A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 28 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Default Let's read Life of a Wizard

This will be a let's read of the game life of a wizard , an interactive text adventure available on chrome and ipad. Express permission has been granted by the publisher for this playthrough.

How do I play?

Spoiler
    Show

Simply read the thread and vote on the actions. Actions to vote on
    will be

Marked in blue

Example:

Vote 1:
    * Our character is male
    * Our character is female

Anyone may join and vote at any time. There is no obligation to continue voting once one has started -- simply come and go as you please.

My role, as thread narrator, is to put up the posts and call for votes. After an apparent quorum of votes has been reached, or a specified time has elapsed, I will take action based on the majority of votes. I will explain various courses of action but will NOT vote myself.

Basic mechanics
    Spoiler
    Show

We are given a choice of actions. Actions may increase or decrease our magic, our other skills, or our inventory.
    Using a skill or magic exercises it, making it more powerful and effective for use in later activities. For instance, if we start with a 10 in enchantment, successfully using it will raise it to 20. Repeated uses will raise it even further and allow powerful illusions as well as other effects, but it is dangerous to rely too heavily on one skill. It is possible to get multiple skills and powers to 100 points, and this is recommended for the end game.

All scores and mechanics save alignment are rated with a minimum of 0 and a maximum of 100. The more scores are at 100, the better for the end game.

So, let's start with the character sheet:

The basics

Koi the Aasimar, Royal Wizard.
    Species: Elf.

Alignment : 166 good / -51 evil (EXALTED GOOD!)

Spoiler
    Show

good and evil alignment points are awarded based on actions. Alignment points are zero sum: +10 Good points means -10 Evil points.

Alignment of 100+ good is considered GOOD! and results in gameplay bonuses.

Alignment of 50 good /50 evil is the only "neutral" alignment. Neutral alignment is mandatory for druids, along with a minimum 80 nature (see skills).

Alignment of 100+ evil is considered EVIL! Again, with attendant gameplay bonuses. 100+ evil and 100 Necromancy (see magic) is necessary to achieve Lichdom.

Other attributes
    Spoiler
    Show

Body: 41 [corresponds to constitution, the ability to withstand physical damage]

Personality: 48 [corresponds to charisma -- the ability to persuade others based on raw force of personality]

Willpower: 38 [corresponds to will save: The ability to resist mind-affecting magics or to continue with a course of action despite distraction such as, for example, being on fire ]

Fame: 49 [how well known we are ]

Magical abilities
    Spoiler
    Show

Alchemy: 100 MAX [the ability to brew potions, poisons, and other useful chemicals]

Conjuration: 100 MAX [the ability to evoke fireballs, lightning, ice]

Divination: 100 MAX [the ability to foretell the future, recall the past, or know where other things are in the present]

Enchantment: 100 MAX [the ability to compel people magically, as in charm person ]

Healing: 100 MAX [The ability to cure sickness, and restore health].

Illusion: 100 MAX [the ability to create illusions of any size]

Necromancy: 33 [the ability to command the dead or animate them. 100 Necromancy points necessary for lichdom]

Summoning: 100 [MAX] [the ability to bring in ANY kind of ally, whether natural such as killer bees, a horse for riding, demons , or angels]

Transmutation: 100 MAX [The ability to change fire to water, stone to flesh, rock to ruby, and so on. The ability to change one type of material into another]

Other skills
    Spoiler
    Show

Arcana: 100 [MAX] [academic knowledge of magical phenomena, gained from books ]

Agriculture: 80 [ability to raise food from the earth, pasture livestock, and run a farm or plantation]

Diplomacy: 100 MAX [knowledge of diplomatic niceties and situation such that one could negotiate a treaty. Different from personality in that personality is an inherent trait, while diplomacy is a learned skill. Also, diplomacy would work on a diplomat but not, say, on a band of robbers]

Economics: 65 [Understanding of market economics, supply and demand. Essential for trading and for managing empires]

Fighting: 50 [Proficiency in hand-to-hand combat, whether barehanded or with weapons ]

Geography: 100 MAX [Knowledge of countries, rivers,and lands]

History: 100 MAX [Knowledge of the history of Daria and the surrounding lands ]

Nature: 100 MAX [Knowledge of natural phenomena, the cycles of the earth, biology, and natural pharmacology. Druids need minimum 80 nature.

