, I'm going to continue doing so as practice for when the whole group gets together.
    Last edited by gr8artist; 2014-04-23 at 04:24 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

I hope it didn't come off as rude or anything? I just recently was in a game that is all but over as of this last week because we had everyone start out on their own, doing their own stuff individually as we all slowly came together... and we couldn't even get together before people started dropping out and not replying anymore. Slow games kill PbP

17. - Top - End - #17

Nah, Cyc, your input is more than welcome. I hope to give everyone the kind of game they enjoy, and I certainly want it to keep going.
    Also, Steve, I may have been a bit vague in Bron's response to you, because you seem to have gotten the wrong impression. Bron is saying that the order of the Withered Rose SOUNDS like a Devotion of Soil subgroup, but he's in the Devotion of Soil and knows of no such group. He says that if you're looking for a subgroup of fighters, then the Devotion of Steel is your best bet. "the right place" is a reference to the Gullet, where the Devotion of Steel is housed.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Welp... that one is on me then :P I guess I kind of over thought it uh?

I suppose he could have a sudden gut feeling that he should stay there? I'll think of something
    Last edited by Stevemantis; 2014-04-23 at 08:19 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

I have a busy day ahead. I won't be able to get to this until this evening or tomorrow morning at the latest.

20. - Top - End - #20

BlackDragon

Thanks for the update

21. - Top - End - #21

Still missing Varaj, but I reckon we'll just keep truckin' on and hope he shows up soon. Ironic, as he's the only member in the group actually FROM Thoros.
    Also, first group-wide event! And just in time to prevent PvP combat! How... fortuitous!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

I don't know what to do, you definitely senced my motive, but do I say what it is here or what?

23. - Top - End - #23

BlackDragon

you could just spoiler it for him, or PM if you don't want to share with everyone

24. - Top - End - #24

It occurs to me to me that everyone in the party speaks Karsi. As we are in a Karsi-speaking region, I will rule that Karsi no longer needs to be spoilered. When we travel to a region where other languages are dominant, this may change.

25. - Top - End - #25

BlackDragon

not sure if this has been addressed here but I'm using Italics in speak colour as his thoughts

26. - Top - End - #26

That certainly works.
    Also, on the subject of intimidation/sense-motive/bluff/etc. in a PvP nature, I shall say this... I don't like it, but I understand that it has its uses and situations. Please only use such actions when you have a legitimate reason to suspect something or need to coerce a character, as I feel like these kinds of things should mostly be used against NPC's.
    Regarding the narrowly dodged PvP fight, and all future fights: please avoid PvP conflict if at all possible. All it does is slow the game down and piss players off. If you feel a situation calls for PvP violence, PM me and the desired opponent. If he also agrees to the fight, then we will conduct such a thing in a much faster setting, most likely here or in a dice-rolling thread. If a PvP fight breaks out, there will be one post in the IC thread, to alert your allies and enemies, and they may join in the side-fight after declaring their intention in the IC thread. PvP fights have a maximum duration of 24 real hours; after that time, the last player to have responded gains an advantage, and will likely knock his opponent out.
    There will be no killing in PvP.
    I know most of these rules are unnecessary, but I feel it's best to get something down on paper so everyone knows where they stand in the future. If it's something for fun, then feel free to do it, but we're not going to hold up the IC thread for a couple days while two players slug it out.

Also, best use of a knowledge check. Props to Cyc.
    Last edited by gr8artist; 2014-04-28 at 07:06 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by gr8artist View Post
    That certainly works.
    Also, on the subject of intimidation/sense-motive/bluff/etc. in a PvP nature, I shall say this... I don't like it, but I understand that it has its uses and situations. Please only use such actions when you have a legitimate reason to suspect something or need to coerce a character, as I feel like these kinds of things should mostly be used against NPC's.
    Regarding the narrowly dodged PvP fight, and all future fights: please avoid PvP conflict if at all possible. All it does is slow the game down and piss players off. If you feel a situation calls for PvP violence, PM me and the desired opponent. If he also agrees to the fight, then we will conduct such a thing in a much faster setting, most likely here or in a dice-rolling thread. If a PvP fight breaks out, there will be one post in the IC thread, to alert your allies and enemies, and they may join in the side-fight after declaring their intention in the IC thread. PvP fights have a maximum duration of 24 real hours; after that time, the last player to have responded gains an advantage, and will likely knock his opponent out.
    There will be no killing in PvP.
    I know most of these rules are unnecessary, but I feel it's best to get something down on paper so everyone knows where they stand in the future. If it's something for fun, then feel free to do it, but we're not going to hold up the IC thread for a couple days while two players slug it out.

Also, best use of a knowledge check. Props to Cyc.
    This sounds good, I was planning to have Morbur glare menacingly and not get along with Geonem, possibly have a talk to work out any differences, but trying avoid killing anyone and getting in trouble with the guard. Also I think they'll warm up to each other after a couple combats and showing each other skills, especially if they manage to save each other or help out specifically... have to see how it develops

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

initiative (1d20-2)[13]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Initiative

(1d20+2)[16]

Edit:quick question, can I challenge a scorpion? I won't get the bonus since they aren't intelligent enough but I can use my iduitsu strike on them
    Last edited by Stevemantis; 2014-04-30 at 10:43 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Initiative - (1d20+4)[19]

We might want to build a table for pertinent character details - that way, our illustrious GM can make certain rolls for us w/o having to look them up. My recommendation is that combat tends to be slow enough on these boards, so the GM rolling initiative to begin with is fine by me!