New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Question SCP Foundation system choice and Pelgrane Press products

Hi playgrounders,

As per the necromancy rules, I create this new thread after finding this old one on Google.
    I too am interested in DMing some games in the SCP Foundation setting and have been looking for a fitting system.
    My intention is for the players' objective to be the tracking, acquiring and retrieving of Anomalies.

I expect combat to be rare but meaningful when it happens. It should not be freeform (that won't work with my intended group) but allow players to get creative.

I have never tried the Gumshoe system but Trail of Cthulhu was recommended quit a few times in that old thread and sounds interesting enough. I'd prefer a modern system though and don't know how easily I portable ToC is to modern days. I have also seen that Pelgrane offers a couple more Gumshoe-based cosmic horror systems, Fear Itself, Night's Black Agents and The Esoterrorists. Especially the latter was only briefly mentioned in the thread I linked but sounds like it may be good fit.

Anybody else played some of these systems and can judge if they would serve my purpose best?

Thanks in Advance!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: SCP Foundation system choice and Pelgrane Press products

If you were running a game for D-class employees, I'd tell you to use Paranoia.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by thisisacat View Post
    If you were running a game for D-class employees, I'd tell you to use Paranoia.
    I'm not overly familiar with Paranoia (Listened to a couple of podcasts where they played it) beyond the basics, but considering the way the Foundation is run I would actually incorporate elements of the former even if you don't use the system itself. The impersonal nature of both settings, the levels of authorization, and I wouldn't be shocked to read a tale where they've got clones of the really important researchers.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah any lite rules system is probably good. I can imagine there would be a high mortality rate for a game based on SCP.

Gumshoe is a good suggestion
    Aside from "have fun", i think the key to GMing is putting your players into situations where they need to make a choice that has no perfect outcome available. They will hate you for it, but they will be back at the table session after session.