Religion: 100 MAX [Knowledge of the gods, their worship, and their ways ]

Smithing: 50 [Knowledge of the forging of weapons, armor, and horseshoes]

Thievery: 5 [Skill in breaking and entering, larceny, grand theft, and other methods of separating people from their property].

Warcraft: 100 MAX[Knowledge of tactics and strategy useful for commanding large armies ]

Adventuring Party:
    Fighter: Golem, Mr. Pump [Ring of courage, gauntlets of strength, ordinary sword]. Power: 11
    Thief: Ilse, our best friend [ordinary dagger, boots of silence, cloak of shadows] Power: 9
    Cleric: Harrop Otter, best friend at college[ordinary mace, healer's kit] Power: 9.

Friends:
    Best Friend: Ilse, a gnomish female.
    Bully: Belkar, a halfling male. Driven off.
    First Love: Goldie, a dwarvish female. Deceased.
    Friend at School: Harrop Otter, a half-orc male.
    Husband: Mack Erles, human male.
    My Warhorse named Hippocampus
    Familiar: Coral, the snake.
    Golem : Mr. Pump
    Dragon: Cephelopada
    Factions:

Kingdom of Daria/ordinary citizens: 305 MAX
    Royal Family of Daria: 140 MAX
    Thieves Guild: -15
    Fighter's Guild: 80
    Mage Guild: 240
    Elves [Melian/Now Iszlandí ]: 110
    Dwarves [Foli]: 110
    Orcs:55

Army Power: starting + 1
    Peace Power: Starting.

Inventory: Ruby Ring, Wizard's Robes, Wizard's Staff, Cloak of Protection,
    Dragonwish, a glowing orb of dragon magic
    my grandfather's magical amulet
    Gold: 1760

Adventuring Party FAQ
    Spoiler
    Show

YOUR ADVENTURING PARTY FAQ*
    1) Who is in the party?
    Your adventuring party consists of : Yourself, a fighter, a thief, and a cleric

2) Why is this important?
    You cannot solve all the problems the party may face. Also, successful completion of the adventure requires each party member to be of a certain strength. There will be a mid-career quest and an endquest.

In order to complete the mid-career quest, each of your three partners must have power level 6 or greater.

In order to complete the endquest, the power of the entire party must total 25 or more.

3) What are the power levels?
    Power for a character starts at a minimum of 0 and increases to a maximum of 12. There is an achievement for maxing out all three characters at 12.

Your characters will start at a power as low as 0 or as high as 4, depending on equipment , experience, and natural aptitude.

4) How does a character increase in power?

A character can be increased in power in one of four ways:

4.1) Using them to solve a problem. This will increase their power by one point.
    4.2) Giving them new equipment, either through crafting it or through buying it. This typically will increase their power by one point.
    4.3) Training them. The option may be given either to train by themselves OR to have you train them. This second is only possible if your skill level is considerably greater than theirs.
    4.4) Alignment bonus: One time only in the game, towards the very end, you can get a significant bonus in power to all party members if your alignment is 100+ good [the good gods help you] or 100+ evil [the evil gods help you]. If your alignment falls anywhere between these two extremes you cannot receive the bonus, though it is possible to win without it.

5) So why don't I kick back and let my party members do all the work?
    As a rule, most battles or challenges give you the option to solve them with a skill or power, or to have a party member do it. Using your own skills will improve that specific skill by 10 points minimum, while using a party member will improve the member by one point. However, party members cannot solve all problems , and are not always available, so if you rely wholly on your party members, your own character will be severely undergunned towards the mid- or late-game.

Thus, I recommend using your own skills whenever the option is given, unless that skill is already at 100. Another party member should only be used if your own skills are inadequate for the job.

6) How are party members paid?
    Party members fight "on account" -- they do not receive a salary but instead expect to receive a share of any rewards or plunder acquired. In addition, highly skilled party members may require a one-time signing bonus when they join the party. To off set this, they already have starting equipment which you will not have to buy for them.

