New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Luck of Heroes [3.5 Fighter Bonus Feat] PEACH

If you take a look at various Fighter archetypes, you will see that they always manage to luck into possessing some incredibly useful and powerful magical artifacts that enable them to do their heroic deeds. Sadly, normally no such support is given in the D&D rules set. Thus, this feat:

Feat: Luck of Heroes [Fighter bonus feat]
    Prerequisite: Fighter level 1
    Benefit: If you have X fighter levels, look up WBL table for that X. A powerful being grants you the use of a single magic item worth no more than 1/3 of that value. You are automatically proficient with it and can use it even if you normally don't have the necessary prerequisites to do so. If it has limited charges, every day it is automatically recharged for the amount worth of that WBL/15 (if it is something like Ring of Three Wishes, it might take several days to get a single charge back). Every time you get another Fighter level, you can exchange this item for a new such item.
    You are not the owner of this item, so you can't sell it, it doesn't count towards your WBL and you can use it even if you've taken Vow of Poverty.
    If you happen to lose this item, you are obligated to retrieve it or reimburse its owner for its cost.
    Special: you can take this feat multiple times. Each time, it applies to a new item.
    It takes 1d3 days to acquire this item, so bonus feats gained through the use of Heroics spell can't be used on this feat.
    Last edited by SinsI; 2014-04-25 at 07:06 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Luck of Heroes [3.5 Fighter Bonus Feat] PEACH

Personally, I think it does some weird stuff with overall balance and game design that I don't care for. An ancestral weapon might make more sense, or allowing you to take the feat, gaining a magical item in the next suitable loot stash. Arbitrarily allowing you to swap out the weapon, preventing sales and trades, and making it fighter only all seem weird.
    My Homebrew and Extended Signature
    Current avatar: Charza Sahlaren, by gr8artist

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: Luck of Heroes [3.5 Fighter Bonus Feat] PEACH

Quote Originally Posted by gr8artist View Post
    Personally, I think it does some weird stuff with overall balance and game design that I don't care for. An ancestral weapon might make more sense, or allowing you to take the feat, gaining a magical item in the next suitable loot stash. Arbitrarily allowing you to swap out the weapon, preventing sales and trades, and making it fighter only all seem weird.
    Well, Fighter is the class that without equipment does absolutely nothing, so that's why I was thinking of giving it a versatile feat that scales in power with the Fighter level. I think the end result is a bit too strong, though, and makes other fighter feats more or less obsolete - which is always a bad thing.
    I think I'll try to change it so that the feat grants item that depends on other Fighter feats he has instead of just his Fighter level, creating a synergy between them. Just has to be careful of running into Heroics abuse...