Kingdom Rules
    Spoiler
    Show

1) How do I win?

1A) Usher in a golden age of peace.
    1B) Conquer the world.

We must choose ONE of these two options and work towards it; once made, the choice cannot be undone for the duration of the game.

2) How do I make peace?
    2A) Manage every aspect of your kingdom to be at least 'good' in all categories.
    2B) Accrue a minimum of 15 peace points.
    2C) Persuade all 5 factions (elf, dwarf, orc, eastern barbarians, southern kingdom) to peace.
    2D) Win the last battle ( so don't let your combat skills go).

3) How do I conquer the world?
    3A) Manage every aspect of your kingdom to at least 'good' in all categories.
    3B) Obtain a minimum of 15 army points.
    3C) Conquer all 5 factions (elf , dwarf, orc, eastern , southern).

4) How do I manage my kingdom?
    There are several different areas within the kingdom that require improvement,
    such as roads, agriculture, defense, and religion. As a rule, they map to your nonmagical
    skills a 1-to-1 basis. There are exceptions. For instance, arcana does not improve any facet of the kingdom.

The different areas are rated, from best to worst, as follows: Excellent, Good, Tolerable, Poor, Terrible.

When you start, each area of the kingdom is rated Terrible (thank you, King Gareth!)

You MUST move every aspect of the kingdom into a minimum of 'Good', or you cannot win.

Every aspect of the kingdom that is excellent contributes +1 peace or war power, depending
    on the option you have chosen. So the more excellence, the better!

Every few game moves, you will get the option to improve one area.

You improve each area by applying your skill. The degree of improvement is directly proportional
    to your skill. For instance, a skill of 100 will immediately jump you from Terrible to Excellent in one go.
    You will have opportunities to improve your skills, so consider doing the things you have the highest skill
    in first, improving your other skills, then coming back for the remainder later.

ONLY a skill of 100 will vault you directly to Excellent from Terrible. Any other skill level
    will require a minimum of 2 jumps to get to excellent level.

You are also given the option to hire an advisor. An advisor will, for 5000 gold , improve
    ONE skill by ONE category. For instance, 5000 gold will move defense from terrible to poor.

This does not spend moves, so you can do this repeatedly in a turn before applying your own skill, as long
    as you have money. There are other options to spend money, so you might want to hold on till the very
    end of the game to exercise this option.

You can also improve your own skills. In addition to normal training and actions to exercise skill,
    you will be given a single round in which you can buy as many tutoring sessions as you
    wish in any magical discipline, for 5000 gold apiece.
    Training improvement decreases as your skill level goes higher: For example, a single session for enchantment
    at skill 20 should vault you up quite high, perhaps to skill level 50. But the same session spent
    for enchantment at 80 will only move the needle to 90.

Suggest you hold onto your money until you get this training option, bump up as many
    magical disciplines as you can to 100 , then spend the rest on improving the kingdom.

5) How do I acquire Peace points or war points?
    As a rule, they are acquired in much the same way. There is one major difference:
    While peace points cannot be lost, war point can. This occurs if the kingdom's army is
    forced to fight a bloody battle and sustain high casualties, or if a plague strikes the
    land or another monster kills a lot of people.

So war points can be lost. How, then, can both peace points and war points be gained?

5A) The dragonwish, if not used, will earn 2 points at the final test.
    5B) As mentioned, every category of your kingdom rated Excellent will contribute 1 point.
    5C) Different magical disciplines , if brought to 100, are worth 1 point. Different
    disciplines contribute different points. For example, conjuration is worth 1 war point (I think)
    but is not worth anything toward peace. Some, such as Summoning, apply to both.
    5D) 100 faction points with the mage, thieves, and fighter guild are each worth 1 peace point.
    I don't know if there is a corresponding bonus for war points.
    5E) Some achievements, such as slaying Parnaxxus, are also worth 1 point.

6) How do I persuade the factions to peace?
    There are 5 factions: Elf, Dwarf, Orc, Eastern Barbarians (human), Southern Kingdom( human).

You have contact with Elves, Dwarves, and Orcs. Each may be persuaded if you have
    100 faction points OR you have a friend of the appropriate race. Since only Harrop has
    a relationship with the factions (as a half-orc), we must have 100 points with both
    elves and dwarves to perform this task. Possibly our son can help with the elves, but
    I'm not sure.

The Eastern Barbarians and Southern Kingdom are distant and therefore have no faction points.
    Instead, there will be skill-based challenges to persuade them, and I forget what they are.

7) How do I conquer the world?
    As before, each of the 5 factions must be conquered.

You needn't worry about faction points in this outcome; A faction is conquered when either:

A) You dispatch a former member of your adventuring party to act as general. One friend
    may conquer one faction, but once having served this way they cannot do so again.

B) You pass a skill check. There are a number of different ways this can be done, but
    as a rule each option requires TWO magical or non-magical skills to be at 100 in order to
    succeed.

You have three friends and five factions, so you must pass a minimum of TWO skill checks -- each with
    two skills at 100 -- in order to conquer the world.

So them's the rules. Short version: Save your money for training and bring as many skills to 100 as possible.

Decision log:
    Spoiler
    Show

Parents: Cruel
    Sex: Female
    Name Chosen: Koi
    Species: Elf
    My first magical experience was in the village temple.
    I prayed to the good gods in my childish way.
    Best Friend: Female/Gnome/Ilse [pronounced EEL-se]/Bad Influence
    Bully: Male/Halfling/Belkar.
    We didn't want to be bullied, so we started exercising.
    First love: Female, Dwarf, Goldie, Lumber Yard
    We helped out at the temple.
    We nursed the dog back to health
    Attacked by elves
    Hid in basement
    Goldie was killed
    Scribe
    Dog helped us against bully
    We didn't keep the dog as a familiar.
    We stole a ring from a sorcerer.
    The Academy's name is Dory and Marlin's School of Fishery Ichthurgy.
    Borrowed the money for our horse.
    Horse named Hippocampus.
    Told the doorkeeper, Master Durgan, we were here to learn magic.
    Our best subject was illusion
    Friend at the Academy: Harrop Otter, Half-orc, Male .
    Our hobby together was Sword-fighting.
    I studied really hard for Summoning.
    I studied weaponry with Harrop.
    Trouble paying attention in Arcana
    Studied hard in divination
    College boyfriend: Male Human Mack Erles
    We were chaste.
    Studied hard for alchemy.
    Helped out a lot during the transmutation accident.
    Ilse came to visit. She trained Hippocampus.
    We used a ruby ring during conjuration class.
    Use willpower to dominate snakes
    Kept one and named it Coral. It is our new familiar.
    Flirted with the subject to pass enchantment.
    Spoke with nobles at the coronation ceremony.
    Created an illusion extravaganza.
    Stayed with Mack Erles.
    Entered the sword-fighting competition
    We fought well
    We shared a chaste goodnight kiss
    We studied economics
    Invited to the private library of Archmage Lucius.
    We went into the library.
    We took the book and paid 100 gold to a smith to form the golem.
    Named the golem Mr. Pump
    Studied hard for transmutation.
    Generalized after graduation
    Hired Mr. Pump as our fighter
    Hired Ilse as our thief
    Hired Harrop Otter as our cleric.
    Trained Mr. Pump at start.
    Bought Mr. Pump a sword and gave him a ring of courage.
    Bought Ilse an ordinary dagger.
    Bought Harrop an ordinary mace.
    Sent Mr. Pump to chase off the kobolds.
    Accepted the reward.
    Used transmutation to recover the orcs' necklace
    Spare their lives
    haggle for a larger reward.
    We walked the entire way to capture the escaped prisoner
    blocked the punch
    illusion to drive off the sailors
    fed him a sleeping potion
    talked to the prisoner on the way back.
    Called out to find out what his crimes were.
    Illusion to drive out fighters from tavern.
    Craft the gauntlets of strength [needs 25 healing, 25 transmutation, and 10 gold
    Craft the boots of silence [needs 25 illusion, 25 transmutation, and 8 gold]
    * Craft the cloak of shadows [needs 45 illusion , 25 transmutation , 15 gold]
    Craft the healer's kit [needs 30 alchemy, 30 nature, and 30 healing]
    Train Mr. Pump
    Harop Turned the zombies.
    Used divination to find the secret in the tomb.
    Mr. Pump handled the halfling necromancers.
    We stripped the place bare.
    Decided to help Gorion escape the Thieves' guild.
    Used illusion to help him escape.
    he taught us healing.
    Assisted the princess to reach the elves.
    bought horses for the team
    used illusion to foil bandits.
    * I greeted them using the appropriate formalities [requires 30 diplomacy; exercises diplomacy]
    * I spoke with the elven spell-binders, learning their magic [exercises a variety of magical skills]
    * I felt like I was one of them . [improves elf faction and a variety of bonuses]
    * I talked to her and tried to cheer her up.
    * My curiosity got the better of me, so I decided to see the glade again with my own eyes.
    Found the glave by Divination
    Bathed in the water
    Forgave the Elves
    No reward was necessary for rescuing the Princess
    I studied Smithing
    Ilse improved the most.
    Used knowledge of geography to find the hostile in the dwarf mines
    Used illusion to drop it into a cavern.
    Accepted the dwarves' reward
    Used summoning to bring rain to the village
    Declined the villages' reward
    did not equip anyone
    paid the wizard's debt to the fighter guild ourselves.
    Accepted magical training from the wizard.
    Used transmutation to bypass magma in abyss.
    Used illusion to defeat abyss boss.
    Found the ring of courage.
    Married Mack Erles
    honeymoon touring the kingdom's battlefields.
    Studied conjuration
    Studied history
    Accepted the diplomatic mission to the orcs.
    burned the abominable boar twice.
    rewarded with poison kit.
    used diplomacy to make a treaty with the orcs.
    sold second ring of courage for 1700
    gave poison kit to Ilse
    craft an enchanted dagger for Isle
    buy an enchanted sword for Mr Pump
    find the ancient holy symbol for Harrop.
    we went to see Archmagess Dory and Archmage Marlin about the disturbance at the Academy.
    Used Healing to save Martin's life.
    Smashed the artifact against the wall.
    Attempted to bring in the mage responsible for sabotaging the academy.
    Attempted to befriend the unicorn.
    Summoned dolphin to go to water
    Transmutation for gills.
    Found the dagger of sharpness.
    Demanded a fair reward
    Accepted 2000 gold.
    Had son, named him Finn.
    Hired by mage guild.
    Used divination to spy on merchants.
    Turned them in to the guilds.
    Studied summoning , warcraft,
    Trained Harrop
    Bought food for Finn's young friends
    Nobles saw us off on the quest against Parnaxxus.
    Prayed to the good gods for help.
    Asked Parnaxxus to tell us his story.
    countered fire with ice shield.
    Dodged using body. Slew Parnaxxus!
    Killed King Gareth .
    Blamed it on assassins.
    Strove for a golden age
    Improved culture and education
    Attempted to eradicate the thieves guild. Used divination to track them.
    Spoke to the fighter's guild chief.
    Spoke to the mage guild and leveraged our excellent relationship
    Negotiated a fair boundary with the elves using diplomacy and geography.
    Went to the dwarves next.
    Used economics to set tariff at a fair level
    Went to orcs
    Used divination to pull separate the guilty from the innocent.
    Improved ecology
    confronted with fire elementals
    Went into the plane of fire and used divination to find
    the creature while 'to the fire and flames' played in the background.
    Defeated the fire boss with ice.
    Improved the kingdom's foreign relations.
    Used divination to locate my kidnapped son.
    Kicked down the kidnapper's door.
    Used transmute to shrink the kidnappers, then set Coral on them.
    Bound the man responsible by law.
    Spoke to fey creatures to determine who was responsible for a blight.
    Used our religious knowledge to diagnose the problem
    Used angelic nature to drive him away.
    Improved kingdom infrastructure.
    Used religion to strengthen King Travis' character.
    Fire the guards who try to "renegotiate" with us.
    Hired more guards for 200 gold
    used conjuration/chain lightning to fight the bandits.
    fell to bandit leader.
    Focused on summoning.
    Studied arcana
    improved kingdom faith
    with age came wisdom
    Helped my son land his first job.
    Helped him join the academy.
    Used warcraft to train a defense force
    healed the barbarian
    Used conjuration of fire to stop a seaborne invasion of Tornassa.
    The captured barbarian led us to the barbarian king.
    Challenged the barbarian king to a duel.
    Poisoned him during the duel.
    Improved kingdom defense.
    Used history and geography to locate a crypt.
    Fought the priests to get inside.
    Burned the equipment.
    Was invested as archmage.
    Summoned a dragon. Named it Cephelopada.
    kept the money I inherited from my parents.
    Hired a master farmer
    improved economics.
    Sent for Gretchen , the adopted human daughter of the Dwarf King, to marry King Travis.
    A crossbow bolt is fired at the king! I transmuted it.
    Pursued the assassin using transmutation.
    Locked up the assassin quietly.
    Spent 10000 gold to max out enchantment and alchemy.
    Visited Finn often
    Refused to ban all races from the academy.
    Transported by amulet; attempted to escape from a slaver using transmutation.
    Bravely ran away from the slaver.
    Used nature skill to hide in the wild.
    Used nature skill to hide in the wild, again.
    Used conjuration to lay waste to the army.
    Marshaled the troops and led a counterattack.
    Enchanted an enemy officer to retrieve the amulet.
    Gave the survivors a duchy of their own.
    The citizens demanded that power be returned to the king.
    Studied necromancy because it is the only other subject we do not have 100 in.
    Studied agriculture.
    Hire tax advisor and improved agriculture.
    Golden age preparations.
    Did NOT use dragonwish.
    Ensured thieves guild was still out of business
    Reminded everyone that we had killed Parnaxxus.
    Used credentials to burnish the case.
    Crafted the sword of kings
    Crafted potions of enhanced happiness
    summoned hordes of beings to work for the kingdom.
    I rehabilitated alcoholics, drug addicts, and criminals.
    I stopped accidents before they occurred.
    I stopped plagues and cured the common cold
    As Archmage, called upon the mage Guild to give council
    during the Council of Peace.
    Negotiated with the elves.
    They respected our warning [80 elf faction]
    We visited the dwarves. They also respected our warnings.
    We visited the orcs. Harrop escorted the Chieftain.
    Visited the barbarian king [Throm]of the north. Used diplomacy to persuade him.
    Visited the Emperor [Shaddam] of the south. Used Cephelopoda, my draconic partner, to bring him back.
    Used a potion to fight off the effect of assassin's poison.
    summoned bees to fight off assassins
    Appoint Finn to be successor.
    GAME COMPLETE 13 OCT 2014.

Flavor: Academy is named Dory and Marlin's School of Ichthurgy! .
    Archmage Lucius renamed Archmage Marlin with colleague Dory.
    Last edited by pendell; 2014-10-13 at 08:59 PM. Reason: updating for 15 Aug
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Let's read Life of a Wizard

Following with interest.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

3. - Top - End - #3

Planetar

So, now that the preliminaries are out of the way, let's get started, shall we?

Quote Originally Posted by The Story
    ... Wizards. From the kindly old white-bearded casters wearing robes with stars and moons to the battle-hardened war-mage throwing fireballs at dragons. The royal family has always had one on hand: a wise diviner to lead the kingdom into peace or a dangerous conjurer to dominate all of the land under one rule. Or perhaps a divine healer? An alchemist? Or even a necromancer? The combinations are boundless. Let me tell you my story.

I wasn't always a wizened old wizard, you know. Wizards begin their lives the same as everyone else. I was born in a small village in the kingdom of Daria. King Norbert and Queen Audrey reigned in the capital city of Tornassa, which was many miles away from my small village.

Vote 1:
    * My parents were good people.
    * My parents didn't want me.

It was a [start] for a

Vote 2: What is our sex?
    * Male
    * Female

They named me

Vote 3: What is our name?
    We are provided with the option of typing in our name, but there
    is a set of recommended names as well. The exact list depends on whether we are male or female.

I grew up in the village of Elmvale where nearly everyone was human, although there were a few exceptions. The entire kingdom of Daria was like that, besides the dwarves under the Grey Mountains, the elves in the Alderheart Forest, and the orcs in the wilderness to the west. Our kingdom was very racially tolerant ... when I was young.

Vote 4: What is our species?
    * My parents and I were human (bonus to diplomacy and to Kingdom faction).

* My parents and I were elves (bonus to elf faction, nature, and willpower)

* I was a half-elf (smaller bonus to nature. Bonus to thievery, willpower, and body).

* My parents and I were full blood orcs (Bonuses to orc faction, fighting, body. Penalties to willpower and personality).

* I was a half-orc (smaller bonus to orc faction, fighting, body, smaller penalties to willpower and personality)

* My parents and I were dwarves (bonus to dwarf faction, smithcraft, and body) .

* My parents and I were hobb- halflings. (bonus to personality and thievery, penalty to body).

* My parents and I were gnomes (bonus to economics and start with Illusion magic +25).

* My parents and I were goblins (bonus to thievery, economics, penalty to willpower and personality)

* My parents and I were trolls [I did say 'racially tolerant'] (bonuses to fighting, body, and starts with healing magic +15. Penalties to willpower and personality).

SPECIAL NOTE: Elves, humans, and orcs are biologically compatible and may naturally sire offspring.

---

So this is our first post and our first set of choices:
    1) Do our parents love us?
    2) What is our name?
    3) What is our birth-sex?
    4) What is our species?

Of these, #4 will have the largest game-play impact.

Discuss. Normal discussion should be in normal text. Cast your vote in red . I will act on your choices when 48 hours have elapsed or I get a significant number of votes.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2014-04-22 at 05:31 PM.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Alright lets get started.

1. Our parents didn't want us.
    2. We are female
    3. Koi
    4. We are an Elf
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, let's get rolling.

1. My parents were good people.
    I'll abstain from 2 and 3, having no preference.
    4. My parents and I were gnomes. Because illusions are fun.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

1. Didn't want us.
    2. Male
    3. I like the name Koi
    4. Full Blood Orc
    because an orc wizard would please me to no end.
    Last edited by Dragonus45; 2014-04-22 at 06:07 PM.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hmm.

1. Our parents didn't want us
    2. We were a girl
    3. We were named Esmerelda
    4. Our parents and I were full-blooded humans

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

1. Our parents did love us.
    2. We are female
    3. Koi
    4. We are an Elf

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

* My parents didn't want me.

* Female

* Fuschia

* My parents and I were hobb- halflings. (bonus to personality and thievery, penalty to body).
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

y'know, just because you didn't want a child doesn't automaticaly make you a bad person. Just sayin'.

Anyway:

*Nice parents

*Female

*Morgana

*Dwarf (troll would be a fun alternative, too)

The world needs more dwarf enchanteress
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2014-04-23 at 02:04 AM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

11. - Top - End - #11

Planetar

Voting tabulation as of 9 AM this morning.

Name: 3 votes for koi, 1 each for Esmeralda, Fuschia,and Morgana.
    Birth Sex: 5 votes Female, 1 vote male
    Parents: 4 votes cruel, 3 votes kindly.
    Species: 2 votes elf, 1 vote each for orc, dwarf, gnome, halfling, and human.

If the vote remains unchanged as of 5 PM Eastern Time (GMT-4), today, this is what we'll go with.

If anyone wants more time for debate and discussion, speak up now and I'll extend the deadline.

In the event of a tie, I'll ask all voters to roll 1d100 percentage dice using the forum die rolling software, high roll wins. Use of the forum die roller is explained in this link .

Let me test .. [roll]1d20[/roll]

That's odd. It seems to work in the forum dice roller thread but I'm having trouble here. Let me try it again in a brand new post.

ETA: It doesn't seem to be working. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Or maybe the die roller doesn't work in silly message board games?

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2014-04-23 at 08:22 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Voting tabulation as of 9 AM this morning.

Name: 3 votes for koi, 1 each for Esmeralda, Fuschia,and Morgana.
    Birth Sex: 5 votes Female, 1 vote male
    Parents: 4 votes cruel, 3 votes kindly.
    Species: 2 votes elf, 1 vote each for orc, dwarf, gnome, halfling, and human.

If the vote remains unchanged as of 5 PM Eastern Time (GMT-4), today, this is what we'll go with.

If anyone wants more time for debate and discussion, speak up now and I'll extend the deadline.

In the event of a tie, I'll ask all voters to roll 1d100 percentage dice using the forum die rolling software, high roll wins. Use of the forum die roller is explained in this link .

Let me test .. [roll]1d20[/roll]

That's odd. It seems to work in the forum dice roller thread but I'm having trouble here. Let me try it again in a brand new post.

ETA: It doesn't seem to be working. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Or maybe the die roller doesn't work in silly message board games?

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Dice rolling doesn't work over here, to the best of my knowledge, nor do I believe it ever has. I suggest that you randomly determine it yourself with physical dice or whatever else - apart from anything else, that's much quicker, and gets us on to the rest of the game faster.

Also, come on, folks! More votes for gnomes!

13. - Top - End - #13

Planetar

A good suggestion. In the event of a tie I'll roll 1d20 for each, high roll wins. Rolls to be conducted using random.org's true random generator .

Respectfully,

Brian P.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Sounds good, although tbh, I'm cool if you just go the way you prefer in the case of a tie, lets get this going :)

15. - Top - End - #15

Planetar

Okay, story starts again of Koi, an elf girl, age 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Life of A Wizard
    I remember the day I was born

... my parent's didn't want me.
    It was a start for a terrible baby girl.
    They named me Koi.

It was sometimes a little bit difficult for me, being an elf
    growing up in a village of humans, but I managed. The myths
    about our longevity were greatly exaggerated, and my parents
    were actually the same age as everyone else.

[Elf Faction: +25. Nature +25, Willpower+5]

My parent's weren't poor, although they never bothered to ensure that my clothes were without holes or that my shoes fit. They fought a lot , and my father was often drunk. They never hit me, but I think that this was because they knew the temple priests would never allow such a thing.

I always had the impression that they were waiting for me to become old enough to move out.

Even as a young child I was drawn into the unknown. I remember my first magical experience, though I was only five at the time. I didn't know where my parents were, but I wandered off
    alone ...
    Vote #5:

* ... into the forest.
    * ... into a graveyard.
    * ... into the temple.
    * ... into the village witch's hut

If enough votes come in, next move will be at 5:30 PM tomorrow.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

Vote #5: Into the Temple

I think it would be so cool.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

#5 into the village witch's hut
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2014-04-23 at 05:03 PM.

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Into the graveyard.
    Show
    You're my favorite.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Temple or witch's hut....
    Temple I think
    Last edited by Koalita; 2014-04-23 at 05:11 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Koalita View Post
    Temple or witch's hut....
    Temple I think
    Votes should be in red

Witch's hut
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Witch's hut, methinks.

22. - Top - End - #22

Vote #5:

...into the graveyard.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Vote #5: Into the Temple
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

24. - Top - End - #24

Planetar

Apologies for the delay. I've spent the past three hours troubleshooting a down client.

We have three votes for the witch's hut and three votes for the temple.

Witches' hut = 6
    Temple = 14

So it's off to the temple we go!

Quote Originally Posted by The Story
    It was a large structure and completely empty that day. I walked right up to the front altar, bold as brass. I saw the candles spread out and smelled the aroma of the incense burning in small censers nearby.

Vote #6:
    * I prayed to the good Gods, in my own childish way.
    * I prayed to the evil Gods, in my own childish way.

So ... are we Redcloak or Durkon? :)

Respectfully,

Brian P.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Good gods.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Good gods y'all!
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Good gods, o' course.
    Show
    You're my favorite.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

Good Gods!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Evil gods.
    So they may give us the power to make our uncaring parents pay one day

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

30. - Top - End - #30

Vote #6:

We prayed to the good Gods, in our own childish way.